Physical Disc Deterioration

So how bad is the disc quality of Ps1/Ps2 games? I found a ps2 with a controller for five bucks and it works, I am just curious are disc even worth investing in. I am pro emulation but I wouldn't mind the CRT experience for the few games I haven't played yet like Vagrant Story, Suikoden II and Armored Core. My local retro store told me that they are probably good for another 100 years, but they are kinda sleezy so I don't know.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERB4SIXTTgsUCqOcoRPIseh2jnRfZWnGITOd_qz7s8E/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Very poor. Discs shattered because the ring spring they plug onto in the jewel cases create rotational tension on the disc, weakening it over time. Paper cases are no better because they can scratch.

Any discs made from a gold alloy will last a very very long time under archival conditions. These cost like $10+ from blanks. Consumer grade blanks break if you sneeze at them. I wonder (((why))) they break so easily.

Anyways PSx discs are cheap

Nothing a little toothpaste can't fix.

Disc rot is a thing that you should worry about, but if you treat your games with a moderate amount of care they should be fine. But yes, only buy what you really want to play. Emulation is your best bet for the more obscure titles, it’ll save you having to pay out the ass for rare games. Things used to be a lot cheaper and more plentiful in the used game market, then the “I’m such a nerd, lol” trend appeared and you couldn’t find the really famous games at any reasonable price. I’ve just been blessed that I have an eye for garage sales and second hand stores.

disc rot only really affects first generation CDs and cheaply printed copies. CDs from the mid to late 90s will likely outlast you, and DVDs your kids too.

if you ask about the ps3 will they tell you it has a super computer inside too?
psx discs in general are nearing the end of their life span.

nah. ps1 discs will be fine 10 years from now and 50 years from now.

except you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about.

ok, prove it.

Digitize your collection. PS1 isos are under 700mb or so per disc, and PS2 are typically anywhere from 2gb to 5gb or so. PS2 fat can be modded to adapt an HDD and play games flawlessly off of it, I would recommend that avenue over discs. PS2 is also notorious for laser failure. Laser failure in itself is a far more important issue than disc rot to be honest, considering it will one day be impossible to replace lasers while discs can be digitized and burned to CD-Rs or put on hard drives.

I bet he's gonna google it now and use whatever random article that support his claims

probably, but if PS1 discs are next on the chopping block my mom's copy of youthquake should have kicked the bucket a decade ago, but it still plays today.

no, i've lost games already. and don't get me started about all my dead burned dreamcast games.

You deserved it

Just fine if you don't manhandle them like a clumsy retard. Never touch the data side unless gently cleaning it, don't scratch the top, and don't play frisbee with them and you'll have nothing to worry about.

CD-Rs were made very cheaply, user. Nobody really expected them to outlast a printed CD. Those gold-alloy discs mentioned earlier were the best, but they cost $10 a blank back then.

well of course. We're not talking burned discs, we're talking pressed discs.

the harddrive died first

back up your shit with tape tbh

Everyone laughed at the Nintendo 64 for using Cartridges.

Who's laughing now fags?

Dunno but I've got a launch copy of RRV that spent years in a wooden crate stored inside a shed and the disc looks perfectly fine (the case looks kinda busted though) and should also play fine (don't have a console to test it ready but it seems to run in PCSX2, well as good as PCSX2 runs RRV)

I'm just gonna leave this here and resume laughing at you.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERB4SIXTTgsUCqOcoRPIseh2jnRfZWnGITOd_qz7s8E/edit#gid=0

Disc rot is a myth made up by emuniggers to promote their inferior way of life. Same way how marxist operate.

This guy again.

Oh man, people used that shit all the time.

i swear you niggers dont give a fuck about your digital shit.

*If* you kept them in a vacuum and never played them perhaps.

DISC ROT
The reflective layer of a compact disc is typically made of an extremely thin sheet of aluminum, which oxidizes (rusts) when exposed to air and moisture, similar to iron, but it does not oxidize quite so dramatically. Cheaply-manufactured discs will degrade over time, as their adhesives and paints disintegrate and expose the aluminum layer to the environment. This usually happens from the edges of the disc, though can also happen when the printing on the disc flakes off from anywhere. Discs stored in jewel cases or similar storage options that are not frozen carbonite or a sealed lead case filled with argon, will expose the disc to the environment.
Well-made discs may last many decades, due to the quality of the printing and other sealing materials that protect the reflective layer from oxidation or abrasion.

Thankfully, game consoles can be modified at the software or hardware level, to allow them to play games from memory cards, hard drives, or from network storage, so even if the originals crinkle up and die, we can still play the games on the original hardware, where we normally only have to worry about (((cheaply-fabricated))) components such as diodes, voltage regulators, capacitors, and transformers fucking off at random.

hes right tho. i've had a copy of FFT that's held up since release day. only a few scuffs from mishandling it.

Disc rot is real. That said, I have thousands of CDs and CD-Rs that were improperly stored and the only one that has disc rot is an old CD-R with MvC2 burned on it. It still runs fine because it was one of the first Dreamcast games I burned and the data wasn't properly padded so it's nowhere near the area of the disc with data on it.

Unless you're some nigger that uses your CDs for drink coasters you shouldn't have an issues.

If they offer you magic beans don't buy em.

Provided some hammerhanded idiot hasn't been mauling them you're still ok but if you're buying second-hand just be a robo-nerd about it and ask to see the disc surfaces first, depending on where you're buying from they usually just put out empty cases on the shelves and have the discs hidden away in some file cabinet, hell have them load the fucker up, it's the least they have to do upon buying them from sellers so it's no skin off their nose to prove their shit is in decent condition.

I've got tons of old, badly-stored discs, and I have never actually seen disc rot myself. I mean, I've got Discovision LDs that predate the compact disc entirely, and they're like new (not that they were great when new).

Comapred to iron one could basicly say it doesnt degrade at all, being in contact with air causes it to form a layer of aluminium oxide on the surface which can easily protect if for 10-20 years if its kept safe from rain and scratches.
I can hardly see notice a difference between a few years old and a 10 years old aluminum block at the shop since they're kept safely inside all year around.
If the CD's are failing I'm fairly certain its not the aluminium failing to protect it.

These ebay prices are fucking retarded, I am going to go hunt locally for a couple days.

I'll show you, stand by user.

Rip game to flashdrive
Put flashdrive in shoebox
Play game in 100 years

CDs are just too unwieldy and easy to scratch or break.

just emulate everything for free otherwise you are bending over and exposing your anus and wallet to scalpers

The pit pattern is sufficiently fine that oxidation, even of a surface layer, will ruin it.

Most of my old consoles stuff I got for dirt cheap and I want the original hardware.

Yes, the deal is just how long does it take.
I have some CD's from around 2004 and they're pretty much the same condition as the day I bought them.

Here, the only disc I have with rot. You can see it near the edge. My camera is awful but it shows up well enough to see it.

Typically, the reflective layer is sealed between the transparent substrate and the upper protective layer.

I have physical copies of about a half a dozen Sega CD games. Only one of them was unable to be ripped due to the scratches on the disc. PS1 games are a lot more durable going by what I've been able to rip.

Try playing the discs. The rainbow streaks that zip across the video? That's disc rot.

Anyone wanting some exact deadline for a CD or DVD: there is none. Every single CD and DVD manufacturer has their own specific blend of what they make a CD or DVD out of, even differing from batch to batch, so they're all rotting at different rates, seemingly randomly but probably differing by batch.

No-one, because the extra longevity does not, has not and will never make up for the inevitable death or explosion of save batteries which either ruin the whole thing or make it so that you have to leave the console on the whole time to complete the game.

While disc rot is real, it's very unlikely to affect you so long as you store your shit in a cool, dark and dry place as you should any data storage media and electronics. That said a lot of PS1 discs were pretty fucking low quality so even the tiniest scratches could potentially leave some discs unreadable(one notorious example was Valkyrie Profile, a lot of the reason the game isn't exactly easy to come by is that a lot of copies just can't be read anymore). Although the biggest issue with vintage vidya currently is capacitors and battery backups fucking blowing up or leaking. Consoles as recent as the OG XBAX HUEG suffer from that shit. Always fucking check the board for any leaked,bloated or weird looking components before plugging in an old piece of hardare, this goes for PCs as well.

would take about $2.25 to fix and get it running as it normally did. You niggas need to learn basic electronics maintenance, especially if you're a mustard LARPer

What happened there, specifically? I ask because I own a copy of Chrono Trigger with something like that.

just a faulty battery that leaked internally. Fixing it would be a breeze, it's mostly just a bit of nastiness on the surface. Get some vinegar, isopropyl, and you'll be looking 90% better.

Battery leaked and corroded a couple of resistors and some solder joints. Nothing that can't be fixed at first glance with some vinegar alcohol, a soldering iron and a couple of new resistors . Assuming long as the ROM chips are fine, but an excellent example as to why you should always check your shit.

Thanks a lot, anons. I'm glad I don't need to buy another Chrono Trigger (though it's not like I'm going to play it again)

But N64 carts do not use a save battery. I'm not sure what they use but I've opened up tons of carts and there is no CR232 on there. I've also never had an N64 game stop keeping saves. Also even with games like that you can easily resolder on a battery holder and then just easily swap out batteries in the future. In that pic the battery leaked for some reason which is rather rare for CR2032s I'm guessing there was some kind of user error.

Disc rot is real but you guys are fucking retarded if you think it's catastrophic and unavoidable.
You can go on twitch right now and find a shitload of autists speedrunning PS1 and PS2 games on original hardware, ask around and several of them will tell you it's the same CD/DVD they've had since they were a kid.

I think there's like 2 or 3 N64 games with internal save batteries. Otherwise the only faulty N64 games I've seen are copies of paper mario? It's weird, but I've seen two copies of the game that crashed and provided a crash log right after you start a new game or load an existing game. Didn't open it up to inspect it, but it was very peculiar.

You'll want to at least get on cleaning that cartridge up though, there are a lot of idiots out there that would pay $70 for it.

has anybody here used tapes for something besides nerd virtue signalling?
all the potential benefits of tape over optical looked useless for small scale use.

because it is. It's meant for backing up terabytes of data.

Any in general use will likely be totally bust by ~2020.
I backed up mine in like, 2002? I believe? So I'm set.

Most people don't even know what Disc Rot even refers to. Brote Tip CDs don't spontaneously started having molds and shit growing and eating away at the material of the disk itself. You have to treat them like shit for that to start.

PC wins again

The key is to store your discs vertically.

maybe not intentional with that pic, but doesn't the the toothpaste have to be a non-granular, white variety to fill in the disc cracks properly?

Interesting thing about copy protection on discs

There's basically a spiraled groove that the data is on, right? Consoles have a pivoted laser that can read that, plus additional data – the copy protection – between the data grooves. So most consumer-grade CD burners lack the ability to burn that extra data in between, so you can't duplicate the physical copy protection. That's how it works.

But if you buy a laser that's fine enough, that has a pivot, you can burn copied discs without a problem

Flash drives and flash memory in general (including SSDs) are affected by bitrot and actually worse than optical media for offline backup storage, since leaving them in cold storage without being powered up from time to time negatively affects their lifespan.
Though I do have 10-year old flash drives that were perfectly fine after being stored for 3 years, I wouldn't trust them with critical data.
An external portable hard drive will probably have a much bigger chance of still being readable and with the data intact after 100 years stored in a shoebox than a flash drive or CD.

Disc rot is GENERALLY relegated to bad pressing, & most if not all sony ps1 & ps2 discs all come from the same factory if I recall correctly. Disc rot affects very early CDs & laserdiscs the most.

Takes less than 10 minutes to fix, you can even soldier in a button cell holder so you can swap save batteries without soldering in the future.
Also the cart in your image was clearly submerged.

Laserdiscs' rot is perhaps the best example of how shitty factories and pressing facilities can cause extensive damage through sheer aging.

emulation > original harware

It's not about filling anything. Toothpaste is just a readily available fine grinding paste. And as you should know, there is no real distinciton between grinding and polishing, both are the same thing. It's just we people call fine grinding "polishing" because the grind texture is too fine and appears smooth to the naked eye.

>>>/cuckchan/
Also all polymers deteriorate, that's just how it works. If it was solid quartz crystal then it could've stayed this way for thousands of years though. Or if it was solid gold plate.

I had an og xbox disc get disc rot some reason, not sure how as it wasn't any older or was used more than other games.

I am pretty much 50/50 at this point. I agree new consoles I won't go fucking near at all, I even draw the line at the N64. But I really like the super nintendo/ sega genesis or the "16bit" generation of consoles. I like the sounds they make, the graphics, the gameplay for most games and the athletics of the whole thing. So I like to have to original with that console. I have yet to warm up to any other console yet to actually own the original stuff. Was just asking about disc in general, cause laser disc readers are sketchy as hell. Also, its going to be annoying as shit to get a good working Pc Engine.

Gamers are vapid cunts user. They just play whatever is new.

Very few people play old games.

They are the biggest cunts. They collect games not play them.

Discs will be good for some 30 years more.

Must be the newer generation that can't take care of shit. I still have my old floppies of Math Munchers, Math Racer, and Organ Trail. Feels real fucking good.

Not to mention the plethora of idiots that do not realize that CD-R/CD-RW=/=CD unless you have very bad luck and the games are on shit tier quality discs.

I'm much more worried about spinning parts deteriorating than the discs. Hell, I'm more worried about any of the electronic components rotting than the discs.

Can you buy these lasers?

fucking hipster