Best ww2 games

What are the best ww2 games in their respective genres?

Other urls found in this thread:

stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-stasteel-fury-1-2
stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t20-how-to-install-sta-mod
don't
4shared.com/file/YWeLgMKhei/STA12.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hearts of Iron 3

Red Orchestra Ostfront

Company of Heroes or Ruse

Men of War series

Silent Storm

You should be ashamed. Hell, your parents should be ashamed.

Close Combat
Combat Mission
Command Ops 2
VASL

too lazy to include more

T-34 vs Tiger was a pretty good tank sim but there might be better out there.

R.U.S.E.
Blitzkrieg
BF1942 with FH Mod
Panzer Generals
European Air War
Silent Hunter III

Play commandos 2 men of courage
I dont know what genre it is but its a pretty solid game, way better than the third one

Stalingrad ünd Talvisota

Blitzkrieg with mods is pretty cool, like you have the motherland mod expanding soviet campaign and I forgot what the German one is called, but it also expands and makes German campaign much more challenging and longer. Both fix how infantry works as well, so now you can't just use tanks for everything. German campaign one has a neat ending to boot.

Play Darkest Hour. Way better with the same complexity of tech which was the thing HoI 3 did the best.

Are there any games where your objective is to PREVENT a global conflict from happening, outside of Ace Combat? Like, is it possible to play a diplomatic /gsg/ run?

Achtung Panzer?

Did anybody play this? One of the better ww2 shooters I've played but it never gets mentioned.

the setting that ruined fps for ever

This isn't about (((Modern))) Warfare though?

For the RTS genre, Steel Division - Normandy 44 deserves a mention.

Made by Eugen, creators of Ruse and Wargame.

Solid game, lots of fun, and Germany has the best toys. As they should.

The Daisenryaku series.

spooky

Do infantry still transform into their transports?

its honestly overdone when WW1 was the superior war in every way. they still had Cavalry back then.

don't get me wrong I love my Hearts Of Iron but its better to use mods.

All infantry begin in transports, but sometimes the transports remain after the infantry disembarks. (This usually means the infantry costs more since their transport is armed.)

So yes, still gonna pass. Fuck you Eugen and thanks for answering me user.

I don't understand the issue, user. The only instance where a vehicle disappears after an infantry disembarks, is if it's a shitty truck with no weapons and no armor.

Axis and Allies (2004)

That is the issue. There is no excuse for that shit, I don't want to be treated like a retarded babby who doesn't know how to manage his resources. I'll stick to gravy team.

M8, what the fuck are you talking about? The only time a transport vehicle disappears after disembarking its cargo is if it's completely worthless. Sure, I guess you could say 'but what if I wanted to reembark?', but that shit doesn't happen for the kind of infantry that come in these phantom transports.

What you're saying is the single stupidest thing I've heard on Holla Forums in the last month.

I don't want phantom trucks, that simple. How are you having trouble with this?

This is fucking ww2. There is no point in time where a truck should be completely worthless unless it's a shit game or a flaming wreck. They were the backbones of every army involved.

Why the fuck not? Sounds like arbitrary limits to me. What if I want a cheap and fast flank? Are the maps not big enough to warrant it? That sucks.

Nu/v/.

Red Orchestra 2

it was OK

user, you're being woefully autistic here. I've put 70+ hours into the game and it's one of the most realistic WW2 RTS games you can get right now.

With how the front line mechanic in the game works, troops either advance through cover toward the enemy (ie: places transports can't go), or the troops are valuable enough to warrant purchasing with a transport that doesn't vanish upon disembarkation. (Which you, in most cases, have full control over when drafting your army.)

Download the game, play it for 90 minutes, and see how it goes before you sperg out and refuse to give it a try because you can't deal with not having useless units around.

It's not a perfect game, sure, but it's certainly not bad.

I agree. War games should only be done about WW1 (I know its unrealistic)

WW1 was D E E P

I couldn't get past the deck building because it's still plagued by all of wargames worst flaws with nothing to redeem it. Infantry squads look like they are still treated as vehicles by the engine but at least they don't run around in perfect circles anymore. Every single tank I looked at had an identical range on their main gun and it is probably just like wargame where they can't fire even a centimeter beyond their hardcoded max range even if they are sitting on top of a hill firing down. I also couldn't get over the fact that my fucking SS panzergrenadier squads don't come with a panzerfaust because it doesn't fit in line with eugenes autistic conception of how the game needs to play out every single time. They reinforce this stupid conception further with the A-B-C unit bullshit that just makes it feel like the game was built for e-sports faggots who need to have their hand held through the match.

I can't deal with casualization, and apparently I have to reiterate myself here but if a truck is completely useless in a ww2 game, its a shit game. I can boot up Graviteam and still use my trucks without them vanishing into thin air. Hell I'm not even mad about not having controls of the trucks, just have them drive off the map when they are done instead of going with the single laziest solution they possibly could. But if something that simple is too much work I can't even imagine what other corners they cut in this game.

It's not even an RTS for a start since you don't build bases, it's an RTT. Besides that if you honestly consider this one of the most realistic ww2 games out there then all I have to say is play more than the three games you have in your lifetime. I suggest Graviteam Tactics if you want something that shits on this game in every way imaginable.

user, it sounds like you're looking for an RTS equivalent of ARMA. If that's the case, I'm unsurprised you're taking issue with these extremely tiny details from SD44. If I had to classify SD44, I'd say it's between something arcadey like CoH and something serious like Graviteam.

I just played a match against the bots in SD44 as the Fallschirmjäger and had a lot of fun. (And I hate infantry.) Units have various roles, and you can succeed with them if you play to their strengths.

No. MBTs have a general range of (I think) 1200m, but some tanks have a longer range, some tanks have a shorter range. Hills do impact LoS, but don't extend range. Tanks have firing arcs and all that.

user, if you're shitting yourself in rage over something like that, I'm more surprised you're not screeching about how vehicles in SD44 don't consume fuel and all of that other shit.

What? Bases are a typical feature of RTS, sure, but not a hard requirement. RTTs deal with much smaller pools and would be skirmish-level engagements; not map-wide. (Ex: Throwing a tank into a reverse to pull it behind a treeline to dodge an AT cannon is certainly RTT faire, but moving several groups of infantry through the woods in a pincer attack in conjunction with a light tank group is RTS. I'd consider something like DoW2 and Myth 2 to be RTTs before I'd suggest that SD44 is.

Why are you trying so hard to defend this game? It's not for me and it won't be until it isn't a casual mess. Even if I didn't want something as big and in depth as Graviteam this game is still totally outclassed by men of war as well.

They don't? Jesus fuck I didn't think Eugene would stoop that low. Pathetic. Also stop spacing like a redditor while having the same taste as one. It makes one wonder of your origins.

wew, don't tell me you do it for free too

You mean the complete downgrade from all of Eugen's other wargames? All they needed was Wargame: Red Dragon with WWII units, and they fucked it up. The naval combat of WWII would actually be fucking fun instead of the missile fest it is in Red Dragon.

The original COD because it had that feeling of pulp war movies from the 60s. At that point, the Medal of Honor series had already dominated the market: but COD brought pathos into the formula, making the game not only historical but also heroic.

Incidentally is Red Dragon worth a buy?

I wouldn't say buy because Eugene is never going to do anything good with that money again but it is a good game, it has its problems but its unique and fun.

If you've played any of the previous games and liked them, you'll still like Red Dragon. The only problem is that the naval combat (really the only 'upgrade' over its predecessors beyond better graphics and more units) is poorly implemented. Naval combat isn't fun. You have a blob of ships with missiles firing at another blob of ships with missiles. Each blob has other ships with CIWS trying to shoot down enemy missiles. Occasionally, an airplane will show up and shoot missiles. Whoever is able to overwhelm the enemy's CIWS better is the victor. Like its predecessors, there are also an appallingly low number of maps, but that number is reduced further if you want to play on maps without shitty naval combat.

I'd tell you to give it a pirate, but most torrents I'm finding are pretty out of date. Do what you will.

MoH: Allied Assault and Spearhead.
The soundtrack is also god tier I am not joking.
Rest in pieces the multiplayer, it had fun maps and a lot of servers ran really fucking fun mods/gamemodes. I remember being amazed how you could just join a server without downloading any mods and play wacky as hell low-gravity freeze-tag silenced pistol football turn-into-a-fighter-plane rifles only madness.

Also the weapons you could choose depended on which character model you picked. As in brits got enfields and stens and burgers got garands and thompsons, i thought that was pretty cool, not to mention all the camouflage variety you had simply by allowing players to pick from all those characters.

My primary problem doesn't lie with infantry transports vanishing (although that's still bullshit), it's with ARTILLERY transports vanishing.
Unless they changed that in the months since I've played. Another thing that I liked in theory but hated in practice was how they changed vehicles to entirely effects rather than healthbars. Sure, it sounds alright, but then you get "Crew Bails Out" when a 37mm bounces off the hull and your tank sits there for the rest of the game.

Here's a list of the best Korean War games.

wew

Most of the transports are just an abstraction for the purposes of videogame. Realistically infantry would be walking across most of france but thats not very compelling and doesnt gel well with 40 minute matches. So for the purposes of the game they are initially deployed in a truck so you can get them to where you want them to be in a reasonable amount of time, but the trucks disappear so not every infantry unit is a mechanised one.

With artillery the same rules apply, realistically they'd be a lot further away and shoot a lot further but for the purposes of game you have to consider if its just a field howitser or motorised. Mortars don't move that much slower than regular inf and battle lines dont ebb and flow by huge amounts, at least not the amount that would make you move your 25pounder battery if you've put some forethought into it.
I won't say it adds depth but it gives you more to think about when deck building and I think it gels well with the setting.

The status effects are bullshit though, you can have that one.
A bailed out tank can't be recovered but stays as clutter, how fuckin annoying, and on top of that my tanks will continue to shoot it over other targets effectively wasting time and ammo and giving away their position, please fuck off with this.

Remember a few posts ago when you were calling it 'one of the most realistic WW2 RTS games'?

I'm defending the game against your ridiculous, nitpicky criticism. For whatever reason user, you seem to have a death grudge against the game. Even by v's autism standards I've not seen someone react this harshly to something to minuscule in a while.

WG:RD was fun, but quite obtuse.

I do agree that naval combat in a WW2 setting would be great, and it's something I hope they add via patch or DLC.

The best way to avoid counterbattery fire is to shoot and scoot. If you fire arty, even against an Easy-level AI, they'll shell it back if you leave it where it is.

Don't disagree about missing transports for arty for the purposes of moving it. Wish you could just use empty supply trucks for that purpose, you know? Or you could just use the shitty 4km arty that one Axis faction gets.

Status effects are also horseshit. 'Bailed Out' might as well mean 'dead', and I wish you could fix shit like 'Transmission Broken' with parts from a supply truck. Having a King Tiger get hit with that means I might as well wait for the earth to cool before he'll get his fat ass anywhere.

'One of' doesn't mean 'the most'. And I stand by it.

steel division was so fuckin disappointing that it breaks my heart
the balance is fucked and virtually the only thing it did right was the frontline system, which i genuinely think is brilliant. otherwise i'd say pirate it at best, and since paradox has its greasy hands on it you know there's going to be like a thousand dollars worth of DLC and critical QOL improvements gated behind some of them

I played this through recently and was shocked to find that the sewer level was actually pretty fun. The game in general is great, they didn't have set pieces every 10 seconds so they relied on good enemy placement and level design instead, really miss having a sprint key though. It's a shame they went with regen health in later games, health packs worked fine, even in defense missions. Lack of regen makes things more tense, has you playing more carefully, if you exhaust the health packs lying around the level you need to take a risk, move and pick them up off dead enemies instead of sitting behind cover then waiting a couple seconds.

Can anyone recommend any single player WWII games? Most of the titles in this thread are multi.

I've had mixed results shelling arty, you have to really lay into them to make them gone, I space my arty all over the place too, just if I want this squad here to be suppressed I like having something nearby that'll get it done.

Empty supply trucks for transports would be a super neat idea but I feel like if you put in too much mobility in you'll bring out all the apm shitters and you'd be losing the feel of the WW2 setting.

Weapon depleted just drains the ammo so thats fixable. The whole system though just seems like the historical accuracy fags getting too much say, I'd appreciate tanks not just being one shot. Maybe they should have a damaged state, so they can take 2 hits max.

good stuff there
also gud strategy, don't know why people refuse 4 though
imagined a whole different series of games, but looks good as well

in case this isn't bait and you just happen to actually be curious, I'd start by saying that it is a grand strategy game that contains neither strategy nor anything of grandness other than its shocking magnitude of bad design decisions, especially considering how the previous games were actually good.
The map also looks like ass and if you want it to look like the maps of previous games and not something out of Civ, you're shit out of luck. The only good aspect I've identified in it so far is the attempt to introduce the aspect of equipment production, as well as the seperation of naval industry from regular industry. But god knows we can't have the research of HoI3 AND this, that would be too complex for mumbling retards even in an ideal scenario where they actually tried making a worthy successor.

Feel free to pirate and try it but do not play it without trying Darkest Hour or HoI3 as well.

If you consider my gripes minuscule the only thing I have left to say is you have shit taste and are ruining video games with it. It's thanks to complacent shit-eaters like yourself that the industry is the way it is. If simply saying that I am going to go play an objectively superior game is "harsh" to you then you need to grow a thicker skin.

wow it's like real life

If that is true, what does that mean for every single aircraft the soviets flew? Especially when pic related downed several soviet fighters in his stuka.

Stukas in Ruse are something to be feared. Hell, all dive bombers in Ruse are great.

It means the Soviet airforce was utter shit until late war, the Stuka stopped being used as much in early '43 and completely ended production in '44, the FW 190F replaced it and did a better job.

Being replaced by a new model doesn't make the old one shit, it just means technology advanced. The Stuka still shat all over both soviet air and ground forces and the 190 was never able to mount pic related, the Stuka's real purpose for existing. Fucking up tanks in one shot is hardly "so little damage to anything that it's not even worth considering".

This isn't the eastern front though, it's 1944-1945 France, the stuka wasn't worth using against late war Allied armour, it's 37mm were ineffective by that stage.

Graviteam is the only real answer and anything else is wrong.

Citation fucking needed, this isn't an AT gun firing at the frontal armor at ground level, the stuka can attack from whatever angle the pilot pleases within reason.

You should do some research on what they are shooting out of those cannons before you say things like this. Especially considering the sherman wasn't much more armored on its top and rear than the T-34. The stuka was less effective on the western front because the allies had almost complete air dominance before long and most of them were kept on the eastern front where they were needed more.

No I'm autistic about promising developers dumbing their games down to appeal to wider audiences.

Best flight sim.

Darkest Hour

Red Orchestra Ostfront or Call of Duty 1-2

Company of Heroes 2

Men of War series

The campaign is an abortion and the multiplayer is an imbalanced mess run by a wehraboo community manager but it's still fun to play the Soviets.

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
Red Orchestra: Ostfront (Call of Duty: United Offensive an extremely close runner up)
R.U.S.E.
TripleA
Commandos 2
Steel Panthers
Darkest Hour
Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front
Steel Armor: Blaze of War
IL-2 Sturmovik
Silent Hunter 3 with GWX mod
Either of the first two Death to Spies games

Whoops, that's obviously not a WW2 game. Should be Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Commandos, Brothers in Arms, Hidden and Dangerous, Silent Hunter.

The British levels, in particular, were based on some but the game as a whole was inspired by popular movies (Enemy at the Gates, Band of Brothers).
Interestingly most of the devs behind MoH:AA actually went on to make CoD 1.
Yes, CoD was pretty heavy on the 'WW2 was shit, be thankful you aren't fighting in it' theme.

Any mod suggestions? Was talking to an user in the tank thread but didn't hear anything about the mods he was talking about.

STA + GMP, I've not followed it in a while and they seem to be messing around with new versions. If you google it you should find a dodgy looking site full of broken english, this is correct.

stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-stasteel-fury-1-2
They're still trying to jew people by requiring donations for the later versions, that was why I stopped following it.

stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t20-how-to-install-sta-mod
You'll need this too. I'm afraid STA mod is a bit slavic.

Fucking slavs. You can cut the don't use link shorteners part out so don't use link shorteners/246619/4shared.com/file/YWeLgMKhei/STA12.html becomes http:/www.4shared.com/file/YWeLgMKhei/STA12.html good luck, nip autism has nothing on slav autism.

I forgot about the filter.

No.

Whenever I watch a replay of a small Wargame session all I can think about is the death toll.
See that T55 assault? Four blown up tanks with 4 crew each is 20 dead.
The one Platoon you lost in that city battle, but replaced like it was nothing? 40 dead.
The airstrike you ordered on the enemy artillery, destroying not only the SPG, but also the supply truck? 10 more dead and gone.
Those recon guys who stumbled on an enemy squad in the woods? 5 more dead.
The Squad that wiped out your recon and you retalliiate against with a napalm strike? 40 guys dead.
Those straggling US Riflemen you mowed down from the city after their HMMWVs were destroyed in the assault and only half of them managed to bail? 40 dead.
That Burratino strike on the FOB? roughly 100 more. The air assault on your position, where you lost not only two tanks, but also the comman vehicle and the six transports that got bogged down in the woods? 80 men, dead and gone.
The one Fuchs that your ally used as a sacrificial pawn to buy some time for his escaping infantry? 2 faithful soldiers who fought on until there was no hope, and even continued to fight after the vehicle was hit by an RPG.
The one MILAN team in that barn? Two best friends, one of which will never return home after the artillery took his buddy right in front of his eyes.
The soil is soaked with blood already! Do we not think of the mothers these men used to have? Of the brothers they will never see again? Of the comrades who had to witness their end? Of the good times they could have had if it wasn't for this stupid war?
Fuck man, I want this game to have a surrender button for each individual unit (They could be treated similar to captured supply trucks or just disappear as if dead) just to save some lifes of those who would otherwise be doomed to useless death.

i didnt ask for this boner

Fucking love this board.

Dutchko is the only good S*uth Korean to be honest

What actually bothers me the most is the fact that most of the Wehrmacht, especially the "static" divisions in Normandy, where using mainly horse-drawn carts, but those aren't modeled in the game at all

Are we doing this?
Are we doing it right now?

Why is he doing this?

You know I always thought the same thing and always tried my hardest to keep every one of my conscripts alive

Turn based tactical game:
Panzer General 2

FPS:
Call of Duty 1

RTS:
Sudden Strike

Stealth:
Commandos series

These are all.

Wait. Nevermind Commandos.

Best game in the stealth genre is Hidden & Dangerous 2.

Guro is olev

I'm pretty sure dutchko self-inserts as the girls, has some weird rape/guro victim fetish. I have no source to cite aside from /k/ discussion a couple years ago about it and a picture he drew of himself as gross looking girl getting turned on at a tank show, which I don't have right now.

I like the Soviet campaign in World at War, I think it was one of the best when "war is when all shit gets fucked" is concerned. The Pacific campaign was pretty meh.

This is what made me interested in Steel Division Normandy 44. Units not only can die due to damange, but when enemy infantry is near and they are under heavy fire they will sometimes surrender.
While this takes some of the controll out of the players hands, it also makes the game feel much more real. I am not sure what to think of this feature just yet.

Close Combat had that features since the first game in the franchise. You soldiers don't just surrender, they can go berserk (especially if their buddies die near them) and put one hell of a struggle, they can panic and refuse to follow your orders, stand up and try to run away (and get gunned down), etc.

Panzer Corps features unit surrender if they are suppressed and have no tile to retreat to, which is one of the mechanics you need to rely upon if you want to blitz through the map and minimize your casualties.

this
i kinda liked blowtorch and corkscrew

The one Pacific mission where you play as an MG gunner in a Catalina plane was my favorite, reminded me of that bomber mission from United Offense

Mein Neger. Even though swastikas must be enabled by mod

Da Tovaritch, was good game.
See you over Stalingrad!

How's Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad?

Seems to be good game, slight russian bias (maybe), but always online drm, no paintscheme customization allowed. Caveat emptor.
Also, to be precise, Il-2 '46 swastikas can be enabled with a program called il2stab instead of a mod (which would break compatibility with vanilla) per se.

Just play the old ones. The new one adds nothing but visuals. The original game has aged well, and mods make it even better, so there is no real reason to shell out money for a similar experience, and suffer under DRM.

it actually wasn't bait
I disagree with you, and I've found 4 to be very satisfying, though I must admit, I haven't played 3
not trying to disregard your opinions though, just trying to figure out if its not just the case of "muh original games were better" syndrome

Ho boy, and there's a metric shit ton of those around. There's so many mods around that there really is no point in paying for Battle of Stalingrad. Too bad some of the mods are bit pain in the ass to get working properly due to shit documentation, but I think it's probably just end user that's being a retard once again. I would have liked to try to get the damn Vietnam mod working properly.

Play 3, or even any other Hearts of Iron game. Then you are entitled to an opinion on the series.

Yeah, that one was actually pretty good, rescuing random sailors was cool.

It certainly did a good job of showing that the Soviets were just as brutal as the Germans rather than some magical saints.

It was a deliberate throwback I think.

Fucking Germany.

Happens in Graviteam tactics too.

Close Combat is the shit, good taste user.