Melee has one of the highest risks of hand injury out of any competitive game but at the same time they hate using...

Melee has one of the highest risks of hand injury out of any competitive game but at the same time they hate using anything that isn't a GC controller which is the source of their hand injury. It's very much not ergonomic compared to the uniform shape every manufacturer is using now.
Is it possible to overhaul Smash's controls to reduce strain on hands while keeping all previous functions available? I think it's a bit redundant that two face buttons are bound to Jump.

Your thread is bad.

and make all those professional players have to re-learn on a new controller?
HA

i think its a bit redundant that nobody has checked my repeating digits yet

If you're so adamant about using a controller that has become actively bad for your hands, and refuse to adapt to something else, you don't exactly deserve pity or care for your issue.

Where the fuck are they?

Nigger this will happen with literally any game with any controller if the combat is twitch-based enough. I had this happen with a standard rock-candy 360 shut up it was cheap and decent controller on Hollow Knight and Rivals of Aether. it had been a while since I've played games like that so I got the standard "sore hands/callouses" that come with it. Same for Budokai 1 and 3.

The best musicians often have fucked up hands and wrists because they practice near pathologically; same with these nerds.

the best musicians would also probably take a more ergonomic guitar if it still resulted in the same sound quality if they could

Shut the fuck up kid, no one cares about your shitty console.

Its really hard to form a discussion for this when we all know that there is a golden fact: Fuck these niggers. Smash Tournyfags are detested by all and no one wants to deal with them.

If anything lets instead turn this thread into one that makes fun of these worthless shits. Your second picture practically summed up your entire thread and point.

Melee is my favorite game, I have been played with my close circle of friends for over a decade and yet I have never interacted with the competitive community nor do I know anything about their lingo or fancy moves. Feels good by the looks of it, just a bunch of elitist fucks.

been playing*

back to leddit

There is a problem when you are basically being elitist about a party brawler made for kids.

use your forearm to press, sure the wrist is fast but it's not the strongest

Then stick with playing with kids user, the melee community is very different from the "ideal audience" Nintendo offers
Those autists understand melee on a fundamental level better than most people and its fine to be elitist about it if you want to remain competitive
If you think its a party brawler made for kids that's fine, but expecting to identify with people who have analyzed the most absurd mechanics of the game and who treat it differently than you and being butthurt about not being accepted in said community is childish in it self as well

I think you're thinking about simply having standards. Elitism is an excess. It's wrong by definition.

Eh. At this point I view "elitist" in the same category as the term "racist" by this point. Its so utterly lost all its meaning as a pejorative of me thanks to retards abusing the definition of the word to where I choose to embrace the label. It happened in the Fire Emblem community, the biggest example of it being when the new fans basically started a war with the old and called them all "scumbag elitists" for not liking the new games. I've also seen this in other communities too (not the same situation, but elitism used as a pejorative when the "elitists" made better company than the people calling them that)
Maybe I'm just jaded, I dunno.

I don't play with kids, I play with my friends whom most are turbo casuals (90% of the franchise's audience)
I can understand the physics and logistics of dropping a splashy turd and its competitive scene.
Where the fuck did I imply that I wanted to be a part of their pathetic little show?

Any thread in which they are mentioned is explicitly a thread mocking them as it's impossible to even mention them without acknowledging how pathetic they are. It's self evident.

Spending thousands of hours of your life playing with a toy for children doesn't make it some elevated art form. It just makes you a child.

You need to welcome Smash Brothers 4 community and allow everyone to use anyone and any joystick. Only then you will stop being "elitist community".

And also allow trannies, trannies are important.

I never said it was an "elevated art form". Melee players are autistic, but comparing a vidya like Smash to an unspecified toy is a stupid analogy for anything besides shitposting
Find me a toy that compares to a vidya with complex mechanics and then find me someone who understands it on a strong level beyond the scope of what was intended by the toymakers of most of their audience and that would make an apt analogy.

You just sounded butthurt tbh

Melee needs to die, tbh. Every year, it's the same shit and the same people winning the same tournaments. There's literally nothing new, no new meta scene or people improving.

Why not bother learning those moves? It adds way more to the games. Honestly, without them, it's no where near as fun to play. Then again, I used to play PM instead of Melee.

Nigger that's how fighting games got combos to begin with. How is this even an argument?

I don't think so. Even if you make the face button side of the controller better, the stick is always going to be a problem. Quick movement is so massively important in Melee that some people wear out their stick enough to get snap back or drift in just a couple years. And this is Nintendium we're talking about, non-tourneyfags have gamecube controllers more than a decade old that still work perfectly, so consider how much use it actually takes to wear one out. Putting that kind of work load on any single digit is going to cause hand problems. There are fully analog arcade style sticks, but that just moves the strain from a single finger to the wrist.

The Melee community is by and large fucking stupid when it comes to "muh game purity", which is hilarious when you consider that there are dozens of rules in place and 70% of the game's content banned to make it in the competitive format to begin with. The fact that some people were against UCF absolutely blows my mind. If the community wants to survive, it's eventually going to have to pull its head out of it's ass with regards to different controllers, low latency gaming monitors, etc.

This is coming from someone who's been into competitive smash for about a decade, and switched to a homebrew arduino smashbox about 5 months ago after I started getting hand pain.

Guilty Gear keyboard expert here (can instant air dash about FRC'd chemical love and other fancy shit), to this day I have no fucking idea how these hitbox are supposed to be ergonomic. You literally have your left hand mashed into the right from what I can tell here. But why? Who in the actual fuck thought this was a good design?

Do you push the buttons with the palms of your hand you fucking retard? kek

Regardless of elitism itself being an inherently positive or negative thing, meleefags demonstrating it is most certainly a negative. It's a game which was designed for children, that they've decided to make into a competitive scene by neutering a good portion of its default functionality. It's the equivalent of a community of DOOM speedrunners making their goal to kill as few enemies as possible, when the game is blatantly about massacring as many demons as possible.

If you want to play a fighting game, play an actual fighting game. The genre has plenty to offer, much of it far superior to what can be offered in any of the Smash games outside of the major utility of Smash - as a party game. It's an absolute joke. These nerds deserve wedgies.

It's nothing like that. Challenge runs like pacifist or tyson are just fun weird ways to increase the difficulty and explore new ways of playing. The Smash community is like holding Doom speedrunning tournaments where episode 1 shotgun only is the only allowed method of playing and then looking down on anyone who plays by any other ruleset.

They already do that, though; they only kill the enemies they need to in order to progress because killing enemies takes time. This is fine, though, because Doom and Doom II are about GOTTA GO FAST as much as they're about RIP AND TEAR and there are always 100% runs for maximum carnage at maximum speed.

Doom speedrunners have one goal in mind: To beat the level in as little time as possible. If you want to see a Doom playthrough that is anything other than someone beating a level in Doom is as little time as possible, you shouldn't be watching Doom speedruns, or you should at least go find an "All 100% DOom Speedrun" category.

Yeah user, we know.

These are the same people who demand that they play with a special factory defect controller that doesn't jiggle slightly in a certain way and yet ban everyone from using their own gear. Sure, you can argue that tournaments are hard enough to set up, but either provide base controllers or allow someone to bring their own. People bring arcade sticks to events all the fucking time, these idiots are just autists, no one special.

All they're good at is Melee, nothing much else.

Honestly don't know why the Project M crew didn't just continue working on the mod and then "leak" updates while taking no credit for it.

I agree. I am an elitist Tic Tac Toe player myself. :^)

An actual controller contours to the hand and places buttons where they're easy to access. At any time you'll have your fingers on a maximum of 6-8 buttons, counting thumb joints, tip of thumbs, index and middle on the "R1 R2 L1 L2" buttons in the case of the playstation controller, with the remaining buttons directly next to them. This allows for minimum movement for maximum actions, the Hitbox looks like you have to actually use your forearm to move your hand into the right position instead of your fingers, which means you're going to be slower. It's only useful for Street Fighter due to the large hitstop and hitstun.

And speedrunning, as admitted by career speedrunners with evidence posted here on webms we laugh at constantly is admitted to BE cancer. It just goes to show how small the Melee "community" is, if it got any bigger you'd have people calling it cancer because they'd know.

And that's the thing about elitism, it only has a small amount of people involved because the actual community is shit.

Fuckin casual. I bet you don't know the real competitiveness that is in tournament level Connect 4.

Nintendo has them locked down air tight under C&D + NDA. No one wants to risk losing everything but the shirt on their back for a mod that they're not getting paid for.

The real question is: Why is Nintendo so stupid? A legitimate sequel to Melee along sides esports sellout marketing bullshit would print money faster than pokemon, and 90% of the work has already been done for them with PM. They could sell millions copies with absolutely no work except porting it.

The idea behind the hitbox being crammed together like that is so either thumb can press the up button (the large one in the lower middle). I don't know why they thought that was a good idea or necessary though, because it's not like either thumb is doing double duty with any other button.

My box copies this layout, and I can tell you it's infinitely more comfortable than a controller. I basically just feels like resting your hands in your lap.

Fighting games are an objectively bad genre, so I don't understand why Meleefags want to be considered part of the FGC.

The original problem with the BOXX wasn't the layout or design, it was the advantages it gave over a regular controller (better SDI and faster run speed due to a approximate "1" on the joystick input because of a digital input)
I'm fairly certain those issues were ironed out

All we can do at this point is hope that Sakurai isn't the director of the next game. Although he said he wouldn't work on another game after Brawl as well as after Smash 4, so it seems like he's got the Miyazaki syndrome going on.

I never used those boxes because of four reasons. One, they're overpriced, and two, if you're actually playing with other people more often then not you'll be using the controller they have there so if you actually want to win matches, you need to learn a common setup and stick with it, because the popular setup is what is used most.

The third reason is this: if you spend so much time learning one configuration like that, you kill your muscle memory when you switch controllers, which is what you rely on in anything twitch. The moment you start thinking in a fighting game is the moment you start losing, that's why mindgames are a thing.

4th reason, if you're going to use an arcade setup without a stick, you're retarded and won't move as well as someone that uses the stick shift.

Naughts and crosses is shit, retard.

Oh, and default controllers are always used, and if someone brought in that monstrosity as a base they'd get laughed out of the room, because that's essentially bringing in your personal controller as a personal advantage.

This shit is like a hermit training in his cave, getting really good at a skill he thought was useful, and when he's out of his cave everyone around him is using a more practical method that plain works better and the hermit cannot keep up with the kids.

How fucking long will melee be a thing? Jesus christ, my grandpa played this game 50 years ago. It's literally the same thing all the time now.

The whole 1.0 stick signal argument is completely moot, and came from people who don't understand how a gamecube controller works. The only reason cube controllers don't consistently give 1.0 is because the gate restricts the stick. You can get 1.0 in every direction on any controller by just filing out the cardinal notches a little bit.

As far as I know, easier SDI is is unresolved. But IMO it's balanced out by one of the B0XX's disadvantages. While getting SDI is easier, getting good normal DI is much, MUCH harder. If you want the maximum 18° DI you need to be exactly perpendicular to the launch angle, but without combinations of axis modifier buttons, you're restricted to 45° stick increments, meaning you'll be up to 22.5° off from perfect DI in the worst case scenario. I can't even imagine getting the reflexes down to hit the right combination of axis modifiers in just a few frames of to get optimal DI.

But really none of this should even be a problem. The traditional FGC has been dealing with the advantages and disadvantages of stick vs pad from day 1, and everyone just deals with it.

You sure about that? I've taken my controller to 3 majors so far, and had zero problems with that.

That's because you take them to tournaments, when you're playing with friends that shit is impractical. Try a controller and you'll actually WIN in those tournaments.

So which one is it? Is my controller a handicap or an advantage? Sounds like you're getting so fanny flustered over talking about a children's part game on the internet that you're losing the ability to make rational arguments.

Melee is fun.

It's a handicap because you refuse to use other controlers and can't use more common ones, and the only situation where it would be an advantage is if you were to contribute your controller to a pool for playing in a lounge type situation, with only one other controller being available for win/loss rotation.

and the only situation where it would be an advantage is if you were to contribute your controller to a pool for playing in a lounge type situation, with only one other controller being available for win/loss rotation.

You realize this literally never happens, right? Bring your own controller has been the standard for every tournament, FGC and smash alike, since the dawn of time. Sounds like you might be the one who needs to get out of their hermit cave.

Says the man who doesn't play with his friends.

Tournaments are hermit mecca, all sorts of degenerates and retards go there expressly to come out of their cave to test their useless skills.

But I was just out with my friends last night. I'm sorry that you're getting so upset over a children's party game. I hope your day gets better.

:^)

As far as fighting communities go, melee is far less autistic than street fighter's community

This sort of thing makes it even harder not to think of smash players as autistic Chris-chan types. They way they play the game has become so specific and so obnoxiously micromanaged that they can't even play it without a specific kind of controller, one which typically has to be minorly defective in some way.

Maybe for all the tiny handed manlets that make up the FGC, in all my years of playing vidya I’d have to say that the GC is probably the most comfortable controller I’ve ever used. It does have flaws, like the Z button being so tiny and about as useful as tits on a bull. The d-pad being tiny wasn’t very good either. I don’t know, maybe it’s because I grew up during the height of N64 and beginning of GameCube, I never experienced the age of the directional pad in NES and SNES firsthand.

I've never been into competitive melee (used to like the game as a wee lad because it was a fun party game with friends), I've watched some of it and I have come to this realization: the more high execution a game gets, the more spectacular it is to watch it and the more autistic losers with no life plans will latch onto it. These people are just goddamn sad to watch. The games look fun and intense but it's still a goddamn children's game and they're acting like they've lost a billion dollar's worth of prize money even when playing casually. Who the fuck does that? I really miss the days of good multiplayer FPS communities where we could go around servers bullying autists and furfags with exploits and team coordination.

Put it this way, if they didn't have the rabid fanbase they have then these C&Ds would be met with a lot more pushback. No other vidya company can shit on their fans as much as modern nintendo. So they are not stupid at all, they have their fanbase eating out of their hand and they know it.