WW1 Vidya

Well it's 11/11 today so it got me wondering what is considered essential WW1 vidya? The only shooter I can think of worth playing is Verdun and a few meme horror games. Surprisingly there's no RTS games I can think of either aside from a few mods. Any aviation or naval warfare games anons would recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
stalingrad-feldpost.de/Daten/Daten1/Daten-Kessel/daten-kessel.html
bundesarchiv.de/oeffentlichkeitsarbeit/bilder_dokumente/03378/index.html.de
archive.is/fijOy)
gottfriedrinker.bplaced.net/stalingrad.html
moddb.com/mods/ww1-source/news/screaming-steel-changing-vanilla
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think that Toy Soldiers is a fun game to play once in a while. It's more tower defense, but it can get extremely challenging, especially during the new game + where you play the Germans.

posting some music to go with the thread

Didn't Ubikike buy it out and ruin it?

Comfy

F

Nice thumbnail.

I'd try the Red Baron and the DOS era flighters if you into some dogfighting as for RTS you could try and track down WW1: the great war. It's a Cossacks spin-off and the whole expendable mass of infantry really works.

I have no idea. I stopped following the news after getting Cold War.

Picked wrong version.

I love how World War I happened for literally fucking nothing but everyone in Europe getting butthurt at each other.

There was far more autism back then.

Still, it's amusing to think Serbia wanting to rule itself ended up blowing up so legendarily because when Austria-Hungary had enough of their shit and called Germany for help, France, Britain and Russia got dragged in just to protect their own interests and basically went from simply not getting along to trying to kill the other side with a perfect excuse of being on the opposing team. It's both tragic because of the sheer earth shaking consequences of this and hilarious from sheer stupidity and meaninglessness.

Jews didn't do this one.

Don't forget the greatest part in it's starting. A bunch of anally ravaged turkroaches decided they should kill the Archduke of Austria, but they failed miserably. The only reason he was killed was because one of the assassins was bored and hungry and just so happened to get a sub at the exact location that the duke's car broke down. It's like a fucking Monty Python comedy sketch, except very tragic and very real.

And here I was thinking goons would appreciate shit stirred by neo liberal anarchists.

This is why women shouldn't have rights.

Good old Wikipedia, never missing an oppurtunity to push the poz.

Austria Hungary were right bastards here, Serbia actually accepted all points of the ultimatum they were sent by AH, except for one concerning spies in Serbian territory. AH used this as their cases belli which was regarded. Then Russia tried to step in and negotiate a truce during the July crisis, AH were prepared to listen I think but then GERMANY who had already been called to help started mobilising which was when France mobilised in reaction, and then Britain.

It's always the Germans.

hooktube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY

I faintly remember something along the lines from my big ass Macmillan McGraw textbook history book saying the assassin was lucky or destiny was just fucking cruel that day. Yeah, there was something about blowing the first time then impossibly getting another chance.

Why do anons call them "turkroaches" anyways? All I know about is that one funny as fuck midget, Koksal Baba.

They weren't fucking anarchists or "liberals", they just wanted to not be annexed.

I can see you're a man of learning and facts.

Wait, I don't understand. Are you calling me a goon? What made you say that?

Am I the only person who finds it disrespectful to make a video game based around this war? I would say the same thing about WW2 but the veterans themselves seem to like to glorify it. It just feels wrong to create entertainment and profit off of such a horrible human tragedy.

(sage for double post)
They had way more than one chance. I recall there being 5 or so assassins and every time their attempts failed. For example, they tried to use a five second grenade, but the fuse unlit after it hit the ground. As a backup for getting out of being caught, they used cyanide to kill themselves. Unfortunately the cyanide was outdated and only gave them a stomach ache and vomiting. One assassin decided to jump into a nearby river and take cyanide just to be sure, but the river was only a few inches deep. It's fucked in so many ways that you can't help but laugh at how incompetent they are.

You faggots have been stirring up shit in the region for the better part of 500 years. Half the wars in the Balkans wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Serbs.

No, I feel exactly the same. Something about the horror of WW1 makes it just seem off-limits for entertainment in general.

It reminds you too much of how people usually play RTS games?

Good way of putting it.

LOL?

I don't really think it's disrespectful to show what the war was like, or to put players in a situation where they are forced to face the same challenges that the officers and soldiers did. I mean, it's easy to talk about the waste and brutality, but when you're put in charge of assaulting the enemy line with what they had at their disposal back then it does illustrate why things happened the way they did.

And then, of course, you have Marxist filth like Battlefield 1 where the whole point is for Swedish cucks to shit on as many whites as they possibly can and beg the rest of us to exterminate them.

I can only imagine some poor draftee sitting a flooded, muddy, rat infested trench, contemplating the deaths of all of his closest comrades, and wondering how future generations will look back on this farce of a war. And then the Battlefield 1 trailer plays.

necrovision, (^:
Tannenberg should come out soon, a "standalone expansion" to Verdun

Only disrepectful if it's done like Niggerfield was.

I've got Necrovision and the sequel sitting on my HD, what are they like?

(checked)

Fucking polaks.

Why not try it?

Looks like a mod for coh1 tbh

No video game can do that.

Make sure you finish Chapter 5 of Night by Monday.

Explain

The best thing to do is keep shitting on it. Most people I know dislike the game and I've gotten laughs by adding we wuz in every sentence talking about the game . Even Gun Jesus shat on it for being stupid.

There is a COH1 WW1 mod funny enough.

After being most dedicated servants and allies of the Turks for centuries, nothing remains to distinguish them from their former lords except the variety of eastern semitic superstition they adhere to.

Wait, can you get Zebra mounts in Battlefield 1? Do I have to pay for it as DLC?

Ace of Spades.

It was the Russians that mobilized their army. The German Foreign Minister tried to draft a peace deal but at the same dinner he proposed the plan to the Russian ambassador, the ambassador dropped dead of cardiac arrest. The Russians blamed the Germans for his death and that’s how The bloodiest war in history happened all because a lanky serblet went for a sandwich and some Russian fuck thought that it was a good idea to die at an important meeting.

The Russians mobilised first like the other user said, and the Kaiser thought it wasn't going to be a big deal so he went on his yearly vacation after he made the promise to Austria.

There's some kind of RTS game coming out that looks really similar to your pic, OP. I can't remember what it's called, but it's basically Scythe the Video Game.

It's coming out on consoles too so you know it will be shit. Also, it breaks my heart that it's a fucking RTS game and not an RTT with mech customization. Way to throw all the potential away.

Tannenberg goes into early access this Wednesday.

I got confused because the group they worked for was called The Young Turks (lel) and their specific subgroup was The Black Hand (lel again)

There's an old TBS named "Historyline 1914-1918"
Embed related

Iron Harvest.

Y'know, it wouldn't have been such a bad idea if there'd been a little plate with a latch or something to cover the hole when you want to use it as a shovel.

Holy shit this game looks good.

Good old Ubisoft, pushing WE WUZ WW1 even before EA sunk their kike claws into it.

It's ongoing meme that Serbs are Turks because they were ruled by Ottomans for 350+ years.
But actual genetic studies don't really support that.

"I set the mouth of the pistol at the man's temple -he was too frightened to move – while my other fist grabbed hold of his tunic, feeling medals and badges of rank. An officer; he must have held some command post in these trenches. With a plaintive sound, he reached into his pocket, not to pull out a weapon, but a photograph which he held up to me. I saw him on it, surrounded by numerous family, all standing on a terrace.

It was a plea from another world. Later, I thought it was blind chance that I let him go and plunged onward. That one man of all often appeared in my dreams. I hope that meant he got to see his homeland again."

I didn't fucking need this today with my depression apparently acting up or some shit. I just remembered people having to be careful about not getting in trenches with their bare feet for entire fucking days and mustard gas being hell for anyone dumb enough to get caught in it. Thanks.

Why do the faggots in the industry have to be so fucking horrible something as bad as Sonic Forces can now exist?

Nice blog.

Someone here ought to buy it on release so I can see if it's as bad as Verdun.

It's hurt…

I mean I love the time period because I'm a Historian, and I would like a game that captures the horror of the First World War but goddamn I get not wanting to make a game set during that time period because all game devs/publishers will fuck it up.

This is how fucking retarded you actually are.

Verdun really needs a new engine.

perfect

I wish the First World War had never happened

It was that kind of thinking that made WW I the greatest piece of black comedy in the history of mankind.

To be fair no one though WW1 would turn into the clusterfuck it became. Everyone was expecting a swift victory, or at the very least a replay of 19th century wars. Granted, people should have paid more attention to the American Civil War and the Russo-Japanese War, but you always prepare to fight the last war you fought, not a future one.

Well, I mean, the British and French(Rothschild puppets) not wanting the Germans to set up that oil deal with the Turks played a big role in starting the war.

idk about essential but Running with Rifles with one of the WW1 mods tickles the 'tism of WW1 combat for me

I'd recommend Battle of Empires, it's Men of War with a WW1 skin, and it does a pretty good job of it.

They're mediocre shooters, but I enjoyed them. The closest comparison would be Painkiller, with less silly weapons.

We need to stop hoping for things in case vidya gets even worse.

Fixed.

I remember Holla Forums bitching more that everyone seems to think that WW1 was only fought in the Western trenches ignoring Eastern, Balkans, African, Asian and even fronts in South America.

It went even further than that, the general public seems to ignore aspects of the Western Front itself, let alone notice all the fucking around in the Alps and Middle East. The average schmuck will only be able to tell stories about mass infantry waves getting shelled to pieces in no-man's-land or gassed in trenches. Maneuver warfare of 1914, underground sapper combat, the development of strategic bombing and rudimentary combined-arms tactics simply don't exist to them.

Now thanks to BF1 people will believe that armor-plated infantrymen storming along with light machineguns was a typical sight in 1918

It does but this doesn't look too bad.

And that is the biggest tragedy of the abortion that was BF1. Fuck EA and their money grubbing jewhands.

Any manipulating tensions afterwards might have been Jewry, but the spark, Black Hand assassinating Ferdinand to keep Serbia independent, inherently wasn't. It was a matter of nationalism and extremism. Also, WW1 was the result of secret alliances that dragged everyone in that didn't even care, which were banned after it, otherwise Serbia or Austria-Hungary would have just killed the other and been done with it or even just fought each other while the rest of the world watched.

And how did that faggot think he was going to sow anarchy?

Fuck off.
Fuck right off.

I thought there was an NDA for alpha players.

It's better than I expected, but they should have removed the squad level system.

Without WWI we wouldn't have eventually received the saviour of mankind, der fuhrer

And how'd that work out fam?

Ideas are bulletproof, sadly in some cases.

do I even need to add context to this image anymore
>>>Holla Forums

Hippies had it right. Hemp rope is natural and easily recyclable.

You triggered, boy?

lmao

I hate how AAA studios use the "we want to respect history and honor those who fought during WW1" marketing trick while adding a lot of historical revisionism to please the [current year] advocates.
Activision was doing a series of interviews with veterans for November 11th while promoting their shitty WWII shooter (it's on their youtube channel). If these poor men knew that the game featured strong black female allied and nazis on the battlefield, they would be pissed off.

And whatcha gonna do about it?

lmao everyone who can fled russian in the 90s after communist kikes imploded and the borders were opened

here your home:
>>>/4chan/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/google/
crawl back to your communist kike sites and piss yourself as you always do

no, are you triggered boi?

Didn't Hitler only survive WW1 because some American or British Soldier saved him

Absolutely.

I found it on their forums, aside from that I don't mind that whole squad system.

Back in the day, Red Baron by Dynamix was awesome. In the career mode, once you got promoted to Rittmeister (or captain if you played on the allied side), you'd be given a personal aircraft which you could paint with your personal colors. It was from this game where I learned that Herman Göring was a fighter pilot.

Fucking retards.

Darkest of Days has a satisfying segment that happens on the Eastern front during Tannenberg.
Darkest Hour has a WW1 scenario.
End game Victoria.
Necrovision.

Just don't expect FPS's since going over the top and dying in 5 seconds isn't fun.

Looks better than I thought it would be but I hope they don't cave in and add sniper rifles. That was one of the worst things they ever did to Verdun.

Henry Tandey indeed relates that a weary German soldier wandered into Tandey's line of fire. The enemy soldier was wounded and did not even attempt to raise his own rifle. Tandey chose not to shoot. The German soldier saw him lower his rifle and nodded his thanks before wandering off. That soldier is purported to have been Adolf Hitler.

Now, its extremely doubtful that this was Hitler considering the supposed date and place where this is said to have happened (28th of Sept, 1918 outside of Marcoing – a French village) conflicts with the fact that Hitler took his second period of military leave of two weeks on September 10th, so he'd have been in Germany at the time.

Yet interestingly enough, Hitler has gone on record a fair number of times in the earlier stages of his Chancellorship – during meetings with the late Neville Chamberlain of the UK, for instance – in which he supported the story unconditionally. In all likelihood? Hitler simply supported the myth because it makes for a good war-story.

I mean, Hell, if there's some Brit out there who gets his five minutes of fame by claiming how he met you – and chose to spare your life in a fit of compassion – then why not run with it? It can serve as just another rare example of the boundless humanity and mutual respect the soldiers on all sides of the war had.

You should take a look at the modern shovels

this game was ok at best

Maybe a screw up in the records? It's war time so it would be understandable for someone to screw up the paperwork for one soldier. Or maybe the paperwork went through and he never did actually go back to Germany? Who knows? Still an interesting war story to tell.

A "realistic" FPS could work if, instead of being a single character, you were actually a military unit, and the number of soldiers are your "lives". The game would be divided into turns, before each turn you get your objective and plan your assault, equip your soldiers, direct how each squad will proceed and where they will go and then initiate the attack. Each time your character dies you move to another one in the squad, and if they are all wiped out you switch to the next squad etc.

That second pic is fucking gold.

On it's own just the assertion that Trump supporters are now his enemies is lolworthy at its base as it's so wide of the mark but then you add all the other mistakes he's wilfully made and they stack up into a self fulfilling prophecy where you'd hope anyone who did vote for Trump *would* stomp his pretentious faggot ass out just for being such a witless pinkheaded retard who wants millions of people to hate him.

He should have stayed home and shaved on inauguration day, then booked an appointment to get some men's glasses and another to get those rotten lobes stitched back together.

You're overreacting a smidge.

Truth hurts.

Technically it wasn't the russians but Hitler himself who is at fault for the collapse of the eastern front, specifically Stalin- and Leningrad (also the Battle at Kursk '43, but it may or may not have been to late to turn the tide at that point already) were where he fucked up
They decided to lay siege on Leningrad while assaulting Stalingrad head-on. The correct tactic would've been assaulting Leningrad and sieging Stalingrad until everyone starved inside.

If they captured Leningrad then the Finns would've attacked the Sowjets and the whole northern front would've been held by them, allowing the germans to redeploy the soldiers to other fronts and bolster their numbers there. Hitler was aware of the Finns intentions and all his generals told him to do it this way, his habit of ignoring them - which allowed them to steamroll the french before - was their undoing.
What happened in Stalingrad is widely known, the germans got encircled and were under constant artillery fire from the other side of the river. With attempts to bust the cauldron from outside failing horribly. The commander of the troops I think it was Friedrich Paulus inside requested very early to break out and regroup outside for another offensive but it got denied by Hitler. Unlike some other more daring commanding officers he decided not to disobey the order and remained inside, effectively dooming 500.000 Wehrmacht soldiers. It is now known that a early breakout attempt would've been undoubtly successful.

This together with the africa campaign (most soldiers there were supposed to be on the Ostfront), which could've been completely prevented if Hitler had Mussolini on a tighter leash, was one of the - if not THE - main reasons why the germans lost World War 2.

Nice memes.
The Soviet Army alone mobilized 3 times more men than the Germany Army, and that the British and American armies were of the same size of that of Germany. The French Army was about 80% that of Germany, in 1940.
Not to mention the Equipment production, the Soviets were backed by material supplies from the USA (same case with the Chinese) and had literally millions of slaves at their disposal, including at former russian colonies - they conscripted half of all the men in Armenia, a population of 1,320,000. In contrast, Germany's economy was LEVELLED at the end of World War I and it had to be rebuilt near from scratch.

B-BUT MUH SOVIETS WON THE WAR
>every single country in the entire world, save for Tibet, Ireland (kinda), Spain, Portugal, Sweden, and Afghanistan fought against the Axis of Germany, Japan, Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Thailand (kinda).

Every german soldier was worth up to 10 soviet soldiers
If the germans didn't lose so much manpower in africa and the east then they'd had enough material and manpower to fend off the Normandy Invasion if thats what you're implying.
Also none of this really contradicts what I said. I only stated that bad tactical decisions on the german side were responsible for their loss. If they didn't commit these errors then they could've easily defeated the soviets, even with the lend-lease program.

Don't you just love burger armchair historians?

phew we are saved, the neutrals are here

I call em as I see them and you meine freunde are so full of grade-A shit I wouldn't know where to begin. Probably with the google cache image being muh proof. It's like you're badly quoting one of those discount revisionist history books as an excuse to spout memes.

I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator.

I don't save work-unrelated images on my work computer, I only switched over to my private one at
example?

Example of what? Me being dumb enough to wallow in your shit for the next two hours after calling it out as such? I came here to laugh at you not rise to your bait.

But fine, I'll throw you a kibble and call it a day. In the end less than 100.000 German soldiers of the 6th army surrendered and Hitler wasn't the one to suggest they remain but rather experienced staff officers led by Manstein who believed they could A: break the pocket and B: that it could provoke an outright rout which Soviets would exploit and cause much higher casualties. Leningrad was a key production site for all kinds of heavy industry not limited to steel forges and tank and artillery plants, and unlike Stalingrad (and the oil fields behind it) they didn't have a need to rush it.

I-tais were plain incompetent being the only army that both Austro-Hungary beat like a drum in WW1 and Ethiopia in the 30s. They also constituted a vast, vast majority of the Afrika Korps.

I don't give a flying fuck about your personal life or why you believe that faking some shit will strengthen your arguments. Arguments are built on facts and yours are garbage at best.

Yes, surrendered. I admit I made a mistake with the total amount of german soldiers present in Stalingrad, it was 330.000. no excuse for that. But these 100.000 do not account for the soldiers that were already dead when the Wehrmacht surrendered.
All the sources I have state that the Führer gave the order to hold out.
stalingrad-feldpost.de/Daten/Daten1/Daten-Kessel/daten-kessel.html
bundesarchiv.de/oeffentlichkeitsarbeit/bilder_dokumente/03378/index.html.de (german government / archive.is/fijOy)
gottfriedrinker.bplaced.net/stalingrad.html (focuses on a certain soldier who went missing in Stalingrad, side information)

They did, as I said the Finns were waiting combat ready for Leningrad to fall. If they rushed it then the germans could have diverted the entire northern front to other hotspots.

Nonetheless there were still quite a few german units deployed there, including Erwin Rommel who also could've been deployed on the eastern front instead if it wasn't for the italians.

You keep accusing me of faking stuff yet you don't go into detail. I admit the number of germans was incorrect, that was a stupid mistake of me that I could've prevented.

So Germany didn't lose WW2 then?

Drown yourself, please. Adults are talking.

No I read it, you just seemed to be in denial that the Soviets pushed the Germans back after their sieges and Blitzkriegs. Which was one of the factor that pretty much spelled out Germany's doom.

The fact that you're arguing that the Soviets had outside help and more numbers and etc., is essentially you trying to make excuses and being in denial that Germany's armies were starting to get their shit pushed in.

No, you didn’t. If you had read it, you wouldn’t have said what you did.
No, which is why I know you didn’t read it. That wasn’t said.
Thanks solely to unconstitutional US lend-lease and nothing else.
No, you’re just illiterate and don’t know what those phrases mean.
Thanks entirely to unconstitutional US lend-lease. The soviets were incapable of doing this on their own.

And yet it still happened, and Germany was still pushed out from the Russia. Truth hurts lad.

>>>/reddit/

Please tell me there's a version with someone dubbing over this "as seen on TV" style.

Just pirate it, fag.

this has become my new favorite war-time song. i played it in my community band back in the spring, hear it all the time in verdun and the wasted land, just recently played it again for a veteran's day thing, it's just a top song all around.

This is just a plain lie. Germany was, from the countries who were initially involved in the war, the last power to mobilise its armies and the last one to break down peace negotiations. But keep believing ebbin XD:D:D /commypol/ webms on the internet. The first country who mobilised its army for a big war was Britain by the way, whole six months before the war has even started.

Bump, Tannenberg was just released.

I'd rather not play it at all if that's the level of jewery was around during the games designing.

So is it any shit?

Iron Storm

WWI: The Great War (Blitzkrieg stand-alone)
Rise of Flight
Iron Grip : Warlord (for the Dieselpunk feeling)

An RTS. Haven't played it in a very long time.

This is decent if you really like the Blitzkrieg games. It's slow and methodical, and unfortunately infantry is really vulnerable, like in regular Blitzkrieg. Also, you can really tell that some of the people making missions had a decent idea of what WW1 was and others didn't. On some missions you'll have real battles with realistic armies and objectives, and then in the next you'll be fighting German tanks in 1914.
Oh, and Iron Grip is fucking dead. The developer seems to have disappeared from the net.

I still play Blitzkrieg to this day. I recognize it hasn't aged well. But the sheer amount of mods and add-ons is staggering. I think they cover every front of every war since 1914.

I know. I had accounts on Marauders and March of War. All gone now… Like tears in the rain.
Warlords is still playable.

I can't help but laugh at this picture. I imagine he's laughing and making some silly comment

He's laughing because otherwise he'll probably end up thinking about all the times he nearly died

Oh is user butthurt? All that BBC in your ass is what usually is that cause of that

Necrovision was a very fun horror shooter. About half way through the game you become a necromancer, too. I wouldn't call it essential, but it's very cool.

I remember they had like 20 spells mapped to the same number key, that was annoying as fuck, the whole point of mapping weapons to keys is so you don't have to scroll through a bunch of shit you don't want to use. they should have just allowed you to bind them to individual hotkeys, goddamn. Good game otherwise, I felt the sequel was better but I can't elaborate on that since it's been several years since I played them.

mein negro

I haven't finished the second game, but I found the first to be fun. The dragon mission had so much wasted potential

WW1 kicked off a century of violence that would destroy Europe, leave its old values in wreckage and ready to be replaced by consumer capitalism or totalitarian communism.

Ace of Spades

Unironically this.

jesus what happened while i was gone

You mean Slavs.

That's factually why the fighting started. Everyone got dragged in because of alliances.

Oh yeah some guys are making a WWI standalone mod for Day of Infamy.
moddb.com/mods/ww1-source/news/screaming-steel-changing-vanilla
Supposed to come out in December.

The question is, could you make a WWI FPS game that accurately plays out as spending 95% of your time in a trench trying to keep yourself healthy (which could effect running speed, accuracy, response time) and not getting a illness from the horrible conditions, listening out for gas shell attacks and then 5% HIGH INTENSITY action of running across no man land, shooting the enemy while a bunch of your comrades get shot and or even drown in mud all in a vain effort to get to the next trench to push forward because no one has invented the tank yet.

Did Africans even try to domesticate them and use them like horses?

No one is going to fucking use that for actually slicing up food, especially after you digging through the dirt
ANY FUCKING SHOVEL CAN DO THAT!

WWI-RP
dig trenches and tunnels and trade cigarettes for better biscuits

Aces of Spades then?

But day of infamy is putrid shit. A a shit copy of DoD, I bought it and insta refunded it.

Anime girl WW1 game when?

Why? You could say the same about WW2, and in fact I'd argue WW2 is way worse, because of the massive amount of civilian casualties. This might sound wrong, but soldiers are "supposed" to fight and die. They are expendables. Now, there is more to warfare depending on the period, but the World Wars had come about in a time where materialism > higher ideals. Tired, but point is the only time I would agree is when

To be honest, it felt pretty par for the course when it comes to mid 2000s railroad vehicle segments.

So is Tannenberg worth getting? Also gonna bump the thread

Not yet.

Isn't there already a WW1 Sauce Engine Mod?

Hell no, you keep those fags like your life depends on it. You go steal the good biscuits when your captain tells you to get his swagger stick

Not in any sort of large or widespread scale. If they had they would have ended up with completely domesticated zebras.

There is Rule the Waves, which is about designing ships. It's not strictly about WW1 but it does extremely good job of capturing the frustration that was late victorian era naval design and construction process.

and the serbroach shitposts again

But zebras are notoriously difficult to domesticate.

As were horses and bovines at some point, some bovines being size of a small elephant and fairly aggressive to the point where fuckers ended up in Mediterranean folk-lore. Yet europeans managed to do it. There was nothing stopping africans from doing it except their own nature.