Dark SOULS help

This is a blog post, so sorry in advance. Firstly, I am NOT complaining about the difficulty of this game! i like the difficulty, but it is a grind, and I'm having some trouble because I can't play the game how it was intended since i can't download the patches. I chose cleric and spent a lot of my early souls on the "Force" miracle, which is retarded and i basically don't use it (i'm playing it blind). Problem is that I don't have any range capability so when fighting the first main boss, bell gargoyle was a big pain for me, and took me a while to figure out it was weak to fire. After spending a bunch of money on firebombs, i beat the gargoyle and it gave me fucking 1500 souls. I looked online and apparently now the reward is TEN THOUSAND. wtf?

I feel like i'm drowning here the game is such a slog and I'm not paying for an xbox live subscription just to fucking play one game how it was intended. Fast forward to me fighting the moonlight butterfly. Everyone says it is easy online, which may be the case, but maybe I'm underleveled due to my rewards sucking? i EVENTUALLY beat it thinking maybe I will get a big reward, but nope, my reward is barely enough to cover the cost of the bolts i bought. Does anyone have any tips for playing this game unpatched or am I just stuck grinding. It's a shame because I'm having a lot of fun with the game. It would be way easier with online and summoning helpers etc, but I can't do that. All the play thoughs i see online people have 10 estus uses, which would made Moonlight butterfly easier than bell gargoyle but I don't have any humanity and can't kindle my fires.

Tldr kys fam

thanks, bro

come on, someones GOTTA have an opinion, it was a popular game.

is the force miracle have a use or worth using at all? it seems to do more harm than got when i try it

There are AI summons you can use to beat most bosses, though they have some requirements. Solaire is summonable to help with the Bell Gargoyles. Did you find him and summon him?
There's another summon where you have to be in human form so you can be invaded. When you're invaded by this AI, once you defeat them you can summon them for the boss of that area. So make sure you're human if you're looking for some summons.
I never bothered with cleric spells in DS1, so I can't talk about that. Maybe just reroll as Pyromancer because that is the best starting class.
And yes, Moonlight Butterfly is piss easy. Dodge and roll and wait for it to land and hit it hard and fast. You don't need projectiles at all.

1) Get a chaos weapon from Vamos
2) Get the ninjaflip ring
3) Get any of the family masks
4) Learn Strong Magic Shield
5) Abuse the fuck out of the crystal ring shield

don't give up, you'll be able to beat the game on SL1 eventually, like most of us here
the equipment you find is more important than souls

Wait hold the fuck up. You need to pay to have your game patched on Xbox?

I don't know what any of this is and i'm not just going to look it all up because i'm trying to play 'as blind as i can'.

i don't really understand the summoning mechanic and I like i said, i'm not human and don't have any more humanity (i seriously died shortly after every time i went human, so bad).
I will read about this some more, thanks.

i don't wanna start all over, but at the same time, i have like 15 points in faith, and i can't even use the healing spell during boss fights because the animation takes too long, so that's a huge amount of skill points and souls invested into basically nothing.

go back to fucking reddit

When was Gold membership for game patches a thing? I've not touched my 360 in some months.

Hey i just looked into it and you're right, i guess i'm just retarded

Abandon whatever clusterfuck of a character you currently have to make a melee-focused character. Ignore magic completely and never put points into anything but STR, DEX, END and VIT. Use your starting gear to get through upper undead burg (buy the residence key from the merchant and get the gold pine resin from the chest) and then once you get to the bridge, make the hellkite dragon hop down onto the bridge so you can run past it and get the items - specifically the claymore, which is probably the best PvE weapon in the game. After you make it to Andre, level up the claymore as much as you can. If you grind souls on the bridge for a bit, you'll be able to get it up to +4 with no problem even if you don't have any titanite and between that and the gold pine resin the gargoyles should die in half a dozen 2H hits each, if that. After them, you should go back to the Undead Asylum and clean it out - specifically the Rusted Iron Ring and Peculiar Doll. You may also want to visit the basement of the tower to kill Havel for his ring. After that, head down to the lower undead burg and depths.

As for general tips, the single most important thing to remember is dodging > blocking >>>>>>> tanking and a faster roll speed is always better. It's a lot easier to survive a fight in DaS by fastrolling with no armor than it is to survive by fatrolling or midrolling with a full set. You can also always go back to areas later - if you're exploring and a black knight kicks your ass a few times, just ignore him and go somewhere else. Your weapon is also more important than your stats and you can make any weapon work for you so just pick whichever has your favorite moveset and upgrade it as much as possible.

ive only put points into strength, endurance, one or two in vitality and a couple in resistance. i'm not putting anything into dex because i'm using a mace. as a cleric is this wrong? all the points in faith i have are what i started out with.

Boy you're really lost

For your first character you shouldn't do magic at all. You need to git gud at combat before throwing magic in there. Make a new character, pick the Warrior class and then do what I said. Using STR as your primary combat stat is probably easier so focus on leveling that as well as VIT and END but you shouldn't ignore DEX (until it hits 20 or so) because it's tied to weapon requirements. You should try out as many different weapon types as possible, as well, so you can find out what you like; if you pick up a weapon and it seems interesting, use it to see if you like the moveset. If you do, either upgrade it or make a mental note to use it on your next run. And speaking of upgrades, don't bother with anything besides the normal path on your first playthrough. Pay particular attention to black knight weapons if you're lucky enough to get one because they're all excellent - especially the halberd which is hands-down the best weapon in the game.

Oh, and points in resistance are ALWAYS WASTED. Never, ever, on any character, put any points into resistance.

why the fuck are you giving serious replys to this clear redditor? what the fuck has happen to this website. Please get the fuck out. Go back.

Welcome to nu/v/, prepare to get downvoted and generic MUH SEKRIT CLUB replies

hmm it seems you haven't read what i typed. I haven't put any points into intelligence as i'm not using magic and never said i am using magic. So i can't go and create a new character and do everything over again in order to not use magic, because i haven't used magic yet and probably won't with this character. I'm using a mace, so why will i be putting points into dexterity again? maces don't require dexterity so if there's some other reason I need to, I'm all ears.

i been on 8ch since first exodus, i just haven't played xbox in probably 2-3 years

I don't believe that because you obviously don't belong.

Why did you solicit advice if you're not going to take it?

hey are there any general tips to this game? I picked a cleric and will be using a weapon that doesn't require dexterity"

Hm your advice doesn't seem to apply to me, it's like you're talking to someone you invented in your own imagination

2011 called and they want you back, OP.
Seriously, it's like I've gone back in time.

Kill yourself back to whatever shithole hugbox you came here from.

At least he didn't ask for cheat codes because he was stuck on the Taurus Demon.

you advised me to pick a weapon with a moveset that i like, and that's what i did. i like the way the mace feels and will be using it. is there any reason a mace wielding character needs more points in dexterity? it's a very simple question, there's no need to be petty

O&S were a cakewalk and enjoyable on every playthrough except the very first.
Capra gives me nightmares to this day.
I should replay it one of these days.

You're very clearly using "wrong" words in a sekrit club circlejerk. Holla Forums has gotten terrible about that, especially recently, but keep posting because we need more users that actually try and have discussions. I haven't played DkS in a long while, and I've never really situated myself with a mace-using character in the game, and I don't really know what dexterity is gonna help with. I recall dex giving you some bonuses for other kinds of shit or whatever or giving you some extra damage depending on what the damage scaling of the weapon you're using is, but otherwise I don't know beyond that.

Dark Souls came out during a drought of good mainstream games, therefore it felt like a breath of fresh air to many. It was essentially the same as Demon Souls but more polished and with the benefit of being multiplatform, therefore the word got out and it was more accessible. You also have to understand that it became popular with reddit 'cake iz a lie xd' types who propagated the game as some sort of hardcore near impossible experience. If you look past the legend surrounding it, Dark Souls is a surprisingly mediocre and repetitive title made on a budget.

I'm actually at the bonfire with Solaire right before O&S. I got to the fight and had a bit of trouble at first because they were very overwhelming, but that's pretty much every fight in Dark Souls the first time you do it. I haven't beaten the game yet but I plan on doing it eventually, as it's been really fun so far. I'm just working on figuring things out and getting ahead to O&S well enough; I think my stats are good so really it's just up to me becoming good enough as a player. I'm certainly a bit better now that I've given it some time and I've gotten more skilled at vidya over the course of time, so I think I'd be better off now if I were to return to it.

The fucking Silver Knight archers are probably responsible for more broken controllers than O&S are.

it doesn't bother me, like i said, i have been on 8ch since 4chan was banning gamer goober threads, but i rarely post on Holla Forums and haven't played a console game in years. i know what insecure fags people can be on here.

points invested in resistance being wasted is good advice and duly noted, but other than that his sage wisdom was to start completely over so i can 'get good at combat' lol. i just got into the 'depths' under lower undead burg, i'm not fucking starting over lol

You mean those fucking fucks outside of the building? Getting past those guys was pretty batshit the first time I did it, but I managed and got to a bonfire after some trial and error. The ones inside on the way to O&S can be annoying, but really if you know how to handle shit they aren't that much of a problem.

Some weapons are dex-based, others are dependant on strength.

Weapon upgrades are a lot more important than stats, I'd say.
Just learn how to fast roll.

Someone post that nightmare gif.
You know the one.

Starting a new character on a separate save as a chance to get used to the gameplay might not be a terrible idea, but you can certainly go back to some areas and practice there if you really wish as well.

Yeah I knew about this. They got different ratings and that's how your damage scales with your stats; I just wasn't sure if there was anything else. Thanks for clearing up.
Yeah, I remember those being damn good. Those are certainly a key point user should focus on if he wishes to deal more damage. Fastrolling is good, too; I believe it's when you have a low equip load and are able to roll faster because of it, correct?

Dark Souls is a genuinely excellent game; it just obtained a largely undeserved mythical status for the reasons you mentioned.

I've found that the most important part of any boss fight is to not get greedy, especially if you're using two-handing a heavier weapon. Take what you can get and then get clear.

i feel that people who actually like gaming latched onto it because it didn't hold your hand and was difficult, since most games nowadays are so dumbed down and there's no consequence for dying etc.

You see the same thing happening with cuphead now. it's a good game, nothing earth shattering though. but people are starved for something that doesn't treat you like a child.

That's right.
Havel's ring and boosting stamina help as well.

Use whatever you like and then search for the build for it on google. Dark souls 1 is more fun offline anyways since pvp is shit and coop makes it too easy and it's shit aswell.

Pretty shit to be honest. After the novelty of the great atmosphere wears off you are left with a painfully repetitive game. Dropped it before finishing the 3 kings. Why do you have to walk 3 gorrilion kilometers through easy enemies between respawn and the boss fight. There is no git gud here, its like a retardedly long loading screen but instead you have to walk.

lol

Isn't the PC port a fucking horrible unoptimized mess that not even fan patches and tweaks can save (like the physics being broken at 60fps) and shit? There really isn't much of a difference.

1. To get more souls, you can acquire the Silver Serpent Ring, which is located in the Tomb of Giants. Starting from Firelink Shrine, head into the graveyard and down into the Catacombs. Make your way past Pinwheel, and you'll find that the Tomb of Giants is pitch black. You will need a light source, either from a spell, the Sunlight Maggot headpiece, or a Skull Lantern. When you get past the first bonfire, continue hugging the wall to the right. You come past the giant skull demons and you'll likely get attacked by a Black Knight. avoid all that shit, you'll find a ledge that seemingly drops into the abyss, but there is in fact a lower ledge that you can drop down to in order to pick up the ring. This ring merely grants a higher percentage of souls.

2. At the beginning of the game, you encounter a red drake who chars your bitch ass into oblivion. Well, you can abuse his AI to make him blow fire which will kill everything on the bridge. If you use the Silver Serpent Ring, you can acquire a large sum of souls just by abusing the drake's attack patterns. Equip ring, aggro the drake, he scorches the bridge, you go back down to the bonfire that is directly beneath the bridge, repeat.

3. In order to get more Estus charges, you'll need to kindle your bonfire. You do this by consuming some (at least three) Humanity from your inventory, then sitting at the bonfire, then choosing the "reverse Hollowing" option from the menu. This will consume a humanity from your Humanity counter that is located in the top left corner of the screen and revert you to your human form. Once you're human again, select the "Kindle bonfire" option from the menu. This will consume a Humanity from your counter and make the current bonfire burn brighter, which will extend your total number of Estus by 5. You can hold a maximum of 20 Estus, but you need to defeat Pinwheel and acquire the Rite of Kindling in order to kindle beyond the initial limit.

I need help with my dubs

Alright Mr. Oldfag, lurk 10 years longer.
I would have thought the google filter would have kept people like you out to be honest.
I'm honestly surprised, you're too dumb to figure out simple shit like how to connect your xbox to the internet and update to the latest version, thinking a version update is behind a paywall or how to tell that when people are talking about magic they mean cleric spells in addition to magic.
You're dying often in dark souls, the game of super highly telegraphed attacks where the only way to die in PvE is through your own stupidity and inability to adapt to a situation, you're talking about how you've watched playthroughs and crying about your lack of estus but then refuse to look up items that anons are telling you to get because they're sympathetic to your dribbling tripe somehow and then you'll cry about how anons tell you, you've fucked up and should start from scratch, yet instead you cling to the meagre scrabbling of progress you've made through the game as if they actually have any significance.
Too fucking right you're not human, you lack the basic sentience to be human, you drooling retard.
How did you make it to 8ch?

This might be the dumbest poster i have ever seen. Its like sub DSP level intelligence.
Maybe he should have put more points into INT.

8ch is basically reddit at this point, what did you expect?

Calling faggots like OP out and making it clear they either shape up or they're not welcome is more constructive than letting retardation take over.

8/v/ is for complaining about games, e-celebs, liberals, brown people, and the gays. Your kind isn't allowed here, cuck faggot shit-eater autist etc.
Also your OP is a shitty blog post that is painful to read.

(you)

did you watch his playthrough? it's hilarious. He cheats by using the drake sword but still doesn't know how to lock on to enemies by part 30 something and doesn't run until ten videos after that. i should be ravaged pretty hard for not updating, sure, but nothing will ever top the dsp dark souls videos

OP is either retarded or pretending to be, either way he deserves no pity or help from anyone.

OP wasn't the worst part of the thread, it's so obvious that he doesn't fit in that's it's basically harmless but then you look at gigantic faggots like who are the actual cancer on the board and other morons who cannot stop themselves from replying seriously to someone who doesn't deserve a reply.

I don't think you're a redditor, they probably aren't as retarded as you are, you're probably one of those nu/pol/ niggers. You don't go on Holla Forums that much? You think this is fucking Gamefaqs you triple nigger? Well you're fucking wrong. Kill yourself.

do you feel better, user? remember to sage to show your displeasure :^)

you dont

capra is BY FAR the hardest part of dark souls that isnt obviously half finished, and even the bed of chaos is easier if you cheese it

physics do fuck up a little at higher FPS even with fan patches, but the console is also stuck at 30

He is baiting dude, just stop giving him (you), normalfags no longer says shit like "i'm not fucking starting over lol", This is like someone pretending to be a retarded normalfag from 2009-2012

i realize that most of you just want to be cynical and your aspergers makes it hard to recognize when people actually want to discuss something. sorry this wasn't as stimulating as the 'what are you eating while you play a game' threads

wait people are actually trying to have a discussion in this shitheap of a thread?

I never got the "Dark Souls is brutally difficult" meme. The game clearly and often slowly telegraphs ever single attack and the one's you can't parry you can easily dodge. You can even beat the game naked without even leveling up.

I'd rather know what someone was eating while they played a game tbh

You are playing darksouls, a game that can be easily beaten with any weapon, no gear and never grinding because how hard is to get hit in PVE if you use the fastroll iframes to dodge the telegraphed attacks. Its a game where as long you put enough hours to get comfortable around the combat the game become progressively easier outside of few encounters, to be honest it shoudnt take you more than a few encounters with any boss or monster to memorize their patterns and the fact that you are struggling so much to the point of watching playtroughts makes me question whatever you are human.

That's what it has come down to in every shit thread under the disguise of "it's just vidyadiscussion guys, you are the ones who do not belong you toxic shitposters".

you want some real advice OP
dont wear armor
hit the roll button
you dont need to fight everything, you can run/roll past
dont be afraid to explore other directions if you are stuck, you might find some nice gear or something

thats how I beat it when I played blind

inb4 OP was posting b8 from the very beginning

Only play through I watched was DSP to see how bad it was and I only watched areas I had already been through

Well, unlike OP, i still can't beat gargoyles without cheats. I am not proud by myself, but so is the cruel reality of having a non-ironic brain damage. You can stop bullying him, not everyone is built for those kinds of games.

are you okay user? I could help you out if you want to summon me

Even if you can't beat them you can summon two people that will come and fight for you and it will be over in 20 seconds. You just sit back and watch

Ty for the advice, I am exploring the depths ATM after beating Capra demon, but I fell down some random hole I didn't see in these narrow corridors and fell a good ways into these new enemies and now I'm cursed :/

look for a dude sitting around near a big door, he sells a key
the depths are a slog, pun intended

Even if that's the case it has the merits of exposing the faggots who would welcome cancer with open arms.