Sonic 3D Director's Cut Released!

It's a romhack made by one of the original devs and adds a lot of stuff that really improves Sonic 3D.

Features:

dropbox.com/s/h0iowvqmyybu08c/SonicDX.xdelta?dl=0
romhacking.net/utilities/704/

Here's his YouTube channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCfVFSjHQ57zyxajhhRc7i0g

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/download/GENESISAndMEGADRIVE
sonichacking.org/entry/17
twitter.com/blackbookalpha/status/901971073096335360
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Which version is this based on? PC?

US Genesis

N E A T
E
A
T

Now you have caught my interest.

Neat, I actually like the original game (both Genesis and Saturn), I'll have to give it a shoot soon.

needs to be forward ported to the saturn version

More specifically, Jon Burton, the game's programmer and co-founder of Traveller's Tales.
Only makes sense that he'd still have the source code after all these years.

Your dubs speak the truth.

That's actually really cool. I've been watching his programming videos, and some of the shit they pulled off to make 3D Blast happen are very clever.

Ok,whatever you say

Advance 3 might be a bit bad.

Still a better sonic than sonic forces. Too bad i am not actually interested in all those features. 3d blast is not something i would replay anyway.

They are fucking awful

Does it have music from the Genesis version or the Saturn version?

I cant find a version of Sonic 3D blast with the correct checksum.

archive.org/download/GENESISAndMEGADRIVE

thanks but I found one two seconds after I posted

Here's the patched ROM (if 8ch still hasn't fixed embedding archives in images).

Even if you hate the later ones, there's nothing wrong with Sonic Advance 1. It's just more classic sonic.

it werks, now i just have to set up retroarch, i think that's what the kids use to set up a mega drive emualtor

Thanks user

Reminder that dimps babies aren't even people.

Advance 1 is practically the actual Sonic 4. I can see not liking 2 and 3, but the first one? Come on.

None of the 3D or Advance games are good.

Not to mention that Advance was the first 2D game to make Amy playable in an interesting and unique way.

Don't you have a review to make?

We truly live in the future. I'd like to point out that this is the BETA patch, so it's not the final release. he's still tweaking it.

Yeah okay I'm down with it.

sonic adventure is shit, I could write an entire blog as to why everything about the games are wrong. what sanic needs is a Physics New Engine. Imagine a collection with the Sonic Utopia Engine or the Sonic Islands Engine. Now that would be a good 3D sonic game. Hell even Lost Worlds™ could be good if they removed the run button, added more momentum based physics and improved the level design.

Collectathon*

How the shit did you get the section at 1:06 to work? Every single time I've tried to do that, Sonic tweeked the fuck out and fell. That game is janky as all hell, goddamn.

You realise user said Sonic Advance, not Sonic Adventure?

Sonic didn't have nearly as much autoplatforming/mindless busy work as the entire first area of Sonic Advance.
In Sonic Advance 1 there isn't even a proper platforming segment until act 2 of the second area.
Not to mention the entire tedious bullshit of going through the game 5 times to get the best ending.

Advance 1 is fine.
Advance 2 suffers some of the worst stage design I've ever played in exchange for a decent soundtrack. Rename every fucking stage "Bottomless Pits Zone" and as soon as you think about gaining some momentum, SURPRISE IT'S A FUCKING (Enemy, Spike placement, lel random xd spring that shoots you back.)
Advance 3 I'll never touch again.

If by fine you mean a massive step down from the original series then sure.

Like all of them?

nice meme

Have you even played Sonic 1?

It's no Sonic 3. Doesn't mean it isn't perfectly functional. I'd take it over Sonic 1. Maybe Sonic 2.

Good for your shit taste.
Enjoy rail grinding endlessly in your meaningless boost games with no challenge.

Enjoy shit levels like Mystic Cave Zone.

Even the so called shit levels in Sonic 2 are better than anything offered in Sonic Advance with glorified cutscenes in the name of level design innovations.

I don't think you have played Sonic Advance.

Advance 1 doesn't even have boost or suffer from hold-right level design like Advance 2.
You can't say it's a boost game.

There's the fraudulent statement. End this argument, since you're clearly wrong.

Another false flag. You'll end up dead anywhere beyond Leaf Forest by holding right.

Have you actually played Sonic 1? Have you even tried Marble Zone or Springyard Zone? Sonic 1 had a lot of problems.

Advance 1 has no boost mechanics. Rail grinding is exclusive to Sonic and Amy. The level design is a continuation of the Genesis games. You haven't played the first Advance.

Not true. You can make it to the tech zone without a brain. Just mindlessly holding right and jumping off ramps and rails.
Before tech zone, there's almost no pits, just lower routes to fall to.

Are you faggots serious?
Advance 1 is the first sonic game with the rail grinding meme which is something that is heavily featured in the modern boost shitshows. Its the perfect example glorified cutscenes masquerading as level design. Even loop de loops in Sonic 1 had some purpose.
yeah and the other two characters can fly or climb walls completely invalidating the level design. Was this supposed to be a positive point in favor of this autoplatforming trainwreck?

Have you even tried any of the Sonic games you retard?

Apart from the entire first area and huge sections/entire acts in later areas?

What else should I call those forced handrail sections which do fucking nothing? Or those rail grinding sections which are supposed to be "features" of certain characters? They certainly aren't gameplay.

Any rail grinding section in Sonic Advance, which are completely optional, no matter the character, is about as long a the tube sections in Chemical Plant and shorter than the laser rings in Death Egg, which, by your logic, are glorified cutscenes, as well.
That would be Adventure 2, which was released half a year before Advance.

I guess you hate Hydrocity Zone too?

I won't let you forget.

it's pretty clear that it's 9.87 KB from your post, you faget

I don't understand what you have against rail grinding. It's a very minor part of the game. Did a rail hurt you, user?

Coincidentally so is actual platforming.

Look at this shit
A third of the level dedicated to nothing but pressing right.

In the second image you can cut a fifth of the level and you'd lose nothing except ring count(and playtime because of how boringly padded the game's levels are)

I'm not really seeing your complaint unless you're one of those people who really loves Marble Zone. Advance seems to have about as much platforming as the parts of classic Sonic that people liked.

Not many people can appreciate a slow game where the character is controlled in a incredibly clumsy way while completing repetitive objectives

?
Did I miss something? Is this an actual character or did someone, on here or otherwise, think it was a good idea to create and Eggloli?

Compare the first level from Sonic 1 to this. Don't even bother going to Sonic 2 and 3 because you know you are wrong.
You sonic apologists deserve exactly what you get. Keep wallowing in the mediocrity of shit like Forces trying to damage control for garbage that Sonic Team has been producing since Adventure.

No seeing what's so complex about that level design. In fact, Neo Green Hill Zone seems to have more routes to take.

Nice cherrypicking, fagmotron. I can do the same thing. The first two maps here are Sonic 3, and the latter 2 are Sonic Advance.

And the other two thirds are about as large as GHZ Act 1, so it evens out. And how can you claim Advance is just like the other on-rails boost games, when, by your own admittance, the minimal input sections are a minority of the very levels they appear in?

Sonic Forces is the best sonic game. Finally they understood how to make levels right. Sonic just goes fast, and that's it. Fast. Pure speed. Nothing else dragging you around.

Look at this terrible level. So many sections you just need to hold right to win. There's barely any actual platforming in the first quarter of the level. The Genesis Sonic games would never have a level like this.

Doing that in Sonic 1 is a quick way to get yourself killed. That tends to happen when your game is actually a platformer instead of being focused around a shitty marketing gimmick.
But hey great way to out yourself as someone who hasn't even played the game.

Now do Sonic 1-3.
Also, explain why it is bad for a first level to be easy. Isn't that the point?

There is a huge difference between being easy and being braindead.

When your F2P ad-riddled mobile runner tie-in is more fun than the game it's based on, you know you've fucked up big time.
It even has more variety in playable characters somehow; every ally and boss from Forces (besides the custom avatar, Infinite, and Eggman) is playable.

Mario is shit game for braindead children with autism too, then, by your logic.

Same applies to the later levels of Advance, which you seem reluctant to ever comment on. GHZA1 also allows you to hold right for the majority of it, as you conveniently demonstrate here, , yet I don't see you complaining about that. It's also hilarious that the only time you die in it is due to an infamous bug that was fixed in later games.

In the first 20 seconds of that Mario 1 webm there was more input variety than in my entire run through the first level of Sonic Advance.
You know how I completed that first level in Sonic Advance? I held right and then pressed jump whenever I encountered an obstacle that impeded my progress. Its not just some happy coincidence either. The entire level(and by extension the entire game) is designed like that. See those frogs which jump over you if you just hold right and those wall spikes which are after the unavoidable invincibility.

Theres a reason why Sonic Advance sold less than even the Dreamcast release of Sonic Adventure 2 despite the GBA outselling the dreamcast by a huge margin. Its the same reason why all the Advance games combined don't even reach the number of units sold for Sonic 2. It stopped being a platformer.

If you just hold right and jump whenever, you'll die. I demonstrated that in my webm. In my successful run I actually had to time my jumps to avoid enemies and land on spikes.
The first level in Sonic 1 is easy but its still a platformer.
The first level in Advance is braindead.

Are you for real? The patcher is not working.

Logic doesn't work like that. You can't extend criticism of the first level to magically apply to the entire game. Check out this "hold right to win level" here.

Yeah, it couldn't possibly be that Sonic Adventure 2 was a flagship game for the console's main mascot or anything.

See

Among other things, he needs people to post their best times so he can determine the limits for Time Attack mode.

I kek'd

Just played through the first zone of Sonic 2, using your technique. Other than losing some inconsequential rings on the fish, it's the same shit. Made it through without dying.

Look at this retard in video related bumbling through the level at subpar framerate and frameskip enabled.
Truly the epitome of level design. Have you actually played Advance or are you just defending it because you are nostalgic about it?

You do realize Adventure 2 sold more copies on the Gamecube than the dreamcast right?

Using the hold right to win technique, my first death in Sonic 2 was Zone 2 act 1. In Sonic Advance, 2 act 2.

Presumably Genesis as that's the version its based off

I think you idiots are missing the actual challenge in these sonic games. It's not about your stupid "Hold Right to Win" BS it's about getting the Chaos Emeralds.

Hell, technically you don't "Win" at all unless you get all the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 1, you just get a "Try Again" message.

It should be "Can you get all six Chaos Emeralds and still hold right to win" the "Hold Right to Win" part excluded for Chaos Emerald challenges.

If you can manage to get all 6 for either game and do it just by holding right then theres your "Hold Right to Win" game

It's for the Genie Sister

Which, again, only happened because of the spike bug. Had your invincibility frames correctly worked, you wouldn't have died.

Stop crying about how Sonic Advance sucks. Play Sonic Mania its out now. BEST SONIC GAME OF ALL TIME!!!!

You can't even get 50 rings in Sonic 1 unless you are going for them.
I ended the first level in Sonic Advance with 100+ rings.

I wonder if Sonic Rush is any good.

In that case, Sonic Advance is a harder game than 1 or 2. The entrances to the special zones are hidden, not at random checkpoints, or at the end of the level.

In the first sonic you have 6 zones with 3 acts in each. You failed to get a single chaos emerald in both Sonics.

If you're too impatient then whichever game you get the Chaos Emerald first is your stupid "Hold Right to Win"

Thats not the only case of holding right failing. You will die if you just hold right from the beginning. There is an enemy right in your path with no rings at ground level.

Then why didn't Advance outsell Adventure 2 when the GBA actually had double the install base of the Gamecube?

All the "hidden entrances" are at the top portions of the levels which are trivial to get to by just using Tails and since you need to beat the game with all 4 characters you can just use Tails to collect them all.

You can't play as Tails in Sonic 1 but you can in 2, so you're going to have to stick with Sonic. Unless you use Knuckles since you can technically play as him in Sonic 1 and 2. So your best control overall would to be playing as Knuckles

No it's sub par.

Well fucking everyone had a GBA, including a lot of people who knew nothing about games, and just ended up playing a lot of shovelware, and people who bought it to play Pokemon and Pokemon alone. It was the buy it for your kids to keep them quiet machine, while the Gamecube sold to more dedicated Nintendo fans who tend to love mascot characters and platformers.

He's talking about Sonic Advance you retard. Were you paying attention to the last half of the thread?

Did you miss the part about needing to beat the game with every character to unlock the final stage?
If they didn't want you to use the character who can literally fly in a platforming game maybe they shouldn't have added one in the first place.

the real question is, who is the guy who made sonic utopia and can we bully them into making a finished game?

oops, Sonic Adventure is ok

fix the controls by installing BetterSADX 4.1.3

Advance*

And I'm saying which ever game gets the first chaos emerald you retard.
Were you even paying attention to the challenge I proposed?

thx, user

Now you're moving the goal posts. You'll also die just by holding right and never jumping in Advance. I don't get your vendetta against the game. Yes, it's not as good as the Genesis games, but that doesn't make it a bad game. You act like it's irredeemable garbage, when the major flaw you complain about applies to a minority of the game. You cherry-pick obstacles in Advance that you can easily bypass, while ignoring the Genesis games had similar obstacles. You complain about early levels having long portions you just run straight through, yet ignore that the second-to-last zone in Sonic 1 does the very same thing. You criticize the "glorified cutscenes", when Sonic was doing that as early as the second game. You called it a boost game, when there is no boost mechanic. You claim it started rails, when that was the Adventure games. You act like it started the boost trend in the series, when Adventure already started it down that path with scripted loops, disguised QTEs, and way more linear level design than any Advance game. You try to appeal to popularity by stating it sold worse than the Adventure games, when the Dreamcast Adventure, alone, sold more than Sonic 3 on the Genesis. Are you going to argue Adventure is a better game than 3? Advance is a decent game. It's not fantastic or anything, but it's not the pile of shit you make it out to be.

I literally posted a webm of me going through the level humping every obstacle for a full second.

Sonic Hacking Contest 2017 started tonight.
sonichacking.org/entry/17

I'm gonna play it, 3D Blast was one of my favorite games as a kid. This will surely be a blast from the past.

This dude and his channel are great but there is something about his CAPS filled wall of text video titles that annoys me, the name Gamehut doesn't help. It's a few red arrows in the thumbnail from looking like it will be a clickbait shithole rather than a fantastic source on Genesis development.

The first act of the volcano level can be finished by holding right with the exception one one small moment where you have to press left or let go of right a bit to go into a tunnel

You can make it to Zone 2 doing that same shit in Sonic 2.

Just holding right gets you 20 seconds into Emerald Hill before hitting a item box and 5 seconds into act 2 before being forced to push against for the remaining 9:55.

That's when you jump.

Cum on yourself. Advance 1 had the same shit level design as any other dimps game, 2 and 3 at least sucked in style.

Tails can't fly in Sonic 2 and you can't play as Knuckles in Sonic 1 even with Lock-On. So basically you never played the originals. Dimpsfags, everybody. I bet he's a Hoennbabby, too.

kill yourself retard

and in he hits 2 spikes and an item box in the first 25 seconds

webm related

I forgot the Sonic 1 was a fan rom and that literally no one played tails. My bad for forgetting minor details of games I haven't played in five years.
But you totally win if thats what you're looking for

That's not even a minor detail, you're just retarded.

I honestly am not surprised most people don't know about Sonic 3D blast not only setting up the scripted loops, but it also started the 1 button spin dash [this might have been a thing as early as Sonic Labyrinth though], and the precursor to the homing attack.

Granted you're in a thread about 3d blast and you somehow still don't realize this kind of bothersome.

The only loop in 3D blast was the one at the start of green grove wasn't it?

How have you anons been enjoying.3DBDC? I'm playing it using my PSP comfortably on my bed. The movement feels so much nicer.

Nah there where several. But they where regulated to several scripted sequence openings in levels or bridging between two points in a level. Pretty prevalent in the Rusty Ruins, and Diamond Dust in particular from what I remember. But Gene Gadget and Panic Puppet had a bit of this too when it came to level gimmicks.

Boss fight in Sonic Mania has an upside down Eggman in a spider robot, and the way the sprite has him peeking out the window kind of looked like a little girl instead, and thus Tumblr birthed "Eggette." Those particular comics are by far the worst rendering I have ever seen though, other art I've seen posted looked faaaaaaar better.

That's intentional, check the first pic again. The joke seems to be that something went wrong with her creation.

It fucking is.

Fucking go play it and enjoy experiencing the peak of video game music. Seriously, do it right fucking now.

Why do you have weird ass filenames?!

What do you mean by this? That's a completely accurate file name that makes it easier to find in a folder :^)

I remember something similar happened surrounding "Captain Vidya".

I'd say it depends if the person has liked the other boost Sonic games, because it was the game where Dimps got lazy with the physics as well as the level design turning out to be somewhat like Advance 2 on steroids. Otherwise there's nothing stopping one from just listening to its soundtrack online without playing it.

As for Advance 1 itself, it was admittedly somewhat bland but ultimately the most faithful Sonic game before Sonic Team and Dimps went full retard prior to Mania. There's someone remaking the game and I'd love to see what becomes of it

What a time to be alive.

I hate that we settled of Eggette, rather than Omelette.

smh tbh fam

I remember enjoying this game a lot back then. Coming back to it with all these improvements makes this a really comfy game for some reason.

Looking at that 4th pic looks like it's the easiest level ever due to most the level being drop to win or the most retarded due to wack death pit placement.

This thing keeps showing up whenever I look up sonic related material now and it's getting annoying, like your little brother showing you his superhero character that's just batman but with dogs.

:^)

nig look at the fucking bottom

You have to climb up the whole level within a 5 minute limit and find the right paths to proceed.

That's correct.

Sonic games are so fucking boring. You literally cannot die in them. Anyone playing them after the age of 10 should feel ashamed.

daw

Like Mark? :^)

Why isn't it based on the Saturn/PC version then??????

Probably because the Genesis version came first and that's the code Jon's found at the moment.
So far the only Saturn content he's posted are vids of early builds of Sonic R.

:(

I really do prefer the soundtrack, looks and special stages of the saturn version.

But I'll live

Sonic 3D Blast has some really awesome technical tricks that you can learn about from GameHut on YT (Director of Traveller's Tales at the time, made the DX hack and makes videos showcasing impressive tech used in their classic games. What's sad is that nonetheless, 3D Blast is a fucking snoozefest. There's no actual gameplay. Don't bother.

this is super fucking retarded, like I can see an upside down face but why would your brain see that unprompted because there is no place for their legs to be.

I believe it was probably just a bunch of retarded redditors using their tier of humor to pretend they saw her. I could see Eggman upside down no problem and it's not even like the first time Eggman has driven a vehicle upside down, look at the Advance series.

The ring system is like the health regeneration of it's day, if you think about it.

Not really, you're using buzzwords. It's more like a shield system.

The idea is cool but why are they making a ridiculously easy game even easier?

It all came from a tweet, actually.
twitter.com/blackbookalpha/status/901971073096335360
🤔