Demons Souls Jp servers shut down February 28th

Demons Souls Jp servers shut down February 28th
>gamestalk.net/post-88612/

So it begins. The Bamco servers first, the EU/US Atlus ones will follow.

No messages. No phantoms. No invading. No duels. No Old Monk Boss as intended. The game will be a 100% single player experience in a ghost town world. Forever.

Had to happen eventually and so close to a jp 10th anniversary has the tin foil crowd going 'remake confirmed!' but Fromsoft wanted to leave Souls hell behind with DS3 and it showed in the design. Bamco was going to take down Demon's servers years ago and kept them up only as a gesture for fans.

Its odd to see the early PS3 games online start to die already, its a shame because Demon's was a great experience, but if you never experienced it yourself the clocks ticking.

Other urls found in this thread:

savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=471
atlus.com/fond-farewell-demons-souls-servers/
twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUK/status/935176397072490496
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can always start playing online only games like league of legends instead.

With it being emulatable now its only a matter of time when fans set up their own servers.

This is why building your game around online is a mistake.

You can make it work but you have to have a backup plan when you do bring those servers down. Something that most devs don't do in the slightest.

Console devs are paranoid about user experience so they lock everything down to their services instead of letting the community provide its own hosting.

I hope there's a valiant effort to emulating the servers at least because it's shit like this that piss me off to no end when it comes to online games. Maybe something similar to MGO hopefully.

I played DeS a few years ago and it was mostly a single player experience. Didn't encounter many phantoms neither did I invade and duel anyone other than once. It was still a good experience.

Good, now I can properly do the World Tendency events without turning off the PS3 internet connection, because THE GAME IS STILL GLITCHED AND RESETS THE WORLD TENDENCY TO NEUTRAL IF YOU'RE ONLINE!

That fucking fps drop though, but yeah, still a great game and the start of the "souls" trend. It still cringy as fuck when peoples said " the dark souls of X" instead of just saying, "this game is very challenging"

You didn't like rolling into all those barrels near patches in the fire tunnel and watching your PS3 start to have a aneurysm?

There was online world tendency which all online players affected. That's not a glitch. Back when I played years ago it tended to lean more towards pure white in most areas.

I think the Soulsgiving crowd try to sort it out every november like MGSV nukes before nukes were a thing, but over time the attrition occurs from randoms playing for the first time. Dying a dozen times to phalanx and then pissing off to write a blog about how 'you think hard games are fun but they arent' not knowing their cancerous ability has literally ruined a virtual world once again.

Knowing the DeS diehards in nippon i imagine a huge push in january to have one perfect month of the right tendencies at the right times or something.

Don't worry OP, there will be great revival for the game when the mustard race is allowed to play it in just 10 years.

The problem with that is DeS is a console game, who is going to be capturing data packets and altering the game to connect to a different server?

Really, the overall design of games hasn't changed that much since the PS2 era. The graphics have improved, the controls have gotten better (sometimes), and we've gotten "great" new features like celebrity voiceovers, lootboxes, and online multiplayer in everything. This generation has been particularly saturated with remakes and buggy PC ports. I expect that trend to increase.

Same with any console and handheld games that have online mode content being fucking inaccessible in the future when the servers go down.

Then it's a stupid design decision, having world tendency events to be dependent on the average WT of all players.

The worst part is you're right, there are probably thousands upon thousands of plebs who die hundreds of times to any of DeS bosses.

Honestly it was nice of them to keep the servers up for as long as they did, especially after the initial shutdown scare.

Hardly anyone plays Demon's Souls anymore. I last tried playing last year and even then it was virtually abandoned. I was lucky if I invaded one or two people per hour.

Demon's Souls is a great game–in my opinion the best Souls game–and it shouldn't be forgotten, but all good things must come to an end.

I guess thats the one benefit of fucking nobody knowing how to use the bells in bloodborne and thinking you could only go into other players worlds in the nightmare frontier: when it happens to BB nobody will notice a fucking difference.

It was "always multiplayer", you dolt - as long as you were playing, people could invade your game and rekt you, or (if you're a pleb of the lowest kind) you could summon other players to help you.

I'm currently playing it, actually (I stopped playing it like 4 years ago because I got dragged into Civilization V, and never actually finished it, and a week ago I thought about finishing it). Since I was doing the World Tendency events, I couldn't play it online. I wonder if there are players still having the same issue.

Hello there little bitch, still haven't grown a penis to talk back?

Fantastic.

>SERVERS
>FOR A SINGLEPLAYER GAME

demon's souls really had to have a single server hosting it, otherwise it wouldn't work.

you really can't say this is a console issue when it's been happening on PC for some time too. Most you can do is "rent" servers outside of a few exceptions. Don't be a console warrior.

It's good you're playing it before the server shutdown. Have you noticed any online activity at all? Even when I played the game 3 years ago seeing someone's sign was rare.

Does this include the single-player phantoms and NPC red spirits? Or can you still get those?

I played it 3 and 4 years ago in two separate playthroughs, had some experience with other players but it was largely a ghost town even then. Demon's Souls is a good argument on why you should really experience a game when it's new.

I've been playing offline (because of the reset WT glitch/feature). I tried playing online for a while (before getting screwed on the Pure Black WT on Tower of Latria), and while I wasn't invaded a single time, I still found a couple of ghosts on the Nexus/Shrine of Stroms.

The Black Phantoms NPCs are part of the single player game. You need Pure Black WT for them to show up as usual.

You can play it offline, you simpleton - it has a multiplayer component, hence the servers. But the game works offline just fine, it's not like you will be unable to play it anymore after the servers shutdown.

see

RPCS3 to the rescue.

"Eventually."
The tutorial is the only part that plays well for a lot of people. And who knows if online will ever work?

just gotta find servers that work which uh. well, who knows at that point.

some memesouls streamer finished the entire game and streamed it live.

You sowed the seeds of your own disappointment when you decided to ignore the fact that all server-dependent games will die. Now you are reaping the bitter harvest.

Demon's Souls can be played offline, user. The only things you lose are access to co-op and pvp.

We're talking about Demon Souls, not Diablo 3.

You still can play it single player.

I know. But you'll always feel phantom pain.

b-but, i'll never know what others chose in Catherine!

Why are we still here?
Just to suffer?

Except for invasion oriented areas like the Bells in DaSII the monk fight DeS and etc. The games are more fun without summons and random invasions anyways.

man i'm glad i finally got the chance to play it last summer

also this

This is why all games need a PC version
Future proofing

ok, but that's probably not ever going to happen for a number of reasons.

in another sense too, how does making a PC version of a game exactly future proof them? It doesn't. MGO2 didn't need it.

Elaborate

where did I say any of that? Lets restart so you know what I'm talking about:

I though this post was a reply to my embed answer to this post
I misinterpreted as you saying there would never be working servers.
My bad

MGO2 is the exception to the rule
Games like Chromehounds and Scott Pilgrim can't be played online or even bought.
Community created fixes due to the platform being more open, meaning you will be able to play the games in 10 years with future hardware with locked down setting being bypassed.

scott pilgrim (however mediocre the game is) is available to download and play on any PS3 model before cech-3000 now. chrome hounds, like MGO2, there may be a fix for in the future. Not everything needs to be permanent, nor should you expect everything to be. The platforms that exist for these games already already have many people doing their best to preserve them, and we would be better off encouraging homebrew on these systems as a means to preserve the projects produced for them.

There's just one issue with Dark Souls online with the PC.
You have to buy from steam. Which means you have to suck gabe's fat crusty cock. Do you really want to do that?

doesn't the latest DaS PC version use steam for servers as well? Steam won't be around forever either.

If companies want to stop supporting servers thats fine, as long as they gove the community the tools to fix it.
Which most, especially on consoles which is a closed ecosystem, don't.
I absolutely agree, but lets not pretend like homebrewing console online isn't a much harder task and has much less support than simple community services easily programmed and shared on a PC ecosystem

No shit
Get a code from a key reseller and be done with it.

Neither did Gamespy and I can still play most games with it.

Anyone remember MAG? I still have my disc of that game to this day. What a nice coaster it makes.

Pretty sure Demon's Souls jp servers are Sony. Still F

No

they could be planning a steam port, but that is too much to hope for.

I never even knew there was a contingent to the monk's fight until I looked it up online. I still feel gyped, there, but honestly the game is fucking amazing aside of that.

user, Sony is the one that published it in the Asian territories and they are the ones shutting it down, not Bamco. Atlus got tired of saying they were going to close the NA server, so it's up indefinitely and there is no evidence that Sony's decision will affect it. Bamco published it for Europe and I doubt theirs will shut down any time soon either since they own the rest of the franchise minus Bloodborne.

You say so but everything Japan shuts down first, waves into shutdowns for the rest of the international market. This is hardly any different just because of regional publishers.

Fine by me. I played Dark Souls solo anyways. I made sure it couldn't connect so I didn't get invaded and gimped while I'm trying to play the fucking game.

Do you mean the MGO that was with MGS4? Because it's been back for months. Did you miss the threads?
savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=471
The MGO for MGS3 works via emulators, but you have to coordinate games with people rather than jumping into a match at random.

OP still is posting inaccurate information and making assumptions based on that. The NA server survived the death and rebirth of Atlus via SEGA, if anything would have killed it that should have been it. If Bamco thinks they can make a few extra dollars off Demon's Souls in Europe I'm sure they will ensure they can do so.

That's still speculation based on faith and no trends. There's no reason From, Atlus, nor Bamco would continue footing the bill if the domestic market is in shutdown mode. Especially as the game itself is an exclusive that is nearly ten years past its shelf life with no major updates or expansions to speak of.

Running the Demon's Souls server for a dozen players a day probably costs them pennies, if anything at all. If it goes down it might be because they forgot they even had it running and some hardware failure or network issue caused it to break. Things are different for stuff like MMOs that still retain thousands of players but the overall cashflow is too small to justify the much heftier server costs even at that "low" playerbase.

Then again, to poke a hole in my own theory, if it's so cheap why is Sony shutting it down next year? I'd suspect their reason isn't financial at the very least.

WELL FUCK I WAS WRONG
Atlus official announcement matching Sony.

atlus.com/fond-farewell-demons-souls-servers/

The fuck do I care?

GOD DAMN IT FUCK ME BAMCO TOO
twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUK/status/935176397072490496

How fucking weak and ugly can people get.

Is that really a question you want answered dubsman?

I just did didn't I?

We have such sights to show you.

Just started playing Demon's souls last thursday and went here to see if anyone else was talking about it when I saw the news logging on to the servers. It's pretty sad that I'll never see any of those helpful messages (or the ones telling you to kill yourself) anymore. I'm still happy to at least be able to experience what little life the online aspect of this game still exists, and I hope that the same thing that happened to MGO2's revival happens to this game in the future. maybe the announcment of this game's remaining lifespan will at least boost the player numbers for a bit so I can actually do an invasion or helping someone through a summon. The opening animation to the game will be a little wierd and sad to anyone that keeps playing the game after the shutdown, as well. the world will feel even more empty/lonesome than it already is once it happens, which is kinda funny because those specters of other players are supposed to bring that feeling of loneliness to the game as well, aren't they?

I found a pleb! I bet the black knight in ds1 made him wait half the game for his shitty ring kek

Bumping thread. Anyone still playing wanna do some low level PvP? I'm trying see If I can experience at least one fight in 1-1.

It was OK before the commie shit appeared

Just be thankful it wasn't online only.

this is maybe the most pathetic bait I've ever seen

There more to it than just server cost, they probably want to recycle the server for something else or for a new game

I think this is the perfect atomized numale/bugman/soyboy/cuck pic

Some games rely on stupid gimmicks to create "innovative gameplay".

And then there's Devil May Cry clones that don't let you cancel animations.

Just in time for the pc release.

that's some mighty projection there

Going thru the Tower of Latria was my last amazing gaming experience. It's been that long. Rest in piece, sweet hobby.

I rarely ever go human form in DeS, so I miss out on a lot. From what I've gathered PvP isn't anything special and I don't care for Sous PvP in the first place. Those messages and phantoms being gone will suck though.

Good thing we've got it working on PC via RPSC3 now then.

Why the fuck is there no DeS remake, I understand there's some fuckery with publishing rights but they have a free license to milk Soulsfags.

That still does not solve the problem of online being axed, you illiterate retard.

What does Devil May Cry have to do with Demon's Souls?

How much could these servers possibly cost to operate? Unlike Miiverse they don't require moderation. The physical hardware must be so old at this point that it won't be repurposed elsewhere. Are they not making enough money from the franchise to keep some old CPUs powered on?

you do realize you can play emulated games online right

Not without a master server, dumbass.

PS3 emulation does not yet have any netplay capability, and even if they got a fake PSN working someone would also have to reverse engineer a fake Demon's Souls server like the MGO guys did.