1995-2000's aesthetics in videogames

Okay, I've got a request. It's a little bit specific, but I'm sure you guys will know what I'm talking about after watching the attached webms. It's an aesthetic that permeates a lot of the shows from the 1995 to early 2000's. Washed out colors, tactical/military themes, industrial music, unironically "cool" characters with cold attitudes.The Matrix has some of that feel, I think, and Blade, too. I've been trying to put my finger on this aesthetic for a long time, I love it too much. It's so fucking pure.

Anyway, is there a name for this style? Also, fucking please, please post games that have that feel, too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bUC4K3DsXug
alephone.lhowon.org/
doomwiki.org/wiki/Uncapped_framerate
commonedge.org/the-mental-disorders-that-gave-us-modern-architecture/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Men in Black. Very fucking heavy on the tactical and urban themes.

Batman Beyond. A little more edgy but I love the general style, it's very colorful.

Aeon Flux. I mean, I'm sure it needs no introduction.

Oh shit, I forgot to include this, as well. Hidden: Source. About as close to what I mean as I've gotten so far.

he specified "video games" you stupids

nvm i'm gay, didn't notice it was OP

Yeah I'm just providing material for people to understand what I mean. I'm really bad at explaining things with words.

Nihilism which has lost the high that was found in the 80s.

words are gay anyways, they come out of your mouth and get all up in dick

MDK, Meat Puppet, Anachronox, Heavy Metal Fakk2

Quake, Doom and UT99.

Neocron. It looks a lot like Deus Ex and Anachronox. The downside is that it's a dead MMO, there is a server maintained by fanboys, but it's hilariously broken and buggy. Exploring the city felt pretty nice, but I remember one of the faction HQs out in the wild having a bugged entrance. I takes a group of dedicated autists to play with.

The Future Sound of London - We Have Explosive (sounds very similar to the music in OP's trailer)
youtube.com/watch?v=bUC4K3DsXug

Doesn't fit it exactly, but still came to mind.

This close enough?

Classic Guilty Gear?

90s and even 00s SciFi had a gritty asthetic full of techno
Then came the Iphone and the financial crisis.
Now everything is smooth edges, clean, minimalistic and soulless.
Just like a Multi Media company

You aren't shitting on Drossel here, are you?
I agree with you in general though

Future Cop LAPD
C-12
Silent Bomber
Galerians
R-Type
Wild 9
Loaded/ReLoaded
Fighting Force
Fear Effect 1 & 2
Gungrave
Need for Speed III
Oni
Project Eden

There was also that one game where you play as a niggress cop in something like near-future Detroit but I forgot the name. C-12 is something I very rarely see mentioned and it's a neat TPS.

One of the best theme songs for a TV show, and not just a cartoon, ever.

No, Drossel is minimalism and smooth edges done right ,as in, only done to contrast with the rest of the asthethics and to display its superior tech.
Now compare Halo 1, 2 and 3 with Halo 4 or 5 and see why Bungies art design was so good you could identify Tech from any of the 4 factions (UNSC, Covenant, Flood, Forerunners) they all contrasted with each other.
Even all 3 Matrix movies did contrast right even with the Machine and Zion tech almsot overlapping.
Now watch something like Elysium or play Destiny and tell me you see any contrast between anything, its a fucking overdesigned blur full of smooth shit.

Seriously, can you tell me from which faction this weapon is?

UNSC
Covenant
Forerunners

unsc right? looks a bit forerunner too, not covenant at all, but I get what you mean though, the old stuff was easily discernable

It's pancor jackhammer from Fallout 2.

Pretty cool intro

UNSC.
It looks too much like an actual weapon to be forerunner or convenant tech, because it's not purple. I kind of like that weapon for looking like a space Tommygun but it could be way better.

forerunner
I never played nor took interest in any halo game past CE

Nope, UNSC.

I appreciate 90s aesthetic more than any other decade.

Why thanks to kikes?

I believe BB wasn't successful enoguh so they wrapped it up and returned to good ol bamham.

I was just thinking about this recently. I just wonder how you capture the 90s anime aesthetic, on purpose? Cell shading? Is it best to capture it indirectly like anons point out half-life does?
Prolly exists some sort of post-processing witchcraft to make it fucking crazy accurate.

Batman Beyond got cancelled because the animation team got moved over to Justice League if I recall correctly.

Also the pilot episode of BB where Bruce has a heart attack takes place in 2019. Feeling old yet?

Artsyle and cell animation is a given. But also newer anime is always so shiny and bloomy, creators are also scared of using full blacks or maybe it goes against the shiny direction.

Each era has its own animation techniques that become popular, and the 90's had theirs. If you were to study that, then play it back through VHS, you might get something similar. Then it's just up to lots of the smaller aspects, like specifically writing as though no one has decent cellphones. Otaking does a great job at replicating 80's anime, and a lot of it is thanks to him clearly understanding the process that went into them.

Yeah, I will never understand why everything is so goddamn shiny and vivid is it a consequence of digital animation or just a shitty trend that will never end?

Great taste

Well that was the wrong file.

First game that came to mind.

Cell shading is stupid. It feels artificial and atrocious. When thinking about adapting 2D to 3D, you need to take tips from Overwatch. Transfer simple things directly, but change, exagerrate, dampen or otherwise translate the nuances. Cell shading is primitive, it's really really dumb, and it almost never looks good. It's a fucking sledgehammer approach to adaptation. The one thing I can get behind when thinking about this stuff though is posterized lighting, because it's unique to anime and it doesn't hurt the 3D look much.

So basically, adapt to 3D, do not cling to the anime artstyle too much, make the lighting more cartoony, desaturate the fuck out of the colors and bang you're done. The only important part from there is animation. Overwatch in particular has frame-by-frame animation specifically because of the importance of it when translating 2D to 3D.

Why do bother posting such low quality bait? Legitimate question.

Not everything that goes against Holla Forums doctrine is bait, user. Learn to think with your fucking brain.

Overwatch has been decreed by Holla Forums to be bad, so everything about it, even things it may do right, is now shit. don't bother arguing with people who think this way.

Looks like someone doesn't UNDERSTAND

This has always looked like ugly shit. Never understood the appeal.

I'll just keep posting old late 90s/early 2000s game trailers

The gif is from fucking Video Girl Ai dipshit.

Fine, the gif gets a pass (needs a better video source, though). I thought it was another example of Otaking's work.

Seconding 's opinion on the Otaking images.

His lines. Are. NOT. SOLID. His outlines are fucking sketchy all over the place, he should spend less time giving everything rimjob lighting and put more time into making sure he doesn't botch up his own keyframes.

Otaking is good, but honestly he'd need someone to do corrections for him to be as great as the high-budget high-talent OVA scene he wants to emulate a lot.

Video Girl AI is a unique case of a series that would intentionally replicate choppy busted VHS visuals while still being an actual VHS release. It's best watched on a VHS for that reason alone, watching it on a flat screen with a cleaned up copy just wouldn't work. It's still not as genuine as actually smacking a VHS a bunch before watching something, but it's still interesting.

It's pretty obvious it's not possible for a single guy to perfectly imitate a 3~ decade old artstyle that's no longer in practice and cost a truckload of money to produce, and it's not fair to hold that against him. It's more that he's closer to it than almost anyone else trying, and if we're talking imitating something without the original tools and teams, he's doing just fine.

don't get me started on how much i hate the newer anime color palettes. I want my fucking deep black/red/blues back

Is there a name for that artstyle? I'd love to know, it's almost like a piece of my childhood.

That description mostly makes me think of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Digital Devil Saga.

It's a very ugly game, though.

No. Bland, yes, but ugly it is not.

Unless OLED becomes popular, most studios will shy away from using full blacks and more somber palettes. That style looked best on CRT TVs. Modern screens have shit contrast and even old shows look bad on them unless you tweak with the settings a lot.

Shaft is the studio that consistently tries a more old school art direction and even their shows are extremely shiny compared to shit Shinbo directed in the 90s.

TL;DR the ride never ends

user, Overwatch may mechanically be an abomination made from stitched together MOBA-FPS mechanics, but it's not ugly. It's just objectively not.

Natural oily blacks will turn up again one day. I'm sure it's going to be a question of power efficiency eventually. Why light up a color that's supposed to be fucking black anyway?

What, are you trying to tell me I'm fucking blind? You can't say something is "objectively" not ugly when it comes to something as subjective as liking a visual style. I can't stand to look at it, personally, I don't know what you think you'd accomplish by trying to convince me that my eyes are denying some objective truth.

fuck off. There's being inclined to things, and then there's not knowing what something right in front of your face is. You can not like something, but accept it does something well.

Nice jew logic. I'm trying to tell you that you're a contrarian hipster. Overwatch is a very good looking game. You may not like it, but you do not get to say it's ugly. There are objective qualities to art.

It is VERY hard, dare I say impossible, to display a true black pixel with modern panel tech. The backlight will always bleed out. OLED gets away with it because it works like a pigment and it is most likely the future of display tech unless something really disruptive comes around, like some earth-shattering breakthrough with ELDs or something.

When OLEDs become the standard we will see a massive shift in art direction in anime and vidya. Hopefully we will get our pure black and high contrast art styles back. Films, of course, will not be affected because they always are made with projectors in mind, though digital film already created a huge shift there.

I just did, you overly-defensive faggot, and I'll say it again, it's ugly. If you're not baiting and you just used the term "contrarian hipster" with absolute sincerity that's pretty fucking sad.

It's okay user, your cool Holla Forums friends aren't looking and you don't have to pretend to have a superior taste by hating everything. You're in a safe place right now, you can talk to us.

you want some late 90's animu? I got ya bruv. Shogo moblie arms division is a mech game all about anime, mech segments are insane man and when you're out of the mech its like FEAR without slow-mo and worse AI.

Overwatch is a terrible game but I want to cum inside widowmaker.

Yeah I've got to say that it's got some serious lumps of goodness in it but they're so deep inside the general pile of shit that is Overwatch that it makes me want to die. It's just not fun. You can't just enjoy yourself, you always have to keep thinking about various MOBA-like bullshit and how your victory depends 60% on whether or not your teammates are willing to play ball and not be retarded.

Here's a thing, just for you.

OH NO MARKY PLEASE SPOILER

Never heard of this before. I do like 80s 90s anime robots though. Robo gore invokes a strange feeling in me.

Why is Widowmaker's skin purple?

Well, you're Holla Forums to me, and I don't care what you think, so I guess that works? I'm not really sure if going from posting Overwatch lewds to smug anime girls is an improvement or not. I did give some genuine recommendations earlier, I didn't realize I was poking the beehive of the Overwatch defense brigade.

I know the lore to this one, the bad guys got her and gave her some super devil juice that lowers her heartrate and body temperature to make her a better assassin or some shit. It's pretty hot looking to me tho

Is that the kite 98' movie or tv anime series? All I find is a 98 movie. I seen the 13' one but I heard that one isnt as good and from that trailer it clearly doesnt look as good as the 98' one.

it's neat. key is a qt

They modified her physiology to be a stealthy assassin. Side effects include becoming a sexy, emotionless femme fatale. They also brainwashed her into killing her own husband, which she's really not happy about but can't do anything about it. So there's some mindfuckery hotness in there, too.

No, you're just hitting a beehive of people who know that despite being a shitty game, it still has merit in other aspects.

Same. I like chicks with strange skin colors like blue, purple, or green.

You can make this caveat as many times as you like, you have too many mp4s saved and know too much about the backstory to fool me.

You mean the eighties style stuff, or fucky vhs quality? Neither have a name specifically put them from what I know of. 80's style effectively starts with Macross DYRL and a lot can be traced from it. The only other VHS tape experience I can recall is downloading the lost episode of Cowboy Bebop since I'm pretty sure it only exists as a VHS TV recording rip, super dated Japanese ads and all.

I don't think these are what you're asking for but it feels like a similar aesthetic

I've played a lot of it because I genuinely liked it at first. Most of the issues come from hero interactions and overcomplication that comes from the high hero count, but my personal pet peeve are the anti-fun abilities. As I've said before, it has a lot of fun bits lodged inbetween the garbage. Lucio is very fun, Genji is fun, Widowmaker is fun, fuck - most of the damn cast is fun. The problem is the fact that in order to prevent the game from being a complete fragfest and be a more strategic type of thing, they've implement a fuckton of crowd control abilities that make you want to break your fucking keyboard. McCree's flashbang stops Sanic-tier high mobility characters in their fucking tracks, Orisa's fucking Halt orb does pretty much the same thing, Mei is fucking unbeatable in a true 1v1 setting because her entire character is CC.

It's a game that had a good shot, a real solid chance to be good. It has generally colorful characters with enjoyable, charismatic personalities, it has a nice fucking theme going, it has a literal separatist terrorist group with an actual reasoning behind the characters' actions. It has fucking sexy waifus. Sexy waifus - in a 2017 western AAA game, for fucks sake. It had a good chance to be good, but they fucking rekt it with terrible design and balance decisions that make Facepunch look good. It fucking hurts me, too - this game feels really smooth, just feels like garbage when you actually start learning how to play properly - thats when all of it's issues start showing up and the game turns sour.

Can't quite put my finger on it. I guess it's washed out colors and rich palettes alongside the general urban theme that seemed prevalent during that time. Some other user also pointed out that rich reds and blacks are largely missing from modern animated shows, unlike the old ones.

thats like 1990's industrial/techno/cyberpunk or the first era of media made by people who watched blade runner one too many times

its like a sort of "hyper" industrial aesthetic, exaggerated "near-future" technology and architecture in a stylized form

the original set design boils down to what someone thought tokyo in th 1970s would be in 50 years and adding every historical flair of archetecture he could think of (Mayan pyramids, byzantine/late roman structures) under the context that its now a 21st century office building a la the johnson AT&T building is a neoclassical temple rebuilt as a giant 50 foot office building

that doesnt even look like its from a Halo game, it looks like a gun from mass effect or something

This, minimalistic art styles are trash for hipster fags. Maximalist is for alphas who aren't pretentious twats.

Clean designs were a breath of fresh air back then. It was something to contrast the chaos of the crisis. It served its' purpose - I'm sure we're going to see the comeback of proper cool designs soon.

Not necessarily. Minimalism had it's own time, now it's got to go.

Nah, it was shit from the moment it closed in on actual art styles. Like he said, it's just soulless trash with little appeal, very boring.

It's too bad Bungie never went and cranked up the others games to 60fps as well.

They released the source code back in 2000. I haven't figured out if the framerate can be unlocked though.

alephone.lhowon.org/

I know they did that's what I'm saying. They explained that Marathon works with ticks, so they doubled the amount of ticks in Marathon Durandal meaning that they basically they had to rewrite and redo a lot of the stuff because of that and because of new bugs. I took them a long time to fix the game thanks to this.

Alephone one is able to run at 60fps but you'll probably mess up the games as they are now. Meaning that people themselves need to redo and rewrite the games source as they are now. It's all tied pretty hard as was usually the case with games back then.

Of course Bungie only released the 60fps Durandal version on xbox as closed source, hopefully that will one day change.

It's the first and only real video game David Cage has ever made and it's good.

Didn't the Zdoom guys come up with a workable solution for the same problem? Really all that needs to happen is a sudden surge of interest in the game so the project can get some new programmers.

Dunno, they might but Doom is less of a cluster fuck than Marathon. Doom was made to be changed easily.

Also Alephone is still being worked on. They have a Git version that they still update, added some better mouse controls and all that but it breaks some custom HUDs as it is now. Not surprising because it's basically a dev build.

That's mostly for art assets and levels. Anything that changed stuff like weapons or enemy behavior required a hacked executable before source ports added the capability. At this point Doom source ports are definitely more flexible than Aleph One.

From what I can tell, Marathon in it's vanilla form probably was about as easy to mod as vanilla Doom and apparently came with a map editor. Doom just got more mods because no one owned a Mac at the time.

doomwiki.org/wiki/Uncapped_framerate
Well, I found an explanation of how the framerate thing works with Doom.

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite?

I guess the headbobbing could do it?

They also have shitted up their community with their "toxicity bullshit".
So you have devs spamming the "esports" and "competitive" narrative, but then also witch-hunting the "toxic gamers" (which, mind you, is people just telling other people to not throw or to pick characters relevant to the other team's composition, you know, being a team game and all that).

Also they say the game has to be fun but all the balance patches go towards the competitive scene.

I feel like I've thought about that nebulous concept a lot because I feel like I don't see it enough.

To me it is a word like antihero.
The rated M protagonists.
Problem is what game this year deserves their M rating?
Mass Effect Andromeda got an M rating, M rating means nothing.
I want more games that anger fundies, but especially "games as art" people.

Cel shading is a tool, it can be used well and it can be used badly. It seems to work best with simple geometry where it doesn't form weird shadows that would usually be hidden in softer shading styles. Guilty Gear Xrd got around this by manipulating the normals on the models to act like simpler geometry with light. If you look at something like Berserk 2016, you can see they didn't bother to do that and it looks like dogshit.

That said, cel shading doesn't have much to do with 90's aesthetics. The best way to do 90's aesthetics is to make the game feel like the 90's. Focusing purely on visuals for it is very superficial.

You will only find that kind of look in 90s japanese sci-fi. Especially a lot of sci-fi PS1 games have that kind of look, sadly that changed around after Halo came out and western studios adpated to a new type of clean minimalistic sci-fi. I don't know why either, but for some reason the trashy washed out sci-fi is much more comfortable for me than the new detatched and cold modern stuff too. I've always wanted to live in a Cowboy Bebop/Ghost in the Shell kind of world.

Get a load of AC2's OP

Ok I guess my other post got lost.

Armored Core 1 through Last Raven have what you need.

That original logo has a e s t h e t i c.

Never played it but that OST is ill. Listening it since afternoon.

early 2000 video game music was sick as fuck

Agreed. I don't want to derail this thread but Re-Volt's OST is also dope.

Having played the game, toxicity in a competitive environment is a real thing. Imagine having a dudebro or a nigger in every other match that flames the team, and doesn't take the game seriously. This is the kind of thing people are forced to deal with. Literal fucking niggers ruining matches.

It's obviously more than that.

I actually wanted to play that game a few years ago. Is it on PC by any chance?

My childhood game. It's a shame what's been done to it recently.

What happened to it? Also which versions do you recommend

I've only ever played the PC version.

As to what happened to it…

The very first Command & Conquer just screams 90's so much it's not even funny. Especially the fucking music

Yes it is, though I heard that it's better to play on an emulated Sega Dreamcast.

Has anyone here played that horrible MIB game on the PS1 ?
I remember as a kid reaching that fucking mine level and then giving up at a platforming segment.
What a putrid sack of shit it was, I don't know why I kept coming back to it but really it's because I didn't like the idea of having a game beat me.

This will probably scratch your itch.

I know this is Holla Forums and not Holla Forums but dammit if this isn't 90s.

And it terms of video games, here's Crusader: NO REMORSE.

Have another (((you))) since you seem so desperate for them.

90s jrpgs in a single webm.

It was entirely a creative outlet for Peter Chung and the show's various writers to be experimental and play around with various science fiction concepts. The series is made to be "morbidly, disturbingly fascinating", rather than visually appealing. Everything in the show is deliberate which, along with the bizarre and frequently vague nature of the show, gives a sort of paranoia that more is going on underneath the surface even if nothing really is. And hey, paranoia can be fun.
I enjoy it mainly because it's particular flavor of weirdness appeals to me, along with the reasons listened above. I will readily admit it's not a show for everyone.

Opposing Force was peak Half-Life. Blue Shift doesn't compare.

And she's on par with that standard. Thus, she is not a good character.

Looking through all these old trailers I'm beginning to believe 1995-2000 was peak vidya

Game with Silverhalks' OP aesthetics when?

Interesting thread,

I think the first three splinter cell games are a good fit for you. Maybe Deus Ex too.

Clean, minimalist design was conceived in the mid-fifties by Dieter Rams et al., retards. The "gritty aesthetic" of the 90s was a short-lived trend that, like all trends, now looks incredibly dated. In 50 years, 100 years, pick a number, minimalist designs will retain their appeal because they're purely functional and form should be derived from function.

Form done for no other reason than for the sake of doing it is fucking retarded, it's the aesthetic taste of a child.

This is an entirely new level of shit taste

minimalism, especially in architecture, is short lived crap which looks already souless and outdated and didnt even last a century.

is literally making shit out of blocks, i.e. modernist turds

Minimalism for the sake of minimalism is shit. Good designs tend have some simplicity, but is also complex enough to be interesting. The problem is finding the right balance. It seems like people gradually started to forgot how to do that sometime between the early 2000s and now. Probably has to do with lack of limitation or something.

pic related

Vampire: The Masquerade really gives off that vibe for me, same with Deus Ex.
Also obligatory Massive Attack shilling.

Maybe if you're a cherrypicking faggot.
what gave you the impression that this stuff was on its way out? It isn't, it's continuing to evolve.

Well obviously things shouldn't be too simple, only as simple as they have to be. But the moment you start adding forms that are simply inspired by tradition or what you think looks cool and nothing deeper than that, you immediately date the design.

late 90s anime design is a long lost art that most has forgotten

Fucking hell it's getting worse.

What are you talking about?

Forms inspired by tradition are pretty great.

Fashion is a pendulum, it reaches its peak and then fades away to give room for traditionalism before appearing again.
This is true for all forms of art.

oh sorry for not being 100% accurate you autist, I forgot about circles triangles and doodly lines.
kill yourself kike, people are already tired of your boring, souless crap which looks outdated in less than 10 years.

you are one dumb motherfucker

The building in the first picture looks like it's glitching out.

Yeah, get back to me when your faggy heroes build something that has some soul and is not rootless bullshit that could be build anywhere in the world. There is nothing that people will associate with those buildings. They could stand anywhere, they could have any function. No one will remember this shit. It's an insult to the soul of men.

Any good books on architecture you guys would recommend? Haven't read that much yet.

What the fuck is that first picture?
Why does that otherwise decent looking building have a tumor growing on it?

Japanese armor was not a traditional source of inspiration for science fiction at this time. That's what made Vader's helmet so unique. So I would argue it is the opposite of traditional. Using cultural history as an inspiration is different from doing the same designs the people who came before you did.

The thread is being derailed.

Oni for PC, PS2

Drown yourself in semen, kike.

That went without saying, looking at the rest of your post.

Whaty's wrong with globalism?

Mostly making everything the same and soulless, also visit
>>>/treblinka/
>>>/auschwitz/
>>>/gaschamber/

The Japanese were building minimalist tea houses in the middle ages. A huge part of their cultural aesthetic is based on minimalism, and this is just one example in history. The kikes have sure been pulling strings for a long time. I wonder how they weaseled their way into isolationist feudal Japan.

Get your fetal alcohol syndrome ass a book.

commonedge.org/the-mental-disorders-that-gave-us-modern-architecture/

If anything, the kikes seem to agree that minimalism is autism.
While I can understand that minimalism can be elegant, the focus on concrete slabs and monolithic gubmint housing, be it residential or public function, is alienating and comes at a bad time of cultural unrest and aimlessness.

>>Holla Forums

to ad my 2c, this art style died because everyone is too self conscious. Notice this love of pastels came in at the same time as ironic humor. Modern design choices are a visual representation of modern man's cowardice and inward looking nature. It's why scifi is dead. Everything must have neutral colors and round corners so no one gets their feelings hurt. All action movies must always make fun of themselves lest the writers admit they can enjoy something so "anti-intellectual" as the comic book it was based upon. Animation? Stickmen, because you can't fail if you don't try.

That's Brutalism for you user, an ugly blight that clashes with the rest of the world
Blame the Soviets for subverting the American architecture

Wrong you stupid fuck, the style itself can also be traced from the 1930's

The aesthetic I like the most is the unrealistic military contemporary theme (or set in the near future) that has brutalist architecture, big fortified complex, and a stern faced Sergeant holding a cigar in his mouth. The best example of this is Team Fortress Classic. It seems to me that every late 90's multiplayer Shooter had this aesthetic. Probably because mapping was simple back then, and since the 3D engines weren't as detailed as today, they often looked similar to each other : flat walls and bridges, concrete textures everywhere, metal beams, big corridors, modern forts, metal crates… Like if you lived on a planet that had been perpetually at war forever, and where everything building was built for a military purpose. I find it extremely comfy to occupy a big fort with you team, fighting for your base rather than an abstract objective. Maybe it's fair to call that theme Military-Fantasy, I personally refer to it as 'Bunkerpunk'.
I never liked the archaic aesthetic of TF2, wish they had kept the militaro-futuristic atmosphere of the Classic version.

Other examples of this aesthetic are : Half-Life mod Firearms, vanilla Half-Life, Quake 2*, Unreal Tournament

*Which engine was the basis for GoldSrc (Half-Life). That explains the similar aesthetics, because it was easier to make interior maps than landscapes with that engine.

Gunman chronicles seems to take that to it's fullest extent from what I can see. Star Wars questionably qualifies too.

Lack of limitation is definitely a massive issue. Videogame devs these days lose their fucking minds over random shit instead of focusing on a solid foundation.

I don't see why you'd say it's questionable. Star Wars pre-prequels was patrician as fuck, especially the Jedi Knight series.

Well, it doesn't fit that easily into the unrealistic near-future millitary theme mentioned in

I just thought I'd request clarification:
What exactly is cell shading? I thought cell shading was either the actual shading in of "cells" in 2D animation or it refers to the Wind Waker-esque graphical style that's meant to mimic the original animation technique.

This poster seems to be talking about the flaws of the "anime art style" in 3D rather than the actual technique anime was using in the '90s.

What exactly was the purpose of that .swf? Did Shiina Ringo do something?

Craig Mullins art encapsulates 1995-2000 perfectly.

How does that prove your point? By 1930, WW1 had already taken place and the Federal Reserve was already installed.

Cell shading is a "misheard" term. It makes sense, because most people that use it are referring to the shading being done using defined areas and solid colors without gradients, as well as giving 3D objects solid outlines to create a 2D feel.

In reality, the term came from celluloid sheets used in traditional 2D animation - hence "cel". The term is really "cel shading" but most people say "cell shading" because it makes perfect sense.

By the way, anybody know what genre the music in this trailer is?

Add to this that (((public relations))) had been going since the 20s to reshape the masses desires to accept mass produced schlock and you can see that brutalism with its prefab concrete slabs is a logical consequence.

He's blaming the Russians and excusing the jews, do you think this faggot hasn't read any Solzhenitsyn or do we have actual jidf in the thread?

Can you please take your Holla Forums retardation back to your containment chamber?

That's not how it works here. Could you please sage when off topic?

Anime name? Feels like I should know this.

It's in the filename, no?