Conspiracy to sell more graphics cards

Why do game developers not give a shit about optimization anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p8zD2uYryJM
toonboom.com/products/harmony/system-requirements
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The answer, as always, is more shekels for the juden.

I don't see how that conspiracy will sell more of them if they're that shitty.

Devs are inept, pozzed, SO diverse and don't give a shit.

>(((optimization)))
If you can't afford to buy a real graphics card, go back to playing nigger ball or something.

If GTX 1070 isn't a real card then what is?

Enjoy your 2d browser game with top of current year graphics card requirement you dumb pleb.

Standards in IT in general are plummeting. Programmers just don't learn how to optimize anymore.

Since this thread isn't that hot, and I don't want to kill another one, I'm going to ask a question here:

Is Final Fantasy X always a visual novel with 9 billion cutscenes, or do you eventually get to explore, a bit? Also, are the sequels the same or do they let you run around a bit? I just got a hold of the HD one and, after all these years, I was excited to play, but it's dogshit compared to Final Fantasy XII in terms of choosing what you want to do.

Niggah WHAT?! If a game has shit optimization on a single GTX 1070 then what makes you think the devs would even have bothered including decent SLI support?

Unless you count retrekking the same areas over again with a single new dungeon as exploration, no. Neither it nor its sequel ever open up.

they are lazy fucks

So that you have to buy 2?

If one GTX 1050 or GTX 1060 was all you needed for most games then they would make much less money. My GTX 1070 struggles on so many new games. Fucking ARTIFICIAL BENCHMARKS everywhere.

You can bet your ass there's an artist sneaking in 2k/4k textures on small piece of shit models that are tanking performance. A current example would be ARK which has fuckhuge textures on shit like plants. An older one would be World in Conflict that almost shipped with a fucking basketball covered in a 2K texture.

t. assmad programmer

I think you're looking too deeply into this. If a game runs like shit on a single card then it will still run like shit on 2 cards for its power. Unless devs put a switch in the games engine to enable decent frames when it detects SLI which I wouldn't put above most devs today

I doubt a second card would make a huge difference but going from 50 FPS to 70-80 FPS is essential. Being under the 60 FPS threshold sucks, especially for a card like the GTX 1070 that costs so much.

Why is the ground all shiny and smooth? It looks like saran wrap

Learn to optimize you dumb nigger.
The artists being shit does not excuse modern programmers from being absolutely UNABLE to optimize for shit.
Fucking 2d games have abysmal requirements nowadays because devs are incredibly inept.

Because that would imply they had competent programmers and most of them have fucked off to software development where the salaries and hours are much better.

Although a friend of mine did get Destiny 2 to run at 60fps on an Intel Graphics card so maybe there are some companies that still factor in their game budget optimization.

it could work if it didnt have the option to lower the fucking graphics in the game and actually making a big difference between ultra, normal and low graphics.
Also, are normalfags even into computers in current year?
Anyway, arent all the new graphic cards being bought from fucking bit coin farmers?

GIT
GUD

You fucking suck at your job stop being shit

So far the only dev who has any business with a 2D game having steep requirements is the Brigadir dev because he's basically doing something completely different with how he's rendering his graphics, he wants to revolutionize 2D or something with it.

This depends entirely on how badly people want to play the game with higher settings, and I don't know the number of how many people are willing to buy a new graphics card for that.

Gpu prices fucking tripled during this time, but AFAIK it's died down since then because buttcoin mining is becoming less and less profitable. Makes me miss the days any faggot with a gpu could mine a good amount of coins.

but user, what if the current performance is after as much optimization could be done

yeah at minimum settings on 720p

AMD master race since 2000, feels good man.

What the fuck game is that? Looks like a pile of dog shit.

Just look at starcraft remastered. Darkest dungeon which is basically some drawings moving around.
You can see it quite clearly when you compare something like:
valdis story (which is light)
to hollow knight(which has abysmall requirements)
salt and sanctuary
titan souls
etc

Highly unlikely. They sometimes blame it on the engine, but they still chose the engine themselves.

fuck you in the ass, you intel shill. maybe you could compete on price point if you were giving Saarkesian 300 million dollars?
maybe you could compete on performance if you didn't change your architecture every two years. You are the Apple of PC hardware.
get fucked.

if texture_res>=fucking ridiculous{
convert texture -scale $desired_res;
done}
Wow, such a hurdle.

Ashes of the Singularity

and yeah when i first saw those benchmarks my jaw dropped for a good minute, couldn't believe how fucking shitty it looked despite being so hard to run

Why would you optimize when people have all this powerful hardware that will run it anyway? And even if it won't, normalfags will eat it up anyway and blame valid criticisms on the spooky alt-right nazis. Optimizing games is hard but adding trannies and a story mode is really easy.

Things started to go downhill once (((they))) realized how profitable the gaming industry was.

marxism is pretty fucking trash, and they're not even learning marxism.

I have always turned shadows down to almost non-existent and 9/10 times it fixes any fps issue I had.

The only game it never worked on was Asscreed 4. Still don't know why that game runs like shit.

I think Ubisoft is the king of poorly optimized games… that shit gave me PTSD

And of course they mean marxism as in communism.

If you take that statement at face value though, it means that the game should be designed to be enjoyable by anyone even if they suck at it.

Highest settings are just a meme at this point. The difference between high and low in modern games isn't anywhere near as significant as it was back in 2007 for example, the biggest change between the two is that highest runs like shit.

Doesn't it just means that the game is already optimized on lowest, and higher quality settings just tank performance for no good reason?

if I play without my glasses on (and my vision isn't that bad) I can't see the difference between medium and ultra in a lot of games

shit some settings like Bloom, Motion Blur, Antialiasing, Post Processing are useless and the game usually looks better without them

As the programmer, it's your job to organize all these files and cut down on the fat.
t. smug programmer that didn't go into gamedev as a career

Starcraft II's fault. God forbid you take advantage of advanced external graphics to deliver more detailed sprites, more units at once, complex physics interaction/projectile management, or even just moderately innovative or interesting aesthetics. No, everything should be plastic piles of shit with muddy textures and too many shiny filters. No. really, go compare that screenshot with one from SC2: WoL.

43 posts in, no one tries to tell op is full of shit because it's clearly using the CPU more than a GPU

they all use the same processor in that pic bud, only difference is the GPU's

sort of. There's more to it but you can infer that from it. There's a lot of reasons why performance tanks so badly, lets try to look at a few of them.

Imagine you have a rendering technique like ambient occlusion, there's a few ways its achieved but say you are using a sample based method, where the sample count increases the detail and accuracy of the ambient occlusion but exponentially increases the demand on your hardware. the difference between 2x and 4x AO is noticeable. The difference between 4x and 8x is noticeable. 8x and 16x is hard to see, but they all look pretty good overall. It's a feature that can't be disabled and the performance difference between 2x-16x will take away about 20 frames on average. Ultra settings will be 64x and the difference in quality? You might notice it in a direct screenshot comparison if you are looking directly at that effect and nothing else. In a scene comparison? Unnoticeable. This is where a failure of ultra settings comes from. Your GPU can churn it out but it'll be getting some real difficulty the higher the sample count.

Another thing is, certain GPU architectures are optimized for certain conditions. There's actual reason behind "auto-detect" settings, and it comes from driver profiles by the GPU manufacturer and they create these GPUs and the drivers for them targeting certain performance thresholds. It's also why you can specify picture quality vs performance in a lot of driver control panels. Game X will "auto detect", ie, check your driver config, load up the drivers recommend pre-sets for either performance or quality, and roll with it. Some GPUs are designed to handle that 64x AO very well, but if you force the one that isn't to target it, the GPU lacks the power, bandwidth, resources to really churn out that result effectively.

ultra settings are a meme and I sigh every time a mustard mentions them as a legitimate selling point.

Using an engine will inherently be slow as shit if you're not doing specifically exactly what it was made for, which makes for very boring games. But you're right, most indie programmers are shit programmers. That's why they're on the PC.

as a side note, it also doesn't help that the hardware target has changed for GPUs. The 1080 is a mid-end GPU. A $599 mid-range GPU. PC gamers are getting fucked, fucked bad.

Blame cryptoscams.

(checked)
Bullshit, you must be thinking of the 1080 Ti, right?
What the fuck? I don't remember it being this high before. Is this some Berenstein Bears bullshit? Is it just miners inflating the price?

I blame nvidia and PC gamers for accepting it.

the u n d e r c l o c k e d founders edition of the gtx 1080 was released at 599. That's the price I was going for. The nerfed, nvidia branded, worst 1080 was more than a PS3 11 years ago.

They don't accept it, but miners don't care, they buy out the stock even at quadruple prices at times.

Which is to say, there are certain coins that were designed just to drive GPU sales. They specifically selected algorithms that weren't possible with existing ASICs. Of course it goes without saying that ASIC is all around superior to a GPU, from capital cost to running cost to performance, and just when they started to gain market dominance a bunch of coins that could only be mined on GPUs were released - what a (((coincidence))). Same story with cropping up coins that could be mined well only on nVidia brand GPUs.

Which coins are you referring to? Other than Bitcoin, Dogecoin, and Ethereum, I'm not familiar with crypto at all.

i just made $1000 in 1 week by investing in a new cryptocurrency

kind of hard to call something a scam when it makes you money

lrn2invest

I will also add that all cryptocoins are textbook pyramid scheme scams:

I wonder who could be behind that post.

doesn't that come with a loud blower fan

Laziness, ineptitude and yes, so they can have dealings with GPU manufacturers.

You want to know why Intel has been sponsoring Blizzard titles for the last 10 years?

don't just be a useless piece of shit
be a useless piece of shit who uploads the actual books they're telling other people to read

Except now nVidia is bribing devs to shit up their games on anything that isn't nVidia.

My job is to give you max quality pieces jackass, not to resize them for you.

Nigga it ain't a conspiracy, nobody bothers compressing shit because everyone has 420gb of vram
Developers are just too lazy to shrink texture/effect material files.

I'm also angry about whatever it is that you're all angry about fuck everything to be honest

Mate-o potato.
It's not a secret anymore that nobody bothers compressing shit for performance.
We have games with uncompressed relocalization audio for crying out loud, driving game sizes up to like 50gb.

What the fuck is wrong with the younger generations?

Don't you cunts research what you're buying?

1060, 1080 and Titan are the non-broken chips.

You also shouldn't be buying games from shit developers who don't know what they're doing.

I guess it could be worse. You didn't buy AMD.

Cheers, faggot.

go away reddit

Both sides are at fault here, but ultimately its producers who are to blame. I am a little sad I cannot run witcher 3 on my 5 year old pc, but am happy I got witcher 1 dc and witcher 2 ee to run without hickups finally.

Is the whole game rendered from a sparse voxel tree or something? That would explain the performance and strange visuals.

What kind of toaster you have? I've ran Witcher 3 on mostly medium-high settings on a 2009 rig upgraded with a gtx 660 from 2012.

Ashes is more of a benchmark than a game, actual RTS games are more CPU intensive and can run at 4k60 on a GTX 980.

t. Competent Programmer

Don't blame the user for your own failures. The artist is doing their job. Yeah, most don't understand how difficult some of that can be, yes optimization at a deadline can be a pain. Either improve or seek a different career. In short:

Yeah but if the top end graphics cards still have the game looking like shit there's no point buying them in the first place.

He's right. The 1070 has a very serious design flaw. It has 4 GB, but arranged so the last 0.5 have much slower access. So if a game uses more than 3.5 GB, performance takes a massive hit.

Something doesn't feel right, she needs to be a shortstack.

ashes of the singularity was made by some of the coders of sins of the solar empire but it's actually just a tech demo for directx12 since it's designed to be as high end as possible rather then be a decent RTS, it's not a bad rts but it lacks everything that made sins of the solar empire good because ashes of the singularity ties to be a mixture of supreme commander and starcraft2, it achieves this but in the worst possible way.

I haven't tried the expansion pack so I wouldn't know if that fixes my issues with the game and I played it soon after it came out for a short while

There is only one reason why a developer should use Directx 12: when Microsoft is paying him to do so. Vulkan has all the same improvements, but doesn't chain you to Windows.

I don't disagree with that choice honestly, without it their RTS wouldn't really be anything special or you could play homeworld and have a much better experience

She's got big storage

I hope you're at least talking about FXAA.

So this webum is still applicable? Neat.

Brigador is 3D though, what are you on about?

Except that the game posted in the OP looks like absolute garbage. No reason for it to run so shitty.

this is taking retardation to a new level, it has to be bait

it's just bland, it's not terrible looking but has nothing going for it tbh

Would it be a good idea to buy a graphics card in black Friday or should I wait until February for the prices to (maybe) drop?
Going for ~1200 here

Thanks.

I was just thinking about this. There's no way todays games require anything more than 2 or 3 generation old cards if they were properly optimized. It's all a ploy to sell graphics cards.

Enjoy your interactive experiences, faggot

Pretty sure SC:FA runs worse than this unless you're doing nothing.

at no point after it was released did supreme commander run poorly since the models and textures weren't over-inflated as fuck

I think this is the new faction in the expansion pack but they're in op's clear screen shot of a yt video

Cybran best girl.

The GTX 1060/ RX 480 will run anything on med/high unless you're on 4K or some shit. And those are just slightly better than the GTX 970/ RX 390, the graphics cards that most people had outside of 'MUH TITAN' folks. We're at the point where you can grab a mid-tier card and be set for 5+ years.

What's a good GPU for 4K under 800$?

here's better pictures tbh

my shit computer was running it fine and it was prebuilt trash that couldn't run overlord 2 and I played it lan with afew friends with equally as shit computers at the time but muh personal experiences don't count right

if only the story wasn't so fucking black and white and they had more going for them then just "waz just descriminated aganist by ebil tyrants!" and also had better sea units

Final Fantasy is pure shit after 7, you should have stopped there. 8fags and 9fags can fuck off. 4-7 and Tactics are the only decent games in the franchise.

At this point 4K is still mostly a meme. If you want 60fps get a high tier card. If you want good 4K performance wait for better cards, monitors, and content that actually takes advantage of it.

You just had low standards.

that's the 970 retard

eh possibly tbh

I've literally never played any of SupCom's singleplayer.
You've got me there. Hence spam air units.

I'd like either 110+fps @ 1440p, or 60 on 4K. Budget isn't much of an issue, as long as it's either powerful and/or it lasts 5-ish years then I'm fine.

How does that even make any since Holla Forumslacky?

Bankers, federal reserve, taxes, controlled economy. Obvious clues my dude.

Thats unrealistic with current hardware

UMA

uef is basically the bad guy trying to keep everyone down

aeon is peaceful religion who didn't want this war but uef genocided muh peaceful ayylamos

cybran is cyborg slaves on the run from the uef who enslaved them with chips

the story is there's some warp gate device which you can use to send data with and everyone wants their hands on it because you can use it to turn off warp travel as well as various other shit tbh

well you've got to remember cybran has no navel shields only stealth which is only really useful on large maps as Omni makes it useless

Oh I agree, the AA available is second-to-none. It's just I rarely play naval-heavy maps and even when I do I'm rushing with air units. As pointed out by user, the lack of a shield ship is kind of a turn-off and naval stealth is kind of a meme.

That actually sounds passable. Would playing through any of the campaigns increase my appreciation of the game as a whole?

This explains why my brother always plays UEF.

The shields will last for a bit during initial shelling and then become useless if you force engagement before they come back up

Additionally the corsair has what, 1/4th or so damage of a strat bomber, meaning 4 corsairs is basically a cheaper, faster turning, faster flying, easier to engage/disengage with alternative.
Simply attack the enemy shields with corsairs, then engage with the rest of the fleet while the corsairs retreat over your rape-everything AA. 4-5 can sink a destroyer, too i believe.

You only really have to be wary of moving around so you don't eat tac missiles or aeon rape orbs.
The t3 torpedo battery will mean you have a place to retreat to as well if the enemy spams t3 subs, whereupon you just rape those with torpedo bombers.

As implies, though they're kind of ass if sea isn't a major part of the map, and stealth of any kind that isn't rushing really is a complete meme since everyone builds omnis.

I would say that it's more stock holders appeasing which would be his point making more sense if he didn't go full alt-right "is all jews my friendo no I don't need to point out what's clearly obvious as I jump logic based on assumption"

honestly just look up the cinematics on yt, the missions have only a select few from each faction that are fun tbh but if you're really into supcom then it's worth it

what do you mean broken

1060 can't even SLI, if anything it's the broken one

Wait for Volta, it's right around the corner

stardock has always been windows centric

Artist's job is to make art.
Programmer's job is to make program.
Programmer's job is not to babysit the artist and make sure what he produces is usable. Programmers have enough trouble making sure everything works correctly on various hardware setups without artists giving them more work.

That's not at all how the story goes at all.
Started with the Earth Empire, which discovered the ayys and after having a falling out with them released a horrible disease into the atmosphere and all the ayys died. The Aeon are made up of humans who got obsessed with the religion (but seem to have completely misrepresented it), they declared Jihad on the earth empire.
Cybran declared independence from the Earth Empire, which responded by crushing them under heel, which is a natural response since they're a monolithic empire and you generally don't want entire swaths of population seceding. A few of the Cybran's highest ranks managed to escape in the mayhem.
Earth Empire collapsed after that (its not really explained how, but you can assume things just turned into a bloody mess and politicians started slitting eachothers throats in the mayhem caused by the power vacuum the Cybran created).
UEF was the military taking control and restoring order, now they're just trying to restore common law to the planets of the former earth empire while suffering barbaric attacks from literally islam and literally antifa. All of this could have been avoided if the cybran hadn't been selfish fucks and seceded in the first place. It was literally rich college kids with their fancy implants getting bored of all the peace and prosperity.

jaden is that you?

corsairs are good but you can't have them support your land and sea at the same time until you gain air superiority

quite honestly nothing is really shown of what earth empire was like and it's just kinda looked over to get to the point tbh

Pretty sure the empire wanted them all to have some sort of mandatory killswitch/mind control chip which is what prompted them to fuck off to begin with.

What?

fresh generations coming out of school are all learning languages that have built-in memory garbage collection. its making them lazy.

Codename for the next generation of GPU's… I'm under NDA so can't talk about it much but it's nearing release

That came after. Not until after the Cybrans declared independence, I'm not sure if it was installed before and kept under the radar (to be activated when the college chip kiddies declared independence), or if it was installed on the symbionts after the Cybran first started to form.

A point was made of the fact that it was very prosperous and advanced. I think it was meant to be the model utopia with how they describe the rapid technological advancement.

Symbionts were a part of the earth empire and they are a part of the UEF, Cybran are just the shithead symbionts.

I do forget, did it say it's people were prosperous or that the earth empire was?

Volta is the current name for nVidia's next architecture release in GPUs, that will succeed the current Pascal architecture.

Well as I've said before, I've not actually played through the single player campaign, so my views and opinions on the Cybrans are inherently flawed.

Not to mention UEF is complete uggu. Fuck off with your metal boxes.

Function begets form, you plebeian.

"Humanity entered a golden age of peace and prosperity."
I know what you're looking for my little class division creating hook nosed friend.

things can and will be much worse

youtube.com/watch?v=p8zD2uYryJM it also says that it succumbed to humanities base instincts

Negroe, prithee.

there are no words

He means the other ones have CUDA cores torn out of them, rather than being complete dies.

That's the 970.

Both are to blame. Fallout 4 is a perfect example of not to do texture or programming work.

All of it was the cybran's fault. All of it.
Two can play at this game.

Spoken like a frail ladyboy who needs to rely on tricks to overcome his enemies and not a strong core backed by a stable economy.

skyrim is the same way, with high res textures mixed with blurry ones, it looked like shit

Good luck establishing either when my T1 rush has overwhelmed your pathetic line defenses.

this game looks like it barrows a lot of designs from mechwarrior

cept that it was stated that those control/killswitches were made prior to earth empire collapse
everyone can play at this game because EVERYTHING IS SO FUCKING UGLY IN SUPCOM 2 HOLY SHIT WHY THE FUCK YOU STUPID NIPS

I've always harbored a grudge against SupCom2 because it killed my GTX280 way back when. And also because it is objectively bad in almost every single way.

The art direction for the sequel was so bad one can't help but try to find a logical reason for it.

And it turns out the earth empire was right. Funny how it works like that.

It looks like it borrows designs from fucking castlevania judgement. Shit is hideously over designed and has no direction. Two nukes really wasn't enough.

cept that it isn't specific what caused the down fall and that these things were happening while everything was tumbling down so in actual it could just be nothing more then more fuel to the fire rather then what triggered everything.

tbh

You done fucked up now.

Typical cybran shifting the blame onto some ephemeral ~something~ that may exist outside of scope and refusing to take responsibility for their actions. This is the future you chose. We had something nice going, you threw your civil temper tantrum, and now we're here. There's a direct correlation between the chaos created by the symbiont "uprising" and the collapse of order in the earth empire.

And the typical sophist which can only argue by sowing distrust and creating physical divides between groups who are unified in values and morals, the UEF practices genetic engineering and AI symbiosis. Symbionts are welcome in the UEF, the only demand the UEF makes on its citizens, is the only demand any sovereign has the right to make, better yourself, better your neighbors. Unlike the aeon or cybran who demand you hate anyone who isn't in the cult.

watch the video tbh

I'm not sure what delusion you so badly want me to see here.

how is it cybrans fault when it doesn't state it is so

I literally never said that. Upgrade everyone.

What, you want the introduction video to outright state "the cybrans directly and on purpose destroyed the earth empire and started the infinite war by seceding and sowing chaos"?
The facts are that we had a utopia, the symbionts declared independence and created a class divide (gee where have I seen THAT before), the aeon formed on some backwater planet no one really gives a shit, and then the earth empire collapsed into chaos. You can't just say "well they didn't explicitly state that this one event was the sole cause of the mess" if there are no other possible causes. You can't say there was a general civil unrest because the UEF isnt a tyrannical government, the people love the state as the state loves the people.

you say this collapse happens after these events where as in the video it shows that the collapse happens before these events

The exact words "The earth empire collapsed" occurs after. It says the thread began to unwind moments before stating that the cybran demand independence. The thread unwinding IS the cybran demanding independence.

actually it just states symbiont became a thing and that the cybran independence was demanded after the collapse, although tbh it seems abit fucking retarded that cyber enhancements is equal to a new race of people, then again at least the cybran fucked off someplace else rather then hang around and ruin shit like niggers do

Personally, I game on a basic sandybridge laptop. Unlike many people here, I'm not just pretending to hate modern videogames.

I have never told somebody that they are shit and their suggestion is shit so fast in my life. amd isn't the best by any means but at least for me it's been stable for years on end.

WHY THE FUCK DOESN'T JEWVIDIA JUST MAKE CARDS AS DURABLE AS THE 8800 SERIES? FUCK!

What happened to reasonable expectations?

At this point it's not a manufacturer issue but either power delivery / heat the guy literally molests his computer on a regular basis.

But it looks bland and ugly as shit.

render miplevels into a cache at powers of two, then all that needs to be done is loading the appropriate texel density into ram and graphics.

Texturemap size both doesn't matter, and and aside from unity skid faggots studios have their own content pipeline and can review large texture maps easily: UV co-ords are normalized so it doesn't matter if you scale down the texture.

Finally the assmad programmer is the guy that's hammering the card with draw calls or changing the graphics context too often. Usually performance problems are CPU or bandwidth so try and clean up your graphics context by reducing API calls. Modern GPUs can rasterise whatever textures they can cache it's bad shaders they choke on.

now you don't have to be assmad at the mote in artist's eyes.

the design of the unit sets the tune which does matter because it's representing the main issues of he game, that's it a dumbed down nother starcraft 2 clone that completely shits all over the old game and for insult to injury they patched in the monkeyking spiderbot to appease fans after release instead of actually fixing the problems everyone had with it which was more then you'd realize from simply looking at the gameplay point of view, so no don't give me that and also I expect the RTS to be treated with some dignity since it is a very niche genre that is grounds for devs to actually stand out and really define them selves in and I depend that I as the audience for said genre not to be brushed off simply because fucking japs wanted a esports, it's fucking squire enix not bloody EA.

well like that other user said they more then likely got funding from microsoft because of it and I agree with you the game looks and plays very blandly I don't think it's entirely throwawayable since it's probably got some silver lining I don't really care to see tbh

I don't think it's out of malice so much as incompetence and laziness.
In the past developers had to optimize their shit in order for it to work at all on the limited hardware.
But now you have much stronger (and relatively cheaper) hardware and lower standards from the consumer's side, so developers can get away with bullshit simply because it's the standard now.
It's not a problem that plagues just videogames, you'll notice modern windows uses way more RAM than other operating systems, your web browser probably leaks memory to such a ludicrous degree it can use up 3GB of RAM after working for a day and even my fucking bank application on my android smartphone takes ages to load only to crash afterwards, I mean it just displays number for fuck's sake, how do you fuck this up?
your shit doesn't work? just crank up the minimum requirement!

yes, I'm mad

It makes little difference whether it is a deliberate policy to not optimize games or whether it is an unintended consequence of incompentence, laziness or cost-saving measures. The result is the same: Skyhigh hardware requirements, disgruntled customers who have to spend hundreds of dollars to enjoy the game or get stuck with a sub-par gaming experience.
And you're right, Windows is a big part of the problem and if there is a conspiracy or collusion between software companies and hardware companies Microsoft and Google are prime suspects. There are probably hundreds of Linux distributions that require less than 128mb RAM to operate and use less than 700mb disc space and even some of the most bloated distributions work just fine with 256gb RAM, but windows doesn't even boot without gigabytes of RAM and 16-20GB of disc space.

Optimizing a game was an art, and i believe it's long lost. The games are now as optimized as the Engine they are made in allow by default.

Also devs are FUCKING lazy.

Heroes of the storm has a config file right there where you can downgrade the game as much as you want and make it run on toasters if you want. But the graphical options are bullshit. Same for Dark Souls 2 and 3. Remember Watchdogs? What about Every fucking Unreal engine game?

devs don't give a shit. They prefer the game to look good even at min settings instead of adding a bigger array of settings. Look at Serious Sam 3. THAT's how you do settings. You can make the game look worse than quake 2 but play soft like a feather.

But nowadays devs don't even let you deactivate shadows unless you fiddle with the config file. 10 years ago shadows were an option, now it's low Q (and even today's low Q is still high compared to before)

you HAVE to fiddle with the settings, it's ridiculous

Well those other complaints make a lot more sense. I was under the assumption it was another case where unless the game is a 10/10 masterpiece then it's worthless. In this drought of decent games, there is nothing wrong with a flawed gem if it clicks with you.

sadly that is not the case with new RTS, personal tastes asides that is

what the fuck is going on in this image

how do you even cause damage like that

man that shit's just ugly.

4u

Because (((they))) want you to spend your goyshekels on shitty hardware that is labeled as "new" and ((("revolutionary"))), all for the sake of using shitty software that is negatively-optimized (uses far more resources than it should),

They don't care about performance because the average consumer doesn't either.
Normans will happily pay 60 bucks for some 1D game that can't run on their gtx 4160 ti BOOST penta-sli setup with the newest Core iPrimeNumber faae extreme sex edition with 1niggabyte of RAMBUS storage and a solid state memory stick that isn't even good.
They'll even buy a Creative Autism© soundcard with optimized electron flow and aeroinsulation for exclusive 5k hexaHD sound effects.

if i remember correctly most of those faggots only have a fucking integrated graphics thingy from intel or amd cpu

This.

I just made over $6000 in one night in Vegas. You just need to be smart with your money and you will get rich.

I just made 50k at home.

What's your method, cryptocurrency?

Capitalism isn't a conspiracy.

Most people game on toasters. Or consoles.

Yeah an ugly truth that lots of gamers can't accept.

This guy just made $3 as a viral marketing fag on Holla Forums. This post alone made me him another cool $0.01

considering all the third world trash who buy utter shit because it's the only game imported into their country I don't doubt it tbh

Because modern software developers in general are incompetent fucks, and everything fucking sucks. They make complete and utter shit because they can get away with it, because consumers are retards and will continue to buy more and more garbage.

When something becomes an industry, it dies. Money always inevitably murders creativity and quality. It turns pleb whites into kikes.

Sorry to be off topic, but is anyone else having their options bar disappear? Can't set inlining, top boards, turn off auto update thread etc.

Might be a Pale Moon problem as others work fine. Sorry again.

Everything's fine here

If you're a poorfag.

until 144hz monitors don't look like shit I personally don't see the point in needing much more than 60FPS.

This. My GOTY was a fan TL of a 15 year old PSP game.

Didn't need a fancy GPU.

What kind of PC do you need to play indie games?

If you have a $500 GPU you are a niche of a niche. It just doesn't look that way because the mainstream gamer is not active on forums and boards.

I clicked an ad and it told me all about money making.

When SC2 first hit the market, it fucking fried Nvidia cards because it was rendering in 5k fps in the main screen. I still don't know how they didn't get sued over that.

link? or is the iso patched?

At the beginning I wanted to join in on shitting on you but you kinda have a point. Since we're responsible for creating visual assets we also know which elements need more detail and which ones can get away with low-res because they won't be seen that much. But still, you code monkeys could put a little more effort with optimization; all you have to do is write some shit and the rest is doing itself for you, while we have to do everything by hand.

Then I'll get a television instead. I do want OLED or IPS.

Nigga what? Why the fuck would anyone convert the original screencap to fucking gif?

I lost the original I had and when I found this shit I couldn't be bothered to look for better version.

Well shit, I know I have it saved somewhere but I can't find it in my mess of folders right now. I need to organize my crap.

I couldn't find a better version with the same composition on Google so I restored it to almost proper quality. Pic rel if perhaps you actually don't have it saved.

Nah, fuck your excuses.
So I'm a 40 year old C/C++ programmer who just recently started contracting in gamedev. I last did a little gamedev in the '90s so I've seen many years of difference. Gamedevs today are drooling retards and there is no excuse.
I'm working with Unity guys and they generate dozens of megabytes per second of garbage, will walk the hierarchy like a DOM to find objects as none of them seem to have ever heard of spatial datastructures, do fucking everything live with raycasts that should have been baked, have little to no automated testing so programmers break eachother's shit back and forth endlessly when 'fixing' things, use shitty tools that make things as commonplace as bisecting to find a bug nearly impossible, fucking everything needs to tick per frame despite almost nothing actually needing that, and almost nothing is event-driven. It's horrifying. And this isn't a small project either, it's firmly in the AA range.
They're essentially webdevs, now. The only old-school programmer left is the Factorio dev.

Fuck me daddy

>MUH Holla Forums BOOGEYMANG ;_; ;_; ;__; ;_;
Kill yourself, /utg/ KIKE.

Bump

This what you looking for user?

I need all you techies to help since you're lurking in this thread:

Is the GTX 980 noticeably worse than the 1080? How much should I pay for one if I'm building a custom rig? Any website that can help determine if a rig is incompatible internally before I buy the parts?

Pic related.
You shouldn't upgrade at all, unless you can get an excellent resell price for your 980 (and you are pushing extreme resolutions or refresh rates, or both, or want to run VR better)
I don't know of a website that has automated this. That being said, you can post your build on PC Part Picker and the users there (and here, if you link to it) can look over it for any incompatibilities.

Probably that, deals with Nvidia and such that helps them fund their games. Other than that, they don't bother to make good graphics and don't bother to optimize their shit because the new cards can probably take it. But it's a really big coincidence for it to happen right now that even old cards can run beautiful games. Graphic quality has been decreasing lately, that's insane.

Unless you really, really want a warranty for some nonsensical reason, never buy new parts. The easiest way to see current prices is by checking eBay's "Buy It Now" and "sold" auctions.

For instance, the cheapest new GTX 980 listed on PC Parts Picker right now is $438.63 (prices shown for other GTX 980s go clear to $686.53, why!?). For comparison, good "Buy It Now" GTX 980s for sale on eBay are $229-$300, while good sold auctions of GTX 980s in the last couple months were just $175-$220.

That's over 2-3 times cheaper than new, and scaled up by the price of an entire rig's upgrades (not to mention selling your old parts for way more than OEM trade-in value), that is either a lot of money saved, or a far stronger-specced rig.

Oh, and for comparison, the prices for a GTX 1080 are:
New: $500-$939
Buy It Now: $460-$630
Auction: $227-$500
So barring a really spectacular deal, it's not worth the ~20% extra performance over the GTX 980.

your first word in the title got it right. its not complicated.

How much is your GTX 980 listed for right now, and how soon do you want to sell it?

I've got an EVGA 1060 SSC GAMING 6GB I could be persuaded to part with for about $300 USD.
Part number 06G-P4-6267-KR, used for about one month, all default clock speeds.

I believe the 3 year manufacturer warranty carries through to you, although I need to double check. Bought late March this year.
The website's picture of the box is wrong, don't know why.

Do humanity a favor and just off yourself you incompetent fuck.

n-no! its never the fault of the people who have no talent and just move money around to seem important!

I would rather wait another week and get a better brand for less money.

I chuckled heartily.

whoa commie fag! stop talking shit about our gloruious job-creating overlords!

does it have ballistics and shit like total anni and men of war?!?!!? i love that shit

this thread would make more sense if you posted an actual game that looks like its from 2007 instead of benchmark software that's designed to push the limits of current hardware.

Intel MBs can be ropey certainly, but nvid cards blow AMD out for capability and stability. My last AMD card was a fucking shitshow and the one before it too.

Tell him to stop shooting his load inside his case.

No he sold the house

you mean projectiles physicists? yeah but it hardly matters when it's maps are as flat and uninteresting as can be

Hope you've got a fire extinguisher handy user.

Could be CPU intensive like Arma 3. Go to settings so that it can utilize your hardware and close everything except for your game.

Textures only take up RAM, not the GPU.

Holy shit this thread is dunning kruger incarnate. This is not an issue of >optimization, a word mostly used by retards who think "optimizing" will somehow magically reduce sorting complexity below O(n log n) and make pathing large amounts of boids less mathematically intense. Optimization has actually come a long way in recent years, mostly with the violent push for 4K and "next gen visuals" on consoles which lead to all sorts of temporal filtering trickery and extremely robust, fast PBR pipelines. Game studios might be shit but they still have good C++ programmers who know their shit. Watch some GDC talks about L2/3 cache missing optimizations for the PS4 Jaguar chip for example.

They look pretty nice, but I toggle them off because they're detrimental in fast paced shooters like R6:Siege. It's not good if your enemy is a blur.

That's true, forgot about how fragment shaders handle them. Still not the fault of artists though. He has full control of the memory.

Tell those buggers to hurry up and manufacture the Voltas already. Its about to be the longest gap in Nvidia release history, 16 months right now. Gaps are usually averaged 12-18 months, rarely 18-22 months. The only gap in the past 6 years that was 22 months was 900 to 1000. Let's hope this is not the new norm.

1070 → July 10 2016
Today → Nov 17 2017

Last I heard they were skipping consumer Volta and going to a new arch called Ampere, so who the hell knows when or where that's going to drop.

There's almost no one like that anymore outside of console enginedevs who are a rare breed. Almost all vidya code today is written by people who would be unable to maintain a Debian package.

Sorry, but this will be a rig specifically for Toonboom. I'm not sure that will apply.

toonboom.com/products/harmony/system-requirements

Moore's Law is over, user.
Gaps are going to become longer and longer.
That's not necessarily a bad thing you consumerist Redditor

Haha wow it's almost as if Nvidia™ and Intel™ are Jewish-owned companies with a budget 100 times higher than AMD's and use said budget to release mediocre zero-effort GPUs and persuade Triple A cucked devs to make their games run like utter dogshit on AMD hardware thanks to the Nvidia™ GameWorks™

Oi! boy this game you! it's on sale, you'll get a great deal.

So, I wait for the Volta and new Ryzen version then.

Doom 2016 is glorious. Look at some of the Wine videos with Vulkan. It's so smooth, you almost can't see the difference.

Valve's stuff is also maintained extremely well. They just get drowned out by the sound of obese Reddit neck beards crying over no new game releases.

A shame Bethesda has axed 3rd-party licensing of idTech 6, and will probably never open the source or provide tools for modders, since all their games like Doom 3 are cucked for consoles.

>games like Doom 34 are cucked for consoles
durr

Console enginedevs might be rare quantitatively, but that's where the optimization happens, and every big studio has them unless they license UE4 or something. Obviously, a codemonkey writing lua scripts for levels, writing UI behavior and so on won't do optimization well but he doesn't need to, performance depends on rendering, collision detection / response, AI, the ECS and the messaging system. Those things do get optimized to hell and back, and they work well. You have to think how fucking slow and terrible the PS4s CPU is, it's a fucking 1,6Ghz "octacore", which are AMDs bulldozer-era bullshit modules with shared integer clusters, and it's just overclocked it a little for the Pro.
and so on are not bad because retards wrote the core of the engine badly, that shit is on point. They are bad because producers push for a gazillions of features, systems and assets to go into that game, and then don't allow for the time to do it right, or don't care about frametime budgets in the first place.

One nice effect of the upgraded PS4/XBone units is that devs are starting to include options in consoles to choose between gameplay-crucial performance (framerate, resolution) versus graphical effects. It might not be long before a console game ships with the ability to individually choose texture/model detail, view distance, clutter level, texture filtering, postprocessing, and so forth.

why are you trying to run games with a low-mid end GPU? upgrade to a 1080ti if you want to run new games well. I'm not even fucking kidding. Nvidia released the 1080 as a mid end GPU. A 700 dollar mid range card.

Is this true? My whole PC I've been using to play games since 2006 cost that much.

all of valve's games are just cpu heavy, if you have a competent cpu from the past 10 years you should be fine for pretty much all of them. Even a q6600 will be getting above 60fps in csgo.

consoles are also pushing more core support and games are catching up. assassins creed origins maxes out 4 core cpus and many others greatly benefit from more cores. Intel is fucked.

yep. Generational performance increases and even the GPU code name (GP104) is literally mid-tier. PC gamers got suckered hard and Nvidia got away with it.

You could say it like that, or you could say that Pascal yielded incredibly well and what they expected to be a mid-range die turned out to be faster than anything else on the market, so they priced it higher. It's not like AMD is to be taken seriously as competition, so they set the bar.

yep, and when AMD can't compete, Nvidia gets away with charging $700 for mid-range performance. And they got away with it.

Rumors of Intel taking another swing at the dGPU market don't really raise my hopes much. Is there any chance some of the GPU families currently hiding in the mobile market (PowerVR, Adreno, Vivante, VideoCore, etc.) beefing up to provide competition to the nVidia/AMD duopoly?

Capitalism, Ho. Not like any other publicly traded company wouldn't do the same. Only manbabies think of companies as evil and greedy or good and benevolent.

they shrunk massively after their agreement with Sony on the PS3 fell through and no one else is competitive in the high performance market. AMD and Intel are teaming up to have AMD GPUs on Intel CPUs and thats the best way to get to Nvidia who is on top of their game right now.

only retards try to justify being fucked over by one company by saying "everyone else will do it anyway!"

Strategy games are the only genre that is PC Exclusive, so of course its made for the elitist asswhipes who spend $2k on a rig just to play games that require a microscope just to see character models.

8K!!!

Im not being fucked over by Nvidia, mostly because i don't get autistic over internal codenames and then pay whatever is asked because i need to feel good about my epic gayming rig.

The microscopic twinge of fear produced by Ryzen has caused the biggest price cut for years from Intel, something similar happening to nVidia would be a godsend.

Just because cuckitalism is dysfunctional, doesn't mean you have to be proud of getting bilked for outdated tech that's artificially drip-fed to you for maximum profits.

OP ashes of the benchmark is a conspiracy to sell you a CPU, modern cards handle it just fine, the problem is the CPU gets fucking murdered so your GPU utilization plummets. that was the whole point thats why this vapor ware game is in every benchmark because when discussion around vulkan and DX12 ended up droning on and on about drawcalls, the dev went drawcalls? ill give you all the fucking drawcalls you can handle.

you need 6+ cores for this thing to not run like shit.

texture resolution doesn't mean fucking anything to performance UNLESS it goes over your VRAM limit, but then it leaves obvious stutters / frametime spikes that are indicative of memory swapping.

dont know how to tell you this but the mantra FOREVER has been that advances in hardware will fix it, they pray to moores law to save them, the problem is hardware advancement has slowed down, giving a fuck about optimizing your code is relatively new thing outside of the embedded autists who work on low level languages.

I completely agree
Capitalism is the reason thousands of highly intelligent, exceptionally skilled and exhaustively trained engineers devote their lives to create and continuously advance microscopic silicon dies with absurd amounts of transistors on them just so overweight manchildren can play their video games in the first place.

Capitalism regularly requires a kick in the ass via antitrust busting or public projects (for instance NASA & the military pouring money into what would eventually turn into SGI, from whom the designers of every PC GPU worth mentioning hailed) to keep from grinding to a halt in a downward spiral of masturbatory suicidal greed.

Yes, i wish some chinese or korean company would start making desktop GPUs, it could lead to a full on tech war like we had with smartphones.

nigger capitalism hasn't existed since the early 1900s. you were never alive for capitalism.

It's mostly corporatism, isn't it?

That word doesn't mean what you think it does.

because its not about optimization and its more about making things simpler for women and other groups of people that don't play games regularly, to understand them more easily.
take bethesda for example, their games run like shit, but at least women can understand them, too bad they cant play them on their laptop

If people stop expecting people not to be complete kikes that would fuck the lives of countless of others just to save a penny, the people who aren't like that already will feel even less like they shouldn't do that kind of thing.
Supply and demand, you know.

Fucking edgelords.

I didn't say that they should fuck you over, it's just that so many faggots have one petty little issue with life and start throwing "capitalism" around as if they had any idea of economics or the world in general.
All i wanted to do is to put things into perspective, in any other system none of this would exist in the first place, no one would give a shit about what some virgin in his cave thinks about how his personal entertainment should look like, video games don't serve the motherland, nor the reich, nor really anything. It's decadent and vapid, and only exists because of demand and a free market to. It's like being upset about a hair in your soup and then jumping to the conclusion that restaurants are fundamentally flawed.

There are different forms of Capitalism unlike Communism dipshit.

I have to admit continual amazement at the fact that a genre as totally unsuited to consoles as FPSs has become the go-to genre for modern console games, in spite of nearly every element fundamental to its essence (aiming, intricate RAM-hungry levels, mods, private servers, low latency) having to be automated away or broken into a monetized service for players to buy separately, yet the two other big PC genres during the darkest days of consolization in the 1997-2007 period (RTS & MMORPG) never really made the jump from PC.

>I-i-it wasn't real capitalism!

There were and are other funding models that produce similar products, already being invented or rediscovered as the copyright system by which capitalism wormed its way into the arts disintegrates in the face of the electronic age.

What time are you referring to? Capitalism wasn't invented in the 20th century, the romans had currency you know?
1. Classical artists were paid by kings and aristocracy or the empire in almost every case
2. Im not talking about game development here, but about semiconductor hardware, which is not even closely comparable to any sort of "folk art", what the fuck are you talking about?

Capitalism is a specific type of economy (firms owned by investors hiring and firing workers who sell their labor primarily for money) that existed only in weak and sporadic forms until the dominance of the feudal economic system (subjects bound to the land and authority of nobility) that immediately preceded it was destroyed by the emergence of conditions more favorable to capitalism (industrialization, republicanism, democracy, etc.) in the 1700s. Rome's economy was even further disassociated, as most economic activity was performed by slaves. Currency or markets alone are not capitalism.

Gee, that sounds similar to some sort of modern internet thingy?
There were large sectors for the production of musical instruments, pigments, quarried stone, and other necessities of personal expression for secular art by the common folk, in every civilization. Even the worst despots of any longevity know that some sort of bone, even just bread and circuses, keeps the masses productive, or at least passive.

This has been my experience too, I don't work in gamedev but I work with a few (since lol who works for videogames anyway?) and yeah, they're fucking retards when it comes to actually using data structures or making sure something runs optimally. Too much training wheels these days, Unity and UE4 have ruined a generation.

t. 25 year old programmer

Who cares? Ashes of Singularity is a garbage game.

Tell that to the Nioh fags who defend a game stuttering on a menu screen because "lol your i7 doesn't have enough cores!".