Buying a switch before the end of the year?

Is it a bad idea to buy a switch before the end of this year? The last console I had was an original SNES that I used until 2004. I just want to play some comfy games (such as rf5) and Mario Kart. Also, my country's native language isn't Japanese nor English, will the region lock be as mean as in the DS?

You dont need it

maybe

just get a PS2 and maybe a wii too; both are backwards compatible, and wii has virtual console which lets you play some n64 games… though im not quite sure how you're gonna go about getting virtual console games for the wii now

There is no region lock on the Switch, but there are no games on the Switch either. Don’t drop money for it now. Wait a bit for it to get games.

Buy it now before paid online comes out next year. Enjoy Splatoon 2 while it lasts because I suspect the player count will decrease significantly once paid online kicks in

But it has games, you might not like them but they exist

It has one game

Still debating on picking up a Switch. I don't buy much vidcon nowadays, so that store credit is kind of just sitting there for a rainy day or the rare ps4 release that I actually give a shit about. But no games.

Xenoblade2 might change that, but picking up a console for only 1 game is for retards.

What games? Splatoon 2 is just Splatoon. BotW is on WiiU. Arms is one but it isn’t a system seller. Odyssey is two. Everything else is just ports.

There's monster hunter as well. I'm legitimately curious though, how many games does a console need before it is considered to have games?

at least 5 for me.

All the Switch controllers I've tried in retail felt like they have a faulty deadzone in the analog stick. Only with the Pro Controller did it feel right playing the games. Is it true for the release or is it just retail? Because I liked the idea of the controller sticking to the console or onto a device outside of the tablet.

That's fair, I think in OPs case he can probably find 5 games especially because wiiu ports would be irrelevant for someone who has no wiiu.

Honestly my biggest problem with the switch is the hardware, the joycons are super sensitive and prone to having their signal blocked and fucking up and dropping inputs along with the dock that scratches the screen and an all around flimsy tablet. Nintendo makes stuff for kids but it feels like if you drop your switch that it would be destroyed. I'd recommend a pro controller and a screen protector.

To be fair the reason the screen scratches so easily is because it is plastic, which is a good move to prevent screen cracking from drops, but it makes it more prone to scratching from any kind of rubbing. Either way a screen protector will fix that problem. I've also heard the opposite and that the switch is pretty drop resistant.

I think the only reason to get a Switch now is so you have one that isn't updated. Therefor, when CFW and homebrew come in, you can easily implement it.

If you want comfy, you're most likely better off getting a 3DS with Rune Factory 4 and Story of Seasons. You can pirate 3DS games now so that can come in handy. Same with the Vita, while much better than the 3DS, it has less comfy games. It's mainly visual novels that provide that and you can just find a much larger library on PC.

I haven't dropped it so that's good to hear, my bad on that one

The 3ds and vita are pretty damn comfy I agree

I heard that might be difficult, as updates blow fuses in the Switch itself to prevent downgrades. I'm thinking that switch homebrew devs are waiting until all the fuses are blown so that a they can make homebrew code.

Probably the best game of current gen, assuming the Switch is same gen as PS4 and XBONE

Not the best Zelda, but better than any sandbox competition

The only first person shooter to evolve the genre in this generation

Wait until world releases and people start calling it shit, and go back to the previous

The next must have, wait for the massive hateboner once the mustard race starts salivating. Don't worry, I promise you'll be playing it in 5 years

The fuses aren't literal, but are part of the cpu called efuses that can be set once and cannot be unset. They're only set on major version changes and from what I remember there's more efuses than there will be switch updates. It's highly unlikely that all the efuses will ever be blown. It's much more likely that they figure out a method of downgrade that circumvents the efuse system.

I'm kind of hoping that's the case. I'd hate to miss out on a good monhun game and there's no way I'm paying for online play.

I mean we are getting World at least

Agreed, except the 3DS design hurts my big hands after playing for more than a few hours. The Vita's curve fits just fine into my hands and I can play that easily for hours on end.

If you got a Switch now and Homebrew came at a later update, then there would be no need to downgrade. Assuming the Homebrew works of said update. And if they did make one, they most likely would have figured out how to bypass it.

Problem with this game is that it's only really good for exploration and even then all your rewards are mostly passive. Not only that but like 20% of the puzzles actually make you think. All this combined with stupid easy combat and an annoying durability system, easy bosses, and only 4 dungeons make it a pretty lackluster game in general. Not just as a Zelda game. It's like a massive collectathon but you don't get any new abilities as you go on like in Banjo or Metroid.

As for ARMS and Smash. Sm4sh is one of the most boring in the series and there are much better fighters than ARMS, not that it's a bad game.

Xenoblade does look nice though. If I decide to get a Switch, I'll most likely grab that.

World might be a casual mess. I enjoyed 4U but I don't want to go through 20+ hours of easy mode again where nothing is threatening until you reach high rank elder dragons and G-rank. And then a lot of it turns into a big grind. I'm just hoping God Eater 3 will turn out well as I'm bored of MH right now.

why?

PS2 still has trouble with some games, say Klonoa 2 has really inaccurate sound, you have to have a beast to run Ratchet & Clank Going Commando, etc.

While true, you can still emulate most games pretty well. Something like Sakura Wars can be emulated easily and is pretty fun in general.

I mean all Zelda games essentially had the same "easy" combat. Not sure why you are complaining about that.

I'm OP.

Anyone knows how this paid online system will work?

Damn, that is a huge downside for me. That pro controller is kinda expensive.

I was also thinking of that.
Been thinking about getting a New 3DS XL too. The problem is it seems Nintendo is taking all their new releases to the Switch instead.

To be fair, I can emulate Zelda BOTW.
Mario Odyssey is pretty cool and so is Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart. I don't know if there are any good and active servers near where I live.
Also, for multiplayer games, how much of an advantage the Pro Controller gives? I don't want to learn to play these games with a handicap.
Mind spoon feeding a retard on these games?

World is being casualized and it doesn't really seem like monster hunter anymore, it might still be good but even with it's many flaws XX is still monster hunter at the end of the day at least. I'm more worried about what world being a success will mean for the future of the series

Witch Time completely trivializes any combat challenge as you don't even need to properly time your dodge due to the odd conditions of it activating. Dodging the start up of an enemy's swing can even activate it. It can even activate if you dodge an attack that wasn't even close to hitting you. And when activated, you can deal an absurd amount of damage with no effort. It completely breaks combat is a better way to put it.

But you still haven't played all those games. They will be new to you at least. Still, no dedicated handheld next gen has me really worried.

Monster Hunter can easily be explained in the Monster Hunter General. Xenoblade 2 is an action sci-fi action RPG with mechs and semen demons. Project Arms is a 1v1 casual fighter where you punch each other with stretchy arms.

Fucking honestly shilling because I've been enjoying myself so far:
paid online not so much, but we still don't know when that's coming, and given it's price IF I'm still playing splatoon then I might get it

The whole package will cost $20 per year, although players can also pick a one-month subscription for $4 or a three-month subscription for $8.

Buying new games won't help you recapture your youth. But if you find a few games you want to play, buy one. It's not expensive enough to agonize over unless you're poor.

I think the 3ds and vita have large enough libraries especially with hacking to warrant getting, the switch isn't the worst thing you could buy either though, the joycons work they can just be a little annoying at times but with the proper setup they work fine

I'm thinking of getting into the xeno series myself is there anything I should know? Should I play in release order and how much is treehouse fucking up the new games?

Honestly if they imported Xenoblade Chronicles X over to switch I'd be more inclined to pick one up since I can't justify it yet for just odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

The devil is in the details, hhhnnnng

I think you can just jump right into this game. Xenogears is pretty good too. There's the Xenosaga series but those might as well be a visual novel with how many cutscenes they have. If hour long cutscenes don't bother you then try them out. I believe Xenoblade Chronicles X is the only game fucked up by Treehouse.

She's dressed like a female protag in a sci-fi eroge. Then again, so did KOS-MOS.

You couldn't be more false.

Yeah Xenoblade Chronicles X got fucked up by the localization team, but the mechs and the combat were pretty fun and for that reason alone I enjoyed the game.

Thanks anons

7-12

Solid dubs there m8.
I'll admit I'm less exigent, and I'll buy a console if it has 3 games I want. Mostly because I'm a slow player, and 3 games usually last me 6 months if I really like them. But also because if after playing those 3 nothing else comes out nor is there anything in the horizon, I feel no remorse in selling my system and games.

lol no
Q+It helped bu the games story is dogshit
Mechs are shit.
Enjoy your massive pop in because the piece of shit paperweight can't handle loading all that garbage, enjoy your horrible town music and shit that plays every time you fly
I just wanted this game to be good

thank you, benis

Keep telling yourself that, nintendrone.

I was thinking about this.
Than I reminded myself about paid online.
Now I don't want a Switch.

Damn it is actually quite cheap but still not worth it to buy console, Splatoon and also pay 20$ a year. It will be basically 80$ game.

wii games arent quite the same without the wiimote and nunchuck, id imagine

I'm wating on SMT 5

If you're retarded to buy a new console with a very tiny library then at least wait until its on sale.

I think you also get access to emulatable titles and special discounts, but 20$ for a year if there are quality multiplayer titles isn't bad. Either way they still need to fill out their catalog.

This is Nintendo, so that's a big 'if.' Splatoon and Mario Kart are the only notable ones in recent history, to my knowledge.

Don't buy a Switch, wait for a better version next year.

remember goy, we've got great third party support coming! a lot of devs stated their support for our platform. we really learnt some lessons from the wii u. better buy one now, before paid online comes! you're gonna SAVE money in the long term, you see? and those games nobody really played yet, like xenoblade 2 - they will be MASTERPIECES. totally worth buying the console for right now. you can trust me, goy. I'm good with money after all.

My main problem is that it is shitty practice.
It isn't huge problem to pay 20$ a year. It is however a problem to shill 20$ a year on singular console. Lets say I play 7 online game during a year. I don't want 3 different subscriptions for them.
Especially when there are games like Team Fortress 2 or Diablo 2. Companies can easily hold servers for old games.

Of course I am quite sure they are at least naming new leagues and organizing events for Splatoon 2 but at the same time they got money to do that while selling the game. Once it gets less popular and you won't have money from sales to do that stop doing it but keep few servers.

Which is why ps+ isn't so bad yet anons on Holla Forums hate it even though its across all playstation consoles and it gives you games for the various consoles. Plus playstation has more than 2 multiplayer titles.

Playstation Account in general is way above What Nintendo does.
It still doesn't make PS+ good. It is technically Humble Monthly. Good deal overall but not necessarily good deal for the player. Monthly is only good when 1 known game is worth it. Otherwise it is cat in the bag.
PS+ is 6$ a month (60$ a year) for constant cat in the bags and online subs.

Only reason I would buy it would be actually online because cat in the bag doesn't sound like good deal at all.

The thing is that playstation has a good amount of fun multiplayer games. Nintendo has 2.

20 dollars a year is cheap. But the problem is you're paying to play online when they don't even need to do this. That's what their game is. Conditioning people to slowly like being screwed over because "it's not as bad as company X". Sony did it because Microsoft got away with it. And now Nintendo is doing it because why not? People will use it anyway now that they're used to it. Just like Day 1 DLC, lootboxes, and collector's editions with no game.

Lootboxes have never bothered me in free games unless they give p2w items because the company has to be able to fund servers and development of new shit somehow.

So this must be the retard's clubhouse

This, the only reason there's subscription fees is because nobody complained and boycotted Microsoft when they did it with Xbox, so now all the other companies follow suit for free cash when multiplayer servers should already be factored into a game when you buy it.

Careful, you'll get banned for "console wars" if you say that

Yes, it is.
It will be overpriced.
I recommend getting it in February, if you can't control your findom. It should be cheaper by then.
Or just wait until it gets solid game library.

hmm?
hmmmm????
I am confused. That is pretty much why I never bought day 1 DLC, lootbox and I am not owning any console right now. Slippery slope is huge in this industry, mostly because of fanboy mentality. People bought shit once because it was next dish so they gave them shit once more.
20$ a year is not that much through. However it is still more than eventual Cemu multiplayer.

Not lootboxes but generally cosmetics is pretty good option for multiplayer stuff.
It means business strategy is same as in subscription based games and sub based is the best thing for MMOs. You need to constantly improve your game to keep playerbase constantly satisfied.
Plus with cosmetics you don't need to pay sub. It is pretty much donation based.

That's happened to you too?

Anons blow the whole lootbox thing out of proportion when they only contain cosmetics. Its only when lootboxes contain p2w items that its a problem and usually at that point the game itself has problems outside of that.

Buy a 3DS+R4i 3DS, or modded Vita+SD2Vita, or Wii and HDD. Any of those would be better buys than the Switch for now.

If you're going to get a Nintendo handheld, you always wait until the first hardware revision. Nintendo has a bad habit of charging you full retail price to patch hardware bugs and feature creep.

Enabling loot boxes in any capacity will lead it to becoming the norm in all games. Stop supporting cancer. Stop defending cancer.

Whats wrong with cosmetics being locked behind lootboxes? The people who want to pay to look stupid can and they allow the rest of us to play the game for free because they fund further development of the game.

Up to this day, I can't believe they forced people to listen to this shitty song every fucking fight

DISGUST

Ok, guys. I will wait.

How much soda or garbage food have you been buying from the Coca Cola Company, or its subsidiaries user? Had you been eating healthy in the last year alone, you could have bought yourself a Switch with money to spare.

But user, I'm fit and attractive IRL

ITS A FUCKING PAD YOU MONGOLOID WORSHIPPING SLANT EYED KIKE LOVING, CUTESY, SHALLOW MARKETING OVER MATERIAL, SHIT GAME LOVING WEEB

ITTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

There's no region lock on the Switch, however the matchmaking is locked by the region of the game version for some games like Splatoon 2. Take this into consideration (i've heard the euro version is a ghost town, you should probably get the American or Japanese version, whichever is closer to you).

This but the opposite. You'd only get 2 months out of the free online experience, I'd rather (and am doing so, I don't own a switch either) wait and see what the impact is. Maybe Nintendo changes their mind (unlikely), maybe the good goyim all buy their subscriptions, or maybe it totally kills multiplayer focused games like Splatoon.

It is true we tend to blow things out of proportions.
That said I don't mind it in f2p games I don't want them in anything I pay for. Maybe besides TF2/CS:GO because I like trading in it and entry fee wasn't huge. I want games to be completion fest like WoW used to be. I don't want to buy epic mount I actually want to earn it.
Fact that game is free makes a difference here.

It is gambling made not for people who cannot control their spending.
Not when game pushes them in my face each 5 minutes and have always online because of that.

Just get 3DS or wait for Splatoon 1 multiplayer on Cemu.

I'd recommend picking up a used Wii U for cheap but it's not the same now that Miiverse is dead.

It's about making the most of one's money, not just never spending any. If you spend nothing, you get nothing: save possibly from second hand opinions and streams.

Eating trash and being happy about it, means just you are a failed consumer. You should never ask any less than the best experience, bargaining for the best price over it.

This is also very good option if you are not a PC fag.
I am for CEMU but I am for CEMU because I primarily game on PC.

Actually point of trash eating people is that we are throwing away perfectly fine food. They like abuse fact supermarkets have to throw away stuff after its date no matter how good it is or something.
So basically trash eating people are perfect consumers because they get full experience for free and aren't like trash eating people.

I just found it funny how this allegory doesn't make any sense.