Load up pretty much and RPG ever released

Are there any games that don't do this?

Fallout NV.
The Legion and NCR use different languages and different currencies. But of course Beth had to step in and keep bottle caps another form of currency despite how they were faced how OVER A HUNDRED YEARS AGO

*phased out

credits
g

What else do they typically call these?

Most RPGs take place in a region of a larger world, so common language and currency makes sense. But Fallout games and Underrail do the different currencies.

Gold, Gald, Gil, G, Fol

Money (usually allcaps)
Coins
The dollar symbol

Everybody speaks English.

Been playing Monster Hunter lately; What the fuck is z?

Didn't they keep bottlecaps in NV because removing them made the game completely unplayable thanks to Bethesda's brilliant engine?

nuh uh, legion speaks dog latin

WoW had different languages for Alliance and Horde

The Legion speak English to outsiders, their main language is Latin.

and for every race though it rarely came up.

I played it very long ago but IIRC Mountain Blade has different economies for different countries. Don't remember how was the system though

Well how would you implement different languages? Most games would just have one of your party members conveniently fluent in the particular tongue or give you a local translator/scholar that you drag along.
Maybe you could have a questline that involves your protagonist learning the language(pretty sure I vaguely remember that happening in some game). In any case it's hard to implement in a way that makes the language barrier feel real, rather than just a short plot point that you forget about after 5 minutes.

You could still play the game, but you had to trade items the way you did in the original Fallout; no 'click-to-purchase' allowed.
As you can imagine, this made Beth immensely asshurt.

IIRC expeditions: Viking had you not understand English unless you got your hands on a translator

One of the first things you have to do in each Quest for Glory game is exchange the currency you used in the previous game for the local currency.

Like…gold then.
But that's the same as on earth. Anyone worth talking to speaks english.

final fantasy 10 had a retardedly long none quest to translate a language that doesn't matter what so ever in the game

In the original Star Wars Galaxies each race spoke a different language. Their text chat would show up as gibberish until you became proficient in that language.

Protip: Gold is and always has been a universal form of currency. Government-enforced fiat currency is a recent invention, designed so that governments could mess with the money supply and covertly steal from its citizens by inflating the money supply.

And who did you learn about economics from, Alex Jones?

Each race in WoW used to have thier own language, you had to hear another player talking it to learn it more. Undead could speak common.

Yeah, but gold coins are a specific use of gold. Having the stamp of a specific empire was basically a guarantee the money was made from actual gold, and not from mixing gold with cheaper alloys. Even if all the states in fantasyland used gold currency some coins would still be worth more than others, both because of variations in weight and size, but also because of the inherent (dis)trust people would have towards a specific currency.

Way to miss the point of the thread, retard.
Go anywhere in the world and try to pay for shit using gold. You're going to have a hard time and ultimately what you'll have to do is exchange your gold for the local currency (because yes, people will take gold anywhere, but not in the way you're thinking).
And your second point is even more retarded. We're talking about games that frequently have quasi-medieval settings with magic sprinkled over. English only became extremely prevalent on earth very recently. Even 100 years ago you'd have a hard time finding englishspeakers everywhere.
And even if you were right about the shit you said it has 0 relevance to the thread.
Fucking think before posting.

Zenny, it's a currency used in a lot of capcom games such as Mega Man and Breath of Fire.

He has a point with English though. Various periods of history used a different lingua franca to facilitate trade and diplomacy. Before English it was French, for example, so it would stand to reason that nobility, academics, traders, etc. would be at least somewhat familiar with the fantasy version of the international language of trade. That being said, everyone speaking the same language is just stupid.

There is not enough gold in the world to have a purely gold-based currency. For example. China was a nation that used gold for hundreds of years but even they had to abandon it when their population became too large.
Also this is a fucking VIDEO GAME currency thread, why are you bringing in real-world shit in this thread? Your post is almost entirely irrelevant to what OP asked for.

If that is true it never made it to the final game.

SMT? It takes place mostly in japan, so you start off with just yen. Eventually you have to trade it all in for a different currency at a bad rate. The demons don't speak human languages usually, so you need a program to translate your conversations.

But would it really be worth the effort? Much as I agree with the general sentiment it's simply one of those things that are more trouble than they are worth. Sure, it would be neat to struggle with foreign fantasy languages, but there's really not any way to make it a fun implementation, instead it would just be another hoop the player needs to jump through to get to the actual meat of the game.

I think this kind of stuff is much better utilized as side content, deciphering the language of a long dead civilization or of gods and other potent beings, or as part of a spell creation system.

It'd be fun in an MMO like WoW to segregate the playerbase by preventing players from different races to communicate before they actually learn the languages.

Shadow Madness on the Playstation had two separate currencies for the two worlds – Gold for the Surface World and something called Hex for the Underground World.

Sure but that just means you could find a speaker of said lingua franca in places where diplomacy or trade was done, and that could apply to games as well.
Go to a different country, can't understand shit, look for a translator NPC to help you.

Someone needs to get laid, kek.
Replace gold with bitcoins then and get back to me in 10 years.

I'm fucking dying here.

dwarf fortress, every single race has their own language with their own grammar and all that, you can also mint your own coins but currency is not implemented you just barter for trade

The people who translated Dragon Quest IV on the DS deserve severe beatings.

It's in the game. I forget how you do it but it served no real purpose.

Zenny barely counts because zeni 銭 simply means "money" in Japanese.

Its in the game
You couldn't understand other faction's languages and if an a tauren player used their specific language you couldn't understand it unless your character had the language skill.

Regional accents are a thing user.

The melnorme from Star Control 2 have no need for resource units (the games currency) and force you instead to bring them bio matter or find rainbow worlds in exchange for tokens (called credits) you can then use to buy useful shit from them.

The reason for the language thing in RPGs is because of D&D and ultimately because of Tolkien. The currency thing is just because it's easier.

Pretty much this.

Communism Simulator

I know fol is from star ocean, but why.

Nowadays I think both the language and money thing are just because it's easier. Having different languages and currencies is great for world building but it's not an easy thing to implement in games in a way that's functional, relevant to the game, and fun.

I used to play perfect world, no bully and at some point I had 30 million gold coins. 1 gold was 100 silver and 1 silver was 100 copper. Nobody cared about silver and copper.

The language thing can be solved fairly easily by giving you access to people on your team from that region/race. Currencies would be a little more work to make something both fun and interesting.

Whenever commies argue that we should be moneyless society, I always think that they're fucking retarded. The concept of using a "common currency" to buy things with a "price tag" has proven too useful to run successful societies without it.
Which is why I don't mind games that have a universal currency. I like the fact that you can into any town or shop and they'll simply accept your money without giving you shit about it being "foreign" or not. It might not always make logical sense (like in Chrono Trigger, where ALL eras accept the same currency), but at least it doesn't fuck with the game's forward momentum. Never trapping you in some god-awful location that refuses to accept your useless money.

Which are completely different from having a spanish or an italian accented English.

You don't even need to think about countries, little kids learn super fast to use shit like pogs or stickers or whatever is in vogue at their school as currency to facilitate trade in the playgrounds. Using currency comes very naturally to people.

Back on the thread topic, Secret of Evermore had different currencies for each of the games' regions which you could trade at various exchange rates. You could make basically infinite cash when you got the ability to travel freely from one region to another.

What are you talking about? If everyone in the world only spoke english, you could still have a "spanish" accent you dolt.

Everquest had different languages. Everyone knew common as standard (except on PVP servers) and then had a few other languages, usually a racial one but if I remember correctly wizards and their ilk knew more. I think druids too. Probably bard. You learned languages by speaking with people who had those languages. It would all be gibberish and as you ranked up the skill you would understand more and more of it until it displayed in English.
I remember many hours spent sitting at the docks waiting for a boat, and then the trip across talking gibberish at people so they could learn dwarven.

even more annoying, you have Rikku in your party who speaks english and albed but you can't ask her to translate for you

Owslander pls go

There's a Mud called Lost Souls where there 51 different languages. Anglic is the common language, which means 50% of the Mud speaks it. It's the others that are interesting.
Many are race specific, which means you need to learn that language in order to talk to a particular race as they refuse to learn any other. Some languages are dead, with very few people who still speak it, which makes learning it a hassle. There's also the language called Enochian, which is used by traditional hermetic mages to cast their spells.
There's even a quest that can only be realistically completed if you know every language in the game.

The point of communism isn't getting rid of money, it's abolishing production for exchange (where you make something for the purpose of selling it), and replacing it with production for use (where you make something for the community to use). This happens to make money superfluous, but that's just a tangential consequence of production for use.
t. sort-of-commie
Polite sage for not vidya.

Why the fuck should someone make something for no compensation? It works for passion projects like modding, but that's limited to a very small percentage of people that enjoy creating things for others to enjoy. People don't go to work because they love to do it, they go because they wouldn't get to eat and live otherwise.

How are you so insane that you don't grasp the basics of human nature? Our whole history has been trying to invent new shit to avoid more work.

The carrot: As automation improves, less labor is needed. And because you aren't getting paid by the hour, you don't need to spend time at the office or shop when there's no actual work to be done. You and every other worker get an equal piece of the necessities that the community produces.
The stick: If you're able to work but unwilling, you don't get your portion of the necessities that the community produces. "He who does not work, neither shall he eat," etc.
Also, there will still be plenty of production that takes place outside of this communally planned and distributed production; it's only designed to meet people's basic needs (according to whatever cultural definition is prevailing at the time). So you'll still have people working on things that aren't critical in their (much increased) free time that they're passionate about. And they can distribute them however they wish: give them away, trade them, sell them, whatever.
Nothing about human nature is intrinsic to capitalism. We had feudalism before it, and slave societies before that, and hunter-gatherer bands before that and for the majority of humanity's existence.
I agree. That fact is part of why capitalism is filled with contradictions: industrialization has boosted our productive capacity, but people still get paid by the hour, which has led to tons of bullshit service and financial jobs where people mostly sit in offices doing nothing.

I've played very few RPGs where you visit a country other than the one you started in, and i don't think I've ever played one that spans a whole world. I know in the stick of truth when you visit Canada, they have a separate currency.

D&D, at least in Forgotten Realms, has denominations of currency.