Classic RE Thread

Let's take a minute to forget about the atrocious shit from 4 onwards (excluding maybe REv2) and let's ask a question that has been on my mind for years.
What the fuck was Leon's issue here? Why did he have a massive sperg out at Claire in the Epilogue File? Was it because he wanted Sherry for himself? Was SD Perry right in that Leon had no clue what he was doing with his life when it came to women?

Other urls found in this thread:

projectumbrella.net
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't understand why code veronica gets so much praise. It lacks the atmosphere and the characters like fucking Steve make it feel like a bad anime. Maybe it's because it came out on the shillcast.

I've never seen Code Veronica get much praise outside of people liking it because it was their first game.
It's not that bad of a game though, just not as good as the original trilogy

Meets Claire "let's split up"
Meets ada "don't go on your own, it's my job to protect you"

Yellow fever.

Canon Leon is forever tied into Ada, and he will ignore every other female in favor of a shitty Asian chick who hasn't told him her actual name in nearly 20 years.

Hunnigan > Sheva > (young) Sherry > Ada >>>> Rebecca > Claire > (old) Sherry > Moira >>>> Jill = Ashley

At least you got Sherry right

How come RE1 is pretty much the only survival horror that gets it all right? I'm always impressed how to this day people still finding different routes to do things and how the general level design still shines in the darkness off todays vidya landscape. Who was the designer of it and why isn't he working on modern projects?

Does anyone actually get scared by RE? I have tried remake a few times and the only scary part is the part with lisa trevor but that is more tragic than anything.

The designers were
Went on to make a few good action games and some shit ones as of late
Used to make games, but focuses on action games
Some sites list him as designer, while others list him as general producer. But, that doesn't matter as he only worked on 4 games after RE1, those being Tomba! 1 and 2, Extermination and Hungry Ghosts, the last one being made in 2003. So, he's either dead or retired.

Tank controls are what made RE scary and faggots ruined that with their tears. They're like dreams where you try to outrun a pursuing killer but you're running in slow motion. Zombies, even in numbers, weren't often scary. It was when you got to the later creatures (hunters, lickers) that it got tense and scary, provided you didn't know their behavior. To really get the shit scared out of you you needed to be the poorfag without a memory card.

I can't abide this

Alice?
So mysterious, Capcom forgot what they were and now she just shows up in the games Leon shows up in, as she has literally no character.
To clean up her fuckups (Carla, virus sample collecting)
When I think of Claire, I don't think of emotional.That's more Moira or Steve.
What? Ada does that with Leon and Chris does that with 'muh comrades', Claire has never done something like that
That also accurately describes Leon

I thought her name was actually Ada?
At the very least Ada's name is a password in the original RE's basement facility, suggesting she's tied to the corporation pre RE2 somehow.

I threw the controller in the air and left running when I first heard/saw the regenerator in RE4 back then. That's about it.

that's her agent name.

she is basically honeypotting the researcher guy in 1 to get info for the virus.

I hate kids

Kill me, I don't want to live alongside zero digits IQs like this

But user I really like RE4. I think the control scheme is great in that it retains a lot of the tension created by tank controls even while allowing players to defend themselves with firearms. A big enough tide of shambling ganado can quickly drown the player if ammo, items and the crowd itself are not purposelessly managed.

I also like Resident Evil 5 (with RE4 controls), most complaints regarding 5 can green herb'd by cranking up the difficulty. It is the exact same gameplay loop as RE4 just with somewhat less enjoyable levels.

I even like RE6 although I haven't beat it and I feel I really shouldn't. But Leon's campaign is the closest thing to Raccoon City with RE4 gameplay. RE7 is kind of fun too and is the first RE game since 1 and 2 to have me wandering an immersive environment full of locked doors and wondering what I'll find on the other side.

Where does Code Veronica get "much praise"? I don't think it got praise even when it came out to DC, except for the graphics.

And that's a problem why? Personally I was always looking forward to the next cutscene just to see how fucking hilariously ridiculous it would be.

You damn troglodyte. Unsophisticated philistine. Intellectually dishonest shithead.

Why can't Capcom into grammar?

It's meant to be a dramatic pause.

That's not what commas are used for. They should have used ellipses.

eclipses in the middle of the sentence look ridiculous

Not as ridiculous as using a comma to denote a grammatically irrelevant pause.

That's a Shakespearean comma, it's valid.

I want Shakespeare out of my Resident Evil.

The dialogue of every RE game is nearly Shakespearean in its gravitas and delivery. Embrace it, user.

Why can't Capcom into music?

YAMERO

What are you talking about?
It has an ok atmosphere, specially in the island prison you start in.

Claire isnt a lesbian, Did you forget she has a boyfriend?
She also obviusly wanted steve's D by the end of code veronica.

It basically started the genre and in doing so took elements from other genres that later games streamlined in order to achieve mass appeal. In RE1's case the genre it stole from was adventure games to make its house of puzzles. It's similar to how DOOM stole its level design from D&D dungeon designs and later games streamlined FPS into shitty corridor shooters.

The part in Resident Evil 2 where you're going through the hallway of boarded up windows and the arms reach through to grab you. Altenatively the regenerators from RE4.

fify

Where the heck is REmake2?

funny topic
I was about to play RE the original remake with a girl
we going to be spending time together, she wanted RE4, but I remember a bit of the first one and how is much more atmospheric horror than the later titles
she also has an xbox 360 which is why I suggested the remake, since it has much improved graphics still near identical gameplay

suggestions? I'm getting the iso and burning it to dvd, though I'm not sure if the xbox has any lock or drm of some kind

isn't the Evil Within from one of those earlier game designers?
and to be fair, it actually resembles it quite a lot

Resident Evil 1 started off as a spiritual successor to Sweet Home (the parts in the game where you're accompanied by other characters come from that initial phase), but then Mikami discovered Alone in the Dark (an earlier survival horror title), from which he took a lot of elements, most notably the fixed camera angles and tank controls. So he didn't really steal from adventure games, but rather from a haunted house game and another successfulm survival horror title (at the time).

You cannot go wrong with REmake, user. If you remember only parts of RE1, then REmake will be a pleasant upgrade. However, if you want more action and gunplay in the game (together with the girl), RE4 may be a better choice. And as a suggestion: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is RE4-ish and has split screen co-op play if you want it.

Mikami produced Resident Evil 1/REmake and The Evil Within 1. Dude's pretty good at his craft.

Shinji Mikami. Evil Within 1 also ends with a rocket launcher, like almost every Resident Evil.

I was scared when I was a teenager playing RE2 on the playstation. The presentation was amazing compared to what we had back in the day and soundtrack really helped the whole experience. The zombies weren't scary, but the unknown, what was about to come, the expectation was scary. Never knowing when Mr. X would show up again raised the tension a lot.

The presentation was praised a lot back in the day, facial animations and mouths actually moving when characters spoke were impressive. Steve was a product of his time, he's DiCaprio with an edgy teenager personality, but I think he completed his purpose as a support character.
In retrospect, though. Code Veronica touched taboo subjects like incest, transsexualism and maybe dementia, both the villain and the hero have a brother, Clarie/Chris and Alexia/Alfred a not so subtle juxtaposition.
Gameplay wise it was standard Resident Evil and that's good IMO, it was just too hard to evade zombies. If I could change something, that would be the door transitions, it takes too damn long, and you to go back and forth a lot if you don't know in advance what items you need.

didn't actually play it through since I didn't own a PS at the time
but the setting is much to be shared with a female, since it spoopy and she will probably hold onto me in the scares
I need help though, I can't for the life of me find a working link, and others are jtag/rgh which I'm not sure are the correct unlock

He was fucking absolute unredeemable garbage.

Isn't evil within suppose to be shit? I remember it getting shat on a lot when it came out.

TEW1 was alright. Not RE4-tier classic but better at it than any of the other clones.

ok people I'm running out of options so I'm gonna ask you even though its not directly related to emulation (I asked in the other general first)
I want to get Resident Evil remaster for X360, I can't for the life of me find a version that isn't JATG/RGH
I"m a pretty fucking noob on newer consoles so I have no idea what I'm doing, the person who owns it says its an unlocked xbox 360, but doesn't know how
what am I supposed to do with RGH files I have downloaded, just burn them on dvd?
or does it required an actual iso file to burn, in which case where can I find it?

Just emulate it on a Wii

actually I could get the gamecube version for emulation, but would rather get the windows release if I'm playing on the PC anyway,
but this was for another reason

Just buy it man. It's $20 at most and usually $10 on a sale. And for $30, you can get 0 with it

the first evil within was pretty badly received, but I blame it on false people expectations of the game,
it really did resemble a lot early RE titles, featuring tank controls, stress induced action pieces and scarce resource management
it was pretty hard and pretty damn long, which I think didn't help with most casuals people, who didn't stick with it

pretty there are some pretty damn unique points to the game, for one the story is pretty damn good, and not blown over your face, so you have to look about and still there is a lot of mystery to it, some stuff only got covered over the dlc and now the second game
second thing, level design is actually pretty good, the game only gives you enough resource to get by but not too much to get comfortable, so you're always in some level of stress (with + tank controls), aka silent hill/resident evil style
also on the design side of things, everything plays out in a sort virtual psychic realm, that has no bounds as reality, so they make use of some pretty good level morphing that really plays with your head
likewise, a lot of enemies and bosses come from deep within the characters psych, aka silent hill again, not so scary in terms but indeed pretty horrific aborrations

lolwut

It was all a dream and literally none of the characters acts rationally or in keeping with the goals/abilities.

Rest of the game was good but the actual plot felt like something that was patched in at the last minute. The reality-shifting stuff is just a plot device to abruptly transition you like RE4 did between chapters.

The game doesn't have these.

didn't you even get what the story is about?

3 seconds run, slow ass walking
shit cover and stealth, bitch ass good for nothing melee
and otherwise having to upgrade everything to make it somewhat useful

It's about Ruvik trying to get the kid and mind meld with him, in a world where he has magic powers to alter the environment at will and could effortlessly do so at any point. Kidman wants to kill the kid to prevent this and despite being with the kid alone for huge portions of the game doesn't do so and instead waits for Sebastion to be around in order to convince him to go along with it (despite the fact that she's not-Ada working for not-Umbrella and doesn't give a shit about them). Ruvik has no reason not to kill everyone but the kid immediately or at least just world-transfer them to a cell somewhere where they can't interfere, but doesn't do this because video game reasons. The whole game starts in Ruvik's mind and ends in Ruvik's mind, the kid and everything else didn't actually happen but also did because it's a clusterfuck that is inconsistent.

These aren't tank controls. Tank controls are when you can't strafe, you can only turn and go forward-back. Like how a tank move.

Also the stealth was OP and basic weapons were OP as fuck, you suck pretty hard if you can't stealth through half the shit in the game. The game is actually excellent at letting you trick the AI into traps, very useful on Akuma.

That ruins the whole horror of the game you fucking faggot.

the STEM is basicaly the Matrix meld with brain cells, a virtual environment, only the virtual is not done by programming but dreams or nightmares
one person with proper capabilities needs to be at the center of it to be able to connect everyone else, in this case it is possibly Ruvik, and at some point he describes being taken away layer by layer, until only a brain is left and that is why he needs Leslie to get out, Leslie supposedly being one of the tests subjects at the insane hospital

Ruvik gets control is able to navigate the dream world and everything, but he doesn't have full control, a lot of the times the monsters are figments of their own nightmares and not something that Ruvik controls
it is described that over time patients will see each others dreams, so over time their safe places and nightmare ones begin to merge, like thing with the nurse getting run-down, and also on the dlc it that old and church are actually from Kidman's past
that is another point, everything you see plays out in the perspective of the detective, and it seems only Kidman was in with mobious, Sebastian and Joseph not really aware of what is going on (another similarity with Silent Hill)
which suggest that either they were already plugged in STEM somehow, maybe in another cell, or even perhaps that Sebastian was already a patient in the mental hospital (with the brain shocks and everything)

that's another positive point for the game too, it rewards the player a lot for using the environment instead of wasting resources, that is, if you're not flaying around in despair

RESIDENT EVIL FAG I SUMMON YOU

I'd like your interpretation of the latest resi gayme fit into your explained timeline

Yes yes, I get all of the ideas behind the game. The problem is that the plot isn't coherent, there are holes left by the bad writing.

Ruvik clearly has direct control of way more than enough to kill the player at any time and chooses not to despite supposedly being a super edgy asshole who enjoys killing people. In other RE games the antagonists are generally assholes who enjoy toying with people, tricking the player into doing something they can't do themselves, or busy doing something else and trying to escape the player, and so on. They only become the final boss when they decide the player has been enough a thorn in their side that they have to inject themselves with w/e and take them out. This is part of having a coherent antagonist that acts according to motivations and unfolding events. Instead Ruvik just… doesn't end the game until the final level where he decides to take Leslie. 90% of the game is filler and there's no explanation why it exists.

The ending fucks up by taking the player out of dream world and then revealing they still are in dream world, so the whole game was in some multi-layered dream world thing and even though you thought you somehow accomplished something you actually accomplished nothing because all you accomplished was in a double dream world and only affected the first layer of dream world which is not the real world. Ruvik is still just stuck in a pod or w/e somewhere and didn't actually escape or accomplish anything. Obvious stupid plot hook for the 2nd game but instead TEW2 ignores TEW1's events almost entirely, apparently seabastion was let out of the final dream world and Ruvik is dead or still trapped or something.

That sounds interesting. Do you have a screencap of that?

At least that game has a dodge button. Arranged mode in RE1DC was absolute hell if you were in a room with 3 hunters. Shoot, even just two of them could take turns quick swiping you and you wouldn't even be able to raise your gun in time or run forward quick enough to stop em.

it seems I don't have it saved

Can you try your hardest to re-explain it?

the guy explains every game in due order more or less in the best way possible

Ruvik does have limited control of the environment but he obviously cannot just kill people because he would have done so immediately. A major point in the game is that if you have a strong ego/will then you can affect STEM and stay sane. All that points to is that Sebastian had simply way more willpower than Ruvik and was not spooked enough to be killed. Joseph however had a weaker ego and got affected by the madness of Ruvik.

Are you blind? The ending practically spells out that Ruvik got into Leslie and walked out of the hospital.

Remember when main characters in RE had balls?
The only downside were the beta males surrounding these characters

This reads like the virgin vs chad meme

Ruvik is "*teleports behind you* you're already dead kiddo" levels of stupidly power (also the same level of edge). He teleports at will and touching him kills you. And limited control of the environment? He randomly teleports you places and literally creates Brutal DOOM levels for you to fight in. There's no plausible reason he can't kill the player at will and no given motivation not to. It'd be different if the story had some real motivation for him, like he's mortally afraid of fire and needs the player to go to something somewhere he can't bear to go, but none is given.

You have the headaches that come from Ruvik doing matrix stuff with the machine, the hospital is littered with the bodies of people Ruvik killed, there's no plausible explanation for a mental patient getting past the SWAT blockade. You're still in the machine. The only part of the game you can plausibly be in the real world is the 5s where Kidman is staring down at you in a tub and then you pass out again.

Every RE character is a virgin except for Ada, who is a used up whore

Boy, that vag has been globally saturated.

But Barry has a kid

I keep forgetting about Barry despite really liking him. Maybe it's because he's only appeared in half of RE1, an alternate ending and epilogue file in 3, a non-canon GBC game, RE5 and 3DS Mercs and REv2

don't forget resident evil revelations /2

here is the point and you passed miles away from it
ruvik doesn't have make all the doom environments, every created in stem is part of its own people subconscious, in the second one it is explained pretty clearly that the core is the needed part to keep it all together and peoples nightmares start breaking the world apart (world morphing),
not only that but they also explained that people who are actual psychopaths can somehow see through theirs nightmares and thrive in it
by the end of the first game, ruvik doesn't decide to kill the protagonist, but instead he is loosing his shit, with his true self becoming more apparent (being only a brain), but instead Sebastian keeps through with it, suggesting he is possibly the even the worse psychopath, there is much to his story that only came in pieces and nothing is very who he ended up there,
a lot of things in the game a fucking eerie, like the fact that no one ever stopped to show surprise at the monstrosities they have been facing, like in Silent Hill where you would sometimes find someone else in the midst of the insanity but they would just behave like nothing was happening
with the dlc it is pretty clear that what each person connected is experience is completely different, even what each monsters follows them is different, Sebastian had the safe head, Kidman the leggy lady with highlights

Whether Ruvik directly creates the environments or the environments pre-exist and he simply teleports you between them is basically irrelevant. He's essentially all-powerful inside the dream world and has no motive for letting the player live.

Reminder that Gaiden is canon
THE FAILURE TO CANONIZE RESIDENT EVIL GAIDEN
By Welsh
projectumbrella.net
Forward
“Gaiden“. The word has multiple, but similar meanings which include supplementary biography, addendum, follow-up, or anecdote.
Here, Project Umbrella, we do not consider Resident Evil Gaiden canon. According to The Little Oxford Dictionary, canon is a “general law, rule, or principal”. We have established a canon in order to create an overall timeline to correct the discrepancies that appear throughout the series.
I would identity two of the major discrepancies as erroneous names and dates as a result of incorrect translations and inconsistent events, such as characters appearing in different locations simultaneously, due to ignorance of previous works by the development staff.
Gaiden is no exception. In fact, it is probably the most difficult game to place even if by chance Capcom indicated it is indeed canon. There are no dates, no files related to previous games and an ending left unresolved. Gaiden has never been mentioned in an official guide book, except for resident evil archives which is more of a compilation of the first four numbered games and CODE: Veronica.
Biohazard Gaiden was released on March 29, 2002 for Nintendo Game Boy Color system. It was developed by M4 and Virgin Interactive in Europe. As of today, all Biohazard game has been developed in Japan and shipped overseas for distribution with the Americanized title of “Resident Evil“. This does not necessarily mean it is not canon. In fact, the scenario was written by Hiroki Kato who directed CODE: Veronica and Shinji Mikami was an advisor, with additional special thanks to Shinsaku Ohara, Tetsuro Oyama and Ken Tanaka.
Hiroki Kato is credited for “Scenario and Planning”. Some of his previous works include Biohazard 1996 (System Plan/Camera Works), Director's Cut (System Plan), CODE: Veronica (Director) and Wesker’s Report (Scenario).
Shinji Mikami is regarded as the creator of the series. He no longer works for Capcom.
Shinsaku Ohara’s previous works include Dino Crisis 2 (Planner), Code: Veronica X (Translation), Devil May Cry (Script Translation and Voice Over), Biohazard 0 (FMV and Localization Advisor), Biohazard remake (Script Translation), Dino Crisis 3 (Voice Over and ADR Coordinator), and Biohazard 4 (Script Translation and Voice Over Coordination).
Tetsuro Oyama previous works include Biohazard 3:LE (Music Title), Dino Crisis 2 (Special Thanks) and 3 (Co-Director).
I have no information for Ken Tanaka.
Besides Tanaka, four people have worked on Biohazard games, with Mikami and Kato since at least 1995 when the original game was in development.
In the Biohazard CODE: Veronica Complete Dissolution guide book published on April 14, 2001, Hiroki Kato answered the following question in the ‘development staff Q&A’ (p. 287).
Q6: What was Leon doing when Claire sent the e-mail?
A6: Leon is part of an underground organization set up for Anti-Umbrella. While this story was progressing, he could not come to rescue Claire because he was on a mission. (This scenario is completed, but I cannot announce it.) Three people, Leon, Barry and Jill are currently part of an underground organization. However, it remains to be uncertain whether Barry and Leon’s organization and Jill’s organization are the same.
CODE: Veronica X was released on March 22, 2001. Two months later, Virgin Interactive UK announced Resident Evil Gaiden on May 22, 2001. It was eventually released on March 29, 2002. The first trailer of biohazard 4 (Noboru Sugimura is credited for the scenario) where Leon becomes infected was shown at the 2002 Tokyo Game Show in September. Therefore, Kato must be referring to Gaiden.
The interview seems to indicate that Gaiden and CODE: Veronica occur simultaneously.
Wesker’s Report, written by Kato, states, “…Leon joined forces with an underground anti-Umbrella organization.”
I have translated the text to read, “… Leon joined an underground organization set up for anti-Umbrella.”
In Resident Evil 4, we discover that Leon S. Kennedy is a U.S. government agent. Chikasoshiki  means “underground organization“, but it is not literal (nothing is in Japanese except for loan words and there are still exceptions). In this case, chikasoshiki refers to a secret/undercover group, which could be the U.S. government.
Leon’s character profile in Resident Evil Archives (pg.220) reads, “After escaping from Raccoon City, Leon saw Claire off on her continuing search for her older brother, Chris. He asked the US. Army, now deployed outside town, to protect Sherry. After contacting an intelligence officer working for the U.S. government, he began to investigate Umbrella by himself. Then, when he learned that Claire was in danger on Rockfort Island, he relayed that information to her older brother, Chris.”
(Cont)

Archives was translated by Zpang America, Inc. It is one of the erroneous translations of canonical information, which I’ve deemed in the above as a major discrepancy.
It seems Leon contacted a government agent, but is not an agent himself. In Biohazard Gun Survivor, Leon asks his friend, a detective, Ark Thompson to investigate Sheena Island.
In addition, the Anti-Umbrella Group is mentioned in the CODE: Veronica interrelationship chart in Archives (p.72) with Chris, Barry and Jill as co-workers. Therefore, Chris, Jill, Barry and Leon’s organization must be the same as alluded to in the interview. In Resident Evil 5, Chris had access to Leon’s report on the events of Resident Evil 4, further strengthening the notion.
However, the ‘Inside of Biohazard: The Darkside Chronicles’ guide book states Operation Javier is the first time Leon has encountered zombies since Raccoon City. On the other hand, Darkside Chronicles and Umbrella Chronicles alike contain major discrepancies that overwrite the numbered games, which are generally considered the most canon.
However, when Shinji Mikami took over as director of Resident Evil 4, he restarted development and wrote a new scenario. In his new scenario, Leon never joined an underground anti-Umbrella group, but instead the U.S. government as a secret agent.
Based on that fact, I do not consider Gaiden canon. However, if you disagree, I would like to point out the following:
- The special forces onboard the submarine belong to Umbrella Special Forces.
- The Amoeba-B.O.W. is a T-103 implanted with a parasite. Unlike Nemesis, it has the ability to disguise itself.
- There are submarines in both Gaiden and CODE: Veronica, which occur simultaneously.
- The radio man seems to be a prototype of Ingrid Hunnigan, who appears in Resident Evil 4, which is a contradiction in itself.
And below is a translation of the story from the Japanese instruction booklet:
“ANOTHER BIOHAZARD
To defeat the evil of the international enterprise Umbrella Pharmaceutical, former S.T.A.R.S. members and escapees of Umbrella gathered and formed an underground organization.
A new mission was scheduled to begin in the hideout of the underground organization.
A new type of B.O.W. escaped from an Umbrella laboratory and invaded the luxurious passenger liner, Starlight. Leon S. Kennedy infiltrated the Starlight for the erasure of this new B.O.W.
Periodic communications from Leon have been cut off.
The rescue of Leon S. Kennedy and erasure operation of this new B.O.W. need to be accomplished immediately.
The person in charge of this mission’s success is Barry Burton.
Infiltration Method:
Rope descent from the air by helicopter.
Extraction Method:
Helicopter sent in as soon as radio contact received.
Destination:
The luxurious passenger liner, Starlight, now sailing in the middle of the Atlantic.
The form of this new type of B.O.W. can completely imitate a human being, making it impossible to tell the difference. According to the intelligence, it seems to have the ability to inflict high casualties.
Good luck!”
End.