Pokemon Casual Thread Edition

I know there is currently a discussion about USUM spoilers and all, also, there are usually some fullderp and competitive discussions here and there, can we just ramble about the current and past games in general? recently I got a 2DS so I can finally catch up from XY and beyond.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z4i3m4Ks1-w
youtube.com/watch?v=Cuw7uC2EeVU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is it worth the slog of the early game lads

I was never onto those or the Ranger series, I always wondered why Mystery Dungeon never gave you some stuff for the mainline games like Ranger did.

Theres already a fave pokemon thread on the catalog.
Reported for dupe thread

Checked the catalog, is not the same kind of thread.

Great I cant wait to make a recurring general about pokemon tcg for gbc

I think you can use this one since is basically the FFA kind of thread, unless you are trying to be obnoxious and play junior moderator.

Anyway, what are the best wonder trades one can give? I mean, pokemon with egg moves? starters, anything?

Version exclusives.

Since this thread is pretty much shit, dubz names my US trainer.

I like these threads when they turn into bullying.

What starter?
Alison Rapp

Sphere birb.

digimon was always better

US/UM feels more like a rom hack of sun and moon more than an actual (((new))) pokemon game. B2/W2 was the last good game.

well you replied, so it worked :^)

I don't think the games are similar enough to compare them like that, but that's just my opinion.

Why does Gardevoir sound like a Vocaloid milf?

Never played Pokken Tournament, but I was kind of not happy with how cry samples for the old pokemon were changed from XY onwards.

Are there any ROMhacks that improve the speed/pacing of gen4? The only major issue I had with the gen as a whole was text & battle speed.

>youtube.com/watch?v=z4i3m4Ks1-w
>youtube.com/watch?v=Cuw7uC2EeVU

I made a thread a while back where I autistically rated every pokeball design. I mentioned that I liked using Ultras on legendaries because they caught Mewtwo/Deoxys/Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres in the anime spin-offs, and because in Sun and Moon, they were the in-game pokeball that was used to contain the Elite Four's pokemon, Champion Cynthia's pokemon, and Anabel's legendaries.

Now, with USUM's release, I'm not so sure anymore. Giovanni, Archie, Maxie, Cyrus, Ghetsis, and Lysandre ALL keep their best pokemon in Master balls. Even the legendary ones such as Kyogre, Groudon, Palkia, Reshiram, Yveltal, and Mega Mewtwo Y.

It made me rethink whether or not I should stop using Ultras and switch to Masters. Or fuck it, maybe I should just catch every pokemon in the classic red ones? I'm not really sure anymore.

Blame animefags. Fucking nips decided pokemon should say their names for the anime, just making animal cries wasn't casual enough for their audience. And then gayfreak caved in with that shit, even changed Pikachu's canon cry to the voiceover.

Go red only and be a real man.

Why is it stuck between these two extremes?

Pokemon was easy since the beginning, it's just as a kid you weren't gud so you thought it was harder than it really was.

That said. How the fuck do you even measure how hard an RPG is? By the amount of grindan you need to get anywhere? Grindan just makes the game shit, it's nothing but a cheap way to extend playtime.

kek

The gym leader castles in the old pokemon stadium games presented more of a challenge than the gameboy/gbc games did. Especially when you unlock round 2 mode. Probably as difficult as it's gonna get as far as gen 1 and gen 2 challenges are concerned.

Would be cheap as fuck, I guess. I only get a few Masters per game, so the limited quantity is not gonna cut it.

I mean it wasn't a super hard series but there was at least some challenge compared to now where you can just spam one attack and win 90% of the time and in the older games it got harder as it went along with gym leaders/trainers having more and more Pokemon to battle with and the games were usually well paced where you'd be close to the level of the gym when you arrived there.
With modern day pokemon, you're over leveled, gym leaders and trainers have a handful of pokemon at best, and you can just smash your head against your DS and win.
With rom hacks, usually you have gym leaders start out with 6 pokemon, usually with max IV/EVs and have access to multiple super potions and you usually get to them underleveled.

which rom hacks would you recommend?

I played UM early and I agree it feels like a ROM hack. I would recommend it over the regular if you haven't played either, but if you have played the original you probably don't want to bother playing the Ultra version unless you're really into Pokemon games.
Here are some cute foxes.

I think you mean cutest fox.

Fuck that retarded shit. If I can ever make a fangame, I'm literally typing out different sounds for every last one like when you talk to Legendaries and not a single one will sound like a retarded third person name.

The series has been ran into the ground and lacks the creativity and game design prowess behind the actual good games in the series.

If they don't release a stadium game for the Switch, they're beyond redemption.
The series already has microtransactions just to transfer from previous gens and it's aimed at manchildren through pandering

can I hug the fox?

3DS Pokemon games have been lacking all around.

It's like these people have never played a pokemon game before. They have always done this.

Espeon wasn't introduced until gen2.

Just bought moon and the pokeball new 2ds xl. It's not atrociously bad so far. Although some of the new Pokemon look stupid as fuck. Round birb is adorable.

Can I wonder trade Toys R Us Arceus clones from my old Diamond game?

Why are grass starters always the worst? It's kind of frustrating to find they get outclassed by the other starters, even when playing casually. There are five things super effective against Grass compared to 3 for Fire and 2 for Water. Fire is super effective against 4 types while Water and Grass are only super effective against 3, two of those being Rock and Ground for both, while Fire deals with the somewhat difficult Steel type. What's more, Fire always seems to get paired up with better typing and stat combinations, and there has only ever been 1 mono-fire starter, while Water and Grass have both had 3.
I'm not the only one who noticed this shit, right?

SMD's early game isn't the worst, it hops fairly quickly after where I think you're at. None of the follow-ups are quite as hands-off as the first games, sadly.

The Ranger concept was in-house Nintendo's, while the MD series are Chunsoft's doing.

How about Dedenne still not having a special fairy-type move. Or Oricorio not getting Heat Wave. Shitmons need love, too.
Or there still being ONE (1) physical fairy-type move.

same here. the stadium games did it better, in my opinion.

That's mt. Silver. Red is training and gold stumbles upon him
It even happens in game

Been replaying colloseum. Pretty fun now that I realize that majority of the shadow Pokemon are shitmon and plan on building a team around them. Also I forgot just how big the Pyrite town dungeon is, just hit the halfway point (underground PC and healer) and it feels like its been forever.

Damn Lusamine is best girl. Shame I don't give a fuck about the game.

Pretty Bulbasaur wasn't the worst Gen 1 starter in general. Plus, grass in general is pretty good early on, considering the gyms in some of the earlier gens. I will agree that in the grand scheme of things, Meganium is easily the weakest of its gen, though. The others seem to be debatable at best.

And 3 of those fire dual-types were fire/fighting.

Only 9 new designs? What a load of shit.

Gamefreak knew exactly what they were doing when they designed her.

Mid-gen games usually don't have any new pokemon at all, and only a few new forms if any.

Even worse, it was 3 generations in a row. That's about 10 years GameFreak was convinced the new fighting starters had to have the fire sub-type.

I'm talking about perfection.
STEEL
FAIRY
DRAGON
What are you, a casual who still relies on Fire/Water/Grass cores?

Grass/Steel
Fire/Fairy
Water/Dragon

There will never be another Stadium/3D battle sim game as long as the main series games are in 3D.
[citation needed]
[citation needed]

I'm glad someone else gets it

Wrong kind tbh

You have to pay for a bank subscription to transfer from earlier gens and the developers are catering to the adults who grew up with the game and have disposable income. There's a reason all the previous villains (with their original designs, not the shitty remake art from just a generation ago) are being crammed into this game. There's a reason they readd features that were in games like yellow, Crystal and Emerald into the new gens. For every step forward after gen 3, they took two steps back.

The real question is, where are the fun 7th gen romhacks that actually make it a good game?

Hng

source?

I'm playing Blaze Black. Enjoying it a lot with all the pokemon you can catch + the more difficult battles.
I fucking hate natures. Does nothing but trigger my autism when one of my mons has a bad nature.

>amiibo-locked legendaries are probably going to be a thing someday

God grinding for natures and IVs and shit is a chore. The reward isn't even that good either as the battle system isn't particularly innovative or exciting either. It's like, what am I grinding for? Just a bunch of simple battles that are so simple to the point where most of it is about mindgames since there are so few options you can take? Hell the entire balance of the game gets thrown off if you use only one Pokemon; it's kind of fucking gay.

I honestly rather have those Amiibo legendary pokemon instead of the system in place atm.

Pkhex and trading exists, autist.

It's the opposite for me: most RPGs actually have a worse system than Pokemon does because Pokemon allows for variations in team building and stat optimization.

Ahh fair enough, so it's like building a deck of trading cards, almost. You just only get your first initial hand and you can play whatever you want, first turn, but you can tweak all of those cards to your hearts content. I get that. I never got too far into teambuilding and honestly I think you're talking from a more competitive aspect whereas I'm kind of just saying shit like FF1 was exhilarating for me when I did my first complete playthrough of it earlier this year.

Try not to get too upset about missing out on something like that. I get the feeling you're the sort of dude who buys a GOTY edition because it has a few extra character costumes even though it's like 10 bucks more. I'd much rather not have Amiibo. Events felt special when I actually got them back in the days of Platinum and whatnot, when they actually did some cool shit, like the Rotom Key.

Anyone have team suggestions for the Battle Arena in Emerald?

what a gay

No honestly I kind of just threw shit in there and hoped for the best.