ITT - People without Vidya experience

If you found a person or friend, who had no experience with video games beforehand but suddenly wants to start playing them.

What game/s would you recommend and why?

Skirim

Russian Roulette, to save them from the suffering that is this hobby.

Mount&Blade
Relatively simple and easy to learn. What however more important in case they don't want to learn they can still kill bandits for hours. Eventually they should get bored and try new things.

mount & blade is intimidating with all the stats and everything to keep track of, making it alienating. its also very boring and feels very unfun to actually play.

consoles would be a great place to start, something like the super nintendo, sega genesis, ps1, saturn, etc. all have plenty of accessible and great games for someone with no experience.

Super Mario 64
or World if they don't want 3D games

Portal 1

Multiple classics from various genres, this is the only correct answer.

Tetris. You have to ease them in.

If it's a girl or a woman, then probably Kirby. It's colorful, has a nice aesthetic and it's a more casual game, perfect for new comers. You can easily emulate the console games, and I even played and finished the GBA games on a smartphone, running an emulator, with touch controls.

I.. I honestly don't know what to say. I'm not even mad, I'm just baffled. What? Are you a video games journalist, user?

Right now probably Odyssey. There's probably a lot of better games to start with but normalfags usually have a weird aversion to playing older stuff and odyssey is pretty good, easy to pick up, you can put it down whenever, and late game stuff offers some challenge.

Probably a really good answer if they're willing to try older stuff. If they're fine with older games there's a shitload of different options you can explore based on their preferences.

This answer on the other hand is really fucking bad. No understanding of how to get people into hobbies. The game is ugly and intimidating and can get repetitive if you don't branch out on what you're doing (which requires some video game knowledge). M&B would be the perfect game to scare someone off video games forever unless the person had the exact type of autism to immediately realize what's cool about M&B, and that's not exactly a common trait.

Fuck off. You're not really suggesting that mount & blade is an entry level game for normalfags, right? If someone told you he wanted to get into books, would you recommend Anna Karenina for a first read? This analogy obviously has its limits. I'm not really comparing it to m&b. Just saying both are not that accessible.

EA's Battlefront 2.
:^)

the utmost of accessibility right here. Yeah this will surely entice someone of all the fun they can have with video games and not make them feel it's an autistic waste of time.

please, keep your delusional fanboyism to your respective thread, don't bring up irrelevant games in a discussion like this.

The Last of Us

This is comical. Have either of you played anything besides triple-A shooters before? A single strategy game of any type, ever? M&B is absolutely for casuals- which is why I fucking dislike it, because it's practically the embodiment of Reddit. But you know, if there's people like you two walking around who somehow haven't forgotten how to breath yet I probably need to take a reality check.

Wario Land

you really are a special kind of retard, I've never seen someone miss the point of a thread this badly. please just leave, you're embarrassing.

Oh, I get it now. You're just a literal

I introduced my sister to vidya through kirby and now she's super pro fighting game master

Devil May Cry 4

Are you claiming that someone how has never played video games before is going to pick up M&B and immediately grasp the mechanics and interactions between Surgery, Wound Treatment and First Aid? The first time I played I ended up having to restart a few times because I simply didn't understand how many of the skills would end up working, their value in gameplay or that I could manage followers skills to fill in my gaps.

I have learnt so much about vidya in general over the last 30 years I have no idea where to start someone from scratch so they can build the basic skills.
Maybe Mario (NES), Mario Kart (SNES), Blood, Civilization 2, UT2004, Diablo and Sim City just to introduce the basic concepts needed to play more advanced games.

You want something that gets their attention immediately and gives them a lot of agency so they feel like they're doing something by pressing buttons. >>13831449 and all fit this, as would any reasonably fast FPS. If they're at total ground zero there's no use worrying about execution because it's going to be a struggle whatever the case.

Yes, are you joking with me faggot. They are labelled and described, for fucks sake there's paragraphs of in-game text dedicated to explaining how to play the game, plus the tutorial is as hand-holdly as possible. What is complicated about '+25% Hero Health Gain' or '+5% Soldier Chance of Survival'. And people don't immediately grasp every single thing the first time around, if it takes a couple tries so be it- that's how video games work.

And there is your problem, most normalfags and casuals won't want to read all the descriptions and then make mental calculations on what is the best combination. They want something that doesn't require much skill from their part(why I recommended Kirby) or much thinking and reading(so don't recommend them Neverwinter Nights 2 for instance). If it weren't for the outdated graphics I would have recommended Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 as you can immediately jump into a game, the controls are easy to learn and it's a fun/arcadey.
If they want puzzles, then maybe World of Goo, it has a nice aesthetic and the puzzles are nice. If they want something more action oriented, perhaps Dishonored or Wolfenstein The New Order if they just want to shoot nazis.

You missed the point of the thread, mate.
Games with skilltrees and character/unit building aren't newbie friendly games.
The point of the thread isn't to give them good games, but good games that are easy pick up and play without investment.

Okay, let's take a step back. I'm imagining user's friend coming up to him and saying "golly gee user, these video game things sound pretty cool, I'd like to learn! What should I play first?". As practically every other person has said, there are plenty of games that are easily accessible for teaching a brand new person the basics of a video game. I do not believe that a game that has "paragraphs of in-game text dedicated to explaining how to play the game" is the best choice for that. Maybe at the end of user's Vidya 101 you can hand them that to encourage them to seek out more complex titles, but as an opener you're just going to lose them.

Man you're dumb as all hell. Take a step back and look at the shit you're saying. This is a thread about games that are high quality and accessible enough to try to get people with 0 experience to start enjoying video games and possibly stick with them. M&B is neither. It's an indie game that's ugly and extremely rough and requires some modding to get better quality out of it, and it requires a lot of fiddling with numbers to really get enjoyment out of it and understand what's going on. Someone who's never played a game would do the fighting turorials then get completely lost. They wouldn't know how to equip themselves properly, how to handle their armies, they would most likely walk around the world map and die to bandits with little to no understanding of what's going on. Games with skills and abilities and % values can be confusing if you already know how video games work ("is this a flat % increase or do I have to multiply?" Types of things), and I know for a fact M&B is fairly cryptic with a lot of information.
You're either being obtuse on purpose or have hard autism and is incapable of understanding how different people deal with new sittuations.

Skyrim is a good shout, casual puzzle games like Layton or platformers like Super Mario 64.

Give them entry level shit from every genre and let them sort their taste out. This is assuming they won't get sucked into playing ASSFAGGOTS or CRAPCUNTS.

I guess it depends on the person. My mom hates videogames, but for a time she couldn't stop playing AoE II. A friend of mine thinks LoL is the pinnacle of gaming and everything else is too complex. Some people play Madden, some play roguelikes. I however hold Doom as my unit measurement for good taste.

Fucking easy
We simply have to hark back to simpler times: The Arcades.
But to be specific, then its either Time Crisis or Metal Slug. Those games are simple, challenging, and most importantly, flashy as fuck. Most normalfags i've met have played arcades in their life and i figured the arcades managed to concoct a perfect recipe to hook up normal people to play.

Nigger what? I had to fuck around for quite a while in M&B before I could get to a point where I wouldn't waste all my men in a battle I didn't know I couldn't take, and I had already been playing video games for 11 years when I started playing M&B. It's a game that requires a great deal of patience. If you are new to video games you would lose interest very quickly unless you are very attached to the idea of being a medieval lord.
Here's a non-ironic, non-meme answer: Doom 1. Classic Doom is a shooter made for a generation that had never even known the concept of shooters. Simple as fuck controls, no vertical aiming. It is pretty good at teaching the basics of action game mechanics like dodging projectiles and shit. Just make sure you turn on always run before letting them play.

Any Lionhead Studios game. They might LOOK intimidating at first, especially the first Fable and Black and White, but once you start playing, they're pretty easy and usually have enjoyable stories and quests.

Super Bomberman 2 or 5. Easy to understand, easy to control, simple concept, instant fun. You dont really forget the first few times you trap yourself. Or get so many powerups you fill half the stage with explosives. It's something everyone can join in and have fun aan. It's also bizarre enough to keep people's attention while being cute enough to not push away children or females.

Puyopuyo and Tetris (or PuyoxTetris) may work too. Very simple controls and concept. Yet a vast array of understanding ad skill is involved as you get better. They can be played casually alone or with friends. And competitive play always blows people away.

you and your fetish is gay as fuck you stupid nigger.

Rayman Legends.

One of the 3d Zelda's, probably Majora's Mask, honestly. Very dense so they'll be tripping over stuff to do, refined from the previous entry, and lots of entertaining characters and great music. Preferably loan them a 3ds to play it on, since it's a straight upgrade from the original, but if not they can probably manage.

Also Super Mario World if they have any interest in 2d shit. Its the most solid entry in the series, and the most instantly appealing. Motherfuckers get Yoshi and shit.

Thanks for the recs lads

Bouncy Hoops

I wouldn't let them run an imageboard.

Fucking kill yourself you moopy loser, you already know that life fucking sucks, then muster up whatever left of your masculinity and do the world a fucking favor.
The world would be marginally better without another sad sack of shit wallowing in sadness and self-pity.
why do i kept replying to these kind of posts?
well, whatever

Mark is a jew, first and foremost
Second, he's a fucking failure on all fronts
Third, he's the one man cake holocaust himself

KOF 98.

I would ask them what are their hopes and expectations, what kind of stuff they are interested in: is it sports? Simulation? War? Karate? Lewd? How much time per day you want to spend learning a game or do you just want to jump in?
I would have to gauge their mental ability and motivation to give any recommendations. I know this guy who had no or little experience in vidya and he went and picked up a hardcore flight sim and enjoyed it because the subject matter was interesting to him. Willingness to learn goes a long way.

Minecraft.

If they suddenly became interested in games, I'd ask them why. Presumably they'd have an explanation that could provide further insight into the types of games that they may enjoy playing. From there, I'd recommend a combination of modern and classic titles to get them started. If they're genuinely interested, they'll at least give my games a try before nitpicking or complaining, and we'll go from there.
Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Sonic the Hedgehog 3/&Knuckles, Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Banjo Kazooie, Mario Sunshine/Galaxy, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask
Classic Doom, Classic Quake, Perfect Dark/Goldeneye, Halo 1/2, Turok 1/2
Max Payne, San Andreas, Infamous
Mario Kart N64, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, Burnout 2, Outrun classic
Secret of Mana, Symphony of the Night, King's Field 2, Dark Souls, Oblivion, New Vegas, Deus Ex
Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario, Quest 64, Pokemon
Double Dragon, Shinobi, Turtles in Time, Golden Axe, Metal Slug
Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters, Soul Calibur

Forgot super smash bros

Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom pointdevice. Powerwash that motherfucker into getting gud.

THAT KID IS GONNA FUCKING LAVA THAT HOUSE

How could I know? I am not a normalfag. Are you?

FUCK OFF WE'RE FULL.

I was just giving my presumptions on how I believe normalfags act, though I admit my reasoning was flawed.

Tell me about Koishi, why does she wear the hat?

dwarf fortress so that i live up to the expectation that im weird and scare them away