Was anything else even close to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

view-coplease
archive.is/ruTHm
hooktube.com/watch?v=9-VfvXpy9KE)
hooktube.com/watch?v=GQZLEegUK74).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes? What does that game do that is so special? Have you ever played Allied Assault motherfucker?

Singlehandedly ushered in the FPS/dual thumbstick console era + was incredibly faithful to the movie incorporating all the sets and characters into the game.

It's weird how in games things are praised for creating cancer.

How about an actually GOOD adaptation, like Chronicles of Riddick series?

Don't forget it had widescreen support and region-free ports 3 console generations before that became standard. Old Rare was the only reason Nintendo survived the N64.

Then they got bought out by M$ and forced to do kinect games, while letting their games die. Mojang will probably go the same way.

The King kong videogame was better than the movie

So fucking true.

(checked)
was about to post the same spoiler as you

What?
They marginally changed the characterization of one person, and otherwise took liberties by adding additional levels from scenes Bond wasn't in, but also had every key scene from the movie in the game.

Spiderman 2 for the game cube

Shit game that's praised for being good because people said it was.

Golden Eye is one of those games that has an important place in videogame history, but you can't go back and play it again. I've tried, and time hasn't been kind to it at all. That said, for what it was and when it happened, it was one of the better movie-to-game products.

Pretty much, and not just proof that you could make a good license game, but that consoles could have good shooters, on top of all the technology crammed into the game. Granted, in hindsight that brought upon us cancer like Halo and Call of Duty/Medal of Honor (who, likewise, were praised for their innovation when they came out), but that's how things go.

Can be said for many classics. Some age better than others though.

even ignoring the fact that this isn't really a good thing and focusing on the impact the game objectively had, dual thumbsticks was a radically different control scheme to this game. all it did was prove FPSes can sell on console if you make the controls easy enough

Goldeneye is probably the only movie game that's more famous than the actual movie.

Only because theres no distinguishing one james bond film from another other than what actor it has.

Out of all the Bond movies I like Goldeneye the most. It strides a good balance between the cheesier early movies and the more serious later ones, it doesn't go overboard with the gadget bullshit, the plot is fairly interesting and well acted and it has very good scenes, plus all the actresses are hot.

STALKER

GE was never good for anything other than multiplayer with your friends, and PD shit all over it in that category. That said, playing the custom 60fps version of GE with perfect M/KB controls is surprisingly decent.

Assault on Dark Athena kind of sucked, but Escape from Butcher Bay was great.

Here's when you realize that some people like things you don't like. Learn to live with it you cocksucker.

It's inspired by the movie and the story, but it's, at best, fanfiction. The Zone in both the story and the book is nothing like the Zone of STALKER.

Quality-wise, still by far the best game based on a movie.

The movie was average at best and the game was GOAT levels despite basing level design on the movie not because of it.
Cradle, Streets and Runway are all perfect examples of terrible levels forced into the game to fit the movie, play it again and you'll see how much better it would have been if they had more creative freedom.

Tomorrow Never Dies was a better game.

The more we've had these threads, I've realized there are actually several good movie games along with tons of decent ones. The sheer volume of shovelware seems to warp people's perception. Shame how most movie adaptations are just LEGO copypasta games nowadays, but at least they're passable at worst. The real challenge is finding a good movie of a game.

*I found out that using aim and c-buttons make Goldeneye far easier in single player. The stopping and aiming feels like a weird precursor to RE4 in a way.*

Goldeneye was the best Bond movie of its era. The locations made for some great levels too.

Yes.

God you're a faggot.

Anyway, I think most James Bond games were great. My dad and I played them together all the time. I prefer Nightfire to Goldeneye, however.

Strictly speaking CoD 1 is multiple films and Band of Brothers (a series of tv mini-films). I'd say Brothers in Arms but Gearbox actually did a fuckton of independent research for that, it just happens to use a lot of similar sources to BoB. Also Goldeneye, while technologically impressive, isn't actually that good an FPS in comparison to what was available on the PC at the time.

Come to think of it Tron 2.0 isn't technically an adaptation, it's a sequel. Same is true of the Ghostbusters game that's more or less Ghostbusters three.

Fuck, I knew there was one I'd forgotten.

Untrue, the two Dalton era films were darker and somewhat closer to the books while the Moore-era films were extremely camp/tongue-in-cheek to the point of being almost comedy films and quite frankly also a bit shit. You've got a point with the bulk of the Connery, Brosnan and Craig films though.

You niggers should take meds.

You go Timmy.

Fucking plebeians all of you

Bullshit. I played through the campaign for the first time fairly recently and it has one of the best campaigns in any FPS I've ever played. I love that it gives you objectives to complete but you have to figure out how to do so on your own, without a harpy on your shoulder screaming hints at you and holding your hand the entire way. It's like a classic id shooter in that respect ("here's your level, find the exit") but with more to figure out. No checkpoints, no waypoints, do it in one run and figure it out as you go or you die. And higher difficulties adding more objectives is a game design no-brainer that we've lost because of the "all players must experience all of the content because we paid good money for it, goy" mindset.

I guarantee you all of the faggots shitting on Goldeneye ITT are underageb& tilting at the windmill of "90's kids."

That Alien game "

What about Resident Evil?

Only millennials care about their infancy console shooter

Fucking youtubers.

Because stalker is fallout in jugoslavia.

I think the great music made Goldeneye not just a good game but a memorable game.

You ever actually play the game It's pretty fucking tough.

all those years and i still can't unsee it
fuck me

Your memory is a little fuzzy there - Goldeneye had the then-standard single-stick FPS controls as used in Doom and Wolfenstein (and later Metroid Prime.)

The "dual-stick" control system didn't really come along until Perfect Dark, and even then not really, since the N64 didn't HAVE a second stick. I think it's Halo that's really to blame for popularizing the weird two-sticks-and-shoulder-buttons layout that's now standard for FPS.

I cant believe nobody answered this yet.

also

10/10 game, spend hours playing it.

This will be a gem remembered for all time.

Mike, what are you doing on Holla Forums?

be an excellent FPS for its time, console of all things, and stepping stone in the genre.
It's just a solid game with very creative programming to keep high FPS. Goldeneye is a testament Rare could do whatever they wanted.

The game you linked looks like a granddaddy of immersive realistic GRAPHIXX war shooter.

you could use two controllers to get the standard dual stick setup

Wish I could find the edit of his headshot that matches it.

The bugs life videogame for nintendo 64 /PS1 was actually legit fine

Disney Interactive was not a shit studio. They did a good job with the Hercules 2d Platformer for PC too.

i used to own a copy of that game
then my dad took it and other games away to give to salvation army one day
he did that every now and then as i grew up

Your father is a horrible person.
Its YOUR game. should ask you first if its ok.

Anyway they also did Tarzan for the PS1

Chicken little was also a decent platformer for the gamecube.
I don't think Disney Interactive was a good developer studio but they were good students and good for the little experience they had. They took inspiration from Rare and respected good formulas, instead of going for focus group, casualized garbage like today. That alone is worth respecting in a sense.
You can tell every one of their games gets better and better as they polish their skills.
After Chicken little they didn't do anything else really worthwhile, I don't think. But that team did all those games, from 3d platforming to 2d platforming, and they learned the best of each in Tarzan making a 2D with 3D segments, and chicken little being perhaps their best 3D platformer

Doesn't hold a candle to rare's Goldeneye, but I thought it would be worth mentioning. I believe I played all these games as a child, and as an adult I can appreciate the developer's effort more, albeit their end product not being as 10/10 as the games they inspired or learned from.

why give a fuck? just care about the game being fun

Perhaps their best aspect is the creativity they encompassed with the little creative freedom they have being limited to licensed games, by learning that what matters is the substance in the game and not just the premise or setting.

I was about to talk about Mummy Cummies.
Wayforward did a good job just grabbing the liscene and merely making it a setting to work with instead of the shitty setting or story polluting the game.

Mummy Cummies, the old disney games (Like SNES aladdin or Disney's Magical Quest starring mickey mouse) is a perfect example of how licensed games should be worked with.

Also disappointed we don't get to beat the fuck out of ahmanet to the point she has to acknowledge player character being stronger. We never got a gruesome satisfying killing the boss animation and fucking ahmanet was a cunt the entire game. I guess it's because this is a prequel to the movie, but whatever

For some reason I have a soft spot for Enter The Matrix. I just generally had a lot of fun with it back in the day. I never got into Path Of Neo though

Discs of Tron wasn't good.
NES's Batman was good. The gameplay was good but it was the music+atmosphere what really made the game.
I still have fond memories of the Star Wars platformers but none of them was memorable. I have replayed Super Empire Strikes Back and everything feels just random and unfair. The trilogy GBA game had some good ideas but was a dissapointment.

Revenge of the Sith for GBA was excellent. I liked the graphics aesthetics, buying new abilities with XP and the fact that the boss fights were true 2D which meant all the tactics about moving up and down the screen were useless and you had to focus on blocking and jumping. Glorious. Oh, add to that that Anakin and Obi-Wan had different paths (one fights General Grievous, the other fights Mace Windu) and had different endings. There's a third ending if you beat the game in Hard. Beat it four times, it was that good.

This one is replayable. The PC version had some small cinematics but the N64 version had better controls.

Shadows of the Empire shouldn't count because it had no movie.
The fact that the game, the novel, the comic & the soundtrack came out at the same time was amazing, specially how they complemented each other. For example, although the novel was very thorough only the game detailed the adventures of the smuggler Dash Rendar, while the comic explained exactly what was doing Boba Fett between episodes 5 & 6.

I believe you can read the whole comic in:
view-coplease use archive.is.com (use archive.is)/star-wars-shadows-of-the-empire-001-marvel-edition-2015/

Trying again:
archive.is/ruTHm

I went back and played the PC port of it and it holds up pretty damn well. They also made a second game on PS2 which tried to be more burnout like focusing on crashing, which detracted from the GO FAST. It's still ok

Reminder the N64 version could have a cheatcode put in to use two controller sticks like the Arcade version
And since Disney is denying all prequels basically we'll never get another game about podracing.

Also on the topic of Star wars, this is just Vigilante 8 with a coat of Star wars paint. So basically a boogie van with a Star wars mural on the side

Dune II, obviously inspired by the 1984 movie.
The birth of the modern RTS games.
Game has aged fast but it was the obvious inspiration of WarCraft (Blizzard even stole the fonts). Westwood refined their ideas later for the first Command & Conquer.

What's really crazy is that the wizardry they employed to convert the music into something the N64 could handle somehow made it better than the original music. Compare the original Cradle (hooktube.com/watch?v=9-VfvXpy9KE) and the N64 Cradle (hooktube.com/watch?v=GQZLEegUK74). The original feels bland in comparison.

that batman game was balls hard, although I was just a kid and probably retarded

The Warriors game is better than the film

I prefer the SNES version because the graphics have better texture to them.

The Mansion in that game is such an awesome and memorable level. I should post that in the Mansion games thread.

Oh come on, at least post the proper game.
That Mos Espa level alone was unimpeachable.

Man, I loved that game so much, kamikaze podracers, that sniper woman, playing chess on Naboo to get weapon upgrades, the Hoth theme remix, good times.

ADA did nothing wrong and fixed flaws EFBB had.

Those are all terrible adaptations though. Good game != good adaptation. Super Star Wars was great but hardly any of it was accurate to the film.

You're thinking of COD 2: Big Red One. You know, the one so much like Band of Brothers the voice actors in the game are the actors from Band of Brothers.

FUCKING CONSOLENIGGERS
You know what "invented" speedrunning, if anything? DOS shooters that had par times. Fucking nigger.
Kill yourself.

He points out that it's semi biased and that it's more to do with what established the community rather than the sport itself.

Pfft no that game shallow and looked and played like shit. The Mos Espa level does not reflect the quality of the whole game.

Maybe play something other than Nintendo games before you formulate an opinion.

It's still weird to think that rare (the brand at least, what's left of it) and its IPs are now Microsoft property, to me rare is still synonymous with Nintendo.

plus the game is shit compared to timesplitters 2

They're both different games.

I never noticed.

Aliens on PS1 beat it to the punch by years, user.

Wouldnt say its better than the films, but the Lord of the Rings Hack and Slash games were pretty good.

Fucking flag

You have to be genuinely new to have never seen those before.

Been here for 3 years now
Never seen this around

I liked the movie, I liked the game.

That meme is at least 10 years old

I might be wearing nostalgia goggles but I agree 100%.

I can see their lack of experience with small things, such as coding or small tricks utilized. It's not a lack of attention to detail but rather experience in the industry with small things. But by no means they were lazy. I can also see the budget fix in small things, but you can safely state Disney Interactive was an honest developer. Idle animations, quest giving characters with personality, etc. They didn't have the experience, but they put the effort and they knew the things that had to be there to compete with the market quality wise, with less budget they had from being a liscenced game.

Honestly, at the time, it WAS weird. I've gotten used to it in the 20+ years since then, but back at the time Goldeneye came out, dual stick was absolutely not standard.

Admittedly, prior to Goldeneye I'd never played an FPS on anything but the PC, but they'd all had pretty much the same control scheme: up and down arrows to move, with left and right turning you. IIRC strafing was accomplished by holding Shift when pressing left or right.

Not gonna argue that twin-stick controls (and more importantly, mouse support) weren't big improvements to FPS controls, but at the time they were very different and most definitely weird.

No you retard. Millennials suck the dick of Halo, super hard. Also there was nothing wrong with Goldeneye.

Ew gross. Gen Z scum.

Is there even a difference between Millenials and Gen Z?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z

The gameboy version was dope too.

0/10, try harder next time.

I guess that counts, there were movie adaptations after all.

This game is DOPE!

This. All of the first 3 HP games were great. However I've played them only on PC and I've heard there's quite a difference between the console and PC versions.