Water effects in vidya

Why was my water thread just deleted? Anyho, post some nice vidya water. I said something about Wave Race 64/Blue Storm and Everblue 2.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-RF7vU2dMj8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bioshock.

Water in Pikmin was always amazing

Threads are going underwater fast :^)
Is a mod on a power trip?

My wifes son held my head under the water in the toliet while he told me die white race. My wife cheered him. She clapped and had an orgasm talking about the death of the white race. The graphics? Extremely realistic. I have to admit, I really was sure I was going to die right then and there.

I hope castrator simulator has good water effects.

I like the water in Japanese Skyrim lots of rivers , lakes and waterfalls, it sucks so much that swimming is so limited

halo 3 and halo reach had some nice water physics compared to most games at the time. they, surprisingly, optimized heightfield deformation for anything interacting with the water, instead of only using it for the waves.
the first half of the video is literally water tech
youtu.be/-RF7vU2dMj8

nice water

Fuckin Carlos

this game's water is alright

super mario odyssey's water looks better in 60fps

This reminds me of Jet Moto for the PSX, is it any good?

Yeah it's good racing game but the price is a bit high, there's tricks and stunts you can do getting more boost and a whole tournament based around it. The game is oddly interesting that you don't get penalized for score or time for skipping bouts, only disqualified after skipping 3 bouts, which usually you skip bouts to ignore slow "corners" after the first lap, I like it.
Plus each vehicle class (there's two), has separate move-set of tricks, so that's pretty cool.
If you're in it for the graphics, it has some nice night time and sunset water.

I liked the water in Anno 1404 even though it was kind of off and too think when you were sailing through it.

That game never got any better did it? I recall them trying to fix it for like a year post release or something.

thick

Hydro Thunder had some really nice water, especially in rougher tracks like Ship Graveyard, where they can either make or break your time if you don't know how to navigate through them.

Too much water.

I loved AA's water. I wish the game wasn't shit.

Waverace on the gamecube blew me away wth it's water physics. Very cool game.

I recall the water effects actually being kind of shitty/non-existent in Bioshock.

Are you same guy who gets obsessed over water effects when miiverse existed?

I'm currently working on a game that has a lot of water and you'd be surprised at all the things you take for granted that are actually still difficult problems.
For example, let's say you have a boat and some water that is just a flat surface or tessellated or whatever but the floor of the boat will be beneath the water line. If you just draw the two together the water clips into the boat and obstructs the view of the floor. Everyone solves or works around this in a different way rather than there just being one off-the-shelf solution like you'd expect for such a old and basic issue. Most games just fudge it and don't ever let you see a part of the boat that is below the water line. Some games (especially old ones) might try to clip the geometry of the ocean against a a planar segment of the boat. Others make another model of the boat with the floor filled in and use that to mask rendering of the ocean.
All these methods have issues that the game developer needs to try to hide. Nothing is perfect.

They made a big stink about the water effects being incredible, but it was just static effects.

Do water physics and visuals ever make anyone thirsty?

Couldn’t they use a two-layer heightfield water system, like with how Rise of the Tomb Raider, Spintires, and Arkham Origins does their snow and mud? It might take up a decent amount of resources more than normal, but it’s worked pretty effectively for snow and mud.

OP here, this one is pretty nice imo

was that ship one meter long? Water effects aren't really scalable, those wave patterns look unnatural compared to the ship size.

COINCIDENCE?!?

The water from Golden Sun looks tasty

I feel like Prophecy that released on PC was fine. Not an amazing game, but they did make solid improvements over the original that I could actually finish it.

Shit taste