Star control 2

Let's talk about it! I love this game. I played it for the first time about 8 years ago. I don't think I've ever seen a game doing such varied and different aliens. Also, the combat is varied, with a lot of very different ships.

How does it feel to be a hipster and force yourself to play something old and unplayable nowadays?

The aliens in Stardock's Star control that we have seen aren't weird enough for my liking

I have never experienced species as weird as the mycon or ORZ.

It's one of the few games that throws a bunch of different gameplay elements at the player and mostly succeeds at it. Hypermelee is fun, the story is straightforward without being dull, exploration brings up lots of different aliens with their own issues to deal with, and resource gathering is not bad, if a bit dull after a while. Most games that try to pull this off suck so badly at one part that it brings down the rest, but not Star Control 2.

It was bretty fun. The ship combat sucks though, which becomes painfully evident when you get to the final battle.

There are mods for the open-source re-release, one of which rebalances ship combat specifically for Multiplayer. We should have a match or two, and .webm them for shits and giggles.

Honestly? Bad controls, bad ship balance, tedious mineral collection system. Most of the main gameplay mechanics of this game are terrible. That said, it has a nice world and some nice abstract puzzles to explore and some memorable dialogue. It's worth a playthrough for that at least. However, based on how much I value gameplay, I have never been able to think very highly of this game. I'll say it: it's not a good game.

How does it feel to be an underage nigger?

Never had a problem with the controls. For ship balance, there's a difference between how they handled it in Star Control 1 (like a fighting game, where each ship has strengths and weaknesses but can generally stand a chance in a one-on-one battle) and in Star Control 2 (a point-based system where weaker ships cost less but can win with numbers over stronger, more expensive ships). In SC1 an Earthling Cruiser will wreck an Ur-Quan Dreadnought, in SC2 it'll get crushed because it costs 11 points versus the Dreadnought's 30.

That's more a problem of the final boss being a bad battle than the ship combat being bad in general. At that point they expected your main ship to be a death machine and just threw all sorts of dumb shit on the boss to make it different.

You type like a fag

not all of the aliums in star control 2 were really out there designs, but they were still fun to interact with.
i have a good feeling about nerd slugs

WE COME IN PEACE

ayy

these are realy bad

I don't know, that's just inside my typical scale. Well above human-with-blue-skin, but below nonsensical things that shouldn't actually be able to do anything.
Only complaint is it's a bit, for lack of a better word, 'dreamworks'y.

Speaking of scale. The Precursors were supposed to be large mammoth like beings. I kind of want to see that aspect played up more when it comes to aliens. In live action there's some practical limits ie paint someone a blue color, stick weird prosthetics on their foreheads and call them ayyliums.

I want to see more scenarios where the player character is talking to something they thought was the alien only to realize it's only their optical and audio sensory appendage, and the whole body of the alien is far bigger.

I like how the VUX are like the British, while Spathi are the French. Interestingly, the Spathi ship can pork most of the enemies you have to fight in the campaign.

That's not really an existing tradeoff in SC2. The weakest, cheapest ships generally are so weak that it's a total waste of resources to build them because they die in seconds before they can do anything. Then you have stuff like the Utwig ship that can tank just about anything. Why would I ever waste resources on an expensive Chmmr ship for instance when the Utwig's ship is so much better?

Whoa, did I miss something here? Who decided to let that anti-consumer shithead near Star Control? Should we expect this to be crippled with DRM too?

And dx15

what the hell is this?

This is what mark's Holla Forums looks like.

How does it feel being on the wrong site?

He bought the rights to use the name. Toys for Bob is still making a sequel just under another name (Ghosts of the Precursors). And for Stardock's credit they've agreed not to use any of the races from Star Control 1 & 2 and just make their own races.

Did you try The Long Journey Home? Its a lot like SC2

This game ripped off Mass Effect :^)

one thing that mass effect has that star control doesnt is more interaction between alien species. from your party members to various townsfolk, they often have something to say about eachother.
i hope this revival makes full use of their amusing personalities.

Can I play this with the GOG release, or do I need some kind of sourceport to play it with?

If you want a really weird species, it should be one you cannot comunicate with normally.

It's downright retarded to speak with a species with no mouth or eyes, and it uses terms and words that are vision-based.

the translator failing is actually a big part of interacting with the orz.

They just released the video for their "Fleet Battles" beta. It looks like instead of having a roster of interesting well-designed ships, it will be based on a ship editor. Pilot portraits are currently static images.

Embedding instead of making a webm only because my internet just shit itself, can someone please do the honor

Just realised SC2 was about race war between light and dark skinned UrQuans.

that toilet seat is a god

I never played any of these games. well I did try ur-quan masters because apparently there's a linux version for free bit I didn't get far because I sucked at it.
where do I begin?

those fuking youtube comments, I just got terminal cancer

go to the moon, or was it pluto?

They both fit the bill, but the Mycon especially so since they don't make a hell of a lot of sense. It doesn't really help that they have fevered racial memories of other times and places. Basically the best you can do with them is basically shoot them and keep them the hell away from habitable worlds.

Ur-Quan Masters is free for all platforms, although it hasn't been updated in like a decade. Honestly it could really do with a bit of an overhaul in some areas.

Anyway, go to Earth, talk to people, do the moon and Pluto, kill the spiders and then go mining for minerals. Go from there, keep to safe worlds for resourcing until you get a tricked out rover. One tip: don't shoot the Shofixti, always run from them. BTW you only have a few in-game years to beat the game, but you can extend it by about another year or two by forging alliances with other races to have them fight the black Ur-Quan.

Ship editor might just be for the player's ship like in SC2.

I hate newfags.

Brad owns the series name, and Ford & Reiche get to make official sequels to their previous games with no problems. I could name way worse rights situations in the industry, for a start Looking Glass-related ones (until very recently but then looking at how that was going about a year ago, I kinda wish the rights remained in limbo).

ok, thanks

Stardock's threatens to be so shit that the original creators are making a sequel just so they don't see their IP shat on.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Arilou have some dark sinister plans for humanity and that's why they've been protecting them?

That was hinted within the game and in the credits scene.

Refresh my memory?

Me and my boyfriend play this. He bends that ass over pretends its a planet and I take star control with my spaceship.

I'd legit beat you up in real life. There are a lot of tough guy on Holla Forums but I am the type to take things into the real world. Say that in real life and see what happens. You will be missing bones, missing organs. You would beg for your life if you ever saw me on the street. I'm a big guy. Tough strong. I would beat you down and rape you for disagreeing with me.

iirc conversations with some of the races if you bring up the subject of the Arilous, the hints that the syreen and humans being sexually and genetically compatible is not some random coincidence. The Arilous and the Orz conversation branches iirc had a lot of hints between them knowing each other in a not friendly ways. *Arilou quickbabies*, *Orz does not like Arilou*,

The arilou themselves iirc when talking about the events of SC1, if there is a pdf of the SC2 manual that might have a few things as well. The credit scene was them haha only joking talking about project bluebook.

Someone in this thread cyber with me I need a hot daddy.

Always got the feeling the Arilou were supposed to be entirely benevolent beings assisting humans behind the scenes. Obviously they have conflict with the Orz because the Orz are the actual race/being with sinister plans for the galaxy and Arilou are the race that can see the Orz dimension and notice what's going on.

Why is leftypol shitting up boards again?

That's what they do.

I would not trust them to be entirely benevolent, maybe closer to them looking out for humanity as their investment. The Orz is more of a convenient alliance, and there are good reasons not to trust them too much ie what happened to the androsynth with them. But the arilou iirc joined the Alliance fairly late in the events of SC1. With the syreens or maybe someone else holding a slight grudge for the arilous escaping fairly early like the french when the urquan was winning the war in SC1.

The only race I'd trust nearly completely are the Chejensu \ Chmmrr, Zoq Fot Pik and the Pkunk.

It's fucking freeware, mate.

Just listen to this theme and tell me you would prefer the Pkunk as allies.

I'd trust the Yehat in SC1. But NOT during their treacherous queen era. The post revolution Yehats, those scottish pterodactyles are alright again.

I think you're reading too much into it. SC2 species were intentionally one dimensional and simple in most respects, which is what made them interesting when you had to interact with them because they worked on alien principles.

Arilou internet defence force get out. Quick babbys not allowed in this space.