Heroes of Might and Magic

What went wrong ?

How can one of the greatest series get 4 bad entries in a row ? It's ridiculous. There are so many people who want to play something like this but can't fill the void with a half-decent game.
Did the jump to 3d do this, like it did to disciples? How can Ubisoft keep going for graphics but fuck up optimization and gameplay every single time ? How can they trample on their greatest brand so badly ?

Are there any turn based games like heroes that took the jump to 3d well at all ? Age of wonders perhaps ?

I WANT TO SIEGE CASTLES WITH ARMIES OF BULLSHIT FANTASY RACES GOD DAMMIT
HOW IS IT SO HARD FOR A SINGLE DECENT GAME LIKE THAT TO COME OUT

Other urls found in this thread:

exhentai.org/g/778144/77ee0afd9f/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But those games do exist.

It may be high tier for mobileshit, but it's still mobileshit.

Fuck you, HoMM5 shares the top spot with 3.

Did they ever improve the balance of the game? I've only played three, and it gets on my nerves sometimes.

bullshit

no fuck off 5 is the end even 4 was better. at least it had best soundtrack in the series

Ubisoft.

People don't know how to make a good HoMM game anymore. The fanbase is mostly stuck to 3 because it was peak optimization ( visual prestige and clarity, which newer games keep fucking up ).
Homm3 modding scene is alive, so that's where you should be looking for your fill.
Last year I beat the Homm2 succ wars campaigns and had a blast, even with it's shortcomings.

Heroes 5 was amazing.

No fuck off. It was good. Good music, good design ideas, shitty environment graphics but overall it was a good step back in the direction of homm3.

Still the best looking town screens.

Amazing? No.
Passable? yes.
The sp was fucked from the get go. Building the grail in one camp only to have it stay in the final castle of the last mission (that you fight against). That's bastard levels of cheeky that can't be forgiven.
Also nothing can beat 3's lightning fast computer turns, nothing.

Its so ugly that its unplayable.

Shit you weren't joking.

Said the HoMM3 fan
**HoMM 2 had an objectively better artstyle, HoMM3 looks like very badly done early 3d models were mangled to the point where some of the sprites are nearly impossible to see through. Just compare the HoMM2 chad dragon to all these HoMM3 bug-looking bitches.

And towns.

But gameplay was shallow as fuck, terrible story and lore rape aside from WoW art-stile. Game is ok but not even close to 3. On one level with 4.

How can it be lore rape if it literally takes place in another universe?

It went from dimension hopping aliens and crazy wizards to bargain bin fantasy. What's not to get?

Here no point in this because HEROES 4 is already in new dimension. They jump in another one without reason "just because".

Dimension hopping aliens and crazy wizards IS bargain bin fantasy.

They fucking blow up the last one because Brianna Wu's deviantart OC and a gachimuchi reject decided to see what happens of you start smashing the two most powerful objects in the universe against each other.

Its happened from 3 to 4. Not 5.

reminder to try this
feels just like you're playing homm3

Oh, you mean the switch to Ashan? Well, it made sense to do that since no matter what they would do with the old characters people would dislike it (the original writers being long gone). So they did their own thing with some easter eggs to the more popular characters, something they completely ruined in 6.
To be honest I find the lore of 5 interesting enough, with mages ascending to godhood and shit like that. I also really like that they didn't even try to set up the sequels, and the official spinoff ends with Ashan being conquered by demons in 3 out of 4 endings. If they didn't cling to Ashan in the sequels and continued hopping dimensions it would be interesting.

Fug!

In 4 Sandro already become a right hand of Death God in dimension of dead (or Death Dimension i dont remember).

Well, after reading your post I decided to check it for myself and quickly installed it on my windows 10. Shit doesn't work.
So I did a quick google search, and found out that I can use DXWnd to easily play it, you just have to launch it from the program.

Neat, once i've had some good nights sleep i gotta try if this thing works.

I never really got much into Heroes 3, sure it's a great game and tons of fun with friends and not even that ugly despite having more 3d-models but it's just lacks that certain charm 2 has.

Yeah, I feel you. The hand-drawn sprites really add charm to it, and I really prefer the music in 2.

Imagine, an HOMM game with the graphics of 2, the gameplay rebalanced of 3, and the music of 4

is it good as a warband mod?

I might be casual but i'd also like the hero combat of… 6 i think.
4 went too crazy with heroes participating in battle to the point you could just pretty much solo huge stacks with just your hero while 6 had it toned down so you were the commander but also competent unit of your own but not too competent.

Or atleast that's how i remember it, might be im wrong too as i havent played 6 for yeaaaaars.

it has overpowered power liches that can resurrect dead enemies in a battle
it's fun

HoMM Online was pretty good/10.

V wasn't a fantastic game like III, that much is true.
But it's not a bad game either.

Despite some fuck ups and a low budget (?), they did an overall good job with it.
I have my complaints, but I can also appreciate it.
Having squares instead of hexagons for the battle arena hurt it strongly and I think that this is the main problem most people have with it.

I think the sprites look fine in the original with the HD mod. The second picture is from the HD re-release which looks blurry in my opinion.

came here to say this

"4 bad entries"
HoMMV was superb, get your shit sorted out, user.

3D dragged NWC with them and then ubisoft. It's a pretty simple tale, why are you confused.

*3DO

Didn't HoMM5 switch Gremlins into wielding guns that used some magic shit as propellant (gunpowder equivalent) Also they were from town that was kind of neat in concept as it floated but I heard interacting with it wasn't too practical and I bet it behaves exactly like any other town during sieges.

You know what HOMM needs?

LESS Dragons, not more. I'm sick and tired of 98367864 dragon re-colors.

Actually a valid point, would make the remaining Dragons much more epic. In fact it would probably make more sense to not have them as unit you can recruit from Towns, at least not as easily like other units (costing crystals/sulfur doesn't count)

I long for the return of the paladin/Crusader from homm2 (buffed, of course)

Yeah, they used mortars. In Ashan gremlins are a result of a magical experiment.

It's a regular town, it only looks like it's foating. The only time you can actually move it is during one campaign mission in ToE.

HoMM2 had Green, Red and Black dragons, and it's a linear upgrade progression of one unit.
But yeah, HoMM5 could use less dragons. Just replace black dragons with Faceless, Bone Dragons with Spider women, Green Dragons with some sort of a nature golem and Fire Dragons with some other shit an it would be golden.

In reality HOMM3 has several common breeds of dragons and the rest are really really rare.
It has a lot of everything and that is ok for a rich in creatures fantasy world.
Why would you cut dragons but not reduce the types of human, golem, fairy etc races ?

Because unlike humans and golems, who have distinct looks and playstyles, dragons are all the same shit. (Acide from the dwarf one, but that one is just fucking ridiculous, it looks like a baby chicken). I would just like a bit more creativity with the top unit than "just make it a dragon, switch the colors around".

Above pic contiains a fearie dragon.
it's neither a reskin, nor plays the same way.

Dragons are shit and overdone.

I want to see other units and creatures knock them off their high pearch.

I swear to god, if I make a fantasy game, dragons are going get brutalized in it. I'm sick of them.

??

It's somewhere above in this conversation chain. I'm not going to link it to you directly, use your head.

Don't bully the draggos.

Fairy dragons are the best.

Most dragons below black are meh vs other tier 7 units. Especially skelly.

What modern games dont get right (other than the obvious gameplay, style, etc) is, I wouldnt know how to call it but in homm3 everything is fast and clear at the same time. You dont get stuck between menus, loading times and whatnot, but you dont miss any detail while skipping stuff. Other games either add a lot of stuff that blocks your gameplay, or have stupidly designed menus that make you lose time navigating them because you skipped the only part where X data was shown on screen I tried homm5, it has an option to reove the new gimmicky menu effects but it still doestn play as fast as homm3

I dont know about everyone else but being easy, fast and clear to play is a huge deal for me, specially in any kind of strategy game. It is beyond me why devs put long, fancy scenes/animations/effects on every single menu/enemy turn transition/etc instead of giving you the option of mashing a button to skip. Playing homm3, or doom for example, is almost a pleasure by itself

Made my day

Very much so.

This, story and setting-wise the game was fucking awful, but gameplay with all the expansions was great. I loved the fact that every faction has it's own mechanic, not only necropolis, it made me want to play all of them more.

Don't you just love it when some dip shits on 5 and then goes about praising Dark Messiah or some of the truly mindblowingly dumb shit from 3's expansions. The tranny mage for one nice example.

The main reason people shit on HOMM5 was it was too hard for them. Nival was pretty good at balancing and brought their experience from doing Etherlords yes I know sacrifice decks were broken as fuck to HOMM. Some campaign missions required not lazily waiting around until you had a unstoppable world-destroying army that could roll over anything and that broke the dicks of the casuals in the audience.

Age of Wonders 3 is good

Really? To be fair, I had a lot of trouble with the third mission of the second campaign (Agrael against 3 elven towns with double growth) before it was patched when I was 15 or so and didn't know English or the game well but I'd never think the difficulty was a factor for the disdain.

Final mission was total bull shit, even though I did it on the first try.

As much as I dislike the artstyle, I have to agree that 3 > 5/2 > 4 > rest. Just be sure to get all the expansions for 5.

Not sure if trap or loli. Post source?

I don't blame you for thinking like that in this day and age.

Here's a good mango.

exhentai.org/g/778144/77ee0afd9f/

fucking homosexuals get off my internet

Downloading

I tried playing HoMM V with friends. We gave up after an hour of sheer boredom. Somehow it just doesn't have that quality of fun the previous games had. I consider it a failed game really.

Play Eador: Genesis. It's 2D but it's worth playing. Don't play Masters of the Broken World. Some idiot startup crew decided to remaster Genesis into 3D and made the exact same game only 10x buggier and uglier.

The fuck is that supposed to mean

You coming out of cuckchan went wrong.

checked
same

What's the best might and magic game to play for fun, besides dark messiah. I can barely ever get into them but they theoretically have everything I love in them. Also, does Neverwinter nights count in the same genre as M&M?

Any argument about whether 3 or 5 is better will end up giving the victory to 3 because of this. Even with infinite RAM V will feel like you're watching paint dry compared to 3's performance.

Lying faggots, this mod doesn't exist.

Fuck dragons.

Best mythical creature coming trough!

2/3/4 is a our grail.

You must be a massive faggot if you thought 5 was a bad entry, it was probably the best or second best entry in the series after 3.
It basically had everything the previous series entries did and more, provided you have the expansions and actually added something neat to the game for once, after the abomination that was 4 (literally the only good thing about 4 was the music, the lore was ok)
HOMM 5 was significantly more balanced than HOMM3 and added a bunch of cool shit that was pretty neat, like a alternative tiers for units, the necromancers dark energy stuff and the ability to raise not only just skeletons, as well as individual spell books for some creatures.
The factional skills were also pretty great, for example the summoning for demons could be absurd if the hero was built properly

There were a few significant downsides though, emphasis on "few" as I can pretty much only name 3
1. The unit appearances were a bit shittier than 3, they weren't nearly as good however that might be because they were 3D modeling for the first time. The Magma dragons for the dorf faction walked like a fucking retard ( ==embed related== ). The vampires were pretty neat now that they were decked in armour and swords n shiet. The angels were basically waifu material
Gargoyles however were made really shit, they're probably the worst unit appearance that got ported from homm3

2. was Probably the biggest reason people hated it, The game was slow, every time a character made an animated action in game it was slow, every time you traveled the map it was slow, every time you wanted to do something it was slowed down by something that wasn't necessary after the third time you saw it, all these animations slowed down games immensely
HOMM3 was significantly faster in every action, which made games quicker and funner overall, homm 5 killed fun for a lot of full house multiplayer games due to how ridiculously slow it was compared to 3. If they made the game faster it wouldn't have been a problem and made the game a whole lot better

3. The final problem was the hero skill trees, because they were ridiculously hard to get right, and even worse due to the time investment you put in them it was equally crushing to get the equivalent of eagle eye (literally anything you don't want). Homm3 lacked skills trees so it wasn't as soul crushing as the hero you put almost an hour into gets the wrong skills.

There were other problems, but most of them were minor or temporary
The Dorfs when first released were game breaking OP and only with the addition of the tribes of the east did they get balanced back to hell
Dorfs are probably one of the reasons people really hate the game when they came out, they were practically the new conflux, however unlike the conflux the alternative choices sort of fixed a lot of things
Some people think that rune magic is still op, but undead in my opinion is still strongest team and demon summoning can be absurd
The music also wasn't as good as the previous games, although to be fair the previous games had exceptional good music so its not that bad.
Also they got rid of the fortress castle (swamp) which killed me on the inside as fortress was my main

HOMM6 and 7 however literally compounded on the problems by adding retarded shit like retardedly decked out angels and "we want the Game of thrones crowd" wolf fuckers, honestly it was 10 times worse than the first problem for HOMM5
HOMM6 wasn't as bad as HOMM7 but they were both bad
Also bosses felt like DPS races rather than strategically using your units.

There was also another problem for HOMM5 but i can't remember it for shit

that modern look is not very interesting tho, they are much better when they look like goofy roosters

Using squares instead of hexagons for battle arenas and gigantic units that can't move around to save their lives.
That and the slowness is what put me off playing skirmish in 5.
Campaign was all right, though.

As for the music, I always felt that in 5 it was top-tier, especially for Haven which almost felt like an opera (go see Aida, it'll be worth it) thanks to using the same melody to convey different feelings.
Except when fighting the neutral stacks.
Then it played the same shit over and over again. No variety, when it really needed it.

Amazing birds. Too bad they rarely get to appear in games.

First one looks pretty good to me.
Second is probably Chinese, and if I remember well, they're basically supposed to be fire roosters in their mythology.

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 and 4
Might & Magic 6-8
Dark Kicker of Kick and Kicking

mine biggest problem with 5 is the horrendous artstyle
HoM&M 3 (and M&M 6-8 which uses the same sprites) looks gorgeous

I knew I forgot something, That was possibly the worst decision they made in the entire game
At least the slowness was an unintentional side effect, Changing the hexagons to squares was a fuck you to the HOMM crowd, But at this time it was expected because Ubisoft had just become Ubishit
I'm still surprised it was an actually decent game

Homm 3 sprites are some of the best sprites I've seen in any game of its time, They're still pretty good today.
Homm5 was a result of using 3D models as well as a few poor decisions ( fucking dumb looking gargoyles and the dumb fucking larva dragon walk, both of which were slow as fuck)
Still the vampires turned out ok and the cyclops was somewhat of an improvement, but they basically took the cyclops from dark messiah (which was a pretty gud game)

Despite that and a few minor things like heroes getting their own turns instead of being able to act whenever or initiative which made some units completely useless, the team did a great job with it.
I still wonder why no one tried to make a hex grid mod for the game, but I guess it is too much work to do or not possible at all.

It wasn't that bad.
Some units really did look like shit, but others like paladins, arch angels and vampires were exceptional.
Most fell somewhere between "acceptable" and "meh," but they didn't put me off the game.

royal grifin:
in one game it looks like an animal
in another game it looks like a fucking pokemon

if you didnt mind the horrible design im fine with that but i personally cant stand the artstyle of 5

Other way around.

You are put in charge of designing the new faction(s)

What creatures and style do you go for?

I'm unimaginative and like to pull things from history, so Spanish-esque pike, shot and cannon based faction with enslaved mesoamerican-themed cannon fodder & mythical units I guess.

Weeaboo castle. Something based on either chink or jap motives seeing we got everything from Tolkien and Mallory to Scheherazade and Wagner.

Give me a break. Dungeon, Tower or Stronghold never made more sense and as for Castle I for one much prefer the not-hammer style to tank top archangels.

The only game worth a damn is a spinoff.

I remember at least one of the post HoMM 3 games is just reusing the soundtracks from Might and Magic the series that predates Heroes. Embed unrelated.

What the fuck are you talking about, the artstyle looks horrendous in comparison to Heroes 2.

Also, surprisingly this game is quite alright for a puzzle game.

I would merge rampart with necropolis into a nature chaos/rebirth faction, they would have mossy skeletons, black elves, overgrown zombies, wood spirits/ghosts, lich/druid, some type of animated statue ruin held together with vines and rusty chains, perhaps the phoenix as the highest tier

Inferno would have an aristocracy theme with the bottom tier units being slaves like dregs, imps, magogs and pit fiends, then a ruling class of vampires lords, death knights and (gnostic) archons

The castle faction would have a stronger holy theme with faithful (zealous pikemen), monks, crusaders/paladins, ophanim as their second best, and perhaps some type of warrior prophet/kalki-type as their strongest

I don't know whether you tried Disciples but boy does that sound familiar.

I dont believe Ive heard of it, is it cool?

Fuck Ubi$oft.

Play Disciples 2 with expansions. Ignore 3-rd one is shovelware.

If that's true it's going to blow your mind. For a few examples the demons have an aristocracy theme to the extent of their heroes being called Baron, Duke or Duchess; the elf god died and his wife in her grief became the patron of undeath he's reborn in one of the expansions for 2; humans proper feature war priests, witch hunters and more.

First game is also alright.

The third one was sinfully bad. It is the only game that I have ever played where the game is the literal definition of unplayable, as in when you install and launch it for the first time, it actually does not run. You actually had to send an email to the devs so they could send you a patch to run the fucking game. Once I finally got in, nothing awaited me but utter disappointment. The fact that there was no custom game option was bad enough, but the story was lackluster and the mechanics were atrocious. That crippled movement system and bland character design were unbearable. The combat was only thing in that trainwreck with any shred of potential, not much though.

All it needed was a micro-transaction system and it would have been a perfect example of how god-awful the current video game industry is.

Human god actualy evil one who dismember and mutilate Betrezen what caused all his flock turns in to "demons".

Tell you what, you step on this here pyre and I'll explain the glory of the Highfather so well even your corruption filled ears can hear.

Anyone play Kings Bounty series? Made in the early 2000s by fine slavs who wanted to ape HoMM battle system. There seems to be no siege system and you just roam area to area killing shut and doing quests. Scaling is kind of bodies but at the same time I feel that's a design choice since you are supposed to revisit places. I do not know the quality of latter titles but I feel like slogging through one before attempting another.

No thanks.

The viking themed one is alright and armored princess is probably the highmark of the series. Only the original has the waifu collecting mini-game though.

Oh, my.

i'm free enough to try.

Disciples two is one of my favorite games. I haven't played it recently though because I played it so much I just got bored with it.

Sinfully bad is putting it mildly. Many bad games have at least something redeemable about them. A good mechanic executed badly, a few good parts mixed in with the bad, but disciples 3 had absolutely not one good thing about it. They did absolutely everything wrong.

You don't even have the class or the balls to worship a proper cult. Immortality and soul reaping not good enough for you? Boy molesting, demon furnace fodder the lot of you.

You want proper free? Try getting it on with one of the free folk novices. She can bake, she can brew, she's the perfect height for both blowjobs and headpats and you know she's been raised right. Bring you a cold one, warm slippers and a shoulder rub before you can say deus vult. And if you're so inclined you can find out why they're called tenderfoots

How fucking lazy could they get?

I allmost allways end up with Feanora because +3 Intellect > the rest and you get Xeona so late that i dont really grow into her anymore.

AP/Crossworlds has husbando collecting though, Shame the Darkside was kinda meh… so much halfway empty areas though i did like being able to enslave/seduce/corrupt 3 hot chicks/guys.

It's a DS game.

Beyond contempt. It's a trend in rusky development unfortunately, they'll make a decent title and their parent company will give that title over to hacks to reiterate ad naseum instead of investing more.

From what I remember I usually went with the unded chick over ghosts being truly broken. It's been a while

user, you need to change the batteries on that there Gay-Away 2000™ cattle prod.

Actually game was developed by shell company what a fire old development team and stole money.

Come again?

Actually the servant of the unclean is yet again banished with but the simplest of tools in the hand of the righteous.

Mad jabbering of a weak mind led astray.

I've been trying to get into AP for a while now, but I just keep getting put off by some of the incredibly difficult encounters.
I don't mind losing 80% of my army in a boss battle, but when I have to replenish 20% of my men after every world map engagement, then there is a problem.
Yes, I put a bunch in reserve and only try to lose them.

Thing is, early game was really easy (got 2/3 medals for no losses), but now I'm getting my shit kicked in.
I haven't played in a while so I don't remember much else, but I'm playing a paladin.

It's funny because I remember the first game being hilariously easy as a mage.
Maybe I should just play that again.

Are the elfus good in that Disciples 2 game?

Define good. Alignment, gameplay power? Cocksleeves?

The final.

But really, what's the game like?
Is it a turn-based game like HoMM or is it an RTS?

Good choice. Elves were shoa'd around the first game and you'll find them as mercs and neutral mooks throughout most of the second game. The sole exception is their expansion when they finally get a proper faction.

It's a rhythm based racing game.

Have you played age of wonders? It's a lot like that, but disciples two has a lot less functionality. Disciples two has a lot more polish though.

I tried it for a few hours.
It seems fun, but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head about some mechanics. I guess I'll read the manual.
Thanks.

I'd play it if I got to dick the elves after winning.

It's not gay if you are playing as a grill. :^)

Depending on your difficulty (and luck aka what units you can hire/artifacts you find) it can be hard to start with and requires a lot of going back and forth between areas finding the weaker stacks to level-up instead of clearing everything in the same island the first time you get there apart from the first island ofc.

My advice is to just stack on ranged units, atleast 3 stacks in your party and just cheese the enemies out and obv your class affects a lot.
The starting island archers and monks get shit pretty quickly but i remember occasionally getting some decent beholders and such, inquisitors too i think from the 2nd island, the one with the pirate theme that are decent enough.
Though overall at the start, atleast after you get out of the 1st island unless you rea REALLY lucky you have to prepare to lose troops every battle because most you can hire are weaklings.

AP also gets piss easy and quite boring at some point if you play a mage as as long as you wait for the mana to regen between battles you can pretty much kill half the enemies with just throwing spells at them while the warrior requires you to manage your rage and actually deliberately find new encounters quickly so you dont waste the leftover rage if you got a lot of it.

I really like playing the paladin though, like in the 1st game since it's more of a mix of both warrior&mage your units actually play a larger role than your offensive spells or chest of rage/dragon but you after 10~ levels you are proficient enough to support your units well with order or distortion spells and overall +defense makes for hardier troops.
Too bad Paladin endgame easily becomes the same as with mages but instead of shooting fireballs you just resurrect your troops so you dont lose any.

Also on troops, on the "Rusty Anchor" Island, i think it's the 3rd island you usually unlock you can find a single recruitable "Green Dragon" that will really carry you out a lot in the early game.

I think I vaguely recall that green dragon, so I might as well get him.
That, and higher tier troops. I'm pretty sure I still have a big stack of priests because of the "holy warrior" medals that give them damage, but that's probably not worth it in the end due to their low HP.
Also, I figured mage would be too easy, so I wanted to avoid playing the same thing twice.

I'll try it again at some point in the future, thanks.

Average. Require to much XP for end game units.

Who in your opinion is the most powerful faction? I find the empire is super powerful provided they can get large numbers of protection buffs, and potions. At 90 armor just one prophetess can make a team almost unbeatable. The undead are the most easily abused with weapon immunity, and paralyze. The mountain clans are easiest in the beginning with their units have more HP on average, but may have to choose between having good area of affect magic damage, and good single target damage. The elves can go suck a dick, but have powerful early magic spells to lower initiative of enemies, and raise their own. The legions don't have all that much, but certain units like the doppelganger while a huge investment at the expense of magic damage can really fuck people up who use things like wraiths. The legions also have really good end game large units like onyx gargoyles, and tiamaths.

Undead. Best versatility, best mages and sub-mages with weapon immunity, paralyse disablers, undead dragons deal x6 damage on early levels while demonic Timat and Thing only on 3-4 tier unit.

Sometimes things go on for too long. That's why my country legalised euthanasia.