Underrated N64 games

A lot of anons hate the N64. And if you were around for the retro days you probably have a good reason as to why. However the console had a solid hand full of worth while titles and I feel like I've at the very least given all of them a solid attempt. So why don't we name some of the titles for the console nobody's really heard about recently? While I don't think I'll get any results out of this thread because I've played most of them, why don't we fawn over some of the lesser known titles for the console and recommend ones that you might not be familiar with?

Me personally I'm recommending Rocket Robot On Wheels. I know there's a bit of a following of it here already but if you've played Banjo or any collectathon games for the console then this game is absolutely worth a try. It has unique abilities and some of the best physics and controls for any game at the time. it's largely held back by the minimal render distance and some tedious moments like finding every tinker token in the map to get a ticket, but as a whole I find it to be one of the most enjoyable titles for the console and it amazes me that it's not more well known. It was also the first published game developed by Sucker Punch, who went on to make the Sly Cooper trilogy and Infamous.

Other urls found in this thread:

multiplayerpiano.com//vee/
romhacking.net/translations/2947/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't see it.

A lot of beloved Nintendo games got their start on the N64 such as Doshin the giant, Custom Robo, Animal Crossing and WarioWare but none of those left Japan.
As far as recommendations go, I'll have to go with Starshot, a seriously underrated 3D platformer with lots of charisma and humor, Shadowgate 64 an extremely atmospheric and even chilling adventure game, Ogre Battle 64 for its difficulty and great story and robopon 64 for some fun moncolle combat.

how the fuck do you dash without breaking your finger?

I remember Buck Bumble being pretty good.

I love the N64, though for some reason i was instantly able to pick out all the awesome games, for example was the first game i got. If i had to pick a favorite obscure game though i gotta go with 1st pic related, i was blown away when i got to impact mech fights, they were always so much fun.
All the n64 bomberman games were good too, but 2nd pic related probably fits the criteria the most.

I really have no comment for how amazing this is.
Also this game needs a remake. Render distance and frame rate is terrible in that game and it's a shame because the gameplay is solid.

Is it? I overclocked my N64 so I've never noticed it being that bad.

Well considering that Ubisoft is involved, you probably wouldn't want that.

Speaking of Ubisoft.

The first one has an english fan translation now.

i dunno

My step brother had excellent taste and I played all his shit so I'm in the same boat. Only game I never really got to try was Banjo Tooie and anything after 97 because he went into the Navy after that.

It's been over a decade since I last played it but I remember being frustrated at how input time wasn't accurate because of it. I could be wrong though and I no longer own the cartridge so if you wanna proove me wrong feel free.

Jesus fuck kill me. Every time I look at this game I feel tiny demons trying to claw their way out of my skull. I feel like if I never touched that game in my life I would be more successful as a human being.

i'm pretty sure that it was Argonaut that did Buck Bumble, you know the guys who got booted from Nintendo and got two of their games stolen/killed (Yoshi 3D later released as Croc and copied for Mario 64 and Star Fox 2 canned)

What's wrong with Tonic Trouble? It is literally a showcase for the Rayman 2 engine and plays much like it, the intro is pretty cute as well.

the plus pad dashes you faster

More because I sucked at the game than anything to do with the game's quality. Played a good deal of versus though.

It's not the worst game I've ever played. But it has a lot of tedious moments and the game is just so fucking weird it's hard to concentrate. Honestly though it's been a while since I last played it and I'll probably get around to it soon. I have the cartridge right in front of me actually.

yea but didn't you have to double tap it? That's what killed my fingers

It's ok. Way too short though.

Space Station Silicon Valley and Crystal Shards (though I wouldn't consider the latter to be obscure) have fantastic soundtracks. So great that it even works on piano midi. If anybody's interested I'll play some tracks from it on:

multiplayerpiano.com//vee/

Just post a comment and I'll play some tunes. I also have a lot of other N64 shit.

get better fingers

get better taste

almost forgot this. Treasure made really good n64 games

Treasure made good games in general. Except on Sony, most of those were shit.

I'm off to bed, I didn't think I'de get any new recommendations for games but I instead got 3 I wasn't entirely aware of, many thanks anons and I'll bump the thread tomorrow

Beetle Adventure Racing - Just a good ass racing game. Great soundtrack. One of my favourites
Rakuga Kids - Babbies first fighting game with a charming art style
Star Solider: Vanishing Earth - Perfectly acceptable shmup
Dezaemon 3D - Perfectly acceptable shmup with a level editor
Extreme G - the lesser remembered futuristic racer
Robotron 64 - Classic arcade game reimagined as a psychedelic fever dream
Wetrix - fun, unique puzzle fame

How was this anyway? It always looked like the bad Rayman to me.

HOW LONG UNTIL THE WII GENERATION GETS HERE

The Wii legitimately has a pretty good library.

It was a good console for weird niche games and arcade shooters.

much better than the n64 and gamecube and wiiu

For sheer numbers of games, absolutely. The Gamecube probably has the highest amount of actually great games though. The Wii was a console with floods of 7/10's, which isn't a bad thing, but it's not going to be most people's favourite console.

TWO LEFT HANDS

You sure that's not just you?

you aren't going to be playing the 7/10's. You're going to be playing the good games, the interesting ones. The Wii had more of those and the gamecube library as well.

The gamecube's library is comparable to the n64.

the n64 is awful

7/10s are good games. They just aren't great games. Fragile Dreams is a good game, but Metroid Prime is a great game. Madworld is a good game, but Viewtiful Joe is a great game. No More Heroes is a good game, but Pikmin 2 is a great game.

SG64 is gay compared to the original. It doesn't even half close to the same atmosphere. And there isn't a WarioWare on N64. That came out on GCN/ GBA in 2003. In fact, there isn't a single Wario game on N64, is there?

Fun game, but for at least a week after playing this, hearing a jazz keyboard in any public location would cause me to flinch in aggravation.

Ok kid.

No a lot of people here find it bad. I like it but even I can some reasons people might dislike it. the controller alone is a big turn off to many people and the analog stick still annoys me. Plus if you have big hands like I do it sucks to use. Otherwise I've been in threads with people shitting on it though. Also bump.

This so fucking hard. The music is unique and I like what they go for but I mute the game whenever I emulate it these days. I used to own the cartridge but that was before the fire

such an interesting gem this is, but it lacks potential

I see. Have some nostalgia anyway.

I never got that (possibly since the N64 was my first home game console. It always worked fine for my mid-sided mittsS

What theā€¦ fucking punked by my own comp.

I somehow doubt this.

Don't believe this is underrated but still enjoyed it a bit.

Graphics were horrible even for its time but I enjoyed it.

f zero x - a faster racing game than mario kart 64. it also has a less boring rainbow road
dr mario 64 - very addictive gameplay. story mode is ok

these two are sometimes games that n64 owners forget to get

I remember Dr Mario for Super Nintendo it was pretty fun, we only had that and Donkey Kong, I missed out on the Super Nintendo days.

The controller is bad because 1/3 of the inputs are inaccessible at any given time. Sure you can try to reach over but this is not how it was intended to be used so devs were limited by this. The dualshock controller had more inputs and they could all be reached at the same time, released only like a year later. The Saturn 3D controller also did it better and was released the same week as the N64.

sucking dicks at games isn't a good taste to begin with you faggot

Do people really Forget F-Zero X? That's like one of the top five N64 games for me.

You would think. The soundtrack's unforgettable, at least.

Wasn't playing games retard. Read the thread. Also bump.

Is this underrated? I don't even know. It was by far my favorite N64 game.

I'de say no but looking at the cover art makes me want a remake with better graphics.

These days it has a reputation of being the Rare game that didn't age well, but those people are just to dumb to select the better control scheme from the options menu.

What's the name of the japanese game and what is it about?

I wanna say Robopon because they look like characters I've maturated to.

I don't get it. What is this?

english patch
romhacking.net/translations/2947/

What is it though? The Japanese equivalent of one of those train simulator games?

Its an arcade train simulator.
You are a train driver and must control speed, breaking, signals and so on to make sure your train is on time and stops properly at the station.

Is it fun? I'm failing to see the appeal.

Probably not for you. I've only played the PS1 one and the GBC air plane one. They are pretty neat.

fanbase of densha de go games in nippon is pretty big. Search it up you might be amazed by this but don't know if it something for you, it is a very comfy game with a general japanese theme to it. Gameplay is very arcade like and when you get the english patch and learn how this works you can play them all without translation.

If it's a fun arcade game, maybe I'll give it a look. Kind of looks like Euro Train Simulator to me though.

not sure how underrated these actually are but fuck it

Winback heavily inspired MGS

The best selling point is ARPG WWF co,bat, that cacthes people's interest. But I personally believe it would've been better being a full action game, with build your own combo sets instead.

What?
MGS was released before Winback

Anyone play the Mission Impossible game? It's kind of like a proto Hitman. Not great, but worth a look.

Mein neger. N64 had a few more good 3d platforming games than most people seem to remember. The Rayman N64 games were also good, although they were never underrated and sold a lot of copies when they came out.

Oh man, you just caused me to remember that one. It was a cool game, but I was very unaccustomed to that style of game as a kid so I had to look up a lot of shit. For instance that one mission where you infiltrate a classy party and have to wait until your target comes in the bathroom and then slip him a pill which causes him to have nausea and spend the rest of the evening in the bathroom.

Wasn't there an arcade cabinet for this with actual train controls?

If I recall there were superior versions. Didn't the Playstation version have a hub world?

That was either the Dreamcast or PS2 version. Playstation got the weaker of the two initial versions.

You're saying the PS1 version was worse than the N64 version? How? Usually multiplats were always better on PS1 due to being able to have voice acting and cutscenes.

Looks worse visually. Cut out/changed levels. And personally, I hate the voice acting. Garble speak Rayman was way more charming,

This is true. We need a Rayman 2 game with all the best aspects in 1 product. The unusual dialog in Rayman 2, the whispering speak especially is one of my most nostalgic memories because of how unique it is. Truly one of the best fantasy element ideas I've ever seen.

Isn't it just French?

This game starts laughably easy but gets much harder and more enjoyable as it goes on.

I don't remember this one being bad, but not very rememberable in the 1st place.

Battlezone rise of the black dogs was fun game that did not get noticed.

i want to touch velas boobies

now post those sweet panties that gave me hours of pleasure.

N64 ports always required cut or reduced content to fit in some areas, usually it was always the voice work. So all the dialogue for the N64 are french accented gibberish.

Back in my day that was jerk off material.

i wonder when some fan will make an updated model/texture and then release it to the internet to "see what happens"

Maybe it wasn't underrated and was shit but as a kid it was THE shit.

nice wheeelz

Groovy

I've been wanting to see this for a while now.

There is a reason why the n64 started the trend of tricking the goyim into buying a nintnedo system plus one other system.

Oh shiiit this was actually a really fun game, brb downloading.

I take it then that you didn't like this game.

Added to my list after I master Diddy Kong Racing.

Learn what underrated means you retarded Nintencucks

bump

Might be me, but a lot of the N64 games have aged horribly and have gamecube sequels which are just so much better

Are you a retard?

The N64 and the Gamecube are fun
Nintendo started going retarded with the Wii

Great multiplayer game. Combines racing with combat, simple and fun.

People here do hate the console. Are you?

Which is the best version of this?
Also, we should get a list going of cross platform games that are actually worth checking on the N64. I know Doom and Wipeout are more or less totally unique games. What about Quake, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Gauntlet Legends?

I loved the Bomberman series as a kid but I didn't even know Second Attack existed until the Internet. Never saw it in stores and heard nothing about it in Nintendo Power.

First game: N64 > PS1
Second game: Dreamcast > PS1 > N64

Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer is definitely a pretty good game, would recommend. I was really surprised as a kid how polished it was compared to all the other Star Wars cash grabs out for consoles at that time. You could use two controllers' joysticks as if you had the pod controls in your hand, that was so fucking sweet and made the game more challenging to boot.

Just played that again recently. Still a good ass game. Really weird how music only plays on the third lap of a race though.

Yeah, I think it adds to the rush especially on the harder tournaments, knowing Sebulba is right on your ass and it's over if you make one mistake.

WAT. Damn, I wish I could get my N64 back from my brother to try that.

ABSOLUTELY PROBLEMATIC

N64 has to be the console that aged worst in all of history.

Anything pre NES.

There's worse by objective standards.