Tolkien estate opens up

Will we get any good vidya out of this? Or are we damned to get Shadow of War tier filth?
The gameboy LoTR games were top tier and you can't deny that
archive.is/hUxdE

This ain't good.

I see you are a man of culture as well.

Yeah, based off the article it looks like he actually resigned back in the summer and that the Amazon deal happened afterwards. Especially since Amazon is exploring a "prequel" to Fellowship

You know full well what we'll get out of this, and it won't be classical White fantasy.

This is not a good thing, this is a very bad thing, expect more shit like Shadow of War: Just buy it Goy and The Hobbit: We Stretched This Book Out Into 3 Movies to Sell Box Sets.

Orcs always lived peacefully in the Shire, user

Proglibs will jump to the opportunity to instrumentalize this piece of cultural history as a vehicle for their propaganda.

Failing at that they will try destroy it as only propaganda is worth having. Right side of history and all that. Tolkien will be rewritten or written out.

So The Hobbit?

This is like Tolkien dying all over again. The man's dead, now they're gonna kill his legacy by piling filth after shovelful of filth on top of the great man's works.
We all know we're gonna get a literal WE WUZ KANGZ and ILLUVATOR WAS A PROUD BLACK WOMAN OF COLOUR prequel shit.

Fuck LotR

Orc posting was a fun meme. It wasn't supposed to be real. It was just a meme! What have we done?

George, please.

Chaos is fair. This was the most disruptive outcome.

Looking forward to watching Holla Forums shit themsleves tbh

Everything we ever said in jest is becoming true one way or another. What have we done?

infantile leftynigger

unknown what they're planning. Probably some shitty "adventures of Aragorn" heavily inspired by GoT

LotR is Britain's favourite book, I believe. Its very traditional, full of inspiration from European mythology and combined with Christianity. Its a very special book and perhaps one of the few works that still inspires others today. To see it destroyed is going to hurt.

If comparisons between Earth and middle earth should be made;
There are no blacks in the shire because Harad is on the other side of the fucking world, and nobody has fucking flying shit except Gandalf and Mordor. There is no IMMIGRATION, and anybody doing so would probably be considered a nomad, vagrant or wanderer. One of the only reasons we have blacks and other ethnicities in the other parts of the world is because of mass immigration starting from the advent of more advanced freedom of movement, and the slave trade, and Middle Earth has none of either. So even if they'd try to think about it logically it wouldn't really make any sense, but who said they'd use logic to shoehorn in diversity.

I think you greatly overestimate how much Holla Forums cares about fantasy novels. And it's not like there aren't more serious problems.

You know what never got explored? The Blue Wizards.

Calling it now: One of them is an ethnic lady and they go and have adventures in not-Africa which is full of WEWUZ.

It has to be adapted to a modern audience if it wants to have a place in the future history, user. It may hurt, but you know it is a necessary sacrifice for a better, brighter, diverse and inclusive future.

If you match up the maps correctly to where the shire corresponds in England, Rhun is slavlands, Far Harad is Africa, Near Harad is middle east
Morder matches up around Bulgaria

Let's propose Tolkien spinoffs better than the dross they'll inevitably come up with. I always wanted to know what the deal with that legendary 5ft Hobbit hero was.

I can see them saying this.
Fuck.

I don't see a lot of Silmarillion jokes, but by God I always appreciate them.

"Look at me. I'm the Hobbit now!"

so on this topic is LotRO any good?
I mean I know it's (((free to play))) but I don't really know how fun it is or how jewish they actually get with that ftp.
is it worth a shot to scratch that mmo itch?

The War of the Dwarves and the Orcs, or the Goblin Shoah as it will henceforth known

It's pretty casual but the community probably one of the best. People even manage to write entire coherent sentences!

I never found the time to read the concrete slabs that were the books tbh, but even so I did a little bit of research when I was into LotR a bit more, and The Blue Wizards did seem cool.

It was never really explored in the films that the wizards were 'Ishtari'? anyway, so I think they could get away more with making them whatever ethnicity they wanted because they're presumably celestial beings from the middle earth equivalent of heaven from what I heard from a friend who was really into LotR and actually was the one who got me reading about the blue wizards and not like a hobbit or whatever. They should stick to what it says in the books though to keep Tolkien's legacy intact, but my guess is that they won't.

Orcs of gundabad are northwest of the shire though aren't they? I assume that lines up with Norway/sweden sort of area..

I actually have not played them, time to take a look
What were they like OP?

I used to play it on and off some years ago. It was comfy as fuck and the music's great but the gameplay's about the same as any other MMO.
I stopped playing completely when they reformulated all the classes and made my DPS class so shit it dished out less dmage than the tank class. Lever let retards in charge of things.

So movies about nothing? Seinfeld-kino set in Middle-Earth?

I'm into it.

just download a ROM and see for yourself. They're kinda like action RPGs but there's a turn based one too.

Imagine if Tolkien's works end up being considered meme-tier in the future thanks to the cancer associated with works tainting his legacy

Just fuck my life completely up.

Yes, Gundabad is at the very northwest tip of the misty mountains. Not sure where that lines up

They play like diablo, areas are more expanded on, you move forward in a linear fashion. Nearly everyone is playable. Return of the King even had separate paths for different characters

I'm betting they're going to try for a GoT competitor/killer. I think some other TV show is being made off the Witcher or some other fantasy universe with the same goal in mind

The Wizards are basically demigods sent to watch over the mortals of Middle Earth. There is nothing that directly says they're all white guys but you just know whoever gets theirs claws into the estate will manage to fuck it up with diversity.

The future will only remember what we allow it to remember. That's what right side of history means.

"haha another franchise goes down the shitter, pol btfo"

northeast, I done fucked

Sounds pretty damn nice, though I wonder how they pulled off an actually good lotr ARPG (that
s like hitting the lottery twice) on the GBA of all things
I'll check 'em out, thanks anons

Nah, Holla Forums gave a shit earlier. There were threads hitting the bump limit a few months back discussing leftist butthurt to LotR getting some crazy award I can't remember, top book of the century or something like that

Not as badly as me for mixing west with east AGAIN

It would be fairly predictable of them to make these gods diversified, as if to make a subtle implication of what the (((power))) of "diverse" characters are
Sauron was a black wizard though was he not? Not black of skin obviously, black of colour.

wizard only refers to the Istari, so no Sauron doesn't count even though he's their match/better in terms of raw power and ability

Sauron was a shapeshifter. I don't recall any of the main characters in the Legendarium being referred to or depicted as anything but white.

Also, just so everyone knows, Cobalt decided to bumplock this thread for some reason.

Cobalt has thin skin.

We have a Tolkien board by the way, if anyone's
a fan:
>>>/arda/

Cobalt is apparently a retard
I see nothing wrong with this thread

And now we're unbumplocked. Thanks, Pewter.

Not really likely to hurt your average Bong since they seem to be hellbent on destroying their own culture and history. If anything, a Dr. Who-esque LotR adaptations will be welcomed openly.

It's only good if you're an "underepresented" mudnority. It means exactly what you think it does and it's why we have to burn jews.

How do you know which mod does what?

8ch.net/log.php?board=v

I've been here for years now I just never noticed
thanks for spoonfeeding a retard user

Cobalt, Pewter - Are our vols secretly Dorfs?

Sauron was a Maiar, a very old being of a race that served the Valar directly. The other wizards were also Maiar, but Sauron had been in the direct service of Morgoth for a very long time, and had learned much.

Power rankings go Eru > Valar > Maiar > Elves > Mortals.

again? this is what, third time we get witcher serial?

There was another thread already so they are just doing it for free

FTFY

Every game feels kinda surface level. I don't know much about Tolkien lore but I know there's more to it. I wanna see the hidden horrors and depths. Different locations and shit. It's all very interesting to me.

I just wanted have nobledark adventures, man.

*wanted to

Say it with me, anons.

BLACK ELROND
L
A
C
K

E
L
R
O
N
D

I'm looking forward to it. There is going to be a slew of terrible movies and games, but there should be the good odd LotR game in the mix. It would be good to have LotR games that aren't either licensed movie games or terrible fanwank-tier shit with a noble wraith. It would be cool to have games that exlpore some of the rest of the history of middle earth, like the Silmarillion and more stuff around Morgoth. Lord of the Rings is such a tiny part of the story, and it's ludicrous that nobody focused on any of the rest of the history of Middle-Earth. Christopher Tolkien even published a 12-book 5392-page series called The Complete History of Middle-Earth compounded entirely from his father's writings, only books 6-9 even cover The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings at all.

At least there's a chance we could have a couple good games out of it now. Until now it's mostly just been hack-and-slash shit.

how big do you think a chance of a good game from popular franchise is in hoc anno+3 ?

I thought hobbits were just a sub-race of men, and Dwarfs were abominations that tried to copy the real creations of Eru but fucked up, but were allowed to live anyway because their creator had good intentions.

Also,

I just wasted too much time trying to find the Sindarin phrase for WE WERE KINGS and transcribing it to Latin letters.

The Shire was never the land of hobbits.

Don't get your hopes up. The chance of a good game that isn't pozzed crawling out of the current year +2 cesspit are practically zero.

The hobbits overpowered and overcame the poor orcs and removed them from their rightful land, The Shire.

Have any of you read The Children of Húrin? It's some pretty dark shit. I liked it.

Maia and Vala are singular. Maiar and Valar are plural.

I want the Tom Bombadil meme to die.

They are.
Close. Elves and men were direct creations of Eru, unlike the rest of the world, which the Valar shaped. Aulë, one of the Valar, was impatient waiting for Eru's children to appear, and so he created dwarves in their image. But they were soulless and not really alive. Eru allowed them to have life, but they had to "sleep" until elves and men appeared. So the dwarves are his "adopted" children.

How long until the right get sold to (((someone))) that will try and recon the entire thing so that all the characters are trannies and shit?

I'm glad Bilbette decided to keep the ring and use it to destroy the evil Nazi hobbit men.

Tolkien said this back in 2013
Imagine your fathers legacy, one of the most celebrated pieces of English literature of the modern age, and of all time, being turned into the fucking Hobbit. This is his own personal fall of Rome.

The Lord of the Rings passed the Rubicon when the hippies got hold of it. The Hobbit is just barbarians shitting on each other claiming to be DA REAL ROMANS.

That analogy does not make sense in this context, excuse me.

It's more like the hippies were the barbarians crossing the Rhine.

I'd rather have that fucboi Melkor and Sauron like in those pics than having them become WE WUZ VALAR. at least that artist cares about the fucking story.

I thought the Peter Jackson movies were about as good a film adaptation as it was reasonable to expect. They had some problems, but they were fairly faithful, and kept most of the themes intact. They lost a lot of the books' gravity, but that was inevitable, at least in part due to the change in medium.
The Hobbit movies are hot garbage, but Christopher Tolkien complaining about the Jackson films strikes me as him being a curmudgeon. It's also worth noting that he's previously claimed to like the films, too, so I'm not sure if he was lying in this quote or if he was lying in the others.

Hippies' (surprising) appreciation of The Lord of the Rings didn't do anything bad to the books or to Tolkien's wider Legendarium. In fact, their love of it only made academic and literary types sneer more at Tolkien's work. The Lord of the Rings wasn't even considered literature until the 1980s. Hippies' affinity for the series in the '60s actually delayed its acceptance in the literary world.

The only reason those smelly animals liked the books is because Tolkien was a Luddite.

This is the end. It is the last thing I love and it is dying now.

There have been bad adaptations of Tolkien's work since the '70s. Read the books he wrote and ignore the rest. Nobody can replicate his writings, or claim to continue their legacy in any meaningful way; that's one upside of their author being a philologist and general linguistic nerd.

Not the main religious theme, though, which Christopher laments being excluded. The Lord of the Rings wasn't exactly an action story, either. It was a history book, and the film doesn't reflect the grandiosity of the writings.

I meant "gravitas."

I thought the religious themes were fairly subtle in the books, so their complete absence in the films, while obviously unfortunate, didn't feel egregious.

he deserve it for being fucking lazy about it.

yeah, those.

The Children of Hurin was great. I loved it. I would kind of like to see it made in to a TV series, but there's no way it won't be "diversified", and I couldn't stand to see that.
I swear to god though that if they ever make a Beren and Luthien adaptation and turn Tolkien and his wife in to kangz and/or cuck the poor bastard in his own love story written for his wife I will fucking rage like nothing else.

The more I learn about dwarfs the more like kikes they appear to be.

I don't really want to see any more adaptations of Tolkien's work in general. They're so geared toward the style of Norse and Finnish sagas that I don't think they're well suited to other media. We have the big one, the Peter Jackson trilogy, and that's enough for me. Comics might work since they're something like a literary medium, but I'm not a big comic reader.

Tolkien deliberately based them in some ways on Jews, at least from The Hobbit onward. Their language has a lot of Semitic sounds in it, their usual vice is a lust for gold, and they learn other languages fluently while only using their own language among themselves, to allow for secrecy. But Tolkien liked Jews.

The Children of Hurin and the Silmarillion are the only Tolkien related things that could be serialized in any way. a few years ago i would have loved for that situation to happen but in the CURRENT YEAR that we live in? fuck no.

It is now relegated to the "ooh but the book is good" franchise list like enders game or whatever.

Mhhh, gravy.

That is… yea, you're right.

There’s an 11 hour recording of Christopher Lee reading The Children of Hurin. That means that he will be the narrator for the inevitable TV show of it, and they’ll just sentence mix him to say anything they want and his estate won’t get a goddamn thing.

Christopher Lee is dead.

Oh, wait, you meant that they would use his lines from the recording to add narration to a TV show. I see. Sorry for being retarded.

About the only thing I liked about the movie was the armor design for Sauron. They really nailed what a baller evil lord would look like. As always, the "bad" guys are the cool ones.

>about as good a film adaptation as it was reasonable to expect

Oh fuck. This is the end of Middle Earth as we know it. Here come the fucking shitty movies and tv shows that will have Game of Thrones MUH SEX MUH VIOLENCE MUH BROWN PEOPLE MUH DEGENERACY XDXDXD

This is how it all ends. I hope I die before I see what it turns into.

Maybe we ought to expect a little more from adaptations.

I will live to see pic related become a reality.

I feel like I lost my innocence all over again

Orc posting is going to become an unironic thing.
I feel like I'm going to cry

The "influence" part is too subjective and abstract for a movie to work it in, in fact how magic and the rings work are very subtle and vague, if you only read the main novels. He also wasn`t even close to omnipotent, after the fall of Numenor he loses his corporeal form and literally take the form of a flaming eye.

The Balrog "shadow form" was quite underwhelming to be honest, it wouldn`t work well with the public as a movie climax, he was too human-like for audiences to root against. His on fire portrait is on point you can`t deny it

Here's your preview for the coming remake

JUST

pffffffffffffffffffffffffft
We need more

Get bent. He is more canon than silmarillion shit
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

I wished Tolkien completed The New Shadow, it really is so interesting and depressing. Really wished he fucking completed it! Fuck!

He should have released the IP into public. "Fans" and normalfags would have nothing to latch onto while studios couldn't make money pozzing his shit. But no, he took the money and now his legacy will suffer.

how long til the elves are all replaced with niggers in the new games?

A Middle Earth RPG could be fun, but you'd probably have to make a brand new system for magic and all that which is compatible with the lore. What would that even look like?

Kill yourself, /utg/ kike.

What do you think public domain is user? What the flipping heck has led you to believe that studios can't turn a profit on public domain items?

Something that's in the public domain is a trillion times easier to "pozz" and otherwise ruin than something that isn't.

They've done a few. See:
You could check out the MMO but I don't recommend it.

Sure they can make a profit as well as the other giant corporation that wants a profit from it as well. Sure they could sue every little guy for trying to make a game but there will be so much out there that It would be impossible to contain, impossible to process to crack down on everyone. There will be thousand upon thousands of peoples different interpretations of LoTR lore out there and fans or normalfags wouldn't have the time to focus on any particular one of those things. Holla Forums,Holla Forums,Holla Forums,/tg/ any board that can connect back to LoTR in someway wouldn't be able to process all the content about it. There is no way some hack CEO or some tumblr retard could stand amongst all the shit being made and say "LOOK MY SHIT IS CANNON BUY MY STUFF!" and have everyone buy it en masse. The only things that would be consistent in peoples minds, who decide to keep up with LoTR, are the original books by Tolkien. The ideas that Tolken had would continue to remain and wouldn't get pozzed up by other "cannon" that other studios and corporations will introduce down the line.

That's my logic to my suggestion

I wouldnt mind a dragons dogma but LOTR. Would be pretty neat. Dont know if magic works the same but maybe they can get it to work?

I mean, I guess they have stronger wills?

black in the general color sense =/= black skin color

But they're hard working! The jews are not hard working!

That's more or less how Melkor was described as looking, he even wielded a mace.

I don't mind Tom, I mind all the people obsessing over his power and significance. He doesn't have any. He was a colorful character who didn't really fit neatly into the world that Tolkien made. That's all.

>h*eck
This is a Christian imageboard, please refrain from using such disgusting profanity. uwu

fuck modern copyright law and fuck disney for causing this bullshit

I don't give two big flips! I'm flying off the handle!

Heck!
Got to heck, heck yourself, heck off!

It expires in 36 years.

Tom really didn't need to be in the story. He's a quasi, merry sue, doofus. He appeals to the type of people who don't want to read the books, but like being part of the community.

No if I remember they had some kind of bare low magical power for growing things in the garden aka: really good at let things flourish and strong will too since hobbits where least corrupted by the ring than the men and being more silent than rangers is even another point for them

Tolkien's magic worked in that sense most of the time - it wasn't even really magic per se, hobbits were just good at going unnoticed, and everything they grew ended up growing really well.

I've always liked the theory that Tom was Eru himself, just enjoying the creations of his creations and having a grand old time.

How was Shadow of War allowed to get made in the first place?

obligatory

words cannot describe the epicness.

Tom's power doesn't extend beyond the Old Forest because he is the Old Forest. Elrond says as much during the Council. Some people seem to think that Tom is God, or something like it. Tolkien took great pains to correct this; Tom is not Eru or anything like Him, nor is he divine in the general sense that could be applied to the Valar or Maiar. Frankly, Tom shouldn't have been made quite as mystical as he is; that was an error in worldbuilding on Tolkien's part, and why I didn't mind that the Jackson movies omitted him. But they shouldn't have omitted the Scouring of the Shire.

I remember reading some time ago that actually Tolkien started writing this shit about orcs and elves because it was so outlandish and weird, it was never meant to be so serious.

Eru is not immanent. He exists outside the world, but can intervene within it.

It was absolutely meant to be serious. The Hobbit was written mostly as a fairy tale for children, and only later did Tolkien decide to include it as part of Middle-earth. (Subsequent printings were slightly edited to reflect this.)
The Lord of the Rings is styled after Norse sagas and other ancient European oral and literary traditions. The wider setting, including the other books, was largely a way for Tolkien to work out the history of his invented languages, since he understood that language is highly dependent on history. His Legendarium is about as serious as it gets.

Hence why it's a theory. I'm pretty sure even Tolkien said that it wasn't true, but it's an appealing notion nevertheless.

>stronk wymyn Arwen Glorfindel? Who's that?

Did you watch the film? It plays out the same way. Frodo fails, claims the ring, then Gollum bites it form his finger and takes it, but falls into the chasm.
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, the omission of the Scouring of the Shire is, in my opinion, the film's worst error. I can understand why they did it, since the pacing of a film is much different from that of a book, and it would have been seen as disruptive to that pace, but it's still a glaring omission, and they should have found a way to include it, even if they had to severely abridge it.
I didn't mind that so much. Denethor losing his mind and trying to burn himself and Faramir was basically what happened in the book, but I'll agree that the film didn't really bother trying to show how and why Denethor had been so driven to despair–namely, his overuse of the Palantír.
You're right. I don't actually know why the film chose to portray the retreat to Helm's Deep as being a head-in-the-sand tactic. It wasn't. In fact, it was, if anything, just another way of showing how aware and awake Théoden had become, compared to his previous slumber and submission.
I don't think it was that glaring, given that Arwen spends most of the rest of the film lying around on couches looking sad and thinking of Aragorn, which is essentially what she does in the books.

Also, I think all of these are pretty minor issues, barring the Scouring of the Shire. As I said before, the films were as good an adaptation as it is reasonable to expect.

Didn't Frodo push him in the movies? That's the key difference. Whether Frodo threw the ring itself or Gollum with it, it's still him choosing to destroy the ring, which he couldn't do in the book.

No, I didn't get that impression at all. They fought over it, but it didn't look like Frodo was trying to push Gollum into the chasm, just get the ring from his hand. Frodo was still pretty wild-eyed during that fight, and clearly reaching for the ring the whole time.

exactly why they will destroy it. one of the last piece of old british standing in way of britslam

first one was polish one with good music and nice locations but everything else was shit because it was so heavily underfunded and what they got was stolen so they had Geralt steel sword being katana and such.
then there is a movie in works by guy that does the cinematics for games
and then there is TV series in work by Pozflix.

This is now a taxposting thread

Being both a Tolkienfag and a financefag, I am surprised that I've never seen this before.

she was really pushed by someone, hell she was even at Helms Deep but due to the massive backlash they cut her out

I wouldn’t mind a RPG set in Middle-earth.
LotR could need a Knights of the Old the Republic/Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines tbh.

I liked Tom, he was a happy and fun character in the book that made me smile for a while. That being said i do think he was kind of out of place there and his part on the story could have been ommited

they where also great at throwing rocks

This, also They sholdn't have added the elves at Helm's deep or the army of the dead at Pelennor Fields, that undermines the message of the books

I remember i wanted to play war of the ring like 10 years ago but couldn't find it anywhere, was that a good game?