Did the original Metroid come with a physical map...

Did the original Metroid come with a physical map? I remember a section in Super Metroid where you need to use a super missile on a wall to get to Kraid, and the way you know you need to do that is because it's shown as a section on the in game map that you haven't explored yet. I've just started Metroid and I had to use a walkthrough when I got stuck, and the solution was the same, a completely obscured hidden passage, but this time there was no in game map to give me a hint. There doesn't seem to be any clue based off the level, like hidden halls in Doom with mis-aligned texture. The only reason I can think this wouldn't be bullshit is if the game came with a map. If not, should I just play Zero Mission instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/1186/
cinemassacre.com/2016/12/26/ghosts-n-goblins-nes-full-playthrough/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Old games were made to be cryptic as an artificial way to extend the time required to beat them. Also it sold magazines and guides.

It didn't come with a map. You were supposed to make your own.

But there's no way my map could have had a section for Norfair that's completely hidden by a floor you have to bomb. Unless I'm mistaken, I can't see any kind of hint for this based on the tiles. The only way to find this would be to bomb every single tile of every screen.

and?

And I consider that inexcusably bad game design. I'm just trying to find out if this is actually the case before I decide to dismiss the game.

This.
Everyone complains that games nowadays are easy, but they forget how hard games used to be.

Making the game harder allowed you to sell a cheat guide or get a magazine to give you some money and advertising for the solution so kids would buy the magazine.

Another idea was floated by Iwata, when he was on GCCX if I recall correctly, was that the devs would play the game for dozens of hours in playtest to remove every single bug, and they'd find the game too easy, so they'd up the difficulty every so often in testing.

Nigga if you can't deal with bullshit then stop playing old games.
"good" game design is a meme pushed by hacks to make every game feel the same.
Nowadays having a mandatory tutorial and invisible walls is considered good game design.

A lot of NES games are like that. In Zelda 1 you're also supposed to try to burn every single bush. This might sound bad, because it is, but it's not catastrophic, since NES games aren't that big and you can bomb walls/burn bushes as you explore. Another game that's pretty bad with this is legacy of the wizard. The game is fucking amazing but also stupidly criptic, maybe the most obtuse game in the NES that's still fun to play.

That's the way I found it. Pure desperation. This game really taught me not to trust it since things could be behind the dumbest of things, often bombing and shooting every square inch of land. Also fuck being able to take damage while in doors.

If you're playing it for the story, I would recommend zero mission, but it you're playing it for the sake of it, the original Metroid is pretty fun. Either make your own map, or use someone else's. Also, look into the fds version if it interests you. Most of the changes are cosmetic, like the sound, but it helps with the slowdown this game gets when there are a bunch of things flying around. There's an English patch floating around, but the game is simple enough that the language doesn't matter.

Or just don't play the embarrassing tripe (with like 5 standouts) that was released before gen 4.

You have infinitely many bombs, so what's the problem? You are not meant to find every single container in the game anyway, and the hidden passages that you need to find and found with some educated guesswork (try dead-ends or corners). You will never have to do weird trick-jumps to beat the game. And finally, there is no shame in looking something up, exchanging cheats and hints used to be common back in the day.

Now if you want to see some real BS you should try 80s dungeon crawler RPGs. You'll never complain about Metroid on NES again.

Again, you do not need to burn every bush because you are not meant to find all the hearts in the game. Finding secrets was a bonus to reward players who were curious or paying attention.

If anything, it benefits you from not burning every bush since there's a few bushes that have the old man behind them that requires you to fix his door, for rupees.

Sometimes I wonder how Holla Forumsedditors get out of bed without killing themselves from their own retardation

Just play Zero Mission. It's a pretty faithful recreation of it, plus extra. As a bonus, ZM comes with the original after you beat it.

Metroid's problem is that to save memory, it copy pastes maps. A lot. It's very obtuse and not in a good way. ZM at least dresses sections up and makes it look nice and gives everything a unique touch.

As for the Super Missile wall in SM, I never had an issue with it. You're purposely gated into a very small area after the "noob bridge"; you can't climb back up past the Rippers until you get the ice beam, so you're basically limited to Norfair, perhaps 6 rooms of Brinstar, and the entrance to Kraid's lair. New players won't get through the heat rooms without the suit, guaranteed, so they basically bomb a dozen rooms at most and realize that oh shit this incomplete elevator map has a secret

I played this back in the 80s when I was a young child. I took out a piece of notebook paper and drew crude boxes for room. Added little symbols for stuff I found or things that looked like I should come back to. I beat the game. It was amazing and fun, and no, not particularly hard. For a child of the 80s.

It might just be the case that you all are a bunch of little cyrbaby bitches.

Yeah, I'm just gonna move onto Metroid 2 I think.

I'm fine with the Super Missile section in Super Metroid, as there's a valid way to figure out through gameplay that that's where you need to investigate.

Metroid 1 and 2 are too outdated for its own good. Unlike some timeless games like SMB3 (and even SMB1 but not as much) that are still very much worth playing today Metroid 1 and 2 just feel way too dated in the gamedesign. Just play Zero Mission and AM2R in that order then play Super Metroid and Fusion. Then play the Prime series in order. Even back then M1 and M2 were quiet flawed games but people liked them because they were original and they grow out with them. Other flaws are the lack of bosses in M1 and M2.

I still say Metroid II is worth a playthrough. It doesn't suffer from repeating hallways like the first, it's harder to get lost in the more linearly structured world, it introduced a lot of the now staple items and features of the series, and it just controls a lot better than the first game.

When you compare the quality of Metroid ll to other games on the same system like Link's Awakening/Seasons/Ages (great games that are still very much worth playing today) It also makes people think that the Metroid series are overrated or not as good as people say they are. Some of the flaws Metroid 2 have is the samey rooms, lame bosses with the lacking music (in a series known for great music) i did like spider ball and i would not call it a bad game, but it dont stand the test of time and it was not that good when it came out. You cant say that the flaws are all due to the fact that it was on Game Boy as like i said before Awakening/Seasons/Ages are great games worth playing even today. But even with all that they did lay out the foundation for Super Metroid so for that i am happy. Just like Simons Quest is a very flawed game it did lay out the foundation (with some ideas taken from Super Metroid) for SotN. Some old games are great and old while other games are good because they did good things but dont stand the test of time because they were too flawed. Dragon Quest/Warrior 1 is also a very good example of the later while Chrono Trigger and FF6 is a good example of the former.

there is a rom hack that adds a small mini map and a save feature. I suggest you check it out.
romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

You either had to use graph paper or subscribe to Nintendo Power.

This is a really nice romhack by the way. Check it out, the minimap is actually really useful.

In the previous Metroid thread I wrote something about M2/AM2R. Falls in about the same category as M1. M2 was actually a fun playthrough, be it a little too empty for me, but that helped build the environment.

never tried this be for so it might not show, trying to embed video…

Not sure how to embed… Well here is the link you think metroid is bull shit watch this shit. Now this game is fucking cryptic as hell
cinemassacre.com/2016/12/26/ghosts-n-goblins-nes-full-playthrough/

That's not true. It sold well and was liked enough to stay in the charts for a while. Super Metroid was considered a let down when it came out, since it was far easier than the previous two. Its only gotten praise more recently as its far prettier to listen to and look at than its predecessors. SotN was influenced by Zelda 2, not Super Metroid. Its funny, the term metroidvania was wrong since its inception, but what can you expect from journalists.

This is utterly false.

The original metroid is not a good game mate. By all means try it for an hour or 2 but you'll soon see it's not good.
There is a romhack that shows an in-game map (much like the one in metroid 3) when you push select. It makes the game slightly less crap.

Are you 12? There is a huge difference between a well designed game and a poorly designed game.

Zelda 1 at least had some semblance of a map in the top left and encouraged players to draw their own map as they went along, plus there was only one bombable wall/burnable bush per screen so once you found where it was you wouldn't need to keep trying

The difference is purely opinions. Secrets should be actually secrets no matter how import they are to progress. Having objective markers is not "good" game design.

I can think of few remakes that miss the point harder than Zero Mission.

I've never really understood the need that some people had to draw maps for the original Metroid. The world really is small enough to memorize, it's not that difficult.

This user gets it.

you're juding the game by (((current year))) standards, when you should be judging it by 1986 standards.

Open world exploration was very new and hardly any of the genre conventions had been well defined. People back in that age drew their own maps, bombed every single square and other things simply because 'exploring' a game world was the hottest shit back then. The formula then improved with time so much so that when underagers like yourself play a classic original they are burdeoned with the expectations that go along with 20+ years of iterative game design improvements.

You know what the real fun killer for Metroid is? Not the lack of a map, but the fact that you always start out with 30 energy and empty containers. Then you have to grind in front of those pipes, but you end up getting bored, so your attention slips, so you get hurt by the bugs, so you have to grind even more and you get even more bored, and you get the picture. You can always draw a map or download one off the internet, but as far as i know there isn't even a ROM hack to address this issue.

No, it's not and people need to stop saying this. Zero Mission is a re-imagining of the original Metriod: same premise, completely different game design. And honestly, if that's what you want then play Super Metroid, ZM is more like a stripped-down SM.

Zelda 2 and not Simons Quest?

I actually think this is a perfectly reasonable statement, even if you're trying to exaggerate shit to mock him.

Are you talking about the area in Brinstar where to find and fight Kraid you have to bomb the floor? There is a massive crack where you have to place the bomb. This crack is no-where else in the game and it sticks out.

Or are you talking about the dirt bridge below the Norfair elevator that you have to bomb? You can see the little Sovas crawling around down there and up along it, making you ask, "How do I get down there?"

People like to ignorantly chalk this stuff up as obscure and impossible hidden paths that nobody could find without a guide, but for Super Metroid, there are always hints. They didn't put things randomly for no discernible reason at all. The stuff that is really, really hidden are optional power ups that increase your missile/super missile/power bomb capacity well beyond what you need to win, and in that case, there is the X-Ray scope, which lets you detect secrets.

Pay attention. Things are there for a reason.

There are only about 20 unique rooms in the game, copy-pasted over and over and over and over again.
The bombable blocks are always present in every copy and always in the exact same place - most just lead to nothing.

So you don't have to bomb everywhere at all times, you just have to remember where the bombables are for your current room configuration, and then check those few blocks.

Learning where the bombables are in the first place, though, is a big yes - you have to just bomb the fuck out of everything. That's part of the fun of exploration. I bet you don't even like pixel hunting.

Threadly reminder newest fan version up:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:58c2e617196046eb429ef72a9738d764159ad951&dn=AM2R%5F133%5FWindows.zip

recall to recommend GBAStyle ROM hack. New run can be thrown away.

Tutorials are now mandatory because games don't come with manuals anymore, which is a shame.

What are you, a woman? Just memorize the layout and look for hidden passages in suspicious areas. Now get away from Holla Forums you fucking casual.

Why do you even play games what's the fucking point

It's a far better way to play it than Zero Mission.