Jagged Alliance, 7.62 Hard Life, etc

I have been meaning to play 7.62 for a bit, but I've read I should play Jagged Alliance first. Should I start with the first of the series, or is Jagged Alliance 2 a fine starting point? PCGW recommends two different patches: one called Stracciatella, and one called v1.13. Which do you recommend? How does the DS port of the first game stack up against the DOS original?

7.62 is boring, prone to crashes and savegame corruptions, gamebreaking bugs oh and AI that has aimbots and knows precisely where you are every time

If you start with Jagged Alliance 2, you'll find that JA1 is much harder to get into, simply because JA2 does all the things better.

Stracciatella is basically just an unofficial patch. 1.13 is a cool mod in certain ways but its not fucking JA2.

Go for JA2 1.13 straight away, dont bother with JA1

git gud

This is important: are you underage?

I'm afraid I am not.

Are you saying Stracciatella is more true to the original gameplay? What does 1.13 add?

So what's the deal then? Missing 7.62 is one thing even considering where we are but JA(2)? Fuck me.

Play JA2 with the 1.13 mod and AI tweaks.

You should've posted the 1.13 second one when you send DeeDee some roses.

I dream of a game with the autistic level of detail of 1.13 set in the Maschinen Krieger universe. Those suits of power armor are made of pure win.

The Closest thing we have upcoming is Phoenix Point which at least will have proper projectiles unlike nu xcom

I dream of game with complexity of 1.13, scope of x-com and fraction system with the RPG elements added on top

It will be trash, if i can only hope for worthy xcom successor it might be xenonauts2 but the inner dev confusion and lack of definite design decisions this late in the development worries me greatly

That's not fair since the project is his, the dev's, babby.

I still can't believe that nobody managed to go ahead and make a carbon copy of X-COM with improved graphics and interface (and different art-style) in all this time. How fucking hard could it have been?

Look at the numbers, nucom sold better that xenonauts therefore more games will be similar in complexity to nucom than to xenonauts-oldschool xcom

Well duh, gamers eat shit up.

Should I start with "sci-fi" or "realistic"?

what is this madness I see before me

also, seriously, vanilla JA2 or JA2 1.3 for first time run?

Enjoy your giant bugs :^)

Vanilla. Why? Because with 1.13 you get to enjoy it all over again. You also won't lose your mind trying to figure out what gun or merc to use

Screw bugs. Every other fag having a bolter come Meduna is much more annoying.

I did my first run on 1.13 and i cant really complain, it was really good

Its simple, the coolest looking one of course

And with shit like .50 beowulf or 6.8 you'll never know the joy of your first superglued, springloaded, can improved FAL.

Actually the weapons progression in 1.13 is pretty well balanced since you wont get anything more than shitty smg or pistol until like capturing 1/2 towns

You know you can find a AKM before leaving Omerta? How about a 5.56 commando? Both there from vanilla. Way I see it you cheated yourself of both cutting your teeth on what's a perfectly fun game and having one mother of a NG+ when you finally get good.

1.12 also had a different mechanics and role to guns; EU stuff was generally slower but more accurate, soviet guns were faster and so on.

Also that's a straight up lie. Grumm, Alma and Meduna have army garrisons from the start regardless of difficulty or ton of guns checked with Meduna additionally having palace guards.

Did you read the ign article associated with that image? I advise you not to.

I just got the first image that popped up for me

its one of those cases isnt it

it

sure

is

Here are some choice quotes:

so leaving a space after the number reply counts towards reddit spacing now? fuck you the spacing gaystapo, that post had only 2 lines

what an asshole

Nigger stop doing everything in your power to look like an outlier and you wont get called out as one, and use some proper fucking punctuation. Why should anyone give a single fuck about your posts if you can't even take the 2 brain cells to hit shift while you spew it out?

Amen.

EVERYTHING.
It would be quicker to tell you what it doesn't add.

but seriously, go check the 1.13 forums, and check how to configure it. There's millions of options

So is the first Jagged Alliance worth it?

After a couple false starts I read the manual and got a decent group together. It sure helps to get someone with a rifle.

I never finished JA 2 : Unfinished Business. Probably because I selected shitty mercs like that Jamaican woman and the vietnamese doc

But seriously, THIS

If X-Com can have its Xenonauts, why can't JA have something like that? The closest thing I could find is this fagbook game called Headshot. It only retains the battle screen and no hiring or world map.

You can play it to be reminiscent like "hehe look at this old, unrefined gameplay and grafficks lol". JA2 makes everything so much better

Well there was supposed to be a game called "End State" that had potential but its dead

Along with all the fucking Jagged Alliance reboots that consistently failed to hit the mark. I wish the 7,62 devs had more money to polish their game and hired good writers and VAs to give some soul to their it.

Somethingawful is that-a-way kiddo.

JA had an atmosphere that very, very few games managed to reproduce. Just how many squad based games have actual characters in their roster, and no not the valk type shit when they get a proc trait once every blue moon. I mean faggots snitching on each other, random friendly fire, stealing gear only to "remember" having it once their ass is on the line. Multiple addictions and different behavior when they go cold turkey. Trash talk, my god the trash talk.

Christina's VA is pure sex, so shut your lying nigger mouth.

After 5 attempts at starting 1.13, I've moved to vanilla and already prefer it.

Everyone saying 1.13 and vanilla are completely different games is not hyperbole.

1.13, at least with the default settings, assumes that you have a general idea of the flow of the vanilla campaign and will plan accordingly. That being said a shitload of variables can be edited to make the game play exactly as you want it to so you could just look up if someone has a guide how to make the game a little bit more like vanilla or how to reduce the difficulty.

Here's I guide I found after getting my ass blasted twice by the first thing the guide advises to disable.

You know what 1.13 also assumes? That you can handle up to 64 enemies ganging up on you from multiple directions. For comparison in vanilla I usually cleared at least two cities with my IMP and a gun lifted from a high end AIM merc.

That attack is not all that difficult to deal with seeing you can A: postpone taking the airport or the bar section until you've got sufficient militia to draw out the fight and B: they're usually yellowshirt quality. Once you start getting hit by blackshirts supported by tanks, hummers and off screen artillery that's another brand of reaming all together.

The Drassen counterattack is exactly what made me reconsider

I look forward to playing it after I clear vanilla

Seeing how you fags got me replaying this how about we talk squad compositions. Who do you consider indispensable? Any favorite mercs? Personally I'm quite partial to Igor, Q and Grunty early game with Maddog providing the comedy relief and technical support. Too bad not-arnold hates I&I or he'd be amazing

But I can't seem to avoid eventually hiring Reaper or Scope.

There's one thing 7.62 does better than JA2. Suppression. Because 7.62 is real time with pause instead of action point turn based, having a guy setup behind some sandbags with an LMG rocking an ACOG is basically a force multiplier like no other.

Grizzly - for your heavy weapon needs
Wolf - for teaching and general killing
Bull - for you basic grunt needs and HtH
Steroid - for fixin and killin
Fox - for that feminine charm
Shadow - for stealth and sniping

All of these like eachother and work great together.

MD is a good doctor, fast learner.
Barry is excellent explosives expert and comes cheap.

My starting team is usually MD, Barry, Grizzly, Steroid and Bull.

Later I add Fox, Wolf, Buns, Igor and later Shadow when I can afford him.

Wolf, really? Bull's made for the San Mona circuit but I'm rather curious about Wolf. I mean you can find both all-rounders five times better (Conrad, Anderson or Stephen for one) or dedicated teachers.

So is Fidel. You tell the bad guys Fidel is coming.You tell dem that.

Not if you just edit it in the settings

I've never played these games, but Jagged Alliance and Civilization are the only games my mom plays. She's probably put thousands of hours into Jagged Alliance 2 alone. Are these games that addictive or is my mom just autistic?

how big is your mom's penis?

Your mom sounds cool, do you need a new dad?

hush user, i am on the case already

If you grew up on them you'll love it, if you didn't you might not like the sheer level of detail and the slow paced turn based gameplay.

YOU'VE GOT MY EAR

Bull is cheap. Real cheap.
And Wolf gets along excellently with Shadow, Grizzly and Fox.

Basically, the team I'm packing is always at high morale, because they are all total bros.

hey can I fuck your mom or what bro

That's not entirely true. Shadow doesn't care about anyone and Gontarski is hilarious but more trouble than he's worth. Those characters also suffer from very shit start stats, fairly bad traits and fairly low wisdom. Plus it's not all that difficult to morale manage between regular victories and brothel visits.

Post pics of your mom.
Or put here on the computer, she sounds more interesting than you.

And has low level which means he'll level up fast and start asking for outrageous sums.

There's nothing stopping you from paying him several months worth of 2XWeek wages while he's still dirt cheap. But surprisingly it's the MERCfags that start gouging you when they finally get good.

OH GOD THIS FUCKING GAME IS AMAZING WITH 1.13 WHERE ELSE CAN I GET GANG BANGED BY 200 SOLDIERS ATTACKING IN WAVES OF 64 AFTER TAKING SHITZENA MINE AND HAVING ONLY A SHITTY REVOLVER PLUS A LIGHT STICK.

Solved this by just focusing on taking the mines and leaving the last part of a city untaken (usually middle drassen or upper chitzi), stacking cash and ordering sandbags to entrench myself (no bullshit chineese wall) , it's so much fucking fun and the gear you get off those fuckers is AMAZING.

I legit want a newer JA2 with the same depth and weapon customization.. guess I'll stick with divinity os2 until then..

I remember getting this fucking game from a game magazine and how it fucked my little casual 12 year old ass so hard that I was scared to leave drassen

Is Scully gonna make it lads ?

Nice screeching but you're still talking out of your ass.

What kind of fucking casual are you to play with 32 and not 64 , it's legit the best thing ever

Protip: Use your keyboard to type things in INI files.

One that doesn't intentionally stack the odds against him and then whines about it? In all seriousness that's probably a real bad idea considering how suppression works in 1.13, I mean, hit or miss, you're going to end up with -200 AP once they start getting automatics.

I wasn't whining, seeing this thread got me pumped up and remembered the good times, sorry if it came across as something else.

Well, shit. Right back at you.

Given how much he fucking costs I'd say he'll be fine.

So i've started playing Jagged Alliance 1 because JA2 will ruin it for me if I start on the second one just to see for myself before moving on.
Now one thing I need clarification on, this is basically the XCOM system right? If I stand with trees the bullet trajectory may hit the object standing between me and the other guy or is standing near trees and bushes pointless?

The voice acting in Jagged Alliance is really funny. Try shooting your own team mates. Each character has phases just for that.

She is evil. A Driven. Bitch.

You mean X-Com and yes. Try unloading an LMG or a pancor into a mass and see what happens. Trees as in solid trunks can stop bullets, shrubbery or whatever still helps against LoS.

I don't know if that could be considered cheesing but as far as taking Drassen goes I always favour night ops as it's more or less playing on my terms since eyesight at night for base mercs and red shirts is pretty much the same as starting SMGs/pistols, not to mention it delays the AI ganging up on you a lot.
As for the Drassen Counterattack, once again don't know if considered cheesing but since I'm vastly outnumbered and enemies congregate pretty much from all sides I try to use chokepoints so I don't have really much choice besides making my mercs stay indoors and pick off enemies little by little.

I'm also always amazed how people seem to like Jagged Alliance sometimes for vastly different reasons, I've seen people like it solely for its mechanics, others because of the vast number of different mercs and quality of voiceovers, others just because they could mod it easily. I think it really shows just how much things the game did right for its time and maybe it's one of the reasons every attemps to make another JA game have failed, there's always something missing to one of those groups.
Personally even if I really enjoy the gameplay itself I love the slight 80s B-Movie feel of the game with tons of different merc personalities and the fact that the game doesn't take itself seriously, I'll get lynched for this but I even liked the option of playing against Crepitus. I don't know how much work the VA and portrait of each merc represents but I was always kind of dissapointed to see that in more recent JA games like Flashback and BiA this wasn't a particular concern, I mean 2D portraits would be more than enough even of the level of detail of JA2 since 3D portraits look terrible unless an ungodly amount of money is poured into them. Anyway, just to say that the game has the charm of that era that really resonates with me, I get the same comfy feeling while watching City Hunter openings.

In fact she should govern USA instead of that wig-faggot

Well, I just like em.

And Steroid is quiet if you have Grizzly. Basically, if you have someone in your team hey really like, a merc is willing to put up with someone they don't like.
Although it's best to keep them in separate squads.

That, and I might have modded the stats of some mercs - mostly wisdom boosts. Some price increases too.

Also, while Shadow might no particularly care about anyone, half the mercs like him - including the rebel leader, Miguel.

Fair enough. Although there's fun and then some to be had in making a proper squad from meme mercs.

That's not cheesing, that's basic tactical senses right there.
For some hypothetical JA2 sequal personally I'd only change two things about JA2 and that would be as follows:
1) you can shimmy sideways, or in technical terms move while facing the same direction, it is always a pet peeve of mine that you can't do this. Even if there would have to be both sensible logic and gameplay limitations to it I'd still want to put it in. You see I've always hated the image in my mind when I see guys run out in the open do a full turn, shoot, then turn around, and run back with their backs exposed.

2) Remove team turns and make it one turn with both teams move at the same time. To make this less of a headache the order for both team members is predetermined, and the NPCs still move really fast when their guys move.

That's correct.

JA1 is sort of hard to get into since a fair amount of the game is timed to a calendar. To get the best ending you'll have to intercept certain enemy meetups on certain days. The last mission has infinite enemies and you'll have to have a fast merc who can run across a room in one turn. That said, it's fun once you get used to it's quirks. Deadly Games is sort of more of the same but with less strategic play. JA2 OTOH is dead easy to get into, aging well even to the present day. Overall I'd say go JA2>JA1>DG.

1.13, but provisionally. The mod with ever bell and whistle turned on is pure assburgers. Back several years ago it was just "detail work + fun shit" but since then it's evolved into something that would make Solid Snake cry and honestly isn't as entertaining as it had been (and at times can be sort of clunky). I vaguely remember Stracciatella but I haven't checked up on either mod in about two years and 1.13 already had a large head start over Strac.

Personally I'd suggest getting used to the game with vanilla (which is still quite good) using the latest bugfix patch, and then doing New Game Plus with 113.

Always use PC releases of JA.

Are you talking about taking sidesteps and backsteps ? As far as I'm aware the option has always been there (though maybe this was added by 1.13).
You just have to press ALT and move your character either left/right or back. This doesn't work if your merc has already readied his weapons however (and you can't do it diagonally too I think).

I'll do the dude.
I wouldn't think twice of it.
It's a shame really, but necessary I suppose.

JA1 first then JA2 1.13

there are some bad ground stuff with the mercs that you wouldn't get if you start with JA2

Huh, then i guess I can't think of anything.

I see you're a man of taste

You forgot to mention that you will at most control 2 mercs.

btw before I get into jagged Alliance 2 what's the difference between the space campaign and the default campaign?

Space campaign has the queen use genetic experiment bugs in one mine.
Fun to kill them. Bring hollow point.

Also I've looked Jagged Alliance 2 mods but all that keeps coming up is the 1.13 patch.

bump

Some weapons and bugs

WHY THE FUCK I DROP MY GUN AFTER I GET SHOT AND THEN CAN'T PICK IT BACK UP

Hold control.

Cheers

And here I thought rocket rifles were bad.

Life is suffering, also bump.

I know that feel man, flip a coin then dive in. Just pick random dudes that are your pay grade and go for it.