The Ur-Quan Masters / Star Control 2

Why the fuck haven't I heard about this game my entire life until now?
This is one of the most fun star-trek-esque games I've played. The scale makes exploration really fun. I feel like every decision has some meaning to it (see in game clock).
I'm having a lot of fun playing the open source version (HD fork version) of this game.
I didn't really prefer the optional official music remixes, as they were a bit distracting and busy compared to the default original soundtrack.

Also, looking at the trailer for Star Control Origins, it looks like complete shit compared to SC2.

Other urls found in this thread:

dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Rnh8mmt3ci8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Star Control Origins looks good so far. Given that it is developed by the same Studio that made Galactic civilizations, there are a million ways how the could mutate horrible. The game will come with an ship editor. That's galactic Civilizations and Stellaris, not Star Control The real awkward junkheap in the series was Star Control 3 That has dabbled in FMV. Compare the dialog with the Spathi to the one with Captain Fiwwho and you will figure out that it hasn't aged that well.

I bet you was born after 1996, have only visited that place since yesterday, or not paid attention. That game is usually one of the usual suspects that always comes up in any Lunix or Open Source gaming thread. Besides that, every gaming rag mentioned that game at least once.

If you still don't believe me on third game, here is short video of the Melee module.

Because the /vr/ crowd isn't very interested in much other than emulating, scrollers and JRPGs. Which is strange since there are a lot of older guys still into /vr/. It was popular in it's day, but SC3 left a very bad taste in everyone's mouth.

God please stop.

This also a good explanation. /vr/ as a whole strikes me as console centric. The most hilarious aspect on all of this is, that LGR has a quasi monopoly on retro DOS gaming, although it seems that he wanted it in the first place. Peasantry is a hell of a drug, I tell you what.

Another thing people don't consider is the culture has changed by having the internet to keep the interest going.
I grew up in a shithole mining town in the middle of Australia, SC2 wasn't even for sale anywhere in town. A lot of new games would come from like-minded friends who'd been out of town for a while and other than magazines all we had was word of mouth. It doesn't surprise me that younger gamers never here about something like SC2.

Well who's fault is that?

Should I try to play SC1 before SC2/Ur-Quan Masters?

Same here although in one of the US's dead railroad towns. My only source of gaming news growing up was my brother bringing copies of EGM when he'd visit. Hell, I still have every issue they printed in 1992.

There is no need for it whatsoever. First SC1 was very bare bones second the entire backstory of the first game is in the intro of the second one. SC2 was also expanded so much that it almost became different from SC1. There is acutally no reason to play unless you want to play it on some home computer.

Fun game but didn't like the way battles were

But you did user, it's called Mass Effect.

Last year when my live in girlfriend went home (other side of world) for Christmas and I had a week off from work, I fired this up for the first time not knowing what to expect.

I played the game solidly for pretty much the entire week, drinking rum for most of it and annotating an A2 sized galaxy map I'd printed out.

The game is an order of magnitude better than Mass Effect at it's best. It really is an amazing experience.

The good news is the devs of SC2 are making a real sequel, likely because they couldn't stand to see Stardock shit all over their work.

Source?

dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

A big problem is the voice acting, and you also see this in the "Ur-Quan Masters" port. The acting sucks, but really, don't think there is any voice acting that could take this type of writing and make it sound good.

It's amazing how Mass Effect ripped off ALL of its lore from this one game, right down to the old man and the kid ending of ME3.

Stop fucking your maid, user. Pinays get pregnant on a dime, and what are you going to do if you get a hapa son?

First day huh?

So I'm guessing they don't have an actual website? Im not a normalfag so I don't use Twitter… Good to here they gonna be doing this. I actually still pop open the game and play it sometimes. To tell you guys the truth when I use to play this game a lot I'd put this youtube.com/watch?v=Rnh8mmt3ci8 on but this one isn't all the song, and he isn't very good compared to the actual CD. Its about 52 minutes long and I'd just loop the songs and let them play instead of listening to the game.

Wow so sneaky, they filter the word n o r m i e with normalfag

I remember try to find any sort of acknowledgement online by Bioware that they'd riped off the mining aspect. Mad as fuck I could never find anything. Another thing a number of games have copied is the hyperspace/interstellar/system travel aspect of getting around.
Over 20 years and Starsector is the closest thing we have to SC2.

Yeah. I noticed this too.

Bioware stolen ideas from everywhere they could.

And yet, despite much better graphics and much higher budget, Mass effect has none of the charm or creativity of the original.

I used a pencil and ruler on a map print out to find the gas-giant world of the race that made those rogue probes and it was one of the coolest fucking vidya experiences I've ever had.

There are thousands of planets in SC2. You have to actually think about where you're going otherwise it's like a needle in a haystack.

Mass effect games suffer from the fact that only a small number of planets are "duds", the majority have stuff to do. This is done for the ADHD mass appeal audience, and the exploratory nature of the game suffers for it.

12 year old me did this, as well as filling half a notepad with heaps of other stuff I thought I'd forget and I thought it was the most gnarly shit ever.

Probably because you're a pleb.

Go back to wherever you came from.

Not to mention that you can't just fuck around randomly too much, or you'll run out of time.

They stole more than ideas.

They did this with the original starcon, too. They just kinda vanished for a while and reappeared with a legendary game.

Let me guess: Wardell the madman gave them the part of the license they needed.

I agree, but…

why you typing

like this?

Because its plebbit speak nowadays. We aren't supposed to talk like /jp/ outside of /jp/ anyway.

I'll look the guys up on moby games. This has to be a MO of them.

That was a good time. I miss quarianposting

I'm not…you're just shitting your pants about maybe one comma out of place.

you are……… goooo backkk …. tooo reddditt….. loll ;;; lol 1!!11
fuck off

STOCK PHOTOS
ALIEN NAIL POLISH

Well actually I've always been here, just been away a couple years just got internet, fuck off

Then turn your fucking internet back off and go back to your smartphone memes faggot.

Because fat idiot thinks it's not censorship if it's a word he doesn't like.

Blah blah blah, I don't care what you have to say cunt bag. You gotta be pretty autistic to think someone like you could say something that would impact me faggot.

You do a good job of showing how much you really don't belong.