Crunch time edition.

Links and stuff:
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/
#8/agdg/ via irc.rizon.net
8agdg.wikidot.com/

Previous thread:

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER 11TH

Reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can.

Also please post your games ok? plesase

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/esh7xo
hastebin.com/enudowepum.cs
hastebin.com/edoxotuxek.cs
8agdg.wikidot.com/demo-days
twitter.com/unity3d/status/928398022748368901
discord.gg/vJYZWNQ
itch.io/blog/14747/discounting-for-developers-how-and-when-to-do-it
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA
cryptobells.com/fasterest-table-inserts-in-luajit/
dipmat.univpm.it/~demeio/public/the_c_programming_language_2.pdf
xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/36369/236281.aspx#236281
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/lua.html
luajit.org/performance_x86.html
answers.unrealengine.com/questions/18526/extremely-slow-compiling.html
github.com/BeardedManStudios/ForgeNetworkingRemastered
8agdg.wikidot.com/resources
wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BodyTopology),
wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BaseMesh),
emptyeasel.com/2008/03/18/copyright-information-for-artists-how-copyright-laws-protect-your-art/
please
redbubble.com/people/nintendino/works/16351066-agdg-logo?p=t-shirt
eighth-exodus.itch.io/dietotenmaske
itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/191313
adammil.net/blog/v125_roguelike_vision_algorithms.html
pastebin.com/raw/secS0Kq4
8agdg.wikidot.com/beelzebox
dropbox.com/s/yxinslqwlhrw0ql/Autumn Willow DEMO Nov 11-17.zip?dl=0
sys.8ch.net/log.php?board=v
shodanon.itch.io/beelzeboxThe
8agdg.wikidot.com/beelzeboxHope
github.com/redxdev/ECS
winprog.org/tutorial/
nehe.gamedev.net/tutorial/creating_an_opengl_window_(win32)/13001/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for slightly improved life ring

make a RTS where you can have your friends play as your units but in a meaningful way

Supposedly the furfag who made this lurks here.

DELET

(checked)

SHUT IT DOWN!

cute

Probably cuck/agdg/ since I'm pretty sure I'd remember those tits.

gj on this m8.
On a related note, can someone do a wiki entry for twitter in relation to marketing/PR shit?

u poor soul…

definitely cuckchan or maybe monster… I don't visit either so I couldn't tell u for sure, but I've never seen them post here.

One of these has a snout, you know how triggered they are about snouts.

I've also resized my UI elements to be native to my new lower render resolution. Here's a comparison with the shader on and off. At the moment you can simply turn the shader on and off with a button which is kinda fun.

I think for my test day build, I'll have it just be Stage 3, since I'm pretty sure most of you who wanted to play have already played my first and second stage and are probably sick of them by now. And no one but myself and some local testers have played that one yet.

Can I get some feedback on a game idea? I'm already working on a game, but I've been thinking of other projects as well.
I want to make a 3v3 team-based arena combat game where you would have two units on each team fight while the third unit of each team acts like support and gives backup, advice, or strategies. The combatants would have a stripped down UI (not knowing your health or the position of the enemy on a map), so they would have to rely on communication from support for info and their other teammate on the field. This would be accomplished via test or voicechat, but voicechat would probably be the most fun.

Games like Monaco and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (a bomb-defusing game) are really fun when you can make plans and cooperate with other people to progress, and it's a shame it's not done more often. FPS's can achieve this as well, but death is such a minor setback in those games most people don't lead or employ strategy for fun, they just want to zone out and shoot things. Arma would be a good counterexample to this.

Why are the animal features not consistent? The first chick has pig ears and a tail but no snout, and the second chick has fox ears, a snout with whiskers, and a tail. Also the art's kinda meh, the artist should really get rid of the tit-glare, it's tacky as fuck.

Sounds a little bit like a smaller scale version of Natural Selection(Each team has a "commander" and then a bunch of footsoldiers who are the rest of the players). Could be a lot of fun, but it's such a base-level idea that it's hard to get a grasp of what the game would play like and that's really important for something like that. I think the idea itself could definitely work though.

JEWS DID 9/11

Are you gonna have a seperate thread for demo days? or are you gonna do it in this thread, asking since I wanna know if I should sticky it or not.

can confirm tbh

(checked)
Heiled

and just like that, the thread is kill

My vote is to have a special thread for em.

How many demos will we have, anyways?

poal.me/esh7xo

It'll probably happen in this thread. It'd probably be best to just use whatever current /agdg/ thread is up and just sticky it with an announcement for demo days on the board header.

I see, thanks for the input. I'll check out Natural Selection, sounds like a fun game that might give me some guidance. I'll start a design doc and post it around when it's more concrete.

I'd suggest having a separate thread; expect lots of anons to flood and shitpost and stuff, it'd be hard to ask a question

Yeah. Natural Selection is more like an RTS game where players play as the individual troops but the idea is similar. It has interesting ideas and I find the asymmetrical gameplay to be pretty nice.

better to have it in a separate thread as this user mentions

Oh, didn't think of that. Also people might still want to use this thread for help, so having DD in a new thread would be better.

Probably not going to have anything for demo day, maybe some small test video but that will be it. If I do make the video, it will be a kick animation probably destroying a Skaarj or Nali. I've been too busy lately removing a bunch of stupid bullshit from an add-on mod for Fallout Tactics Redux 1.3, called Equilibrium. The "map maker" that edited the maps has to be fucking retarded. There are so many additional plants in the maps now that THE FIRST AND SECOND MISSIONS HAVE FRAME RATE DROPS. Tested on multiple machines, I've deleted over 200+ from the first map which just has a bunch of overlapping (therefore non-visible) tiles. Oh, plus shitty OC DONUT STEAL characters without portraits that it just comes off tacky and awkward. Their dialogue is barely even worth looking at. It was so offensive to me that I decided to nuke all the plants with the map editor. I might release this on modDB or something if I care enough to finish it completely.

In the meantime, have an unfinished run template. Also decided it would be better to animate upper legs first then lower legs/feet. You can see the difference in the first 3-4 frames in this animation alone, as I switched to doing that by the fifth frame.

Jesus Christ. I should really get cracking on my own game, now that Godot has Mono support.

someone suggested a few threads ago to have a link in the OP here to a thread on the agdg board specifically for demoday stuff, so people could have a place to post their games and get feedback/advice/whatever that wouldn't get flooded as much.

Horrorgame dude here. Gameplay mechanics and story finally planned out, now i only need to decide where the plot takes place, spooky spaceship or spooky abandoned underground stuff? What scares you more?

Underground is lame to me, since it'll just be abandoned tunnels and maybe a cavern and "oh look, it was really connected to a haunted indian burial ground all along!" shit.

At least with space, you can play with agoraphobia and claustrophobia (infinite space and narrow tight tunnels), and the fact that you're sealed off from the world.

Scifi horror is always scifi first and foremost.

he wants the kemono and monster community?

how about a gender studies university?

He should learn to make real furshit, that is fucking disgusting.

Just for the record, this was the other user game made by 8chanons for that contest.

(checked)
What kind of human being uses such a word?

I dunno… I just came up with it. Holla Forums anons doesn't ring as well but sounds less spergy I suppose.

Interesting. Personally i think underground/abandoned building or silent hill type atmosphere is scarier, but most people i ask tend to go with sci-fi/spaceship. This kind of makes me question my spooky-meter.

Whoa there buddy, calm down. I don't want people to die of actual heart attacks.

Underground areas tend to quickly be about WW1-WW2 or Cold War, so you'll probably find the setting as an abandoned coal/copper/uranium mine or a bunker/missile silo or what not. There's sort of like an unspoken progression through the setting that you can feel coming.

In a way, that's sort of why I like RE2-3: you visit the city's police station, and park, and hospital, and sewers, and find all sorts of nasty situational shit

Personally I like open spaces better for the fact that you get greater variety. It seems strange to me that almost all horror games keep the player pretty much in one place. Whats wrong with having underground settings, forests and cities all in the same game? I get that sometimes the place itself is the focus but I think it'd be cool to visit lots of areas.

Well hey, these reinforced walls came out better than I thought

What if the underground building hat stuff like a hospital, sewers, other "regions" and a unique story without any relation to war? Both underground or spaceship would have multiple "regions"/wings to explore. I am just interested in which one gives a more creepy/spooky atmosphere itself.

Had already thought about a more open world, but sadly would be much harder to implement the story i prepared and also too much work for a one man army.

I'd call us the Crazy 8's; or the Fighting Mongooses, that's a good team name.

I get it.

nah, everyone has different tastes of what is spooky, just go for what you like about spookines and do it.

How many whodevs will there be for demoday?

and this right here is the reason refactoring kills more projects than any other reason.
when you start it kills your momentum and slowly erodes your motivation, and when you finish you get motivation and sets your momentum back to zero again.
let this be a lesson for everyone to never refactor unless the work of starting your game from zero again is lesser than the work of getting new shit done in your current code

See

I don't want hackish code, though.

There's a difference between a demo and a whodev demo

To the user who asked for this feature, it's in the game now. It's not as useful as the guns, but it's got some lucrative score bonuses, especially if you hit more than one enemy on the ground (which can be done)

That's because we haven't had demo days or anything of the like so there's no meaning to the term until now.

It's not just recap, it's also people who post in demo days and jams and the like but never otherwise.

I feel like it should have a logo that also has "demo day" on it, as well as something that says:

OFFICIAL Holla Forums + /AGDG/ DEMO DAY THREAD

on the first line, followed by a brief explanation of the event (eg, it's a quarterly event for us to show off our meme games)

Okay I lied, NOW it's done. Gonna make a bunch of coded content+interactions tomorrow.

Total engine code is about 2,700 lines (across 29 files) which isn't that much but it's my biggest not-abandoned project ever

apparently i just got banned for spam tfm

tru tru, and thx for clarification

agreed

Do you just make a new file, every two to five functions?

Huh, that's less than 100 lines of code per file.

I make one file per class and one folder per namespace, and have a generally flat code structure.

This is one of my larger files, full of query operations:
hastebin.com/enudowepum.cs

And to compare, this is one of my smaller files, a simple enum definition. I have about 12 of these sorts of files kicking around
hastebin.com/edoxotuxek.cs

Despite what you might believe, yes, you ideally have small files with not too much in them. That means you made a small object that only has a small amount of functionality.

Ok, here's the current version:

OFFICIAL DEMO DAY THREAD ~ Holla Forums + /agdg/
OFFICIAL Holla Forums + /agdg/ DEMO DAY THREAD

A quarterly community event in which your fellow anons show off their vidya, and for you anons to do what you do best.
Tell us how we can improve, show us the untapped potential you see, tell us how much our game sucks (or doesn't, after you've played it of course), and why it does or doesn't suck.

Obligatory Notices
Please post criticism/bugs/etc in this thread.
After this thread is culled, please post the above here: >>>/agdg/demoDayThreadNumber

I was figuring this was an OOP language, I remember when school made me write Java I had to keep making new files for ever class or something… that ".cs" extension explains it.

A lot of assumptions, like that I am using a language with first-class "objects". Really what I do is I put functions related to a system in one file, and then when it goes over 1000 lines, it's in general no longer that great for navigating in my text editor, so I make another file for more functions.

The point of when to make new files is really up to anyone, but I don't think that it's very worthwhile to have a huge amount of files in your source tree, when browsing this source tree is supposed to be a "high level" look at your code.

I could separate "console.c" into "ccmd.c","con.c", and "cvar.c", but in reality it makes more sense to just have them all in the same file, because they're closely related and the file is small enough that its easy to navigate.

Can't be helped, I guess.
I'll have something for next demo day.

Yesterday? You said you'd make a demo today

I meant objects in the general sense, not in the OOP-language sense. You can consider a simple struct an object too.

There's actually a bunch of arguments to not do this and try to divide it into subcomponents where each component has it's own .h/.c.

It improves readability in the sense that the header provided is the only way to communicate with the object. You are essentially guaranteeing to everyone else reading your code that the API provided is the only way to communicate with it. This also doubles as making it easier to modify; you have a smaller API contract to follow.
It improves compilation time. If you only modify one object's .c, then only that object has to be included. In addition, if you only need the header of a single subcomponent, rather than the entire component, then a header file changes is less likely to require a recompilation for a compilation unit.
It makes it easier to re-use code. If you're starting on a new project, you might recycle some of the subcomponents of your previous project since they just did what they should.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of cases in which you can't cleanly divide something. My own project has .c files getting close to the thousand lines of code. That's because those are large components that mostly manage themselves. But even then, I tried to take some code out of the files where possible to reduce their size. Those huge manager objects contain a lot of complexity, and the .c should ONLY contain that complexity. Everything else needs to be shoved to separate files to make it easier to manage.

If you want to group code together, why not just use a folder?

Well I think I've got my demo up to par, or as good as it's going to get. It's super rough and there's lots of stuff I need to improve, but that's longer term.
I was hoping to pop in completely out of nowhere with a masterpiece but I don't think that's happening.

So do we just post Mega links on the day or what?

pretty much.
look at the advice section: 8agdg.wikidot.com/demo-days

That link shortener is blacklisted because it gets spammed all the time. Sorry about that.

ah good to know, thanks user

I really, really hope I can tie up Fists of Absolution into something roughly playable until demo day. It's not going to be pretty in either case, but I'd be happy just to be part of it.

I would personally prefer a separate thread. Can't really tell how many demos there will be, though. Might be a lot of hassle for a few demos. Still, getting a sticky will boost exposure- that's for sure.

Is there an example of a game doing oil painting like graphics well?

Refactoring is a skill.

In a game where you play as giant monster vs monster fighter in a destructable city, what kind of aesthetics would be most pleasing for the time/location?

I'm starting it up today, so I'm trying to get down what will be more fun.

It's 5:30 in the morning and I have three whole days off. Maybe I'll once again try and fail to learn basic math

Kaiju style with technicolor and film grain.

So wait what time period would this Kaiju Style be, I really like the idea of making it look like an old japanese monster film.

Is there some sort of "don't be fucking shit" checkbox to the physics I missed? I don't see why it thinks it needs to launch my junk into LEO just because it's triggered by penetration.

you could script in a limit to the velocity

Whatever tickles your pickle.

I'd advise you to look at Earth Defense Force for inspiration, except you'll be from the viewpoint of the fuckhuge monsters instead of a human.

maybe one day I will get to make a 3D tonk action RPG on this engine when I learn more about python.

Morning lads. 11/11 is getting close!

Will you have a demo ready?
I sure won't, but I hope I can show off some screenshots. I want to finally reveal my project to you fucking great people.

I wonder how many blue hairs and script kiddies he'll make cry?

He's going to burn the entire engine down and start over.

Noice.
And it's not just him. Some Frostbite guy is also working for them now.

Honestly, if that's what actually happened, I might consider using Unity more. For now, my bets are on Godot.

so how many artists and idea guys are currently here?

twitter.com/unity3d/status/928398022748368901

I'm primarily a programmer, but since I have no artists I had to learn how to 3d model myself. I wish I had at least one artist. It hurts to know that no programming is getting done while I'm working with Blender and Substance.

are you mentally deficient?

What exactly were you searching for? Code snippets? Language wars? Troubleshooting advice? It's a relatively new thread, stick around, you'll probably find something related to programming.

16 hits
6 hits
how about searching for proper phrases next time?

lol cuckchan

how is your generic [PROGRAMMING] going, fellow [PROGRAMMING] user? I am [PROGRAMMING] using C#.

Something playable? Doubtful, but I do hope to have something to show.

!

Yeah its called writing your own physics lul. I found Unitys physics to be unappealing for my game and since I have such few physics interactions(basically just the player and select few enemies and projectiles) I just hand wrote them.

Checking for a mouse click in unity without using this shitty separate functions is painful

if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0)) { var rc = Physics2D.Raycast(Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(Input.mousePosition), Vector3.forward); if (m_base == rc.collider) { m_prepareFire = true; } }

don't have the time to go that far, but those drawings sure help me figure out what the hell is happening on the legs and ass

what's the problem with it?

well fuck i wish i knew how to model it a easy and cute into a semi-chibi style like pokemon sun&moon, but this isn't bad, i just hope it doesn't get too hard to model the details…

i'm a programming user tbh

I mean, I use colliders but I'm talking specifically about movement. IE instead of using Unitys built in force/torque/gravity/etc functions I move things around by doing my own calculations and doing unit translations. Same thing with jumping and that sort of thing, because I didnt want to have sub-pixel movement in my game. I use the colliders more as trigger zones than anything.

I created a discord server for modding Max Payne. Right now it's just me using it.

I'm somewhat skeptical if anyone else is interested in modding the game but what the hell I'll post it anyway. I'll probably just end up using it to archive the dev process.

discord.gg/vJYZWNQ

It sure is a pain when you stop making mods and start having to create your own textures for EVERY. BLOODY. THING.

You can buy textures you know

I know, but I'm a student. I have no money, but lots of time.

Substance designer?

Substance Painter.

Umm… I think I screwed up my shaders

excellent digits tbh

Ok, anything else i should do on the model before applying the mirror modifier? armature comes after right? it has been a while since i modeled
clothes will be other objects so i can easily replace them

Really it's just opinions, I think that it's much easier to click on "console.c" and scrolling around an 800 line file than opening up a "console" folder and then tabbing between three small files.

I'm also not writing an API, or doing strict OOP. So, taking the "Java style guide" and applying it to C doesn't make sense unless I want to write a Java-like program in C. (At that point, C++ looks better). I think that a looser style that isn't attached to the idea of objects, is nicer to write…

Guaranteeing to people that the API is the only way to communicate with the object is not the best way- you can follow the rules and use the functions that I included in the header, or do
"extern con_t con" when you need to break them. You already can guarantee that, they can only access it normally through what is included in the header, so it's basically staying true to what you're describing. If I wanted to make a guarantee with three files, well I could have a header with all of the functions that I want the other console components to see, and a header for what I want external components to see, which would be included in all three files. So, now I have four headers and three files where there was previously one file and one header… I don't think that that helps, when with one file you can just scroll around, and it's easy.

itch.io/blog/14747/discounting-for-developers-how-and-when-to-do-it

Here's an interesting article

singing up for an irl 3d modelling course tomorrow
how much of my time am i gonna be wasting?

Nah, you made a "ghost vision" ability that lets you see through interesting objects through walls

I downloaded a 2 gb(?) zip archive from a Pixar resource that had a ton of premade environmental textures, including bump and normal maps. You could probably find it without too much effort

depends on how much you already know vs how much the course will teach, so who knows.

3d modeling doesn't require singing
It probably depends on the skill of the teacher, both in modeling and teaching.

How long is the course?

Can't think of a game. But there was that one Van Gogh movie.

>It takes the midpoint of the screen, ignoring the start bar's size

what are you making?

XNA, user? FFS why?!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA

I'm not stupid enough to take a game development course

WinAPI is not an API for cowards. You CAN win, but only if you stand and fight.

Isn't gamemaker's scripting language similar to Javascript though?

It is in some ways, but it's not javascript.

Also these don't look like rocks

Yes, I know. I consider it "feature complete" and it's basically 1:1 to Monogame when I get off my ass and set that environment up

In other news water is wet. There are 2 major problems with game design degrees:

1 is just institutionalized education is fucked. Even a computer science degree is full of redundant, useless or outdated crap. Everything past the first year is useless garbage and you graduate as a complete amateur. I remember at one school the professor was a boomer (or older) lady, so basically the least likely person to play games statistically. They literally just got some random professor to teach the class and regurgitate slides, business as usual.

2nd, even if education wasn't a joke the degree itself is literally just for money and has no thought in it. They know the dipshits taking it put no thought into what comes after school.

What? I didn't say that. Why are you responding to yourself?

what can you do, my man. I never bothered to do a re-install on this system after buying it from a friend. I hope all all the blocked IPs on my pfsense router help with the surveillance somewhat.
And yea, I'm trying to switch to EPB but haven't made using it a habit yet

Sounds like you just chose the wrong school, user

The people who made the thing say it's Python based

In the secret level to Max Payne I noticed it has a reflection on the floor. The game however doesn't support using mirrors (at least not that I'm aware of).

The only way I can imagine Remedy accomplished this is they did it the same way Tony Hawk's Underground 2 did it. They built an exact replica of the room underneath the regular one except upside down. And just made the floor a glass texture.

I might make a tutorial about it if I can replicate the effect on my own in the editor.

Is that the sort of thing that needs a tutorial?

A survival horror game that hopefully doesn't suck using Unreal 4.
It would be so great, if I had an artist I can trust. I'm trying to do the best I can without help and hope I can find it someday. It'll sure help, if I can point to actually finished stuff when the question of my own reliability arises.

A big reason I like to write tutorials is more for my own reference (in case I just forget it entirely) and to better my own understanding about something. It's one thing to know how to do something instinctively but it's another thing to be able to explain how to do it to someone else and understand it on that level.

i hope you switch soon, user-kun.

>have an artist friend that I could force ask to make monstergirl assets

They did. You can see it with noclip.

I'm an artist user

I do suck though so that's probably a disqualifier.

Just to kinda expand on this, being able to explain HOW something works is actually an incredibly important skill if you don't plan on working for yourself. I remember hearing my friend talk about an interview for a programming job he took where he was asked to write and explain some simple stuff like linked lists, bubble sorting etc on the spot and even though he knew how to do it, he just couldn't explain them very well. Whether he didn't get the job for that or something else, imo it just shows that there's a big difference between knowing how to do something and knowing how something works. And that's what college CS degrees are ultimately about.

Python is a piss-easy language, user. I believe in you.

You don't just learn one language as a programmer. I learned Java in school, and am teaching/taught myself C, C++, C#, Python, Ruby, and Javascript. I guess GodotScript too, even though it's basically just Python.

Oh I know, I just have C# as my main language that I'm most comfortable with. Most languages are fairly interchangeable too, they do the same sorta things at the end of the day, it's just a matter of how and how effectively

Basically, especially if their syntax is C-based. I think switching from statically typed languages to dynamically typed ones like Python was the hardest hurdle for me. It just felt wrong.

D-Do you believe in me too?

1-based indexing isn't really bad. It's not as good as 0-based, but it doesn't actually cause any problems when you get used to it, and you usually never have to deal with it directly anyway (because you typically insert and remove with table.insert and table.remove, and iterate with ipairs). Lua is a good language for embedded scripting, but it can get painful when you need anything even moderately interesting (like any sort of network communication, interesting string processing, or anything else). Object-oriented Lua is possible, but such a big pain in the ass because there isn't a "standard" way to do it, so you end up programming your own entire class system from scratch. You're better off in practice just keeping data-oriented and avoiding OO entirely, other than some very light metatable stuff.
Lua is also good because with luajit, it's really fucking fast.

Python is not light, and when you get into the grit of it, isn't really that easy. In a lot of ways, Python is kind of the C++ of dynamic languages, given how fucky you can get with metaclasses and the power available that everybody suggests that you probably never use unless you actually need it.
Python's performance issues are pretty heavily exaggerated. It's not fast, but it's faster than Ruby and faster than non-jit Lua. The main reason to use Python is because it's "batteries-included" (the standard library has a fucking module for everything. It has a goddamn HTTP server, Email modules, ftp modules, xml parsing, every major compression format, built-in curses, even fucking libraries for reading and writing images and wav files).
Forced indentation is also one of those things you get used to. It's ugly and makes reading the code a pain much of the time, but you were going to be indenting it anyway.

Why not just use C# as a "scripting language" then? I know CLR makes it pretty easy to hot-load CLI bytecode assemblies (or whatever they fucking call them), and you could easily create an interface representing a script to run and extend that in plugins.

I believe in all of you

I don't know how to write proper hooks, nor take a raw .cs file and feed it into an application and "have it work"

It probably wouldn't be a raw .cs file, rather you'd load in the .dll (though you could use source files if you worked in either Microsoft's now-FOSS C# compiler or Mono's as a library, or you could ship mono with it and invoke it as an external command and load in the .dll it spits out).
But you'd have to be pretty well-informed on the functioning of C# on the VM level and have the knowledge necessary to embed it. If you want readable and easily-loadable user scripts, Lua is probably the best avenue for that, and it's by far the easiest to embed, given that it's entirely designed around being an embedded language.

I am sorry, my friends, but I might not be ready in time to participate in demo day. Regardless, I am hoping to make tons of progress through the rest of the month.

(checked)
ayyyy

I wish Lua had operators like +=.

Rather you should use those ones when you have a particular need for them. Since there are much faster alternatives for more common use cases that don't have unnecessary function calls.

Don't give up mate. Is that an Ultima clone?

Those window views are cool. Id def play if you got around to posting it. It kinda reminds me of this MMO I played a very long time ago, called Wyvern or something.

/monster/ is planning their own game. Maybe you should drop by in their thread.
Also, why python in particular?

I know that feel, user.
I'm a shit artist in a very specific way. It's not that what I create looks shit, it's just that I a) can't into character design/modeling and b) need too much fucking time. The worst part is that I'm already in over my head. Every minute that I spent in Blender/Substance I don't spend in Visual Studio or reading the books I have to read.

I wish I had something substantial to show, but I won't make it either. What sucks is that I have to go to speech therapy tomorrow, and chances are that it'll take a long time. My therapist has that really rare combination of being good at listening and interesting to listen to at the same time. Logically we tend to dive into quite engaging dialogues about everything from politics, over history and psychology, to philosophy. (She's also quite cute.)
I want to have a pretty webm ready at the very least.

Yeah, you should avoid them if you can, but you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid them (such as just doing it in Lua or something), because they are implemented in C and are likely faster than if you tried to do the same yourself.
The legitimate use of lua "arrays" is pretty limited, though, and you're usually better off with a "set", given that lua can use any arbitrary value as a key:

> foo = {name = 'foo'}> bar = {name = 'bar'}> tab = {[foo] = true, [bar] = true}> for key in pairs(tab) do print(key.name) endfoobar> tab[foo] = nil> for key in pairs(tab) do print(key.name) endbar> baz = {name = 'baz'}> tab[baz] = true> for key in pairs(tab) do print(key.name) endbazbar
There, adding an element is just using it as a key set to true and removing it is assigning nil to it.

For the most part, you only really want an array in lua if the index itself is important.

here is some concepts i have

Source on left, mine on right. Starting to really get the hang of this

You need bigger heads if you want that style. Look how huge the heads see in Sun/Moon.

One thing that will greatly improve your rock imo is if you follow the softer edge shading like the source has. IE lighter edges where light hits, darker ones in the shade. Uniform lines dont work as well with higher detail.

Do you understand how pointer arithmetic/addressing actually works? 1 based indexing is pants on head retarded. It's counter-intuitive for programmers while at the same time not being any more sensible to people who don't program. It is objectively bad.

I presume you mean if you're using Lua for scripting alongside C/C++/whatever? Then yeah I'd agree with that since Lua's tables have a large memory overhead. Specifically I meant things like table[#table+1] for inserting at the end of a table and for i = 1, #table rather than ipairs for non-sparse tables.

Actually, ONE time I've found it useful is with AutoIt3 (which I think is a Basic-like scripting language iirc)

It would store the array size in index[0], and all the relevant data in subsequent indexes

trying to make a dating sim VN using ren'py, it uses python to code stuff, so first im reading "automate the boring stuff with python" to learn the basics.

Like I said, you can just use table.insert to insert on the end of a table and ipairs, which are both faster than the #table access (only slightly, but they let you avoid the 1-index shit). By "the index itself is important", I mean that you should be using a set unless the order or position of elements itself is necessarily important. If the order is important but not position, you're better off with something like a black-red tree or any other ordered binary tree anyway.

Yes, but that's not relevant to Lua, as it uses a hashmap for all table indices. That's why I say "array", as even integer-indexed Lua tables use a hashmap, not a literal array, so none of that is relevant.

1-based indexing is stupid and counter-intuitive, but nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It's as bad as the people who shit themselves every time they see object-oriented programming because they think it shouldn't exist anywhere ever.
I don't like 1-based indexing, but it's easy to work around and get used to. It's not like it's a new thing, either; COBOL and Fortran use 1-based indexing.
I like Lua, but there are far worse things about the language than 1-based indexing. Hell, there are far worse things about most languages than 1-based indexing. I would trade a lot of the worst problems with C++ for 1-based indexing, given the choice.

Technically, you can use 0-based indexing if you really want to, you just have to not use any of the "table" library and not try to access your table size via the # operator. It's easier to just use it and stop bitching, or use a different language if it bothers you that much. Nobody is making you use it.

I was going to argue otherwise but it's been so long since I've read up on benchmarks that I had to go check and turns out table.insert really is (slightly) faster for LuaJIT. I guess that teaches me for trying to correct people. Interestingly I found this while I was at it: cryptobells.com/fasterest-table-inserts-in-luajit/

It's not going to make a big difference anyway. If you want more major speed gains, you're better off really just using C/C++ datatypes through userdata or something of the sort. Lua tables aren't excruciatingly slow or anything, but they aren't incredibly fast either. If you're using C++, sol2 makes C++ datatypes in Lua unbelievably easy.

Anyone else have these kinds of problems of technical autism and crippling indecisiveness? I wish I could turn off the part of my brain responsible for this and become a productive C++-using Visual Studio IDE-loving library-using codemonkey like the real game devs. Even now I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to post "autism cat.jpg" or "satania autism.jpg"

For me the best way to code without falling into the pit of spaghetticode, masturbatory reusability or autistic optimization is the following:
If it's a programming dead end for a simple functionality, program it to make it work and bugtest it, then leave it the fuck alone.
If it's something that will serve for multiple functionalities, and/or be a major part of the game/engine, write it out on paper or whatever, try to divide it small and simple parts, so you can get a good view of what you're trying to implement and then implement it.
Another thing you should do when you get that feeling that some part of the code could be more optimized but you don't know exactly how to do it, is have a time limit for your solutions. If you can't figure it out in 10 minutes, go do something else.
Also, something that always helps me out when I get stuck in some programming problem for too long is to simply stop thinking about it, and do some other work that needs less brainpower. When I come back to it, my mind is fresh and I solve shit rather quickly.

Sound like you need to become a macfag

What you need is an external source of discomfort that forces you to be productive.
The moment you're staring at your code and you feel "I need to finish this shit fast, and it needs to work or I'll be fucked" you won't give a shit about any of those issues and you'll get shit done.

It's called Pelles C user. Pelles C is the best IDE and compiler suite for windows right now. It has full C11 support, something that glibC doesn't even have, its incredibly lightweight. Pelles C is the ultimate windows development tool.

Just write your vector math in C, it's really not that big a deal. You can even re-use it because it's impossible to fuck up normal vector operations.

Learn rust

Get a programming job. When you have to deal with your own shit long term and write code for other people to use, you'll get over most of that other shit. NIH doesn't last any time in a professional environment with deadlines.

Mostly, think about what you want to waste your time debugging. Do you want to waste hundreds of hours debugging a library that you wrote when you didn't even need to?

I think you are both right. The times that a fire was lit under my ass were my most productive. It is a bit of a catch 22, in that it is hard to feel motivated without a job to make me value my free time, yet I can't get a job unless I complete projects to put on my resume, but I know something has to change.

I saw you mention this a while ago and disregarded it, but looking at it now it seems like a nice, cute development environment. Thank you Pelles C user, I will give it a try.

It felt wrong because it is wrong. It creates so many opportunities for very annoying bugs. Python is essentially BASIC taken into the modern era. Everyone has to start somewhere though. With all of the pre-built packages for Python it's pretty easy to get something interesting finished especially for people new programming.

I learned a very limited BASIC when I started, then moved to assembly on the 68000 (Amiga) and then to C. I miss the days when you could write assembly for well-documented hardware. Intel assembly is a complete shitshow though, and the hardware is mostly blackboxes with undocumented firmware you have to access through buggy drivers and API layers. Modern programming on PCs really kind of sucks shit.

My only release is messing with GLSL. Mostly just using ShaderToy these days. Writing pong and breakout in a fragment shader with minimal (actually none) if-then statements is pretty fun.

I've been wanting to try and make a text adventure game. I'm reluctant though, because I've failed twice already trying to "learn" Python. This was mostly because I had no idea which learning materials I should use and a lack of dedication.
I'm also horrible at math -like, Debby downy tier retarded. I'm not exaggerating- which I imagine will be a pretty big roadblock.

Maybe I should learn how to write properly and focus on that instead..
Speaking of which, I'm going to be writing stuff anyway, are there any writefags here that can share/spoonfeed tips or links to reading material on proper writing for beginners?

Use QtCreator either with Visual C++ or mingw. You can use either (or both) compilers with QtCreator IDE. QtCreator is really a pretty decent. You can use it on Windows or Linux. It's sane. It's fast. Syntax highlighting and auto-completion are 1000% faster than Visual Studio. GDB isn't that bad, and QtCreator provides very nice integration with it. You don't even notice. You absolutely do not have to use Qt libraries in QtCreator projects. You can build vanilla C++ executables. It even has templates to do this when you create a new project.

Just bite the bullet and go C++. Use just the pieces you are comfortable with. Get the GLM math library. It does it all: vectors, matrices, quaternions, functions for building projection matrices, everything.

What kind of text adventure did you have in mind? If you were leaning somewhere more VN-like, Ren'Py might be an easy starting point.
I can't speak for anything more complicated, but I'm pretty terrible with numbers and it hasn't come up in my project at all. The worst I've had to do was calculate angles, which a high schooler could've done faster. Brute forced the fuck out of it though so it's all good.

I could be wrong but I can't imagine a text adventure would involve much math.

I could've sworn I had a good resource for learning Python but I've lost the bookmark. There's a lot of stuff on the wiki, that might be a good place to start.

Mathematics and programming in execution is pure logic (more along the lines of "formal logic", but the less formal approaches to logic apply to the act of problem solving).
To counter your, "Debby downy tier retarded" ability at math, learn the philosophy of logic, and then you'll be good for either.
The reasoning behind this is that you'll then have learned the fundamental philosophies which are the underpinnings of both fields, and it'll become "natural" to solve problems with the philosophy of logic (as it's a more abstracted, or "higher level" of thinking which harnesses one's creativity, or just "higher order thinking for low-level problems"); notably from a slightly higher abstracted view point each formal approach (math/programming) just provides different notations, formulas, and rules/axioms to solve these problems with; however their formal logic is the same.

nice job with the poisoning the well fallacy
There's still some good lessons to be learned for a beginner there, and while I don't care about the author (unlike the triggered few, like (You)); your statement certainly doesn't mean what's written in the book is totally worthless.
On the otherhand, feel free to offer better resources, and contribute to the thread.

Learning python, or any other programming language, isn't that hard at all. You just need a strong foundation when it comes to programming in general. You don't even really need any insane math skills either; as long as you know how to write your ideas into code you're golden. I'm not sure what I'd recommend as a resource though. The internet is flooded with stuff that promises to make you a competent programmer, but it's mostly garbage. When I first started programming (before I took classes), I learned from K&R's The C Programming Language. It's an old /g/ meme but it worked for me. That and being able to ask others lots of questions.
Here's a link:
dipmat.univpm.it/~demeio/public/the_c_programming_language_2.pdf

Programming is all about breaking a problem you want to solve (make a game) into smaller parts (how do I draw something too the screen, get inputs, etc) using a language of your choice. It really is that simple.

Yeah the "learning python the hard way" is alright for getting the basic concepts, but not much else (I swear it looked different last time i looked at it… is there a new version?)… I actually have a better book in mind that I forgot about.
"Python programming an intro to comp sci", it's a more generic introduction to programming with some good comp sci knowledge, using python in a generic way (avoiding specialized python features), so the logic of programming knowledge instilled via the book crosses over pretty well to other languages.
Honestly though learning python is like babbys first gentle - high level - intro to programming; as to build confidence.
Through this it can be seen that it's really useful for beginners since it's so high level, and they can "just get shit done" without much worry.
And honestly what you're mentioning happened with me too, and presumably happens with people who care about the application of a programming language which requires performance considerations (game engines, games, etc).
So it's not too grasping to say the natural course for anyone getting serious about programming, after getting some initial confidence, is to learn a C language.

xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/36369/236281.aspx#236281

Well, I don't think I can do it. There's too many glaring issues with how I set things up. Pretty much all the shit I did in the last week (except for the sprites) is garbage and has to be redone. I might as well jump to an actual engine at this point

someone code me a (you) tbh

You can't stop yet, user. Even if you think it's trash, you believed in it up to this point. You made it here. You should share what you've got.
Think of it as free exposure for when you become a yesdev.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's demos.

I need some more Blender help.

So I have this model, exporting it to JSON reveals that the textures are "LightMaps".
However, in blender, I have no way of telling what type of maps these are.

I'm need of copying those LightMaps into normal Maps, but I can't figure out how to do that since there doesn't seem to be any mention of what type of maps they are in blender.

Anybody know how to do this?
Do I do it from the Texture or Material panel?

So does this mean the AGDG graphic is public domain?

Ya, I make the art for cooking user.

If the object is going really fast, then select the "extrapolate" setting for the rigidbody.
Extrapolation means that the rigidbody will predict where it'll be next fixed update, and will prevent penetration for fast moving objects.
Also, check out the collision detection mode. Continuous Dynamic is used for fast objects.
You can also change the penetration settings, but that's ill advised.

The problem is that a blank project in Unity or Godot with imported content is more of a game than what I accomplished

(checked)
Great, new /agdg/ thread, let's get get off to a good st-
WELP

Meet Mr. Two and Through!

lolno benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/lua.html
luajit.org/performance_x86.html
90% of the time Lua is 10-20x slower than Java, and takes up more memory to boot. Even if you account for the reported performance boosts provided by LuaJIT, it still lags far behind Java (e.g. the binary-trees test is 43.69 times faster in Java than Lua, but LuaJIT only provides a 4.9x speedup, leaving Lua 10x behind).

That would require some sort of special-casing in many scenarios, e.g. if you want a char array with more than 255 characters, or an aligned array of longs. I've definitely contemplated such a scheme before (trying to figure out a sane way to do length-based strings in C), but to me it feels like more trouble than it's worth.

So I have those documents about python, is there any other documents that I need to download?

wtf this is awesome. Damn shame I won't get to play it

I feel ya, though. I have quite a few additional errands myself. I'm losing sleep but I will have a "game" on demo day.
A very broken, unfinished mess of a game but I guess that's the idea.

don't worry, my man. Just put it out, I don't think your work should go to waste. I think most people who are crunching now to have their game ready for demoday will re-write most of it later.

we need as many people to participate in demo day as possible

for (int a = 0; a < 1000000; a++) { for (int b = 0; b < 1000000; b++) { draw(tiles[number++]); }}

That's a start I guess.
You should probably use the length of the array that contains the data of the map instead of 100000 though

How do these look?

Seems good

Is there any way to open two models in the same scene in Blender?

By holding the shift button and selecting the layers? There is also the append and link button, the append button will make a duplicate of the model and the link button just links it so you cannot do much changes to this model.

You could try importing, that'll put the second model in as a new object. If anyone has a better solution though I'd love to hear it.

I read about append but it just opened my model as a folder and didn't seem to work.

I ended up opening a second instance of blender and copying it over. Which was still a waste of time because my shape keys were all fucked

This is it boys

share it with your friends?

I'm legit afraid someone faster will do it before me. I can tell you though that it's a twist on the clicker/idle game concept.

It's probably an awful idea, you just haven't thought about it enough to realise it yet

Pretty much no one pays for that shit.

Whatever you want to believe.

Who said it's a typical clicker/idle game?

Your topology is absolutely shit, my recommendation would be to look at other peoples work and delete your current work, then start over. What are you even doing with those shoulders, what the fuck is up with that head, why is there that tight loop right in the centre

Oh no no no no! look at the top of his head.

So this is my Arx Fatalis Female replacer, and apart from deleting my textures and not being able to extract the animations from AF to use as reference to make new ones she's actually mostly finished, just use her as reference for your own model, look at the flow from the neck to the crotch, and pay attention specifically to the legs and the way the line flows from the but to the inner thigh, your shit is way off and you need to re do a fuck load of your model, now this model is currently 7k tris but you can cut back on a fuck ton of that detail and get her down to around 3k while not losing much of the silhouette.

How much tris are your model? and fix the head holy shit.

Just so that anons knows there's better resources on the wiki in the 3d modeling section than a singular picture.
I'd recommend that that user watches the vids on topology, and also joint deformation topology.
Then look at the polycount wiki for topology (has info per area specific to character modeling).

I'm not saying just use my picture, I'm saying download professional work and look at how they did what they did, that's how I learned topology, even though it's still off.

The errors on that person's model are very blatant and easy to fix.

i'm giving u shit user, chillll, and giving them a lead on doing this:

no arguing there

in terms of practical topology it looks good to me
except maybe the joint areas in terms of deformation topology (hips esp).
though arx is pretty low poly so I don't think that's an issue.
only reason i mention it is bcs I'm a stickler for that type of thing.

Come on.

unity's networking system makes me want to tear my hair out. i understand most of it and have been using it for a while, but it feels like the more i try to deviate from it's design philosophy the more it fights me, and the more unet weaver errors i get.

maybe it's worth rolling my own solution with the transport layer, but i don't want to lose out on features i actually want to keep. my main problems come from when i want to make tools and concepts more generalized, rather than say implementing client side prediction individually for each class or something like that.

Purely text-based with a UI and buttons for user input. Beyond that I haven't put much thought into it yet. I want to have plenty of combat, so depending on how fancy I'd want to get damage calculations could get tricky for me I suppose. But I don't know anything about that yet, so I don't think there's much use in worrying about that now.
I'd rather focus on world-building a bit first while I try to get my head around a programming language again.

I'll take a look at the wiki.

I never even heard of a philosophy of logic, but that sounds like it's worth reading about so thanks for that.
Doing some looking around I found a website called ubacity which is giving free courses in introducing Comp Sci using python and courses for python itself. It seems promising enough from a first glance.

Morning lads.

Inb4 benchmarks abuse things like allocation sinking which doens't always works and when it doesn't it tanks performance, and do not even attempt using C structs for which LuaJIT generates pretty much bare x86 assembly.

Has anyone tried Visual Studio Code with UE4? VS is so fucking slow and sluggish and bloated, really all I need is for UE4 to support it, Intellisense or similar (since UE4 is so fucking massive), and that's about it.

Fucking why? Just use a notepad and configure it to envoke toolchain when you press F5.

In my experience intellisense + UE4 is absolutely horrible, but replace intellisense with Visual Assist and it works alright. I don't mean to shill that plugin, but I don't think there are any cracked recent versions. I haven't checked in a while though.

morning user, fitting picture, hope it's a productive dev day

There may be ways of getting compilation times down, and I know how much of a pia that is.
Such as here (not sure if you're tried it yet, but worth a shot):
answers.unrealengine.com/questions/18526/extremely-slow-compiling.html

most recent one I could find was from 2 years ago, but most of the torrent meta-search engines i knew of are dead. nothing on cg

What software would you murder if it were a person?

For me it's GNU Make.

and they have the gall to limit how many people you can have on their multiplayer if you use their matchmaking servers
wooooooooooooow

Don't forget how massive overpriced their matchmaking servers are, for the privilege of letting players host servers on their own computers. Oh, you want an authoritative server? Too bad.

i tried taking a game engine course in uni thinking that we were gonna be making an engine from scratch
turned out they were just explaining how UE4 works
i ended up dropping the course because the course required us to only do c++ instead of blueprints
if i try to compile with VS while UE4 is running, it could take about 5 minutes
if i try to compile from UE4 it might crash
so i have to turn UE4 off, compile from VS, turn UE4 back on and pray that shit works
meanwhile blueprints compile as fast as VS when it's working correctly

You may want to look for an open source project.
Here's one I found that's pretty active, MIT licensed, has docs, and has been around for a few years:
github.com/BeardedManStudios/ForgeNetworkingRemastered

Trying to get to the final result is quite hard without a step-by-step guide, do you have a video tutorial suggestion? I watched some, but i guess the ones i watched were bad examples

Also where do i upload my stuff for the demoday?

do you have a side view for these models? these are great by the way

I guess i will just redo my model

look at the advice section:

most of the step by step tuts have really bad workflows.
it's most efficient to create a base model with good topology (subdivision topo, and deformation topo; at your wanted in-engine poly count) then re-use that for sculpting/rigging/etc in a streamlined workflow.
Wiki page with lots of links (i'll reference this as "resources"):
8agdg.wikidot.com/resources
I'd recommend that you look at how full character topology is done by professionals (look here: wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BodyTopology), and study topology videos (topology section of resources has vids/links).
After that you need to create your re-usable base model.
In most cases it's more efficient to get a rough base mesh (such as here: wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BaseMesh), and retopo it (again look at resource page, for "retopology").
Your goal here is good subdivision/deformation topology w/proper poly counts is what your going for with the base model (so, your focus isn't details, it's just the topology, plus getting the basic silhouette of your base).
After that, u have a reusable base, and can sculpt/blendshape it to your hearts content.
It's best to test your deformation topology though (f.e. realistic shoulder deformation topology can be especially pesky for female models), and make sure it all works properly in various usage cases before you start sculpting/blend shaping it, and back it up before doing anything to it too as it's a re-usable resource.
For sculpting I'd recommend going balls deep, and downloading/studying a full course (really worth it).
Search cg peers for "anatomy sculpting", and using one of those courses (best ones are in zbrush).

So, each dev will make its own thread and link it, got it.

im going to study more about topology, but in the end i will still need a front/side reference to model it, would be great getting the side version of that

So far one hour searching and i didn't find anything like that

even tho im damn sure this is sarcasm, no do not do that

wat

Oh, so these are not instructions for each dev?

something like this, front and side view

OP will make an appropriate demoday thread, devs post their shit in the thread, anons screech and shitpost about the games. Sticky and/or cycle or remake if needed

ok, sorry for the confusion

You make a thread about your project in /agdg/ (or already have one), and in the demoday thread on Holla Forums you also post a link to it. That's what you're confused about. You do not create your own thread on Holla Forums because then you'd be competing with all the other projects for page 0 space and that obviously isn't gonna work well.

I missed foreach loops in javascript

i don't think you understood my post user.
I didn't mention box modeling, side/front perspectives, or anything like that; so I'm assuming you're not going with the proposed workflow.
If you want to model by hand, then I'd recommend to look at the zbrush summit vids out there, and learn from the professionals with decades of experience as to improve your workflow; after you've studied the topology that is.

is the demo day page clear enough for u now?

jesus what a trainwreck

i'm just going to pretend my last post was a joke

don't mind me, i get grumpy when i'm tired, carry on as u would w/o me here

At least C# has better looking syntax for that

yes sorry

(checked)
all good user, thanks for letting me know.

i hope you are going to add the nipples and lewd parts later.

Now these might actually be demo day ready

How in depth do you guys code your tools?
My project that I am working on with a friend we are making a full blown ID system because Unity doesn't allow to save references to game objects in Scriptable objects, and oh boy is this irritating.

how the fucking shit do C# attributes work? i've been looking at tutorials and they all focus on metadata instead of cool shit with reflection. what i want to do is have a custom attribute that tags methods, and those methods get their reference stored and can be called later. is that even possible or should i give up on attributes?

Are you maybe looking for Delegates? A delegate is basically a method pointer and can be passed around like a reference and eg, store it in a Queue or Dictionary that gets invoked. (C# events actually work as a collection of delegates / invocation lists)

Also, Func and Action are premade delegate types that can quickly encapsulate shit. For example, I define all my behavior as Action

12 AM what time zone? Eastern? I've got my demo locked and loaded, ready to go. Just got done doing some last minute spit-polishing.

I hope people have fun with it. If you found the last demo to be too hard, this one should be a lot more bearable. This one is only stage 3, and stage 3 is intended to be a bit of a "break" after stage 2 which is a more grueling stage. There are in fact only two points on the entire stage where you can fall to your death, all other deaths will be because an enemy killed you. The boss is pretty fun to fight to I think.

Thats really cool. There's pretty much the exact same effect in the first Diablo. Your wall textures look super clean too btw. Looks great with the lighting.

Reflection can be though, but luckily I believe I have already done what you are asking for.
Basically you want to run through the assembly your code is in, look for any class with the attribute, and use PropertyInfo/Fieldinfo, and you can use a list of PropertyInfo/Fieldinfo and use them on demand from the list.
However I am unsure if this works for methods, I've only done it for variables and get/set methods.

Alright then.
IS THE AGDG GRAPHIC PUBLIC DOMAIN?!

I've made derivative works for the community, released them anonymously, had zero issues. If you try and get commercial with it, and jew it, then the original artist might find you and sue you. All artworks are implied copyrighted and have to be released to the public domain explicitly (either by the author or due to aging out). fuck you, Disney, and all your anti-copyright shite

I'll try to include an example
List ClassesWithSpecialMethod = new List();List ClassActions = new List();//Gets the current assembly and all Types/Classes associated with itforeach (Type type in typeof(CurrentClass).Assembly.GetTypes()) { //If the type has the attribute if (type.GetCustomAttributes(typeof(YourClassAttribute), true).Length > 0) { ClassesWithSpecialMethod.Add(type); }}foreach (Type t in ClassesWithSpecialMethod) { foreach(Action a in t){ ClassActions.Add(a); }}

I believe that should work.

Those are two entirely different things.

Properties are basically a syntactic sugar wrapper around a field. When you create a property with a getter or setter, what you're actually doing is telling the compiler to create a private field and a public method. So it will work.

yeah i already have a delegate list for method calling, i just don't want to litter my code with SomethingElse.RegisterForLater(SomeMethod) and would rather use [DoSomething] on any method i need to.

will look into this

lucky boy. I'm still out in the woods. Will fall asleep at 4AM locally probably.

And thanks for the praise. I'm rather happy how it looks. I hope others will like it as well… and in motion.

Sorry I haven't been able to run your game at some cool, low resolution yet. Can't really get my video card to scale properly and I still need you to set resolution to exclusive mode in Unity.

and I'm getting a fucking FW900 on sunday. Wew, lad

sooooooooooooooo the guy who made the graphic needs go out and say "I DEDICATE THIS THING TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN" and done?
Does that mean this guy → Could get sued for selling his shitty weebfurry game?

emptyeasel.com/2008/03/18/copyright-information-for-artists-how-copyright-laws-protect-your-art/
IANAL, and I think this is more of the "ideal" how we think/like copyright to work. Then there is this asshole:
please use archive.is2015/5/30/8691257/richard-prince-instagram-photos-copyright-law-fair-use

Again, IANAL, but yeah, that could, potentially, if the original artist wanted to pursue it, and could reasonably determine to a judge that real damages occurred, be fodder for a lawsuit.
If you want to use the AGDG logo, I'd say use it in good faith on a project that won't embarrass the community and you should be fine. Worst comes to worst, someone contacts you and you have to change the art asset later.
*polite sage for double posting

Why don't we create a new /agdg/ logo for 8/agdg/, that's specifically in the public domain then?
Using it on something good is also a risk, because if your game is successful, there's something to sue you over. There's no use in pressing charges against someone with no money.

sadly no i got this from some user a long time ago i saved it, so i may use. but i wanted to get use to realism so i can get good at proportions and try to make my own aesthetic. pic of what im working on now. note it is not finished.

Cause we're too busy working on our demos for tomorrow? :D

One complication is that the "Just Like Make Game" meme is associated with it too, which means we can't use that phrase since it's linked to that brand

Wasn't the original artist an user? How could he/she prove they have the right to it?

Anonymous copyright works a bit differently, it's for 50 years after initial publication, and you have to prove you are the original author somehow first. I am fairly sure no one can prove when the /agdg/ logo was first used, and that no one can reliably prove to be the one who created it, so you can use it and literally no one can do anything about it at any point in time.

Also note that there's faggots selling /agdg/ shirts and they haven't been sued.
redbubble.com/people/nintendino/works/16351066-agdg-logo?p=t-shirt

progress

var types = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetTypes(); foreach (var type in types) { var methods = type.GetMethods(); foreach (var method in methods) { TickAttribute tick; if ((tick = method.GetCustomAttribute()) != null) { // Okay so we can get the method name, but we don't have a reference to the object it belongs to. } } }

problem now is that i don't actually have an object reference to the class that the method belongs to, so i can't call it. will have to find an elegant way of getting it.

Well theoretically if you are working with a scene that contains instances of those objects you can cross check each instance of an object against the list of classes you have that adhere to your attribute.
Another thing you could try are Interfaces.

i suppose i could store a static list of all attribute instances in the attribute itself, but then i have the problem of finding out the object that specific instance of the attribute is attached to.

This actually kinda pisses me off. Redbubble is making money off this. Am I alone here?

fugg
fugg

That means you can too

wow, my dude. Why didn't you share that gamejam project here? we can rig the voting for you

eighth-exodus.itch.io/dietotenmaske
itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/191313
No point in voting for something unless you actually like it, but eh. There's also a release thread up at that no one gives a shit about but I'm okay with that.
If you've been here for long enough, you might recognize some bits from a mechanical prototype one of the devs slapped together ages ago and posted here.

Demo day is in six hours for me.

Only burger time matters.

I won't quote every post, but I was wondering myself for a while about using the AGDG logo as the game/dev logo. I guess maybe it is more hassle than it's worth.

I'm locked in and ready, but I was waiting for a burger to make the new thread. Or at least for this one to get stickied.

5.5 hours here.

Even so, I'm going to pull an all nighter and post something at 8 am EST, which gives me about 13 hours to try to get it out

Man, following a gamedev bot is like having shitposts delivered right to your doorstep

Is the demoday thread up?

Anyways you can get my stuff at
>>>/agdg/29837

>Spend almost the entire day making three different designs for smoke detectors with hidden cameras in them.
Guess I'll see you guys in the next one.

It's so Ultima inspired that I'm tempted to release it as "Not-Ultima". One of the things I'm hoping to bring is a fleshed-out dialogue chain for NPCs which can reward players who prod, like the manager of this warehouse in the starting village who can give you tips about the nearby towns. Asking him further about the cobbler will drop a tip that you might be able to get him to make armor pieces from leather. Otherwise, I'm hoping to improve upon the original formula.

Huh, I looked up Wyvern and I remembered playing it after seeing storm giants. I had forgotten about it.

Line of sight is off a little bit right now, but I need it to be pretty tight, since enemies will not initiate combat unless they have vision. I'm working pretty hard on polishing stuff like that, since subpar vision/lighting has plagued most Ultima-like games, and it's really annoying.

As long as you are making progress, friend. Demos come and go, but progress is eternal.

My issue is putting together the content to actually demo, since I've been dealing with constant tests involving floating icons and random numbers. I've put together some drafted locations and encounters, though without magic implemented, the mage and the priest will serve the role of bench warmers.

Even if you are the last user to release it, just do it user
Don't give up

Please let me know how you plan to manage your dialog trees and have your choices both display a string and query certain stats. I can't fathom how to dump it into a string table or what not and poll game objects that might not even exist

This guy's vision algorithm is pretty solid
adammil.net/blog/v125_roguelike_vision_algorithms.html

How much you wan to bet that his dialog trees resemble a quarterstaff?

Here's one for you, Satan.

I have so many issues with your post.
But worst of all,

Silly user, if it has green landscapes and a medieval aesthetic, it MUST be an RPG

I think it's more likely that he's thinking "If I make it in RPGMaker it must be an RPG!"

try sculpting. It helps me with getting the main forms of the character down, especially if its stylized.
Retopo is a bitch to do but it's worth it imo

LuaJIT's best use case is as a scripting language for C++. That's how I use it. Dynamically reload AI scripts, level generating scripts, camera movement scripts during runtime. You get the flexibility of Lua with the speed of C/C++. Lua mostly calls C++ functions through the very simple and powerful LuaJIT FFI system. Pretty much all data lives in C++ stack and heap.

So, I think this entire comparison is contrived. Speed of C++, ease of use of Lua .. or Java. Look, I don't care if you like Java whatever. No one really cares. It sucks, but if you're comfortable with it don't let anyone stop you. But you need to realize people aren't using LuaJIT like people are using Java. It's a small, simple language designed to be embedded in larger projects written in compiled languages. It adds flexibility where you need it and can trade speed for it.

It's weird, because the RPG Maker games I've had the most fun with were never RPGs.

does anyone know any good non photo-realistic rendering tutorials for zbrush? Not for making games but just making a render image with.

Thanks, that's good reading.

Right now, my NPCs have three things relevant to dialogue: a state, a schedule, and a script. The state can change the NPCs schedule. The schedule determines not only where or what an NPC will be doing at a given time, but what script they are using. The script is a link to a file of dialogue used by the NPC when you speak to them. Script files have flags to them. There is the normal flag, and there are other flags in NPCs that might use them to change their dialogue as it continues.

When you talk to an NPC and say something, it will check their schedule for their script, the script for the current flag, and then check if the NPC understands what you said. If so, it will return the designated line of dialogue.

For the most part, conversations aren't gated. If you ask the warehouse manager in my picture about Trinton before asking him about the region, the result is (and should be) the same. You can ask them anything you like. I'm using custom little tags at the start of each line to determine whether a special action should be taken. For example, I check the start of each conversation line for >> and all text leading up after it until it reaches a space, and if it exists, it queues that as the next dialogue option. The tag itself gets removed from the string before it gets sent to print. I haven't had a reason to print things in conversations such as specific character values, so I haven't approached that. I am querying stats like what hour it is by using the tag /hr, which it replaces with the current hour before it prints the dialogue. I imagine I can just expand that for other things I'll need to print.

I imagine none of that is helpful for a game with more structured conversation.

I don't disagree, but you could also use a better language, e.g. Python, which has a lot more external tooling, libraries, and support as well as C interop.
I only brought up Java because I wanted an example of a JIT compiler that doesn't suck as bad as Lua's. I was specifically correcting his claim that LuaJIT is "really fucking fast" which it fucking isn't. I have no problem with Lua.
Also there's no reason to be a pretentious prick and say "Look, I don't care if you like Java whatever. No one really cares. It sucks."

I really liked how older games had a topic system, such as Exile. Newer games like say, Baldur's Gate or Avernum had a more structured system. Morrowind is more classic. Something that could handle both of those, that would be ideal.

One dream project of mine would be a Blades of Exile/Avernum clone

This is some more gameplay of rouge commander, this is me beating level 1. Right now it's looking good.

that's some funky music
ebin

You can also drop them out during combat, and if they hit an enemy you can get kills that way too.

Someone else mentioned this already, but the word you want is Rogue. Rouge is a type of makeup.

I know, it's just that I don't want to bother fixing it. Maybe it's a little bait-y but I don't have time.

The next level will be a 2d platformer. So, that will be cool to playtest.

But can you shoot a man after throwing him out of a helicopter?

MADMAN
A
D
M
A
N

Can you shoot a man before throwing him out of the helicopter?

I'm wondering why you would shoot someone before you throw them out of a helicopter?

Please, no. There are limits when you have a deadline.

Don't worry, there is some old code that will allow me to do it.

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Demoday thread is not up yet.. i want to sleep

may be best to make it a bit early, i need to crash too.
what u anons think?

Hey dudes I need to go to sleep but want to post my demo. what do?

shiggy

10h energy drink

nah dude I need to go do patriotic stuff during the day.

Even if its bad, try to at least finish a level.
Don't fall into the unfinished project spiral. Treat everything as a goal, a stepping stone. The more you fuck up, the more you learn.
Your next finished project will be better.

oshit its remembrance day

This is some footage of the "game over" screen and what happens if you lose.

Don't fix this, the pun is great.

These spelling mistakes are not intentional

Unity's been surprising me a lot lately.

*Insert Liberty Prime line*

Well I made an object list
pastebin.com/raw/secS0Kq4

Let's see how many I can implement in 9 hours

8agdg.wikidot.com/beelzebox

I likely won't be able to post it at the start of the demoday thread so here it is. Have a good night or morning, y'all.

Stupid question. Where would I put my demo up for you guys?

My game is less than 1 MB
I'm using Mropbox, myself

dropbox* fuck

So it doesn't matter where I upload it? I just gotta toss a link here and say IT'S FOR DEMO DAY

Nope.

My project isn't even an .exe you donut

Come on user, it'll be just like the good old days

What is it, a leenux game?

I'm familiar with lostboy.exe. I'm just genuinely curious about how the fuck this works.
it's a doom mod, a borderline gameplay TC

The wiki suggests using MEGA, but I think any uploader will do.

Looks like it continues at plenty of values. :^)

Ideally I would be making an array to hash input->output or even a switch statement, but I don't have time for that

Any reason you can't use a less than statement?

Because those are placeholders and I'm actually calling functions now

You have >30 different functions that are going to be called? Could you tell me what exactly that code is doing?

Regardless, have a meme.

Doing hacky things in time for demo day

excuse me my dude
if (d

This made my night

Game now reads all .png images in a directory, and generates a file list. Then uses this file list to load textures from another supplied files that define frame data (for animations, etc). It's handled dynamically and mostly not hardcoded, for once.

Oh shit I didn't even see it was an edit, ha

This is my progress, I know the collisions are retarded, but i'll fix them whatever

Okay I read the wiki, so it looks like someone is gonna make a demoday thread on Holla Forums later? So I'll just wait til that thread pops up

My body is ready, too bad I have to wait for a Burger to post.

Looking good so far! I doubt I will be able to implement any enemies but, this is good work for the time I put in.

So do I post my demo here and its included in some OP post? Or do I just post in the thread?

I think go to /agdg/ and make a dedicated thread there, then wait for the stickied Demo Day thread and crosslink there when ready.

Inventory is kinda done again

Quoting the wiki, it says

I am so confused

/agdg/xxx to your thread in THIS thread

I mean in the demo day Holla Forums thread

DEMO DAY IS ON BOYOOOS
>>>/agdg/29845
>>>/agdg/29845
>>>/agdg/29845
>>>/agdg/29845
>>>/agdg/29845

POST in the /agdg/ demo day thread that is linked.
I will make the Holla Forums demo day thread shortly.
I will link it here, and on that agdg demo day thread.

Looks like there's a demo day thread u-
Oh.

Holla Forums DEMO DAY BREAD IS HOT n' TOASTY

POST in the Holla Forums demo day thread >>>13774137 and POST in the /agdg/ demo day thread linked here >>>/agdg/29845

I'm SLIGHTLY autistic excuse me

good news boyos, the Holla Forums demo day bread is stickied.
i surmise that there will be more community participation when the burgers get on, as most are asleep (12:40am pst, 3:40am est)

I think I'm going to give up. I can't model on my own and none of the models I've downloaded work.

If any modellers want to take a stab at this and get a shot at working on a Violated Heroine-like game (just not shit) feel free to step forward, I could really use some help.

fuck me

maybe in 50 years I will have something. its not like they were in a somewhat playable state

Same. I was indecisive for how my code should be in the days leading up to it, that I only had 12h left to work on it, so I pulled an all nighter and basically hardcoded spaghetti into my main loop to make it functional … it's not good.

I need to make "systems" so it can handle things better.

But here's what I have right now if anyone wants to take a look. Not worth posting in the demo thread, though.

dropbox.com/s/yxinslqwlhrw0ql/Autumn Willow DEMO Nov 11-17.zip?dl=0

Fucking google "luajit vs java benchmark".

One specific benchmark is a shit example of comparing two languages which is exactly what I said in my post. LuaJIT does some things well, other things not so well. You completely missed the point of my post to eagerly post language wars level shit and tell us blatantly obvious stuff like how C++ is faster. Yes, we could all use C or C++ for our games but personally I like the flexibility that Lua has and allows me to prototype things quickly and easily without having to extensively plan out my classes and refactor them constantly.

Horrible.

Well at least you can write your own code and if I see it right even your own engine, so you are in better state then I am. The only major skill I have is making hard surface models. You can at least improve your code and make it less "shit" so to say.

For the skullshit tonk mod I have I am stuck between 2 hard choices either I use the ACS script for vehicles controls made by somebody else and make it single player only or not use that and then get stuck with a poor tonk control. I tried the latest GZDoom branch which has a decorate function for detecting keys and the result was even worse where one function like driving doesn't work at all when the player is firing his gun. So this is my only issue with that, the other is that I have yet to make several maps. And when I see what the fuck Graf Zahl is doing with his source port it is making me even more depressed.

I don't know enough of the ACS stuff in order to fix this vehicle control script, I can only steal the other scripts and modify it in a way so that it works in my mod and that's it. On my side the vehicle script acted pretty buggy in multiplayer. So I would need to learn ACS somehow in order to fix the multiplayer part, which at this point I am not even sure if it will work in the first place.

And the thing with Spring is that its pathfinding over the years has not improved and I used to play a lot of it back in the days which is several years ago, their forum is in a bad shape as well where other content developers get banned over some discussion and its not any random content devs either but someone who worked on their game for several years, the ban was not permanent but it is something to consider about the moderator priorities. I don't even know anymore why I bothered with this engine this year when I very well know its pathfinding is shit I'm sorry to the other anons who are interested in my project and I let you guys down

t. tonk autist pro

user don't lose hope, im horrible at modeling, but im trying, today i will probably spend the day looking for better references and studying topology to remake my model
You can do it too

I'm just not an artist, I've tried many times before

same here, im not a good programmer either
im an idea guy with a dream

While Demoday is still going on I'm gonna keep working on this guy.
I AM ANGRY.
ANGRY ABOUT DEMONS.

My post on the demoday thread got deleted. I guess it's time to give up and die.

nice

Was it one of the botmod deletions? sys.8ch.net/log.php?board=v

Pretty sure that site is banned

Yes, it is. It's constantly used to spam CP, so there's an automated system that bands anyone who uses it.

Here's the text in case you want to repost
Thanks for mentioning in the OP. Here's a bit more on my demo.The game's called BEELZEBOX. It's an action RPG. I'm trying to re-capture some of the charm of the original Diablo.DOWNLOAD HERE:[removed]and here, for those less trusting:shodanon.itch.io/beelzeboxThe download you want is the DemoDay BeelzeBox.zip. It's a 32 bit build for Windows.Most of you know how to play typical isometric ARPGs, but for those of you who don't there's a recap on the wiki:8agdg.wikidot.com/beelzeboxHope you guys have fun playing this early build. I'll be happy to answer any questions and will accept any criticism. It's likely that if you have a suggestion, I'll be implementing it!You can either give your feedback here or in the dedicated /agdg/ thread:>>>/agdg/29865Again, have fun and good luck. Post your scores too.

yup, auto ban so don't worry, happened to me earlier too

What is up, my niggers
Im trying to set up walking in my barebones "physics engine", but right now it behaves like a spaceship with thrusters. What you're looking at is supposed to be a top down view, pressing WSAD is setting accelerations to +/-1000 or 0 if nothing is pressed.

a helpful mod just reposted your deleted post, but the imgs/webm were presumably deleted
i'd recommend linking your images/webms to the repost so it's clear which game it is

i'll post some of the screenshot images but i don't have the webm

To contrast, this would be with just linear velocity manipulation which doesn't get dampened. Its completely controlled and the speed is fixed, but it's stiff and unnatural, i would want something in the middle, accelerating until a fixed speed is reached, quickly decelerating when stopped and slightly leaning into curves. How could i achieve that?

Why are you multiplying the velocity by pow(velocityDamping, dt)? Shouldn't it just be velocityDamping * dt? It just seems like you should increase your velocityDamping value.

thank you all for helping with this. The webm is back up.

And I'm back home. Time to play some demos.

If i do that, the velocity struggles to reach even just 1, because it would be multiplied with extremely small values each tick. Velocity damping is 0.5f right now, and with the power expression it's halving the velocity every second.

I've done this where the damping gets massively increased at 0 acceleration, to make a faster stop. I think with some number tweaking this could work out, but how do i get acceleration to stop at a maximum speed? Sorry for the double post

I usually only apply the dampening if there is no input. That way it's easy to ensure an exact acceleration/deacceleration.

Something like this:
if length(velocity + acceleration) < maximumSpeed: velocity = velocity + acceleration;else: velocity = velocity.normalized() * maximumSpeed;

Do you ever get the sudden realisation when you're taking a few break days that you have absolutely nothing to do if you don't dev because you usually spend most of your free time working on a variety of stuff for gamedev?

I hadn't realised I completely dropped all my hobbies

I know that feel, user.

Yeah, kinda. Aside from video games themselves, almost all of my hobbies were related to gamedev in the first place, but combined with the ones I picked up just for gamedev, it all just seems like one big hobby now.
There's not enough time in the day to practice it all, and it's easy to get burned out, since it's all related. But it's still leagues healthier than not having any hobbies, I think. Really, I think it's just because of how broad video games are. Any creative hobby can be put towards gamedev in some way or another, and so can many that aren't creative. Lifting is the only one of mine that's not directly related, and I'd like to try including a martial art and 3-Gun, if I had the money. But even those are partially for the benefits to animation, which ties back to gamedev.
Do you feel like you just want to fight all the time? Not necessarily in an angry way, just as an outlet for a shitton of male aggression. None of my hobbies, even lifting, really let me let loose in that way, and I'm betting that it's common.

for fuck sake

Thank you, pic related is how i implemented your solution, it works great now.

Yes, for me lifting increases that. I can recommend boxing or some other martial art once a week on an off day, it makes for the most enjoyable cardio there is and you should do some cardio even when bulking, just don't do it on the same day you train.

Okay, so I think I figured out a way to get parentable behaviors, which should simplify object type chains (eg, a key behaves a certain way, and its a falling object which behaves another way, but it's also an object in general…)

The only question is if it makes more sense to maintain a Stack, or just recurse it like so? (Personally I like it how it is, since it's one less thing I have to pass around)

I see you're using ECS, got any good tutorials/git repo examples?

So maintain two states, Current and Previous, and compare the PRESS or RELEASE state between them - if it's pressed in both cases, it's held, otherwise it's a press or a release and not a half press

Yes, im using this one:
github.com/redxdev/ECS

It's just one .h file and very simple to use. Components are just structs, the getters and so on are all short and quick to type. Found it yesterday, the readme explains it well.

Yeah I know. It just annoys me it's inconsistent with keyboard and mouse input. Those also have callbacks, whereas for gamepads I have to get it with a function call. And now apparently also hold my own copy of the state just to manually check for the repeat state.

Thanks microshit

I JUST INSTALLED THE DEV THING FOR .NET FRAMEWORK 4.5 WHY AREN'T YOU DETECTING IT AND WHY DOES YOUR SHITTY APPLICATION JUST LAUNCH THE BROWSER INSTEAD OF GIVING ME MORE OPTIONS I AM MAD

Back in the day i used ot uninstall older versions of the framework, but i heard its better to leave them there and find other way to solve the problem, so i don't know how to help, sorry
checked

How can you possibly be mad with numbers like these on your side?

Well I guess I'm not changing to Monogame after all. Apparently I require .NET 4.5.2 to run it at minimum, and this requires Windows 7 (which I have) and Visual Studio 2013 or 2015, I have C# express 2010 because it's smaller and less cancerously bloated than later versions

I DONT EVEN NEED THE FUCKING FEATURES THE NEW VERSION OFFERS, IM JUST USING BASIC C# STUFF, I HATE EVERYTHING

I have nothing to show on this day of the demo. Nothing complete, anyway. I'm using Simple Media Layer (SDL) API in C++ and a map editing application called Tiled to rebuild Cave Story. I am doing this because fuck using game engines, I just need this one library. Here is what I have so far, I have only learned how to display all of my assets to the screen, I need to move on to learning about physics and implementing attacks and such. I plan to eventually use what I have learned to rebuild other games, like maybe the original Super Mario or Zelda II, and then I will move on to produce my own games with the information that I have learned. This is my goal for next year. SDL has a comprehensive documentation and it's described as a "low level API" so maybe I should be able to get the hang of it well enough.

Thanks dude

L O L

I just started a new VS project, with all my old setting. Stripped away all the extra bullshit fluff that VS does, made it nice, sleek, and elegant. I'm going to do it properly this time

Just make the jump to OpenGL and WinAPI, it's got much less bullshit. C# and frameworks sound really lame.

I don't want to re-learn how to approach the same thing from a different framework's way. One day I will, though.

What did you do?
It sounded like all you needed to do was get the newest version of .NET
TBH just write you game in XNA and do your porting to Monogame when you're prepping for release.

Confirmed for never writing a program in winAPI
following handmade hero doesn't count btw;^)

I have never watched handmade hero and I have written all of my games in WinAPI. The only tutorials that I used are online here:

winprog.org/tutorial/
nehe.gamedev.net/tutorial/creating_an_opengl_window_(win32)/13001/

After reading those two, the only resource that I use now is MSDN's online documentation, because I can do all of the basic things myself. I can write the basic window creation code almost from memory, and I remember a lot of the things you have to do for simple tasks.

It still has some minor bullshit, but it gives you the facilities to deal with it. Like making animations play while dragging a window around.

Since it's the same goal, there is nothing that you have to conceptually re-learn. You just need to learn more detailed things about how the systems you use work.

I wanted to release my game on toasters, which includes Windows XP for a Japanese audience, maybe (implying they'll play western trash). Anyways, XNA supports it and Monogame does not.

The issue with upgrading is that I NEED to use a newer version of Visual Studio for some reason (2013 instead of 2010) but I don't feel like registering for another trial key.

MonoGame needs .NET 4.5, which needs Visual Studio 2013

Also we're almost on page 13, is someone making a new thread or we using the sticky or what?

We should make a new thread. The sticky is for demos, not general game development.

New thread.

Update to a newer VS to be compliant with .NET 4.5, compile your game with XNA for windows and with Monogame for extended platform support, IE linux and mac