Grenade Launchers

Few weapons in vidya do a better job of combining the mayhem of explosive weapons with the satisfaction of landing direct hits with a projectile weapon.

Let's have a grenade launcher appreciation thread.

A truly fearsome specimen from F:NV.

the best grenade launcher in a game ever is still the one from quake

Can't even count how many games this classic has appeared in.

Does the Super Shotgun from DOOM count?

Why would it?

Also here's a recent take on the classic "revolver" design.

Seems to be the problem in a nutshell, user. For example, this used to be a good weapon.

Come on, man. The damn thing was used like a one-shot-kill shotgun due to high damage and close distance. The speed of the projectile meant that you could aim it almost with no leading so anyone going near you would get insta-fragged.

The change was pretty good, giving the weapon a clear purpose to break buildings, especially usefull if you brought a shield instead of stickies.

Then they should have left it with the 25% extra self-damage, so shitters would continue to self-gib if they tried shotgunning with it. Instead, it got the usual Valve treatment–a couple of completely schizophrenic changes followed by a panic nerf when people continued to whine about it (if they even were).

It was clearly meant to be the demo's version of the Direct Hit, but without any meaningful damage bonus it's pointless. Not to mention it's the one grenade launcher that's least likely to be used against buildings because it has 0 indirect fire options and sentries kill anything in their line of sight.

Now I'm just waiting for valve to nerf the Iron Bomber because non-demoknights clearly aren't meant to have any fun at all.

Best grenade launcher coming through.

rotary grenade launchers have been around for a while now, my dude

It's breddy gud, I have to admit. One of the few games where you can direct hit someone with a grenade after it bounces off a surface.

you should read my post again, friend.

Except at full health, it wasn't enough for that, considering the Demo's HP.
What happened was Scouts or Spys going near Demos because close range is when they're more efficient and getting blown with a single projectile because of this gun, punishing them for playing their role properly.

un-cress

I'll admit that valve did the right thing when they tuned grenade damage to never OHKO 125HP classes. But that's all they should have done.

Look at the Tide Turner's patch history and tell me demoknight is supposed to be fun. Iron Bomber is the best grenade launcher for demoknight anyway because you can use it to grenade jump but there's no reason to ever do that because demoknight is now more non-functional than pyro.

t. demoknight

Overwatch is fucking shit, but god damn, this weapon was fun as fuck. One of the only good things about that shit game.

fuck off

Both games are garbage. TF2 used to be half decent.

it still hurts.

I love the .96

guess they balanced it…

(checked)
Dubs don't lie.

What happened? Was it nerfed?

Criminally underutilized

The Blooper is probably the SPAS-12 of grenade launchers in that it's a very distinctive real-life weapon.

It's the closest thing to a Wild West Grenade launcher as you can get: gritty-looking, wood furniture, break-action.

I prefer the APW because it's lighter so it takes up less inventory space.

I could've sworn the grenade launcher from the first Delta Force game used the same soundeffect as Terminator 2 did for its smoke grenade launcher.
Bad Company 2: Vietnams grenad elauncher comes the closest. Still looking for that one game that has the perfect FWOOMP sound effect.

Was it ever…
I couldn't keep it, I had to take it to the market and put it out of its misery. Zarr is interesting, but it's just not the same.

Before that one even existed I found pic related to be pretty fun

Shit, that sucks.
how's about the Angstrum? Used to be my favorite, before I got the thing.

Now Kulstar with Multishot on the other hand…

Damn shame. That thing was pretty much absolute power, except that it was a 20% chance of killing you most the time. 'Least, with what I ran with it back in the day.

The mercy is better. Uses less ammo, more reliable and cripples deathclaws with one standard grenade on very hard with a maxed out demolitions expert skill.

APW is just great.

I really liked the GL40 in The World is Not Enough.
That delicious thump sound gets me every time.
Shame you only ever used it like twice in the single player mode.
You could buttfuck everyone else in multiplayer with it, but the MP in that game sucked because iirc there was some retarded restriction where good guys absolutely could not fight each other or some shit.

is that a 40mm shotgun? i don't even know what the hell it is and i want it

hardline sucked in a lot of ways, but hauling ass in a stolen car while firing thumper rounds at the cops chasing you while blasting WOOP WOOP was pretty fun

It's China Lake, dumbo.

Been with TF2 since Orange Box launch day, kiddo. Try again. Or better yet, list something that's more fun than that one, regardless of game.

Oh wait, you can't, because you're a (1) and done faggot. lol.

I remember when I got it thinking it was a shotgun.
Loaded it with maxed base damage + multishot.
First mission, I get close to someone and pull the trigger.
Blew me across the room (I was leveling a Vauban and forgot to mod him because all I cared about was the Kulstar).

I ended up putting it on Inaros. It pairs well with him. Longe range? Lato (for shits and gigles, it doesn't deal a lot of damage over lvl 45, takes 6 shots to kill someone, or 4 headshots), medium range kullstar and short range either the Orthos Prime or his abilities.
Heck, if the kulstar doesn't kill fast enough, I just whirlind people away and start over.
But usually, it's one of the best secondaries I've tried.
The Talons are good too, pretty fun to use.

I'm not sure why, but I think that was the only direct TF2 - > Overwatch ripoff that not only improved on the original but did so greatly.
There's something about it that makes it so great but fair to play against.
Spamming can actually deny areas of your enemies, you can bounce it a lot, direct hits are satisfying and that reload animation is fantastic.

The fun thing about Junkrat is that 90% of the retards playing Overwatch don't know how to classify him. So he doesn't fit the "2 tanks, 2 healers, 2 DPS" meta going on right now.
I just pick them and have people bitch about it.
If attacking, I tell'em Junk's great at attacking stuff.
If defending, I tell'em he's good at defense and laying traps.

I like Pyro more than Mei.
I like the Spy better than Sombra.
And I even like that germanic handsome bastard healing our asses more than Mercy.
But Junkrat has a spot in my heart that the Demoman could never fill.

RPG-7 is great.
I love soviet weapon a e s t h e t i c

I always try to find one in S.T.A.L.K.E.R and then go Pseudogiant hunting.

Came here to post this. Though I did play through using DarkPlaces, which I think fucks with the physics which may make the grenades bounce differently than vanilla. I found it fantastic though, far too many games simply have the grenade launcher as the fallback weapon when you run out of rockets whereas with Quake there were tons of situations where it was preferable to rocket launcher.

This is spot-fucking-on.

I think the thing that really stood out to me as Junkrat, was the clear and deliberate attention Blizzard paid to TF2 and Demoman's mechanics. The transition was so incredibly natural, and everything just felt right. I know it's cool to hate on Overwatch, but it made me feel right at home after 3k hours spent playing Demo in pre-class update TF2.

It's pretty fucking sad how Overwatch feels more like TF2, than TF2 does now, but I appreciate how compotent the game feels in general.

Is there any game besides Rising Storm 2 that allows you to load buckshot rounds into the grenade launcher?

What is that beautiful machine?

I dunno man, since Jungle Inferno I've been having a blast playing Demo, feels a lot more consistent than playing Junk.

Was Jungle Inferno good? I haven't touched TF2 in a couple of years, stopped playing around the Cow Mangler period. All I've seen are threads bitching about it, but Holla Forums cries about everything.

It's shit. More nerfs, more hats, more lootboxes. It's no different to LaW.

The largest sporting rifle ever made, the .950 JDJ.

men of valor is the only one I can think of off the top of my head

In the same way "Monster trucks" are a sport, I guess.

Generally when it comes to firearms, if it isn't designed expressly for military, law enforcement, or self defense purposes, it falls under the sporting classification, even if it's hugely impractical for hunting or competition. I'll stop derailing with funz now.

How much does one round cost, how big is it, and what sort of exit wound would it leave? Jesus. Also the cost of the gun?

You do know "aesthetic" is a word, right? It's not just a meme, it's a phrase you can just use and we all know what you're talking about. You don't have to filter everything you say through memes, you can stop.

they had some rounds for sale at my gun shop for 60 a piece but that's probably the exception rather than the rule. The rifles are stupidly hard to find, just checking around. They no doubt cost a shitload.

It's not bad, made some balance changes that were sorely needed and changed some other shit that probably could have stayed as-is.

More importantly, it brought people back to TF2 so you can actually find a full game. My advice is to give it a try, personally I discovered a demo weapon that feels really good to use (iron bomber) that I'd never tried before. Lotta new shit, and not all of it is, well, shit.

And those "balance changes" are exactly the same shit we've been receiving since 2013, unbalanced changes. This update is objectively shit.

See

As far as exit wounds go, if an average sized man was to be hit in the chest with a round this large and heavy, moving as fast as it does, you would have a situation where a large section of the torso would be completely obliterated from the force and impact. To put it into perspective, a .50BMG round (12,000-15,000 ft-lbs. of force) can quite literally make a person's head explode like a pumpkin. There are plenty of ISIS propaganda videos floating around that are evidence of such. This round (~38,000 ft-lbs.) is far larger and heavier than that. I have no doubt that it would easily shear off legs and arms if shot at extremities. It's basically small artillery.

The rifles themselves are very pricey as they are rare and cost intensive to manufacture/distribute legally. Think potentially tens of thousands of USD depending on availability at the time. Polite sage for OT.

A E S T H E T I C M E M E

what are your objective metrics?

I didn't like it. Now the Penta, that was fucking great. Then they nerfed it even harder than they ever did with Tonkor.

BF3 and 4.

(checked)
I never played BF4 but I remember loving the 40mm dart (flechette) loads in BF3, that shit was highly effective. People would get very upset at you.

Here

ONE JOB BLIZZ!

fucking lol.

Worst grenade launcher here

Gonna give this one points for ingenuity at least.

You better not be generally talking shit about the m79 you son of a bitch.

As long as African big game exists, it has its niche.

Just to let you know some people like to hunt tanks with the solid milled brass rounds for that thing.

My dad loved that thing when he was in Vietnam. Always loved seeing it in movies when it made that satisfying 'pop' noise.

It's really more of a 'thwunk' or a 'bloop' sound, user. Satisfying as hell though.

Grenade launchers should deal good damage, not like a weak pistol. In most games they are weak as fuck. Why include them if they're weak? Only game I've seen that does them right is Stalker. You find a grenade launcher in an irradiated basement with a few ammo, and BOOM! It fucking obliterated a camp of enemies with one shot.

The reason that many vidya grenade launchers end up being shit is because weak pussy bitches cry about them endlessly until they get nerfed, or faggot devs are afraid of weak pussy bitches crying endlessly so they preemptively make them shit to avoid conflict, like little menstrual cramped women.

well at least it still has "splash" damage

Best grenade launcher and shotgun in any game. You literally can't dispute this.

I like projectile shotguns, but shit SFX holds the shotgun back from being god-tier. Even Xonotic's Crylink sounds better. As far as grenade launchers go, it's way the fuck down the list

nah, nothing any ut game has done is good

Interesting