Pre-WoW MMOs

Tell me about MMORPGs released prior to World of Warcraft and what makes them so special. Which ones are still around? What's your favorite? I know about Project 1999 existance but I have never played EverQuest.

Other urls found in this thread:

openmeridian.org/
meridian59.com/
github.com/ACEmulator/ACE
github.com/Museum-of-Art-and-Digital-Entertainment/habitat/commit/6f54b01b6d72deb081c24390c62ebfd9105e9e69
net-7.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Absolutely nothing. They were objectively shitty games.
It was the people, user. There were no normalfags on the internet back then.

Nothing. Vanilla WoW does everything in them except significantly better. The only people who say otherwise are hyper contrarians who think vanilla WoW is shit for requiring social interaction in order to progress your character.

WOW didn't do anything new. It just did everything old in not shit ways that allowed kids and normalfags in.
That's all there is to it.

The WoW shills already arrived.

The thing that made pre-WoW and even vanilla WoW special was they were basically MUDs with graphics. EverQuest is the ideal example of this, because you have to actually type in chat to talk to NPCs and the skill progression is just like many popular MUDs. Additionally, EverQuest/MUDs were not driven by quests necessarily. EverQuest did have plenty of quests, but they were not anything like conventional quests you might see in WoW. One of the first quests you can pick up in EQ is "I lost my ring somewhere, let me know if you find it." That's it, no further context or information. You're supposed to just keep that in the back of your mind and bring a ring back that matches his description if you happen to find it while doing other shit. The game was driven by the player's own curiosity and desire to explore, not NPCs giving you tasks that say "go here, do this."

Everything. The most succinct answer is that they were more WORLD than GAME.

The closest thing you'll get to those old school MMO is stuff like DayZ, Conan Exiles etc.

Underage who never touched Ultima Online or DAoC

How's DAoC? Is Uthgard a good starting point or will the oldfags crush me?

Everything's dead afaik.

Gonna cancel the download then

Don't, see things for yourself.

Ultima Online is gettinng something called Endless Journey soon
Ultima Online: Endless Journey is a way for players to experience the core features of Ultima Online without a paid subscription
New accounts and previously paid veteran accounts that have been closed for at least 120 days are eligible for Endless Journey.
Endless Journey accounts receive complementary access to all Ultima Online expansions through Stygian Abyss. Other expansions can be purchased and applied to an Endless Journey account. Endless Journey accounts have access to Ultima Online’s core features and can enjoy exploring Britannia, training character skills, making friendships that will last a lifetime, and much more!
Sounds to me like EA is gonna pull the plug sooner or later, everyone already moved or will move to UO Forever though.

If it's done by ea then you know it's gonna be bad.

Current year UO is just a bad Diablo Clone with open world housing.

That's why everyone is playing UOF

UOF is nothing like UO classic. Play UOR or T2A faggot.

UOF is simply better.

Nigger please. WoW was more limited in its gameplay compared to Ultima Online, EVE Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Ragnarok Online, or even fucking RuneScape.

WoW was a straight-up mass-market casualization of the MMORPG genre. It was stupidly popular but it was mostly a Warcraft-themed EverQuest knockoff where the only thing you could do was grind and shitty world PvP and that was it. Compare to UO where the game felt like an actual virtual world. And when it came to PvP took Blizzard months to implement the honor system and even longer to implement a few battlegrounds. Not to mention WoW's class balance was shit. Paladins were downright dysfunctional plate-wearing healers, pic related. Rogues were PvP gods. Warriors had a weird curve going from total shit to PvP monsters one-shotting enemies with their arcanite reapers to being so-so.

Pre-WoW MMOs were a different breed
Actions had consequences and player interaction in an (admittedly) low-res simulation of a fantasy world being the number one priority over grind-treadmilling and themeparkery.

BUT MY ENTIRE ONLINE PERSONALITY REVOLVES AROUND LIKING OLDER GAMES

Says you. Most post WOW MMOs are shit. Some pre WOW MMORPGs are OK although they were nothing but MUDs with graphics.

In UO I decided to be a blacksmith/swordfighty guy. Not ideal in fact anyone who has ever played UO knows that you don't mix crafters with combat due to skill caps but fuck I didn't care or even know any better. I pretty much wandered around and worked on my smithing and mining when I didn't feel like fighting orcs. Eventually I turned into a wandering blacksmith. I'd repair gear for people free of charge go and help those who asked and was generally just a dumb good guy. I enjoyed it greatly and to this day there isn't a game around where I can do that.
The biggest change was choice. You don't get to be what you want in current mmo's. You are the hero, the protagonist, the focus of the events happening around you. That's not what made mmo's fun. It was being whatever you wanted to be, you could be some heroic adventurer killing dragons, slaying evils etc or you could be a wandering blacksmith, a bandit, a villain, a merchant, a craftsman. That's not to say they didn't have issues, they did but fuck me I'd put up with insta-kill guards and full loot on death then another dumbed down expansion from wow or whatever korean mmo with boobs is popular at the moment.

tigole was in vanilla wow, and its considered good.. but hes designer in overwatch now

The makers of it are making a new one though. Camelot Unchained.
Haven't played in the Beta, so I don't know how it is, but considering it's post-2007, I'm not holding my breath.

I remember im older MMORPGS (Ragnarok, FFXI and Lineage 2 for me)

Players would actually talk to each other.
You had to travel on foot across the land, and dying meant losing significant XP and possibly de-leveling.

There was a great sense of community, in all three of those games I naturally made friends, was invited to guilds, There were times when you'd just sit outside Prontera, or in Sandora, or Valkrum Dunes and you'd just TALK to other players you knew. You'd see the same players travelling around the map and you'd give them a wave/nod. Eventually someone might ask if you're available to help them, and just a new friendship was formed.

Nowadays…You log in, get matched with Random people you'll never see again, teleport into a dungeon, run the dungeon, teleport out. No one even says Hello.

The worlds seem hollow and empty, no one talks to each other and theres no sense of community anymore.

MMO's just aren't what they used to be and probably never will be.

This explains almost all aspects of its shit design.

Who is he quoting?

Trying hard to make this a LOL! thread.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that and assumed he meant good compared to what WoW became. It's a good lesson to learn: Everything can always get worse, no matter how low it began.

Nearly all modern MMO's problems stem from lack of consequences. Carebears don't want consequences because it would require them to learn the game or form a community to help them (a community with at least some good players who don't want to hang around retards that can't play properly).
The lack of consequences to death, for example, mean people are fine teleporting into a dungeon with strangers and teleporting out at the end. Because whats the worst that can happen? Imagine if you could still lose XP and de-level from death? Or lose items? No one would do that shit. You wouln't trust a gaggle of pick-up retards to get your ass through a dungeon. You'd be rolling the dice on potentially hours worth of work. It wouldn't be worth it.

user upthread was right when he said MMOs used to be about being who you want to be. That was what made them great. I'm genuinly surprised at the amount of MMOs that want to have narrative plots. It's completely missing the point. I'll never get over how stupid it is to have an MMO with thousands of players straight up tell you "you are the chosen one" and know full well that every single person in the world is "the chosen one" because they all have to do the same story quests to progress their character. It's missing the point of the genre entirely. It's like devs who make 4 hour "cinematic" experience games. You are in the wrong business. The story in MMOs should come from the players actions. If you want to have an over-reaching narrative then have GMs log on and lead players through it in a reactive way. Change it based on what players do… Even if that means the story never progresses because players can't do the thing they need to do.

You already agreed with me.

You were waiting 5 hours for a group to form, it was more of a "I can't fucking do anything else might as well talk" more than an actual goal. and 90% of players in prontera were AFK at all times

And that forged communities.

not at all, it forged people being bored and talking. Small talk doesn't forge jack shit, It's like being in a jury selection, you talk for a few hours because you're bored and then never talk again.

Ragnarok Online before renewal was and still is one of the best MMOs out there.

WOW WAS NEVER FUCKING GOOD, ISN'T GOOD AND NEVER WILL BE

maybe you were just the weird guy who never got invited back.

Look, I'm sure when you were 14 you thought that every group was forever in RO, or you only remember the ones that stayed together. A ton of them fell through even before getting to the point of being able to do anything, and that's just a waste of time.

It was/is actually faster to solo than to group if you knew what you were doing. One word [b]Flywings.[/b]

Meridian59 is where it started and ended, as far as I'm concerned. I spent a bit of time playing UO, EverQuest and DAoC when they first came out and it was fun for a bit but lack of community and the huge time requirements really killed spirit of these games along with the subpar PvP dynamics. It really was an afterthought in these games, except maybe for UO but I never could get into the 3rd person view. All the mmorpgs that came after Meridian felt like carrot-on-a-stick games that lured folks in with graphics, huge worlds and bullshit like flaming swords that took countless hours just to acquire.

Save it for your blog.

I was talking more MVPs and lategame farming in RO than leveling.

There's a reason why botting was massively prevalent in those games, the time investment to do anything that required a group was obscene and you're just nostalgic for your youth, the games had massive flaws that should never be repeated

I don't blame them. Look at the average retard that plays vidya now. I would give up on MMOs a long time ago if that was the pool of people that played!

Most of those people won't even touch an MMORPG. The average normalfag lacks taste. I know of an IRL example of such a person. Even the plebbitor in our company has better taste in vidya.

What are you talking about normalfags love muh social gaming experience

By that I mean games like UO or Meridian 59 or that weird were you pay 10 bucks per character slot. In short anything that resembles a MUD.

Not the ones that actually need you to roleplay or don't have some wiki attached to it. My example is only playing AAA stuff on Nintendo machines while scoffing at the idea of checking out anything niche.

Holy fuck, let go.

But that MUD is still a thing. So is Meridian 59 in its open sauce incarnation.Just look at that:
openmeridian.org/

Now tell me where I was wrong beyond greentext one liners.

botting is so time and resource inefficient especially if you've got wealth stored up from a previous character. Bots can't AoE level and shitters like me dead branching the fuk outa botted maps.

Still Fuck bots, crashing the low end materials and item market so you can't make money off common items.

Why do they even play MMOs at all.

I only responded in greentext one-liners because that's all your halfassed comments warranted.

Something in this line. My friend was looking for an game he (and to some extend we) could latch onto after GW2 turned out to be shit.

What was your friends first MMO

Back to something else then. I don't know what the fuck your problem with this thread in general is, but your problem with me is your base assumption that I feel nostalgic for any oldschool MMORPG. I have actually never played them that much. I am familliar with the flaw of the genre post WOW, because I have dragged into 4 of them by my friend and checked out Dungeon Fighter Online.

Speaking of comparing niche games to the endless legions of retards who spend money on the likes of GW2 and WOW; Jokes on you! MMORPGs were a niche genre even back then. I have never heard of millions and millions of people playing them back in the day.

Guild Wars 1 and WoW as far as I know.

And that's when they were good. The fans that stuck with it knew what they were in for. Now the modern MMO player shrieks for more access like a mirror universe Tingole. You can hide in your MUDs all you want but you can't ignore the simple fact that if you want preWoW mmos again you need to remove the crowd from your hobby that is dragging it down. However that boat may have sailed a while ago seeing as how modern devs would rather have that open access mindset from the game's conception. In short, fuck you for being either an idiot or a cuck who can't tell your friends no. Don't go taking the high road while saying you indulged yourself in 4 cases of garbage. You could have warned your friends, you could have set an example but instead you folded faster than a fucking folding chair.

The creator of Meridian59, Andrew Kirmse, still runs the "real" servers (101/102) distinct from the server 103 open source project ran by redditor tossers. There's also a German server or two out there but I don't have the links for them.

meridian59.com/

It's true that they were niche even back then. Peak games had hundreds of thousands, not millions of players.

GW1 is a unique game, nothing else like it exists. I recall a dev stating in an interview that the combat system was modelled after Magic the Gathering which you can definitely tell from the gameplay. If you haven't played it maybe you can make him play that with you.

For WoW. There's like a million WoW clones. He could play any of them really, or… just go back to WoW. It's still very popular. But I'm guessing you don't want to be dragged into that.

Maybe you don't even want to play an MMO. Most of the newer MMOs that are fun aren't really MMOs at all. Just multiplayer online games e.g. Dungeon Fighter, Vindictus, Black Desert Online.

I could use some help getting one of the Asheron's Call 1 emulators running. I think I have the server resources and bandwidth to host maybe ~150 players or so… which would probably be more than enough for a Holla Forums AC server.

Anyone?

Finally a real reply. Was that so hard?

I don't even play. Congratulations to the high quality research.

So your argument boils down to "its popular, now it sucks!"? Funny that you don't mention how there is no middle market. Also wasn't there multiple posts complaining about WoW babies demanding bullshit from WoW although it wasn't part of the concept. Don't forget other factors that have fuckall to do with gaming I won't spoonfeed you, because you sound like you are on the brink of sperging out on me and especially because they in principle offtopic. I won't go on a genocide crusade over fucking video games.

Guild Wars 1 wasn't actually that bad, I told him to go fuck himself with that gook MMO and then I outright told him that I stopped playing GW2, because it turned into utter shit. I also told him to suck a cock whenever he peddled some AAA garbage. I ignored the invitation to play some EVE. After all, I know who else was playing that. All this and much more in polite fashion, because I am not that autistic.

As I did by not playing at all and suggesting and playing better games. I won't show you my gog and steam accounts, because you strike me as some creep who is prone to doxing. I'd better not waste your time with these.

Magic sounds like a neat alternative from what you have written. And no, I won't get dragged into WoW. I didn't say much against MMOs that are OK. I playing one that is popular here. The genre as it is now has its flaws that can be all traced back to WoW however.

I forgot that popularity only makes an IP or a hobby better! I doubt I could cite any game that has been ran into the ground when it became popular to the normalfags
I guess foresight is only an autistic trait. :^)

Yes. Being in a lively, bustling world without normalfags was great and as shitty and grindy as the games were, there were no cash shop solutions for everything like "buy your level 80 character today, goyim"

Back to the other thing. How does it feel to be so autistic to mistake "You strike me as X" with "I think you are X"?

Now you are just being an idiot for the sake of being an idiot, right?

Have you ever wondered how you are supposed to function around ordinary people, let alone normalfags? Just a funky question that popped into my mind.

In fact I would say you are the reason why MMOs are dead. Why bother having critical thinking skills and figuring out why MMOs are terrible now when you have a MUD? :^)

Maybe you miss the company of real people. Don't worry, you can always go outside instead of shitposting smug anime girls at some guy you disagree with over MMOs.

No amount of passive aggressive remarks will change the fact that MMOs are dead and the modern gamur killed it.

Looks like we are destined for doing that forever. I hope you don't screech and sperg like manlet tears.

You know the little guy has a lot problems due to his anger issues. I really hope for you don't make weird noises in front of the computer.

You can always stop it. All you have to do is not greentext like a retard and let the thread continue in a organic way.

One request that has something to do with the dialogue. Could you please stop assuming that I play fucking MUDs because I brought them up as a actual predecessor of MMOs.

So you don't play muds but say that MMOs are fine because they exist? See why I don't bother with more than a single line of text?

I used to play a lot of MUDs

I know you are bored and it is reasonable to assume that you are weeb, but >>>/jp/ is there, not here.

MUDs are actually cool. I played a shit ton of Pimp Wars over 2 decades ago. Fun times.

Maybe you can research the actual root problem with the genre. Entertain yourself with evolutionary psychology!

it's called the modern gamur and their incessant need to casualize everything. I mentioned it earlier but you must have been really upset or had no intention of talking normally if you missed it. According to you though, i'm just an autist so why are you putting so much stock into what i'm saying? :^)

My sides.

No reason to derail the thread further. Its obvious you are too fucking assburger to stop replying to me. Why should you stop? Some autists are programmable that way, like a computer in a shit SciFi movie. I remember how I have done that to Spergwood. Fun times, fun times.

Get a room, you two.

You sure showed me Mr. guildwars 2.

People who obsess over what retards do are wasting their time in order to feel superior in their poor life choices. Use the opportunity to extricate yourself from the things that are allowing you to continue ruining your life. Mote in thy brother's eye and all that.

Not knocking what you said, because it's true. I just find irony funny.

It's intentional, you have to say things in the places where people gather who need to hear them. As a reformed sinner I don't have interest in preaching to a choir.

Seriously, though. Quit spergging over faggoty games. Turbine promised to release the AC server/client to the public, then WB reneged and shut down the servers almost 1yr ago.

Let's do this.

This. There has to be some documentation somewhere… and here it is!
github.com/ACEmulator/ACE

Not necessary. If you read the entire dialogue again, you might find out why.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to touch any retard that willingly bought Guild Wars 2.

pso1 tied rare drops to enemies. Depending on your charatcer ID the enemy has a table that drops an item for that ID. It allowed different players to hunt different enemies for a unique or same item. Certain players could only hunt X item, which allowed for barter trading to occur naturally for another person's Y item.

In another mmorpg top down 2D, (similar to Ultima 4): After leaving noob island at level 5, you have the whole 2 continents to explore which encompass the entire world. No area is restricted via quests or levels. Your only restriction from moving to stronger monster spawn areas is your elemental armor and elemental weapon. If you have a fire weapon and ice resist armor, you can venture to winter wonderland around lvl 20 and level up pretty good, as opposed to venturing there at lvl 35 with no ice resist and no fire weapons.

There were almost zero quests in the game except for a few in the beginning, which greatly help in exp gain and weapon mastery levels. No quests means no need to read text and zones are not restricted by questing. Simply fight and get drops.

Once you kill ice enemies they drop ice weapons which you can use on hell mobs which are greatly stronger, and definitely require ice wep + fire resist armor to level up. It was fun to progress through the areas, obtain a set of armor, move on and repeat.

Silvest was a small noob island, Korelth was the northwest Continent, and Parian is the mainland continent on the southeast side. All the while this happens, you could get looted by player criminals.

I meant to say similar to Ultima 5 graphics, not 4.

Uh fuck, second link was supposed to be

No minimap.
No map.
No quest markers.
No quest log.
No zone instancing. No dungeon instancing.
Quest give little to no XP.
Death penalty.
Items on corpse. Corpses decay with real time.
No fast travel, or very limited fast travel.

All this means you have to explore, figure out where things are, talk to NPCs, and actually read the text for clues of what to do next.

Instancing = not a real MMO. It's a loot theme park with a well-worn path. So every single "modern MMO" isn't a real an MMO. Massively Multiplayer. It's right in the name. 8, 15, 32 -> not massive by any stretch of the meaning of the word. Might as well be a Call of Duty game with a shitty lobby.

Leveling through quests, along with all of the modern hand-holding ruined MMORPGs. The single worst set of changes that were made. Rats hitting feeder bars for fake rewards.

No consequences. Death has no meaning. There is nothing on the line. Never in danger of losing gear (rare gear is the only thing worth anything in these games). Really, at this point, why play?

Fun? You're confusing old school with some elitist jerkoff fantasy that I'm sorry to say never existed. I agree that handholding is bad and it's probably the thing that ruined WoW among others but basic quality of life UI or whatever is hardly cancerous.

Ultima Online was this, but it had a minimap.
There was no exp on that game, your relevant skills leveled up as you used them. Quests were for items or to unlock areas. Everything else is in that anons "fantasy"

Son, it existed. I played it.
you outed yourself. go back to playing skyrim.

I'm actually pretty keen on touring current year UO again when this comes out. Though it's a little painful to know my house has collapsed and some vultures made away with all my items. I had two skill stones too not sure if you can even get those outside of special events.

You remind me of this old film where two fags are arguing which is better USA or SU. The first one went to US and came back after years and as he's talking about their standard, technology and whatever he's called out by this pro soviet commie who never left their village. "I lived in New York for twenty years!" "So what? I dream of Moscow every night!!"

I suppose Runescape vaguely counts as well.

Thanks brosef. I'm checking it out now.

I don't remember why I liked it, but I know I wish I could go back with the experience I have now.

duh

There will never be another Everquest. It had massive risks associated with death and other mistakes and to do well you had to actually learn the game via in game chat channels. There was little to no consumer internet content back then and only ubergeeks had the skills to post spoiler content to the web. Some encounters were so difficult the devs were not sure they could be beaten and that was fine with them. They did not give the first fuck about what the players wanted - they knew they were dealing with people who needed to be forced to take on challenges rather than catered to. They also had very few real competitors so they felt no need to cater to players who want phatlewtnowplzplz. It was a game truly for the no-lifers and required huge investments of time to level up and savvy politics to organize raiding. The difficulty and learning curve were far higher than anything since, and as such had a small mostly adult market. It was fucking amazing and there has not been a game like it since. The mass market prefers much shorter sticks on their carrot and stick systems nowadays. Wow is similar in concept to EQ but dumbed down for the mass market and more kid friendly. The average Holla Forums customer demands faster gratification than a game like EQ provided. That combined with the simplicity of posting spoiler info online now makes MMORPGs pretty much garbage.

There are three big pre-WoW MMOs that are known for their different approaches.

Ultima Online, which is still the only real MMORPG in the sense that you could play a dumbass lumberjack and still have interesting experiences and contribute to the game. It really was more of a life simulator than anything else. Got ruined by EA, like everything else they touch. Has a hardcore PvP crowd still, mostly found on freeshards. (The servers are called "shards" because there is an actual lore explanation for them - Each one is a copied but self-contained world.)

Everquest: What WoW copied and essentially casualized. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Strong focus on PvE. Extremely tedious to play by modern standards but because it was so tedious you had to socialize, form groups and generally not be a complete cocksucker at either interacting with people or playing the game. That's the part WoW removed, by the way.

DAoC: Basically like Everquest but a little more modern and with a big focus on PvP instead. WoWs battlegrounds wish they could be DAoCs Realm versus Realm.

lumberjack wasn't dumb, gained bonus to axe weapons which stacked with swordsmanship you damn pleb!

I meant in the sense of a low intelligence character, friendo.

fucking pleb.

Reminder that they added fucking elves to UO.

Why must you make these threads? Why must you make me remember?

We all played it and we all liked it, because it was extremely cookie-cutter and Vanilla at least had some of the old EQ atmosphere with its raids.

I hate this nu-Holla Forums "X WAS NEVER GOOD (Ignore the fact that everyone on Holla Forums liked it a few years ago.) shit.

Lumpenproletariat-tier

All the good pvp'ers left to Asheron's Call after the pre-casting shank.

Wishes it could match Asheron's Call scope.

I tried Asheron's Call 2 and it was the RvR that made me go back to AC1. Admittedly DAoC debuted with more modern graphics than AC1, but I'm not sure about any comparisons after AC1's graphics update patch. Also, the scope of both AC1 and AC2 dwarf DAoC.

IMHO AC1's guild monarchy allegiance system ironically beat RvR without any in-game realm mechanics. On the PvP-only server Darktide you could kill your guild-mates any time. Which could mean anything from guilds that practiced PvP to faggots that cried about being teamkilled.

Anyway. I guess for this AC1 server emulator I need a Windows development machine. I'll see what I can do.

I knew somebody would bring up AC when I wrote that post.

Because you know I'm right.

FWIW I'm like 99% one of the bigger guilds from AC1 went and made Darkfall Online. I was busy with work when it came out and peaked and never got to play, but some of my old guild (UO Banana Boyz, AC1 Blood) still plays that I think…

New Gargoyle Race is pretty cool tbh.

No we didn't. Alot of us stuck around with older MMOs till they died because developers were making the game more WoW like, reluctantly caved in coz everyone else played WoW, stoppped playing MMOs all together or stopped playing games at all.

I recall getting scammed by moonportal once. Step in moon portal to reach buyer, surrounded by murderers, they kill me and take all my wood. I was so fucking mad, then laughed, then learned.

No shit. I shouldn't need to explain to you that with "We all" I was referring to "a large number", not literally "every single person on Holla Forums". The fact is that WoW attracted a lot of attention from old school MMO players and a lot of them enjoyed it up to a point. Saying that "WoW was always shit" is simply a retarded attempt at revisionism. I have seen the same tactic when people talk about Minecraft these days.

No, MMO players by large didn't like it. WoW Attracted non-MMO players to the game. Due to the commercial success this has corrupted the MMO genre into single player online games with glorified coop.

Many known raid guilds switched to Wow from older MMOs. You can't build up the quasi-professional organization these guilds had from nothing, especially not if you're a MMO newcomer. Whether or not this was good is another question. I mean Tigole had a reputation for a reason.

Those were the minority of people going to WoW. The vast majority of WoW players were non-MMO players. WoW was the first MMO for the overwhelming majority of WoW players. Those guilds also only really came from EQ and the like. There was little reason for a UO or DAOC player to ever move to WoW.

anarchy online was probably my favorite pre-wow mmorpg. i really liked how you could customize your character in a variety of ways with the skill system; you can make your doctor a decent dual-pistol damage dealer, or turn your martial artist into a good healer, make a character that is almost entirely about tradeskills of all kinds etc. it's ugly as sin but it had a lot of charm and every couple years i reinstall it and play around for a couple weeks

I hate to tell you that, but you had to draw your maps, because there was no space for it on the game disk. How about a system like Etrian Odssey where you have enter everything that goes beyond the basic shape of the map?

Could it be that the majority only provided the footsoldiers for the old MMO players? I have seen the same kind of dynamic with oldfags and newfags during the heydays of /i/. Whenever we needed reinforcements, some clown was send shilling to 4cuck.

Earth and Beyond was pre-WoW, It got cancelled by EA, but you can download an emulator and play for free. there is still development by fans and occasional input from old Devs.

Mah NIGGA!
I'm playing it right now, download net-7

PSO1 is not an MMO

Does Guild Wars count? It was made during the same time, came out only like five months after so I don't know.

Then i'll call it an MORPG, because its online, and it has multiplayer. Its just not "massive" and has no open world.

The Realm was "fun" and had some cool features like your own house, pickpocketing people, etc.

When people would leave the game, they'd announce it in the public channels and everyone would show up on their lawn and hang out until the owner opened the front door and you'd rush in and look over all the owners stuff to grab. It was good having a cable modem back in '98. The coolest part was how people would repurpose things. Like there was no such thing as a rug, but if you dropped a wolf pelt it looked kind of like a spot of carpet, so you could carpet your house by dropping furs everywhere.

Thats the thing thats missing from games these days, I think. Everything is overproduced and shiny, click the menu option to carpet your house, no room for personal expression or DIY.

It sounds like theres been a revival and the game is still going on

Oh and you could rename your items anything you wanted, and dye them, so there was a brisk trade in scamming, since you could name an item to be something more powerful, and dye it to match. So of course there were middlemen that acted like escrow. Humans filling in the gap before the mechanics were available.

See you niggers at Habitat

F

AIM will also be shutting down in less than a month

github.com/Museum-of-Art-and-Digital-Entertainment/habitat/commit/6f54b01b6d72deb081c24390c62ebfd9105e9e69
Here is the source code btw

And here's an hour and a half of gameplay footage. Early online services are truly fascinating

does RuneScape count

Vanilla WoW was shit aswell, it's just nostalgia-faggotry. The problem with Wow is that there was a lack of actual Role Playing, you know, the main fucking genre the game was in. Instead you were forced to have a set gear for your role, you were forced to use certain spells, in a certain order, there was no fun and no role-playing in that type of gameplay, because it became more like you have to act like a robot to play the game if you want to do fun stuff after you reached the max-level.

I can bet your ass, he's the faggot who was behind the idea of everything being geared towards max-level content. That wasn't where the game excelled or was fun though. They made the whole levelling-experience to a grind-fest and especially with the double-xp bs.

Old MMORPGs basically forced you to create reliable tribes because death sucked ass. Good times. Survival sandbox games are the evolution of that I guess but they just don't appeal to me, probably on account of the depression.

I've played in the Golden Age. Can't describe how glorious it was.

Patrician taste

yes, but Holla Forums screeches autistically about the GE whenever oldschool is brought up

Gee Runescape would be so much better if there was an automatic queue for quests and skilling so you don't have to do anything or think for yourself, an I right guys?

haha totally xd

To sum things up:
1. MMO genre is intended to be enjoyed with lots of people;
2. But loners get triggered when they're too many;
3. Hence only the niche little MMOs are acceptable.

Which is called the weeb bottleneck effect, as in Neptunia's Law. "Given enough time, all vidya discussion with Holla Forumsirgins degenerates into shitflinging about favorites, until the only game left standing is Neptunia or some other untouchable waifushit".

People shitfling about Neptunia or Senran Kagura all the time though. Besides the die-hard fans most understand they're not amazing games.

Lineage 2 Revolusion is a perfect time waster. The game even plays itself

To piggyback off of this if you don't want mobileshit:
Holla Forums's resident Lineage 2 classic shill here. Currently a live Autumn 50% exp promotion going on to help new players out along with a plethora of QoL promotions to ease a new player into the game.
It's an official rerelease hosted by Innova and is a great time for newfags to join if you liked L2 originally. It receives constant updates and has a differing dev cycle than the original, so it's not just "muh retail Interlude server" again.

I can't remember the last MMO that let me drop items on the ground…

good times.

You are right except for the second point. Think of the average gamur that plays MMOs. Do you want to play with those fucks?

Star Sonata was my favorite. Tibia before the Brazilians took over and macros became a thing was also great.

WoW literally killed the MMO genre. Everything about that game is a steaming pile of shit.

WoW literally had FAR less social interaction than any other MMO before it. The fact that players were split between two factions was a huge part of it. You can't even talk to people on the other faction. It was much better before WoW when most games had every character start out the exact same and let you branch that character into whatever you wanted. WoW's class/race and faction restrictions were fucking retarded.

You can play lineage 2 on a phone now and it has autoquesting. You can have your character play the whole game for you. It's the future.

Is this bait?

literally this, oldie mmo were fun because of the human element, and the inherent stupidity that comes with the internet
but besides that, it becomes pretty obvious that the sole purpose of the game is just grinding to get more stuff to grind with
its fun when you do it with friends and troll about, but its pretty much pointless, why I'd never played other MMO or online competitive game after

WoW is basically the same thing
only in the glorified not-warhammer world, with gud graphics (for the time), and with a hefty subscription fee
you gotta be a literal retard to have played WoW, and a mental patient if you still do play it

Ragnarok Online
Sense of community
Each class is unique, no homogenization
sense of wonder and exploration
getting gear/cards is rewarding because there's effort, not welfare
PvP is group-oriented and teamwork based, not single player vs single player, or a collection of singleplayers vs singleplayers. PvP is designed for each unit to have its role and work as a group.
the fucking amazing soundtrack
early action-based MMO was hot and new back then, before the wow formula became king
beautiful spritework

good one

very very very dumbed down muds to be specific..

I hope you won't hit your moms with chairs anytime soon, anons.

oh god don't remind me of Everquest. I knew some dude in vocational school who played that nonstop and never left the house except for class.

if he made it out of the house he was doing better than several people in knew.

net-7.org/

With all the WoW rip-offs, has anyone tried ripping off Runescape? Was it not popular enough to rip off? It had plenty of good things to rip off like the simple combat and the skill system. Jagex almost competed with themselves with Mechscape / Stellar Dawn, but that cancelled.

It still has thousands of players.

I think the most definitive feature of Runescape was that it was basically a point and click adventure game, but online. Seems like it'd be easy to take that idea and make it even better by making interactions with other players more than just trading and PvP.

jet-skiing?

There was a F2P Runescape clone WAY back, like 2001/2002 or so. It didn't last long and was loosely futuristic instead of fantasy. I have no idea what it's called, but man it was a total rip off of RS.

That's when RS launched. Probably just a coincidence.

Faggots, the lot of you.

If it's the same game I'm thinking of, I remember it looking so much like RS Classic that it could only have been intentional.

This shows the absolute state of MMOs.

Runescape is the second of the most popular MMOs next to WoW. Yet the entire genre now is defined by WoW and there isn't a single MMO that comes even close to the way Runescape works.

Mabinogi

I've played Everquest on P2002 emulator. The game is hasn't aged that well. It has numerous QoL issues, most blatant probably being the fact that you need to check your spellbook before buying spells to see if you already know it. Crafting is massive clickfest to the point where I got paid big sum (for low-level player) to craft things from materials you can buy from NPC vendors. Also materials and components tend to share identical inventory icons. Fixing these and other UI-related stuff could have sufficed to make game more modern instead of Sony trying to turn it into WoW clone after seeing how Blizzard effectively started printing money with it.

Main appeal of P2002 (and the highly unlikely hypothetical MMORPG that I'd make someday) is probably the fact that game indeed IS hard and tedious but that makes it feel like players as a community are fighting the game together.

Mabinogi never really felt the same as Runescape. It wasn't as detailed and interactive and the entire Iria continent was fucking empty. The only thing that was similar between the two was they had non-combat skills and the way both games handled them was completely different.

Bet you fags say MOBA instead of ASSFAGGOTS too.

It supposedly gets more fun at max level? I quit WoW at like level 20 after forcing myself to play even that much because I was hoping it'd get better soon. What kind of jackass gears an MMO towards the max level? The WHOLE POINT of an MMO is the journey. The max level is the end where you're done with the game, not the other way around. God damn retards.