Saturday witching hour horror thread

No

I generally prefer unknown evolving creatures type deals where you're dealing with way more then you can actually handle

I say they can so long as it's different kinda jump scare then typical ones

pls

not that I can think of tbh

Anything that has ghosts or supernatural beings
I feel that its overused, so no.
Haven't played any but i might pick up Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
webm related

What did Konami mean by this?

Fair warning then - it has jump scares, though maybe not in the conventional sense. They're not screamers, it's just that there's no combat so a lot of ghosts are OH SHIT, RUN! At least they're creative both visually and in gameplay, Night Alone was fairly one-trick pony gameplay wise.

Why wasn't there a necromorph outbreak on Earth following the discovery of the original Terran Marker?

Subtle horror that makes you feel like you don't fucking belong here.
Only if there is one or two AT THE VERY MOST and it is woven into the game well like the girl playing the instrument behind the screen in Fatal Frame 1 or the Hospital room in Silent Hill 3.
No. Replaying Fatal Frame 3.
Monster Party. Though I think the Ultra TMNT game on the NES is okay so I have chronic case of shit tastes.

I don't really know. I can like just about any horror so long as it is done well.
Yes, see pic related
That's I've come across, or that has recently come out? If it's the former, no, not really. If it's the later, I've heard Yomawari 2 is good.
I always thought Killer7 really threaded the edge of being a horror game, even though it apparently isn't.

Well, I played it after some user shilled it in a webm thread. It's ok but you have to know it's a die and retry and doesn't go for subtlety at all (pic related). But, it's quite creative with its Japanese monster designs and little meta tricks.

Bleak world, subtly encroaching feelings of dread, body horror, isolation

I recently played Until Dawn, which was fucking overloaded with jump scares in the first half, but dialed them down significantly as the game went on. Of course they didn't work, but it felt like it served the overall idea - the characters develop greatly over the course of the game, revealing that they're far more than the one-dimensional dumbass youths they're presented to be at first. The game's approach to scaring you unfolds similarly - the jump scares are phased out, just as the whole 'psycho serial killer' aspect morphs into the reveal of the wendigos. I applaud the game for that.

pic related

Max Payne, specifically the drug-induced psychosis of the first game

The first Dead Space novel, Martyr, reveals what happened when the Marker on Earth was discovered by Altman. There was a small outbreak, but it was covered-up by the government and inadvertently lead to Altman gaining 'Martyr' status and the rise of Unitology.

However it's been years and I may be recalling it falsely.

Decaying worlds, psychological elements(insanity etc.), Ghosts and creepy children
If used very sparingly, sure.
Nah.
Stalker I suppose. Play Wind of Time. The new labs are great.

Just started Winds of Time like 10 minutes ago, this translation is fucking JP2-tier, some nigger mercs stole my shit, gave me a glock, and told me to go play in an anomaly to fetch a package.

Don't worry, user, it gets worse soon.
Seriously though machine translation is a thing with russian mods, get used to it. Despite it's obvious flaws it's a worthwhile journey.

Nope. But zombies is my most reviled one. (plz devs; think of something else)

Yes, but they have to be rare and (relatively) unexpected.

Is Soma recent? I liked it, anyway.

Uhh … pic related (not sure if qualifies as horror theme)

user this is a vidya board.

Pirate it, it's published by NISA.

what a shit fucking game I can't believe people liked it

I like uncanny valley in general I suppose would be a good way of explaining it.
Enemies that look human and twitch about and stuff, kind of like the wife in P.T.

When they don't rely on loud noises that break my ear. The big head in Silent Hill 4 was a pretty good jumpscare.

Not that I can think of off the top of my head.

Probably Stalker, because that's the one that popped up in my head.

Yeah, some people have tastes that differs from yours.

Fuck off and go waste your life on walking simulators, tasteless cuckchanner.

oh really? shit my whole life has been a lie

Stalker confirmed for cancer.

I wish Resident Evil stuck to zombies (and maybe dogs), it's always a disappointment when the bulbous flesh piles and frog people show up. Just do more with the regular zombies, make the player learn them as an obstacle before disposing of them and make getting rid of them more of a puzzle element in some rooms.

I think that's an issue with the lore of the game and fan expectations but in that sense, the games with a "new" virus always seem just a throw away idea at best tbh, also the fact that the games became an action series after 3 really just makes zombies even worse of an enemy type due to them just being fodder which is what zombies do best sure but when you're doing lots of stupid moves punching them and knifing them, zombies stop being a element the player acknowledges tbh

it is a trash game though tbh

Did you get to the mine yet?

Does anyone remember that one dungeon crawler horror game for the vita? Did that come out yet? I can't remember the name of it, but I think it was made by the same creator of Demon Gaze.

For the sake of interest, how does user feel about abandoned mansions and hospitals in horror games?

some user was shilling this "horro-roguelike" in other thread
Its still in demo stages

"roguelike"

I found it. Does anyone know if this is getting a western release?

Detention isn't a bad little indie game, user. At least the first hour or so is unsettling and does a good job at instilling fear, even if it digresses and falls apart in the gameplay department by the end.

Media is either good or bad. There are many different types of media of which many works are good or bad. You like something which is objectively terrible from a specific type of media, and are trying to conflate "good/bad" with "it's different media". You and everyone who uses that argument, image etc. are irredeemable faggots.

Kill yourself and return to cuckchan

some lestplayer is posting vids on it it under the name "deathmark"

let's not forget the indonesian one hit wonder

Looks very tight budget but I can see it being worth checking out if the direction is on point.

I just zoned into Yantar. There don't actually appear to be any respawns, which is neat I guess, although that has me fucking worried about supplies.

I'd do the quests in red forest, because they are quite interesting and you get some money/supplies.

>Amidst sea of hipsters and (((collectors))) find one stall selling games cheap

now gotta wait a fucking fortnight for the memory card.

lewds never ever

The Marker fell to earth and made a huge crater in mexico which over thousands of years merged with the sea and became a huge lake. Every so often a dead person ends up in the lake and the local folklore has taught people to deal with them.
In the book theres an early example where a sailor or something is killed in a brawl and dumped in the lake by drug dealers or something. a few days later a kid finds him turning into one of those hunched over balloon lung air poisoning ones and the local granny gets a mob together and from a distance they stone it to death then burn the body 'like our ancestors taught us to do'.

Later theres an outbreak inside a facility its moved to thats firebombed but for the most part its been contained because low population numbers in the area and ancient south americans were violent fucks that kill shit on sight no questions asked.

The most recent quest I have there is from Fanatic telling me to go find some ghost guy at night, but as far as I know, there's no way to sleep, so I've been running around Yantar popping zombies while waiting for it to get dark.

Beds? As far as Red Forest is concerned, there is one in the little duty outpost by the bridge to limansk. Did you clear the northern mine yet though? What did you think of it? Not that spectacular tbh, but I did it just after arriving in Red Forest and all I had was a shitty shotgun.First real firefight in the mod(apart from the pseudodog in Limanks) and the mod trows that at you.

I haven't found a single bed yet, and I think I've done everything there is to do in red forest except lower the bridge, since I have no idea what that quest wants me to do. I just blew up the miracle machine in yantar a few minutes ago, turned in the quest, got my free trashbag suit, went back to the factory to grab a stash, saw some little midget fucks, knifed one, and it exploded and killed me.

As for the mine, it wasn't too bad, since right after I talked to the duty outpost, I watched a group of loners get eaten by dogs and one of them had a spas in 80%+ condition.

How the fuck do I lower the bridge?

What? There's a bed in the house by the bridge to linmansk. Of course there's also a bed in yantar in the scientist bunker. There's quite a few beds in this mod.
You find some toolkit in the mine that helps you lower the bridge. Than just click f on the little crane thingy on the left to the actual bridge. At least pretty sure that's where you find it. Maybe in the little room below the mine? It's there somewhere I believe.

I just started playing it, and machine translation doesn't exactly help with knowing what to do in quests.

I actually thought most of the quests were rather straight forward(the ghost quest not so much). What quest are you having trouble with?

I can't actually interact with any of those beds.

So far I'm now having any real trouble, I just follow the markers on the map and hope for the best.
It's just that it's like a puzzle game trying to decipher the butchered english and sometimes russian words sprinkled throughout.

One of the beds works, m80. Not all of them but one does. The one on the right from the door? I could be wrong though.

I see.

Hope you're ready for those digits to get checked fag.

As much as I appreciate their grand buttblasting of Tomm Hulett, their otherworld autism has never really convinced me, nor did their assessment that tank controls weren't clunky on purpose.

Did the white day remake actually have denuvo? I recall there was some debate over this.

What about non-paranormal horror scenarios?

Doing so nets you an achievement

Enderal actually did this in a way, the difference being that you could not save your partner from being raped regardless of how frantically you cut your way through the monsters between you and her, and the difference also being that said partner turns into a demon when she sufficiently flips her shit and raped her rapists right back

horror=/=your fetish

I'm serious with this (safe for the achievement part). That one scene in Enderal actually had me burn through most of my healing potions while I frantically tried rushing back to the PC's female partner.

Seeing one of your party members getting killed unless you intervene is one thing. Seeing or hearing one being raped is something different entirely, especially if they previously took the cutesy role.

So uh, how do I get all of my money and artifacts back after I get robbed by the military in argropom underground? When I "spawned" in the anomaly field, I was given a quest to get my shit back and then it instantly completed. Is this broken?

It makes it needlessly edgy grimderp shit. What you wrote sounds like fetishitic cuckshit and I'd probably hard drop a game if its writing took a dump like that at any point.

Artefacts are in a box in the miitary base. It's one of the houses on the east side of the camp. You don't get your money back as far as I know, mybe I'm wrong.
Also, if you have another question post it in the stalker thread, because it's more likely that someone will see it there, me included.

Any horror with really interesting setting and environments that are not boring? I'm bored with the constant ugly places that horrors throw us in.

Also a different but similar question, what horrors use typical classic horror places as their setting? I mean stuff taken straight from Edgar Allan Poe. Old, beautiful but mysterious mansions, amazing gothic castles and so on and so forth. I know about Scratches, Amnesia and Black Mirror already.

Ever tried Rule of Rose? It has you start out in an old boarding school, then a Zeppelin and so on. Not really as old school as Poe, but still interesting as far as locations go.
If you have a wii(or know how to use dolphin) you could try out fragile dreams. It's not straight up horror really, but there are ghosts and some spooky stuff. It has a fairy tale atmosphere to it. Also, great levels(post apocalyptic world but somewhat dreamlike).

Amnesia was a game I enjoyed very much. That entire castle reeked of madness and evil and every level felt like you were going deeper and deeper into hell, with no hope of ever seeing daylight again.

It's amazing how fast a dev can go to shit once they get even one decent selling title out. I had some slight hope that The Hum might be a passable Amnesia like game with aliens, but shit's vaporware.

Haunting ground takes place in a manor as well.

SOMA was worth a pirate for sci-fi horror fans, and in today's market, that's really all you can ask for.

Not him but I love Rule of Rose and I want to play it again but roadblocks keep happening. Rule of Rose was he last game I preordered but I had to sell it (got a couple hundred) when my parents kicked me out. Now 30 years old and with my own place hopefully this won't happen again. Also fuck you dad.

I don't want to buy it again, because its even more than a couple hundred now. The hard drive I use in my PS2 to play isos shit out, and the replacement I bought from ebay isn't being recognized by either my IDE adapter or the PS2. Naturally, the game emulates like garbage as well.

I hear you can play burned cd's by booting your PS2 into McDonalds or whatever but I don't understand how that works.

I bought a ps2 with a chip on ebay for 15 bucks back in 2010, which has worked perfectly ever since. Not sure if you still get those somewhere.

Playing on PC sucks. I never liked it.
That said, what are some good horror games on consoles and handhelds?

The absolute state of Holla Forums right now.

Are there any spiritual successors to Silent Hill?

Nothing comes to mind, and I'm of the opinion the original trilogy is all the silent hill the world needs.

Subtle horror settings that where the cause is ambiguous, can be a logical reason or supernatural
Never
No
None

This gem.

Thief 2 was so much shittier than Thief for the horror aspect.

Silent Hill 3, is the only actual good horror game, ==let me explain== The thing is silent hill 3 tells a story through narrative, dialog, gameplay, and character. Without fucking up a single fucking step, the game isn't competently perfect, the filler parts are bad since it's just spooky monsters and nothing else.

Sure the monsters add to the story, but horror is an element of a story and gameplay, when you have it take center stage it becomes bad. Horror cannot carry a story at all, without it sucking massive wangs.

Silent Hill 3 also has puzzles, some actually really good ones. And some that either make you feel really fucking stupid or make you think what the fuck where they thinking.

But the balance out each other, so it's good.

Gameplay wise it's actually perfect, both story and gameplay, you play a girl who's pretty capable of handling herself on her own, but she's not super solder, but least she doesn't move like her father or the human clunk known as James, who might as well have tank treads for feet.

Story-wise, I argue heavily it's better than silent hill 2, one the acting is you know, good? They actually sound like people.

Also here's something I think is important. Silent Hill 3 tells the story to the player, Where Silent hill 2 Makes the player try to find it.

Look, I am here to see a and hear the story, not look the ass crack of a toilet for peace of cryptic bullshit and you wouldn't notice without prosperously going out of your way to notice.

When you telling a story, a narrative is stronger when it's direct because it's telling the story to the reader or listener.
When you add 4 wall elements and hide it under bullshit that you either just Google or play the words in your head until you sit and spin.

Then your left something less enjoyable because it's tainted by something outside and the writers basically trying to take your focus away from the actual story.

Overall, this is just my shitty opinion the game makes up for a lot of stuff because of all the elements at play, Really the horror isn't the real selling point of silent hill 3, it's a part of the overall game that sells it. Overall horror is an element and not something that should take center stage. Other things need to be at play to show that it can stand out.

user pls

Normally I ask you to back that up, but I know that you wont. Honestly really questioning why I come here. Since nothing actually ever really gets discuss on here, Holla Forums is just Holla Forums with a little less talk of wanting to fuck kids.
Also,

I'm only half baiting. Play the two back to back and tell me SH3 doesn't feel more like an asset flip (like kotor2 and new vegas) than a full game. Also Heather is a fucking terrible character and is both completely unrelatable and unlikable. Oh boy, some dumb rebellious cunt straight out of a late 90s gurl powr flick. Having a protag that everyone hates and wants to see killed just doesn't work for horror.

Also
You're about two and a half years late, lad.

shut your whore mouth, 3 was refreshing and better

vs
Lad…

I liked 4, though it was different.

Oh, it's you again. Opinion discarded.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ghost girls and witches are cute. Do you have a favorite horror game character who is also cute?

He is right you know? Heather is one of the worst things of SH3, everything else is really really good but she's just one of the worst characters in the game.

2 > 3 > 1 > 4 anyways.

If it makes you laugh, it's by definition quality comedy.

no.

nigger

I'm a dev fag who is trying to make a horror game walking simulator right now. What are some things that you absoluty love or loathe in horror games? Just want to make sure it won't suck too bad.

>lazy/shallow crouch to stealth mechanics

I could go on and on, but that's a pretty good start.

Oh, and those would all be things that I fucking despise. That's probably important to mention.

Check'd and noted, i already had some of these myself so its good i am on the right track. I will absolutely not include all of these. I am not sure how to correctly implement stealth though, because i absolutely want to give the player the option to sneak around. Should i just make the player being able to move slower regardless of them standing/crouching? Similar to counter strike.

A good stealth system has two parts, sound, and lighting. For an example of what a truly top-tier sound system is like, play the original Thief. Now re-creating something even close to that is way out of your league, but that should give you a basic idea of what you'd want to roughly approximate. Different materials should have different noise levels, with the overall level being modified by your movement speed. For movement speeds, Run > Walk > Crouch-run > Crouch-walk should be enough. You can get really creative with the level design and material placement to give the player more choices in how they go through an area. Do I take the short path with broken glass on a tile floor, or the longer carpeted path where I'll have to bypass an enemy?

The second element, lighting, is comparatively simple. First, the player needs a way to know how visible they are at that light level. Whether you want to add a light bar hud element, or put that on a character's watch that they can pull up at will, or some other creative way, the player needs this information. When the player is in perfect darkness, he should be functionally invisible unless he makes a sound. Anything other than perfect darkness, and you're going to draw an enemy's attention. Whether that be they catch a momentary glimpse, and shrug it off, or maybe they come to investigate, depends on the enemy and the situation, but that possibility should never be off the table. It's a delicate balance of giving the player a clear set of rules so that it feels fair (any mistake they make is obviously their own, as opposed to feeling like the game cheated them), and keeping a certain level of unpredictability in how a given threat will react to a sound or visual cue from the player.

Sadly i won't be able to create such sophisticated system, but including sound "traps" like glas and different ground materials isn't a problem. And well, Light/Darkness is not only hard to implement, but probably won't make much sense in my case anyways, considering it's a medium lit place. Dark enough for atmosphere but not full on dark corners. This was also one thing that pissed me off in Alien Isolation, "dark" areas where you're invisible to the enemy even though it's pretty visible to the naked eye, i don't want to repeat that. I will simply give the player plenty of stuff to hide behind, so instead of thinking "ah, there is a dark area i can hide in" the player will think "ah, there is a crate/barrel/whatever i can hide behind" and choose his sneaky route accordingly.

I hate walking simulators, specially horror walking simulators. they've ruined the genre

Corpse Party is great

If you think Heather is unrelatable, you're an alien. That's not even remotely up for debate since the core of her character is being a normal,relatable girl caught in something beyond her, a departure from James who's a guilt-wracked mess.

Id fuck that burger up.
YOU WANNA FIGHT ME, FAGGOT BURGER?

This game is pretty interesting with the variety of the settings it does.

Off the top of my head we had a derelict subway, amusement park, hotel (daytime), hydroelectric dam, and skyscraper, and research facility.

It's not a horror game in tone but it nails the sense of meloncholy that the apocalypse can evoke. It's one of the few wii titles I replayed a couple of times.

She's just a shittier, annoying version of Harry, and is even more autistic than James.

go ahead and try

Please don't pull the "Mad Scientist" thing. STASIS had a fairly interesting story, but then it turns out that, instead of the grey morality of experimenting on humans to improve standard medicine, you had the boring old mad scientist who, once more, wanted to create his superhuman, which actually were feral monsters

JUST FUCKING PLAY CONDEMNED ALREADY

I recently played Outlast for the first time, and it is jumpscare galore! I haven't played any other jumpscare-heavy horrors before, so this was pretty surreal.

Forbidden Siren I guess.

How do people enjoy that game? I was thoroughly disappointed when I played it.

Interesting story right up until the end where it shits the bed, and competent first person melee combat. Otherwise the investigation aspect was woefully underused.

The end ruins everything up until then. Especially since the final part is stretched out so long.
The combat is not good, which was my biggest disappointment. Going by what people said, it had good first-person melee combat. t doesn't. Especially not in a world in which Dark messiah exists. I just see no reason to play this game. It was a waste of my time and I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it.

Understandable. One of the worst sins in game design is to create a really shitty ending sequence, because when the player thinks about their experience with the game, that's going to be at the forefront. An abrupt ending is always better than a dragged out terrible one. As for the combat, DM:MM has very good first person melee combat. If that's your bare minimum threshold for acceptance, I can see why you'd be disappointed. Overall, I think had they just cut the ending and ran a cutscene, and replaced about a third of the combat with more investigation, you'd have a pretty great horror game.

I agree, that would make it a better game. That's not what we got though.

Yesterday I started playing Creeping Terror on the 3DS, If the game wasn't so easy it would be more frightening, but I guess is enjoyable and the art is pretty good.

Is there still a niche for a new low budget survival horror using old style graphics with pre-rendered backgrounds?

Do you guys have any games that mix horror and mystery genres together? Preferably something that feels like a paranormal mystery story. I would love to play or read or watch something that has a plot centered around creepy horror things but with an actual human culprit behind it who is fucking something up with some motive behind it. Imagine for example a game where a killer conducts series of murders that also turn the places he kills in into eldritch horrifying locations and you have to track down who he is. Bonus points if the eldritch locations are his actual goal and not a side-effect of his killings. Because let's be honest, horror and mystery writing overlaps often, some of horror stuff reads like a mystery novel with paranormal stuff happening around it for example scratches and I would really want to see more of that. Any suggestions?

Sadly true. I still think it's a solid 6.5/10 game, and would recommend it to horror fans who have already played the handful of good games out there.

The only remotely good indie horror game I can think of that came out in the last year is Darkwood and that one other title where you are chased by mannequins that move whenever you're not looking at them, and even the latter goes hard into the "no playtime for you" territory.

Well, Yomawari is kind of all about abject horror happening to cute lil' girls.

The important thing is it's a horror game that revolves around combat with your enemies, not these boring fucking walking simulators you see today. That's why I will shill Condemned wherever I can, to keep the memory of combat in horror games alive.

Nice. What is this game user?

I'd say that the choice whether you enter combat or not because you already are low on ammo and medkits is more important to build up tension.

Does it ever explain what happened to christianity, or was to why there's no one that's a christian believer in dead space. Cause in the video game and movies they make it out to be that everyone's a die hard atheist in a belief in nothing, or they are just put into the unitology.

I always saw condemned as a first person melee game with one or two horror sections, kind of an alternative to F.E.A.R.

Watch True Detective season 1

I loved condemned 1 because you were clunky and surrounded by druggies and freaks and FUCK the environments were good. and the main character knew how to shut the fuck up.

I bought condemned 2 and the very first thing is a wise cracking main character who knows kung fu, how retarded can you get?

You're describing FEAR 1. It's a good game and it's a little bit creepy, nothing too spooky, a couple jump scares to keep you on your toes. great combat, great story, spoopy atmosphere.

Every planet they found was dead with signs of ecological collapse. Along with the earth dying and running out of resources. It started an age of Nihilism with everyone assuming Earth was the next in line. No gods, no special case. Everything was a march to the endless sleep of the grave.

Then rumours started of a marker that raised the dead…

I want this meme to end. FEAR 2 had way better combat, it's just that enemies were less verbose so anons think the "ai" was downgraded when it was always scripted contextual bullshit from the start.