Monitor thread

So I think my 6 year old Dell is on the way out and I need a replacement. Only problem is the monitor industry went full jew while I wasn't looking and you can't get a decent one anymore.

Look at this fucking thing, a PG279Q, amazing on paper and it fucking should be for the price. 27", IPS, 1440p fuck 4k, beautiful colours, Hrz out the arse, almost no input lag, G-Sync and a retarded gamer design. Great, only people have been getting the things for years and they're still a fucking mess of backlight bleed and dead pixels with ASUS being cunts about it. It's a thousand dollar lottery and they're not the only company pulling this shit.

Are there gaming monitors out there that don't look like shit and aren't built by incompetent enslaved chimps?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/jWO59
esreality.com/post/2796866/144hz-megaguide-br-x-syncs-busted/
flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1274944436
web.archive.org/web/20150321045531/http://flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1274944436
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025344
logicalincrements.com/monitors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stop looking at those idiot.

Why?

Suitable for gaming better? I had a VA monitor for a long time, I don't want to deal with input lag again.

Because you need a fuckton of power for 4k right now and it makes everything tiny, so you have to deal with Windows scaling shit and it never works properly.

Truly, you are the greatest goy

the best part is their direct competitor acer has the XB271HU same fucking panel with the same shitty QA problems, same stupid gamer aesthetic. might as well be stealing them out of asus trucks and slapping their sticker on it.

going to level with you OP, unless you have the best card available the extra cash would be better spent on a faster card rather than Goy-sync.

I kekked

I'm also looking into a new monitor to replace my old IPS one
I'm looking at the Samsung CFG70 and others with the same panel but it seems like it's the only one that looks plain and doesn't cost way too much, only problem I have is the curved screen because I have no idea how good/bad it looks for everyday use.

Right? It's bullshit. And I tend to buy things to last for years so the G-Sync will eventually become useful. I'm just sick of the screen tearing which is shocking on this Dell. I don't even have a Nvidia card currently, but I'm so sick of Radeon drivers I'm about to throw the fucking thing out the window.

Hell it's not even that important a feature, I was just giving an example of the bullshit I've discovered. I JUST WANT SOMETHING THAT WORKS

God I hate the curved gimmick. I still remember all the flat panel marketing shit we got at the turn of the century and now they want to make them curved again. It's especially stupid for TVs when multiple people are meant to be able to watch at the same time.

I hate how everything is 16:9 now too. Fuck you, 16:10 is great for PCs, but no we have to make using word processors cinematic.

It's even worse now, they've convinced retards that UWD (21:9, 32:9 etc) is actually good and/or useful.

How've you been gypsiefag?

I'm gonna be getting rid of my 16:10 LCD monitors soon (1680x1050), may just trash 'em but I'll try selling them for $25 each, 35 for both. I'm upgrading to a Sony cpd-g220r and I'm still picking out a 10-bit monitor I'd be happy with.

ultrawide is like a shittier version of multiple monitors.

Despite living in the middle of nowhere I have managed to see one of those in person. I can not understand what the fuck you'd ever use them for outside of pretending you're some discount Batman in his cave.

Its suffering I tell you what

I just letterbox, not ideal but better than stretching.

I got a 27 inch Ips monitor for 200$ and I gotta say it's pretty good.

Check the manual for true Hz range. got jewed by dell when they went 75hz on 1280 only.

Wish I could letterbox. THANKS FOR THE SHIT DRIVERS RADEON

In other news some Youtube dipshits opened 20 boxes of the ASUS I mentioned in the OP. Fucking look at this shit, how is this acceptable when you're asking a premium imgur.com/a/jWO59

I just do that via my monitor directly because it allows for 1:1 and fitting to screen while keeping the AR, fuck dealing with the driver settings for that.

Not my old Dell it doesn't. I can do 5:4 though!

Honestly it's the one thing that's shitted me about this monitor, otherwise it's brilliant.

Makes me nervous about my ASUS monitor. I got it for 150 bucks on a sale because it has 144hz capabilities. Works great so far, but only had it for about a year.

I really hope the back light doesn't die.

These are brand new horribly made pieces of shit. If it didn't suck out of the box you're fine, you won the monitor lottery.

Neat. I tried finding the exact model for reference, but I can't find it. If it helps, mine has a 3D graphic on the base of the monitor.

But if what you say is true, then you should probably avoid ASUS altogether.

Well that's the problem, they're all as bad as each other. All chasing marketing bullet points and adding stupid lights rather then making the screens not shit.

Paying high dollar for any monitor right now is a really bad deal.

TN panels have shit colors
IPS panels have that faint glow that effectively puts a bloom affect on everything
Back light bleed on IPS monitors is 10 times the gamble that dead pixels ever were.
Even the fastest IPS panels still have horrendous ghosting, even with strobed backlighting.
HDR is still a complete clusterfuck on PC
Nvidia still refuses to pull their head out of their ass and support free sync

No matter what you get, you're getting shafted in some way. If I was putting money down on a new monitor right now, I'd probably just get a cheap 1440p 144hz TN monitor.

And don't hold your breath for OLED displays to save us. Burn in can't be solved. It's a problem inherent to the organic based components that are used in the individual pixels decomposing over time. The only chance we ever had for good displays in the foreseeable future died with SED tech.

I want two things
I don't give a fuck about color accuracy or built in "gaming" features or resolutions higher than 1080p.
Just high framerate and no fucked pixels.
What do I buy?

What about QLED, Samsung's alternative? I've seen both that and OLED in person and they are fucking gorgeous.

Personally I can live with IPS glow more then I can TN's god awful… well everything that isn't response time. That backlight shit though, fuck.

2560x1080 ultra wide masterrace reporting in.

Ok fuck I should have read that.
What about 1080p 144Hz TN monitor?
I aint no designer or editor well I am, but I don't work at home, I just want to play video games.

Are you even White?

you fell for the meme

what I want to know if monitors have actual decent working backlight support now

Got a better idea for dealing with input lag? I didn't mean it in a marketing sense but people keep going on about it and not giving any alternatives.

what a shame
I absolutely hate ips ghosting and bloom but still want a nice colors.

Did you say wide?

VA monitors had all the colours and none of the glow. They don't seem to really make them anymore. Terrible response times though.

Having 1440 vertical pixels makes this less of an issue, but it's a shame no one makes 16:10 monitors anymore.

I remember reading that the PG279Q and XB271HU have the same panels but that the Acer ones had generally better QC. Both sound sub-par, though.

This, the monitor business is a fucking travesty.

Is freeSync even worth it? Do I really need any monitor faster than 60hz? Is 1080p the best "minimum" resolution?

I'm waiting for a 32" 144hz 4K monitor, hopefully with hdmi 2.1 / display port 1.3 it will be available next year.

Enjoy your input lag and barely any games that actually render in 4K internally. I'm waiting for technology to catch up with the 4K meme before I hop on it.

Any screen is.

I've got an asus mg279. It's ok, but only 1440p, plus it's only 27" wide.

QLED isn't any real new technology, it's just blast processing emotion engine marketing wank.

They're just IPS panels. QLED actually refers to the backlight. It's just that the LEDs used for the backlight are of a higher quality, and give a more pure white light for the IPS panel to filter to make all the colors you see.

Freesync is good, better than goysync.

wat
input lag id independent from resolution, if the monitor hardware has input lag, it doesn't matter what native resolution the display panel is.

Asus vg248qe is what I've got. It's g-sync so that's a minus, but it's 1080p 144Hz and I think it's going for around $160 now. I don't think there's a freesync equivalent unfortunately otherwise I would have bought that instead.

I can't speak for Acer, but Asus has terrible quality control on newer monitors. I had a friend buy the mg279q and had to return it twice before he got one without dead pixels. On older monitors like the one I've got the qc seems to be a lot better though.

Most people can't tell a difference between 60Hz and higher, but if you can it makes a world of difference. The smoothness is amazing. I will never go back to anything below 90Hz. As far as resolution goes, 1080p is great, and it's finally at the point where high refresh rate monitors at that resolution are priced reasonably. 1440p is not at the point where you will get much use out of a high refresh rate monitor without spending $500 alone on a video card, and 4k is still a meme.

i have a 2 monitor setup, but one is dying and i want to make it 3. what should i look out for on black friday? 1080p is good enough, i haven't bit on the 4k meme yet

I got a 144 Hz, 1080p tn monitor
Its bretty gud, calibrating the color was a minor nuisance but I'm pretty happy with it overall, got it for under 200 too

I'm a graphic designer so I have this guy here for work Dell U2715H. Best monitor I have ever used. Only downside is the 8ms response time and the 60Hz, because well, this isn't your pc gayman monitor. But past that, best picture quality you can purchase for a IPS monitor.

I have this monitor and love it. it just werks

1200p masterrace!

Benq still has VA type monitors last I checked.

finding an actual monitor with actual 1ms lag is kind of hard

Newegg had this for 250 burger dollars a while ago so I grabbed it, AOC U2879VF. Apparently has a 1ms response with freesync and at 4K.
how bad did I fuck up

fucked up pretty badly. what are the hz? not like it matters since 4k hits your pc like a fucking train.

Only 60hz looking back probably should have looked a little harder for something at 144hz. 4K at 28 inches does make jewtube and overwatch look nice.
I still have a 1080 viewsonic to fall back in case something won't scale properly.

you're a lost cause man. go get a CRT

I've heard that removing the bezel can resolve some backlight bleed issues, because the companies hired pajeets that designed bezels that put pressure on the panel.

Fucking nvidiots.

user… why are you using an output display and complaining about input lag? Anyone remember when pixel timing and contrast ratios were a first world output display problem?

Many modern non-laptop TN panels are capable of putting out great colors, better than older IPS monitors. What hurts them is the situationally awful color shift. Generally you want tn panels to be 24" or less. Then in normal use it won't be noticeable unless you're trying to display a solid color. But the shift is still there, and you'll never quite feel like you have the monitor positioned exactly right.

Some sellers offer a guaranteed no dead/stuck pixel moniter for a price premium. Might look for ones that declare "pixel perfect" or other variations.
Yes, it is a sad state of affairs when you have to pay a "premium" to get an undamaged product.

Used a CRT until fucking 2013. Only thing I'll miss about that fucking pig was being able spin around in a first person game and not have everything turn to blurry shit.

That's an oxymoron. If you want a quality monitor, you never buy gaming.

user, the most you need with the current state of games and gaming hardware is 1080p 120hz with a good response time.

What even is the point of curved? I heard it's 'supposedly' better for your eyes. To me it just seems like another jewish scheme to wring an extra $100 out of unsavvy shoppers

ill never 4k game
i dont get the appeal
plus im content with this for years to come

user, how long ago did you last look for a monitor, 120hz is dead as fuck now and 144hz is generally the cheapest option by far now.

Im looking for 27'' monitor with 1440p (or 1600p) with decent colors (no TN panel), response time and preferably no or little backlight bleed (my current 6 year old IPS has horrible ips glow which makes playing darker games shit experience)

Any suggestion?

I have a 4-5 year old Eizo Forris FS2333 IPS.
1080p 60Hz, zero backlight bleed. Eizo makes good monitors but they pretty expensive.
Extra points for lack of "gamer" gimicks (on mine at least)

I have the PG278Q, it's that monitors dad it's really good the colors are better than regular TN because 10 bit TN panel. I might wait for OLED to get better before I buy another one.

Definitely, Eizo is never really mentioned but they make some of the best monitors.
I just youtubed the monitor and found this 30 minute review, I watched a bit and this monitor looks to be top notch. It doesn't have ips glow and backlight bleeding like the PG279Q and is real common in ips monitors. He explains how it's caused to due the bezels being tightly pressed against the screen itself and the Eizos intelligently designed to have more loose bezels, seems they thought of everything building this monitor, real impressed. 2 minutes in.
My PG278Q has backlight bleeding it's nothing to lose my shit over, but less is better. The monitor is really well built. I get autistic when I make big purchases and do a lot of reading, I'd advise you do the same. If I were to buy a monitor now, I'd probably get this or an OLED once they become better.

Nope. In fact the direct equivalent competing model by Acer is even worse.

Why not.

It's a marketing meme. Literally existing technology just renamed and with even more flaws.

Disable vsync and aero.

It's cheaper than gsync but nowhere near as good.

There are better. But you have to pay several thousand dollars.

They don't exist. Stop falling for marketing memes. Also response time does not mean input lag. This is display technology 101.

Looks good but it's still 1200 bucks, there's the EV2736WFS which is about half that not sure it's of comparable quality though.

I spent that on a PH278Q. Where did you find the Eizo Foris FS2735? Googles not showing anything and Newegg and amazon don't carry it, it might be discontinued? The EV2736WFS is bretty gud, but don't get 1080p monitor.

LDLC, guess it pays to be yuropoor every once in a while

I dunno user, I've used a 32" TV as my main monitor for over a year and never really been bothered with the low res, on top of that if I'm getting a 144hz monitor I really just want to maximize the framerate and 1440p kinda goes against that

Anyone ever experienced and/or cured monitor burn-in?

I have two horizontal lines across the top of my monitor from freaking CHROME being burned in from overuse.

Actually, yes. There's videos on Jewtube you can use and just let them run an hour or two (or even overnight) full screen. I had a weird burned in flicker don't ask me how that works awhile back caused by a game, doing that got rid of it.

On LCD you generally just power them down for a while and it comes back if it's not permanent (I get those kind of burn-in often from pillarboxing/letterboxing)
You can try the heavily flickering videos/programs to unstuuck grey/dead pixels too.

Looks like what I have. Pretty good. Lots of games don't fucking work at that of course. Dark Souls 3 I had to edit the executable. I always run other stuff at the same time so it's pretty nice. Also some shitty games don't let you move the camera position so coming from a 1920x1440 CRT it was very claustrophobic veritcally.

what about those cheap eizos in around 300 dollars.
its fucking hell wanting any quality while having budget of around 300 euros

ViewSonic XG2401

I would need a pretty powerful rig for 144hz gaming right? That seems the biggest problem for me and second would be I dont really play anything anymore its just I seem to experience blur and ghosting even during browsing.

Depends on the game and what settings you want to run it at. I have a 270 and I can hit 100+ in most games, but I don't play a lot of modern games.

does it get smoother even when not hitting 144? I would be okay with something like 90
and the blurines is vids is caused by vids alone right?

Yeah, 90's noticeable.

Blur could be a few things, my guess is slow response time.

Anyway if you're not sure about 144hz you can always visit a computer store for a demo. Even Costco has them these days.

Yeah. I meant "best picture quality for an IPS monitor you can buy for less than a grand".

If you are paying that much of a premium on a monitor at least pay for one that actually displays 100% of the sRGB colorspace. Good color range and black level has a better impact on overall picture quality than almost any marketing meme I can think of.

I got 6ms. had older monitor with more but it didnt seemed that bad maybe its something with browser.

6ms doesn't necessarily mean much, response time is an easily gimmicked number so what the box says isn't always true.

OLED is the only serviceable screen technology since IPS ghosting is cancer.

yeah but it dies in 4 years so it's kinda garbage too. crt revival when?

Got myself a LG24GM79G, performs fine so far. Not perfect (1 step away from it in terms of blur reduction), but anything better is (((out of production))), and anything newer is (((enhanced))) with gayman features that actually hinder the monitor's performance.
esreality.com/post/2796866/144hz-megaguide-br-x-syncs-busted/

Just two days ago. Walked into a Best Buy while waiting for a friend. For $160 I could buy a 1080p 120hz monitor, better than the average going rate of $250 for a 1080p 144hz. I'm well aware that 144hz has basically forced 120hz out but that doesn't change the fact that it's a meme. The extra 24 frames don't really do much unless you're an esports faggot.

Well if you can find them cheaper sure, but you can't do that everywhere.

Pointless to buy a new monitor now when HDR monitors are coming next year. Unless the release is pushed back..again.

I've been using the same phone with an OLED screen for 5 years and the tech has only improved since. Literally what the fuck are you on about?

OLED is so responsive that it can actually give the appearance of judder when viewing motion. Plasma was actually better at displaying motion.

HDR is a giant meme that makes video games extremely pricey to make.

Well first the OS has to support HDR monitors because apparently the colors get fucked due to such high "nit" value and the extensive use of whites in average use.
Also if your waiting for HDR might as well wait for OLED too.

What? How does using a wider contrast and color output make a game other than perhaps make a game downscale to SDR screens any more expensive?

These faggots hired a guy specifically for that shit.

Nonsense. It's not even that difficult to implement.

Got me there. Never knew video games developers never had someone to make sure their games didn't look like shit on TVs.

At the right monitor size (27") you get more work space and it's basically the highest resolution (barring 1600p, etc) you can go without having to turn your head to see parts of the screen and without having to resort to dpi scaling. The only downside is when using applications/viewing media intended for 1080p screens (1080p YouTube videos, desktop backgrounds, etc).

They don't even have to redo assets unless something is pre-rendered. They were solely tweaking lighting "for various displays". Seriously, they are making HDR look harder to implement than it is. Considering the time and money publishers put into advertising ,HDR implementation is nothing.

You mean like almost all of the UI elements of Windows 7, 8 and 10? Which don't scale properly past 1080p?

Why is microsoft full of fucking retards that have the forward thinking mentally of niggers?

Its just a bit of color correction and SDR compatibility which should be a staple of devolping games since HD tvs came to the scene.

What doesn't scale properly? I get it not working when using dpi scaling, but simply running 1440p resolution at 1x scaling doesn't seem to cause me issues.

I have a PG279, it's really nice, and mine has no dead pixels or any other issues. But it's also absurdly expensive. I mostly bought it for the low latency, if you're not playing shooters then it's probably not worth it.

You still don't need anything more than 1080p right now if your focus is gaming. Best tell us your budget OP and what you're looking for like minimum refresh rate and whether you want freesync/gsync or not.

For a good gayman monitor, mandatory features for optimal enjoyment of your stories poisoned by the Jews:

- 120hz+
- gsync (freesync for poorfags)
- 16:9
- low-latency

Good but not necessary:

- 1440p
- IPS

Mistake tier:

- ultra-wide

Always design your system to hit 120fps+ in current games, so don't go 1440p if you aren't also going with the equivalent of a GTX 1080 or better. The people who tell you that >60fps doesn't matter are jelly foxes and you should ignore them. Latency is incredibly important but you need to know to ignore the "1ms latency!" bullshit. It's impossible to distill latency response into a single number as there are varying delays per color transition and all LCDs are still pretty slow. Look for reviews that include some sort of real world blur testing like ye olde ufo from blur busters. Ignore ULMB, it's an interesting technology but is difficult to use in the real world and will give you eye strain.

what about those 250hz zowies.

What's wrong with 4k and ultrawides?

lol must suck being poor

But if you draw or design, you NEED ips for the color accuracy.

Limited improvements under 27" with massive impact on performance
Having to deal with scaling
Having to get a 1080ti SLI to get acceptable framerates

HMD prices without HMD levels of immersion when the primary drive behind UWD is immersion if it wasn't you could just use multi monitor
no support for your meme-tier AR enjoy being part of the group of fags who cry about lack of support for your sub-1% market share AR
panel lottery

4k can barely be pushed to a reliable 60fps let alone 144fps with a single GPU and there aren't any good 144hz 4k monitors yet anyway. Give it two years or so. Acer and Asus are targeting 2018.
Ultrawide is just absolutely fucking stupid as you're burning teraflops to render pickles you barely even perceive. You're not in a goddamn movie theater, you have control over the camera, put the pixels where you can see them.

Never use SLI. If this was a GPU thread that'd be #1 in 'Mistake tier'. Get the fastest single GPU you can get but go no further.

This is a gayman thread, gaymen do not draw or design anything, they consume poison until they either cut their dicks off or die of diabetes.

You mean, if they don't get accused of sexual harassment that happened 30 years ago first?

Anybody know what to get if you want a 3440x1440 monitor? I'm sick of having 2 different sized monitors with a bezel in the middle of my view and I recently started saving up. Pic related is really good but has a lot of dumb stuff like speakers. Anyone?

What was it you were playing that you were using that for?

Not much playing just modeling and gamedevving.

I bought myself a Acer Predator XG270HUomidpx and let me tell you a few things. 27" is sexy, at this point I would say the bigger, the better. 144hz is also sexy. 1440p is very nice for editing, you say fuck 4k but I would honestly not dismiss it. For gaming it surely sucks because you need better hardware and barely notice a difference, buuuuut it's very nice for video and photo editing. I make a lot of webm's and 1440p is a huge improvement over 1080 and I can only assume that 4k makes it even easier. A second monitor would probably help too.

Don't buy a freesync screen, I bought one but can't even make use of it because AMD sells no good graphic cards right now. Also TN is gay, buy ips.

I have a Dell ultrasharp I bought a few years ago and it's still really good although the input lag is shit. I want to get a new monitor, I have money and I'd like to splurge a bit. Ideally I'd like 1440p IPS with 100% color range and as little input lag with no backlight bleed. Seems it's impossible to find a good monitor these days, every monitor has it's faults.

You'll probably have to sacrifice something. You can get 1440p IPS low-latency, but at the cost of color range and inconsistent backlight.

Shit, that's real hard to choose from. I suppose I could give up some color accuracy for less input lag because I can feel the difference between low input lag and high input lag, makes some games unplayable.

I've got two sex predators (XB271HU) which are great 1440p 144hz IPS gsync monitors, but for photography they're suboptimal due to the backlight inconsistency creating phantom gradients. It's pretty minor compared to the other gayming monitors I've had and it'd probably not be noticeable outside of professional image work but it's there.

Oh, seems they're already out. I've been waiting for these damn things to appear after Asus and Acer delayed theirs into next year.
Well, fuck that. I don't have an AMD GPU and Vega is a disappointment for the higher end. I guess it was exclusively the Gsync HDR monitors that got delayed until 2018. Shame, since the Gsync is the better solution, only more costly being a monitor hardware solution. Hopefully the delay is to update the Gsync chips to make them cheaper so they don't jack up the monitor prices as bad. Doubtful.

No thanks

I am laughing at you right now.

This is moronic. Then it'd be pointless to buy a HDR monitor next year coz something else will be coming out after that too.

No 4k displays do integer scaling.
99% of content is 1080p.
Therefore scaling a 1080 image up to 4k introduces massive amounts of blurring/filtering. There are a dozen other problems like the gpu requirements.

What do you want? OLED? Some of the best selling HDR televisions are LCD (QLED) because the peak brightness can be brighter than the sun whereas with OLED it cannot.

Yeah that backlight is a dealbreaker for that and the OPS monitor. I'm gonna keep looking or wait a bit longer.

Freesync and Gsync are a meme, if you're not a pleb and have a proper system that runs games at above 60fps there is zero need for them. They only stop tearing at lower fps.

Best selling doesnt equal best visually. Also I care more about accurate blacks than brightness.

For huge resolution + refresh rate Gsync and Freesync would actually be useful since most consumer hardware can still fail to push 144Hz at 4K.

I have two water-cooled 1080 Ti in SLI and the Witcher 3 still only goes to 78-88 fps. If I tried using a Freesync 4K 144Hz monitor Freesync would be useless on my Nvidia hardware and the best I could do is Adaptive Vsync Half-Refresh stuck at 72Hz or else lower the resolution to something that could do 144Hz reliably.

I do as well. Doesn't mean QLED is not viable. I own a 4K OLED TV (LG C6) and even I can admit that the lower cost of QLED alone is a major plus.

Thats true OLED from what I remembering reading still have a high failure rate at the manufacturing process. cheeky cunt I tried to pose my response so that it wouldn't be seen as favorable to nigs

Monitor HDR is a meme as it's currently based on LED arrays with local dimming rather than improvements to per-pixel range. 10 bit color is great but very few games support it and that's unlikely to change before you replace the monitor you're shopping for. As such, 10 bit color on displays without a wide gamut is a meme. 10 bit + wide tends to be pricey because people using them for professional work have deeper pockets of their utility in professional work. But properly encoded 100 year old women who only look like lolis so it's ok will look nice.

I don't know who told you that but they're wrong.
It sounds like you were listening to plebs who have monitors only capable of 60fps and are massively overspending on their GPU so at no time is the game below 60, then they throw it in vsync and call it a day. That's just dumb. gsync/freesync allow you to push higher quality with the same GPU as you don't have to worry about dips that fall below refresh.

When it can be just as light as LED backlit LCD panels so there can be more of it packed in shipping containers. And yes I have used CRTs until 2009 even for non gayming stuff. And no, they're not coming back en masse unless there is a huge leapfrog that makes it competitive with LCD based tech including the economics side of things.

Yeah OLED for larger screens, bigger than phone sized still seems a bit of a crapshoot, maybe it will improve further but we'll see.
The fuck did he hit that nigger with that made him drop like a sack of potatoes. Sheeit if it's a bongo drum that is sheer pottery.

user please…. we don't get that much new content every year. There wasn't a huge improvement in 2015 to 2016, or from last year to this year. that said, if it's good or not is a entirely different thing.

SED would have had it not been for lawsuits delaying it until the opportunity was gone.

I believe it was a ukulele but I can't find the source

Why live?

And it is pretty much gone and ded. While I would like to see a new display tech that say uses the latest type of gorillaglass or such, without being much heavier than LED lit LCD, with only slightly higher power consumption than LED lit or the same. Maybe a 50-100$ premium difference due to panel sizes, and has all the advantages that CRT had without the drawbacks. Until that magically appears LCD based display is what most of the market went with and more easily available.

CRT and SED's ded jim.
flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1274944436
web.archive.org/web/20150321045531/http://flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1274944436

Hmm, it doesn't look like it from the way he's holding it. It would be funny if it was a ukulele but looks very similar to a bongo drum to me.

Budget is whatever it needs to be.

Unfortunately, what I want doesn't exist according to everyone in this thread.

A good monitor?

Pretty much.

For something so vital the hardware industry sure treats it like shit.

I think I'm late for the thread but here's my recommendation.

Decent price, 34" ultrawide, great for games and movies, not so much for browsing the internet because it looks weird but it's not a big deal to be honest.

Plus the Freesync will go great if you made the right decision bought an AMD RX 4XX or 5XX.

Yeah either it looks good on paper but its practically a gamble if it works or its shit with bad colors or light bleeding or shit refresh rate.

I forgot the fucking link: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025344

What's wrong with that? It has to be a leap from 1920x1080 to x1440 or, god forbid, 4K? It's a nice middle ground.

You know what, fuck it, I'm putting down my impossible dream.

16:10 either 24"/1200p or 27"/1600p with a 1:1 option in the OSD
Great colour
Great viewing angles
High refresh, I don't care about fastest just something nice
Minimal input lag
Quality build with no bleeding or other bullshit most delusional part of this
Something that deals with screen tearing

That's it, that's all I want. As it is 16:10 is practically non-existent. Colour and angles means IPS (OLED is wonderful but impractical) which means they're a fucking mess quality wise as they'd rather put useless lights all over the base.

What you're looking for exists, if you're ready to spend professional medical monitor money. (around 30-50k)

So I need to make a game that'll appeal to autistic children before I can afford a proper monitor. Great.

If your going to make a mistake go all the way

wtf

It's effect user. EFFECT.
You could, whoever, say that bloom effect, AFFECTS your monitor.

Now I want to ask what the best position is to avoid future hand problems.

flat and straight wrist.

Almost all pieces of tech have some retarded mistakes like that. Sometimes they deliberately do this stuff to make things last less, for instance the samsung galaxy s3 had horrible thermal design and the battery was right besides the cpu so it cooks its own battery to death making samsungfags buy new batteries constantly.

Thanks user, i might need a boobie pad to keep this position from hurting.

4k vs 2k? 27 vs 24 inch? I'm currently dual-monitor 24inch 1080s I got cheap 2 years ago. I'm not entirely sold that 4k is worth the pricetag yet, but I have been saving up some cash for the sales this year. Also I am gunning for 144hz, if that matters.

Really? I had an S3 for 2 years and never had that problem. Then again I wasn't a "mobile gamer"

What is even going on here.

I got a MG278Q on sale a year ago.
Best purchase ever.
People shit all over freesync, but it does make a difference.
Flicker free backlighting also saves my eyes.

Whatever you do, never buy a monitor without seeing it in store first. Faggots complaining about backlight bleed wouldn't have the problem if they just tested the shit before buying it.

A 1440p 27" display is the equivalent of two 1366x768 displays side by side in portrait.
The ultra wide screen meme is shit for reading.

Thinking of buying a new monitor with my hard earned gbp's but I've never used anything above my current crappy 10+ year old 20-21inch monitor and was wondering if 1080p at 27inch is really that bad like people make it out to be? I do have a 6600 and a 980ti so its not like I cant run 1440p I'd just rather not deal with 1440p atm with all the qc problems (assuming all 1440p/120hz/etc monitors are still a gamble).

Would that I could. I live at least 5 hours away from a proper computer shop.

they already work with high contrast and wide color gamut internally, but they map to SDR because thats what their customers have.

new things always come out but how big of an improvement and how far apart can be evaluated that means when it is a good time to pull the trigger vs when it is a good time to wait varies throughout each year.

ULMB was more impressive for me than G-sync. You get CRT like motion clarity when it's active, and you can even set some monitors to strobe at 60hz for games that don't run higher than 60fps. I find the strobing to be unnoticeable for the officially supported refresh rates on my monitor(100/120/144hz). At 60hz, I can see how some people would find it uncomfortable. I'd say ULMB is definitely a feature worthy of consideration for daily usage.

Anyone who is looking for info on display technology should be digging through the blur busters site as there's all the information one could possibly need to make a well informed decision on what to buy. Even if you do need to ask a question, you're more likely to get an answer backed by solid info there than anywhere else.

Reminds me of that old Xbox advert where the gamer grrls were "playing", but the console wasn't even plugged in.

upgraded from the dying samsung which was a display model at fry's to the dell open box

need to upgrade my gpu though. still have 4670k/gtx 770

rn all i play is creativerse and wow so i dont need anything better

if they announce a new elder scrolls or something more beefy ill upgrade the rest of the system

didnt you spend 4k+ on a fucking prebuilt too?

no, i bought this because of massive discount. best purchase i made in years tbh, even with the mentioned defect

i meant 4k+ dollars you fucking nigger

Weren't you supposed to be dying or some shit? Please hurry up.

Can I reliably get 144hz working on a DVI cable or do I need to sell my soul to drm and get displayport?

I keep forgetting to take off the fucking flag

get DVI-I and enjoy 220hz

You don't end up with the same panel that you test out on the shop floor. Every single one is different.

4k is bad for lots of reasons without even considering the price.

List them up or your statement is invalid.

Stretched to 4:3?

I consider ULMB to be a meme. The brightness required burns out eyeballs super fast and needing to run it at a fixed high refresh (realistically, 120 or higher) is difficult without making major sacrifices to get the min fps up there. It's interesting tech, and it does dramatically reduce blur, but it just isn't practical.

What's a good low latency 60hz 1080p monitor? No jewish marketing mumbojumbo for niggers, please.

That's the joke.

gsync isn't a meme you dumbass, learn what it's used for before saying stupid stuff
inb4 "i was baiting lel"

Hardware vsync is a meme.
Peope just want good screens with perfect motion clarity.

Seems like a meme to me, user.

1. Never buy new
2. If you want to buy new, buy open box
3. Always inspect the product before you buy it

I got the panel I tested.
You deserve shit service and shit products if you don't demand proper service.

A VESA standard isn't a meme.

logicalincrements.com/monitors

I'm thinking of buying 's monitor (Acer XG270HU) and it's $85 dollars off in leafland right now. Should I wait until Black Friday to see if it gets a bigger discount or is this the best discount I should expect for a $599 in leafland monitor?

Don't do it user.

The reviews I've seen are good. Is the build quality shit or something?

So wait… you're suggesting that he should use his high hrz monitors with Vsync on and get 60FPS at best… 30 at worst. That's not even considering if the software fucks up and causes screen tearing w/ vsync like i've heard done in BF4.

WHAT?!

This video was actually surprisingly good, they were straight to the point and didn't shill for the devs.

You can vsync at 144, that's what proper gsync configurations do when the rate exceeds refresh. The issue is when the rate drops to 143 or something. With vsync-only that's a dramatic framerate collapse that is jarring. With gsync you'd never know without a fps counter. For a vsync-only setup you need min fps to never drop below refresh and you'd have to destroy the graffix to get most games fully above 144.
It's great tech with no technical drawbacks or tradeoffs that is only hated by some on Holla Forums because they're "team red" consolewar faggots who realize freesync isn't as good and because it's expensive and Holla Forums is broke.

I have a couple Acers at work, they seem fine and look pretty good

Stay away from acer products.

As far as monitors as concerned, you want Dell/ASUS/AOC/BenQ/LG/Samsung/NEC/EIZO/JDI

FUCK

I bought a PG278Q back when they first came out, shit came with dead pixels. And about 2 months ago (literally a month outside of its 3 year warranty) it suddenly refused to show a clean picture (there were lines running across the screen horizontally and it looked like it wasn't even running at native resolution anymore). Asus's response? "Pay for repairs" (it would have cost nearly half of the $1k AUD I paid for it) so I ended up just getting an AOC AGON AG251FZ (24.5 inch 240hz 1080p).

Honestly with 240hz I don't even miss G-Sync anymore (tearing is still a thing of course but it's barely noticeable even for me, and I'm extremely sensitive to that kind of bullshit). I do miss the extra 2.5 inches of screen size and 1440p (it almost makes my GTX 1080 seem kind of overkill at 1080p, though at least it helps to make use of that 240hz refresh rate I suppose). Unfortunately this is my second AGON monitor, the first one had dead pixels and some kind of ugly oval burn-in pattern in the middle of the screen that showed up after 2-3 days (this second one also had the oval pattern but it disappeared after a couple of weeks).

And apparently I was one of the lucky PG278Q owners going off ASUS's own forums. So yeah I'm staying the fuck away from ASUS from now on. Their quality control is fucking horrendous (not that the rest of the monitor industry is much better though).

Don't mind Linus, he's not a serious nerd, just a clown.

It's a solid monitor. Runs a little hot in my experience.