Turok 2

Played this at release (x-mas present back in the day!) and thought it was awesome. Single digit framerates weren't such an issue when you were a kid.

Anyway, I see this has a recent PC release. Is it any good or is it like the PC port 15 years ago (i.e. total dogshit).

Recommended difficulty if I do get it? I like playing difficult shooters without savescumming (Original doom episodes 1 - 3 on nightmare, for example) but don't like games that just damage sponge enemies or have shitty design / bad difficulty spikes (Doom episode 4 map 1 is impossible to beat on nightmare without using a glitch).

if anything it's shown off that turok 2 really wasn't very good. turok 3 is the only good game in the series and only because its nothing like the others.

I suspected I might have nostalgia goggles. Never played the 3rd one, how is it different?

I've had difficulty getting the game to run at times. The first time I grabbed it, which was shortly after the re-release, it ran buttery smooth. Then an update came out like a week or so later, new executable and all that, and it started running like dog shit. So I had to dig into the forums to find out what I had to do to get the new update running well and that was a hassle on its own.

The game itself is fine. I don't know if I prefer it over the first Turok at this point. I did when I first played it, but the first game has got something going for it. The music in particular is a lot better I think, and I think it's got better atmosphere than the second game too. I also didn't like how absolutely massive the levels in the second game are. It wouldn't have been so bad if textures and buildings weren't repeated as often as they were. There's one level where this was egregious and never finished it.

Last year was the first time I had ever really played these games. I had Turok Evolution for the PS2 when I was a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed it even though I'd probably rip my goddamn hair out now if I ever went back to it. I dunno, I wouldn't mind playing it again.

That user is retarded or fucking with you. Anyway, it's better than the old ones but they have some dumb modern effects enabled in these new versions, they can be turned off though. Sort of like crappy Doom ports with shitty bloom all over the place and the like.

I think the reason single-digit framerates weren't disorienting is because there was far less information to process.

I didn't get very far into it, but I did have a lot of fun until the Mantids level. Turok 2 has huge levels, smarter AI than I expected, and great weapons.
The only downside is that there's a shitload of backtracking and wandering, hence Nightdive added optional objective markers to streamline the levels.

It's a great version.

Highest difficulty + fog is fucking insane.

Not as hard as it's in Turok 1 remastered. That was just fucking impossible. All the "expert playthroughs" on youtube are with fog. Without fog the enemy shooters shoot at you at the speed of light + extreme sniper precision + respawning like crazy.

You can't ironman this and you can only speedrun the game. It will not be fun.

Turok 2's a good game if what you want is a game without damage sponge enemies, opting for both you and the enemies being glass cannons. If anything, most enemies in Turok can be killed in about one to three hits from almost any weapon. How the game's balanced is that while you have a shitload of guns which fire generally differently, they all have a limited amount of ammo, encouraging you to actually shoot because while you can just kill shit with your melee weapon, the guns are too fun and useful not to use. The only useless things in your inventory are probably the Talon and Flaregun, but only because the Warblade is a direct upgrade while the Flaregun is meant for lighting dark areas rather than combat.

I never finished the game, but the Oblivion enemies were pretty tough, while there were some enemies who fired homing projectiles at you which you really couldn't avoid, forcing you to either gear up or bruteforce your way past them. Otherwise it's an overall fun game.

Turok 2 still stands as a good game. Not because it's a masterpiece but because gaming has actually stagnated, potentially even gone fucking backwards, in the last twenty years.
The map design in Turok is miles away better than anything we see in modern shooters. The weapons are more fun and creative and the enemies are fun to kill.
It's worth playing if only to see how badly we suffer in CURRENT YEAR + 2.

Explain? It seems reasonably challenging, its fun jumping around and shooting things, exploring, using guns etc.

I loved that game, but if you have the fog on you can miss little shit like switches or even simply getting turned around because so much shit looks the same in that game, and it can be frustrating. The re-release makes it much more bearable in that regard.

Also I don't know if the patch fixed this, but its performance is shitty due to how it doesn't play nice with 4-core cpus. You can fix it by disabling core 0 and 2 I think for the game process, I might be wrong.

Also Mantid is pretty far, it's the third last level if I remember.

It’s second to last. You go to primagen’s lightship next.

I agree with this. That era of shooters didn’t know the “right” way to do anything, so you saw a lot of originality in design and aesthetic. This also meant they’d get something wrong too but really modern gamers are fucking babies who want games to play themselves

Guys, how does Turok 2 manage to have such awesome death animations?

A Raptoid can jump at you and its body will smoothly transition into falling over itself and dying. It's so smooth and such a seemless transition, I wonder what technology they used to do that.

Effort? Giving a fuck?

I thoroughly enjoyed Turok 1, despite some bullshit like the catacombs. As for Turok 2, the level design honestly is kind of obtuse enough that it hurts the game.

Canned animations are a lost art. So much more impactful. So much more cinematic.

He's fucking with you, it's good the reason it's not really up to par in popularity is purely due to how late the editor was released since it has multiplayer over Turok 1. The editor is out now for both Steam and GOG. It also massively improves on fixing up the levels, you see all these Anons complaining about the levels being obtuse? These fuckers have seen absolutely nothing, try playing the original N64 version there is a reason it's called the fog machine.

BECOME A TRUE SHITPOSTER!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
>>>/polo/

I'm dissappointed nobody tries the cheat codes out.

I had the N64 version (which I never beat because the levels were bad). The levels are still bad.

because not everyone likes to shell out the additional cash for them :^)