Tfw you play a game 20 years later and it still holds up

Tfw you play a game 20 years later and it still holds up

Whats her name and why do you still love her user?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Gjerde
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why?

Majesty. It came out in 2000 and it still holds up today. There's really nothing quite like it on the market, I just wish the game allowed you to form parties of heroes so your fucking wizards and healers didn't wander on their own and get killed by a fucking rat.

every few months i pick it up, but i still can't do the entire thing in one life as natsume intended

Except it shaped all 2D castlevanias from then on? Sure, the system was different and the inverted castle wasn't done again but come on.

Don't give up, i believe in you.

Because i was a poorfag handed a JP saturn by my uncle who did dodgy import deals in the mid 1990's

Pic related

Why not?

Congrats, you played the superior version

Never played saturn version to be honest.
Does it at least run at 60 fps like play station one?

No.

Sure thing

No
It has more content though
Its a shame, we really need an autistic romhacker to do some magic

See?
This is why threads get derailed

Yeah, the half-assed area and Maria that plays like a shitty MUGEN character really make it the definitive version. Technical shortcomings be damned.

Yeah I'm aware of this content.
It's made by 3rd party and isn't worth shit.

He wasn't talking about Castlevania, he meant the game Majesty

Even Maria?

My nigger, that's what I came here to post. Epitome of the RTS genre

Did you know that apparently Richter in SoTN is voiced by the same guy who did Chris in Resident Evil?

Between her shoddy spritework and combat style that doesn't make sense yeah.

Who voices Barry?
I want to mail him a sandwich

Shame

Link to the Past.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Gjerde
I can't fucking believe his real name is Barry.

Amazing
I really miss old Capcom

One of those rare games that forces you to develop your skills and timing in order to have fun. My highest ever score was in the 40,000s. The map layout on arcade is perfect aside from the stretch between the bus station and the mall.

Play the PSP version. It's an unlockable in the Rondo of Blood HD remake thingy, I tihnk.

They ruined the voice acting.

I know there is a fanpatch for that though

There is an official patch for that too I believe.

Despite the newfaggotry and revisionism about this game, it still fucking holds up.

This. The original is better in ALMOST every respect, but one thing that the PSP remake does get right is putting Maria in - and unlike the Saturn version, giving her a playstyle that makes sense. Basically a slightly tweaked version of how she played in Rondo.

You know what holds up the most?
The fucking soundtrack
I miss Ska Punk

Yoshi's Island is still really fucking good.

i played it for the first time last year and found it utterly mediocre.

Pretty sure that everything or most things the 3rd party included in the Saturn port was planned for the original release if Konami didn't rush it. There's evidence of unfinished areas in the PS1 version and unused clips too, so some of the content was going to be included first, and I'm willing to bet both the new areas were supposed to be included and the third hand is a pretty neat idea. Maybe Maria's fighting style doesn't make a lot of sense, but that may be because she fucking grew up and she can still summon the animals with a pretty cool combo system.

I've played the shit out of the GC and PC version, and even though I played the Dreamcast version long time ago, I can't notice much difference, maybe because of the hype. What is different exactly? If something, I can say I felt the homing attack kinda off. Is Dreamcast emulation even good?

Also, the saturn being shit compared to the PS1 didn't help the SOTN port.

Great when I was 9, great now at 29

(heiled)
This, Duke3D, Blood, Diablo 2, C&C.

The Saturn should have been very capable of handling a mostly 2D game like SoTN. It mostly comes to to just being a lazy port.

the age of LAN's and awesome open source projects are over. Everyone want to become a indie dev now, either to fuck zoe or to suck a journos dick for the shekel. 2006/07 killed the internet communities who build all the awesome shit that even use nowadays.

I replay sotn every year. Has there ever been a fan patch that adds the two areas to the psp or ps1 version? Never played them but the Saturn version is ass so I don't want to play it.

After patreon, you see more hacks like that.

No.

Did the Maria content show up in the SotN port of that PSP game, The Dracula X Chronicles? I can't seem to remember. All I know is that the fairy song makes the PSP SotN the definitive version.

Did the PSP version rework the English translation?

Yes, which makes it the shit version.

But the PS1 translation was dodgy as shit.

I don't think you know how to properly appreiate SoTN, user.

Not as cheesy as the original, apparently.

GOG version needs a little work, but it's still damn impressive that it holds up. I was expecting massive disappointment when I installed it this past weekend.

Because it's the same game, but with more content?

I still play this with a friend at least once a year despite them having no interest in sonic games in general.

That's funny, every time I replay Symphony of the Night I am reminded that it's a bad game today and it was a bad game on release.

I only played (and loved) the N64 version back when it came out. I'm assuming the PC version is better in pretty much every respect?
It didn't bother younger me at all somehow, but I seem to remember the game running at about 12 FPS with a half second of input lag.

I loved the upside-down castle. It was really mysterious to discover the first time around, and while it's mostly just "the same shit all over again but upside down", it plays differently because it's all open to you from the start.
Basically, it plays like a NG+ Rush Mode, with enemy power increased, and it's got a lot of new boss fights and some insane gear like the crissaegrim.
I've played other other ARPG style Castlevania games, and SotN is really the best out of the lot of them.
The best entry in the genre is still Super Metroid, though.

(heil'd)
(checked)

I've never played it. Is it worth buying for 10bux in CY+2?

Looks pretty good.

If you don't get bothered by obvious hollywood-tier gun over-exaggerations and you simply want to have illegal amounts of crazy fun and turn peaceful areas into war-torn shitholes with just a single magazine then Black is absolutely fucking worth it.
Xbox version is the superior. Slightly better visuals and performance. The game is also perfectly playable on PCSX2 but it needs a bit more settings twaking compared to other emulated vidya.
For example there is a glitch that doesn't render the skybox when you start the game in Hardware Mode. Obviously solution is to start the game in software mode and once the mission loads, you switch to Hardware. You will also experience a few graphic bugs in hardware mode such as hand clipping or the bolt of the rifles not loading. However if your PC is high-end then you should have no problem running it on Software Mode with little to no framedrops.

You've never played Blood user? I highly suggest you jump all over that ASAP. It's extremely fun and holds up great after all these years. The protagonist Caleb has some of the best one-liners in any FPS ever, the atmosphere is top notch, the weapons and gunplay is over the top and leaves you with a stupid grin on your face, and the enemies are well thought out and memorable. Definitely one of my favorite shooters of all time.

I'm just gonna pick up the Xbox version. Thanks user. I know what I'll be doing this evening.

Stop sucking IGA's cock. Saturn Maria has the funnest gameplay of any version of Maria.

the original PC version, as far as I know, is relatively unplayable. The GOG version has a lot of weird timing issues that cause the player to slide around more than they should, but the snappiness of the controls and the frame rate when you're on relatively flat terrain is great. The biggest downside, that can be remedied by playing keyboard only, is that the mouse is treated like a joystick and is pretty much unusable. If you already have a USB joystick, the experience may be quite good.

What does that have to do with Iga? As fun as she was, she was unbalanced as fuck.

Way to derail your own thread, otherwise yes. sotn holds up nicely.

Yes

No

No

Yes

(you) are a retard

That game is fucking shit and felt outdated on release.
I can understand how waifufags jerk all over OOT, but it escapes me what draws retards to COTM.

Easy
It's simply retarded. Nathan controls are terrible, everything is restrictive, and it's a shit mesh between Classicvania and Metroidvania.

aaaaw, I missed it

Nostalgia factor. Game's good, but definitely not great. The gameplay just gets too slow at times.

Anyways, games that hold up 20 years later (give or take):

Still my favorite fucking game of all time.

Fuck this game is so good.

Patrician fucking choices, bros.

I'd say Earthbound, FF6, and Seiken Densetsu 3 belong in that lineup as well.

I only really played the handheld ones so it probably doesn't stack up at all compared to SOTN, but I always liked COTM just because of the combination of how dark it is compared to the other handhelds and the awkward design decisions like the card system. Some of the enemies where weird and interesting to like the brain floats that where just brains that floated around.

After AoS they decided to pander more towards weebs, throwing out the painting artstyle to go full anime and it's the most present in OOT which just felt hollow and was boring as fuck to play.

Nigger, that's when they dropped the whole anime stuff. And even with the weeb style, PoR is solid, but it could have been way better.

Does anyone else have a fetish for small texture but sharp polys?

Always been partial to this one myself.

Playing Black now. Thanks again for the recommendation user. Definitely feels good man.

It always felt like an anime in game form to me, even more so than portrait of ruin. I think its the combination of the waifu bait main character + being very story heavy in comparison to the others, with frequent visits to town. It's been ages since I played it though.

Oh come on you faggot 1997 wasn't… oh fuck oh god

I don't really get why people say that about Shanoa. Sure, there's the absorbing glyphs gimmicks, but other than that she is fairly normal before losing her memories and when she does she has an nonexistent personality. So why is she waifu bait exactly?
The game tried to emulate Simon's Quest, user. It's as story heavy as the other games. You have to save the town people, but you don't need to interact with them or do the side-quests. The story is pretty straight forward too.

I know how that feels.

It's still one of the best space dogfighters out there. Freespace 2 has a good deal more polish, though.

Her name is Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

She taught me what it was like to love and be loved in return.

It's worse than that really. They drop the Metroid-style ability progression entirely and it just becomes a tedious exercise in [piss-easy uninspiring] boss hunting.

What are your thoughts on the bosses? Always thought they were really shitty and poorly designed, especially this motherfucker.

So anyone know who designed Saturn SOTN Maria's combat? read some rumors that Konami pulled some people from another project that was making a 2D beat-em up game for the Saturn port, but never found anything else.

Starcraft as long as you're not playing with koreans

At that point you are expected to have enough level, items and abilities to just waltz though it with all you have. I won't defend it entirely because I think it's a good idea badly executed particularly the music compared to the first castle and the ambient but at the very least the exploration is justified because you explored it already, just that this time is upside down.
If it was better designed, maybe it would have been godly, but there's proof everywhere that the game was rushed, and that affected both extra areas, extra content and the upside down castle.

Everything is better without koreans. Making a living playing video games is cancer, and by extension they are cancer too.

If you are referring to a childhood game it is DKC. IF you mean literally 20 years then Freddi Fish. Still playable, and everything you click on has a cute animation. Such dedication is missing in the industry.

popped this in earlier this year, still a superb experience, great sound, isometrics hold up, solid challenge, pleasantly surprised.

chaos theory is close enough right?

i just replayed that last year for the first time in ages and was shocked at how well it holds up. still looks good, sounds good, and the writing is surprisingly smart

Yaridovich always causes me problems

Yeah, Humongous Entertainment really did do a great job. Sure, the plots are gay as hell and meant for 3 year olds, but even I can appreciate the details and effort they put into each game. My little brother played the shit out of those things.

Gotta disagree. This game is broken on a fundamental level where especially the later stages devolve into rote trial-and-error until you learn the layouts.

If you haven't learned anything about games in the last 20 years to realise the level design in that game is a bit shit especially later one, then you might be a bit of a rube. The soundtrack is still extremely good though.

*later on

Drops to 30FPS from 60 frequently, scales up poorly, looks poor and is missing proper effects

Her name is Incubation and I still play because it has my waifu in it.

I don't mind the bosses so much. The only one that legitimately bothered me is the Host just being Mutoid Man 2.0.

Mega Man X3. probably for the nostalgia, but i feel happy af playing it.

And anything by Humongous, really

I recently played and 100%ed Crash Bandicoot and Cortex Strikes Back for the first time, I thought they held up really well. Haven't played Warped or Team Racing yet.

I'm currently playing both Bugs Bunny Lost in Time and Pepsiman and they both hold pretty fucking nice.

Warped hold a lot less than the other since is too gimmicky.

Half Life 2 is a bad game and was a bad game on release, nigger.

Yes? Good insight.

shit taste tbh

Not 20 yet, but 17 and still kicks ass. Especially with the mods to make it look more modern.

I agree. The soundtrack is killer. Owned this growing up, and I still think it's the best 3D Sonic, even if it falls flat compared to any 2D title.

Even if you don't go fast, it's basically a platformer with fun level design but the twist is you can curl into a ball and attack enemies as long as you're jumping or rolling. Speed allows you to experiment in ball mode and it still feels good. I keep hearing the overrated argument by people that don't know what level design is or are blatant SNES fanboys.

A BOMB

as always Satan, you are correct, but still a stupid dickhead

nobody plays that piece of shit game anymore, I used to do an annual replay of the half life series in preparation for half life 3, what a fucking joke my life has become

that being said I can still stand to replay half life 1 every now and then, while half life 2 I cant even touch, thats how shit it is

The game is fun as fuck.
small brawl is the best twisted metal

Still my favorite fighting game series.

Crash Bandicoot 1 holds up well? I replayed it recently, got to Sunset Vista and was just too frustrated to continue. You can replay any level to access its bonus stage so you can save, right?

Both 3 and World hold up for me in their own ways. Overall, I'd say World holds up better.