Friends/Communities in video games

Holla Forums how do you make acquaintances to play games with these days? Everyone seems like a antisocial twat or belong to a group in something like discord. I've tried some communities and groups, but everytime they derail into circlejerking about anything but games. I understand that sometimes you need to go off topic to keep things fresh, but when it happens constantly it raises eyebrows. Why is it so hard to find someone to play games with on a (ir)regular basis?
And don't suggest Holla Forums. You either get people who don't respond or cling to you for life if you give them an ounce of attention.

You get over whatever social anxiety you have and talk to people irl.
I’m lucky that I still have friends from high school that were cool enough to include me in their groups.

I'm anti-social and this has never been an issue. Even in shit games with awful communities I can make friends with a good group. It's losing contact with them after quitting the game I hate.
Somehow Holla Forums ended up making the best guild I played in for a certain game.

You get what is called "hobby friends", people you only meet to do one activity and only that.

Getting too involved in everyone else's life is a problem of nowadays voyeuristic social behaviors. I like best when i don't know what someone just ate for breakfast and what he thinks about the latest media scandal, then if he decides to talk about it, we'll have a small chat or just laugh at each other and go home and be total strangers again, maybe i'll nod at him on the street but that's all.

Try to find the people who appeal to you, and if you really feel like it try to hop around groups until you find the correct group.

no way fagu

That's what I want really. But most of the time people seem to want to go into personal matters and talk about their life, which I don't really care about. I don't mind entertaining their request once in a while, but it gets tiring when they do it constantly. I just want someone to play video games without the emotional baggage.

Tried that. There were a couple of groups I had fun with but we lost contact or the group broke down. It just seems recently there's a surge of groups that like to talk online about inane shit while using video games as a cover up. I feel like a sociopath the way I've dropped some communities because of their behavior.

Everyone expects you to be the leader and take the initiative. That means you have to choose the game, you have to approach them and ask them to choose a place and/or time, you have to make an effort to engage them and keep them entertained with dialogue, and in some cases you have to foot the bill/teach new players how to play/keep the peace/or otherwise play babysitter. Yeah, even when talking about adults. You want friends? Go be a normalfag, because anyone over a certain age who has a social circle, a job, and other obligations does not take video games seriously, and they're merely used as a temporary distraction or a backdrop to facilitate "real world" connections or discussion about "real world" topics.

In short, you have three options; 1) Learn to love the solitude, 2) become a normalfag, get normalfag friends, and cut a great deal of vidya out of your life in favor of connecting with people, or 3) choose a multiplayer game that you love, buy a server so you are admin, and go to various places to advertise your server. Start a "clan" and organize matches with other groups. Make videos that center around match highlights and spout commentary over them. Basically, make yourself an e-celeb and be the cohesive glue that keeps your band of retards together.

Just get in contact with and play with some old friends. You have those, don'tcha OP?

The more time I spend with people, the more I get to know them, the more I dislike them.
This goes for both online and irl.

>>>/reddit/

why not try those weekly game nights mark keeps organizing to meet people?

Every time

What're you, some kind of anti-semite?

Friends are nothing but emotional baggage, you unwillingness to help them carry it makes you a shit tier friend.

Life isn't all about good times.

Yes

that picture is shopped to all hell. There were no video game consoles or game controllers when Hitler was alive

Yes there was, the Nazis invented video games, (((they))) tried to cover it up

>implying that's true and not a psi ops campaign by (((them))) to steal Nazi technological advances in home gaming entertainment.

Mark doesn't organise them, /radcorp/ does. Mark sucks shit whenever he shows up to them because he's a nintoddler Jew who can only play his BING BING WAHOO toddler and weebshit.

Friends come at a price else they don't make very good friends (fair weather, lose contact when game dies, etc). If you're apathetic to their needs, they'll be apathetic to you too you too. Me and my best buddies have been friends since WC3 RoC, we share our good times and our woes, play vidya together when we can and talk about all sorts of topics while doing it. It's a package deal, since most people are more than just the games they play. What you're looking for is gaming acquaintances, like guildmates you aren't particularly close with.

I'll be ur friend, OP

Fucking nerd

Don't expect any advice. Holla Forums is filled with normalfags who pretend that they have no friends, but in reality have niche groups that they hang out with.

To be honest, I have no fucking idea how to make acquaintances (not even talking about friends) anymore. As a kid I found all my friends through mutual interests and activities (e.g. Team Fortress 2) and all these people stayed loyal to me to this day. But nowadays I simply have no clues where to look for new people, especially the ones who will share at least a portion on my views (e.g. don't enjoy garbage like Overwatch).

Get a load of this pozzed faggot. Operation Paperclip was instigated with the cover of boosting our rocketry and space program but it was really because Truman just wanted to play video games.

I prefer to play single player.
90% of people aren't even playing it for the fun of it but for posturing or whatever else their normalfag mind comes up with.

We get together for a lan party once in a while. The most annoying thing is how the modern numales treat vidya as a competition for the single female that actually cares to show up at lan parties.
While of course being absolutely shit at everything.
normalfags are a cancer upon this Earth.

For what purpose? It's just going to slow you down and you'll inevitably stop talking to them because that's just how internet friendships work. Nobody actually cares enough to maintain it.

I have zero friends on any of my gaming accounts. Anything I need to accomplish can be done solo and people just require too much attention. I'd do anything for a gf to play games with, though. That's different.

I don't.

You're not alone. I've found that the gaming community has really lost any people I could befriend. The only people that seem to be around to interact with are normalfags who use emoticons, ultra-competitive fucks, FUCKING FOREIGNERS or actual children. It's really bummed me out. I'd blame normalfags, personally. It's usually their fault.

Yeah, I blame the normals too. But sometimes I feel like I'm partially to blame as well. After all, the whole "imageboard mentality" can show itself up at the wrong moments, which occasionally made me look like just an angry asshole.

Found some good friends via Planetside 2… But its good days are over so time to look somewhere else.
Don't even know what kind of games you are into. Met some people in the milsim area as well. Spamming voicechat is also a way to find friends… Although you will find shitty ones.

Although I would online friends online friends and not actual friends. But friends none the less. Just keep in mind that this emotional baggage comes included, only if you are lucky it gets left out.

Anyway, how do I find friends IRL?

Play game -> Add people from game -> Talk to them

The last part is the hardest

compliment them in some way. S'how I made a lot of friends back in the day on Runescape, and it still works in pretty much any game.
Or just talk with people like they're your friends and they quickly come around to it. Just treat things casually, in a chill way and you'll be fine.

No friends, only the solo experience.

I choose not to make friends, for the true S.T.A.L.K.E.R. experience

What happened to steam friend threads? It was nice just adding random people, making new friends, spending an hour agonizing on what we can play together, then never speaking ever again.

Uhh

I met some people when I went to my college's gaming club. Most of them are pretty chill and not obnoxious outside a few people and that only happens when a debate over something stupid happens.Naturally most of us dropped out besides that I got one person into 40k, a good chunk of them into fighting games and all of them to drop ASSFAGGOTS. Honestly being social irl is easy for me, over the internet is another story.

The internet was a mistake.

How the fuck are you supposed to do that? Looking back, the only friends I ever made were either met through pure chance or introduced to me by another friend.

Just like, talk to people. :^)
No, seriously. If they are cool then just a simple "Hi" is enough. Not that most people here could do this without being a sperg. Hell, that advice got me free sweet potatoes every year thanks to a local farmer I struck a conversation with.

I'm fucking embarassed over having been a regular there and I'm glad they got shoah'd
On the other hand, I've made one friend there who I still talk to almost daily, and we share many joys and sometimes issues together. That's at least something good that came out of it

Honestly, I don't. I mostly stick to single-player games, because I am a functional adult who has to fit gaming in between multiple conflicting schedules. I don't have time to be waiting around for a bunch of faggots to get their shit together so we can run. Speaking of which, most people online you run into in random games are faggots who just circlejerk and spam memes ad nauseam. There's a reason why they are in random groups, because they're largely incompetents and annoying shitheels that nobody wants to spend any extended time with. Also, microtransactions/lootboxes leverage social interactions to pressure to get you buy their garbage, so you avoid the bulk of it if you stay offline. The only thing you run into a lot of in single-player games, is usually dress-up items in waifubait games, but they sell specific items to you directly so they're easier to ignore.

If you absolutely have to play online, play on private servers for older games. You'll still run into the circlejerking meme spergs, but the ratio of quality players to human garbage is slightly higher - if only because you have to be a like-minded kind of autist to still stick with a game older than 3~5 years, let alone 20 year old titles.

I have a diminishing pool of old friends and family who I run with if I do go online. Everybody else can get fucked. If I jump into a random game and everyone in my group is sequestered away in their own little private chats - I consider that a blessing.

Sad thing is that the MMO itself isn't that bad but fuck me if I'm going to try to wrangle 3-7 other faggots that won't ruin hours of work or make me regret playing with them.
It went bad when the new generation finally got into online games. I miss it when bullies would shit on the average gamur.

Tell me how to not be anti social

I already did. Just like, talk to person.

Normalfag

Multiplayer gaming spaces belong to reddit now. Either accept their cancerous presence and tolerate them or just play single player games.

I've tried to reach out a few times, but then I just end up stopping when they don't try to reach out. Online-only friends I usually end up dropping myself and then feeling bad about it later because I end up being too busy to talk. Meanwhile I can come here anytime, make a single post, maybe follow it up a day or so later, without any pressure to respond right away or worry about if it's been too long to reply (I can always sage and if nobody read the post I can bump if it's actually important or just not care if it really wasn't important). A group chat would be better, but everyone I know uses Skype and I don't like the normalfag interface, let alone the botnet.

Funnily enough, every friend I've ever made came from me doing something I personally consider retarded. I think normal people do retarded things, and they like it when other people do retarded things too. The secret is to be retarded. I'm not sure it's worth it, so I don't know if I can make new friends now even if I felt it was a pressing matter. Of course, I would need to target people that aren't socially awkward, so that they don't always need to be talked to first to start a conversation with them. Makes me feel like I'm not liked even though I know how they are irl. They're just too scared to talk unless spoken to. I can relate too because I used to be that way myself and still struggle with it sometimes. Sage for semi blogposting.

pretty sure its from that guess whos back show

Also, the only guy I decided to add from my uni on a smurf was a half nip with a black gf and I accidentally said "shit I'm a nigger" after doing a clutch(vs 4) and dying 1 sec before I was able to defuse the bomb. The only reason I said that is because I could have done it if I killed the third guy a little bit faster. It was our first game together and also the last. We both pretend it did not happen to this day.

I only play single player, go fuck yourself nomalfag.

that's not a friend
that's using someone to amuse yourself.
It's ok to frown upon normalfags and be wary of socializing because most kosher kiddies are retarded, but that doesn't mean you should dismiss camaraderie and friendship with people worth of your time and company.

It became a circlejerk like 4am.
Instead of Spider Autist, it was that Ritsu fag making the thread all about him.

I simply don't. In this world now with all this shit(everything you mentioned) it's alot harder to make communities in games. I rely on my real world friends to form my gaming circle, but back in the early days of PSN, and Xbox live I formed communities all the time. I would always have crews in these games that I enjoyed online for PSN and Xbox live
Socom 2
Halo
Gears of War

That's just console shit and admittedly it wasn't the best but back then it was alot easier to just game with people and people were also alot less sensitive towards extreme shit talk(which actually made the environment funnier and more tongue in cheek also there were no girls ever girls always ruin the social dynamic in videogames). I just remember back then hearing constant rage/abuse/etc. and hurling it back and it was always fun. I know most people on this board probably hate the game but I loved doing it especially in gears of war because the way the original game was structured you are on a team and between rounds you got like 10 seconds just to trash talk the other team or just make callouts to specific players and either do battle with them or cheese them into an ambush shit was hilarious. Gears of War 1 had a good social element to it that it's successors lack due to matchmaking systems. It was more fun to just have your entire crew just join a pub and fuck up everyone all day until another crew would eventually show up and fight. Public servers were actually the patricians choice because it was the best way to arrange actual crew battles.

you dislike people because you see bad qualities that remind you of yourself. you actually hate yourself, but we already know that

seconded, love how Holla Forums is just Holla Forumswith games now Holla Forums is the same way now, too.

o/o/o/o/o/o/o/o/o/o/

I can't make friends because most people are either

Or all of the above.

I just can't talk to libtards, they disgust me. Wish there were more conservatives, Christians and bible-believers I could play with, but that's as hard as finding a virgin modest wife alá 1950's who cooks and loves you in 2017.

my cousin gave me that same advice when I was 7, I did it to an old guy and he gifted me underwear for 8 years

benis