Blaster Master Zero

NEW UPDATE VERSION 1.5
archive.is/CVPZb
Added a 1 vs 1 battle mode for you and a friend to use any of the playable characters you DID get them while they were free, right? to see who is the best.

Personally I love this game, really a surprise hit for me. All the updates have been unexpected as well, something I welcome, especially given that they leave for a 2 week free window when they decide to add a character.

What do you think Holla Forums? Love it? Hate it? Couldn't give a fuck? POST IT UP
BLASTER MASTER ZERO THREAD

I thought that Ninty killed this IP, I am pleasantly surprised it is revived. Anyone willing to write a short review?

How would Nintendo kill off an IP that was never theirs in the first place? It was a Sunsoft game, and despite going bankrupt and selling a bunch of IPs off to Acclaim, they kept Blaster Master around, and made two games after restructuring. The IP was in limbo until, most likely, Inti Creates approached them and purchased it (that's what acquired means, doesn't it?)
Nintendo was never involved, with the exception for putting Blaster Master on the Virtual Console.

BMZ - a review
For: user

GAMEPLAY - Just like the original game you are a little dude named JASON in a big ship/tank named SOPHIA III. Sophia gets various upgrades that allow you to access new areas. You'll be exploring and back tracking to find these upgrades and areas. You'll fight bosses in Sophia and outside of her to actually attain the upgrades. You are able to exit Sophia at most any time and run around for further exploration. There are a bunch of rooms that you can only access on foot that take the game from a side scroller to top down movement over your character. These areas have you exploring more to locate maps, items, and upgrades. Most, but not all, of the bosses are found in these top down sections.
Both SOPHIA and JASON are equipped with a standard gun but can attain firepower upgrades and more primary and secondary weapons to use, as well as permanent health additions.

LOOKS - 8-bit and full of color. Enemies are varied as well as the boss designs. I personally really like the boss designs and find the enemies okay but nothing special. The background and other level visuals I found to be pretty good for building the world, varied and thematic, and if I am thinking right I counted 7 grounds from fore to back where you first get control of the character.

SOUND - I think BMZ particularly shines with it's soundtrack, webm related is a track that I like. While this is a particularly bass heavy track I've noticed that the soundtrack in general uses a lot of bass, at least more than what I expected. The songs typically have a good energy to them with good pacing.

STORY - You follow a frog down a hole and find SOPHIA and everything is fucking mutants and Jason appears to really not like mutants. You find a girl later on and she's pretty cute and reserved.

MISC - really well polished game, and by that I don't just mean visually, the controls are solid, the feeling of exploration is solid, and it has solid pacing. Easily my favorite Inti game after MM9+10. Not really that hard but not so easy that you can get by completely braindead.

CONCLUSION - I liked it enough I made a shill thread for it/10

Only heard of this game because Shantae was playable for free for a limited time if i wasn't for her this game would have been obscure for me.

Well shit

Destroyer mode is a fucking worthless dumpster fire, but I'm glad the other updates were at least decent, I also love it user.

Also the update is for switch only and not 3DS so fuck me

This update is switch only but all the others and the game itself is available on 3ds

Can the nintendo shill just kill himself already?

It's a pretty great game, but weapon energy lock was a huge fucking mistake and makes shit easy mode.

Also paid DLC means that the developers should consider jumping in front of the shinkansen, and ensures that they'll never see a cent from anyone with a brain.

While I'm happy the DLC was free for two weeks when it launched I agree there's no excusing paid DLC

Thanks OP for reminding me I have to beat this game.

smh tbh famicom :3

Lol TL;DR
Here's my superior take:

Fuckoff Mark

Never

I'd rather see a sequel.

Butt ravaged.

This game was a disappointment. It was completely devoid of all challenge, when the original was Nintendo hard.

Wait a minute, that bulge…

Thanks for reminding me this game exists. I didn't get it when it came out because it wasn't on the freeshop, and installing games the other way is a pain for me right now, then I forgot about it.

It's pretty shit, user. Straightout honest:

- Sophia is a walking pill box and Destroyer/Hard Mode does not fix this. Enemies are piss-easy to take down and don't pose any kind of threat, platforming or swarming. Infinite/regen weapon energy means you will win no matter what.
- The controls are stop-on-a-dime tight. Instead of just fixing Wall1/Wall2, they took the "tank" out of controlling your tank so you have to try to lose.
- All of the bosses are fuck-easy and/or are cut scene fodder with no real threat value
- Story is generic anime 70s shit so I can't hate it there. The girl is a waste of meta and can be ignored the entire game—she offers nothing of value and isn't deep enough a personality to care about her
- Soundtrack is fucking awful, full stop. That's not even trying to compare to the original, which it can't.

Don't spend shit on it, don't pirate it. Just play the original.

user, this is not a review exposition. It's just a list of abilities you can perform with the game's avatars.

If you don't 100% the game when clearing it then your peepee will get sad.

I read the book when I was in grade school, so I actually do love this shit.

Why don't you just play the superior original game?

why did you link an archive of the dev post instead of the real thing? not like they generate income from clicks.

Whoa whoa whoa, which thread did that happen in?

Sure thing, hope you enjoy

Would you have preferred I slathered my opinion all over it?

Habit

So… this… is the power… of Nintendo Switch… woahhh….

It's not a switch exclusive

But you wouldn't play inferior version would you?

That's usually the core point of a review.

Oh I thought it was to review the game and it's contents

Explaining the core systems of a game in an unbiased manner not good enough for you, soyboy?