And you thought Gamestop would do something decent

GAMESTOP HALTS ITS UNLIMITED
USED GAME RENTAL PROGRAM

web.archive.org/web/20171114210853/https://www.please use archive.is/2017/11/14/gamestop-halts-powerpass-unlimited-used-game-rental/

I'm a faggot that can't archive properly, forgive the fuck up

Monetizing unsold used game copies is something decent? Get the fuck out, jew.

Gamestop is for niggers and normalfags.

Don't get me wrong, I would never support GameShit. I'd rather go to Fry's or buy direct any chance that I can, because this fucking corporation looks at us like we're nothing but cattle to be milked.

That being said, this was actually a good deal. The loss of a good game rental system was a fucking tragedy for the market. Getting the chance to demo a game without purchasing it is what kept developers honest, because it meant that people were able to try a game for a day or two and see whether or not they liked it. Sunken Cost Fallacy ceases to exist when you can pay a fraction of the cost for the ability to test a game out, giving you fresh eyes for weeding the unworthy bullshit out from the actual gems.

Do you think if people had the ability to rent Wolfenshit 2: The New Social Justice, ANYONE would be buying it? Toy Wars: Battlefront Deux? Destiny 2? Any number of absolutely awful, phoned-in AAA titles? Absolutely fucking NOT. Rentals are a quality check, a way for consumers to decide on their own whether or not a game is worth the money.

Granted, GameStop is only doing this with used games, but the concept is the same. It lets people try shit out without actually committing to just completely buying the whole game.

What do you want to bet GameStop is being told not to do this shit by publishers?

I bought a copy of gaylo 3 for 4 bucks on its anniversary 2 months ago

Blockbuster's dead user.

Game Planet (GameStop's Mexican equivalent) has half the store dedicated to TCGs and Funko Pops.

What the fuck are they even doing anymore?

Don't forget all the POP! Figurines and FNAF swag. They even have TV show merchandise like Walking Dead and shit. I used to love going into those stores, and now I can't even pass by them without feeling disgust.

6 to 1 odds it was canned because the premier roll out had a bunch of fagdicks stealing shit.

You know Gamefly and Redbox exist right? Game rentals are a thing but people are too stupid or lazy to use them.

How in the fuck would they be able to gauge whether people are willing to pay for a service without charging them for that service?
Retail stores have "test stores" in places with an ideal mix of different types of consumers, where they implement new ideas and see how well they go, before bringing it to ALL stores. These tests literally never involve giving away free shit.

Again I have to remind you how often people steal shit from gamestop.
In addition how often people steal* shit from gamestop.
*Steal referring to dumpster diving for insufficiently destroyed surplus hardware accessories for parts/restoration

I can't imagine what you think it is they'd be testing if they're not charging for the service.

Okay but how does this program specifically encourage theft? The game discs are still hidden in drawers behind the counter. You have to sign up for the program before you get your "free" rental game. You can't have more than one game out at once. The worst that can happen is they keep the first game and gamestop keeps the $60, which is just the same as a normal sale.

I'm not saying it's logical.

Then how are you saying the program was cancelled due to theft?

Yes.

i have an idea

Redbox is kinda stupidly expensive for rentals, to the point that in most cases it'd be cheaper to just buy them if you don't do marathon gaming sessions, and Gamefly has terrible turnaround speed, terrible selection, damaged discs and if your mailman sucks or you have thieving spic neighbors, you can lose a couple discs in the mail and end up with a blacklisted address.

The Gamestop offering wasn't bad considering at the end of the 6 months you could 'keep' a $55 used game, trade it in for $30-40, put that towards another six months and end up with basically unlimited free games at around $55-75 a year.

Piracy is cheaper but doesn't help most console plebes nor does it offer multiplayer support generally.

Personally I think they just realized it was a retarded plan that would ruin their business.

read that as "bailed out" and wasn't even slightly worried or surprised. gamestop owns Greece now, that's funny, but if you think about it…
i want the world to end already.

that reminds me of the time i sold bootlegged games in high school
never got busted for it and ended up making mondo bucks

you'd be surprised how many people have no idea how to do basic piracy but are totally ok with the idea. the trick would be mass marketing while avoiding unwanted attention

The previous thread seemed to have implied that people could rent as many games as they want for $60, as in having unlimited games rented at a time instead of just one at a time.
But now that I understand it, it actually sounds good. I would never use it though because I'm not a console fag.
I wish Steam would rent out games like BlockBuster did, except virtually.

POP! = Funko Pop, you big dummy.

>Half the store is funko pops and (((amiibos)))

Free*
Who cares?
See above.

Why would you buy a steam card?
I understand the reasoning behind physical copies, but why the fuck do you need a fucking steam card.
Why?
If you are going to buy it on steam, then why wont you just add money in steam?

They started rolling out a program and they didn't even have the technology to handle it? That's pretty fucking incompetent. That's why you test the service in-house first.

It's for the underages who have cash but no credit or debit card. Also people who have no idea about vidya but know their nephew or something likes them peesee games.

okay, i get the first point.
But the second? How would a person like that know what steam is, yet alone what a steam card does?

Ask the clerk?

> go to EBgames
I just want vidya to die and go underground again, normalfags ruined it.

yep, that's pretty sad.

Being a manager there was hell and you didn't even get the money to compensate for the crap you'd do. I couldn't even live on my own with the money I made.

Sure thing Chaim. What have you got against using what's effectively a preloaded credit card to add money to steam?
Sure it's a bit more effort to actually go do it, but that also helps with stupid impulse buys.

Also it's been forever since I've been to a game store. Nothing coming out I really want to buy and money has been a bit tight so holding off on getting a PS3 to play some it's exclusives.

Stories faggot. You can't say that and not provide us with some juicy memories.

The last time I ever set foot into a gamestop I was on my way home from work, and I wanted to pick up a PS4 controller. There was a gamestop in the niggertown I work in. When I got there the line was full of niggers with consoles and piles of games to sell off for cash. The clerk had to go through the mess of shit and test it, and half the nigs didn't have ID and screamed it was raysiss to ask for it. I turned right around and walked back out.

I worked in my older brother's store as a "greeter" 3 holiday seasons in a row for 3-4 months each time, it wasn't bad at all for me, but, we have very few niggers (almost all white & asian) in my area and my job was basically to stand around and smile at fat nerds because I have a vagina

still though all we did every day was just unpack the shipment, put everything away in the drawers, and then alphabetize the shelves, it was boring as fuck honestly but not a bad job considering how little it asked of us, I stood around playing games on the demo machines or on my PSP most of the time

Where are the boobs?

that's what I've been saying for 17 years yo
have a picture of a much prettier girl

It went into making the second tail.

Show pussy

These things have a certain order to them user. We aren't savages. First tits, then vagoo.

He didnt ask for a pic of a pretty girl, he asked for a pic of titties.

maan, you guys are boring. I'm going back to /a/

Tits or GTFO.

Cocktease

Good luck. You would be banned instantly for not properly capitalizing your sentences and ending with punctuation. Or if you imply the existence of real women. Or bans. Or if you check doubles. Or if you call someone a dicksucking faggot. Or if you make a thread the janitors simply don't like. And so on. It's like if every rule was used as often as Holla Forums's Rule 8.

Can someone tell me what the fuck is a funko pop?

Shitty soulless template trash figurines of characters in pop culture, usually from western created works, but some popular eastern ones get them. And it's not just Gamestop that has an assload of them they're trying to sell; multimedia places, at least where I live, are also prone to having racks of them.

There is no joy in hunting for games in stores anymore.

In my experiences, it depends a lot on where you are. Where I live, obviously Gamestop is pretty fucking trash (the only perk I see for them is that their website lists what stores are reporting [X game] as being nearby; something more game stores ought to do, really), but with the independently owned stores, they're rather hit or miss than outright bad, and I know one that's honestly pretty damn good. Multimedia stores are a crapshoot too, but occasionally I manage a really good find for cheap, whatever their reasons for pricing are (I can't figure out why they might ask two to three times more on common, otherwise cheap games, yet every so often ask prices anywhere from a half, to a sixth, of what a harder to find, otherwise expensive game goes for, but I'm not complaining). Also out of state right now, and the older game stores I stopped at along the way have given a bit of perspective on how decent the local prices out where I am are. Apparently asking up to twice as much on older games as the prices are out where I live (and I don't just mean lucky finds, but average prices) is actually considered "pretty good" for the area from some of the locals I spoke with. For fuck's sake, they had a preowned Japanese PSP game there for $144, and to even an easy-to-understand-without-knowing-moon one at that. Which isn't to say that the worse stores where I live aren't still "bad", but that even they could be a lot worse.

Trying to find cheaper prices online sadly isn't too good an idea either. Not when most everyone just uses what prices games are managing on eBay or Amazon as their guide for what they ought to price as (though that's also an issue with brick and mortar stores too, though at least some might use "low end average" prices as a base, rather than "high end" "if it's old, it's worth gold" tier ones).

Far as I know those are online purchase only because apparently they don't have room in their stores for games from older than directly past gen, what with all the trashy merchandise and mobile shit they also hock. And even then I'd wager it's iffy as to what you get beyond a cartridge or disc that merely "works", as Gamestop's been known to trash cases and manuals on their own decisions in order to make more room for newer stuff.

Where to begin…

I guess we'll start with the shit SGA's and Managers put up with.

About the best I can say are the customers were pleasant, but like anywhere they could also be horrid assholes at times. One threatened to drag me outside due to his xbox red ringing infront of his kids.

I guess story wise I'll give you one that was some bullshit

if somebody finds this shit interesting perhaps I'll share the time we got a pregnant woman manager who refused to go on maternity leave.

That's basically what GA's do, though it sounds like you weren't gutting, labeling, boxing, or helping change out he promotional stuff. Women are mostly there as eye candy for preorders so the managers can get the DM's off their back. Hopefully your brother didn't hire you there for that and was more interested in your work ethic… if not your were basically pimped out by your own flesh and blood to sell vidya.

Oh, and I should mention most of that stuff happens at other jobs, but at most other jobs you aren't working alone for 5 hours dividing your attention between them and providing excellent customer service… or your also fired.

Who is the cock sucking op quoting?

Some (((people))) in the thread back when they had announced this rental service were trying to make it out as something welcome.

It was something welcome. $10 a month for unlimited rental and two used games a year isn't a bad deal.

How stupid do you have to be to not know that this was the plan all along?

How does it feel to be so fucking retarded that you can't even read the first post in the thread you're posting in?

Okay, kiddo.

Why do you think it's called GAME…STOP?

Fucking wew lad.

Okay, kiddo.

You're fucking dumb.

nigger can you read

This is literally how mentally defective you actually are

Oh fuck it's this autist again. Now call me a liberal.

kike

the company would face huge public backlash if it fucked people over like this and likely a loss in profits, hence why they won't. or, if you're disconnected from reality, they'll just scam you because they're cartoon villains who don't operate with any sort of business sense.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Yeah, that really matters in this industry, doesn’t it?

Let me guess, Japan treating private golf course memberships like a tradeable commodity is a bad thing too?

You mean, pay ahead and then don't get the game you want for 3 months while you get all the games you don't really want but feel you have to, so you use the service or you don't get anything subscription service.

You mean the shitty box that only has 3-7 games on it for console and they are usually 3-7 month old games or YUUUGEEE TITLES
with 1 bajillion dollars in marketing money. If your game happens to be in its usually gone or 40 miles down the road, and once you find it, it's completely fucked OR its a fake.

Yeah if I had to choose between those 2 or a premium renting service for 60$ for six months and i got to walk around and choose something and then if I like it keep it, you bet your fuckin ass I would take it. I miss blockbuster so much.
I had the 26? 27$ rental card a month which let me trade out and keep games nonstop until i wanted to trade them back in. So I would get a game one night, beat it, then return it, get another game, pref an RPG, play it all week, return it, get another game, beat it. Oh the glory days. I think went through 100ish games in literally 5 months because of that card. I'm 12 and the fuckin blockbuster guy knows me by heart and tells me what new games are in and where to find them and sometimes even put new ones on hold for me.

You post in the same fashion when confronted, every fucking time.

yes you stupid nigger, it does

Using the same style, here's the layout of my local GAME, before and after.

All 3 stores near me almost follow this exact layout, it also might help that they are all less than a mile from each other.