Muh Retro

When did all that "retro gaming is cool" trend began? I swear there were some people who were asking "when will Xbox360 be considered retro?"

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU))
hol.abime.net/2754/conversionshot
hol.abime.net/872/conversionshot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

some of the retards at /agdg/ think it's acceptable to have le epic retro graphics with crt shader on top of it, especially this specific retard game that's not even made for a crt, literal garbage

Probably mid 90s with the Namco Museum collections.
It'll probably never feel retro to you, but 20 years is a good threshold.

Do you mean more of when demand and thus prices for past gen games and systems started to get really jacked up, or more of when the aesthetic got latched onto by indie shitters?

Fucking gamestop was already labelling Xenoblade as "vintage" by in 2013 or so, but that might have just been there own internal marketing as justification to ask scalper prices on reprint copies.

Wait, are you telling me retro games aren't supposed to look like this? Those fucking indie devs lied!

Both, although the former is what sparked the quote, people trying to hoard stuff and sell it as "retro", video related, although I don't blame you if you don't watch it.

This guy makes good content.

I want fuck him

That's when

You should watch his New Vegas review.

While on the one hand some less popular older games do deserve getting people to give them more of a look, there is the unfortunate drawback for the general consumer that such videos cause spikes in price and demand from people too inept/unwilling to emulate or pirate, or too impatient to wait for a good find and instead buying the first copy they come across, price be damned. Also the factor of whether or not the game/series fanbase ought to be flooded with an influx of shitters because [X faggot] reviewed [Y older game] favorably.

Somebody post the webm of this fag's New Vegas review.

(checked)
i recently started replaying blackthorne and i'm genuinely shocked at just how gorgeous it is. plenty of animation frames, vivid colors, great effects like rain or debris from explosions. god i wish brown and bloom didn't become the norm

I miss pre -2004 Blizzard.

Some time around 2006-2008, when mega man was still kosher and cave story had just begun to get popular.

Please no.

There's some worthwhile qualities that "retro" has, but chances are you won't find it in current day market, or only given skin deep treatment as faux retro graphics.

What makes some older era video games good, no microtransaction, no always online DRM, actual expansion packs not just shitty DLCs, you put the cart or disc or install the game, and off you go. No bullshit VA guilds, no vidya = hollywood 2.0 garbage. The limitations of the technology forced the better creators to try to be efficient and make the best with what is at hand. Instead of just throwing more hardware or cheaper pajeets at it as the first and only solution. Optimizing something was not a dirty word or met with butt muh piracy.

The real gems of retro gaming for me has little to do with nu retro graphics involving scanlines, over pixellations or 1px thick lo def "art".

Jesus Christ, he should have his aviators bolted onto his skull.

I miss when people would shut the fuck up about shitty Blizzard games.

Why are new vegasfags such fucking babies? This is what little children do. Pathetic!

This is exactly the type of cringey shit cuckfist would post, tbh.

As soon as 3D took over as the standard, there were people who wanted to go back to 2D sprite based games, partially for nostalgia, partially because they're just better in a lot of cases. 3D never really should have been pushed as hard as it was. It should have been a second pillar that grew up alongside 2D. We're just about back to where gaming should have been twenty years ago now.

Good 2D takes a ridiculous amount of work compared to good 3D, and making changes to assets throughout an iterative production process is so much easier and cheaper when you're dealing with 3D.

That's if you're insistent on making top of the line 2D art like Cuphead or Vanillaware or late SNK. You can still do something a little simpler but good enough looking, like a lot of modern indie games, or go the 2.5D route.

Standards have fallen, today's good was yesterday's average.

It began with gamers with actual nostalgia for older games, then as always cancer set in when popularity had risen above niche.

I'm failing to see how he's wrong here. This is what Dark Souls 2 did to pander to the "muh difficulty" crowd without understanding what legitimate difficulty is

fftfy faggot

Looking at, say, Tales, there was also an apparent unfortunate belief starting in sixth gen that people out here wouldn't want 2D sprited entries in that series, be it on SCEA or Bamco's end (to be fair, the prior 2D games we'd gotten in the series on the PS1 sold like shit anyhow), so aside from a frankensteined GBA port of Phantasia, the only Tales games the west saw during sixth gen were the 3D ones (Symphonia, Legendia, and Abyss), meaning we missed about half of the main series Tales games made during sixth gen most likely due to the graphical style being used. And even then, beyond a JP/EU only PSP port of Eternia and the money grubbing iPort of Phantasia, there hasn't been a single original sprite based Tales brought over since Eterning PS1 (and Bamco won't even put Destiny or Eternia on the PSN either).

I assumed that when you said:
That you meant top of the line 2D.

For AAA and low effort indie, sure, but I think we're still getting 1-3 top of the line games coming out every year, which is the trend we've been stuck on since ~2005.

(you)

He's completely missing the point of the game, and the entire RPG genre. You build a character. There are places you shouldn't be able to go right away without getting your ass kicked. An RPG is supposed to mimic the feel of a hero's journey. Imagine if Luke Skywalker could just waltz right into the Emporer's throne room and kick his ass without having gone through any ordeals, learned anything, progressed as a character. That's what he's asking for.

Well, it would have been nice, but I'm realistic enough to realise most company's are going to go with what's cost effective.

Isn't New Vegas a massive, very open world game?
I like areas where you can't easily go through early on in RPGs like the graveyard or new londo ruins in DaS. It sounds like what he describes is a lot less forgiveable simply because it isn't nearly as close to being as linear as Dark Souls is. Though I haven't played NV so I wouldn't know; feel free to enlighten me on that

Standards only goes up or down.

This isn't Skyrim where the world revolves around, fag.

But why should you be able to stroll through the whole world right out the gate? What's wrong with having "rough neighbourhoods" that you don't enter until you've gotten your shit together? When you're trying to create the illusion of a tough, unforgiving post apocalyptic world, that's what you want, isn't it?

I bet you'd fucking hate Gothic, then.

user I never said you shouldn't be able to. I just said I'm fine with that shit, but it seems like if you're going to pull that sort of shit that it should either A: be a bit less "out of the gate" available from the beginning of the game so as not to frustrate the player or B: provide a little more direction as to where the player should go before/after getting ass whupped. Basically give the player a little more time to acclimate to the world, give them the idea that they're facing a brutal, directionless world before sending them off to die somewhere in it (or live if they choose an easier path)

Why do you say that?

They do that. The correct path is made very clear to you. The area with the deathclaws that Razorfist is complaining about is literally signposted with "danger" warnings.

Alright. Then it sounds like he is just a retard and a casual then.

I hope you're not playing the SNES version.

Because you're dealing with an open world where the majority of places you can go right off the bat are full of shit that will shatter your shitter. You avoid this in the same way you do with New Vegas.
Cuckfist was throwing a shit fit because he couldn't charge right through the blatant DANGEROUS SHIT AHEAD, YOU BETTER HOLD ON TO YOUR ASSHOLE zone.

It's the resellers and collector market. Same thing happened in the tabletop RPG scene, when D&D 3e came out and all of a sudden a bunch of n00bs (or people who previously hated D&D and got hyped up for this new game that "fixed" all the "problems") started buying copies of previous editions, even though they had no real intentions of playing them. They're collectors, basically. They buy shit, preferably "mint" condition or (the holiest of grails) still in original shrink-wrap, so it can sit on their shelves.
But anyway, it doesn't matter much. You can emulate everything just about, or even use flash carts. And you can find PDFs of most RPG books. So whatever, man.

Cuphead already showed how real pros do retro

No wonder these hipster fags dong paint graphics are all atacking it

topkek, so he couldn't read basic signage and context clues is what I'm getting here
Describe Gothic to me user, how's the combat? Quests? Main storyline (if there is one)
Is it fun?
I'm vaguely interested now

Gothic 1/2 are still some of the best, most immersive 3D RPGs to date. The story is standard fantasy shit, but the quests are good, everything is fully voiced, the world is de-leveled and full of a frankly ridiculous amount of secrets. Combat wise, it's brutal. The best analogy I could give you would be a simplified version of Dark Souls combat without rolling, using only your keyboard. But there's a flow to the combat, and once you "get it", you can start tackling things well beyond what you should be fighting. Once enemies are dead, they're dead for good. The only new spawns will happen at certain chapter changes, and they're in addition to the old shit, if you haven't cleared that out yet.

I honestly can't recommend it enough. If you want to give it a go, grab the GoG version and the system pack (forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU)) which fixes the FPS cap and all of the notable bugs. Expect to die often until you get a grasp on the combat.

You're basically saying that normalfags are retarded kikes that don't know how economics work.

probably never since none of them will be functional anymore in 15 years

*5 years

Nostalgia, and that's only good when there's legitimate nostalgia. Also, I don't mind the retro aesthetic when done correctly.

Fuck off millennial, this shit started back in 2007 when geek became chic.

I mean yeah, that's probably 98% of Holla Forums, including you.

millennials are those born after the internet. That 1980s garbage is just gen Y trying to drag more down to their level. It's a popular yid trick, so it's obvious why it works on the internet age kids.

Just accept you've been misusing the term wrong because of memes, faggot.

If you're going to use said arbitrary labels for generations, as if someone born in the 80s has more in common with someone born after 9/11 than someone born in the late 70s, you might as well stick with the official "yid interpretation".

There was a time when generations were decades apart. I guess when 2000s rolled around it changed for various reasons. I wonder (((why)))? Gen Y was a mistake and the biggest thing gen X did wrong was not bully the new generation hard enough.

Wow. You brought the world slacker culture, prolonged adolescence, and not giving a shit about anything. Great job. Go ahead and bitch about how it was those danged 90's kids that ruined everything though. Like they didn't even SEE the unaltered Star Wars trilogy in theatres! Like wow!

He actually listed it as a his favorite Fallout game.
I don't think he even owns a modern console nowadays.

I'm just calling it as I see it. Gen X got cucked and Gen Y became cock guzzling fruits. It makes sense in a timeline sort of way.

Gen X cucked themselves by being lazy and not wanting to grow up. They're almost as bad as the Boomers.

Those are some nice thighs.

Nah X got cucked which left Y to their own devices. Now that things like competition and survival of the fittest no longer applied Y was left as a perpetual single child who didn't have to worry about bullying or being told no. Hell, Boomers at least have the excuse that there was no internet so you can't expose the jew nearly as well as you can now. Gen Y had the internet at the tips of their fingers yet they will defend the jew harder than any other generation in existence. In short, fuck off underage faggots.

That pic isn't retro though. It is hipster shit.
Actual retro would be Sonic Mania for example.
Still, fucking idiots everywhere. Everything blocky or pixely is now retro.

>it's another episode of user misuses a word and then launches into an autistic and long-winded rant that accomplishes nothing

Millenials are more right wing, authoritharian and anti jew than any other generation.
Precisely because they want to be left to their own devices.

That would be the generation after millennials. They saw the faggtory going on and swung the competently opposite way. The average millennial would be around 20-30. You are talking about the 10-20 age range.

He didn't play the game enough to know that you can talk to NPCs but that didn't stop you from sucking his dick.

Oh yeah, mixed Gen Y with Z

When the yids starting messing with what constitutes as a generation then the lines got real fucking hard to see. My biggest question is why did they try to lump in gen X and Y together? Is gen X the eternally cucked generation?

New Vegas just turned a garbage game into a medicore one.

i mean it's a shit thread from the start, but boy did it get dumber.

You are the reason music threads are garbage now.

What a pleb.

The SNES was a hell of a console.

I’ve always played a wide variety of games. SNES never left my television well into the Wii.

I have noticed there is a bizarre culture surrounding old video games now, particularly the “collectors” segment. I don’t see the purpose in owning hundreds of shitty unfun NES games bought at a 10x markup that you will never play that you will probably just sell whenever life gets real (family member illness/old age, lost job, natural disaster, etc.).

People like to jerk off the old days but I am of the opinion of that is due to "pre-filtering". Your 50 PS2 games are great but the fact is there are like 1500 games on the console and the average game quality was closer to Crazy Frog Racer than Silent Hill 2. Same applies to today. You have your Bayonetta, and you have your Morphx, and you have a lot of shit inbetween.

Having to rely on expansion processors to pull tricks the Genesis could do without them sure is a hell of a thing.

Well, he's right about that. The prequels had minor issues that were blown out of all proportion by middle aged faggots who were mad that they weren't children anymore. And now we get Disney Star Wars.

They had an argument. Razorfist just take side then make a poorly constructed and poorly researched non-argument.

That sounds amazing

It really doesn't, a heroic in a story not going through the heroes journey makes for a bland, flat character and story.

Selling for a higher price for profit?

It's called The Force Awakens

Cave Story. It was (and still is) just that good.

Well, those indies wouldn't have the passion to sell their own home and taking 4 years to make one game. When indies tout the word "retro", I would like to ask them what era or what console it's trying to emulate. 9 times out of 10, i don't think they can name one and likely, they are going off memory of what retro looks like to them instead of looking at how they actually look.

At the times those games were made, they worked the best they can and within the limitations of the hardware, and pushing their respective genres forward. Not like today, where limitations are nonexistent and the barrier at times is on financial cost than on hardware based. People look to indie for innovation but I'd be hard pressed to say that. A ton work off gimmicks and what's popular at the time, similar to AAA games. Retro is an esthetic, rather than purposeful art direction. Also, with early access and patreon, it has become pay for passion instead of for the love of the game.

Not saying that you can't make great games since the barrier for anyone to make one is smaller. Just that a lot of the incentive that drives indie gaming follows into being pretentious or making a quick buck.

Well, Isn't that how the speculator market fell through for comics, because buying tons of #1 issues with different variant covers and hoping they'd be worth something more in the future, instead of the content and character the comic is based on? It's happened many times in other markets like toys and games. People are doomed to repeat their mistakes, no matter how much knowledge is available, stupidity is the one thing that can't be cured.

I think pixel art stopped being retro and became it's own art style a while ago. I'm fine with that. I don't understand this obsession with perfectly duplicating the look of one console or another. Just make it look good.

It's not just that, you can go pretty much anywhere in New Vegas from the get go, but you have to be stealthy about it instead of running around guns blazing.

That pic looks like a fun time.

Reminder that South Americans are becoming increasingly based and right wing>>13757996

To be fair, I believe that things change much faster these days, with how much faster and easier it is to communicate. And of course things like much quicker advances in all sorts of sciences (as long as they aren't politically incorrect of course). When everything changes faster it makes sense that each generation would be much more different from the last compared to in the past.

Thanks for the recommendation user, I think I might actually like or even love this game from the way you've described it. I think you've done it justice, I'll give it a whirl asap.

Yeah comics, and CCGs too! I never got into that stuff thankfully, seems like crack 4 kids.
And about the limitations of old hardwares: it was cool because they each had their own distinct personality. For example SNES tended to have very colorful games with orchestral music, whereas Amiga OCS/ECS and Genesis were more dark & gritty-looking and had their own distinct audio. Don't know if this is the best example, but you can kinda see it here. The Amiga original is at top, the rest are ports:
hol.abime.net/2754/conversionshot
Well here's a more comprehensive example with lots of hardware platforms:
hol.abime.net/872/conversionshot
And it's even more obvious when you compare original games from one platform to originals of another. This is part of what makes something "retro".

Good luck user. You'll have an incredibly hard time at first, just learning what you can and can't do and adapting to the controls, but if you stick with it, things will start clicking into place and you'll slowly claw your way to competency. A few tips:
-You can only parry (ctrl+down) humans, animals need to be dodged.
-You can swing your weapon MUCH faster when you time your swings, rather than mashing.
-Should you go for 1h or 2h weapons, training them not only massively increases your damage, but breaking a threshold into trained/advanced/master changes your moveset and lets you swing faster
-The damage formula for melee is dmg=weapon+str-protection/10 for normal hits, and dmg=weapon+str-protection for crits, both with a floor of 5. So if you're swinging some rusty shit sword and feel like you're doing chip damage, that's why. Your crit chance is the percent displayed next to your weapon, and is increased by training said weapon type.

Jesus my sides.
Also pic related, Razorfist got cucked by a weeb.

This leather clad motherfucker is the only reviewer' that does not make me want to shoot myself

Best reviewer coming through.

I certainly don't agree with everything he says, sometimes I think he is just too bitter on a few things like MGR and other Japanese games, but I can still respect his points in a lot of other things.

I wish my girlfriend was a Hex Maniac

nope,go shill somewhere else

Yes you will.

If a review of a game is under 15-20 minutes, especially in the case of a big role-playing game with tons of things to talk about, it's usually just a base overview with loosely argumented opinions and not really worth anyone's time. Get this crap outta here.

kek

A lot of (1) done here.

While he often has questionable taste, I do appreciate that he thinks for himself instead of just parroting what other people tell him. That being said, he does say some really things sometimes.

second reply meant for

It is easy when your play time is shorter than your review.
Also,
His nuDoom review. Reviews are based on his views of the fanbase than the game.

Bugged instruction mechanics

It's like art. vid related. I'm sure those that made the articles have a share on the pie themselves.

Your sentence structure is shit. Is he asking for a sandbox feature as in
or

If the former, then he's wrong since it's called a sandbox element. Regardless, on one of his few examples, the main storyline won't advance until the player triggers an event where RPG elements kick in. It's stupid though as you've mentioned.

If it's the latter, what he's saying is true.

Reminder that sjws and communists tend to be the very same rich evil people they're against because they're all kikes.

He's essentially asking to never have to lose a fight. We wants to walk the whole map and kill everything without needing to level up.

I think it was Megaman 9 who made the whole pixel graphics thing popular. Before that I only remember flash games having that stuff.

Thanks again Inajew you failure of a yid.

Game looks genuinely good.

Cave Story in 2004 played no small part in kicking off the trend for indie shitters. Otherwise it's mostly dumbass executives running out of ideas and firing all their creative talent, somewhere towards the end of the last decade.

He's a contrarian by nature and for attention to get more views.

It's the horse shoe theory
Both have the same spectrum of kikes but the left is covered with hypocrisy/virtue signallers (faggotberg). At least the right is being honest about it. I'd rather choose the honest one though if I have a choice.

Oh, that's a shit opinion then. To put it into real world comparison, you can't rob a bank until you have a right amount of plan, weapons, manpower, and superpowers.

Aren't these the same Buzzfeed pretentious faggots who would support modern art anyway?

The problem I have with MM9 and MM10 is the whole gameplay downgrade, people praising it as being "back to its roots no ez mode" forget how the new games were supposed to build up the challenge accounting for the new moves.