Controller Thread

The Xbox vs Dualshock layout argument could be put to rest entirely if somebody would just fucking make a modular gamepad that has thumbstick/d-pad attachments for both sections.

The only issue this could possibly run into is the lack of precision analog directional control for fighting games, but if you play fighting games you're already using a stick anyway.

Why has nobody made this yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/PowerA-Nintendo-Switch-Wired-Controller-Plus/dp/B075DNGDWM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because it would be expensive and all games nowadays are made for same buttons:
By making it modular you would just raise the price and lose lot of rep as it would most likely break more easily. Look at switch it already have gotten of pads they are easy to destroy because people mistook right and left one.

I just want the controller to be wider, most d-pads aren't that comfortable.

The real question is, what's the best pressure sensitive pc controller and why is the dual shock 3?

I want them be made for actual adult males, every controller I've tried was tiny and felt that it was made for babies and numales.

Gaming is for kids that's why

Is this too small as well?
From what I heard, the controller was designed to fit in the hands of American football players.

When they're in middle school. I still need to scrunch my hands to use all of the buttons.

Post hands.

How about this one?

Also this.

Dual shock 4 is better m8, L2/R2 is much easier to actuate as buttons while still retaining their trigger properties and the central touchpad on PC can be used as the mouse cursor for maximum comfy. I don't even own a PS4

Ds4 is a good general purpose one. Well rounded but i never tried the touch pad as a cursor, is it decently accurate?

I personally have a lot of specialized pads for numerous consoles, some which are useful for just one game like the steel battalion controller. I love a good unique controller.

It is very configurable especially with Steam where you can actually configure it to work like the Steam Controller's touchpads by emulating it as a trackball. You can even configure a segmented trackpad with different sensibility for faster cursor movement in one half and precise aim in the other. It isn't perfect, because the trackpad is a tad small, but it works well enough for it to be a considerable feature and it is also adds 2 extra functionality buttons on the gamepad as the trackpad is a giant button and you can configure this button to input different commands conditional on what segment of the trackpad your finger is when you press it. I configured those buttons to be Alt+Tab on one side and the other is sometimes Quicksave or other frequently used shortcut depending on the game. Alt-tabbing to a browser and using the controller as mouse to consult a game wiki or lurk Holla Forums is very comfy.

Yo why the fuck are there so many controller threads? You guys say the same shit in every thread.

The duke isn't "designed for large hands", it's just poorly designed.

I just need to buy a spare controller, but only the ds3 has decent battery unlike the ds4 , lasting rubber and pressure sensitive buttons unlike the ds4 and no social shit buttons and blue led of bullshitness unlike the ds4, even if you turn it off it's still shit

Are the hori Ps controllers good even for racing games or what?

Only the very first batch of DS4's had shitty rubber. Every batch even from 2 months post-release has proper sticks.
You mean start/select? How can someone be this retarded?
That takes 5 seconds to disable.
Oh, you're a poorfag. I was beginning to think you had legitimate brain damage. wew, carry on.

the same could be said about stalker, mount & blade, fallout, elder scrolls, etc.

Someone did invent a modular controller but if I remember correctly, it was expensive as fuck because it was a specialty item produced in low numbers for handicraps.
Dualshock shitters are literally retarded and they only like their shit layout because of being raised on it in playstation households
Most playstation owners are niggers or white trash

user you tried that strawman last thread, but it didn't work because you admitted you were young as fuck and actually bought an xbone.

Not really a poor fag, just by reading in these threads I've read that the hori ones had a good dpad, unlike Sony's ones and wondering if they were a good alternative.

just fucking replace the left analog with a trackpad for fucks sake, it can double as a dpad if made correctly AND leave space for more shit.
I can't talk about the right analog being replaced, but i'm sure the left one can be replaced with little to no difference in gameplay and can be fitted with a d-pad below it.

You got memed by young children. If you're a non-poorfag dpad snob, get an original saturn pad and a blissbox, you won't regret it.

I don't own an xbone because it has nogaems. I've had various Nintendos, xbox fat, 360, and some various PC controllers. PS controllers are the worst shit I've ever used and I avoid the whole console line because of them.

user you admitted in the last thread that you're an xbone fag.

I'm not that guy, shocker! Multiple people on this earth don't like the dualshit.

Hey guys, best controller.

I had that one as a wireless one. It eats batteries like a whore on crack.

>post identical spergy strawman that you posted last time

It's shit, it feels really solid, but the buttons are stiff as hell and the thumbsticks have huge deadzones.

The Joycons are probably the only good controllers Nintendo has made since the SNES (which were fine for the time). It's actually surprisingly comfy to sit with these separately, with your hands at your sides. Ideally they'd be a few centimeters longer, though.

Anyway, it might just be because I don't play fightan, but I use the keyboard for most everything, except 3D platformers (keyboard's better for 2D)

Mate I'd just be happy with 6 Face buttons.

Will we ever have a proper successor to the saturn controller?

First party? Probably not, since outside of FGs, the 4+4 layout is so much more efficient than 6+2 and the awkward grip that entails to have easy access to all of the buttons versus nice big buttons spaced properly with a fightstick or hitbox.

I've had 3 of these. There's also that fun glitch where one of the joysticks stops receiving all input and then sends a slow, crawling y-input that may or may not have resulted in me getting killed like a bitch at the start of a match, and raped by bandits in Skyrim.

But why?

I hadn't yet achieved the true cynicism of 8/v/ and realized the truth that all games are terrible, even the ones that were the biggest titles during their release, critically acclaimed, and by all accounts good except for 8/v/'s. Let's face it, the only good games are Rune Factory and Dark Souls, and whatever was on the console I grew up with. Truly this is the best board, for how else am I supposed to enjoy hating everything for every reason?

The button/stick positioning isn't much of an issue. I prefer the Xbox's layout, but it's not a big deal. What kills me on the Xbox's controller is the damned face buttons are far too clicky and have a more pronounced convex shape to them which makes them a pain in the ass to press in rapid succession or for long periods. The DS4's buttons are flat and feel like they have far less resistance to being pressed - which is especially nice for using the controller on the PC as a emulation controller since a lot of older games had button spam sections.

That NGC Keyboard controller is, no bullshit, one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. A bit of a pain to type on since it was designed for tiny Japanese baby hands. But as a controller, it was fantastic.

That's the real answer the the layout debate. Stick/dpad is take it or leave it, but the DS has infinitely better shoulder button/face button placement and shapes, that's not even up for debate.

Your calling should have been the piano.

How about you face my cock, you gay homo la-la man?

I was going to, but the men I've sucked off are usually less of a faggot, and have something large enough to be worth sucking on.

That sounds like a woman's comeback.
Quick, what 4^4^4^4?

256, equivalent to 2^8 or 8 bits, one byte. Also, Java, C++, C#, Lua, JavaScript, html5 and css3, hate Python with a burning passion.

Suicide yourself you fucking redditor

What?

I already did that. They gave me a job in hell to torture mortals on earth via image board posting.

Then do it again

Oh, fuck that, I'm not nearly ready for a management position.

You know how PS3 has no game?
Same goes for you, just in the banter department.
You're boring, step it up, senpai.

Oh, I've got something better than bants. Who wants to learn about Fetlife?

Get the fuck outta here with this babby shit and lurk for a couple of years before posting.

pffffffffffffffthahahaha

Well that wasn't unexpected at all.

(czech'd)
Looks like evolveshill's fetish list.

Not even gonna properly respond to this.
ALso you type like reddit.

If he really has some cash, he should get the PlayStation variant of the JP Saturn pad. Not because of brand loyalty. It's because he PS variant actually has a select button.

Fetlife has an active bugchasing community. That's far worse than whatever 2D shit crawls onto e6

Super weak. On a scale from 0 to 10, you get -2.

So? What bdsm/gay community doesn't?

Ackchyually…

How fat do you have to be not to be able to hold one singular controller in front of you like a normal fucking human being.

Personally I prefer the PS sticks being in the middle, but that might be because I'm so used to them, I have a 360 controller as well but i hardly ever use it.
I can see where the xbox controller might feel better for some people in some games however, like bayonetta, MGR those kinda 3D action adventure games but that's it, 2D platformers DS controller and everything else mouse and keys.

Ran across the box for the first controller I ever bought. It had one of those little sticks you could plug in to the Dpad. I think I probably used the stick twice and that was it. It cost far less than I thought it did also.

Someone just saw the Sega Master System pad and thought that was a good idea, since they never put one on the Genesis.

Never had one of those sticks myself, that I can remember. There was just a cheap little plastic cover that fell out and got lost a week later.

I am surprised they bothered to make a cover for the stick hole. I have always used my genesis controllers for my SMS. The regular three button genesis controller is by far my favorite. I really am not sure why i bought that owl pad unless I thought some game I was interested in needed more than three buttons. Even then if they were wired to be turbo it probably would not have worked like the later six button controllers.

The 3D glasses for the SMS were pretty scary. Like having a knife waved back and fourth in front of your eyes really fast.

why are switch controllers so fucking expensive? I like how they look in general and wanted to get one for pc but goddamn, I've only seen them as low as $65 and that was during this black friday, and even then I've heard some are defective and unresponsive.

amazon.com/PowerA-Nintendo-Switch-Wired-Controller-Plus/dp/B075DNGDWM

I love the joycon for all but one major flaw, the sticks are miniscule. Give me joycon with regular sticks and I'm sold, until then unfortunately I'm going to stick with the pro. This is coming from someone that much prefers having a split controller

I've used one of these on my roommate's Switch: The build quality as a whole wasn't very good, and the dpad was especially shit.

Yeah, even with cutting out wireless/rumble, I assume the quality isn't going to be great at that price point.

Probably has to do with all the hardware in them; the motion, NFC read/write, and the HD RRRRUUUUMMMMBBBBLLLEEEE what even is the HD rumble? Just more of the spinny things? Is it mostly software optimizing how well the vibrators are used?
One thing is for sure, the switch pro controller is considerably heavier than other controllers I have, easily twice as heavy as a ds3.

Are you sure? The switch pro controller should be 14.08oz, and the ds3 should be about 11.2oz, so the switch controller would be ~25% heavier.

Maybe I have retard nerves but it feels heavier than that

That would be a plus for me, I find xbone and ps4 too light.

does it work?

I use to have that Gravis back when Mortal Kombat 3 first came out. Good times.

It's not the best gamepad in the world or anything, but it does work. Seems to be super hard to find nowadays.

Oh, just thought of another option. There is an adapter to use Xbox controllers on the PS2.

Post your fucking hands, I need proof that your hands are genuinely too large to comfortably hold a standard controller.

Seems like it has multiple rotors? Most controllers opt in for two differently-sized rotors that spin up at two different speeds, usually located in the grip's handles.

that looks uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time without having handles

What would really be the point? The only games for which offset sticks excel are shooters and you'll get shit on for playing shooters on a console or using a controller for them on PC. They're equally viable for every other kind of game. Also, I'm pretty sure current gen consoles can use mouse and keyboard, otherwise why would there be threads on the GameFAQs Overwatch board about banning players that use it.

how are they on pc

I don't know what it is. Mine whistles Golf Story throw/hit a ball OoB does literal scales Run through a long list in Odyssey, this I have to put my ear up to the controller to hear and can make my hands numb water flooding sections in Blaster Master on top of all that there's that grope game that's coming out that supposedly will simulate the feeling of being an anime sexual predator There's something to it, I guess it probably is just more rotors

Still the only controler I can use for more than an hour due to it not being made for 10 year old girl hands.

Timestamp your hands, I gotta see this.

Back when I worked at gamestop, someone actually traded in a 3rd party controller that you could customize. Both joysticks, the d-pad, and the face buttons could be moved around between four different sockets. I haven't seen one since, but I know it existed and it sucked.

Because I'm autistic, I took pictures of myself holding all the controllers I have. The pictures were taken after playing a game for a short time, with my thumb on the analog stick (if applicable).
It is for asian baby hands, but that only makes it uncomfortable when using the d-pad. Holding onto it is still fairly comfortable, but it makes my fingers curl more than any other controller. The spacing of the analog sticks makes it so my thumb only bends slightly in the neutral position. Since the sticks don't require much resistance, it's easy to get cramped while playing for long periods.
No analog, no problems. The FC4 has a handle on the left side that's missing on the right, which makes every use of the d-pad feel comfortable. I don't care about the handle on the right, because it only gets in the way (especially when using all 6 buttons). Perfect for fighting games and anything 2D. Definitely my most comfortable controller, I'm not sure why Hori moved away from this design in newer models
Almost perfect. It's tall enough to fit the length of my hand, and my thumb goes straight up to meet the stick. The d-pad is in a terrible position, because it's not only lower, but deeper. You can shift your palm to make it work, but it's not ideal for going back and forth. The face buttons are spaced out, too, which feels more natural. The VMU housing keeps me from gripping the controller all the way, along with the excess plastic surrounding the oddly placed start button. It's almost impossible to hold with one hand, but you shouldn't be using one hand in Soul Calibur or Crazy Taxi anyways.
Easily the worst. This is truly made for chink hands, and there is no good way to use the sticks. The face buttons are tiny and clumped together, too, so it's just a terrible experience. Maybe it's just my vita, but the shoulder buttons only trigger if you press on the furthest inside part of the button. As in, no pressing it from the sides, you must reach all the way in. The dents on the back are supposed to hold your fingers, which is a good idea except they're way too shallow, and only good for the tips of your fingers. The only way to use the Vita is by balancing it on the last three fingers of your hands, with your palms hovering somewhere above the screen. d-pad and buttons are clicky but way too small for anything other than the turn-based JRPGs that are the Vita's library. Good thing there's a homebrew application for pairing a DS3 to it
It's a Dreamcast controller but flat. Extremely comfortable, though the corners can hurt your palms after 3 or 4 hours. The d-pad positioning problem isn't fixed from the DC, but it's easier to access since the analog stick is flat. Shoulder buttons are clicky and can be pressed from any angle, which makes pressing them from the side easy. It's really easy to hold one-handed, since you can spread out your fingers all the way across the device if you want. My only nag is the face buttons and d-pad aren't very good, and the face buttons are really close together. It's worse than the Vita's buttons, but they're easier to press at the same time.

Gravis PC Gamepad, holy shit I haven't seen one of those in a god damned minute. Terrible shite, don't miss mine at all.

Holding the trigger on the Dreamcast cramps my hand and some PSP games as well. DS3 is mostly fine but has its other issues.

What's up with the Switch controller? Nintendo has a patent on their D-pad so that one on its right is very strange.

that patent expired

I actually can't go back to the Xbox controller I use on my PC because of how responsive the Joycon sticks are. The left one needs to have a proper dpad though.

Really? So the thing on the left is not a bootleg?

No wonder you think it's for tiny baby hands, you're holding it wrong. You're supposed to float it on your middle fingers, it's actually comfy as fuck with big hands as long as you hold it properly.

This is why the DS3 is still the best "standard" controller for me, despite the horrible triggers. Its light weight and shape facilitates a looser grip style, which suits me well.

How's the D-pad on the Hori controller?

Yeah, the DC triggers could be moved a bit further back. The trigger is actually behind the analog stick, unlike the xbox controllers with triggers in front of it.
I bought it more for its extra technology (motion controls, pressure sensitive buttons, bluetooth, linux support) over the x360 controller at the time, which is enough to have me look over the negatives.

After picking it up, it rests on my middle fingers, each fingertip on the back side of each analog stick. Palms rest on the handles, and it feels fine.
But after 10 minutes of Katamari, I have to fully grip it in order to play without the thing falling out of my hands. Same goes with most other fast-paced games.

Not bad. I wish it could be clickier, but it's at least comfortable to use. That model also has a thing on the back that lets you switch between stiff, medium, and loose, and it lets you angle the pad.

Is it a sweat issue? Like it's physically sliding around your hands? Or do you just naturally grip harder when you're playing an intense game?

Actually it's three. The left and right side are each a button, and so is the top.