Hunter/Detective/Assassin/Bullshit Vision

Can we talk about this? Any remotely recent game that actually managed to pull it off without it being heavy handed press F to crutch? Why can't we have more of the AVP predator vision modes?

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=-oSlbyLAksM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Its worse when they put it in rpgs.

It's called predator vision, faggot

There's more than one, you know.

I get why it's there but isn't there a more elegant solution to forced grayscale and muh two details glowing?

Asscreed Unity, funnily enough.
It introduced a number of investigation missions. You still used the eagle vision to find clues, sure, but the clues were just that. They didn't tell you the answer outright, you had to piece together the big picture once you found them all, and choose the suspect among all involved.

predator vision does not penetrate walls.

Aliens vs Predator 2010 alien vision. Fixes all your problems and more.

This is never acceptable, I cannot think of a single instance where wallhacking doesn't make a game worse.

Clearly you didn't see the film 'Predators'. They can fucking see sound. From behind shit.

The fix isn't even that hard.
And 2. Have a meter. It runs down as you use it, and refills when you don't. If you run it down to empty, it refills much slower, and can't be used until fully charged.
Combine that with areas where you have to use the vision more (dark, smoke, etc) and it could be interesting.

I like the approach of it highlighting important things, but makes everything else hard as fuck to see. So you snap on to see where something is, then snap off so you can tell where you're going.

New Hitman does it alright
It's good for timing specific executions

If everything important is highlighted- why look at anything else?
If nothing is highlighted- make sure your art design makes those objects stand out the players will miss it. Every single player who buys the game must be able to beat it, or we'll get a bad metacritic score.

So sort of like the weapon-wheel from Rachet and Clank?
Can it be abused (rotate the camera while in slow-mo to get a better look at your surroundings in a situation where you should be getting shot to shit)?

So you aren't tripping over boxes and running into walls like a fool

Considering you can't do anything but move when it's on it's hard to abuse, and once you're in a shootout you have failed in hitmanning you can win gunfights on your own though, using "instinct" in a gunfight isn't smart because all it does is highlight enemies that are already shooting at you while you can't shoot back.

I haven't tried it but that sounds like the exact same babying bullshit. I take you can see thru walls as well?

Items only in your vicinity (in the room you're in), for example screwdriver in an open toolbox, or a coin among trash
You see target's outline.

To paraphrase a dear author: if only you shared a single neck with the rest of the kind so I could wring it easier.

user, I don't care whether it's ON/OFF in the options. And I'm not here to judge whether you like that game or not. I do care when you pull a half-assed shilling routine in such a way that not only insults the intelligence but goes even further in what's frankly some pathetic damage control.

Fuck you, you lying sack of shit. Fuck your whore of a mother, your cuck father, your gypsy lineage, your gold fish, your bowling team, and everything else you stand by that I might have forgotten.

This is the first hitman game I didn't finish. Hollywood effects and all, but no heart. Every faggot across the globe has the same voice, the babby vision. Just fuck.

This series needs to die.

These things are solely added because casuals can't deduce where the enemies are. It's also why third person stealth took off.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy did vision modes right; each one has upsides and downsides and all cost energy.

Highlights enemies, shows which ones are heavily cyborg, reveals cloaked enemies. But the metastreumonic force is hard to see so they can sneak up on you while it's active.
Shows enemy movements, including through walls, but highly obscures vision of everything else. Works on metastreums.
Highlights all enemies including metastreums and shows them throught walls (severely blurs everything else but enemies are crystal clear). But has a fixed duration and only activates when your energy bar is completely full so you can't activate it on the fly, you have to stop what you're doing and top up your energy bar and then activate it before doing anything else.

ST is the best one. It also highlights enemies in line of sight, but those are still affected by the blurry filter. When all you need to do is kill hordes, it's all you'll need.

Why did they give geralt a beard again? He hates beards.

???

how is pic related worse than opening a map and seeing target's exact location?

hooktube.com/watch?v=-oSlbyLAksM

You're either dumb to the point of fast food and ubisoft title induced lobotomy or intentionally leading me on. Either way I'm tired of feeding your contrarian fetish; go fuck (You)rself.

To paraphrase another, that's a fucking faggoty post and you should be embarrassed.

Because he can't stop his beard from growing. You can shave it as he prefers (which I did with my "canon" playthrough), but it becomes a bit of a bother shaving it off.

I wish they did something else. Trying to play without it becomes a massive chore. Following footsteps is damn near impossible without WITCHER VISION.

You're not wrong. It was horrible shit and I went through it all. I guess there's just only so much you can force yourself to eat. I think age is playing a factor, too.

I miss the fun of that first hotel kill. Putting a round in that fat fuck in the shower.

Mirror's Edge?

The problem with Mirror's Edge's "things turn red" is that it didn't need to be a dynamic vision effect at all. Just paint important parts of the environment red, and make extra stuff like red enemies a separate option. As is it's distracting and immersion breaking watching a pipe change color before your eyes, and the levels lack color variety when the feature's turned off.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had some bitchin' vision modes. Balanced, but powerful enough.

Metroid Prime and it's scan visor? Allows you to scan enemies and environment for information/story, but your arm cannon couldn't be fired when using it.
Also had thermal (for hot objects/sight in darkness) and x-ray for seeing invisible/breakable objects.

Honestly, I think the Prime games were the only one to do that shit right.

The main issue is that they don't work within the game/world. Batman, Samus, cyborgs can use these OP visions because they have the technology, at least in universe, to do so. There isn't an excuse as to how Geralt can highlight objects and clues, see sonar rings around distant enemies or how Agent 47 can do the same. They "focus" sure, that makes sense, but focusing should sharpen your ears and eye sight on a certain part of the screen, not highlight the world and make it easy.

Geralt's makes sense because it is highlighting things he can detect with us enhanced senses. Agent 47's kinda makes sense with the timesow and highlighting some things, but no matter how hard a human being focuses he cant see through fucking walls.

Bloodlines tied it to your character's perception stats.

I remember an article years ago talking about the overuse of detective mode in Arkham Asylum and how that particular journo/blogger basically played through the game with it on, he tried talking about how it should have been balanced, while a good chunk of the comments brought up how Prime had multiple visors and was able to use them effectively. Yet, it feels like because of MP being a Nintendo hardware exclusive, it hasn't had enough of the mainstream audience (including game developers) to play and learn from it.

Prime had a very good balance for it visors types and design and the visual effects of each, though in its sequels they couldn't really top what the original did.

Prime 1 visors
Note: Scan/Thermal/X-ray all remove the radar and mini map from the HUD.

Prime 2 Echoes visors
Note: Interesting enough Dark and Echo visors keep the radar and mini map unlike Prime 1, while scan doesn't. In Japan MP2:E is called Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes, putting both new visors in the title.

Prime 3
>X-Ray: fuck, it returns again, similar to Prime 1 but also picks up temperature of some objects in orange like Prime 1's thermal visor, allows viewing through a certain material in the environment and when combined with a new beam weapon see through armor plating of that material to expose certain enemy weakpoints to instantly kill them (like headshoting space pirate commandos), can interface with space pirate door code locks. Disadvantages, like Prime, view is monochrome but not short sighted like that version. Phazon hypermode enemies can overload it causing to to cut to static
Note: X-Ray has radar and mini map in HUD, Scan and Command do not.

The thing about games like this, especially RPGs, is that there is a truck load of information that they can't convey to the player like scent or small vibrations or super perception.

Games are restricted to audio and visual cues (extra rumble for controllers but that barely counts). If you're playing a character with an extra sense of smelling, how are you gonna give that feedback to the player? By making an extra vision mode that highlights smell trails for you to follow.
But what if the character is said to have extraordinary eyesight and perception powers? If you just dump the clues on the screen, the player himself better have extraordinary eyesight as well or he is gonna miss those, despite his character supposely being good at finding them.

Fundamentally, it's all about conveying extra information that your character is supposed to be able to get but the only way the game can tell you is with sound or visual cues.
There's nothing inherently wrong with this provided it's properly balanced, which it often isn't, with the Batman games ending up like spooky adventures in black and white where a hooded figure tackles down blue skeletons.

The balance is simple, just assume that every extraordinary sense requires the character to focus on it. This means you walk slower, you likely can't fight at all while using those senses and you might even not get them active immidiatly, instead needing a few seconds before they are fully active.
Even make the character extra vulnerable during those moments, making flashbangs harm you for longer or enemies getting free crits if they hit you during those moments.

stopped reading there

That wasn't really the same. It didn't let you look through walls. You could see through very thin partitions with thermal vision, but even then, it just showed characters and lights, it wasn't a magic "press X to find the thing you need to interact with" button.