Technically Ambitious Games

Is there a single game that is currently in development that's technically ambitious and is actually trying to push what vidya can do forward? The only game I can think of that released this year that did anything new was Breath of The Wild with it's climbing tech. So I'm wondering when's the next time we're gonna get a game that actually does something new and impressive.
Also feel free to post any games that came out this year you think are technically impressive
Hard Mode: No Butterlord or NEVER EVERs like Scam Citizen

Star Citizen is a "technically" ambitious game

Kingdoms Come and Cyberpunk 2077 may take gaming very much forward.

Clang… lol

Turns out complexity and real life physics #whoa don't make good games.

When will they learn…

Nobody has ever had that much ambition to extort that much cash since Snake Oil salesmen.

Like pottery

Kingdom Come looks good, will be keeping an eye on it. Cyberpunk seems to be going through development hell with constantly shifting employees and rumors of constant change in creative direction. So I'm not as excited for Cyberpunk.

clearly making some retarded wii based controller to rent to other companies for free shekels, so it doesn't matter how fucking fantastic it is if it comes out with a 200$ controller to play 1 fucking game.

Maybe he just didn't want to play hardmode.

How was that a technically ambitious thing in any way?

Probably more likely than I'd think

Because it hadn't been done before To my knowledge. Most triple AAA trash that does nothing mechanically unique just copy-pastes code that they already have for their specific mechanics. The programmers at Nintendo had to actually figure out how to make the system work. I know what you're thinking, and yes, it is very sad that actually trying something new at all can be considered ambitious. That's just how the current state of the industry is though

How the fuck do you know that? There isnt even gameplay out for CP2077.

Anthem and Monster Hunter World seems to be attempting to push their technical limits.

Anthem looks so big and cluttered with shit everywhere I dont even know how it would even work.

CD Projeckt Red has been getting grant money from the Polish government for R&D. They've only recently started hiring artists for the game assets. It's also how they've been remaining independent despite only developing three games since their existence.

Well during entire thing when he runs somewhere he runs in some valley so I will assume a lot of invisible walls and scripted jet pack fragments.
With open world being a lot of linear path ways.

Ambitious for what? The ps3? It looks really ugly.

It won't

Their dev tools that will be given to modders are quite impressive. Look into their dev tools sometime, real interesting stuff.

Yeah, just like TW3, R6 Siege, Oblivion, Watch_Dogs, The Division and every Far Cry game after 2.

CPR ain't looking too hot.

I'll always say it's kinda crazy how Call of Duty looks pretty good considering it's using the Quake 3 engine, but outside of that, the only game I can think of is maybe Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and that's pushing it.

Call of Duty uses the Quake 3 engine in the same way that your computer monitor is like a slide projector.

Repeat that for me in simple speak.

After watching the whole video i dont really see a positive outcome out of this, CDP wont change upper management

Shit is fucked, their only option is non-pol but those probably cant into anything. The company is fucked unless it gets a major restructure. I don't even see CP 2077 coming out.

They wont because the upper menagement wont fire themselves out of good will, the current system barely works but works and even if the game will be a flop due to miss management CDP still have lots of other sources of income

It uses the Unreal Engine though.

Nothing comes close to Dorf Fort.

You had procedural generation shit with Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky. The former actually delivered something the latter made garbage. The playing space is correctly enormous- doesn't necessarily make a good game either.

No it doesn't.

I don't even know why they try that line anymore. We've had more than enough games with people playing early demos that changed completely for release that nobody believes anything until the final marketing blitz when they release tons of gameplay footage.

Everything else may as well be pre-rendered cut scenes.

Procedural generation has been done in part for decades, though. The first popular game to rely heavily on it was Spore, back in 2007. NMS wasn't anything new.

what?

It's great to be able to travel the world without restrains, but as far as "tech" goes i think the climbing concept comes from games that tried features like those before, like SoTC or even openworlds like Just Cause.
That said the fact that every square meter of the Botw map is worth exploring is something i didn't expect when playing it.

Surprised they didn't just try to make something like a Bushido Blade spiritual successor with normal controls, then if you get profit from selling that, make a sequel with sword motion controller.
Then again, you aren't going to make a good sword motion controller unless it's attached to a robot arm to provide force feedback when it gets pushed/stopped back by a virtual object like going against an opponents weapon or hitting armor, otherwise your basically got the swordfighting/kendo game from Wii Sports Resort.

I played this VR game that you whiz in, and it has that hd rumble thing. Felt like I was actually taking a piss.
REmarkable.

SoTC has you climb the Colossus alone though, right?
And Just Cause has no climbing, only hooking around.

The point of "climbing tech" was the amount of extra freedom you got from that.
For instance, you're in a town, you look at every house around you and you know you can actually climb to their rooftop if you feel like it or you want to look around from a vantage point or you like entering houses from the second floor.

It's probably considered amazing by people that tried games like Oblivion and Skyrim before where they roll an acrobatic thief and all this means is that you're a warrior with less armor and more speed.
No amazing acrobatic feets, thief roadways in the roof or climbing around to dodge guards.

It's an amazing thing in the game that you only notice when you set down and say "today I'll go here and do this quest" but mid-journey you look to the side, see a tall mountain with a funny looking rock on top and decide "I'll just check it out and glide down here afterwards" and when you re-open your map, you're on the other side of the world and you no longer remenber what the original plan was.

M&B was innovative, but bannerlord should be about polishing the innovations

It’s also something that isn’t true. BotW is massive stretches of dead nothingness. SMO, on the other hand, is jam fucking packed with things to do. It’s as you describe, not BotW.

you mean that thing Ubisoft of all fucking people perfected 10 years ago

OP, How much cock do you suck?

There is absolutely nothing technically impressive or innovative about BotW other than being able to look well enough on shitty hardware (and that's mostly due to extremely shitty LoD and great arty style direction).
You could praise some of their game design choices and pulling off ideas well enough to make an entertaining game, but that's that.
If you don't understand shit about the technical aspect of games, don't make threads about it.

They took something that could've been interesting and turned it into a rote task that required zero thought.

That's not a technical matter, that's a gameplay design issue.
Why are people so fucking retarded?

No, faggot. What is wall-jumping? What is wall-sliding? What are enemies that crawl along the wall (Metroid Prime among others)?
Fuck you for a waste of a thread.

It's a slower walk on vertical that you can only do through very specific channels and you're even allowed to freely bypass later on in Syndicate.
That's "perfected" only in the sense that chopping your legs and putting you in a wheelchair is perfecting movement.

The weather changes, especially with the dragons, are pretty cool.
Sound design too.

No, it's technical the moment you are restricted in what you can climb strictly by the footholds they give you because they can't make actual climbing. It's a fake attempt that bugs out all the fucking time since you're not so much moving upwards as you're animating yourself going upwards.

Besides, the Stamina part of BOTW plays a role into it since different slopes change your speed, making steep climbs take longer and costing more stamina as a result. There's a technical aspect there in taking into account the elevation of the slope mixing with the gameplay.
Something AC can never do because their climbing has nothing technical about it.

What is creating an updraft with a fire arrow to gain altitude and glide around?
What's shield-sliding?

But that's wrong. The framework they use for procedural animation could be applied to random natural surface or even any surface with some parameters to make it look somewhat natural like in BotW.

Wha-what? Asscreed games are utter garbage, but the animation is good and -with the exception of unity- they don't bug out nearly as much. It would have been easier for them to animate an homogeneous climable surface (like the side of a mountain in BotW).

That's stupidly simple, it's a fucking check on surface angle. Games have taken angle relative to character center to alter how certain things work for decades, usually for movement speed, but applying that to stamina is conceptually identical.
An stamina system as a whole is also a gameplay design matter.
Again, you have no fucking clue about what you're talking about. Fuck off.

You know what I don't see a lot of? Emergent gameplay. You know what I'm more interested in than graphics?

Any game that has projectiles bouncing off walls at the correct angle of reflection does this already.
if (fire.posX == link.posX && fire.posY == link.posY)
{
link.velZ = 5.0;
}

Wew, I'm a hackerman.
So, like horse mechanics, but faster? K.

He is fucking retard, I don't think he will give up on his retarded argument even if you show him how to implement that on a simple Unity demo.

And yet it wasn't. I wonder why… Oh wait, it's because the only way it could would be if there were obvious rocks sticking out to put your feet in.
What good is a "procedural animation framework" if it restricts what you can do with it and bugs the fuck out constantly anyway?

AHAHAH
All of them are terrible in lipsych and with enemies sweeping on the floor to contact with your weapons or your character making jerky motions because interpolation is for faggots.

And yet Asscreed can even go that far. Even Thief only got somewhat close with the Gloves in Dark Shadows.

Says the guy defending Asscreed and talking about an amazing "procedural animation framework" that could be used for a lot of things that actually aren't for some reason. Really makes you think.

Nice going trying to show off your leet mathskills but you're a faggot since you're considering a single point in space like the retarded nigger you are.

Try instead if(Vector3.Distance(player.pos, fire, pos) < 50) for a radius surrounding the fire epicenter and assuming a radial distribution up to 50 units away. You can also be a dumb nigger and actually code the Distance function yourself if you even knew anything about Vectors, but the point is moot anyway, considering fire doesn't form a nice little circle all the time and instead spreads in whatever shape the grass currently is.

Rather actually only downhill, damages your shield but let's collide with monsters for extra damage and is later used to ride sandwhales in the desert.
But of course, it doesn't matter how fun it actually is because it's from a game you didn't play.

this is the most cringy unrealistic demo i've ever seen. they should have just dropped the voice acting

Kek, thanks for burning down your own point, nigger. Never post here again. Also:
You know what? Keep posting, you only reveal how much more of a retard you are. Maybe we can get you banned too.

That's not how it works. They decided to use stepping stone approach to avoid making like spiderman climbing which would be out of place with the realistic looking game.

The animations are good for the most part. Of course too much motion capture gives you jerky moves, but that's a byproduct of western AAA. They love their MC.

Retards would be falling from the side of buildings all the time. The setting doesn't lend itself to stamina limits as it wouldn't add anything to the game. The walls you climb aren't nearly as big as the mountains on BotW, if they were to have a stamina bar, it would be either too short or useless.

Are you really that retarded? I said the games are shit already, I even said BotW has its merits on the game design department. Do you really think I'm defending Asscreed?
Holy shit, you're easily one of the stupidiest anons I've bumped into in months. Good job.

Fuck, some of you people are delusional.

I thought he was making a pun.

Even star citizen is more original and interesting no matter how much of a scam it is.

Climbing was done in Daggerfall and it could be done on any surface. In fact it's pretty fucking important because you can get stuck in some dungeons if you are not prepared.

YEAH, WELL, THE CLIMBING ANIMATION ON THE LEGEND OF ZELD™: BREAST OF THE WILD ARE SO MUCH MORE BETTER THAN THE NO ANIMATIONS ON YOUR SHITTY WESTERN-MADE OLD GAME. PLUS STAMINA WAS NOT IMPORTANT FOR CLIMBING AND YOU COULD BUG IF YOUR SKILL WAS TO HIGH. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA™: BREAST OF THE WILD REALLY PERFECT IN-GAME CLIMBING WITH CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY NO ONE HAS EVER USED IN A GAME. FUCK YOU.

HLOD is letting devs place a lot more detail in bigger sightlines

I laughed. Thank you.