Total War

What is the best pre-warhammer Total War?
never played them before

poop

voting for this too based poop

Rome: Total War's combat feels the best. Cavalry charges have some weight behind them and are satisfying to perform.

If you want gunpowder, take Shogun 2. It has both good melee/ranged balance compared to Napoopan.

If you want grand strategy and diplomacy that actually works, go with Rome 2 or Attila.

Medieval 2 and Rome 1. Rest are trash.

Total War:Poop is the best game in the series

I wish CA didn't suck so much.

Try Shogun or Med 2.

Shogun 2.
Ignore the Rome nostalgiafags.

Rome has the better time period, but Medieval II is the better game.

There's just too little difference between the factions in Medieval II to keep my interest is all fam.

Ah, this is acceptable

Medieval 2. I bought it from a furniture store.

Med 2 has the best gameplay of them all, but is right. The different cultures mostly boil down to religion and infantry/cavalry/archer bias, also the Senate is much more interesting than the Papacy.
Rome 1 lacks some of the features of Med 2, but that doesn't keep it from being as enjoyable.
Med 1 is also worth a campaign or two. There's a lot of features in it that were missing in Med 2 like governorships, assassinating your own units, and requiring you to have ships stationed in seas in a chain in order to trade by sea.

Medieval 1's chessboard map has been the only one where the AI can actually function in a manner to challenge you. That all of your units have leaders that can command the army and grow is also lacking in later entries. Doesn't play nice with Nvidia cards it's so old.

Rome 1 has the best feeling combat.

Medieval 2 has the best mods.

If Rome had the same recruitment system as Medieval II, there'd be no reason to play Medieval II imo. Try playing as Germania and The Holy Roman Empire and you'll see what I mean. Sure it's two different time periods, but it's the same starting position. The only difference is in Medieval II you can build armies quick enough to deal with multiple fronts. In Rome good luck dealing with Gaul and Briton when Dacia and Scythia are coming from the east and Rome from the south.

Shogun 2 and Napoleon, but that's just a personal opinion.

Rome 1, Med 2, Napoleon, Shogun 2, Attila.

Ignore the shitposters.

what are some good mods based on the other games?

Classical age really is cooler than the medieval age.

How about dipshits? Those A-OKay?

Stainless Steel and the third age mods come to mind for M2 mods.

They are both cool but I disagree and think Medieval is the coolest.

How can plate armor not be cool?

Lorica segmentata and horsehair crests are also cool as fuck.

Holy shit. What are the odds?

That's just uncouth, man. Come on. It's like dropping the serving tongs on the floor at a buffet table and picking them up and using them again.

I can't argue that, but muh gothic plate

Which era should another Total War portray? Assuming that they won't fuck it up a la Rome 2 that is.

Come on Brian, I thought you'd notice torposter ids are all 0s. I mean you've done it yourself.

The odds are one to one, shitposter

Why the devs made trolls not weak to spears and pikes? also i got tired of figthing over an over doomstacks on medieval 2, is Warhammer 2 TW better? i havent votered to try it because it kinda feels like a mobile game whit the interface but at least units are not fucking clumsy as they are on medieval 2, still it looks that fortifications are as useless as they were in medieval 2.

kinda have to agree with other user,
full plate is for faggot nobles who scared of val-halla
padded or scaley are the coolest, I guess samurai armor

why, did you come from that or are you just not interested?
I've just started playing the first warhammer this week, after solely playing historical for a while,
and Attila to Wawa put together is quite an interesting comparison, there were indeed some things that I liked
but overall it feels like Wawa flavors above all else FUN, everything is sort of pretty and all units cool in some way,lot more lore flavor (of the warhammer kind of course),
and one cool thing is that they really don't the universe all that serious, everything can be exaggerated and comical in a sense,
meanwhile the last historical title, is quite the opposite, everything is grim, and every decision can actually matter,
you probably won't be able to build everything you want in a province, you need to balance it carefully, manage your economy and order, and even juggle enemies and allies
so while Wawa and its damage sponge creatures and heroes is clearly unbalanced, it can be FUN, while Titila is more of the no fun allowed kind of game

blogpost ends

anyway, I still haven't played Rome2 and Empire, any reason to play those if you already played everything else?

I dont think my PC can deal with the warhammers

its surprisingly lighter than Attila, well I don't know if lighter really, but its certainly faster

I want to get it but I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around high fantasy anything

I'd just cringe the whole time, /his/ has ruined me

Except its janky as fuck and if your cav has a small rock in the way then the whole charge gets fucked up. Bugged pos.

Shogun (the original)
It plays more like a Risk-style board game and doesn't look ugly as balls, which is something the rest of the games really struggle with

Total war clumsy as always

If they'd went as far back as like 4000BC, then what countries there would be?
Sumerians, Hittites, Egyptians are a no brainer but what else?

ikr? and great pic btw
have you played attila at least?
hint: one of the most satisfying strategies is positioning your javelin on enemy flanks right after they engage and giving the order to fire
they literally obliterate anyone like that, with minimal friendly fire, and its actually worth holding their ammo since they fire so fast

TW games are more focused on time periods, and usually very weak campaign that only exists to give purpose to the fights
they only really started giving more complex campaign since rome 2

on another topic, Oriental Empires is a game to note
its a kind of mix TW+Civ, with classic 4x elements and more open world, but more detailed armies and battles
its pretty interesting but it deserves more attention, specially figuring out its nuances are hard

I get the appeal of Medieval 2 but Rome 1 is better.

The main map and battles compliment eachother perfectly in Rome. I personally just like Rome's fast paced combat but that's not what makes it better overall for me.