The zelda alternative

There's something about the zelda games that's incredibly boring. Every game manages to follow a similar formula yet nintendo rarely broke out of the mold and went beyond go in dungeon, push blocks, get item, push blocks, use item, push blocks, fight boss and repeat 4-12 times. The overabundant and uninteresting stories taking greater and greater precedence over the middling game play always left more to desire.

I think the creators of these games feel the same in some sense, there's something undeniably zelda-like about them and they just play so much better in the ways that matter. What are your experiences with them and what do you like about them? Got any other zelda alternatives you'd like to mention or recommend?

It's time to stop.

it is, faster too. go push some blocks dork

nu/v/ needs to die

Crusader of Centy is great. Developers made a spiritual successor for the Saturn named Linkle Liver Story which was only released in japan.
Beyond Oasis and Legend of Oasis are pretty good too.
Alundra is too tedious to be enjoyable, especially in the western release localized by Working Designs. The "puzzles" are mostly timing based instead of requiring thinking. The combat is really dull with all the tools being boring and tons of damage sponge enemies.

You couldn't even think of Okami?

My. Fuggin'. Nigga. Game of my childhood, still the game of my adulthood. Can't stop replaying this one. There needs to be more.

Is drill loli good?

Thanks for the warning.

Oh god what did they fuck up?

That's the only thing I remember about that game and its sequel. They're just tedious.

It's alright. The story is broken up and many parts are optional so you can totally be lost in what is going on by missing a lot of stuff.

Kemco's a Japanese company you nimrod.

They jacked up enemy health and attack power because Working Designs felt the need to "improve" everything they worked on and boast about how better their version is in the manual. This also included butchering the scripts to insert jokes and pop culture references. Here's a line from Alundra:
"Dude, it's okay if not everyone here believes in the gods. The faith of a few and a little weed is all we need, bro."

Surprised no one's said his yet, I think this had a better early game than Alttp

Does that mean CoD is a Japanese game? Although, you are still right. The GBC version of the game was developed by a Japanese company called Will.

kys faggot

At least from what I remember hearing Alundra has a patch to restore the enemy parameters or whatever. Shame the same can't be said of the scripts for any of the games they've handled, as none have retranslation patches to my knowledge.

okami

Kill yourself, OP.

One of the best Zelda games ever made was for PS2

This game was pretty good, even if it is closer to Brave Fencer Musashi than a proper Zelda game. Also, we all know the best Zelda game is both Oracles games.

No, it's ALttP. Fuck off back to Something Awful.

I really wanted BotW to be more like the first Zelda rather than skyrim missing 50% of its content without music. The first Zelda is a good game.

(wasted dubs)

yeah, my fondest memories of Zelda are when to fight enemies, I had to wait for the game to load ten seconds and then spawn a bunch of trash enemies - oh wait! that's just this shitty game with unskippable, annoying cutscenes and the same Big Bad three times

go away zelda fans, this is about better games

I've played OoT when a bunch of friends suggested me to and to this day I still have no idea what's its charm. I mean, I got to play a bunch of other n64 games, from Banjo to Mario Tennis, they all had that little something that makes you have a lot of fun while playing, but for the life of me I cannot understand who'd willingly sit down and finish that piece of garbage. The music is boring. The gameplay boils down to slashing and sometimes shooting from a distance. The combat is meaningless. The dungeons just force you to waste time on predictable puzzles. The characters act way too serious (except for maybe the zombified town center, I never thought I'd ever see a zombie apocalypse in a rural high fantasy - medievalish setting, that one was pretty cool) or break the immersion with no in between. The travel is obnoxious, I don't think that even back in the day it was released people would be willingly having fun doing that commute. The two good things I can say about it is that there's plenty of areas where dreadful atmosphere is executed flawlessly and that there's plenty of secrets, but the core game is boring.

That's pretty much every Zelda game, especially the earlier ones like OoT and LttP, they're okay games but they are designed for a more casual audience.

"zelda babby now an edgy teen": the thread

ah, didn't realize this was a hipster thread. my bad

no, this is for good games. go to your squid loli thread or something you mad child.

It was the first 3D Zelda game, back when 3D was marketed as innovative. It featured established and beloved characters but in a new technological light, with new graphics, gameplay mechanics, and presentation techniques like cutscenes and object lighting. It was basically the BOTW for its time.

The gameplay itself isn't that bad, the things you've said can be applied to pretty much any game that people love.
That's just, like, your opinion, man
You can pretty much say the same thing about virtually every game with swords and projectiles. It's not meaningless, it's just simplistic, which is to be expected given that it's such an old game.
Maybe the puzzles are predictable to you, someone who is presumably an adult with average problem-solving skills, but maybe they're not as straightforward to a childish and developing mind. The game is marketed to children, the puzzles were never meant to be complex. Besides, you're basically saying that the main content of the game is pointless. People knew what they were getting, they expected puzzles and enemies in dungeons with items and boss battles. If you expected something else, then you were misguided.
Eh, they're basically the equivalent of what you'd get from any given shonen. The characters aren't deep or poignant, they're flimsy archetypes that are introduced to explain a very basic story. It's intended for children, so of course it's simplistic.
You have a horse, which can increase your movement speed to at least double Link's normal walking speed, and the map is quite small. In fact you can get from Gerudo Desert to Zora's Domain in less than 10 minutes. It's quite small, so I don't know how you can complain about the travel in such a small overworld. Not only that, but halfway through the game, you're given ocarina melodies that allow you to fast travel to various locations of interest throughout the world. What exactly is so obnoxious about travel?

I mean, I know this game has had a history of being praised to high heaven, and maybe some of that praise is unwarranted, but you must admit that it's not absolutely shit, and it manages to do the basic action-adventure decently well enough. Anyway, maybe you'll like Majora's Mask better, it has more meaningful side content and a far better atmosphere, and it's not plagued by the inconveniences of its predecessor (shit like an overly long and insufferable tutorial section and an abundance of cutscenes and unskippable dialogue), although it is effectively a more refined version of the same game, so you should expect practically identical combat scenarios and puzzles.

its weird to see someone recommend a zelda game like someone hasn't played it. we've all played them. that's why this thread exists. I don't think you understand the problem with the zelda games.

That's like complaining about the size of a stroller or other apparatus that is designed to house or transport children. You're really going to complain that you can't fit inside a stroller? Instead of complaining about it, go play something else that meets your expectations. But of course, you reserve the right to autistically screech about non-issues, right?

what a retarded analogy.
What the fuck do you think the point of the thread is? Not for you to autistically defend a kids game.

The point of this thread is virtue signalling about how X (non-nintendo) children's games are better than Y (non-intendo) children's games.

Why is it retarded? Too difficult for you to understand? Maybe get the dick out of your mouth and try reading it again slowly, and then after your reading comprehension skills have slightly improved you compose a better argument on why you don't like the game instead of being such an insufferable faggot.
To shitpost and circlejerk about 'muh zelda is so terrible xD', evidently.
This whole board is dedicated to autistically defending kids games.

zelda defense force is here
here's the point of the thread:

You got asshurt over the first line and didn't read the second, and instead jumped to defend your master like the delusional fanboy faggots you are.

No. Read OP's response here where he laid it all out. He's just as a bitter little hipster faggot.

Yeah, well, Zelda is tangentially related to the topic. In order to explain what you're looking for in a "Zelda alternative", you should be able to explain what it is precisely that you don't like about Zelda, and then compare and contrast other games in an attempt to then explain why the games you've chosen are somehow different or contain elements that are featured in Zelda but better executed. So far, you haven't done that, and are instead content to bang your nipples against your keyboard.
Wrong, you are a dipshit. I merely saw a post that I believed contained weak criticism against a game that I believe is decent, and sought to open a discourse about it. I want to know greater details about the points raised, and maybe learn to understand someone else's perspective. You're a shit nigger. Kindly kill yourself, alright?

Nigger are you really gonna get so offended over that? You're overdue for a bullying arent you, you little bitch

Any other good "Zelda-clones" any anons want to list, or are you going to continue sperging?

Better Zelda than Zelda, IMO.

Only issue is the old "Have to be level X to hurt Y" thing, which causes some grinding.

Never heard of it, just watched a video. Damn, the encounter rate is a massacre. It's like Skies of Arcadia after a double espresso.

I'm returning this trash tomorrow

Faria is damn difficult without maps, also there's a bit of a plot twist near the end of the game:

Near the end of the game it's suddenly revealed that your action babe was an action dude that had been turned into a woman by an evil curse. You kill the one who laid the curse and turn back into a man for the final dungeon. It's a bit weird.

The only thing that's bullshit is that garbage post you keep reposting.

so you basically want it not to be a zelda game
dark souls then

Did they tone down the story? I remember it being all kinds of fucked up.

The 2D Zeldas are good, but the 3D ones, especially OoT, are absolute dogshit.

OP is obviously a fucking dick sucking cum guzzling commie queer from Holla Forums or /neofag/.

No shit, tell me about it. That's why it's nowhere near my top 10 NES games. I still like the game well enough as an underrated gem but Dayum, the beginning can be fucking brutal.

I discovered Faria when I was looking at NES games that were, quite honestly, thinly veiled clones of more popular NES games. Like Faria being a clone of Zelda, The Krion Conquest being a Mega Man clone, 8Eyes being a clone of Castlevania, etc, etc.

incorrect.

>tits and ass
no room for ass in my game about tits

muh niggest nigga

you can't even jump in alttp kys faggot

Fixed

First I've heard of this. God damn, that is one expensive game.

the dark zelda of PS1 games