Quake 2

Everyone talks about Quake 1 and 3, but I never see anyone talk about 2. Is it not as good as the other ones? I've only played 1 and 3.

Other urls found in this thread:

simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Quake 2 is my favorite Quake, I prefer the Strogg setting, Quake 1's map design is too claustrophobic for me, and I am not big into arena shooters like Quake 3.

So it's more open? That sounds like a good way to keep levels from feeling samey compared the the first. I know I had that problem with Doom 2.

It's not bad but not great either. The guns aren't very good and the movement is very limited compared to the first game.

I like the setting and the music. The plot continues in Q4, which is also solid.

Wat

It is. You don't move as fast or jump as high.

Eh, I wouldn't know about that, but the difference does not seem that big.

Other than the soundtrack I find Quake 2 to be boring, especially in comparison to the first one. I heard the multiplayer was pretty good but I never got to experience it in its heyday.

Q2 CTF was pretty damn good.

I had fun with it

The mastering of the music is pure fucking shit. Real drums and guitars, but they sound so bad it may as well be midis. Better than Q1 and certainly better than "multiplayer only with zero real SP content before that was a trend" Q3.

Bit too much spongey enemies (and then the 1st expansion does even worse)
Going fast doesn't seem as natural as Q1 or DOOM 1/2
Flatter levels than Q1
Tries to be closer to DOOM than Q1 but doesn't have the enemy count or even encounter variety to pull it off so it ends up feeling like protoDOOM 3

Quake 2 has probably the worst campaign, the most generic artstyle and is probably the dullest Id software game. It just feels uninspired to play. Quake 4 by Raven was even better.

Gotta admit, I really dig Q4's marine armor design.

Q4 in general I felt aged the best out of the other Doom 3 engine games

Even better than Prey?

One of the enemies in Prey has the Fat Zombie face, environments are still pretty good.

Quake 2 was mostly a multiplayer game and created the pro gamer leagues as they are known today. Singleplayer took a backseat and you would have to dig in the mods to find any interesting ones.

For the simple reason Holla Forumsirgins were toddlers in the roaring days of Q2, when pc players busted their brains on rocket jumping. Their mamas had bought them a nintendo 64 for christmas.

Some are some aren't, but most critically the grenades fire satisfyingly but explode pathetically. The rocket launcher sucks too. It is made up for somewhat by the railgun and BFG10K though. The SSG is great too.

Also watch a speedrun it's not quite as broken as Quake but it ain't too shabby. It's a valid FPS game.

The movement physics are exactly the same, aside from the addition of crouching (and crouchjumping). You actually end up going faster in Q2 because there's a lot more open spaces where you can rocketjump and bunnyhop all over the place.

I just did another playthrough of Quake 2 and it's expansions (yes including the horrid Ground Zero) on nightmare mode in July after a 9 year hiatus.

I think the biggest problem Quake 2 had was the fact that it really didn't do anything spectacular nor interesting. And one of the main reasons is because without John Romero trying to invigorate ideas, you had John Carmack leading the team with just his vision of a new shinier engine. Strogg is basically the borg from Star Trek and every god damn level was just another industrial brown and grey. It's always hard to remember what the fuck each level was because the entire thing just felt like one giant brown blob.

Great music though by Sonic Mayhem.

Also keep in mind the game came out around 6 months prior to Unreal, which blew it away in graphical visuals. On top of the fact that Unreal sported a shit ton of original weaponry where as Quake II would use the same shit as Quake (minus Lightning Gun) and add a plasma gun and the BFG back. Railgun was a bit too…generic though.

OH and the enemies basically just encouraged strafing. Everything was hitscan so the various type of enemies with projectiles and movement patterns in Q1 were gone.

That's actually a good thing. Go ahead and play Quake 2's second expansion Ground Zero. Unit 2's 2nd level has around 144 enemies. It's a fucking horrendous nightmare on how it's all setup when played on Nightmare. It's absolutely awful. Spongey as all fuck especially the expansion's included enemies. Good god probably the worst fps expansion in the late 90's.

I enjoyed the original Quake, but it was uncharted territory. A bit of a diamond in the rough. Quake 2 felt more polished and had better game play. Quake 3 was a departure from the other two because it had no single player. It was also not as fun as Unreal Tournament 99.

a mechanic used properly in 3 and not 2. You're more vertical than in 3 (due to doublejump) but move more slowly in a straight line in "optimal" conditions. Stairs are the only issue with Q1 movement

this isn't even remotely true

Neat game but terrible campaign. Whoever decided it needed to be some cod-tier military shit at the start needs to be gassed.

Quake 4 came out weeks before CoD2. I highly doubt it was influenced by the original installment of CoD…

Are you ESL?
Are you new?

Personally I got bored of Quake 2 really, really quickly. The level design just bored me beyond belief, and the enemies weren't fun to fight. The weapons feeling weak didn't help matters either.

You_cant_make_this_shit_up

quake 2 is awful. All the levels look the same, they are all poorly designed, the weapons are castrated and enemies are absurd damage sponges. Too many hitscan enemies, awful enemy designs. Backtracking through empty levels every few minutes. It's a fucking joke of a game and rightfully deserves to be ignored.

It's illegal to browse this board if you're under 30, you know

it is a single player game, quake 3 is the multiplayer one you underage faggot. quakeworld is also better multiplayer.

100 damage railgun is worst railgun. If you're gonna make a shitscan weapon, at least make the damage relative to the amount of effort it takes to land a hit

dude i clicked you and you died lol its so hard with a mouse to do this this makes the game good

Quake 2 feels too generic, Q1's setting of Lovecraftian mixed with medieval and tech themes were interesting, while Q2 was just a generic mix of the Borg-like enemies in Darkseid's Apokolips setting.

The idea of making large units was interesting but poorly implemented, it badly needed the level of interactivity that a game like SiN had to make the objectives more interesting.

Well, Q2 multiplayer is dead and Q3A is the go-to MP Quake game nowadays, so it's pointless now.

Also, besides the railgun and BFG10K, the weapons in Quake 1 are more fun to use.

you can at least arrange qw matches pretty easily, nobody wants to touch quake 2. for good reason.

In terms of base game:
Quake 1 > Doom > Doom 2 > Quake 3 > Doom 64 > Quake 2 >>>>> Wolfenstien series

It was Quake 1 that had spongy enemies. I might be a bit forgiving to Quake 2 enemies though as they had hitstun.
Chaingun sounded like shit, so did the SMG.
The best part about Quake 2 was Action Quake 2. If YouTubbo videos of the mod are any indicator, skill players(tm) would just disable the view models and crank gamma to 11. What a bunch of retards

The worst part is that "railgun takes the most skill" has become an undying meme. People still defend 80 damage rail despite the fact that it has the worst mechanical design of any weapon in the series. Xonotic at least tried to add a charge-up, even if it didn't really work well at all. The true solution though is just to go the Q1 route and not have one at all

that is wrong.

Quake 2 was a lot of fun in MP with mods. I spent a lot of time with Lithium. Vanilla was shit for MP, though. The railgun felt way better in Q2 than Q3A, Q3A's always felt laggy. Not sure what the actual netcode difference was. The railgun was a mistake though and as people got good with it it ruined the VISCERAL COMBAT Q1 was known for and it played more like Q3A faggotry.

Quake 2 was ground breaking on technological front but gameplay wise it was made obsolete by later installments.

I didn't know you were gay. Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe I should just back out of this thread.

Didn't mean to quote the second guy again in my first reply there.

Quake 1 had better single player than Quake 2. Originally, Quake 2 was going to be a new IP, but the name id wanted as already taken, hence Quake 2. id knew it was going to be a big multiplayer game as was Quake 1, so that's why the multiplayer is good while the single player is lack luster. It also lacks the charm of Quake 1 even though it has a superior engine, AI, etc.

I really like it for some inexplicable reason. It has this comfy feel that makes me want to make my own game engine.

I've probably shilled this to the point everyone knows about it now but if you haven't played Arcane Dimensions for Q1 get on that shit quick: simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm

I thought it was pretty good. The interconnected level design was nice giving it a Metroid style feel, I prefer the objectives of this game to key hunting, I like enemies in FPS that can take lots of damage before going down so bullet sponge doesn't bother me, the chaingun is best chaingun in any game ever, lots of enemy variety that encourages constant weapon switching, weapons all feel and sound satisfying to use, soundtrack beats the hell out of Quake 1, it's much more fitting for this style of game.

I'm surprised you didn't bring up the ridiculous amounts of turrets everywhere in every stage. In one way it was good because it had me looking up and around everywhere, paranoid as hell, but it also slowed the game down way too much.

Oh so that explains all the weebs and nintendorks.

Quake 2 was amazing.

It released around the same time as Golden Eye on the N64, so some people were introduced to shooters via controllers and felt it was more comforable because they were still learning to use their opposable thumbs like monkeys.

This popular class of sub-human also caused the development of games like Halo.

GoldenEye is fucking amazing with a mod for mouselook though. Same with Perfect Dark.

Quake 2 is just as claustrophobic as Quake 1. Hell probably even more than quake 1. What are you on about?

It was only panned because it wasn't a good Quake game, they just slapped the Quake name on for brand recognition which pissed people off. Today however Quake 2 is basically just a slower Quake 3. It isn't bad, multiplayer is fun especially. I have a hard time coming back to it because I prefer the pace of Quake 3 for multiplayer and Quake for singleplayer. The singleplayer is novel but rather slow paced, still fun just boring even on the highest difficulty if you so much as know how to strafejump

It's very, very brown.

But the weapons are really cool, particularly the shotguns. The weapon feel and response was really good for the time.

The enemies? Not so much. Some charge you but they don't really offer much dynamics besides basic shooting.

It's one of those games where the player makes a sound every time you jump. It's really annoying, but it grows on you enough not to be a dealbreaker.

Come to think of it, most of my affection towards the game is probably nostalgia bias. I DOUBT anyone would find it enjoyable today if they didn't play it back when it was released.

I re-played it some years ago and it was a decent time sink.

**Sed ut perspiciatis, unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam eaque ipsa, quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt, explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem, quia voluptas sit, aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos,

qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt, neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet consectetur adipisci[ng] velit, sed quia non numquam [do] eius modi tempora inci[di]dunt, ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur?

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit, qui in ea voluptate velit esse, quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum, qui dolorem eum fugiat, quo voluptas nulla pariatur?**