Civ Thread

The only Civ game I've ever properly played is Alpha Centauri, which I loved. I want to get into the mainline series and the current steam sale seems like a great opportunity.

If I was to buy one of these three, which would Holla Forums recommend? and more importantly, why?

Other urls found in this thread:

rule34.paheal.net/post/list/Alpha_Centauri/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

4 or 5

6 is mobile game quality and lacks content.

old civs are better, civ v is kinda trash tbh

What's the key differentiator between 4 and 5?

That's the one you should get. Also Civ 2 and 3. Civ 5 is decent when you have all the DLC.

5 plays smoother, more streamlined. Looks prettier, lacks the mods 4 has. 1 unit per tile. I'd say 4 but only modded, Warlock 2 and the original Colonization. Call to Power is also great but it aged like shit.

Looks like I'll have all the DLC with the complete pack. Civ 5 looks most promising so far.

It's casual as fuck, but I like the idea of streamlined and prettier.

What about the Civ alternatives like Endless Fantasy? Any of them worth a crack?

I know endless legends and it's alright. Pandora is also fine if you like SMAC.

So is every civ game until you add autism with mods. Fairly casual even then.

Yeah, that's the one I meant.

Is there much casualisation (in the bad sense) between Endless Space 1 and 2?

Try and see? You really, really can't replace first hand experience.

I genuinely don't have that much free time/disposable income to try 2 very large games.

they are almost different games by now

That there be a personal problem m80.

What are the main differences? Do they suit better "stories" or narratives of gameplay style?

Maybe. I like to autistically research games before buying so that I don't put time into something I know I won't enjoy.

Haven't tried 4, but 5 uses hexes, so I'd go with 5 personally. 6 is, as said, mobile game quality.

IV's gameplay options and such are superior than 5. IV actually has sliders on culture and science rate, so if you have The Great Wall and everyone else is behind in tech and cannot research the technology that makes The Great Wall obsolete, you can just crank down the slider to 0 after you researched everything else.

They removed that from the later games. Honestly, since you are from Alpha Centauri, I would mess around with Civ II, since Brian Reynolds and most of the Firaxis team worked on Civ II first, before Alpha Centauri.

Hexes are indeed superior to squares, but Civ 5 is the inferior game in the end compared to 4. The AI is just too crippled by 1UPT, paying maintenance on roads is awful and at some points not worth the trade income, city states are too easy to abuse, and the game is just overall too easy and simple. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad but you're definitely not getting a complete experience. The expansions do make it better but they really just add things that were in previous civ games so you might as well go play Civ 4 instead.
On a minor note, I find the music in 4 much better. And I'm not even thinking of Baba Yetu. Then again it's been about 2 years since I played Civ 5 so I don't remember the music that well.

so what did you go with OP?
just bumping because I like the general civ thread and considering new expansion has been announced, how you guys it will go?

for OP however, considering you did play AC from that time, consider Civ4 since it was a good, been aged fine, was still primarily design by Sid
5 has hex titles, 1upt, but lacks so much depth that it becomes unbearably boring after a while
don't buy them, but if you must buy only 4, and from GoG is best, pirate 5 if you must,

The AI in the fourth game is far more challenging because of the unit stacking. You actually get a challenging game at the higher difficulties because of this. It shits itself in the Vth game when it has to handle so many units independently. Deity is a joke in V. The economic management and tile improvement systems are also far superior in the fourth one, far more depth.

Because it is the only one worth playing (besides 2).
Prepare to be let down, then. SMAC was the high water mark.

This.

It does speak volumes when the nigger and UN mud tend to survive longer than this soulless ginger.

Also, Civ IV has the better mods, but if you just want to start off easy play Civ V first if you aren't bothered with uglier graphics and interface.

do you remember which civ it was that allowed you to built resource famous outside of your borders?

the hex grid and 1upt where nice concepts at first, the problem is that they didn't delve into giving depth to the design

oh and I'd recommend everyone to check out this game too

Oops, forgot the pic.

new expansion, lads

Civ 5 may not look the best, but at least it's better than Civ 6. That one is an eyesore of the highest calibre.

Fucking hell I'm so demoralized at this point, this shit just doesn't stop. I am completely demoralized to the point where I can't even get angry at this stuff anymore, I used to rage seeing pakis and niggers walking down the street but I just can't get mad anymore. When will it get better?

Take an aloof, amused outlook instead. Embrace the absurdity, make satirical jokes and puns about it, and be a good person. People swallow redpills more easily with humor too

My first thought on reading that? A smile. Women are accurately represented in historical games because there almost were no female leaders. Makes you wonder why?

Civ 5 has:
Maria Theresa
Hagios Theodora
Hmlkt Elissa Dido
Boudīka
Wu Zetian
Elizabeth
Maria I
Catherine
Isabella
~21% female

This is already massive over representation compared to history yet they still feel the need to shoehorn in more.

That's how marxism/feminism works. Try to rewrite history and distort the facts for their agenda. It's something taught in the Talmud and the Koran.

The new system is dark ages. Are they looking for woman leaders who fucked their country up? What's the name of that one Chinese bitch who poisoned the emperor with mercury and ran the country into the ground?

Source dammit.

I'm still buttfrustrated that Civ 6 put Catherine de Medici as France's leader. She's not even fucking French.
I'd sooner see Joan of Arc come back. Hell, even Clothilde would be preferable.
I also dislike Napoleon as the French leader, since he was properly Corsican. Civ 4 did it right with de Gaulle and Louis XIV.

That's a smart outlook to have but you seem to be a happier person than I which I'm working towards fixing. That's a good approach but deep down it's upsetting.

T H I S
H
I
S

5 and 6 are dogshit casualized versions of the series, 6 twice as much. Get 4 or Alpha Centauri, 2 aged like rotting meat.

>>>/4chan/
Kill yourself

Theres a few universal truths you have to acknowledge. People suck. Period. They're unreliable, lying, self serving. Me, you, everyone else. But if you realize and understand it, you can accept it and go with the flow better.

Yes, it's disappointing to look at the world today with the things 8ch has let us learn, but the tide is slowly changing. It turns out that the average person, for all their not-thinking that they do, hates jewish tricks just as much as the next person.

There's also a right way and a wrong way to do things. For example, you know how things should be and what is right and wrong. But you also use your judgment to see what can slide. For example at work we have a best practices way to handle shit, but we're so understaffed, that we focus on the major issues. You keep your head down, work hard, and get along with people, and things just seem to my way.

That or I'm extremely lucky to misfortune.

anyone know how i can get civ 4 to run? wanted to try the star trek mod for it
pirated it and installed, ran beyond the sword patch, but when i try to run the game i keep getting errors when it gets to loading the xml

I never truly liked them as they were more based on city building and lacked in combat.

why?

every civilization game after 3 has fucking god-awful art and animation, I don't know how any of you can ever put up with any variations of the civ gameplay concept besides alpha centauri and 3.
"culture" in 3 works as a better abstraction of religion than the actual system of religion in the following games.
I don't fucking understand why people put up with games that absolutely mandate you open your borders to get commerce instead of commerce bonuses being handed out by improving infrastructure to make trade easier (the dreaded road grid). it really seems like most of the flaws of the last 30 years of civilization games came from some autist getting angry about there being rail/roads on every tile between every city, and instead of coming up with a better way of representing road coverage with ingame art, they just fucking killed tile development as a core part of the game.

nigger wut?
3 like in your pic related was pretty good looking, but you must have a serious case of 2d faggotrism if all other ones didn't look good

so roads just giving commerce yield wherever they are, is a good trade system for you?

if it worked with bts but not with the mod then some file is probably in the wrong place.
if it's not working with vanilla bts you might be missing a c runtime.

Dude, I really don’t know. Have you tried to debate anyone that thought CIV6 or BF1 are good? Theyre all preprogrammed with the same responses.

If you catch them in a lie or have solid statistics, they pivot to
OK, then that’s an admission the new design is ideological-
History = dogma. It’s a religion, and all the facts will bend to the desire conclusion that whites and men are terrible and have never done anything good. A small population becoming more aware as things accelerate doesn’t make changing times.

Marxism = cultural victory of Western nations.

Unfortunately, this.

So…

What about Beyond Earth?

better than civ 5 with the brave new world expansions

We don't say that name here.
Delet this immediately.

it's alright, you can go full warhammer and make a bunch of space marines that are stupidly overpowered. The game is pretty confusing if you're used to civ because all the names of shit are different. The wonders are confusing and don't make a lick of sense. Just ignore the flavor text and names and just look at the stats. Do as many side quests as possible, they always have decent rewards. Level up your dudes by killing xeno scum. Take out the french cunt first, she's irritating. Play as russians if you want to do a proper conquest.

Tomyris is the only okay female from Civ 6.

Endless Space 2 or Endless Legend tbh, depending on if you prefer space or fantasy. Endless space 1 can be safely skipped, it's not bad but it's a bit outdated.

Oh yeah I read all about that on Kotaku.

[Specific Reference Goes Here]

If you're gonna buyfag get Endless Legend or play an older civ game. All the new ones are trash.
t. Civ 3, 5 & Endless legend which is pretty good tbh

nice meme, saved. Roving Clans are one of my favorites.

Civilization 6 is just Civilization Revolution in beta form.

I liked Civilization Revolutions though.

Sure, it's Baby's first Civ game- but on mobile it's a great time killer when you're stuck bored at work.

I also enjoyed CivRev 1 and 2, but 6 feels like it took the cartoony design aesthetic and just went with whatever was designed first.

Played a lot of Civ IV and V and the first one I ever played was Call to Power
What's the deal with Civ VI? It's having an expansion now, is it trash?

Wasn't that China's leader for Civ V, Wu Zetian or whatever?

As much as I liked God and Kings additions, I fucking hated Brave New World.

new features
at least they seem like some cool features

it actually got me remembering how hyped I was when civ6 just had came out,
it actually got a low of revamped features that were pretty cool
the problem is that they were so badly implemented,
wonders for example have no yield, which questions their effectiveness, districts as well, and take ages to build
still have workers but they have instead only 3 uses, which is more annoying than anything
support units are basically shit, military is still board game unit carpet across the map
so they really had some good design to work on, but instead shat so badly on it
and thus is why fail to see hope that they can fix this game

You do know they got that idea off of Endless Legend, right? Also, the game's balance sucked too. Romans were op with that auto build roads.

not valid, there are many similarities of the like among game design to just assumed that they copied it
anyway, their implementations differ vastly between these games

K Stefan.

I absolutely loved the religious aspect of the game, it was a lot of fun going to war through missionaries and inquisition.
The real problem with the game is that it chugs like crazy near the middle and the game would become unplayable after a while, just incredibly bad bloat. Only played at launch though so don't know if they fixed that in a patch.

the lack of districts actually made the older games, Civ 5 in particular, actually feel kind of empty to me since so much of the land around a town ends up just being a mess of farms, mines, and cottages.

They already shamelessy ripped the districts from Endless Legend, they should just rip off the battles too. Bring back stacks but make an actual combat system that it zooms in for.

Oriental Empires did a really good battle system.

Moves are planned, and everyone's moves execute at the end of the turn. Military units will engage each other on the map, but a unit is actually a bunch of dudes on the map that will fight Total War style. You can stack up to 12 in a single tile, and tactics become important - flanking is critical, for example.

It's easier to watch than for me to explain it, skip to the 3 minute mark to see a town being attacked.

Speaking of leaders, why didn't Civ 6 come with multiple leaders for every civ?
If they didn't spend so much time on tumblr tier 3d models, every civ could easily have 3+ leaders.
Actually, for the price they're charging, they should more content period.

Get civ5 complete and download the community patch project aka vox populi

Let me say that again

Get civ5 complete and download community patch project aka vox populi and turn tick the box that says 'turn off all events' when you start a new game.

You wont find a better civ game. Beware: The AI is competent in this mod so don't crank up the difficulty too high just yet.

Why?

Because that part of the mod is badly written cancer and pops up way too much

also

also

well civ 5 had the worse improvements ever,
in civ4 you had real variety, like lumbermills, windmills, watermills (so many mills), cottage developed into towns and so on, had way variety on the terrain map
in 6 you have shitty improvements and have to choose between productionless districts,

seriously one of the most annoying aspects of the game, you really gotta spam and micro those motherfuckers

to you mean actual lag? I had not noticed that, but for was the game became mind numbling boring pretty quickly

That's how demoralized I've become. I still hate them and wish they'd fuck off and leave this country.

Really well said, wish I was as insightful as you, words to live by Mr.Philospher from Holla Forums, I mean that with the highest regards.

Yeah Revolutions was really good if they portd it to PC I'd ocassionally play a game or two. Too bad you couldn't customize some settigs and managing late game armies was a fucking real chore, you couldn't move them all in one stack what a pain.

I gave up on Civ5, had zero hopes for this marxist inested game and it turned out I was right not to. This games has massive flaws and one of the biggest is performance, the turns still fucking take ages and the AI isn't that advanced it requires such long turn times. Fuck you Firaxis, you sjw fucks.

but why do you rage about pakis and niggers? they're not at fault for your pathetic life

The could be, user. You presume too much.

Everytime I have to pay into welfare from my taxes, niggers are indirectly at fault. inb4 wagefag, fuck you you're also the problem.

I will warn you, you will not find SMAC's like again. It is the best of the entire genre, and Civ has been going heavily downhill since Civ 3. If SMAC bores you because it's gotten too easy, I would recommend installing Kyrub's AI enhancement patch. The AI becomes much, much smarter with that patch installed.

I strongly recommend Civ 4 though, strictly for the mods. Civ 4 has some rather famous quality mods like Fall From Heaven that make it worthwhile. Civ 5 on the other hand is not only severe steamshit (replete with the most godawful multiplayer lobby system ever seen - your lobby is regionalized to your steam download region, making changing locales a retardedly unintuitive process and ensuring you see minimal lobbies no matter where you are) but it has a terrible 1 unit per tile design, completely retarded AI, bad setting customization, unbalanced civs, severely unbalanced natural wonders (with no setting to disable natural wonders), the shittiest espionage system of all civ games, and a crappy happiness mechanic which was used to make the game more casual-friendly by punishing players for expanding, settling, and conquering by running out of happiness which would cripple your civ and ultimately cause revolts plus the AI likes to gang up on you if you go to war a lot. Oh, btw, some DLC factions are practically cheats, like fucking Babylonians.

Civ 5 is playable with all the expansions if you only play online (AI is retaaarded and cannot into 1 unit per tile combat) but there's no good multiplayer mod support in Civ 5 and you might have to set your steam download region to someplace that is more heavily populated to find games. And then you'll have to set your steam download region back to your own region when you want to actually download shit. Crap-tastic design at its finest. Also, sometimes the online games shit themselves and you have a netsplit where half the players suddenly disconnect or the game just freezes. Get used to that.

Haven't played Civ 6, but the consensus is that Civ 6's AI is worse than Civ 5's, the UI is shit, various aspects are outright broken, it's generally unpolished, programmers can't code, Civilopedia is crap, and it's pozzed, in case you care about that. There are more people playing Civ 5 than Civ 6. Skip it.

Civilization: Beyond Earth is like Alpha Centauri if Alpha Centauri were designed by retarded 5-year-olds instead. It was stillborn unappealing trash. I tried playing it a bit during a free weekend and I lost interest within like 5 minutes. I don't think anyone really liked it. It was just disappointing dreck nobody liked to play.

The best thing to happen to the series.

Warlock's also a TBS with a 1 unit per tile design, but unlike Civ's stupidity it has actual tactical design for its units and the AI has some sense of how to do combat with them. Civ is just pants-on-head retarded.

That's debatable as all hell. The part about warlock ai being competent not the civ bit. What's not is that you're due for some vanilla civ4 and the chance to remember just how proficient the AI was in that before custom scripts, expansions and mods came into play.

Know what's also for certain? Deathstacks suck ass, and they have since well before the entire royal punitive expedition being stacked in that one tile of marsh on Jamaica or Ivan deciding to unload 50odd units of cavalry from one rickety boat just outside your FoV.

Civ 1 was the best Civ. You had real zones of control back then and reasons to build fortifications, mountains and hills actually mattered, you had to put thought and effort into trade caravans rather than get the connections for free, and the game wasn't full of superfluous shit that just drags it out for no reason or makes it pointlessly big.
I bought Civ 1 on day 1 and I've played them all other than Civ 6 as it's just hopeless now, I even was a closed beta tester for Civilization: Call to Power for Linux (bastard child of a bastard child), so I have the experience to not just be recommending "babby's first Civ", or at least to point out the babby effect goes all the way back to Civ 1.

endless legend runs worse
which is crazy considering that both it and civ 5 are made in unity

'made in Unity' doesn't say much as so much of the performance of a Unity game comes down to the devs. I work on a relatively large Unity game and it's a constant struggle keeping the less experienced members of the team from generating garbage. They're never really taught how harmful even relatively small amounts of garbage per frame is or how to avoid it. Many also treat the hierarchy like it was a web DOM with jQuery and melt the CPU.

nope, you can't blame them for you problems wagecuck,
and even then welfare is paid for poor citizens, not immigrants, so blame the economical system instead

maybe he got cucked, but even then, you can't blame them if you can't satisfy your woman

what an way to demonstrate stupidity

Sounds pretty realistic to me.

If only.

Wrong.

Really doesn't matter how good a game system is if the AI can't handle it, and 1UPT doesn't really make sense for a game with the scale of Civ either. I don't really think Endless Legend is too great of a game, but their combat system's a far better way to handle the doomstack/chokepoint/strategic defense problem. If you want a quicker fix, bring back collateral damage for every combat victory outside of cities and put zone of control back in, that's how Alpha Centauri does it and it frankly works pretty well too.

Ain't that the truth but your stack/collateral damage was garbage. Or do you suppose that it's well balanced and reasonable when a cruise missile or two kills a land stack of few dozen units? Maybe Call to Power was on to something.

How about you don't stack up a few dozen units on the same tile then? Why do you even have a recognizable stack of land units in Sid Meier's Airforce Centauri?

I'm the one with the missiles in that scenario.

It always comes back to AIs not knowing how to play strategy games.

At risk of sounding like a shill with (3) posts about the same game, Endless Legend's AI seems to not be too bad- I've been surprised occasionally by some smart moves it makes…. and plenty of times with dumb moves. In diplomacy you can actually see the weight of a deal and if and how much a deal favors one side, and adjust accordingly before proposing. If the bar is green, they're likely to accept (they don't always).
Dragons are literally broken though because they can force other people into peace, alliances, and even force truce. If someone declares war on you, pretty sure in one turn you can force truce and then close borders, thereby unceremoniously moving their troops out of your land and dumping them in the cold. Granted, this does NOTHING for privateer armies (ignores politics and appears neutral, but isn't) or the buggmen (immune/banned to/from politics), so watch out for the Roving Clans and the Necrophage factions.

Oh yeah, I should mention that I'm and not 3 but 2. thanks vpn

IV for long single-player games with depth, V with all the expansions for either multiplayer or a quick SP game hope you don't want to be a warmonger because V's only truly effective military strategy is an early rush, shit's gay. Avoid 6.

This is how females managed to take over the video game industry. You have no balls.

Why the fuck would you pay for a game you can get for free? What did the publisher did for you that you have to give them money?

I don't know, something about its city building ideas seems fucked lately. I'm pretty sure it didn't use to pull shit like this.

this, and to be honest, EL isn't that great either, it just spreads units over the map like a puzzle thing
Total War has the most satisfying battle system, but isn't 4x in the same sense and scale
Oriental Empires is the one new system which does this best, units can stack in small armies and organization, and movement is play out simultaneously

the problem with AI and strategy, is that while you can make it good for a single layer, there multiple layers of strategy to take into account
a human player can take all of those into account without much problem, plan ahead and even be flexible when things don't go as planned
and keeping in mind that these are actually game programmers we're talking about, we can't expect for them to come up with skynet type of stuff

I wish I could play a strategy game with you anons, but there's nothing that trully interests me right now and what few titles interest me are published by ubisoft and even requires Uplay.
I guess I'll try Kingdoms and Castles by myself for now.

Well that's new to me. The ai is probably looking at the FIDS output of the tiles, ?ignoring borders? and definitely ignoring expansion. The best way really is just to add more logic trees to make your ai make more intelligent decisions.
Still better than civ. The lead dev for Civ 5 space reskin came to my uni once to shill his piece of shit and ask for money- he told us to our faces that DA ONLEE WAY TO BE CHALANJIN IS MAKE DA AYY EYE CHEAT, you know…. instead of just make better ai.

The alternative is to make simpler games. Not trying to call for a dumbing down of games here, but AI naturally manages games with less complex sub-systems better because it's less work to make the AI play well and just less room for mistakes that look perfectly logical to the AI/synergy effects that the AI isn't programmed to look out for. Example here would be Master of Magic and Master of Orion - same developer, probably similar AI on the base level, but MoM AI cheats harder while playing worse, even factoring in the cheats.

Play 4 with the Fall from Heaven 2 mod installed. Best fantasy 4x ever made.

It's still not difficult to make good ai.. just tedious. I was going to write out a simplified algorithm but then I got lazy. Essentially, you have it look at tile outputs, make the AI heavily prefer to be 1-2 spaces away from region borders, prioritize district building for both approval and nearby resources. Part of why it plays worse is because having all those unfair resources factor into the decision making of what it needs, so it screws with the algorithm.

People who instead of improving their own country come to another for an easy life are parasites and it's no wonder that their home contries are shit with that attitude.

Also, you do realise that image is making fun of the kind of people who "say go back to Holla Forums"? Fucking newfag.

There's no denying that Warlock's 1 unit per tile design is leagues ahead of Civ 5, both in the unit mechanics and in the AI. Whether or not you think 1 unit per tile is a good design is a separate question, but it's clear that Civ 5's design was incredibly uninspired. They took a strategy game and implemented a 1upt design for more tactical combat except they forgot to rework their unit and AI mechanics to actually suit tactical combat.

"The tragedy of Earth is not that so many died. Death is an inevitable part of life. The tragedy is that so many died as victims. When the crisis came, they were helpless, unable to use their deaths to buy anything of value. Millions of otherwise intelligent people had been tricked into ignoring a fundamental truth: that no man has any rights if he is unable to personally defend them."

Yeah? How so? Seriously, I don't remember W1 doing jack to change the CiV combat formulas. W2 added some more unit traits, buff spells and such but W1 is mostly a reskin. And CiV had three major changes in regards to IV and combat: units don't necessarily die in one round, bombardment actually does work and cities ain't defenseless.

Now what I'd personally love is cities growing/sprawling as in Warlock, having the option to make specialized mining/growing/producing/whatever bases as in Pandora and finally keeping a limited number of units per tile.

Are oriental empires good? i think about getting it, it pleases me thematically and eastheticaly, which is already more then other games from this genre do

its pretty good, check the catalog as it has a thread up
but its somehwat hard to get into

Speaking of things wrong with Endless Legend.

whats wrong?

This is going to take some time. I hope I didn't make mistakes while writing this autistic essay.
One expansion of the game introduces legendary deeds. First to achieve a certain goal gets a reward, stuff like pacify X villages or kill Y armies of another player. 3 of these unlock per era, 1 of them being a buildable world wonder. In the image, I just achieved an Era 1 legendary deed of using 4 luxury resource boosters, which give realm-wide benefits by consuming luxury resources. I got all of those luxes from being lucky with goody ruins, and was able to boost with them because boosting on 1 city is dirt cheap (5 base + 5 per city, so 10 for me). The reward for this deed is 130 units of a random era 1 luxury resource. The eligible resources are, I think, the following:

IIRC that dude is working for Stardock now. I think he was making the Fallen Enchantress series, which had a surprising number of awful duds. To Stardock's credit, though, every time they fucked up they gave you the sequel/reboot for free. You got the feeling that they were determined to give you your money's worth and deliver a game worth playing in the end.

Better movement, better AI, better tile design instead of the rampant chokepoint shitshows. It feels relatively minor but Warlock definitely handles 1upt better than Civ 5, which has no fucking clue what it's doing. In Civ 5 it's all archer master race since melees always die before they close ranks with archers and even mounted units get focus fired down. Even for capturing cities where archers have a penalty, they are the best unit, with maybe a cavalry to cap the city fast once the defense drops.

I dont know man, whenever I play civ I almost always end up 2 eras above the computer and just steamroll them nukes while they are still using muskets, its a pretty effective strat.

Shitter detected

I liked that explanation user, well done, yeah it isn't that well balanced game

why shitter though? his arguments seem pretty valid

never played warlock, is it a good game considering the genre we are discussing?
on the regards of combat too, I remember Pandora having a good combat too, did it have simultaneous battles or what?

Paxton got to write the script for Fallen Enchantress which is a part of the Elemental series. And I don't believe he did anything else for Stardock or his tanked independent project. Which is rather unfortunate

How so? It's the same system from V.

Now I know you're talking out of your ass. user, W2 added a ton of improvements and yet the biggest (or almost any) threat to you is not the other players but semi random events shitting dragons, giant elementals and other you're fucked tier neutral creatures with events/quests. Fucking tile design? Nigger, spreading out and plugging gates with cities/artificial chokepoints is not only effective but very easy. And that's if a world/plane isn't generated as mountains in between (lava) lakes.

To claim Warlock 1 did jack to improve the AI or mapgeneration is a case of some serious nostalgia going for you.

No, but it can be fun. Think what would happen if CiV and nuMajesty made a baby and then botched the abortion.

The what now? If you're talking about that AoW garbage, why would you want that?

This is the single most egregious lie I've ever seen. Case in point, endless legend doesn't crash when you try to use the ui while the turn processes the AI. I've never found anything that runs worse than Civ5.

You think Endless Legend runs worse than Civ5? Fuck just the load times alone make EL much faster to play. Civ5 is a decent game but it runs like shit.

Delicious balance early on and a reasonably high skill ceiling when it comes to learning as you go, but plenty of difficulties to take it gently until you're ready. Enough differences in Civ's to allow freedom to move and enough randomness and variety that you have to be creative. Definitely the best Civ's of the three.
A fine choice. Balance is shot and there are plenty of serious drawbacks the more skilled you become, but ultimately has redeeming qualities like leader-based strategies and different wincons that can be fun. Overall a good effort shot in the foot by some dumb choices and balance issues.
A bunch of decent ideas but poor implementation. If you play the other civ's you'll get a sense of why. Civ 5 tried to 'fix' doomstacks of Civ 4 which completely fucked military balance for the game. Civ 6 continues this trend of fixing what ain't broke by adding in city planning. The problem is, Civ's is a 4X game, and instead of expanding your empire, you end up spending a bunch of time expanding just a handful of cities.

Both Civ's 5 and 6 have a 'one unit per tile' rule, which makes managing large armies a tedious chore. Furthermore the AI is absolutely awful at tactics and positioning making it easy to manipulate or overcome. They have balanced the game around their shitty AI in the past to boot. Civ's 5 certainly made big leaps in the game, but Civ's 6 does several small hops while also regressing a bunch of other improvements from Civ's 5.

a game previous from the developers of Pandora, had simultaneous combat, where you plan movement and they're only played out at end of turn, so you had legit flanks tactics and etc
now I can't remember for sure but I think that feature made Pandora as well

I admit you have me at an disadvantage. I know they're doing a 40k 4X for slitherine but I don't believe I've seen this conquest game before. It any good?

that's it! good internet points for finding out user
its pretty fucking good concept, the game itself is pretty small on focused on quick engagements, like 15~30 minutes
but it has solid balance and strategy, and being simple, even a good AI
we can try to find out a pirate copy, from what I remember it lacks any drm and has free multiplayer, can be fun to play

I found out in the early civ5 disappointment days if I remember correctly, because of that I was pretty hyped and even got into Pandora during its beta days
thus I'm quite surprised, if they made that feature into Pandora it could have been a whole a different game,
example: Oriental Empires is like that and pretty good addition to the genre

that is the first I've heard about this new game in development, just looked it up, and btw, looks good

Civ4 is the last real Civ game.

Fucking finally, someone who wants to talk mechanics. I've got 300 fucking hours in the thing and didn't know you could queue boosters. I knew you could queue stockpiles but not luxury boosters. I'll be exploiting this, so thanks.

I'll have another bitch here. The fucking tempest expansion hosed my robot death cult hardcore. You're now even more screwed as you would desire both resources and a coastline. You're also double screwed for coast as a lot of the time you'll need to found your city further away from the coast to hit the level 3 city centre for your questline. Plus the re-balancing of the resources has reduced the amount of resources spawned on land and I just recently found out they have a forest start bias. So you have a faction that needs to scout like fuck starting in double movement consumption terrain, that is also dust poor, which you need for early bribes. They also added titanium and glassteel to goody huts, meaning that you're now even more luck bound on how many turns you can scout for an ideal start before going bankrupt. I'm not sure but it also seems that actually useful minor factions also only spawn on arid, Kazanji/Ended, while I think hurnas and tetike spawn on tundra, so you're stuck with trash for early aggression/defence. Oh and they added a hard limit of how many turns you can scout which automatically gives you a loss if you take too long.

tl:dr is the cult so good in multiplayer that it deserves such luck fuckery? I know you rush the multipole but is that it?

Warlock 2 is shit. The city limit and tiny maps make it near unplayable.

They did change it in a patch recently so that religious units are on their own layer, but it's still just apostle spam.

If you don't spawn in a coastal region, you can still get on water, you'll just need extremely deep pockets. If you somehow get a sea fortress through parleying or sniping an undefended one, you can buy ship mercenaries in it. Don't think getting on water is absolutely mission critical, a lot of free resources help of course but you're investing significant resources in it that you could be investing in ground armies to steamroll other players. For the record in pangaea test games I've had 7/10 coastal starts. I would also not recommend moving more than 1 turn under any circumstance (Roving Clans are the big exception, they can basically move for as long as they damn well want to), you're going to fall behind too hard because the lost turn advantage snowballs a lot over time. The bigger factor to success is getting the conversion snowball rolling anyway, and for that you need to not be boxed in. And usually you're coastal if you're boxed in, so you can expand in some way.
I don't know much about the cultist start either, apart from parking your starting hero in your city as governor for the entire game and focusing your workers on preferably Influence or Dust, whatever helps you get more villages right now, but I think you're usually limited on Influence because you tend to get enough free pacifications from parleying. What are you talking about with Multipole? Industrial Megapole? Wonder spam? The Megapole is very useful if you can get it (in particular, get lucky enough to roll 15 titanium/glassteel). Museum not so much. Everything after that is not very contested.

what are the chances of something being done about this?

what about it, did you end up without waifus?

The main reason is the assumption that if I'm compstomping I should play through whatever start I get, such that I'd never get land resources. You'd think sea fortresses would help the cult, but to equip any sea vehicle you need *both* resources, so the early sea is going to be denied to you for lack of dust, so you're back to wanting decent land resources.

You actually want to be selective with your early conversions, especially since the conversion cost increase has been massively scaled up. Only take full exploitation early game, priority on anomalies.

Attached is me laying siege to an enemy capital on an arid "few continents" map. Shit all guys left in my army but he's completely depleted and I have 4 more ended converts on the way. Originally had two 4 stacks of ended with the level 2 military plan and blood crystal booster. As far as I know I was facing equipped stacks as I was playing on serious, but maybe not? Half the problem is fuck all people play EL so you can't tell what is good or not. Opinions? I also think this was a turn 6 city plant.

And yes, it is the industrial megapole. Half my problem is remembering to prioritize it when you're trying to get the science stockpile tech to double you war spoils and trying to get enough dust for the blood crystal.The war spoils certainly help with buying megapole ingredients.

Second screenshot is turn 82, I like to think this is well recovered from me going full war support instead of conversion spam. Plus I have an entire island to expand to. Again, I have no frame of reference. I could have allowed truce for some resources but that would have just allowed them to build up while my trash mobs obsolete and really I wanted my own damn island.

Very wrong. According to Wardell, he was (and possibly still is) in charge of all of Stardock's game projects. He was a senior project manager at Novell before he moved to Stardock.

Civ 5's units are notoriously immobile. 2 tiles movement unless mounted/boats. It's a great design for getting fucked by archers and being unable to maneuver for shit. Persians in a golden age can move 3 tiles though, making melee capable of ambushing archers.

It's been a long while since I last played the cult so I have no real frame of reference. Might not even have been on current patch. I did usually try to use a stack of equipped Nameless Guards as the backbone of my army, buying strategics instead of blood crystal and putting a good combat hero with some insignias on top of that. Supported by your horde of converted units, of course. Depends a bit on the other factions, but sometimes you get some that just dump tons of titanium/glassteel on the market and bring the price extremely low, and that's when you can even afford titanium rings and stuff.
You don't need any fancy ship equipment for expansion vs. neutral fortresses. They'll be defended by something in the region of 1~2 boarding vessels or 1 boarding vessel + 1 fireship. Four boarding vessels are already enough to take over a good deal of that.
I also think your citizen allocation in the second picture is a serious mistake. Maybe it's just temporary science or something but at that state of the game I tendencially have a lot of workers on food to spam expansions. And if you plan on using science/dust workers a lot, make a titanium or glassteel book. Should have titanium armor 2 (maybe even 3 from a random quest) anyway, because insignias are pretty useful on your main combat hero. Speaking of expansions, you have 51 pearls burning a hole in your pocket and an anomaly next to your expansions. Pretty sure winter 3 should have already happened, so where's that Abbey?

fucking newfag

I just literally finished that game. Fucked it up because I couldn't find the region you have to attack for the questline, eventually was able to peace and bribe enough guys to get vision on where I was going.

Unfortunately for me as you can see in the second picture the wild walkers had already started snowballing, there's always a Yang impersonator on Serious and I assume above. The prick had 5 and 8 units garrisoned in the fortresses just to the left.

It's temp science, I got some moonleaf so I'm trying to use it up effectively. Usually production goes in 10 turn cycles with whatever booster I have. Already have both the books. It was switched to dust for a while after to gather enough for the bribes and in preparation to buy a governor with slavery, which also didn't show until late, I would usually prefer to buy a slaver as my second hero. I assume you know about slavery with conversion? That's also what the research is for, maximum production so with slavery I can drop the Temple in 6 turns. Might replay from this point and really commit instead of twiddling my thumbs if I want to capital snipe. I can do turn 158 wonder.

Arid changes the frequency of winter, so no third winter. Playing on normal speed as well.

I know what Slavery+Cult is supposed to do. Guess I misremembered it getting taken out. Must also have miscalculated how your science/pop was summed up, I just assumed +5/pop national wonder and nothing else which is pretty retarded in retrospective since governor already adds +3.

didn't he suck another dude off while giving out oink sounds?

those were gags, commie piggy can't even suck dick well

Prove to those claims would be nice.

There should be a webm around here somewhere.

SUCK KIKE COCK SOMEWHERE ELSE, PAID SHILL.

Are we counting free college for illegal beans and free enrollment at Nigger U paid for by whitey?

I'm sure.

Please take your meaningless arguments somewhere else. This is a 4X thread. You should be ashamed for falling for an (1) and done bait this hard.

did not find webm but found this, there might be a webm somewhere.

Here's your new Sejong, shitlord.

Angry is useful, use your anger to recraft yourself.

It's ugly walking in a town you used to recognise and now not being able to turn a corner without some subuman/weakling invader shitting up the place, if you fucking hate a group of societal leeches please continue to do so, letting them have an easy ride just means more of the cunts, do nothing to support or improve their lot and back anything that keeps them at bay.

I'm gook and greatly triggered by choosing Seonduk as leader in game. She's literally nobody compared to other kings in Korean history. I guess SJW hipster devs did their all effort to find a non-wyman Korean leader to promote Feminism.

even if you prefer the older games, 5 is competently made and different enough to warrant a try.
when i tried 6, it was again a bit of a departure but i didnt feel like it did what it was trying to do well enough. teddy roosevelt is cool though.
this was over a year ago though, so it may have improved by then.

>>>/gamergoy/

Civ5 has neither tactics nor diplomacy.

Back the fuck off I have my rights to post itt

Why the fuck are you on the website that everyone fled to after gamergate discussion was banned on 4chan, if you can't fucking handle seeing gamergate?

gamergate itself is cool but nobody likes the anons that it brings in

A wasted potential. Both the core game and its only expansion Rising Tides. They took a page off Twilight Imperium with diplomacy system, a shame that it will not go onto later Civ games probably.

I was fucking maaaaad

Can't you do that shit with great artists?

Kael works for Stardock and Elemental is a great spiritual successor and totally not a mediocre game like every Stardock game ever.

Yeah they are intentionally adding female leaders, even if they didn't do anything of note, to the game because 'women are underrepresented in history' so they need to change history for the good of feminism.

OC

rule34.paheal.net/post/list/Alpha_Centauri/1

are you just thinking out loud or are you confused?

What the fuck do you think, pal?

They just revealed some literally who? gook queen to lead Korea. I'm all for featuring leaders who may not be widely known, but come the fuck on.

It was actually the Dowager Empress Cixi.She was a fuckup. Wu Zetian wasn't bad though: she greatly expanded China's western borders.