Slav Horror

The only games to really tickle my horror fancy nowadays are of the Eastern European sort like STALKER, Pathologic, and some obscure Russian mods. It must be something in the atmosphere there which inspires such melancholy and almost fairytale-like supernatural horrors. Western horror seems to rely too much on shock value whereas Japanese horror tends to have completely retarded stories which just takes you out of it.

Anyone know some good examples of slav horror? A game I also recently tried out which would fit the bill is Darkwood, where you're some guy in a Polish forest where a mysterious plague has taken over, as you're trying to survive and find the cause of it all. It's ridiculously suspenseful even though it has a top-down viewpoint, largely because you can't see moving things outside your field of view. The audio design is incredibly unnerving too, especially once something starts messing with the doors inside your hideout and strange mushrooms start growing from the floors.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/i3feRkMZMRA?t=2h8m1s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Greene
stalkcelebs.com/photo-gallery/15245/1/anna-mucha-for-2017-ikea-catalog
moddb.com/mods/paranoia
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Metro series is aight.

Yes, its called "Living in the slavlands"

Good, it seems that learning Russki will pay off in vidya as well. As for Japanese horror, moe shit and uguu fucks ruined it. But stuff like Siren and Fatal Frame or any shinto horror is the shit.

Slavs throughout the USSR explored melancholy in their media.
Games started being made after the USSR, for the most part, but the devs grew up with with those influences and styles, so they transpose it to games.

The horror in their games is less "spooopy monster disrupts happy world" and more "the world is fucking shit, but sometimes you can make it a little bit less shit". It's a different take and really refreshing to western audiences. Not sure how the slavs like it, though they clearly must, as it keeps being made.

Its like smell of piss in your elevator brings you a nostalgia, and you look at writing that Ivan is an asshole with prostitute number below it and it fills you with determination.

Have you ever played Pathologic for Half Life user?
Its pretty good, the shooting is iffy though.

Pretty much, just like living under commie rule.

They're pretty average, too westernized.

I already live in an ex commie country though OP. Why do I need a game when I experience this 24/7?

you mean hipster horror

Cryostasis.

Because thse games make you feel like surviving is worth it unlike real life.
Also fantasy elements.

I really need to give this a spin

Are you one of those retards that always shits up threads at any mention of Metro because 'its westernized' without explaining what exactly is westernized about it other than the vague notion that somehow no one outside the west likes the occasional bit of action?

He's not asking you to play anything. He's asking for games to play. No one gives a shit about you or where you live.

STALKER is the only game that's ever genuinely unsettled me and made me feel fear at points. Metro 2033 was trying too hard.

Have you played games made by Sergey Noskov? The Light, The Train and 35mm?

Khan in the book would tell Artyom he was stalking him when Bourbon hired him and that he was going to kill you before giving you your pay, Khan is also distant as shit to Artyom and never opens up to him fully, none of that shit happens in the game giving out a more dark and desperate feeling to the game, instead you got "le epic anti hero badass" and "the good willing Mongol".

Last Light isn't even based on the novels and is even more westernized with shit like the Dark One child making no sense.

Wasn't that a walk simulation?

So that's a yes you're one of those fucks that shits up threads sperging out about Metro.

Did you try the Void (not exactly horror per se) or Knock Knock (2D horror)? They're both made by the same guys that did Pathologic.

Tell me anons, why do the slavs usually have a fatalist view when it comes to fiction?
Sure you can chalk it up as an effect of living in a depressing shithole, but other shitholes usually don't even have the time to even write things.

This guy has done some pretty good vids overall
He does the deadpan style of humor better than critikuck ever will
-t. opinion

Because our whole history has been one long string of misery.

Could have a look at this, not sure if it's any help though.

I've played 35MM and it isn't a horror game at all. Just a slow walking sim with bland empty environments and a single jumpscare.

No

Dude, that's ordinary life in slavland.
If nogs had any semblance of intelligence, they'd make shit that would make you an hero.

I can see a horror game where a tribe of Africans have to deal with some spooky shit working out. The savannes can be disquieting at night.

Or how about playing a a little female niglet trying to not get raped to death by niggers with AIDS?

Would be pretty cool, too bad it will never happen because no munies and American devs are shit

Knock-Knock is from the devs of Pathologic. I ain't played it I'm a wienie that only barely completed Metro's 'scary' bits but it's got that similar vibe of 'I think I know what's going on but nothing makes any fucking sense.'

>your testicles have to be this big to enter area/challenge to a match leveling system
I'd play it.

Isn't there a text based game where you basically got raped every year since birth, got goiter at 13 and died?
You could be spawned anywhere in the world.

Holy shit

A few more.

this is why i love browsing Holla Forums.

lovecraft is considered problematic again so he's no longer hipster bait

Stop being retarded

stalker and metro are pretty fucking good
let me know if thread manages to come out with something good

I wish there was a compilation of lovecraft fans being told what mountains of madness was really about and then getting upset about it.
I have done this quite a few times when meeting people who would drone on about lovecraft and their reaction is usually hilarious.

Fun fact, Shadow Over Innsmouth was inspired by Lovecraft finding out his grandmother was welsh

i never bothered to read lovecraft, that is mountains of madness really about?

The danger of enslaving stupid people thinking they can't hurt you because they are less intelligent. And yes, he actually meant niggers.

topkek what a hero

Was just thinking about this OP, as a Croat, something about Russian horror games is extremely appealing to me. The close second is British setting in their thrown-back villages ala Lovecraftian Call of Cthulhu setting.

Something about Dostoyevski's work and Russian games like Pathologic really strikes the cord though. The architecture is always beautiful, but also foreign and rotten in a way. When it spirals downwards, it spirals completely but in a more subtle way than for example Silent Hill would pull it out with the "Otherworld".

I highly recommend Pathologic 2 demo (Pathologic Marble Nest) which can still be downloaded as a standalone. Got me 10+ hours of autistic exploration for free.

Vid related:
youtu.be/i3feRkMZMRA?t=2h8m1s

Stylistically I think what Russians are touching upon is style otherwise known as Magical Realism.

Granted I haven't played much of pathologic, but it doesn't remind me at all of allende or marquez.
Then again, maybe I'm thinking too much about the setting. Anyway what exactly makes you think of magical realism when it comes to this game?

here

Slavs have many reasons to be masters of atmospheric horror. Being under communist rule is only one reason.
You can always try You Are Empty if you don't mind being bored and playing shitty games that feature shader effects and lighting you have to disable to play because the drunken retards didn't program it properly and shaders make models go invisible.

Man, what a disappointing game. So good, yet so broken. Widescreen support is a joke. You need a system far stronger than the requirements say to get it to run well. You need a soundblaster and ALchemy to get the audio to work right. Even with all that, the section with the dogs makes you disable the fancy physics effects until you pass it because they never programmed it properly and it crashes.

Kill yourself.

Imaginary realism* to correct myself. Shouldn't have conflated the two.

this is making me laugh a lot more than it should

(checked)

Anything related to that in terms of books or art that I should check out?

That is easy user. Any polish woman older than 30.

Did you try The Void and Knock Knock yet?

You're always free to shut up if you havent read the books and noticed the difference for yourself.
Your opinnions are worse than dog shit if you're this casual when it comes to the story.

"On the Creation of Niggers"

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
-Our boy HPL, 1912

Fucking delete this, I thought I had finally found a decent horror writer and he turns out to be another vintage SJW. Are there even any decent horror writers that don't shove there beliefs into everything? From what I remember Poe doesn't have any political/ideological bullshit in his writings? …Right? Please don't let him end up being a racist too…

I don't have any good Slavic Horror games, but I can tell you that Kholat is a boring walking simulator that isn't remotely scary, and if I remember correctly it was developed in Poland.

are you retarded, user?

polite sage for off-topic

Fucking retarded thing to say, when Lovecraft was never infatuated with some form of justice, but was simply worried about survival and stability. Also, the horror genre has always explored human conflinct whether psychological or political, not sure what you're on about. Fuck, one of the most iconic horror characters Dracula is based on a politician/ruler.
Well, Poe did marry and fuck his 13-year old cousin, user. So he was an incestuous pedophile.
Still a great writer.

Well, this "theory" ignores all philosophical underpinnings and peddles the silly left/right meme, which is arbitrary and retarded.

and he married a jew
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Greene

He fell for the Jewishness is cultural and not genetic meme

This is some pretty nice bait, well done

Quads settle it once and for all, now the thread can get back on topic

AAAAAAAAAA NUUUUUUUUUUUU

Bueno user

imbressive

That was awesome in so many ways, a really interesting environment, interesting story telling that really gave life to the characters, fun shooting gameplay to stitch everything together.
The last scene made me cry like a bitch.

(check'd)

Why is Gondola so comfy? There's always this ineffable feeling of relief that washes over me whenever I gaze upon his image.

You should read the OP before responding to it

Nice new ID. That's some atomic buttrage you have.

High level.

I mostly relate to it
I'm a social outcast who melancholically watches my surroundings without actively interfering on anything.

Is there any clone or pirate-friendly serb that could be used for that game? It's actually one of those few gems with great gameplay that were killed by a shitty community and shitty devs.

No idea, I would cream myself if there was.

you are like a weakling child. pathetic.

He's innocence incarnated. It's like why Yotsuba and Danbo are/were popular. It reminds you of all the best parts of life without anything bittersweet about it. I get the same feeling when playing Kirby games or Holla Forums just laughing at itself.

Why are slav games so shitty?

Maybe if they were white they would be able to make something good.

I bet you play Japanese games

Faggots like ruined baiting. There are no quality baits anymore, its just the same shit on repeat every time.

Also Mark is a cuck for deleting the NatSoc flag.

fuck off newfag

Dmitry Glukhovsky is not the same guy as the brothers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

Talking about Metro, not Roadside Picnic, there.

There is literally nothing wrong with communist countries though…

The fuck are you on about?

She's 37 this year. And has a little too much weight and too strong suntan, honestly.
stalkcelebs.com/photo-gallery/15245/1/anna-mucha-for-2017-ikea-catalog
Nice dubs though.

t. commie burger fatass triggered that we've been there and done that

Meant to quote

Following up, I have never seen a readable version of that first image. Does anyone have one? Or know the tl;dr of the image? I tried to get through the first few lines by squinting and now I have a splitting headache.

Ok, so, I persevered and probably gave myself cataracts, but here it is;

And then,

Not too bad a read, if it were legible.

Have any other anons played Paranoia?
moddb.com/mods/paranoia

Brabo Nolanb

yeah, it and its sequel are shit gwaficks whore games

It doesn't have to make sense, user. Stalker is a status symbol for memekids, anything else is considered westernized even though it's actually another slav game. You are talking to slavaboos.

I'll bite it and answer you, despite actually having read the book and not only enjoying it but also both games.

The book is mostly about detailing the Metro and the conditions people live in. Artyom isn't so much a character as a convenient way to advance the plot and show different sides and locations, ence the real reason why he ends up in pretty much every kind of situation while traveling the Metro.
You don't see the cannibals with the sleep darts or the gates of hell in the game for instance since they don't matter for what it's goal actually was: the hero quest.

The first game was mostly about Artyom and his journey, not so much the Metro. It did shared a very important aspect with the book, the meditation and reflection about their current situation that Artyom spent a lot of time thinking in his journey, considering his life, the life of everyone else and even the Dark Ones and the human condition.
But ultimately, it was about him and his journey with the best example being Khan itself who stops being a landmark in the Metro with his own interests and personaility to become an exposition device and temporary guide for Artyom's quest in the game.

The second game however wasn't based on the books, so there's that, and it's pretty clear that the goal was to continue what the first one started. Artyom is now a ranger and the game is about his mission, everyone else acting like secondary actors. First girl that shows up is the love interest, Khan loses most of his mystique nature and becomes full "wise old mentor", local captain is stern paternal figure, etc.

The critiques about the Dark One aren't very fair though, there's a point to him there that I guess it's not so basic since not that many people picked on it.
It's to mirror young Artyom, scared shitless in a world he doesn't know after losing his parents and give the player the confirmation that the choice in the first game wasn't that simple as the Dark Ones could actually have been decent neighbors. Anyone that read the book would knew this considering Artyoms final reflection on his actions so the baby Dark One would provide not only a good tie with the first game but also a metaphor for humanity itself and if it can be saved and restored again.

However, it was indeed more "action oriented" than what some people were expecting because that's what the devs saw as a strength and the selling point in the first. This isn't necessarily bad as some would tell you, there's more variety in guns, extra throwable objects, some more environment interaction, a better bullet economy and more gameplay options for you because of this after all.
There's less phylosophy and contemplation and that's indeed a problem if you were looking for it, natural coming from the first Metro and the book itself.

But overall, it's not a bad game, it's just closer to Wolfenstein than the first game was, I suppose.

Yeah, its fucking great

What a pathetic sad of shit, Metro is average and the only thing going for it is the art design and atmosphere, deal with it

Noice.

(You)

is this guy /ourguy/
literally all the reviews he does are basically standard Holla Forums vydia