Which game engine impresses you the most?

For me it would have to be
This engine is probably the most advanced engine to date. The amount of graphical quality compared to resource use is absurd. The shaders are extremely sophisticated, it allows for a ton of different shit going on at the same time, and is also used for some good ass games.
Here we see another engine that offers top-notch graphics, although the gameplay doesn't seem to have as much depth as one would like, but I can't say whether this is a fault of the engine or just the game's developers. Witcher 3 runs phenomenally and it's not very hard to run the game on higher settings on relatively old hardware.
This engine doesn't look very pretty graphically compared to some other engines, but is very smooth and optimized.

Obviously infinity engine.

This game literally runs at full settings on any toaster for example.

Talking about good optimization.

keke gt4 was miles ahead of gt5 in terms of graphics. gt5 looked like a cartoon

Congratulations, nostalgia and contrarianism has made you mentally retarded.

GTA4, the game where the graphics and performance were so bad at release that people nearly rioted. Yeahh..

What?

good gameplay can be made in any engine at all, bad gameplay = bad/lazy developers

HAHAHAHAHA now i know you are baiting

deserves more love for the good times we had ;_;

Good gameplay never made in a gamebryo engine, your argument is shit

rockstar table tennis was off the fucking chain

It always fucks with me that the shittiest of toasters can run GTA5 9 times out of 10.

No other engine I've seen has made any modern-ish game look halfway decent and play over 30 fps on a laptop i3 with integrated graphics and 4gb of ram. Even back in the day, TFE and TSE could easily be run on just about anything that could install windows.

uh yeah, it kinda was dumb faggot

nice non-argument friendo :^))))
if you actually read over the codebase of source engine you'll shit a brick with how stupidly and poorly many things are done
oh wait no you won't because you can't read or write a single line of any coding language :DDD

Speaking of Serious Sam, which game am I supposed to play first?

the one you first encounter

Hmm that's funny, source must be so badly coded that must be why I get over 200 fps

Suck a dick you contrarian, hipster faggot

That shit ran on a GTX 8800 and remained undefeated in graffix for nearly a decade. Are people still salty their toasters couldn't run it at release? The only engine to defeat it were the devs themselves working on Shekel Shillizen. At least where graphics are concerned. We all know it's basically a $165M art piece.

Hi, newfriend. The graphics on PC were worse than console at release. Especially the shadows, which were all sorts of fucked up. It was an embarrassment.

If you want to play chronologically, start with 3, then First Encounter, followed by Second Encounter, otherwise TFE-TSE-3. Steer clear of the remastered games, because they don't get the cool physics rooms the original ones get. Besides, the graphics still hold up quite well over 16 years later. SS2 is a totally different story and a love it or hate it sort of game. Overall gameplay is similar to the core games but with a few new weapons, enemies, and more cartoony graphics.

unreal engine

You stated that the game had bad graphics, try explaining yourself better next time.

Back to reddit, child. I'll give you a headpat.

You are trying too hard.

bully was so fucking fun. would a game like that even me allowed now?

If you don't know about GTA4's PC port then you're new.

I love Geo-mod and how it was used in Red Faction Guerrilla. Real shame Volition are a bunch of hacks now.

Creation engine of course

Good

Source Engine of course. I'm still amazed at what Respawn managed to accomplish with a heavily modified version of it.

Source is awful. They got the amazingly optimized Quake 1 and 2 codebases and what they've done with it? Uses some awful soundcache that makes HL2 stutters for several seconds at every level load or when it needs to load a new sound into memory.
Also, remember how optimized the QW codebase was for online play? Well, forget about that, if you have players with high pings, the player hitboxes become fucked. How people at Valve managed to mishandle Quake's online codebase is baffling to me.
Don't also forget how every update of their Source engine base somehow introduces lots of glitches in their earlier games, Half-Life 2 and Half-Life: Source were notable examples of this.

Valve may be excellent for making character models (something ID Software struggled for years, even Doom3/Quake4 had ugly and bulky models) and creating scripted scenes, but engine development is far from their strongest point.

The technology in GTA5 is massively downgraded.

That's glacier 2 IIRC.
But they recently figured out how to make NPC's appear on maps based on conditions from a previous level as well as assigning target status dynamically.
There was an elusive target in hokkaido who was their first attempt at it but it was 1/3 roll pre-determined at the start of the game

Crysis 3 has the best faces in any game ever. Look at this shit, Psycho looks more detailed in the game than his actor in real life!

MT Framework
Frostbite

HL2 doesn't look as impressive anymore because the assets are kind of simple by modern standards, but the Source engine itself can still be pushed to do some lovely graphics.

No one liked that shitty melee in GTA IV, tho

By merely posting here you are a contrarian, why post here when you can post on the more popular Reddit?

it just gives some retards something to whine about. It's a way to say "oh this makes a game worse" without actually explaining why it does.

id Tech 3 for its longevity, for example modern CoD games are still running off of a heavily modified version of it.
Based on Goldsrc which itself was based on the Quake engine everything always comes back to id. It also features a lot of licensed shit

Strictly speaking only Bully Scholarship Edition was made in Gamebryo, you posted the original game.

First Encounter, HD or original is really up to you though HD's engine couldn't reproduce the physics correctly for some secrets.

Crysis after Warhead is a different series, like Far Cry

Fuck Crysis 3, that game is the epitome of visual normalfaggotry. What happened to the comfy, nuanced photorealistic graphics of the first game?
Every game these days with ebin grafiscs is going for the soulless kikewood lens flare DoF motion blur EXPLPOSIONS WHOA SO COOL shit and I fucking hate it.
why are prophet's eyes so huge?

that's not prophet, that's psycho, you play as prophet in 3, also prophet is a nigger

fug, my bad
been a while since I played them

you better be, you've mixed up the best and the worst Crysis protag

Stop.

I actually do miss some of the depth that was in 4, but it doesn't change the fact that 4 took place on a shitty boring island of gray buildings and had some of the worst, least memorable missions of the series.

not an argument

Not falling through the windshield everytime you drive above 30 and crash into something ruins immersion!

Posting le ebin Holla Forums Approved™ e-celeb isnt an argument either

ok

probably makes the game play a lot better too

rockstar table tennis is the only good game here

NO WAY, MY GAMES MUST BE GRITTY AND REALISTIC
HELICOPTERS SHOULD HANDLE LIKE TRASH but have more detailed effect on water surfaces!

MT Framework

Resident Evil 5
Dragons Dogma
Lost Planet 2
Dead Rising

All games I like and that run smooth as fuck

Headpat me, desu~!

poopoo shit

But is it worse than his video about evil free market economies with spooky music and quotes about narcissus?
THIS NEEDS TO BE STOPPED

oh don't get me wrong, I think the consumers are cancer and allow too much shit to happen. crowb is useful but in a sense I wouldn't want to give up on the retards that use him to stress a point that le vidya gaem industry is dead, they're too funny because they're too fucking stupid.

I still find it very impressive just how bad frostbite is

his video was exclusively about CS:GO and hat fortress, which have the best system considering you can get rid of purely cosmetic shit and turn it into "real" money
beyond the fact that no money is real thanks to fiat currencies.
i don't understand why would blizzdrones pay for shit they can't even get rid off once they get bored of their pozzed game.

Is it really bad though? It gets the job done for battlefield. It also has some of the best vehicle combat. I only logged like 40 hours on BF4 before I got bored but still.

So why did you post that picture, idiot?

MARIO 64 Engine. It’s the last time a Nintendo game had a advance engine and fish AI

Good old BUILD engine, the shit that cranked Douk, Shudow Wario and Blud to eleven.
Even Carmack endorsed BUILD and it's creator back in the day.

Damn right. MGS5 ran pretty well even on a 12 year old toaster.

And this

The first Crysis also had DoF and a lot of motion blur.

Elaborate how the Fox Engine is not well optimized. I'll wait.

Great job, idiot. When you want to explain why your “good” engine crashes 100% of the time when trying to load 25 NPCs (24 works only occasionally), let us know. Animals count in that total, too. Oh, and why it looks like shit graphically.

I was impressed by CryEngine 2 when Crysis was released. It's been over a decade and it still competes with the majority of titles released today. But if I had to choose an engine today I would go with my own.
At the end of the day it's all up to the art direction and how much money or free time you have for photoscanning assets. Pic related is the future of vidya visuals.

Developers will no longer actually require skill to make good visuals. All they will need is a ready-out-of-the-box Game Engine™ and enough budget for photoscanning every single asset that will be used in the game.
Faces, weapons, rocks, furniture, foliage. The sky will be just a high resolution photograph just like with everything else. No more talented artists. No more hours spend on innovating and pushing game engine and rendering to new limits. Everyone will now work with the same tools, using the same methods and making the absolute same-looking video games with the only difference between them being the budget they spent on photoscanning.

Vidya is forever doomed. Photorealism doomed us all.

You idiots, games that run on specific engines are not automatically optimised. Yes, there are some engines where most games running on that engine run well, but it's not because of the engine, it's because it has good documentation, and engine programmers spend less time fucking around and actually optimising and tweaking the rendering pipeline to fit the style and requirements of that game. Just because you make a game in idTech 6, doesn't mean it'll automatically be optimised, just like if you make a game in CryEngine, doesn't mean it automatically looks amazing. What you should be looking at is specific developers with the fucking skill and talent to make an efficient system, AND the managerial skills to put it into practice

Yeah, but at the same time, if you make it in Unity you can expect it to suck.

It had Doom 3 tier textures in 2009.

You’re right, user. Developers can’t do photorealism worth a damn. I mean, that’s supposed to be a rendering of a Dublin Teachta Dála and it looks like a fucking forest. They’re way off the mark.

Sure granpa.

Serious Engine in Serious Sam Fusion is kinda crap, I think EDF 4.1 did everything Serious Sam is chalked up to be but better in terms of rendering a lot of enemies.

Source graphics are great because they are so sharp, unlike every game made in UE3.

Goons like you are not welcome here. Take your estrogen pills and leave

user I…

Only because you literally can't manage memory since they only language is C#.

Its faster, cheaper and requires less manpower.
If thats not efficient then i dont know what is

Stop thinking like a business user. Photoscanning has the best potential. But it's used in a really bland and shit way. Every game will look exactly the same because developers will no longer need to get good at their jobs and art direction will quickly become obsolete.

Throwing a bunch of photosannedd assets together and some quick shit shaders on top might look like the ebin next-gen grafix every teenager ever wanted, but within a few years every game will look the same.
Lens flares, bloom, motion blur and photoscans. This is what awaits vidya.

Oh, like most of the games here >>>/htg/ that use 3D models. Since they’re too lazy to not use the stock people which came with the software, people can make mods for the games that do everything the developers refused to do and fix things for free.

Reported. This is the best you can do?

Explain how it is better to scan something under pre-set lighting and “fix it in post” to get the look you want than to set all the parameters yourself, you lazy fucking twat.

I did

How did I move the goalposts? You claimed thay it wasn't well optimized and I asked you to elaborate to which you replied with unsourced

The knife and bat were hella fun though. GTA V loses so much without the same physics model.

There are many other reasons, but yeah, garbage collection is one of them. I work on a fairly large Unity game and we're currently going over it and eliminating tiny things like strings that are generated per frame because the GC hitching is such a severe problem. C# that doesn't do GC is really disgusting code. We've moved a lot of lists to private member variables to avoid the overhead in creating them and it's /nasty/.

That game was my life when I was 13 or so. I spent so much time on the forums there and playing the game. I still remember having a video card that was too shitty to actually render the Hidden, and I'd have to hunt entirely by sound going full "Blind Monk." I killed so many teammates on accident
I wish I could go back to them.

Agreed.

when it came out, the MSM was already saying it was going to be a school shooting simulator based on zero evidence whatsoever, other than R* was making it