Video Games edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY 2ND
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Other urls found in this thread:

models-resource.com/3ds/pokemonsunmoon/model/18543/
volafile.org/get/pIIwM8Q7jv2g/GunsMW.tar.gz
stackoverflow.com/questions/3750124/how-to-convert-a-bitmap-font-fon-into-a-truetype-font-ttf
files-conversion.com/font/fon
dropbox.com/s/fm4w8urv645xm3l/SSERIFE.FON?dl=0
soundcloud.com/rottenhuman/salvagedsniper
gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/137727/glfw-window-freezes-on-title-bar-hold-drag
youtu.be/XEWmdRfG0xU?t=13m43s
youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Qnr2N9joE
stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
pastebin.com/XZhynuYU
store.unity.com/download?ref=personal
godotengine.org/article/dev-snapshot-godot-3-0-alpha-2
unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software
streamable.com/0zmpw
lyceum-allotments.github.io/series/
github.com/Zal0/ZGB
archive.is/vMjLF#selection-32533.0-32627.52
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CharacterController.html
unitylist.com/browse/all?search=character controller
youtube.com/watch?v=uqoX0WSE-SE
youtube.com/watch?v=LmS9vcVNr5A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I was offline during the weeks surrounding the big demo day. Were there any especially notable games that I should look at first before I begin digging through the links?

Here is the engine loading in the map that I made, I will have to add a lot of improvements soon.

make a tankette racing game

will you be able to use the cannon as the brakes / more throttle / sidedash?

I was thinking of allowing heavy customization where yeah you could have a cannon which would do that but you could also have a machine gun which reduces handling on other tankettes if fire is sustained or even a flak gun which blocks sight for abit, rocket lunchers which push everything it hits to a degree depending on how close you hit them, flame throwers which leave lingering flames that do worse slow and block for much shorter amount of time then the flak and machine gun.

thinking about it, there's alot to this so long as you get everything right about it

Making a street area. Currently thinking of how to decorate it

Finally. After weeks of thinking up algorithms during work hours and implementing them little by little in my free time, I've came to the point where the state update system is perfect. From here on it's mostly bugfixes and minor optimizations, all of which basically amount to implementing lookup tables. Basic mechanics-wise I was at this point three months ago, but I decided the game has to be a fucking technological masterpiece. In a tower defence game of all things. But hey, now if there's ever a situation where on the same frame the same projectile may hit multiple enemies, or an enemy would die before some of the projectiles would hit it, it will process it in the right order, so the projectiles wouldn't inexplicably phase through their targets to hit something behind them just because it was earlier in the loop. Also mid-frame projectile and enemy spawning with correct timing is nice, I could actually put in a gun that fires rounds faster than the main loop updates and it will process all of it properly.

I haven't yet implemented hitscan superclass, because it's basically a stripped down projectile superclass, and you could achieve the same effect by spawning projectiles with warpdrive velocities (yes that works) even though that's sub-optimal. Beam superclass isn't implemented yet either; it's mostly the same math as projectile but with a few quirks. Beam velocity across individual tracks is guaranteed to be nonlinear, splitting it up to linear segments using hyperbole tangents to compute optimal split segment lengths should do the job though.

I'm thinking about taking a few gun mods for Morrowind and hacking together a module that places guns throughout the world in the hands of npcs and in stores.

I'd imagine this would require a ton of tweaking to not come across as awkward. I remember a gun mod for Oblivion that was just a reskin of the staff

The animation for this revolver is a bit goofy, seeing as it's treated as a bow. The musket mod I have looks much better though.

This guy messaged me and got angry because he thought I painted that, I had no fucking idea who he was at the time but jesus he was mad as fuck especially when I tried to give him a new direction. I never meant come across as a dick, was I wrong in this situation I'm too autistic to tell.

thread got deleted, only have the thumb to the picture in mentions.

he got autistic with it and got the usual response to that kinda shit, no one wanted him to leave

I'm kind of sad that he ended up melting down over this, he was doing good work.

honestly I really liked his work

All I'm seeing is a one-sided conversation where he's aggressively accusing you of shit and being paranoid

I wish the coversation didn't end up with me blocking him, I really did think his work was good it's just he came off as agressive.

I really hope that he starts up a new project, if he chilled out a bunch he seems like the guy who I'd like to work with. He's obviously devoted to what he does, so it's no surprise he became emotionally charged for him.

How much time do you guys typically put into your games per day?

It's sad to see Tetradev go completely off the deep end like this. I don't think anyone would really hold his Automata rant against him if he kept posting here. Shit like this is only being made because he keeps perpetuating his persecution complex like this.

On a good day, anywhere from 6 to 7 hours.
On a bad day, one or two. I hope Tetradev comes back and gets back into the metaphorical saddle, the guy pushed himself.

He'll probably gitgud at 3D modeling, switch to unreal 4 and make a really badass looking michael jackson waifu game that plays like devil may cry killing cyborgs.

I have almost no time. In fact, I know that because I spent today working, I will have to work harder on the things that I'm putting off to make this time. In a few days I will have a lot more time, though.

Won't happen on a technical level, Tetrachrome uses a version of unity's engine that is really gutted out and uses a very specific pipeline. All of the levels are made in Radiant as Quake 3 maps and then get imported to Unity. Also, the terrain system is Unity-specific and required him to gut the shader system and do a bunch of other stuff. Also, the modeling work is already as good as AA.

As an artfag I feel useless, I'm currently learning how to 3D model but I have no idea where to start learning code. Where in your opinion should I start, I aim to be using unreal pretty much most of the time for any game developement if that gives any specific direction to the answer.

I got an idea that would probably require a neural network to work. Rate if it's doable because I don't know shit about neural networks aside from few videos I watched on Youtube. I'll generalize it so you don't steal Muh Idea™.

I want it to take, for example, 50 input values process them through neural magic and give me back 2 or 3 float values. It would be taught only during development phase and after I'd achieve good enough results that there would be no more learning involved and the network itself would be used very rarely during gameplay. Is that doable in Unity?

artfags are very important and rather underrated tbh.

not to mention the fact that good art design can reduce the bigger issues of a game to a more tolerable level

(checked)
I would rather make a tonk semi-rpg game tbh. But I need to git gud at python first :^(

I know you're right user, but I meant I felt useless to myself as I have the game idea in my head but only the ability to draw the concept and maybe make a bad model of it. I feel like by learning code I can take the model a little further into some actual gameplay.

so long as it's tankette I wouldn't mind

Why don't you pirate classes?
hell, you don't even have to pirate anything, there's a few ultra beginner friendly courses in udemy for like $10. There's 1 about interface and 1 about coding.

Granted, the next step in this is creating a separate thread for the "sever" and having it communicate over the network. So, it's maybe not as attainable as I would like. At least my key binding system seems to be working fine, so now the foundations of rebind-able controls are inside of my game, which I didn't have in my last game.

Will it be compatible with OpenMW? I would play it. Make it stalker themed tbh

Yeah you are going to get a armored tractor as a starting vehicle :^). I have other things in mind. I would like to add shit like inventory, customization for almost everything like having the ability to change the engine, different weapons, ammo types and so on. As well special parts that can modify attributes of other equipments or modules. 2 Factions to choose from when starting the game and then both of them have to deal with about 3 hostile factions or so. Vehicles should have the ability for "cosmetic" customization like decals, camouflage and other stuff.

Such shit hasn't been done yet, and there is no FOSS game that comes even remotely close to my idea. So practically it will play like a third person game in real time, maybe even some sort of a squad system when things doesn't become 2complex4me. And no I am not a idea fag I made a few mods before and models too. So theoretically I just need as I wrote before git gud at python and learning how Godot works, I will see. I am reading another book about it right now since the other scrub book had some python 2 code in it and I don't know how to unfuck it so that it works on python 3.

Blasphemy.

Emba-5 exists

That's a generic programming task. What does that have to do with unity?

Yes, the engine has nothing to do with it
Also make sure you research a lot before trying, the structure of the neural network (number of layers and shit) will have to be tailored to your problem and there is no easy way to tell at glance what do you really need, a lot of study and testing will be required
i worked with them without knowing what i was doing before, several months of regret

sounds like a thing which isn't like the thing that I sounded like tbh

What a shame.

4~7 hours every day, even weekends
+1~6 hours coordinating artists about 5 days per week harder than herding cats holy shit

tbh I don't think your not tankette racing gayme could be bad thing

What does this involve, just telling them what they need to do or just trying to get the shit you told them to do?

Grabbing references, telling them to do the thing you want over and over until they stop pretending to forget about it, grabbing more references, making sure they know how a jungle is different from a forest, grabbing even more references because the ones you found were not 4k HD, so they were too small
Keeping your cool is key, knowing when your artists are not "inspired" and telling them to try again next day is important

Are you paying these artists?

Also I'm interested in what your artist can produce, could you link their best work or post some of it here?

Yes, paying per piece

This is the difference between a good day and a bad day

Well jesus user, I only really asked so I could square up my own art abilities to what your hiring, but I can see that what you currently dealing with is close to a nightmare.

Though in further honesty I suppose there's only so much joy painting a pead pod can give, but it's no excuse for laziness if your getting paid. Suppose you could link me their profile, I'd like to see there personal work compared to your pea pods.

hope you're not paying for their shit work

If I was paying people to produce artwork I wouldn't put up with this crap. Both of these are dogshit, the one on the "good" day could pass for talentless hack attempts, the one on the right was doodled in the span of 5 minutes just so you would fuck off.

he was clearly unwell that day, he remade it later, i only paid for the remake
ah shit he is going to read this and get all depressed, sorry dude

Are there any engine that work by just giving you a graphics context, and an ECS framework? It feels like the best compromise between "here's some triangle drawing primitives have fun" and "heres six million LOC of undocumented features have fun"

Soooo, uh, Unity's doing some weird shit

I'm trying get the Renderer property so I can activate or deactivate it, docs tell me to get it with

rend = GetComponent ();

So that works, I then do

rend.enabled = false;

However this doesn't seem to disable the rendering of the gameobject. I assigned it a Mesh Renderer as said on the docs, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Even if I change settings on the Mesh Renderer component nothing change, Cast Shadows and Receive Shadows don't seem to disable shadows at all.

How the fuck does this work

You're probably accessing a different object.

Yeah I just noticed all my Mesh Renderers are already set, and I have like 10 for different parts of my model

Guess I'm going to have to get them all and change the renderer.enabled for each one

Probably nothing, but it's better to give additional info in case it does.

Are there any specific key-phrases to search that'd help me find information about the most crucial concepts? Stuff that is obvious in hindsight but hard to find if you don't know the proper terms and so on. I already watched some videos explaining basics of neurons, weights, layers and thresholds.
Did you make something cool in the end?

Why doesn't this work? I'm kind of a nigger and can't understand console messages when they get too complex

rends = GameObject.Find("playerArmature").gameObject.FindObjectsOfType(typeof(Renderer)) as Renderer[];

Gives me the error

Assets/Scripts/CharacterControllerLogic.cs(117,26): error CS0176: Static member `UnityEngine.Object.FindObjectsOfType(System.Type)' cannot be accessed with an instance reference, qualify it with a type name instead

I know the problem is definitely with

GameObject.Find("playerArmature").gameObject

Because without that it does manage to find all the renderers in the scene

using Unity

I'm using OpenMW, and the RC for version 0.43, so it will definitely be compatible, at least with the 0.43 RC. I'm basically just replacing the crossbows with muskets and rifles, all the bolts with bullets, some of the bows with revolvers and pistols, and some of the arrows with bullets. Then, in stage two, I'm going to hand place guns throughout the world, so some of the higher level bandits will be using them, or at least shitty quality versions of them. Stage three, I'll see about getting custom meshes or textures, not entirely sure if I'll do that though.

is there any way to make a program that can press onscreen buttons?
i had a dumb idea of trying to make a neural network that can learn to play yugioh, but i don't want to have to script an entire game when ygopro already exists.
and then i'd still need some way to get the AI to visually see life points to see if fitness is improving
if this is actually feasible, i'd be doing it with c#

If you're using a library then all you need is in the manual, if you're making your own shit then you need reinforced learning, deep back propagation and genetic algorithms (just to optimize the network faster).

Neural network is essentially a huge fuckoff matrix, all you're doing is multiplying input vector to get an output vector.

So what you're saying is Tetradev has had to spend more time removing bloat from Unity than he'd needed building a custom engine from scratch?

I understand that like most Unityfags, he probably would never have gotten to this point had he not had the bloat as a foundation to start from and eventually grow out of, but I still feel vindicated in my despise for Unity.

Yeah this guy that didn't work on his game definitely knows how a guy that disappeared into the night was devving his game

here you go

You're calling FindObjectsOfType on the instance gameObject (the one from "playerArmature").
Try:
GameObject.Find("playerArmature").gameObject.GetComponents()
or if you want to include its children (I'm guessing you do, otherwise I wouldn't expect more than 1 Renderer component from an object):
GameObject.Find("playerArmature").gameObject.GetComponentsInChildren.

One more tip, try separating the call to GameObject.Find and FindObjectsOfType, and do an if-statement to check if GameObject.Find actually returned a valid result.
If you do this often, then also consider getting the renderers only once in the BeginPlay and cache them, because these Find functions will slow you down if you do them often

Fuck still not good, 6 heads i guess

Thank you, that worked.
I am already getting the playerarmature in a separate call, I just wrote it like that so that it would take up less space.

Gonna have to switch between render.enabled and disabled so yeah, going to get them in Start () and then do a foreach to disable all of them when I need it

Thank you

I liked the proportions you have before honestly.

Also if you want the perfect combo for chibi characters, go download one of the player models from the 3DS pokemon games and base it off that. Pretty much the gold standard for that style

models-resource.com/3ds/pokemonsunmoon/model/18543/

I want the protag to be adult (30+ years old), so even in a chibi-like style he will have to be bigger

Holy shit user this is a great gift, i think i will base my protag on Red's proportions

There's also a bunch of models for the "Adults" in the pokemon games, maybe those would work better

This is some tragic shit.

Red is adult in Sun&Moon

I dropped Sun and Moon after a few hours, didn't know oops

tbh this isn't the first time he's gone looney
i remember people having very minor criticisms and suggestions and him pretty much exploding in the threads with insults about them not knowing shit
rip tetradev, hope the paranoia doesn't stop his progress

Dunno, his game was technically really impressive but he was banking his whole life on it being a giant hit and had put close to no effort into giving it a cohesive aesthetic or a theme.

Even if he had released it he probably would've ended up going bankrupt from all the financial troubles he had and the fact that he refused to find a normal job.

Does anybody have any resources on how to get good looking particle effects in unity?

I know the basics from the official tutorials but it doesn't really show any realistic uses for games. Anything that isn't the default tutorial would be great

This is perfect, thanks again user, i managed to open the model in Unity and make this reference

Now i know why my model looked so fucking weird, the tiny arms are the biggest problem, but i need to make adjusts everywhere

For a moment there, I thought you'd put the SS logo on his chest.

Inspiration does come and go, some days (or months) I don't even feel like opening Photoshop

Luckily I'm more of a programmer

I'm glad I could be of help

Wow this really makes me sad and angry. Sad, because he seems totally fucked and i hate to see him go of the deep end. Angry, because every time he posted he got praise and positive feedback and now everyone was an asshole and /agdg/ wont tell anyone the whole story.
He could have posted something so people wouldnt have to guess, but now people have to speculate and the only thing to go on is the post in the Automata general, that may or may not have been made by him.
And what does he expect people to say? If people want the game to be finished the only thing to tell him is to suck it up or adapt. If he cant do that hes fucked anyways, even if its not hsi fault.

Less than I want to. I'm getting about an hour each day right now. I'll get about 8x as much time as soon as December starts, and I'm excited.

Over the past week, I've mapped the first 'city'-sized town and created 4 more characters. The only one I've implemented so far is the paladin, a strength/wisdom character that can cast spells with the skill of a rock with a cross finger-painted on. The other three characters I've created but haven't implemented are agility-primary characters: the archer, the medic, and the bard.

I want to finish the first few towns and have quest flags working as intended by the end of the year. I also have a lot of UI work to do, because what I've got going on is very placeholder. This also includes replacing a few placeholder graphics in my tilesets and fixing some of my colors. Basically, my goal by the end of the year is to have the first region of the game completed.

Pic related displays the paladin leading the party and a central marketplace in the city I've mapped. I haven't yet populated it with the proper NPCs, so it's somewhat bare at the moment.

Inspired by one of the Earlier Ultimas I see!

i can't see why he wasn't able to ignore the whole nier thing. if nier wasn't such an easy comparison they'd be calling it "DMC but with robot waifu protagonist" instead.
people are going to compare your game to whatever, especially if you're indie. there's no point in trying to fight something like that because people will be people.
i do hope he keeps going, even if he doesn't post here anymore, but he's got a shitty mentality about the whole clone game thing.

sage because borderline not videogames e-drama circlejerking

Nobody gives a fuck about games being similar to one another as long as they are good. Could you imagine if one developer had a monopoly on an entire genre or theme? If anything, Automata proves there is a huge market for people who want to play a robo-waifu game with Stylish Action combat, the game he has been working on for 4 years is a winning concept, why throw it all away?. There is also tons of evidence to shut down anyone who claims his game is a knockoff anyway. Stylish Action is a great genre but not a whole lot of titles in it, fans would definitely support more games with this style.

Give me the quick rundown on this tetradev guy. Does he think Nier plagiarized his game or something?

So I finished version one of my Morrowind gun-implementation mod. There may be a few issues, namely with balancing and placement in the game. So far, there are four guns, and guards carry two of them. A few smugglers carry them too. The bound longbow has been replaced with a bound pistol that gives you six rounds when equipped, and can be "reloaded" by unequipping and equipping. I'd very much appreciate some input.

volafile.org/get/pIIwM8Q7jv2g/GunsMW.tar.gz

Why don't you make flintlock firearms then?

That's pretty much what I have done, with exception for the revolver. I'm not sure how much damage the guns should deal to be honest. The two long guns deal 20-60 and 40-70 damage respectively, and the revolvers do 10-50 and 10-60. I'm also unsure about the cost and quality.

Well, they should do high damage, but have long reload. Compare them to existing bows in this regard.

What if I remove the damage variation and make it so they do flat 50, 60, or 70 damage, then make them very slow?

How about this, the first few ammunition that is available are of poor quality and thus don't make much damage? If the player wants to get not shit ammo then well he has to work for it as in get a lot of shekels or through other means.

Found this while looking for tutorials and this guy seems to legitimately know what he's talking about, lots of good videos

There are different grades/materials for long gun ammo, but the small arms don't have that variation yet. The grade doesn't matter too much, but I'll change it so that it does.

Looking at his blog, he has some really cool work he's doing. I hope at some point he gets over N:A and comes back.

On a completely unrelated note, can someone help me find a blogpost? It's satire where someone designs a ForLoop library that has semantics along the lines of ForLoop.create(); ForLoop.setInitialization(i = 0); ForLoop.setCondition(i

tell him to not work on bad days tbh

blow him out of the jam tbh

It's ok boss, I know I'm sometimes a pain to work with, but at least I've gotten better over time thanks to you.

Hey, I removed most of my old stuff after reading about "how to" portfolio, even if I'm gunning to get furbucks it's a much smarter strategy to get good first and then upload your best only, not everything. Right now I don't have anything up except for 1 or 2 drawings which I still sort of like because I used workflows that made sense instead of leeroy jekings it like Holla Forumsstyle drawthreads.
I've made some OC in the pass too, but everything else is work related.

You wouldn't know if it was a bad day until the bad work was delivered.

you can talk with me and say that it's a bad day and I'll understand you know cos I'm not paying you ;^)

crease

Sounds hilarious, please find it, i love this kind of shit

kek wish I knew.
On a slightly related note, Sauerbraten's code uses macro'd forloops:
#define loop(v,m) for(int v = 0; v=0; i--)

Test of using high ground in gameplay.

Part 2:

that head wobble is really abit much

In an ECS, how do you go about implementing custom events? I have this scenario:
Now i want to do a custom action once it collides with a certain other thing, like maybe a lambda function or something that gets passed to it. How do i implement this without having a gigantic hardcoded if/else mess in the collision handler?

Yes, he believes that when Yoko Taro came here, he saw the /agdg/ thread and his robowaifu, and decided to base 2B on her.

Are your legs ok? This stuff looks really good, although I have no idea how much of that is because of pre-existing content.

The music and sounds are original but the textures and (aside a few like the soldiers) models are stock/placeholder being used well.
The gameplay is heavily modded half life 2. I've made changes to not just player speed but also to enemy reaction time among other vast differences such as rebalancing damages and health completely.
The maps are completely original and took a stupid amount of time to make so far.
Basically I took what was there already and made it good instead of shit. Half life 2 Soldiers more or less were gimped heavily in the actual game and are mainly set to the stupid tactics.
You have to remember my goal here is to make my dream world more than it is to create a sellable game with wholly assets. If I can reuse textures and models I will until i have to change them because the world is going to be massive.

Maybe allow objects to register callbacks (can be lambda functions) to the collision listener, with function objects (can be created as lambdas too) that return a bool to decide when the callback needs to be triggered? Something, very roughly like:

using CollisionTriggerFunc = std::function; using CallbackFunc = std::function; auto trigger = [](CollisionComponent& lhs, CollisionComponent& rhs) { return rhs.name == "Player"; }; auto callback = [](CollisionComponent& lhs, CollisionComponent& rhs) { printf("trigger was activated because %s collided with %s\n", lhs.name, rhs.name); }; triggerObject.collisionComponent->addTriggerCallback(trigger, callback);
struct TriggerCallback { CollisionTriggerFunc trigger; CallbackFunc callback; } CollisionComponent::addTriggerCallback(CollisionTriggerFunc trigger, CallbackFunc callback) { m_callbacks.push_back(TriggerCallback{ trigger, callback }); } CollisionComponent::OnCollide(CollisionComponent& other) { for (auto& callback : m_callbacks) { if (callback.trigger(*this, other)) { callback.callbackFunction(*this, other); } } }

Thanks user, i'll try that later on, i've started setting up my lua event system now but your solution will be useful for internal events.

Can someone please fucking help my retarded ass? I need to convert a .fon file, "MS Sans Serif" to .ttf so UE4 will understand what the fuck it is. I'm really, really set on this font and I can't see it going any other way.

How the fuck do I do this?

stackoverflow.com/questions/3750124/how-to-convert-a-bitmap-font-fon-into-a-truetype-font-ttf
It's a bit old but it may work.
If you don't want to mess around with Linux you can give me the .fon file and I can try to do it on my native install.

Where the fuck did you even find that shit

files-conversion.com/font/fon
This will probably work, there's a bunch of online converters for fonts

I tried the tool, but it produces an invalid font file, at least that's what I'm getting when trying to view it. Picrelated is the font. I love the crimply pixely comfy look.

I've never touched Linux in my life, so if you feel like helping, I'd love that.

dropbox.com/s/fm4w8urv645xm3l/SSERIFE.FON?dl=0

Here.

How do you guys into sound effects? I'll admit that's my weak point, I usually use bfxr/sfxr as placeholders but eventually I must get over this, if you have some wisdom to share I'm all ears.

will i ever find meaning programming

smash them together. Learn what sounds are, and how they work. Try and put a face to the vague concepts in your head. That's how most art works.

Like, when you first draw a foot, you draw the idea of a foot in your mind, not the foot itself. So it looks like an amoeba with bumps on it. But when you learn the proper way to think about 3D shapes, and you internalize the structure of a foot, you'll draw it right. Same concepts apply to sound. You just need to understand the underlying structure of sound, your perception of sound and how sounds are produced in the natural world. The rest comes naturally. Most of it can be learned by watching other people work with sound.

I'm pretty new to it myself, but here's a sound I made by splicing together 6-7 samples: soundcloud.com/rottenhuman/salvagedsniper

The more you learn about sound and pacing, the better your shit will get. Just keep trying and you'll get there.

Do you mean making them? From the little I've seen it seems studios use props to make the a base sound which they'll alter. Like snapping tweaks for breaking bones and such. I'm sure if you hunt around there'll be some "backstage" footage of people recording for them. I guess it depends on what type of sound effects you need though.

I wanted to accuse him of ripping off P.N.03 to see how he'd react but now it's just sort of sad.

prove it

Show us your win32 spaghetti.

my raytracer uses opengl/glfw as an over-glorified framebuffer that means i know it right

correction - I learned how to install GLFW

Not more time than making an engine from scratch, but quite a lot of time was spent on it.

I know since he explained it to me. Tetradev helped me make my previous game, which was "Red Sky". All of the weapon models in it are made by him, as well as a few of the levels.

Sure, pic related is a part of my code, it's used to create a window.

Hey, local government got a free permanent subscription for all students in like 2012, why not use it?
It has really, really good debugging features

Not using libraries just for the sake of being able to say that you dont use them is pretty retarded, or is your custom implementation functionally different?

For me it's always been really weirdly demanding on hardware for some reason.

You can disable some of the really bloated code audit tools like IntelliSense, its pretty fast after that.

Yeah, it does some platform specific stuff on windows to ensure that moving the window doesn't freeze the video up. Consider this GLFW users problem and the response he gets: gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/137727/glfw-window-freezes-on-title-bar-hold-drag

In reality it's NOT an unfixable problem, webm related should prove to you that it's possible to solve this. But, if you don't have access to the underlying API's, you have no tools at your disposal when issues like these occur.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Windows program in my entire life that doesn't freeze when the window is moved. Color me impressed.

It would be a pain to work with anyone else, since i cannot transfer my thoughts directly to people.

You do a great job when you try

I didn't think about making it do that until I ported my program to X11 and saw it not freezing up, then when I ran it on Windows the behavior really bothered me. The fix is simple, but it's still stupid that you have to do that.

I don't know what this font is supposed to look like. Loading it into font forge I get a pixel font, but when I export it to a BDF I get 6 different files, each of which is less and less pixelated.
I picked the most pixelated font but the autotrace feature doesn't play nice with such low resolution fonts and if I were to go forward I would be spending hours doing either cleanup or drawing the font by hand, character by character. I'm sorry but that's too much work when I have other things to do.

Hey, the fact that you tried and spent as much time as you have is already way more than I can expect from a random guy. Thanks for trying to help, user.

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't figure it out.

I'm sure I'll get it right sometime in the future. It's not like I can't prototype with a default font and replace it later down the line.

I think your "by the way, I looked at your work" message was kinda rude, and Tetradev kind of had a point when he said that your suggestion would amount to scrapping the game and building a soulslike, but the way he reacted was aggressive and way out of line, and you handled everything else in the conversation well.

I like how his shirt says 96. DEEPEST LORE

This is what really gets to me too. Platinum Games is basically the only studio that makes decent character action games/spectacle fighters/3rd-person beat-em-ups/however you want to refer to the genre.
I think if anything, he should be happy to see Neir: Automata succeed as well as it did. If Yoko Taro copied his game and it flopped, I would worry about the same happening to my game.

Pretty much, see pics.

That's fucking hilarious. Do you have any more gems saved?

No, I just saved these from last thread. And don't knock the guy; he has real talent, even if his ego and victimhood has outgrown it.

he's basically our very own dobson

I don't know why anyone would hold it against him. That game was probably his life for a while and then someone came along and stole it from him.

I thought I had downloaded the entire fucking series because this was 10 MB

If you're enough of a butthurt fag that you start throwing tantrums about how much of a poor boy you are, you become a target for mockery. I've had my own moments of shame and cringe with Holla Forums, but every time it happened I've taken it on the chin, laid low for a little bit, noted the fuckup, and then moved on like nothing happened.

When you claim that some famous Japanese artist stole your waifu-DMC concept, you automatically look like an idiot. If we don't lampoon idiots, they'll never have moments of self-reflection.

Nobody stole anything, the idea is simple enough that someone could've come up with a similar thing on their own. Even if they did take inspiration, which I don't think is likely - they did just that, and did it better. It's a natural risk when showing people your work in progress.

He's still working on his game, even if he's not able to get over himself.

Honestly don't think that'll ever happen, the project is overambitious, it's pretty much scoped like a AA to AAA game, and he's too much of a perfectionist to make the kinds of drastic cuts that would be required to get this thing out before 2030. Instead he should apply for jobs with his progress as is portfolio. Would also help with the whole poorfag situation.

i'm not sure what openmp is doing
that noise fucks with h264 so bad i had to lower the crf by 10 otherwise the file was 19megs

Is he? If the log is any indication, he seems on the verge of dumping it.
Of course, I trust him about as far as I'd throw him, but.

tbqf its not like the game is really all that original or good. I know he's alone and blah blah blah but I personally wouldn't be interested in playing it even for free.

Anyone have HDR advice?
I want to increase the contrast in the game as well to go full AESTHETIC.

As a note I only just discovered HDR features.

He added some ass jiggle and gizmos, last I checked. And a console. Technically they might be part of the game.

I'm a total sucker for spectacle fighters though, and I would definitely check out the game if it ever releases.

Something I've noticed is that the rain effect covers your screen in jaggies. Is there any way you can make the rain translucent or add some AA to it without tanking the framerate?

I'll need to look into it. Source engines rain is kind of primitive and I am not sure if it was ever really meant to be used.
I have no idea where it would have been used in Hl2.
Anyway, new screenshots from playing around with HDR; thoughts?

on a completely unrelated note to tetradev, autistic game developers defending their honor on steam forums gives me life

He opened up with a food analogy, he lost before he even started.

wtf i love emergent gameplay now

$5 says he thinks "better coffee" is Starbucks.

tbh from my time developing a mod for Rust, the approach that works best is to cover your head with ashes and be apologetic and genuinely explain why things are the way they are and that you're working to fix it. Gets incredibly positive responses.

what's wrong with tim hortons coffee? Last time I went to canada it seemed pretty good.

Making a game where you play as a spooky sexy monster in a town, which design should I move forward with for the place holder least till I come up with a few final designs.

I'm hoping to have multiple creatures to choose from with different movement sets and abilities, not sure what the game will be right now but at the moment I'm just wanting to work on how fun it looks and feels to play in a blank room.

Please help me pick.

#3 or #5

#2 looks the most "aesthetic"

#1 and #6 are by far the spookiest

Great, so we've narrowed it down to anything BUT #4

Just putting this out there, but I was leaning towards #4.

#6 or #4 has my vote.

I've heard people say that elongated limbs is a sure way to instill creepyness in a human-like figure, but I think 3&5 go a bit overboard; the limbs look too frail and impractical.

Also, #5 looks like you could have a drooling mouth where the vagina should be, sort of like an angler fish. The upper body can be sort of like a bait

Fuck it just roll a d6.

I'd go with #5 or #6, the others don't have a strong enough effect, I think. Although, #6 is a bit too unsubtle to me.

#1 is the most original. The rest look a little plain, like cannon fodder in a horror game.

Make it a gelatinous skinwalker that shifts through all of these forms in spastic movements. You could make a sick walkcycle out of these poses.

That's a pretty cool idea, I could imagine that the forms would have different purposes.

Is it worth investing in an xbox one kinect to capture part of the animation with some eventual later tweaks, seeming how microsoft is stopping development of them they're going super cheap and they look like they could be useful for what I want to do. Anyone have any experience with this and implementing it?

ur a pathetic lil cunt, i bet you 3d print voxels and shove em up ur mom's ass

I have a lot of trouble remembering and dealing with mathematical concepts, especially arbitrary shit like "forward", "left", "up", etc. What do?

guilty as charged

Got any specific things you don't understand? Forward, left and up, are pretty ambiguous without any context.

Just an example of something I'm bad at. They're arbitrary directions chosen by unity.

Are they not [1,0,0], [0,1,0], and [0,0,1] by default, or rather, a unit on each axis?

That's not a good way to think about it. Think about them as axis and values on the axis.

Try particle effects.
For HDR, check out this tutorial. The important part is that you can modify the HDR exposure values in-game with the dev console.
youtu.be/XEWmdRfG0xU?t=13m43s
inb4 >reddit
also look into color correction:
youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Qnr2N9joE

Buying two Kinects of the second gen will lead to very solid mocap like embed related there are much better videos, just cant find them right now, however im not sure if it'll be effective when doing something crazy like you're trying to

>If you run into any issues, just launch Alien Swarm and use its authoring tools to generate the color correction file

Oh man, Source seems like a journey

I don't understand why anyone would develop for Source anymore.

I just read up that kinect 2 only works with windows 8 or 10.

Is it worth going to windows 10, so long as I take the neccesary /g/ steps to unfucking it. I know that I'll want to use motion capture quite a bit for my other project including this one. Can I get some opinions, on whether it's worth it?

I had lewder designs in my head, but I thought that if I went any futher I'd just be creating silent hill monster porn.

I mean, just look at Evolve

two computers
fucking microsoft.

Nah, Evolve was tasteful. You've got to show restraint and hit the right notes with these things.

I imagine that I'll be getting another PC as I'm turning my student flat into a work studio for my game development and art work. I'll have to find a way to get rid of the double bed, I'm gonna swap it for a sofa bed and a coffee table it takes up that much space.

Are you saying I should go for lewder. it's not like I'm aiming for this to be family friendly with the vagina eating thing and all. But like this user said I want to get a good balance.

I recently did it and i would say it's fine. Unfucking it is a hassle and it does take an afternoon to weed all the bullshit out but after you're done you wont have any real downsides. Win7 has had telemetry updates in the meantime so unless you waterproofed it the only advantage of Win7 is the familiarity of the old OS. Honestly Windows 10 even has some advantages like the better Task manager, antialiasing on the desktop and faster booting Also it's called Holla Forums

That's not a sexy monster. What I'm talking about are how to sexualize a monster without making it tasteless.

*is

fuck, im so tired my eurotrash self is coming out.

If it's a placeholder, does it really matter what design you use?
If this was for the final design I could understand wanting to get input, but if it's a placeholder literally anything should work.
Here's my placeholder for a crowbar. And map textures.

For what it's worth, though, I like 3.

I should stop shitposting and get back to work

Different design means different walking animation and move sets, what may work for one design won't work for say, design 4,5,6 as they'll need there own custom skeleton and animations.

Ah, I understand. Sorry about that, then.

Well here's my object tree so far. Still non functional, but things are mostly robust. I need to do a good code audit tomorrow and ensure things are still consistent and robust. I know I found a few bad-state issues (eg, a Timer set to negative time) that I should address.

Added the ability to choose tile based on color on mask. The red channel defines depth.

That looks really cool! How do you get the tilesets to look so non-tessellated? It looks almost hand-drawn!

It works by giving each individual unit of the mask a set of different instructions of what to draw. A piece of grass for example is three different sprites drawn on top of each other: A base dark brown with slightly random offset, the green and then one of 6 different toppers with slightly random offset. It then crushes the generated image into a single sprite to be used as the background. It's not really practical to use in runtime because it takes forever to read each pixel of the mask and draw to the sprite. I might save the instructions to a file rather than having it read the mask every time it tries to load. I could also cut even more corners by just saving the generated image to disk when I'm done making it and use that instead of this mess.
tl;dr it's not really tile based so it shouldn't be given too much credit. It's just a way to quickly shit out nice looking floors using random variation.

Buy a book. Look at this list:
stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

How do people learn programming from books? Do you just read it and make stuff as you read it, or you finish reading it and then you try stuff out?

Personally, I learned programming from a course so I don't know what learning programming from a book without prior knowledge is like, but I do know that once you know how to program, you can read a book that's your level and absorb the knowledge for afterwards - although it's good to have to book within arm's length while you are actually programming.

I've learned from making things and google searching tbh, books don't hold my attention at all

maybe you think visually. draw X,Y,Z axis, draw the Unity names for each direction. You are right, it is arbitrary. They could have picked any axis for the direction "names". Just start drawings diagrams and figures for your own reference for things like this. Draw out mathematical functions and the like over the domain you are interested in. Draw everything.

I learned C from K&R. Write C code along with the book. Work through each example. Work through very small projects "on the side" while reading. Like a random compound name generator or a tic-tac-toe text game for a "final project" in terms of complexity. Reading alone will not do it. To learn most people must: 1) hear & see the information (in your head, as you read, or attend a lecture), 2) write the information - so notes and/or diagrams that illustrate the concept, 3) implement the information - combine what you have learned in a unique way that isn't simply rewording or copy-paste what you were presented (project or "homework").

#2 is why taking notes on a laptop is not so useful, maybe a compete waste of time. Physically writing what you hear or writing down the key points & diagrams with paper and pen/pencil while you read or listen to a lecture is more work. apparently enough work for your brain to attach significance and attention to what you are doing and reinforce the information.

for all the unintuitive shit that blender has, it's coordinate system is not one of them.
just do the "fingergun" with your left hand.

Isn't Y supposed to be the height vector?

So watching a Jewtube video is more effective then reading a book?

For 2D yes. in 3D space it's the Z-axis

that's fucking confusing

What's really confusing is that it's the opposite for some software.

It's about math. 3D space is a perfect mathematical space, and by mathematical convention, X is to the right, Y is to the top, and Z is to the back. It's an extention of 2D math coordinate system with X to the right and Y to the top, Z must be orthogonal to both X and Y and it is selected as cross product of X to Y, hence specific direction. In 2D graphics Y points downward because electron beam displays would scan top to bottom, making Y coordinate axis inverted.

It's still height in OpenGL coordinates. Also in Vulkan the Y axis is inversed.

It doesn't matter, you can set your identity matrix to make any axis point in any direction.

Mates, I have a question for you that's not really related to my project, but is related to game design.
With Mario Odyssey coming out recently and being pretty fun, actually, I was thinking about how I would handle development of a 3D Mario game. Most design choices are fairly set in stone, but there's one mechanic I'm mulling over and can't really figure out: difficulty modes.

Since a game like this would have to appeal to everyone and their mother, but also be hard enough for those who want it, I think the best way to handle it to give the player four options for difficulty modes: Easy for game journos, Normal for the mainstream, Hard for non-normalfags and Superhard for those who really want it. I was thinking that certain things would slightly change depending on difficulty (make some jumps slightly harder, more boss phases, and superhard would only give you one hit instead of the usual three). Collecting every star on any difficulty would give you varying rewards, like unlockable characters (and an extra final level if you beat it on Superhard).

Now, if it was to change level design, then it's not something you can change in the middle of the level, which leaves the hub world (Peach's Castle). And that works, but it creates an issue.

See, most normalfags (for dumb reasons) really hate the fact that Mario 64 would kick you out of the stage after every star, and they prefer a Banjo-type system, or the system from Mario Odyssey, where you can get every star without leaving the stage. That's where the issue lies. If you were to leave the stage and come back, there wouldn't be a mission selection, you'd just return to whatever state you left the level in. And if you wanted to get the rewards for a higher difficulty, you would have to clear the stars again on the higher difficulty, which isn't really an option if you can't replay the stars, and you can't replay the stars if there's no mission selection.
The only way I could think of making this work was to let you select the star, but only after you've completed the entire stage.

I know this is a clusterfuck of a system, and doesn't really work, so I wonder how you would handle having difficulty options in a Mario game like this. sadly, just telling normalfags to git gud isn't really an option.

sage because autism

I'm certainly not a normalfag but I got sick with how Galaxy would kick you out the level and then slooooowwllly get you back to the hub where you tally up stuff and then have to slowly go back the level you were just in.

Regarding your difficulty thing, do it like Odyssey does: Make it easy to beat the game, but to 100% it the player has to go through some real mega bitch levels, that way the player is choosing their own difficulty that way.

Sadly, at that point, neither side is really happy. People who are good at games will be bored for the entire first half, and people who are bad will be super upset that they can't beat all the levels.

If you're going to have a star system in a level why not use that for your difficulty curve? The first few stars of a level introduce the player to whatever new mechanic is in that level, the next few challenge them with it and then the last ones are ball bustingly hard. Then set the 'required' number to be about the middle. That levels casual players move on after they grow bored of a level. While advanced players linger on a level to test their understand of a mechanic in an in depth manner.

After 4 months of doing no programming at all, how do I get back into it? I was still very much a beginner before I stopped, so right now I'm trying to just start from the beginning, making super simple games.
(I still kept practicing with other areas of gamedev tho.)

Also, wow, just found out about Tetradev's drama. Kinda feel bad for him cause his stuff seemed like it had potential. I hope he sorts his issues out and gets back to gamedev.

No, reading still absorbs the information. Personally I find myself easily distracted when watching a youtube video since my computer is in my hands. Ultimately, it's best to try a variety of learning tools, and go with what you honestly find the most helpful. For example, I've always found handwritten notes to help me remember things better than typed, so even though computerized notes are more convenient, I know I'll learn better if I write it out by hand.

You're already wrong here.

Mario works because it doesn't have difficulty settings, however it gives an experienced player plenty of possibilities to show off their skill, skip parts of a level, do things faster.

Every 3D mario game has an easy way to get from point A to point B.
A new player will just run there and jump when needed, they'll take no risks and be safe.
However a safe player will use all the tools at their dispositions, complex jumps, dashes, flood, etc.

This works the same for a bunch of other games. Pick Dark Souls, an inexperienced players can get through the game by wearing only really heave armor and have a high VIT END build, and the game becomes easy as fuck.
However someone with experience can get through the game naked with a strong weapon.

I've been studying a bunch of platformers and actually interviewing a bunch of people that are fan of a variety of 3D platformers in the past months to get a clear vision of what makes 3D Marios so special, and this honestly seems to be the way to go.

I found that some people just don't play games enough to enjoy most of them. I think that's why difficulty settings are crucial. I remember as a kid I was bored with a game until I could progress, it wasn't until my early teens that I started cranking difficulty up to enjoy the game more.

Imagine if you never played games, or only occasionally. I nearly ruined Terraria for my girlfriend when I put it on Expert mode, I thought she could handle it but she just wanted to build her little house and not get assfucked by zombies in the night.

And that's why Mario makes it impossible to get stuck.
Can't get a star? That's fine, there's probably another 40 stars you can access and get at the same time. You don't need to collect everything to finish the game.

Difficulty settings are a giant failure of game design imo, there's so many options that don't completely break the flow of the game and make it a more memorable experience.

tbh I think there should be like two settings: "the way the dev wanted" and "for your mentally retarded kid"

Odyssey did it kind of like that where they have babby-mode
The gameplay is the same but there's no way to get lost or to die

I have to point you to my response here.
People who are good at platformers will be bored for the entire first half of the game, and people who are bad will be pissed that they can't experience the later levels.
It's why I thought about the player getting optional unlockable characters or something of the sort for clearing the game at a harder difficulty, that way you're not taking much away from those who are bad, yet still rewarding the skilled.

Issue there is that those playing in babby mode still get the same rewards as those playing in normal mode. While some wouldn't really care, I just don't think that that's fair, skill should be rewarded at least somehow.

Does anybody of you goys mind if I post a python script here? I am following a tutorial and well I am stuck with a bugged python script, its about a tic-tac-toe script and the bug is that when I enter a numbered choice it just asks for it instead of applying it. I am sorry if posted it on the wrong thread but I have no idea where else I should ask this question.
pastebin.com/XZhynuYU

I have never done that way before, so far I just read a PDF file about python scripting and follow the instructions which is just writing out the code and then running it to see if it works. So if I want to write out those things do I just need to write the important parts of it or something? I would like to try that.

If a game is fun to control (ie. Mario), then difficulty really doesn't matter. The fun of the game doesn't come from beating the hardest courses, it comes from exploration and having really tight controls.

Champion's Road-like levels are fun once, maybe a few times, but you can't design a whole game around it. Even people that like the challenge will get tired of them.

Also, an experience player, will most likely play the game for longer, which you can exploit by having a healthy amount of post game content they can access that will test their abilities.
Difficulty right out of the gate just isn't fun, even the most experienced player will want some easier levels to get acclimated to how the game plays.

Honestly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sunshine and 64 did the difficulty curve perfectly, there's no reason to change that.

I think you're missing the point of what makes Mario collectathons satisfying. It's not about the reward, it's about the gameplay you have while getting to that reward. What you're complaining about is that harder levels force you to play extremely well, but you have that option at pretty much any time during the base game itself.

Again, Odyssey is probably the most shining example of that.

Dunno that's how I see it, it's alright if you think it doesn't work. Although you should probably think of the amount of work you'll be putting onto yourself if you do decide to make major changes to either level structure and gameplay

mods are not games

you fucking hacks

What about total conversions?

Oh my god you glorious faggots I think I just managed to recreate bhopping in UE4. I just need to get some numbers right and add a no-friction frame and I'll post a video. Holy shit I'm so excited.

Sprites look good, ship it.

OK I have a question related to Unity legality.

So Unity is free to use and free to release games on, as long as you're not making money off of those games. My question is where does it legally fall if you say "hey, I'm releasing this game for free but if you think it was worth money, here's a donation button"? Do I need a subscription?

If I recall correctly, Unity is free as long as you haven't made more than $10,000 off your game. And since your game is so shitty that you will have to pay people to play it, I don't think you should worry about donation button because no one will ever press it anyway.

they include crowdfunding in their terms of service, so i'm assuming that would count. the limit is 100k for the personal version.
though you probably want to get plus anyway so you can get rid of the "MADE WITH UNITY™" shovelware stamp on startup.

It's 100k gross revenue (ie money collected before taxes and expenses).
store.unity.com/download?ref=personal

looks pretty good, what's the game gonna be about, looks like a horror game

Gave me a genuine chuckle.

I am not a lawyer this is not legal advice.
You cannot use Unity Free if you make $100,000 or more a year. If you make $100,000 or more a year you either have to stop using Unity or buy Unity Professional. Doesn't matter if the money was made from people buying your game. If McDonald's was to release a free game made using Unity they would have to pay for professional because they make more than $100,000 a year, even if that money was from real estate rather than the Unity game.

haha faggot
also she loves it when zombies pound her ass

Godot 3.0 Alpha2 is out with Mono support.
godotengine.org/article/dev-snapshot-godot-3-0-alpha-2

It's a first person game taking inspiration from puzzle-horror RPG Maker games, like Ib, Bevel's Painting, and Yume Nikki. You roam around a map, solve puzzles, collect items, hit Use on stuff to read text, and try to keep your virgin ass from getting plundered by ghost girls.
It also takes inspiration from older horror games where you could actually shoot the monsters instead of running away and hiding and sucking your thumb. I really hate that in a lot of modern horror games, nowadays.

The story is super WIP and early, but the basic concept is that you play as a kid with a shitty family life who takes solace in vidya and anime. Surfs the net with his phone constantly.
He talks to a girl he met online via his phone and they've been talking for years. She invites him to see her, and he accepts.
He goes, enters the apartment complex where she's supposed to be, and it turns out she's not real and the complex is actually evil or it's another dimension or something I haven't quite figured that out yet. Either way, now there's shit trying to eat him and he wants to escape from the complex.

The main gameplay focus is using your phone–it's a really small hub, like five maps, and by calling up different people (all of them are dead, spooky!!!!), you can connect to a different map and head back and forth between areas.
I'd also like to have it that you can take photographs of stuff on your phone to materialize stuff in other maps, but base gameplay comes first, fluffing it all out comes later.

I was going to make it for the IGMC2017, but I had to push an update for a mod out so I ended up completely missing it. Oops! Oh well.

What size should the pictures for my particles be?

As big as possible. What could go wrong?

4k good enough?

I suppose I should post the actual link to the license
unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

Why not? I've always wanted my computer to become a space heater.

Okay, here it is! - streamable.com/0zmpw

It's still kinda wonky, I'm not sure what's up with that. The way it's implemented all the calculation is slapped on top of standard UE4 movement (I want to minimize the amount of work needed to get it to be multiplayer friendly). The bhops work pretty much the way they're supposed to work, I've added a few no-friction frames when landing, but I don't think it's working well.

I'm just fucking happy I got it to work. I'm so fucking glad. My primary issue with games today is that nothing feels quite as good as Source movement, and this is my first step in making sure this isn't a problem. I'm sitting here grinning like a faggot, I didn't think I could get it to be like this.

final finished uv'ing this skeleton

Spoil that shit, I was almost spooked

You should give it a pair of boobies.

Damn he looks like he's about to chase me.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to share such conversations. Especialy that
both hits right in the feels (I never thought he cared much for me even in private conversations) and is definitely an example of stupid things people say when they are upset. It's unfair. A lot of people here STILL root for him…
Nevertheless you approached him calmly and professionally, not really dickish.

just like make game, my dude. If you can't get into it right now, perhaps returning to your old code and reviewing it will do the trick. I'm sure after all that time you do have a mind full of fresh ideas.

We missed you here, wouldn't you know. You can review the thread archives on the wili. People asked about you and your project. we were kinda worried

what can you do…I hope for the same. What really saddens me is that the fucking owlturd edit became the OP for cuckchan's /agdg/ and now even these hacks know of all the pointless drama.
It would be very hard for tetra to return without starting anew. Thank God he remains anonymous.

What saddens me also is that people keep posting his patreon, which is the only real way the more empathetic of us can help him with the whole mafia/debt thing and still there are only a few patrons.

you shit your pants, didn't you?

spooky/10

This is fucking amazing. Keep up the good work oh and can you share some details on what type of game will it be? I need info for the wiki

Oh and I hosted a LAN party this weekend and OF COURSE couldn't archive the previous thread. So if any of you wonderful souls have it saved, I'd appreciate you posting it on the wiki. looking for you, eeschaton I sent you a message on wikidot too

One more thing: the faggot trollboy over here using my webm to get (you)s on cuckchan was golden

Made an egg. It functions like a falling rock, but can do other things (eg if crushed, yields a gem).

Is it too similar to yoshi eggs, just wondering

haha

It's literally the same user, you tell me if it's too similar

I think the responses most people have given you along the lines of "have one difficulty and make different stars easier or harder" is probably the best way to go. If you were dead-set on difficulty modes, don't do mission select; it's obnoxious and wastes your time doing nothing. Instead, do difficulty select, and display how many stars were collected on each difficulty.

I disagree with this assessment. Nintendo has made a business out of games with easy campaign and hard postgame content. Most people who buy the game aren't going to complete it, let alone 100% it, because they're filthy casuals. For people who aren't filthy casuals, there's challenge available.

Fucking crossposters I swear
Wait, what? I saw he said he was poor, but mafia? For real?

It's higher resolution, has 4 splotches instead of 5, and uses a different palette

I'm not very familiar with python, but this line looks problematic to me:
while response not in (low, high):
After a quick search, it looks like you forgot the word 'range':
range(low, high)

That works for the most part, but remember the top side of the range is not inclusive:
>>> 5 in range(5, 8)True>>> 5 in range(2, 5)False
You can also just use an ordinary comparison:
while not (low

>(x

It's a Yoshi egg man

I wonder what it smells like.

Salty coins and milk

So if I did this, would it be different enough? I mean, it's just a mottled egg

yes

I got my whole C++ / SDL game ported over to HTML5 with emscripten, that shit is basically magic: lyceum-allotments.github.io/series/

Now it's a blue yoshi egg.
Adding irregular, large spots to an egg will immediately make people think of Yoshi. Go for stripes or regular polka-dots.

I want it to be a nod to a Yoshi egg, while at the same time calling it something different. Plus on Easter, have a few different "painted" varieties show up

(checked)
What about a colored egg with whit spots?

(checked)
If you want it to look like a Yoshi egg, than there's nothing to really worry about. Just don't call it a Yoshi egg.

I may also have a wall-hugging spider enemy called a Water Strider that can cross water tiles and looks like pic related.

But can you get them all into one room and hold a wall-hugging spider jamboree?

call it a smelly egg and you'll be fine

How is this for a boss fight?
You enter a room full of ticking clocks, dimly lit with yellowish golden lights. The ticking of all of these clocks is somewhat loud. Pretty soon people start running into the room and attacking you. As you kill them eventually you realize the ticking is quieter, and some clocks have stopped ticking. The more people you kill, the more clocks stop. Soon only two clocks are still running, ticking out of phase. A man walks into the room wearing a getup that suggests he's not a regular grunt. The boss health-bar shows up and you know it's on.
If you die during the boss fight the game over screen has the sound of only one clock ticking, and when you kill the boss one clock begins slowing down just as it strikes the hour, and when the boss fight is completely over only one clock is left ticking.

If a clock is shot it will break apart and stun the person the clock is associated with Including you and the boss. However the clock will reassemble in an amount of time depending on how much damage was done and the person will recover from being stunned. The boss can slow down time and their clock recovers very, very fast from being damaged, but when the boss slows down time the sun lasts for a lot longer e.g. he can slow down time for either his clock or for himself, but not both. So when he slows down time for himself and is running around the level in a blur, you shoot the clock to stun him, then wail on him.
The rest of the boss fight would be pretty standard. Moves that deal with the player at close close, medium, and far ranges, but those are to be decided.

Thank you so much, user.

depends on the game play tbh

So, suppose I have my level data in a single array like pic related. I give it a width and a height, and then I am able to interpret it in a grid-like manner. This isn't a problem and what I'll be doing for eg an editor.

However, if I wanted to nudge all the data to the left (so that the leftmost stuff wraps around), I basically have to move every single entry in the array per nudge. Is there a better way to handle this?

don't modify the array, just make a new one with the modified data :^)

Actually that's a good point - it doesn't matter if it's done inplace or if I have to allocate a new object or not. But I don't see a way I can just "do" it without copying it all

You could have four arrays within an array if you can do that, but I wouldn't recommend that.

If you need the array in the changed state you will have to copy at some point. If this action is done more often than the lookup you can just keep track of an index and either calculate the new place or do the shift once.

Are you using C++? Vectors have a rotate function.

Actually in C#, a one-dimensional array is optimized to be the fastest. A jagged array (that is, T[][] ) is much faster than a multidimensional array T[,] because of compiler optimization and oversight. Either way, I'd prefer to keep it flat if possible.

It'll only be done via user input from an editor or such, so committing the change(s) immediately shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, C#. But I didn't know the technique was called Rotation. I can probably research a decent approach now, thanks.

Ah, better yet, I'll keep my game data as a T[], and use a T[][] for my editor, which lets me manipulate tiles more effectively, and then when I need to actually use optimized logic, stuff is already in a flat array. Good talk.

I would hold on putting this onto the wiki, I'm just messing about at the moment. I'm still loyal to my other game

that is more of a level design thing, and various games do that too, pretty much every DMC could be beaten by a resident evil character, that is why even just traveling the levels doing small jumps feels much better than ninja run in revengance.

Kingdom hearts (arpg) makes a compromise, first it makes you select a difficulty for the whole game, then lets you grind or stop earning experience at any point.
Then on the other side there is RE4/god Hand/left4dead that use adaptive difficulty
some examples of how others have handled it.
Last Remnant (rpg that gets harder every battle) lets you bring more enemies into battle to increase the complexity. or to battle them separately to increase the difficulty.
Valkyria chronicles (strategy-shooter combo) lets you advance slowly to make it easier (implemented poorly because the base game is already easy), then there is the pc version that had shooting rate tied to frame rate which made some missions nightmare hard, then some guy made a difficulty mod around everything being nightmare hard and its fucking awesome, the game went from rushing with scouts to the enemy base (ps3) to shocktrooper death squads / savescumming central (pc) to everything is useful and it is so fucking balanced (myVCmod.zip).
once i finish my Ikagura clone i will make a VC one.

I played around with c and gbdk today to make a simple platformer base for real game boy hardware. Used ZGB to cut down on a lot of the dev time. I am a happy camper.

sometimes I wonder if they are /ourguy/

Is MissingNo. the final boss?
I really want this pillow now

Alright, I have a memory leak I can't seem to fix.

This is C# and toggling between optimized/unoptimized code doesn't seem to make a difference. It runs at 60 fps, and every time task manager updates, it costs about 8 kb of memory. Not calling this function, or commenting out the foreach blocks will stop said leak.

"Actors" is a dictionary of size 1. The only other object I'm creating is the iterator for the foreach loops … they can't be that bad, can they? The delegate invoke costs nothing as well.

just call garbage collection at the end of every frame :^)

I don't ever want to have to invoke it manually

And it runs on actual original Gameboy hardware? That's impressive.

Your solution is not to use shit languages.

It's called a GC, there are no leaks! You're programming C#, that means you should forget about implementation details like this.

You also forget about high performance and other important stuff which requires manual memory management.

var neighbors = bee.OrderBy(b => Vector3.Distance(b.m_position, m_position)).Skip(1); List newVel = new List(); Vector4 vel = m_velocity; vel.w = 5f; newVel.Add(vel); foreach (var b in neighbors) { var dist = Vector3.Distance(b.m_position, m_position); if (dist < 1f) { //Move away from them Vector4 awayVector = (m_position - b.m_position).normalized; awayVector.w = 2f; newVel.Add(awayVector); } else if (dist > 4f && dist < 5f) { Vector4 towardsVector = (b.m_position - m_position).normalized; towardsVector.w = 1f; newVel.Add(towardsVector); } } foreach (var o in obstacles) { float dist = Vector3.Distance(o, m_position); if (dist

we call .Skip(1) because the closest bee after ordering is always us

That's his problem and not mine, friend. You see, I program in C.

This is literally me, here is my "game" running on a T41 with a Pentium M and Radeon Mobility 9000

>use Game Maker

I also have a Thinkpad T420
hooked up to a mouse and keyboard and ext display

Thanks, yes, it runs on actual gameboy hardware. It's not that impressive though, I used ZGB which takes care of a lot of stuff. If I was writing it in assembly or wrote my own libraries I'd feel more impressed with myself but I'm shit at low level coding so I can only manage C. Standing on the shoulders of giants and whatnot.
github.com/Zal0/ZGB

It plays both VHS and DVD you double nigger, I found it on the curb with some trash almost a year ago and took it home. It was a great replacement because the VHS player that I was previously using was one that I found in the trash two weeks ago from then, and it was larger than that entire player, and didn't even have a DVD player. This of course was still much better than my original VHS player which I found in the trash three years ago from then, however it had broken after about two years of service. It had two VHS slots, however one of them didn't even work. But, before that I didn't even have a VHS.

I bet you it had an integrated graphics card. If you want some serious 2D optimization target a 386 and DOS.

Gamemaker doesn't even target windows xp anymore, buddy

This is why I don't want to graduate from XNA/FNA, gotta let those nips play your games too

There was a period where gamemaker supported xp but you could check a box in the menu to disable xp support. For some reason.

How intensive are you planning on making the engine in the end anyway?
I have seen you talk about optimizing it by avoiding all middleware and modern technique before, will you sacrifice appearance for that?
How hard is it to program in decent shaders and lighting that're well optimized actually?

Lookin good.
do you still need music?

Oh shit I think I just understood something I struggled with months ago.

So a RenderCube. Apparently it's used in reflection mapping? I never really understood how, but I did get that it held 6 textures but beyond that I was confused.

So I assume that it works by taking the midpoint of the cube, and for each face, projecting a view outwards with a length of N. Then, the face of the cube because the near clipping plane and the projected area at distance N becomes the far clipping plane, basically constructing a frustum. Then, it's just a matter of drawing the scene 6 times in various places, thus creating a map at that point you can use for effects.

Is that about right?

(checked)
Thanks man this one worked. Actually wait what the fuck I think I must be retarded or something, I just re-read the "The ask_number() function" again and it did had this part, oh man and I missed it all the time.

The ask_number() FunctionThis function asks for a number within a range. It receives a question, a low number, and ahigh number. It returns a number within the range specified.def ask_number(question, low, high):"""Ask for a number within a range."""response = Nonewhile response not in range(low, high):response = int(input(question))return response

I didn't know you could make games using sql

Wait until you see what C#'s LINQ can do

I programmed some AI steering/avoidance behaviors using only LINQ. I tell myself I'll rewrite it when I have time

The idea is that it will allow you to simply turn off all computations that are too much until it is at a very basic graphical state, in which it can no longer be simplified.

The level geometry will not be more intensive than the Source engine, and will probably be slightly simpler than the kind of level geometry found in Source. So, what's left with all the computational power is to add in fancy shadows and normal maps and other extra stuff. The engine is actually going to be optimized for older computers by design, so modern computers will not run it as fast as they could. However, modern graphics cards are so fast, that this is negligible.

Lighting can be a lot of things, I plan on offering several lighting models that will be more and more complex. Basically from fullbright, to vertex lighting, to light maps, to basic stencil shadows, to advanced stencil shadows. I'm still unsure what it will look like in the end.

How is it? I've never used it extensively (no pun intended). I prefer to just write my collection-handling code "correctly" the first time

It does what I want, it just happens to scatter garbage everywhere as it does it. I posted most of it over here.

Quake 2 with stencil shadows and mouse collectibles.

Barely. Assuming you maintain a SortedList or SortedDictionary based on distance or what have you, you wouldn't even need to touch LINQ. Not that that's a bad thing, it just barely relies on it

possibly, I don't like how washed out quake 2 looks and I do plan on having a higher contrast than quake 2, as well as higher polycounts on the models. I want it to look closer to quake 3, but with more shadows so that I can make my fast computer do something with all of its extra power.

Oh baby, almost back to where I was (I stripped down a lot of code and managers and behaviors and restructured it all)

Sounds like time and effort that could be spent making progress

Would this be dynamically adjusted (e.g. framerate below 30 Hz, kill AA, see how much the framerate improves)? Or are these just menu options?

Right now command line options, in the future menu options. I can't really see myself programming in a whole dynamic graphics system to ensure a framerate, just because it's a very non-trivial thing to do and I already have a lot of other non-trivial things to do. It's feature creep and i'm truly not skilled enough at all to even make it. The only people who pulled it off in a modern engine AFAIK is Bungie with Halo 5, and that's on something that's exclusive to one hardware configuration, which means you can reliably benchmark how fast the hardware is going to be, unlike on PC. Video related is a pretty in depth explanation about how they managed to do it.

I think Path of Exile dynamically downsizes the texture LoD it uses or sets the target output size REALLY small or some kind of hack like that. I've had it run at 24 fps stable on a potato even when it gets busy

Wasn't RAGE/id Tech 5 supposed to do that? Also rendering particles effects at a lower resolution seems like a pretty great performance trick.

morning chaps

Shieet, since I completely decoupled from the XNA content project shit, I don't have a way to render text to the screen.

I mean, I planned this, but I need to implement my own sprite-based stuff sooner than I thought I would

Morning.

Sure, other games have done it, it's just that I don't have the same kinds of resources or work time that those studios have. Its just a matter of keeping the amount of features small enough where finishing the project is realistic. Which, it's really already got too many features to begin with.

Okay now it's bedtime

I made some overlay effects. First is marching ants, but I probably won't use masks to punch it out, so it'll be what you see, mostly. Might make it more sparse or something.

Also I made a checkboard grid, for fading the backgrounds out a bit (this preserves my palette, so I don't eg draw incorrect colors with alpha blending). Not that it matters, since I'll probably make judicious use of that and shaders, but as long as the base sprites are consistent it should be fine. More of a stylistic thing I guess

Titanfall 2 also has it, and that is Source engine. The system i would come up with wouldn't really be very complicated at all:
Assuming you have a "canvas" texture on which you render everything you have, then render that texture to the screen, which is how post processing pipelines and therefore every modern engine works.
Then in the rendering loop, you don't have to care about it at all

Texture* activeCanvas;void renderGame() { activeCanvas->clear(); checkForCanvasModeSwitch(); for (auto entity : entites) { activeCanvas->draw(entity); } display->draw(activeCanvas);}

this is what my windows10 looks like

It's true that, I really only remembered that video from when I watched it in 2015, so I thought it had much more than dynamic resolution scaling. That's why I was being inaccurate, I didn't rewatch the whole video.

There are definitely ways to do what you're thinking of, it's just that right now I don't have any reason to implement it. I'm still working on the rendering engine, so I don't yet have anything that can challenge the renderer in such a way. Also, it's absolutely not easy or simple to add in Vulkan, so if I work on it, it's essentially a week of work for a pretty auxiliary feature, when I need to be working on essential features. Sure, I could change my graphics engine to use render-to-texture, but it's just feature creep and a distraction right now.

I do want to add in something like this, and if I had infinite time, I would. I might add it to this project AFTER the most important things are finished.

And, to clarify on the "week of work", its mostly Vulkan. I'm learning a lot, but Vulkan is an API that I don't have a good enough understanding of yet.

And, maybe not literally a week, but that's the worst case scenario. I'll stop replying to myself and go to bed.

This actually happened to me.

How do I make my particles not shit

But then WHO WAS PHONE?

Dudes what happened to this project

There was supposed to be a demo
no webms survived, I think?

Literally the only thing I know about this thing is that whenever it's posted half a million (1)s flood in to say it's shit and tell the guy making it to fuck off, and it's pretty much only posted on /agdg/ and never here.

got any recent posts with it? Actually, I got these pics from the thread archive so it WAS posted sometimes.

And the (1) flood is something that has been happening a lot recently (well, that included me just a second ago)

>>>/agdg/27271
Note that the site crapped out between then and now, turning all the IDs into the same one. Saw the same thing happen in an earlier progress general but that one was bumped off the board.

When did that happen? Every time I saw this being posted here, nobody ever replied. I remember one time he even posted something along the lines of 'please respond' along with another screenshot.

Huh? Didn't know that the forced Source meme and the .webms with the creepy aesthetic game were the same thing. In fact, i thought there was just this image you linked to.
Pretty sad, I was actually expecting something from it.

When I say "it's pretty much only posted on /agdg/", perhaps you shouldn't compare what you see in the Holla Forums threads to what I say.

Well, I'm not 100% certain about that, I'm actually not even sure why I assumed so now.

Well, maybe you just got them confused

archive.is/vMjLF#selection-32533.0-32627.52
the guy seems to have been the real deal.

With Strawberry Octopus, GDIDoujins, Kowloon dev and turtle waifu dev all having come back after a long absence (or at least no progress posted) recently, I am hopeful that others will at least chime in as well.

Is there a way to get the character controller in Unity to use a box collider or do I just have to use a rigidbody.

Don't worry, eventually inventing wheels will get old and you'll get to actually do stuff - give it a few years. By that time you'll also have substantial set of skills from all that wheel inventing you've been doing.

Doesn't seem so, the API doesn't seem to allow it either.
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CharacterController.html

Personally, I'm for making your own in any case.

Alright, gonna learn to make my own.

why though
unitylist.com/browse/all?search=character controller

you're providing him with learning material.

going to introduce a proper gamestate pattern and clean up the the big mess, I'm scared of how much I might have to 're-think', I hate doing big changes.

it's a great feeling when it works even better when you're done

new skeleton turned out quite ok in game, now just need to rerig it

Betrayer 2: Dungeon Boogalo

Spooky, mate. Looks good.
Morning lads. ADD-user here, I've switched projects again. FFS

Spookaloo

i want to play this right now

Fucking finally, basic topology is done
or is it? im afraid of applying the mirror and moving to next stage

Just GNU my shit up

what the fuck is wrong with the foot?

dunno, is anything wrong with the topology?

is this bad?

nah, it was just the angle (and lack of zoom)

Well, how COULD you tell?

post image and let us guess

I was about to post the solution, but sure.

It wasn't related to the thing they did per se, but the observation that each tile is broken into 4 subtiles and I could tell because the wall corner is split into smaller chunks on top

Oh hey, the agdg logo makes a great mouse cursor too

apparently anons have been making an rpgmaker game

I'm not even mad, just disappointed by myself
jk, I'm actually losing weight

Can't quite get the enabled barrier to have the feeling I want

I wish I could make some forward progress that had something to show at least. FUCKING HELL MATES.

I'm going to take it as a gamejam and do wathever

I hear ya user. Refactoring and adding potentially visible sets doesn't make for exciting posts.

nm fixed it

I know that feel, this is why I sometimes post code since there is nothing else to show.

Can a white man please explain to me why the fuck my brush is being tinted white in the UMG? I'm so fucking mad I don't understand what the fuck I'm doing wrong.

I dunno have you tried changing those?

Every day man. Valgrind keeps me sane at least.

Yes, apparently tinting white is supposed to do nothing because it multiplies colors by 1.

ayy

Apparently this is fixed by ticking the sRGB box in the texture's own settings. The more you know.

Good news! I was able to recover one of my old PSDs so the skulls are back

I'm curious; what is the age of the average aggydagger?

I tried to make an item pickup for a "jinx" status. It prevents you from collecting items, gems, or keys. I'm not really feeling it, but I feel like a skull or lightning bolt symbol is important

the silhouette of that skull is a bit ambiguous and doesn't read well at a glance. I would consider simplifying the design of the skull so the basic shape is more pronounced

I also started on a ball and chain but not liking it either. Oh well, back to coding for a bit

is this also supposed to be an status indicator or an item? If it's a status indicator I would assume it is for a "locked" or "Imprisoned" status in which case I would say the use of a padlock symbol would be better. But if you really want a ball and chain, the chain should be much thicker.

Here is an example that's pretty simple but unambiguous

the ball and chain could work if the chain part was visible instead of just an string.
remember that when doing icons you are operating with concepts
ideas, logic, symbols and emotions.
realism has no place near these concepts

Well the pick up doubles as a status indicator. It's supposed to make you move at half speed

Eugh, I feel another rewrite coming on

I have a DrawArgs class that acts as a container for SpriteBatch.Draw() calls, and it has pretty much everything, position, texture ref, scaling, etc. The problem is that populating it is cumbersome and I might only want eg some values to be saved (I might have a certain way to determine the onscreen position, for example)

I made another class called Transformation (rather than Effect, since it would conflict with shader namespace). This was originally going to store two matrices and a timer, so I could interpolate between them, but they're designed around 3D. One Matrix is 16 float values, and I'd have to interpolate them every frame, then decompose them into two V3's and a quarternion, and then convert those into V2 objects. Messy.

So I made my Transformation class instead store a V2 for position, rotation, scale, and color. It doesn't have a timer, but you provide any float value for it to interpolate (this means other shit can determine a 0..1 curve however and give it to the object). Then, it will translate appropriately.

So I still have some halfassed use of DrawArgs, but now I can model complex transitions over time, which is what I really wanted. I still need to figure out what the fuck I'm doing with my Sprite class too

Also how's this for a "jinx" icon?

Alright probably my last post ITT/tonight, current state of tools. Just need to redo the vest and do a haste tool

Magnet lets you drag objects to an adjacent tile, curse prevents you from collecting tools, gems, or keys, but will let you push them instead. Speed boots let you move at double speed, and ball and chain slows you down to half speed.

I was thinking that the B+C would allow you to break through regular walls on touch, prevent you from entering water tiles (even if you have a life belt), and negate the effects of speed boots (so you move at normal speed)

Rate my UI mockup out of ten? I've posted this months ago but I'm getting around to actually implementing this so I need a go ahead.

Who comes up with your gamedev name, the anons who see your work and eventually just know you as (your name given) or do you just come up with it by yourself?

It's a given name around these parts, unless you dox yourself. I've had both happen

Interesting so I suppose that your first game pretty much would define you name forever here, spooby.

Or your most prominent. Speebot dev had other games under his belt before he got his name.

I like it a lot. You should let people customize the tint.

My work on animation and modeling earlier got people calling me "That Elliot Rodger guy" and Rustdev/rustfag. Nicknames don't die easily around here, especially not if you fuck up somehow.

The tint bit has me worried, though. How much customization can you allow until it starts hurting the look of the game?

I don't think HUD tint can fuck with aesthetics too much.

Fair enough. I think I'll add that option, UE4 lets you do that incredibly easily anyway.

song?

looks real nice brother

The chat mockup is pretty realistic

new bread when, we're already way over bump limit
i've got my 3d modelling course again. good thing i can just watch it live instead of going there in person. last time there were only like 3 people there aside from me, mostly everyone is watching this live
welp, time to totally not pay attention and fuck up the poly count

such is life as engine dev

sad

Page fucking 13, as the rules of the board state. Why do we keep getting idiots asking this same question?

we're nearly there, just do it already

we did it reddit
polycount makes me want to kill myself, and it's mostly because i made the majority of the cilinders with around 20 axis divisions

Fugg :DDDD, gibs me dat DOD/ECS already.

Morning lads.

wew lads

Thanks! I'll be putting it together now.

I am gamedev now

NEW THREAD REEEEE

ship it to ubisoft

Done:

page 13 boyo

Wooow dude hotpockets have deleted the new thread, bugged moderator mechanic.

where did the chat dialog come from? did you take it from another online game or did you come up with it yourself?

I looked over my gdd, thought about what player interaction might be like and wrote it myself.

Are you cursed or something?

it's pretty believably written. I guess I was just surprised because of all the cringey ads with scripted player dialog that I've seen

not as cursed as the image you posted

Congratulations either way, mate.

Thank you, user.

thanks

Yeah this shit is cringey:
youtube.com/watch?v=uqoX0WSE-SE
But this is hilarious:
youtube.com/watch?v=LmS9vcVNr5A

Fucking hell, that is cringey as shit.
Also, topology is kicking my butt. Happy thanksgiving, everyone!

It gets better. Practice, sleep, practice more. Your brain adapts and digests information on its' own in the background.

THICC

It's actually page 13 now, mates.

A mod specifically gave us the okay to make it one page early before, why is it not okay now

archive?

It was on a friday or saturday about a month ago, maybe?

Something to the tune of "fuck it, it's a weekend and it's slow, go ahead"

should i bother fucking with godot's z variable, or should i make another "z" variable if i want to have fake 3d in a 2d "view"

Fucking hell new bread GET THE FUCK IN HERE
!
!