Morrowind

I just beat Gaenor. I'm a level 18 Redguard fighter, and haven't used any exploits, or even done any min-maxing. And I'm playing vanilla.
Everyone made it sound like it would be an incredible slog. I have top-tier gear, but still. I expected more. Even UESP mentions people fighting him for 45 solid minutes. Are people just bad at this game for some reason?

Here are my stats:

Also, Morrowind (or general Elder Scrolls) thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

manuals.bethsoft.com
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Redguard
gog.com/game/the_elder_scrolls_iii_morrowind_goty_edition
mega.nz/#!tgtnAYqB
imperial-library.info/
mega.nz/#!tgtnAYqB!EZxiW8_H7A3RAjFg0iQM__vOozruNyOrxJyNEOex6KM
openmw.org/2017/openmw-0-43-0-released/
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5701/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It really depends on the way you fight him tbh
shit tread btw

Whacking him with Goldbrand, avoiding his strikes when possible, and occasionally healing with Eleidon's Ward.
Why?

isn't there another elder scrolls thread up?
Also it's a bit of "worked for me" thread and nobody really cares.
You can't even turn this into a casual filter thread since you fight the nigger relatively late.

No.
Just trying to give an anecdote to get the thread started. It's not supposed to be specifically about my fight.
Shitposting OPs are my favorite type. Different strokes, I guess.

Adrenaline Rush and poison resistance is breddy gud, and they get +15 to Long Blade.

Throw yourself into a fucking volcano.

I didn't minmax because I've done it before, and it's soul-crushing tedium. You can try to build a good character without going full autist.

Confirmed for never having played Morrowind. Its archery feels like dogshit compared to the later games. I took Marksman as a minor skill just in case, though.

Newfag please go.

Nigger, I know all about the stealth archer maymay, but I just wanted to sword-and-board shit up. Your posturing is obnoxious. Especially since you apparently can't even read the catalog.

It's time to go and stay go.

The stealth archer joke started with Oblivion you dumb fuck.

So, is alchemy considered an exploit?

Only if you do the thing where you stack Fortify INT, in my opinion.

Relative to the other races in Tamriel, Redguards aren't all that niggerlike.

What about when you drain an attribute and then buy training really cheap :^)

I've never used trainers, so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Trainers are the best. Once you start replaying the game a lot with multiple characters, you will come to appreciate how much it lets you skip the boring grind, and get straight to the meat of the game. Finding master trainers in unlikely places is also a lot of fun.

Stealth archers?

Ditch Morrowind and buy a copy of Skyrim Special Edition right now, fellow gamer.

Skyrim didn't win a single award.

You can't tell me what to do, Todd.

You spelled "rapist" wrong.

Ahnassi wanted it.

All of the frustration over Gaenor comes from that absurd Luck enchantment on his amulet. That means the level of annoyance you have with his fight is largely down to rng. His absurdly high luck can make you just miss miss miss miss miss like all the people who whine about missing think the entirety of Morrowind is like.

I remember one master trainer (for Restoration, I think) somewhere in the Grazelands allowed me to train it even having it at 100 already. If you have tons of money, you can sink it all for practically unlimited leveling of your char.

I was gifted a copy of ESO: Gold Edition recently so I gave it a look.
Apparently you can't really be a stealth archer. Anyone else here ever play it? If so, is it worth getting into? I like how combat feels more responsive than it did in Oblivion and Skyrim but I don't know how grindy the rest of the game is yet.

Is that lich in Tribunal harder than Gaenor? I plan on killing her, but I don't know whether or not I should try to get Helseth's ring first.

When I fought him with many builds I barely hit him and his magic resistance fucked me over. I've spent a good 25 minutes last time after chugging a lot of self-made fortify luck potions.

That's insane. Maybe I just got lucky, but for me it took 2 or 3 minutes. Also, why sage?

Why the fuck does this shitty game get so much praise and thread real-estate on Holla Forums?
Who the fuck thought randomizing the literal core mechanic of your game was a good fucking idea?
They may as well have put fucking dicerolls on successfully opening doors or gave talking to strangers a 1 in 5 chance of fatally failing.
Literally fuck this game.

Ok.

You made your character wrong. Agility determines chance to hit, and chance to evade. You also need a high weapon skill. All of this can be accomplished in character creation. This game isn't idiot-proof like Skyrim. You should git gud instead of complaining about a system that you didn't bother spending five minutes to learn.

Also, you need to hold down the attack button before you release, since that determines how much damage you do. That's even spelled out for you in the manual.

Also mind the fatigue

Confirmed bait, 1/10 made me post

R E A D T H E M A N U A L
E
A
D

T
H
E

M
A
N
U
A
L

The game has tooltips on character creation just hold the mouse over a stat and a box will come up describing what it does.

IMPECCABLE GAME DESIGN, FOLKS. 10/10 GOAT

manuals.bethsoft.com

This isn't true. Sure, you can maximize your chance to hit, but you'll still miss a lot at the beginning stages of the game, especially if you try to run instead of walking at a snail's pace.

In the early game, I didn't miss much, and I didn't run when I was out in the wilderness, in case I ran into enemies. By the time I reached level 10, I was running everywhere and almost never missing.
It's really not that hard.

It's not an action game, faggot.

I remember having an IQ89 friend like you as a kid who just randomly created a character without paying any attention and then just ran around and attacked the first enemy he saw and died because he didn't hit it a single time. He was using an iron axe without actually having any skill to use it and because he ran around like a headless chicken his fatigue was 0 before the battle. He didn't like Morrowind.

Then I bought the game and tried it myself, paid some attention in the character creation and picked the long blade skill as major skill and then used a long blade as a weapon to kill my first enemy. It took just a few hits to kill it. I also paid attention to the fatigue bar and used the wait/sleep mechanism before engaging an enemy which I guess requires too much wit for some to utilize. I quite enjoyed Morrowind.

Just figured something out: Goldbrand (fire damage) + Dragonbone Cuirass (resist fire 100%) = Enemies' reflect is ineffective against me.
Feels good.

I love it when underage miscreants have never played an RPG in their short lives, and they are completely foreign to the idea of dice rolls. I can't wait to see the autistic screeching once someone shows them DnD.

I though the thread degraded into a bad discussion. My bad.

And yeah, his fight is heavily bs. I perfectly agree to him being the strongest enemy. He's particularly nasty if you're a stealth stabby character.

The thing is, even if you don't know shit about the systems, if you spend more than an hour in the game, you can still get stronger. My first playthrough I just randomly picked things with 0 knowledge of the game. Bit by bit I learned the systems and before I knew it, I reached level 20.

Is there any mods that makes unarmed combat stronger or werewolves to be a bit more viable?

I like how good unarmed is 1v1 but its slow at killing enemies and not that strong late game.

IIRC, there's an option for that in the Morrowind Code Patch, but it makes the werewolves in Bloodmoon hit like a ton of bricks–so if you plan on fighting them, beware.

I've actually put a lot of thought to this, and I think I've figured out why dice rolling irritates people so much in games:

When you play table-top, the dice is an extension of you. It is your weapon - your connection to the game. You have no control over the result, but you have a control over the roll. You can see the result on display. But in a computer game, you can't see the result. You don't roll the dice yourself. You do, however, see your weapon hit. So when it doesn't actually hit, that triggers you.

That said, this sort of retardation:

Has no real place. If you put even the slightest bit of thought into character creation for Morrowind, you're never going to miss. For fuck's sake.

Talking about Morrowind. what happened to the Holla Forums Morrowind online server? did the owner just give up and did not bother to fix the shit that happened there?

You're exactly right. The action on the screen should never contradict what the game's system is telling you, especially for a real-time, first-person game.
They could have kept the dice-roll but avoided this problem, by either: A) tying it completely to damage, and giving all weapons a minimum damage of 1, or B) having a different animation for a miss.
But as you said, misses are rare if you know what you're doing.

For any newfags who are curious:
1. Choose a weapon skill as a major skill, and use it exclusively, at least in the early game.
2. Keep your fatigue up. (It helps if you avoid running all the time, until you're powerful enough that it doesn't matter.)
3. Hold down the attack before you release, since that does more damage.
4. Invest in Agility, since that determines chance to hit (and chance to evade). If you're a melee character, Agility and Strength should be your go-to attributes, after Endurance. (You want to max out Endurance as early as possible, since it determines how much health you gain when you level up.)

That was fun while it lasted, but if I were the hostfag I'd wait for the mod to get further along before starting it up again. Not being able to see/be affected by other players' custom spells/potions on top of them not being saved when you quit the server kind of sucks. I was spamming 10000ft-wide fireballs for like 10 minutes before I realized nobody was even able to notice what I was doing. Shit was gay.

You know a lot of people say this but even using a minor skill weapon at the early game can still hit most of the mudcrabs/kwama/bandits you come across at the first few levels. Hell if that skill has a racial bonus on top of it you're in the clear. Also magic is incredibly viable early on, the on-touch destruction spell you get works great even against dunmer and you can always rest up to restore magicka assuming you didn't take the best birthsign in the game the Atronach sign

why play this ugly shit when Skyrim Special Edition's Creation Club has brand new deals every day to enhance its gameplay?

No Todd.

Of course, why wouldn't you want to play the most refined The Elder Scrolls™ - Skyrim™ Special Edition™ instead of an over-complicated and segmented game with too much dialogue and difficult to learn mechanics?

Thinking about doing a run, how bad is vanilla for playing at max, or windowed? Is the code fix all I need for the best experience?

To be fair, they don't have any particular downsides ingame, even if they only have anti-poison resistance. Am I missing something?

Just use OpenMW if you're going to play vanilla.
Adrenaline Rush is the best racial power in the game

I really need to get back on my housing mod.

Is Morrowind Rebirth fun ?
What weapon skill should I take as a backup for my bosmer mage? Longsword is getting kind of old.

The newest version of MCP made it so strength unarmed bonus does not apply to werewolves.

Morrowind Rebirth adds a lot of fun features but the rebalancing will fuck with you. Get ready to miss a lot more during the start of the game. Traveling prices have been increased for longer distance transport like silt striders. The new items and dungeons are very fun and the newest version has remade most of the ancestral tombs. Alchemy has been nerfed (as best as it really can be), low-tier potions are no longer useless, towns are overhauled and more detailed, there's great new music, only infected animals will now attack etc. Keep in mind however that Rebirth is incompatible with a ton of mods. Look at Morrowind Modding Showcases to see what mods are compatible with it. I'd recommend it if you can stomach gameplay difficulty changes and a much lower hit chance at the start.

I'd recommend going for a monk-type mage. Hand-to-hand is very very strong if you have good speed and will wreck through anything. Getting sanctuary enchanted wizard robers and doing spellcasting throughout the rest of the playthrough. Basically like a religious person out for blood.

House mods are shit, turn it into a dungeon.

Thanks, that was pretty cool.

All things in time.

W O M B B U R N

Hey, I remember this from a past thread.

They're the best sword-and-board race.

I kinda find it funny how in TES redguards are some of the most respected and the niggers are essentially the Orcs since they're dumb and just beat up shit while the Khajit are gypsies that just steal.

ar you black, user?
it's okay if so, you're with friends here.

I think redguards are supposed to be more like arabs and orcs are the niggers, yeah.

Redguards are the Moors
Orcs are the Monguls

No, I just like rolling fighter characters in RPGs.
El oh el.

Personally I like playing as the predominant race in the specific TES game so I play Dark Elf in Morrowind, Nord in Skyrim I don't play much Oblivion. It just feels right.

Have we played the same games? I recall dialogue about how Redguard warriors are undisciplined, uncoordinated and uncooperative barbarians.

I've read the same dialog about how they're some of the strongest and best sword users in all of Tamriel. Perhaps it's the specific race feeling so much against them?

Yeah, I would have preferred playing a Dunmer or Imperial for lore reasons, but Redguards are just too convenient a choice for my preferred play style.
Your choice of race in Skyrim doesn't really affect the game at all, outside of Altmer getting a magicka boost.

Forgot image.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Redguard

I just prefer it for my own personal immersion. Albeit Skyrim's story is so awful. Luckily I've found an amazing mod and combining that with a bunch of gameplay mods has made a much more pleasant experience.

I've taken a quick glimpse at that image but there's more to a lot of the info. Also, Morrowind does have level scaling but the level scaling is limited depending on the specified area. Bandit caves won't scale much while daedric ruins will scale with stronger creatures as you level up. The Dark Brotherhood scaling is a bit annoying as they get some nasty weapons but it all makes sense and isn't nearly as frustrating as Skyrim or Oblivion's systems. It's a lot more fair.

I could see someone calling them barbarians since they did need to raid and conquer a lot of land after Yokuda got fucked, but they are far from uncoordinated. They're excellent swordfighters, they simply have no respect for any authority that isn't their own, which may give the Imperials reason to think that they have no discipline.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition/Hammerfell

also this

I don't recall the dialogue coming from an Imperial though. I think it was from that one House Dres NPC in Vivec.

Dude, Dres just thinks anyone who isn't an elf is uncoordinated, undisciplined, and uncooperative. You're talking about one of the most xenophobic Houses in Morrowind.

I'm not saying that your memory is necessarily wrong, or that that character's interpretation is completely inaccurate, I'm simply disputing the idea that Redguards are uncoordinated fighters seeing as how their stats in-game say otherwise; on top of that, their entire homeland sunk into the ocean because an ancient swordfight broke reality if you believe kirkbride's out-of-game ramblings

What do you know, i PLAYED A STEALTH ARCHER THE WHOLE GAME IN OBLIVION.
Let me tell you why it's dogshit: enemy detection is broken.
Once an enemy saw you, every enemy saw you.
It wouldn't matter if your arrows hit hard, but no, i modded in a hugely op bow and glitched a bunch of 60 fire damage glass arrows, and i still was doing an average at best damage.
But wait, i can crit by stealthing!
Except most enemies wouldn't die in one hit, and you would get shit like the springanns which would stop taking damage at one hp and cast a full hp restore on themselves for free and with no load time, targeting you and alerting all the other enemies in the room aswell.
That, combined with no way to raise your crit damage made archery the worse weapon in the game, and archery the worst skill.

Morrowind is not for the stealth archer, but rather for the katana edgelord. Fucking weebs.

Thanks user, I'll try it out. The incompatibility with LGNPC quests kinda hurts, but the dungeons alone seem like a ton of fun. Shame Fulgore won't release them as a separate plugin, I suspect Trancemaster is keeping him locked in his basement to slave away at Rebirth.

It's only incompatible with Pelagiad. Otherwise it's perfectly fine to use.

The author says you should use LGNPC dialogue only; can you actually use the normal plugins if you skip Pelagiad?

Yes. As long as you avoid Pelagiad things should work fine. I've used it before with little to no problems. It's Pelagiad that really causes issues (probably due to some sort of edit there).

Although if there's edits to ancestral tombs from LGNPC-specific quests, avoid them.

I got hopeful and then kinda spooked for a Pax Redoran walkthrough. Thinking about it though, loading Pax after MR should solve the conflict, as long as it's only interior changes, a cell overriding another (if my TES modding memory serves). It's with exteriors that you start to get buried buildings, floating objects, and landscape seams.

Should be fine then. Just remember to avoid Pelagiad at all costs. And yeah, the Pax Redoran quests are quite fun really. I like the sword master at Molag Mar.

Worse comes to worst, a quick touch on the CS should fix the issue. Papa bless, user.

If I recall correctly, Pelagiad is the worst of the LGNPC modules anyway, as it adds shit like Redguards turning into guars.

Really? That's pretty dumb.

Anyway anons, thank you for the discussion but I must be off to sleep now!

That's not correct. If it was zero the knight would say he doesn't have any int. Stop using shitty edits made by poos with no grasp of english.

Tel Mora is actually good, because it gives you less reason to play Telvanni, and more reason to play the sorely mishandled Redoran.

in all honestly I prefer Oblivion.

You don't even need to start with a decent character, I played it blind when it first released a goty edition. I didn't know what the fuck I was doing but figured out fortify fatigue potions and bound dagger pretty fucking fast. You just literally have to play the game.

After I'm done with Tribunal and Bloodmoon, I'm going to take a break and play something like Dragon Age. But after that, I plan on doing Oblivion. So look forward to a few more Oblivion threads that will undoubtedly be shitted up by people who hate it. :^)

>get every single line right except one
These quests are just fantastic. I'm also a big fan of the DLC areas having a lot more open space; it really conveys a much better sense of scale than the claustrophobic tombs and caves you're usually fucking around in. The sewers felt pretty spooky.

fucking what?
so even if you hit the enemy it can simply miss?
what is this, final fantasy?
i understand the spell shit but not the swing shit. And the idiot marks that as a positive thing, fucking faggot.
Tes games are and will remain shit.

This is a game series based on diceroll pen and paper combat systems. If you hit you hit, if you miss you don't hit. Play Skyrim and Skyrim 2: The Elder Scrolls if you're too much of a godless faggot pleb mongrel to appreciate the good ones.

Yes, go away.

If so, why would they even try to make this a hybrid and simply take the worst things of both.
It's just broken.

Why do you people get so defensive when someone points out that a fucking action RPG should give the player abilities based on their stats to determine what they can do, instead of just rolling dice to see if the attack that you aimed in real time and first person to hit the enemy actually hit? Using dice rolls to determine hitting works in turn based or isometric etc. games. It's just mind bogglingly retarded in an action game where you can control all the movement and attacking yourself, only for your weapon to pass right through the enemy. It's just incredibly stupid and fails to make proper use of the genre. What they could have done was give you slower or clumsier attacks that got better as your skills improved, to actually make sane use of the whole stat-based action RPG system, but instead they just pick the worst of two worlds.

But of course, blindly defending shitty gameplay decisions is just what TESfags do. They act like gameplay mechanics that mix like water and oil is something to be proud of.

Morrowind isn't an action RPG game though. As far as I'm concerned, everything before Oblivion had first person as a gimmick, not a main mechanic focus. Stop being a faggot for not understanding what the game is about.

Or simply make the hit do even less damage than regular ones, which would make more sense than the sword going through the enemy.
Like a reversed critical hit.

No, it's just listed as one, you double nigger.
Your roll dicing games are the main cause for games having overall balancing issues. Go play xcom.

Games that draw from tabletop also usually have additional roll table aside from the hit/miss one. Your character could very well land a hit but reach a more armored spot or get the angle wrong and end up doing just one point of damage. Conversely, the more skilled characters manage to land more critical hits or abuse the enemy's armor holes. The skill/attribute scaling is usually also linear and in Morrowank it seems exponential for every skill. Tabletop games don't allow overcapping with your 5000 attribute potions either.

It takes the worst out of tabletop systems while not using the power of PC to handle multiple dice rolls at once for a more advanced simulation than any tabletop GM could hope to carry out. It's a piss poorly designed system and its flaws are glaring, especially in the DEFAULT first person mode.
You're retarded. Everything before Morrowank had first person as the sole option, so of course it was the main focus when it came to designing entire game mechanics and interactivity of the world. What's next, sidescrollers not being designed around sidescrolling?

I really wanted to like Morrowind. Well, it has a lot of good things about it, like the beautiful stories (I spent hours reading the books in Morrowind, really). But the basics leave a lot to be desired. The dice-based combat was already talked about so I will ignore it. But you can't even role play properly in Morrowind. I think most of the skills in Morrowind are pretty pointless. Combat skills just seem to provide more "bang for their buck". A character with a sword skill of 50 can easily sweep away most enemies; on the other hand, a character with a sneak skill of 50 will still get detected by a damn rat. And you still have to melee fight to get through the game anyway. Also, the speech skills are pretty pointless as well.

That's not what I mean. The game has no inherent reason to use first person for any particular reason. It has nothing that it gains advantage of from having it. The multiple attack directions system doesn't change that. Of course it's a gimmick.

Name me a well balanced RPG where there isn't a particular system that can't be abused to hell to let you do whatever you want. Out of any games that Holla Forums recommends, none are perfectly balanced.
I know better than anyone else that the diceroll system isn't perfect but so far only ascii rogues have really implemented DND systems well. But I don't get the chance to play dnd and I'm sure as hell not interested in playing it either since I'm not into board games.

I guess I'm just salty because it's always the same thing repeated about Morrowind. No mention of awkward animations, the continuing trend of bugs since the first TES etc. Most people like myself that enjoy Morrowind have autism enough that this stuff isn't as apparent.

There's nothing wrong with it, it works how it's meant to work. If you don't like how it works, don't play it and fuck off. Morrowind doesn't need you, never has.

It's not Morrowind's fault you're too much of a brainlet to into abstraction and know that when you don't hit it's because of parry/evade/dodge/whatever. Morrowind doesn't show everything and becomes greater than the sum of its parts while your favorite game shows the bottom of its shallow pool that you should seriously consider drowning yourself in.

???
I made most of my money in the early game by selling glass daggers to that guy.
I loved that quest too, by the way. Just did it for the first time.

Morrowind is not an action RPG. Not all real-time RPGs are action RPGs. That said, I do agree that having dice-roll misses is obtuse for a first-person game. But, as has been said numerous times already, misses are rare if you know what you're doing.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. It does multiple dice rolls all the time. Imagine that I cast a firebolt spell at someone and that it reflects back at me.
There's a dice roll to see if I cast, another to see how much damage it does, and another to see whether or not it reflects. This all happens in less than a second.
First-person games do not have to be action games. Have you even played Ultima Underworld?

Creeper only has 5000 gold and no mercantile skill. The vendors in the grand bazaar have 10000 and are remarkably willing to pay a fair price if you slather yourself in bug musk and stack personality buffs.

Speechcraft and personality allow you to skip 90% of the bullshit in quests. Even simple quality of life stuff, like "can I ask a question to someone without having to pay a 100-600gp tax" is a gift of speechcraft. Mercantile means you can actually get full value from the shit you sell.
It's pretty damn useful and as a socially retarded Argonian I found that bug musk and two Personality buffs got me a lot farther than my demon spear.

His lack of mercantile skill means that he's one of only two (I think) merchants who pays the full value for an item. I've sold items to him worth over 100,000 gold by buying cheaper items I'd sold him previously. It's tedious, but it works.
I haven't used bug musk and I'm not much of a magic user, so I guess that never really occurred to me. Fair enough.

The other merchant is the mudcrab one but the creeper is far easier to get to.

For me, I usually pile up money even with low mercantile since there's a lot of valuables you can snatch up.

Yeah, I have about 700,000 gold, and I stopped scrounging a while ago. I regularly throw items away now that are under 100,000 in value. I'm sure I'd be a multimillionaire if I were trying.

I personally don't mind losing out on ~10-20% of potential gold if it means I get to save more time hawking off bulk goods. It is kinda crazy just how much of a difference 60 Personality makes with vendors. There's a general "Trader" in the bazaar who normally will only pay about ten percent of an item's value- boost his disposition to 80 or so and he'll pay damn near full price. Saves a ton of time and he'll probably commission some kobold porn with the cash.

I'm talking about melee combat roll complexity not being on par with magic system. There is only one roll, the hit or miss one. And the hit ratio on low skill and agility is unreasonably low, while after reaching around 40 in both skill and agility it just doesn't matter anymore. This effectively prevents you from picking up another type of weapon and learning the basics without spending money you don't yet have on trainers. The scale of effectiveness is all broken too. Just compare it to isometric Fallouts, where even without tagging melee you had around 40% chance to kick or stab a rat, though admittedly many of the hits will be soft failures which end up doing only 1-2 points of damage. That's still more than you get in Morrowank fresh off the boat, against mudcrabs that have no agility to speak of.

And this isn't the only problem. Magicka is limited while energy bars on enchanted items somehow recharge on their own for no reason. That alone is enough to make the schools of magic obsolete, but it doesn't end here. Spells cast from enchanted blings always succeed and work independently of your skill rating in given school. That's one roll to skip and you get extra benefits, like investing in only one skill instead of 6 different schools. It's piss poor design on conceptual level.

Movement speed has some stupidly broken scaling as well. Below 30-35 speed/athletics, your running speed is slower than any humanoid NPC's walking speed. If you don't major/minor the skill, you're going to be outrun by mudcrabs or never see your stamina bar filling back. But once you get to around 60/60, your pounces reach olympic levels and the speed is finally reasonable. So halfway through skill progression you're already entering the superhuman levels, and then you can break it even more with potions. Yet again, it's exponential growth which starts off way too low and ends up being excessive long before achieving the skill mastery.

I actually started addressing your points but instead you get this. The game has problems, like all games, what would you have the rest of us do? Never talk about it again? Do you have recommendations for something else?

You know this meme all too well. It's so shit not even mods can fix it.

So that's "stop talking about a game I don't enjoy because it triggers me"?

Are you okay?

That's true.
There's a roll to hit, a damage roll (that depends on whether you're chopping, slashing, or thrusting), and enchanted weapons usually add a third roll to determine the strength of their effect.
If you have Agility of at least 50 and a weapon skill of at least 50, you rarely miss. If you're using a weapon with lower skill and agility then that, then why are you using that weapon?
I get what you're saying, but I don't think there's anything wrong with making low-skill rolls fail more often than they succeed. A pure mage shouldn't be effective with a mace, and a pure fighter shouldn't be effective with spells.
Yes. You have to specialize in Morrowind. This is a good thing. Just like how most players won't be able to attain a high rank in all factions. It encourages actual role-playing.
If you were actually missing mudcrabs most of the time when you first started, then you built your character wrong. Why would you expect to be decent at melee if you didn't put points into a weapon skill, strength, and agility? (Also, remember to keep your fatigue up and hold down your attack.)
True, that does encourage enchanting over casting. I'm not a magic user most of the time, so I don't have a good perspective on how much this negatively impacts the game, but I'm sure it doesn't help, if you're playing a mage.
True. I didn't take Athletics as a major or minor skill, but it does certainly take a while to get to a decent speed. But once again, if you care that much, you can have decent speed at the start, if you want to, by making your character that way. Taking it as a major/minor skill, taking Speed as a favored attribute, or taking the Steed birthsign.
It sounds like most of your criticisms boil down to Morrowind having minimum values that are too low, and basically reflect subhuman abilities. I think it's true that those values are very low, but I also think that they aren't designed to be used at those low levels. The fact that characters will suck at things that they haven't invested in seems to work as an encouragement to specialize. Maybe I'm just taking a rosy view, I don't know. I just know that it didn't decrease my enjoyment of the game.
Out of curiosity, what do you think of Oblivion? It fixed a lot of your stated problems with Morrowind.

Don't even try arguing intellectually honestly with him, he's clearly the kind of person that gets off on imposing his opinions on others, a terrible way to get your kraft. Hence why I went straight to the psychic violence. Also look at the ids the little autist is burning a hole in the carpet going back and forth from his router.

I try to assume good faith.

My dubs say yes.

Factions and different give this game some replayability value but the slog of early game can really drain all the hype for finally going to the cities and joining different factions. It just drags on for too long and requires you to abuse wikia tier knowledge from previous playthrough to plan out an efficient route. It's this kind of scummery like memorizing what are the best weapons and enchanted items that you can easily get, which in turn tells you what's the most optimal stuff to major/minor.

It fixed enchanting and most of the early game slog, that is true. But somehow it makes it even more difficult to reach more than 3 points in any attribute on leveling up. The skill curves are much softer but then the level scaling makes it all feel like the exact opposite of progression from a mud snail to demigod Nerevarine. Since it's the same system but with some shitty rebalancing, it would have definitely been possible to fix in the next game given enough thought and playtesting, which is further supported with various mods (most of which can easily break Oblivion at any time). But instead we got Skyrim.

There's more autists in this world than you might think.

*different builds

I felt pretty effectively funneled to Balmora on my first playthrough. They practically beg you to join the Thieves Guild and Fighters Guild, since talking to their members is part of the early main quest.
Only really necessary for getting top-tier gear, in my experience. Even then, some top-tier gear is handed to you on a silver platter, like the Lord's Mail (Legion quest) and the Fists of Randagulf (main quest). But yeah, maybe some of this stuff should be a bit more signposted. The Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw is easy to get, but it's very out-of-the-way. I stumbled across the quest that rewards it almost by accident. And it's absurd to expect anyone to get Goldbrand without a wiki.
So I'd say you're right, as far as it applies to out-of-the-way gear.
Shit. I plan on playing Oblivion soon. And I don't do the autistic min-max thing where you don't use your major skills most of the time. I hope it's not too much of a slog.
I know this feel. All they really had to do was give you a fixed amount of attribute points every time you level up, and it would have fixed half of their progression system's problems. Skyrim even managed to fix the level scaling problem by imposing minimum and maximum levels on enemy types.
Instead they axed attributes and major skills altogether, so you start out terrible at everything, instead of specializing from the start. And they removed the level cap later–a move that has no purpose except to make the game more casual and make your choices even more consequence-free. I still think that the right combination of mods could fix Skyrim.

Why not just cast a drain luck spell on him or enchant your weapon then? It's silly for clowns to pretend that the game doesn't give you very simple solutions to that problem. And they should know by that point in the game.

If you're only going to play Oblivion, I'm going to warn you about how unstable that game is. I played it practically vanilla, with only the necessary bugfixes, Oblivion character overhaul to make everyone look like anime instead of potatoes, and a tiny plugin that just made the oysters respawn. I decided to do all the side and faction content first, I didn't even bother going to Kvatch. The game broke once I started doing the Thieves Guild, so my advice is to keep multiple saves around. If you visit any fence and sell him enough shit to progress your contribution thresholds by more than one stage and then change cell, the game is going to crash and create a corrupt autosave. About 2 quests before the end of TG line it broke for good, for no apparent reason. So I dropped the game, then just read up on the main quest.

Also the character overhaul somehow manages to break the scripts on two merchants selling DLC house furnishings (one in Imperial city, one in Skingrad), so that their stores will remain closed forever and breaking in counts as trespassing; they don't resume their merchant function. Out of other rather shitty things that deserve a mention, you should know that joining the Mages Guild is the absolute prerequisite for doing any enchanting, though you can use found/bought enchanted items normally.

Wow, that is ridiculous. I played through the entire game and managed to avoid that one. If anyone plays Oblivion they should do the Dark Brotherhood quests though. They're pretty good in that game as well and the Orcish assassin is one of my favorite characters. He just walks around with a huge sword and full armor and completes his jobs by charging into the targets home and murdering them.

And spell-making. However, the wizard tower dlc alleviates both if you're willing to invest the money for it.

And I mean ingame money for the tower, not real money for the dlc.

Is it worth starting a new character for? Or should I try to shoehorn a late game battlemage into it?

Spend a few shekels on stealth trainers and you're good to go, especially with good chameleon spells. One of the DB members actually sells a whole set of spells designed for assassins. And remember that the way Oblivion calculates sneaking is based on the weight of your boots, so you can go barefoot as equivalent of Skyrim's muffle spell.

I'll exploit your asshole, you fruit basket.

Did TES have attractive goblins or not, I forget

TGM is still an exploit.

>>>/reddit/

I expected him to be way stronger than he actually was, so I destroyed him with maxed out luck (built my character with the intent of getting max luck as soon as possible), agility and strength. Didn't even have to use my magic. That's my first experience with Gaenor. Actually, I leveled every stat to 100, because I am fucking autistic, apparently.

Had to fucking do it at least once, because Morrowind actually allows you to become really powerful, and I really enjoy grinding. That character is practically invincible. Maxed out stats and all of the best items in the game, including the Royal Signet Ring.

Level up agility (physical only) and luck (both melee and magic) you fucking fag. Every single thread. What the fuck do you casuals think that those stats are for?

Good thing I didn't use it, then.

don't worry, no charge for them

Skyrim was fucking great. So was oblivion. Not so much morrowind loved it as a child realised it sucked when i was 8

Is that still where morrowind online is at right now? It was interesting but yeah, it definitely needs stuff like that fixed to give it some purpose. Considering how OP shit can get I wonder if they're going to do too much balancing or whatever.

Morrowind was the TES jump to 3D so 2D holdovers that worked before don't quite translate well. I'm perfectly fine with the dice rolling in the first two TES games but I can't stand that shit with Morrowind because it passes right through them.

You have to adjust your brain so it doesn't put you off. All the Bethesda games have unbearable combat but Morrowind and before had enough depth where you could get your fund out of it. That's why I like build potential in it.

Or you could put some points in agility and a weapon skill, not run everywhere, and hold down your attack.
The "miss" meme is the best method I've ever seen for identifying casuals.

Not talking about the missing. I personally think the animations is what makes things unsatisfactory. Animation mods help but you gotta avoid spell ones if you use Rebirth.

I dont remember if I ever fought Gaenor when I did a playthrough years ago, is he supposed to be the ebony warrior of morrowind?

Kind of. He's more of a joke character. His luck stat is 770, which makes him very, very hard to hit.

Serverfag here. I wasn't the last host, but I'll set up a dedicated server in a few months after I move, if custom items are working. If they're not, I'll look into modding all custom stuff out - I know that's not much fun, but it'll stop shit from breaking.

I talked with one of the devs when the first release hit, I can set up a script to reset cells every now and then. I'd like to set up some sort of housing, but I'm not sure it's possible right now. Same with a guild system. Quests also need to be heavily tweaked.

It'll take a lot of work, but enough tweaking could turn Morrowind into an absolutely amazing MMORPG, one that's actually an RPG first and foremost.

Housing would be a great idea, people would actually be able to store all of their shit without people nigging it nonstop. Cell resets as well, it's not entirely fair if someone just runs around and gets all the best gear and everybody else is stuck with shitty weapons and armor. Also the most fun part of the server was dungeon-diving with other anons rather than just fucking around in the middle of Balmora, which it seems like that's what the server devolved into. Can't really blame it though, in MP's current state there isn't really all that much to do.

Yeah, that's the goal. It's just going to be complex, and I'm not sure if it's even possible right now. Really, what I'd like to see most of all is a script set up where the door is locked with a high level lock spell, but the owner can enter anyway. Interiors for ownable houses should be their own cell, exempt from resets. The house has one lockbox with limited storage, so you can only store so much gear safely. That means that thieves can still break into houses and steal shit, but you're not going to lose all of your good stuff. Maybe some sort of script to allow for a bounty to be placed if the thief is seen.

Oh, and another bit I forgot - party mechanisms and spells. A rez spell might be good, and Mass Recall or party-wide buffs would be excellent. Having a formal party mechanic that disables or nerfs friendly fire would also be good.

Lesser Houses as a guild mechanic would be nice. Complete a guild shared quest and then be able to buy a guild house with secure storage.

Just those mechanics set the game up for an MMO experience that doesn't even exist outside of Korean Claymations.

So they're really trying to make it a proper MMO? I thought it was just for random fuckabouts.

Well once custom spells/enchants work players can make their own buffs/heals within an AoE. You might need to do some tweaking to spellmaking to allow mass mark/recall/intervention. Disabling friendly fire would be helpful though

No I think the MP mod is just going to be the base game but with multiplayer, what this user is talking about are his own mods for the server he'd like to run if I'm not mistaken. After all the MP mod is aiming to be compatibly with all the mods that OpenMW is, I remember on the server we used TR and SSE but I'm not sure if they worked since I never went to those areas.

Having a key system for doors would be good. Each player is assigned a key for their room, and there's a "lock door" button on the in and outside which sets the lock to 100.

They're adding multiplayer support and getting it stable, while giving us the tools to do fun things.

I want to make it into a proper MMO experience. I genuinely can't think of a better platform to do it with - like I said, it's a pure RPG first and foremost, and going from RPG to MMO instead of your standard game that's an MMO with RPG bits tacked on will be quite an adventure.

Custom spells will need some serious tweaking to prevent loops and exploits. A more fundamental issue is that there's no server side verification of anything, so you can cheatengine your way to CHIM.

Even better - lock strength depends on the house. A mansion might have 100, but a shitty shack in Seyda Neen might only have 50.

I always did want ESO to be a game with a hundred or so skills and a full stat system, so each player had a unique experience and character.
Alas, what we got was something rather sub-par, so we'll break open a game a decade and a half old, scoop out the innards and replace them to get a decent MMO.
Do we have unique journals yet?
Can players join different great houses and war upon one another?

I'm pretty sure that all quests are still shared. The thing is, when the Holla Forums server was up it didn't seem like the faction relations themselves were shared. I remember I killed someone in the mages guild in Balmora and was constantly getting attacked, but other players could walk around and be fine; once I left the guild hall they could talk/trade with the npc's in there just fine.

Any Morrowind mods that add new heads to selection?

Any recomendations for magic mods?

Sounds like a grand time.

I'm pretty sure journals are shared. You can PvP anywhere if the server has it enabled, and you can join houses, but it doesn't really do anything in-game.

what am I even saying.

Yes they are, I'm pretty sure you can toggle it*. I'm not positive, though.

Not Morrowind but I saw some people discussing Oblivion. What are some mods you faggots recommend for fixing the shitty level scaling in Oblivion, there are a few that I came across but some seemed better than others.

There were times when people were autistic enough to set up FCOM.

I recommend uninstall.exe. Really works wonders when you want to remove all of Oblivion's problems. Alternatively you can do this neat trick with the install folder, where you right click and then press "delete" in the little pop up menu that comes up. It's kind of hidden and there's no intuitive way to figure it out, so you can consider this the "casual filter" for TES4.
After you do that I recommend grabbing this.
gog.com/game/the_elder_scrolls_iii_morrowind_goty_edition
Just run that and allow it to overwrite whatever space Oblivion took up on your disk before. Don't worry about losing anything important during the process. If you do this right it is all your problems solved, guaranteed.

Fucking plebian.

what was microsoft even thinking, why is it still around

I'm about to fight Gedna Relvel. Wish me luck, lads.

Well, uh…she died in six hits from Trueflame.
This game really is easy.

Tell me about it. Wish there was a mod out there that made it harder.

Tell me it gets better.

It gets better. If you really can't stand the movement speed, restart and take The Steed as your birthsign.

You've gotta be doing something wrong if you're still level 1. What specifically have you been doing?

The mage guild quests and walking back and forth between locations.

Depends on what kind of build he's going for. I leveled very slowly in the beginning.

Post your build.

No wonder you're leveling so slowly. Have you been using any trainers?

I haven't, since I didn't want to waste money. Considering restarting as a fighter type character but I'm assuming there's more depth to the magic system in this game.

Hybrid class for your first playthrough is definitely throwing yourself into the deep end. But I think you'll be OK; you were smart enough to get a Devil Spear.
That said, Athletics is usually not something you should take as a major or minor skill. Now you have to worry about how much you're running. If you run everywhere, you'll level quickly, but you'll only be getting multipliers for speed. Part of that is probably down to personal preference, though.
Also, what's your birthsign?

Just to make myself more clear: What I mean is that, when you level up, you'll be able to increase your speed by a lot, but your other attributes will not be able to improve as much. At least, that's the problem I ran into when I had Athletics as a minor skill.

Birthsign is Lady. Is there a way to change the major and minor skills once you've started? I don't really feel any desire to restart.

Not really. It's entirely "ready spell, click to cast". There's some useful effects, like levitation, water breathing, and the mark/recall spells, but actually using magic isn't that complex. The problem with having a lot of magic skills when it comes to leveling is that you only gain experience on each successful spell cast, so you'll need to be casting lots of spells to be leveling up.

Getting training is definitely not a waste of money, especially when your skills are low, meaning the prices are cheap. Considering all your magic skills, training is definitely a worthwhile investment right now.

No. Sorry.

There's a console command but it fucks up your game in the long run.

All right. Will go with trainers then.

Started Bloodmoon today. So far I'm liking it much more than Tribunal.
My hand-to-hand skill was garbages, so I had to punch that tree-hugging Nord outside the mine for like ten minutes straight.

Go get the boots of blinding speed from that basketball american smuggler. Create a spell of resist magic for 1 second and keep putting the boots on/off until it gets through without the blindness. Just make sure to never take them off.

This game looks like fun but the combat is 1-button wacking

It's not an action RPG.

A cat is fine too.

That quest has a surprisingly happy ending.

FUCKING STUPID FAGGOTS SPEWING BULLSHIT WHEN THEY DONT KNOW SHIT. do you even play TES3MP? there is a very very active community around it. THERE ARE ALREADY HOUSING MODS, both closed source or open. just fucking play on a server and look for yourself. some fucking faggot called malseph is implementing guilds and clans but wont publish his shit

they work around LUA files. they're server wide java script that require no download or install. quite a wonder and very customizable. some servers have even mount mods like riding a cliff racer but you stupid faggots dont know shit

Nigger calm down the only time I played it was that one Holla Forums server

>mega.nz/#!tgtnAYqB
Remastered Daggerfall music fits surprisingly well with Morrowind.

Are you talking about Oblivion? Because that's false. Enemies don't detect you from the other side of a dungeon. And because of how the dungeons are set up (series of rooms connected by narrow tunnels) you rarely ever get noticed by anybody outside the room you're in.

imperial-library.info/

Where the fuck do you even start with this shit? I guess I'll go with Geography & History. Many thanks either way. Lore can be a bitch to decipher sometimes.

Slowpoke here. I loved watching this interview. Julian, the man really lives up to the legend. I wish I was half that cool.

The part where he talks about Todd is especially amusing.

I've seen this meme in a couple places. He's important to its early history, but attributing the whole series to him alone is reductive. Julian Lefay programmed Arena, and stuck around as a general programmer until about Redguard. Vijay Lakshman was the one who led Arena's development and was responsible for most of its design, though as far as I know he wasn't involved in any of the sequels. And the setting was mostly the creation of Ted Petersen, who was involved in every game up to and including Oblivion; if I recall, Tamriel was basically his custom D&D world.

Also, that leaves out a ton of important people who came on for Daggerfall, which was really where TES found its feet. People like Kurt Kuhlmann and Brian Chapin.

I come reborn into the world a new NEET, not a thing to my name or object to call my goal and find myself hearing the call of Vvardenfell at night
should I play as a rogue or a mystic warrior this time?

Mystic warrior. Morrowind's stealth and archery suck ass too much for rogues to be fun.

Arena didn't have any lore in it that set it apart from being 100% generic stock D&D RPG. Tamriel was literally actually unironically their D&D map and they went "lets make a CRPG of this". TES didn't actually become TES until Daggerfall.

(checked)

Read the thread.

Just because you had good reason doesn't mean we can't still laugh at you for it.

I feel like playing Morrowind again with no mods except patches and watercolor textures.
What kind of character is the most fun to play vanilla? Is a pure mage still okay even without all of the fancy spell mods?

So long as you're not relying on canned spells.

Literally retarded. The first three TES games were first person solo rpgs, like goldbox games without the party, never were they described or marketed as action games. You are a child that played oblivion/skyrim first and pissed your pants when presented with something that forced you to do more than left click to win.

What would you call a canned spell?

Yes, my most recent play was full vanilla, no glitches (unless you count the scamp merchant, but that's intended). If you consider training as a intended necessity of the game (what aspiring warrior wouldn't solicit help from his superiors?), it works just fine. The character was a battlemage-type, and the spells work juuuust fine.

I believe he means the spells that you can buy 'as-is' from npcs. Making custom spells is the way to go after a certain point.

I played a custom warrior and didn't use any training until I got to Bloodmoon. Even then, that was only so I could climb the ranks of the East Empire Company, not because I really needed it.

Except it's not. Because there is not much control over character in diablo you gigantic faggot, so hit miss is all that can be done in roguelikes. What did you think it is?
There is many good features in MW but blatantly eating Todd's cum like this…
And gitgut maymas in game that makes you pretty much invincible after like 5 minutes of leveling. Morrowind gameplay is broken all around. Take any trash Koei slasher and it's like billion times better right away.
Well it's fascinating, but they serve no purpose (even devs knew that and made a best attack option), unlike normal/power attacks in Oblivion/Skyrim.
If you want example of different attacks relative to movement direction and other factors, where character skill is very important done right - see Mountain Braidu.

As to magic in MW it's complete shit. You can't fix it even with mods. Basically There is 3 spells - fireball, melee fireball and shit you cast on self. But that is another story.

What's the decryption key? I'd really like to hear it, Daggerfall has great music

Imperial Library's a great source for lorebooks and explanations of the lore itself just be wary that there are "non-canon" (that is, not in any of the games) books/writings which are basically the ramblings of Kirkbride's whiskey and ayahuasca binges. I like some of his out-of-game stuff but take it all with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I suppose 'necessity' was the wrong word. It is handy though, and I thought it added importance to exploran' and lootan'. Treasure hunting on that char might as well have been hunting for levels.

!EZxiW8_H7A3RAjFg0iQM__vOozruNyOrxJyNEOex6KM

mega.nz/#!tgtnAYqB!EZxiW8_H7A3RAjFg0iQM__vOozruNyOrxJyNEOex6KM

Fuck i'm a retard. I thought link without key meant that there would be no keys needed.

Thanks, it sounds great. I didn't know there even was remastered Daggerfall music.

It's from Dan Goodale, it's not an official remaster.

OpenMW 0.43 came out a couple days ago, embed related: openmw.org/2017/openmw-0-43-0-released/

See

Progress has gotten pretty fast as of late, compared to a little while ago at least

I just block embed thumbnails so I didn't notice.

No big deal. We're all friends here.

I know this isn't exactly the best place for it but I'm going to ask anyway because Bethesda. How well optimized is Fallout3 and NV compared to Oblivion/Morrowind? I run a toaster and I want to mod the fuck out of F3 even though it's shit and NV because it's only held back by a few mods that fix most of its issues.

coda makes it canon

they're all running on gamebryo, 3/nv will be very close to oblivion.

Alright then. I just got Oblivion looking extremely beautiful. Shivering Isles especially. Thank god the modding community for that game is well aware that most of the people running it are on toasters. Some guy even put out a distant land Mesh LOD mod that was a clean up on a less optimized one and it actually gives me a solid 20-30 frames on an i3.

Ryzen with 32 cores will be coming out in less than a year and you're still on an i3?

What's the problem? I'm also still on i3.
Witcher 3 runs at 60fps on max/1080.

I was thinking about upgrade but can't find any reason to.

It's not much of a dialogue-simulator either. :^)

I run a toaster because I'm low on cash. This really a hard concept to assume?

I have the goty edition from GoG, should I install any patches? Any recomendation? Preferably performance and bugfixes

I swear things are just repeating ad nausem at this point, I'm getting too old for this shit.

Code Patch, Illy's Solstheim Rumor Fix, and Delay Dark Brotherhood Attack. Nothing else is necessary.

Play any graphically intensive game made this year and it'll need 8 cores at the very least to run flawlessly. You're stuck in 2015.

I use an i5 AMDtard.

I don't care what you use.

Kill yourself kike.

thanks mane

Sorry that no one else answered your question user.
Oblivion can be very fun when you have the right mods to fix the stupid design decisions.
This mod will upgrade a quest reward when you activate it according to your current level.
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5701/?

I've tried to get into Morrowind a bunch of times and I think I finally did it when I went full madman and chose Altmer Apprentice Pure Mage. I was having a lot of fun catapulting myself around with super jumps, spamming my entire inventor of enchanted items, and shitting out giant clouds of "fuck you" all over everyone.
But now I've gotten into the main quest and the last few dungeons have been FUCKING NIGHTMARES because I have approximately 0 hp and EVERYTHING HAS REFLECT!
Actually, I've got enough defense and healing to power through the enemies, but I keep insta-gibbing myself with all my overpowered spells and enchanted items.
What the fuck do I do? Resistance is a crapshoot when I start at -100%, reflect doesn't protect from reflect, and absorption is just a frustrating diceroll.

So far I've been getting around it by fortifying myself into the stratosphere and summoning hordes of monsters, but the pathfinding is fucking abysmal, it takes forever to kill things, and it just isn't as fun as spamming out 30 Damage Health 50pts on target in 20ft in half a second and watching the whole room disintegrate.

Do I just have to summon a bunch of armor, buff myself and go in with a sword?
Or has this whole strategy just bitten me in the ass and made it impossible to be a pure mage?
If I'd have picked Breton and Atronach none of this would be an issue.

You should have fought her without using the thing that weakens her.

Trueflame doesn't weaken her, it just deals fire damage.

Summon bound weapons. Or get demon weapons. Either way, they're daedric quality. Combined with your fortify skill spells, that should be enough to make you viable against magic-reflecting enemies.

So the peak end result of rolling a 100% pure mage is covering myself in armor and whacking people with a sword. Feels kinda hollow. I might as well have gone heavy armor and long blades for all the difference it'd make. Hell, I barely even cast spells anymore after loading up on enchanted rings!

Still, it is fun seeing my status effects bar growing longer and longer. Shits insane, half a dozen effects even without spells.

You could always give yourself 100% reflect and let enemies commit suicide by attacking you.

Oblivion is way easier than Morrowind.

Level scaling was a direct consequence of people complaining about Morrowind being too easy.

Guess they failed on that as with everything else in that game.

Yes. Yes they did.

That one is actually the work in progress video. He posted the actual, finished video.

It's the exact same link.

Is OpenMW at a playable stage for a full playtrough? Been wanting to replay Morrowind but not sure if I can handle the vanilla experience.

Been playing the game for a while after not playing it in years due to the death of one of my HDDs, but lately I've been losing interest in exploring new areas, both in the open world and dungeons. Not sure if it's due to how the world looks even after using the morrowind overhaul mod to improve visuals (I recall how it looked vanilla and how bland a lot of the map was barring a few spots), the loot I'm finding even in daedric and dwemer shrines either being low level shit or things that are not compatible with my build, the mechanics of the game (while interesting) getting to me, trying to play the game as legit as possible, or just my build in general not being as fun as I'd hoped, but I find myself wanting to just finish the questlines I'm doing so I can either go to a different more fun build or a different game in general.

Going with a mostly fighting character (only using the standard healing spell, whatever my armor is enchanted with, and mark/recall) myself, specializing in long blade and block, and I have to say that playing as a mage in this game seems a hell of a lot more fun than what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, I like how I went from barely holding my own to killing multiple enemies without losing much health, but it gets real tedious just statically swinging your weapon while hoping you block with your shield to increase it's fucking level. Mage fights get even worse for me since they never get a chance to fail casting their spells and can destroy you real quick if not careful or you don't stun/knock them down.

My point being is that is some sound advice and would make things more interesting than being forced to do melee with a pure mage character. Probably will go that route myself in my next playthough (should I go for another morrowind playthough).

They did. But if you've played the game the difficulty is fucking insane once you get to higher levels because enemies take about 5 minutes to kill if you're not exploiting features to do more damage.

Also does there exist a linear account of Elder Scrolls lore that makes sense? I asked earlier for a site that gives good information on it but it's pretty bare bones and doesn't offer the details I want.

You fags even read your own posts?

Absolutely. The current missing features are just shadows (No loss. Base game shadows are so badly done they make no sense and it's better to turn them off so nobody misses them) and some AI stuff (Improved pathfinding, able to hit moving targets and avoid hitting friends with AoE, doors.). The real source of work is some bugs and OpenMWCS.

Oh and some issues that break mods

Thanks, seems great. I'm not really interested in modding it on this playthrough, at least if I'm playing a version which already fixes old vanilla bugs and adds quality of life changes.

AI is miles ahead of than in vanilla you double redguard.
Following are fixed and followers are not agressive, NPCs are aware of oxygen, guards have limited vision and many more.

OpenMW is not a mod, its a different engine to run the game. It does not change anything in a meaningful way.

Yeah, right after colonization of Proxima Ceuntaura.

thoughts on weapon choice for a heavily armoured mage? I tried hand to hand but it's total shit so I'm probably going to reroll with axe

Somebody help me. Started up my game and my character's head is huge. Playing vanilla no mods installed

WHAT do I do

Install gentoo

Isn't huge heads a fetish? I can swear I remember some LOL thread tier shit about this.

Dwemer mace and dagger.

Everything is. Even you.

L O L

restoration is for gays
if you don't mix your own healing potions you're a bitch

It helps to keep a spell or 2 just in case though.

Why? Are you sadomasochistic?

He clearly has mods installed, going by his screenshot. I can only assume that he is pretending to be retarded.

You have to get ~1/3rd through the main quest line before your head goes back to normal. It'll make sense when you get there.

Go the the main menu, select cheats, then turn off DK mode.

Why not make luck determine the hit or miss of enemy attacks instead? Or make luck determine how good a strike your hit was instead of making you just miss completely. What if instead of missing you just end up doing 1-2 damage? That would make things a lot more enjoyable.

I wish Morrowind had usable poisons, that would make alchemy and rogues far more enjoyable

How about you git gud, it's not that hard.
Assuming Luck and agility are equal for both parties, fatigue is half full on both and there are no buffs on either character, skill = chance to hit.
40 sword skill = 40% chance to hit

I had how there's no quest markers or anything to point you where you're supposed to go. Is there a mod to fix that? I've got no patience for it, modern gaming has ruined me.

*Git gud*
Just follow the instructions retard. One advantage of every NPC being a wikipedia is that you can literally ask any NPC for quest directions.

Yeah, download the mod that lets you rid the world of your ADHD riddled millennial blood.

Is there any way to get a second critical hit on a Humanoid? I enchanted my sword with 100 chameleon for 2 seconds, then followed up with a calm spell to get multiple crits on monsters. But the same method doesn't seem to work on Humanoids.

I've got Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul with FCOM running and it's pretty alright.

Welcome to windows.

Good quest mods?

The ending of the words is "Sotha Sil Rebuilt".

What if restoration had a damaging spell?

OpenMW

Try searching for "rope" on Amazon, or failing that maybe one of your underage reddit friends can help you.

That shit is nowhere NEAR being done.

Why would 0.43 be far from being done?

Incidentally, you're right, but not in the way you think you are.

It's not a percentage numbnuts. Every time significant changes are made the minor gets bumped. Major will be bumped to 1 when they think it's reached the point of being the full Morrowind. In its current state it's actually very close.

Lord only knows why Absorb spells moved to that tree in Oblivion.

That's something I'm actually hopeful for with OpenMW, although it'd be hideously unbalanced because alchemy is.

Deconstruction being the other side of the coin to repairing
Which is different from the unfocused destruction of shit like blasting someone with raw energy
Too much medicine can be a poison with no fundamental change in the substance, etc.

Is there anything you can do in Oblivion that would technically invalidate what happens in Skyrim?

I'm playing through morrowind for the first real time (meaning not just dicking around). Should I just go dark elf or breton or like I usually do?

What do you mean?

Dunmer are a pretty good all-around race. So are Imperials. Not sure about Bretons.

Is there a result that you can have, through some quest or whatever, that is completely different from how things canonically turn out in Skyrim

No, I don't think so. Skyrim's only obvious references to Oblivion are in the existence of the Vigilants of Stendarr, and the museum in Dawnstar. If you take a big-picture view, the Empire's decline is related to Oblivion, but even in Morrowind people were talking about how the Empire's decline was inevitable and imminent.

According to UESP Sinderion isn't essential. His corpse appears in Skyrim and he did some stuff after Oblivion.

This is what I was looking for, thank you user.

Mostly I was just trying to find any points of divergence the player is capable of in Oblivion.

I see. There's also Neloth, who appears in both Morrowind and Skyrim. You can kill him in Morrowind, making his appearance in Skyrim kind of silly.

Bretons are great but not as OP as in Oblivion because their magic resistance only applies to some types of spells. The one true birthsign is Atronach however, because it's easy to deal with the negative.

I have Darknut's weapon retexture mod and I get error warnings when I enter a room with specifically imperial weapons. I can see them in the world and take them, but equipping them freezes the game. I don't think that NPC's with imperial weapons break the game. How can I fix this error? I tried reactivating the mod and verifying my local morrowind files.

Also, should I just continue to dick around, loot stuff and get a sense of the world and of the mechanics rather than try to do faction quests as a newcomer?

Can't help you with the mod question, sorry.
There's no harm in doing some faction quests. Unlike Skyrim, guilds have chapters in every major town, so it's not like you're going to spoil a big story element by doing some faction quests in one or two towns.

Anything else?

Atronach's magicka regen is so easy to deal with that you don't even have to bother making Fortify INT, or recovery potions. All it takes is one spell to grow your Current Magicka infinitely.