Ultima Underworld Unity

Just thought I'd share this with you guys.
github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter/releases

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/hankmorgansa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nah just play the original on a dos pc.

No

Can you go be a faggot someplace else? I'm actually happy so many old gems are getting open source ports with bugfixes and improved performance.

Is UU hard to run in DOSBox or something?

What's wrong with an enhanced port?

Nothing, I guess I just didn't realize that there was any demand for it. I'm not complaining, just (pleasantly) surprised.

No, but this remake runs much smoother, looks nicer and has mouse look.

Neat. I plan on (finally) playing UU this spring. Maybe I'll use this when I do.

to be honest, I admire the effort, but unless you are desperate to play on higher resolutions this does not seem ideal, I mean, look at those UI cutouts

Do you know if they plan on adding support for the sequel?

reported, the Ultima® franchise is a copyrighted property of Electronic Arts™, we fellow gamers must stand against this blatant infringement.

The sequel and System Shock support.

I think that's some fullscreen option. I can't figure out how to make it look like that though. Here's a screenshot off it I just took.

according to the website, it supports UU2 already. SS1 has barebones support

UU2 is partially playable and doesn't support saving, according to the launcher he made for this.

UU either runs at a very low frame rate or if you turn up the cpu cycles in DOSBox it runs smooth but you get some weird behavior. The water currency for example is stronger the faster the cpu is.

Thanks, OP. I've been wondering if something like this existed.

What a cool demake.

This is great, I've been wanting to play this game for a while but it runs like such shit that I've never completed a playthrough, even if it's just the exact same game with a more stable framerate it will be great, but adapting the controls and UI to more modern standards, or utilizing modern systems available to build a better smoother user experience would be great.

Things that can be fixed.

No. Shit controls.

t. nodev

Nice get.

t. unity """"""""dev""""""""

You can drag and drop the interface when using fullscreen.

Why did it take over 20 years for people to start giving a shit about Ultima Underworld? I feel like Doom and Elder Scrolls stole it's thunder when they came out, dooming it to obscurity.

It's like the video game version of The Yardbirds. It didn't have a lot of fanfare in its time (or at least, not an amount proportional to how groundbreaking it was), but a lot of the people who made it or enjoyed it went on to do other projects that were inspired by it.
It took a long time for that insider/developer respect to make its way into consumer consciousness, even among Holla Forumsirgins.

I'm honestly surprised.

Very nice user. I haven't played this is such a long time I am really looking forward to playing it because even my old desktop from 15 years ago was having trouble getting it to run. Now I can finally take a break from new shit and go back to the games that shaped my youth.

I always had this sneaking suspicion that Bethesda uses gorilla marketing tactics to keep discussion of these games on the low so as to keep up the facade that they invented the "first person 3d RPG" genre. There's a reason they bought id and Arkane.

Anyone got a download for the original because it needs it?

>twitter.com/hankmorgansa
Author retwteets anti-trump and anti-brexit tweets. Do not download, play DOS version.

Fuck off.

Aside from all negative retweets about drumpf, the only positive retweet about him he made was the one about his antisemitic speech. The author is a liberal jew.

Fuck off.

Here he's retweeting refugees welcome post.

Cry harder, bitch. Your whore lost.

Piss off.. No one is giving the guy any money.

interesting number.

why not 88?

Honestly, if it pisses people off this much, why doesn't one of us just fork it? It's under the MIT license for fucks sake.

Its not for you, its for people who care i warn them to not waste your time on liberal digital feces.

All he's doing is porting a good game to a modern engine for free. Quit being so dramatic.

I only care about this stuff if I actually have to pay the author and sustain his daily starbucks dose

but this dude is literally DOING IT FOR FREE, are we seriously going to be the twitter gaystapo of every person who is slightly Holla Forums related? fuck off

I think a big component, at least surrounding Doom) was that Doom was easier to run of lesser hardware thanks to its optimization and zero slope coding. Add to the fact that it's easier to hop into, less clunky to manage even in the days of keyboard movement, and was more available with the shareware build meant it was in more people's eyes and lips

I'll admit the fourth one is kinda funny, but yeah this guy seems to be an ass developer.

Is underworld ascendant gonna be good or bad?

It's Current Year+2, and the ride never ends. You tell me.

There's a lingering hope that it's going to be an exception. Not to imply I'm buying it or anything, just saying that if it happened to be good then I'd be glad

I'll buy it if it's good. I just have no hope of it being good.

5th picture looks like a Congress better than the one we currently have

less Jew facial characteristics

Just play the dos version. If you cant get over the framerate issues you dont deserve to play it.

Why would you play this? Ultima was absolute shit until 7.

what is it with ports and "updating the graphics" which typically results in mucking up the entire game aesthetic?

I only like new textures/renders in total conversion mods ala doom

ultima 6/7 and UU1 are good

Ultima online is good, and ultima 5 isn't bad at all

Agreed, fuck this faggot. If anyone starts bitching about everything being political these days then fuck you, too - we didn't start this shit. Zero tolerance for communists and traitors.

Scum like you don't deserve to play it in the first place.

I'm not giving the guy any money, why would I care?

Not really but it has a bunch of DOS era shit practices like tying game logic to framerates without actually having a frame limiter and the usual warping and limited viewport of a 2.5D game.

Nigga it was fucking huge. People just don't talk about Ultima in general because the series just wasted away while something like TES or Doom still get games or have a very active modding community around it.

This isn't a source port. Ultima Underworld's source code has never been released. It's an engine recreation made in Unity

The reason it's done in Unity is due to the vast amount of documentation available for the engine.

Thanks, EA.

No problem, just call me
GUARDIAN

The guy seems like an idiot libtard. That aside is he charging money for this, is he shoving two scoops of DRUMPF in the project. If he can stfu about it when it comes to the project, meh do what you choose.

I'll give it a shot, thanks OP.