It's been 5 years since Terraria was released and there's STILL not a competent alternative/competitor?

It's been 5 years since Terraria was released and there's STILL not a competent alternative/competitor?

You could potentially argue "Starbound," but chucklefuck studios can't into competent games and if you think otherwise somebody needs to take your opinion card away.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Supernorn
forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211&userid=100011
youtube.com/watch?v=8B-sFGfA3lM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes, which is why Terraria 2 better happen soon and it better be good too.

What a fucking trash heap

autists don't need new games, they'll keep playing the same garbage over and over.

user, c'mon. Windforge never even came close to competing with Terraria. The first I heard of it was in a bundle, for God's sake.

You post that as if new content isn't added into terraria every few months. I've actually been thinking of giving it another playthrough since it's been about a year since I last played it.
Terraria 2 never ever
Terraria Otherworld never ever

Kill me

I remember all the Starbound shilling on Holla Forums before the game released.
People said it'd be better than Terraria.
Boy, did they shut up when it released.

Reminder that Starbound's pixel artist is a mod on ResetERA :^)

What the fuck is the point of having a bunch of worlds to explore if they all feel the same and have nothing interesting to do or see? Its the same mistake Spore and NMS made.

It's easy as shit. You can store quest fish and catch more to make future quests effortless.
I will agree however that it's also boring as shit.

Its just a huge pain in the ass.

It's actually way shittier because all those worlds combine have less to do than a single small Terraria world.

The whole point of fishing is to be boring. If you go into fishing looking for high impact sexual violence then you are doing it wrong. Just grab a nice drink, put on some soft loli breathing in the background, and get real comfy while you fish.

l-link?

Is this really a problem when most people just afk in their base?

Lemme guess, he paid ten bux too?

i thought there were like 50 terraria clones, Crea, JunkJack, and i forgot the name of the rest

He actually did, the absolute madman..
twitter.com/Supernorn
forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211&userid=100011

I fucking hate this crimson bullshit

I love Terraria fishing, it's peaceful.
If it really puts a crick in your dick just pop potions.

Starbound had the right idea, making a mobile home so it wouldn't be attached to the world, making it possible to easily travel to others. Too bad it fell into the shitter.
Terraria falls short on this aspect because a new world should've been introduced in hardmode so you could explore new caves, plunder new loot and find new content more naturally like the beginning of the game. Current hardmode is purely farming and grinding enemies in the same areas you've already visited, especially with shit like this that requires low ass drop chance items.

I'd personally go with some jazz, but I guess loli breathing is fine too.

Did they ever add a way to win this "game"?

Personally, I'm a Chillstep guy.

Nope, but the /tg/-Holla Forums server does the complete opposite of that by adding in 4 overhaul mods that quadruples the relative playtime. I think some user said Moon Lord is about a half-way point on there.

Isn't that emphasizing the lack of an ending rather than giving it one?

Yep! There's something like 63 new bosses added.

Why trudge onward if there's nothing at all left to explore, discover, experiment with, learn, or see for the first time?

Literally what is the motivation?

nihilism-kun pls

Well if you've already done and seen everything, then I guess you've beaten the game.

The point, to me, of replaying a game is to demonstrate mastery over it through metrics, for instance, like completion time. Unfortunately, Terraria never ends, so it's not even really a game. I don't want to "find more shit to do once the final boss is beaten". I want the game to end on the final boss, so that I can find more shit to do in the process of beating the final boss. It's the journey that matters in a game, I hate this modern bullshit notion of "post-game content".

Apparently the world is even larger than large because of mods, and Wire mods let you go near Autism Blocks automation on it.

PVP? It's what seems to have gotten the Destiny Jew fanbase suckered in.

Couldn't you just stop playing once you beat the final boss?
Do you want an ending cutscene sucking your dick so you feel accomplished or what?

If you're bored with it move on. Some people enjoy repeating the process however.

Yes, roll the credits too please. And add my character and map completion to the score board.

I genuinely can't tell if you're taking the piss or not.

Yes, but what about Battle Network 3? There was a game that new what post-game content was about. An entire storyline almost as long as the first.

I imagine it was built on the idea of "2D Minecraft except with epic loot" before minecraft made an "ending."

Is that what you want nigga, a minecraft ending?

Speedrunning isn't for everyone.

Never enjoyed the building in Terraria, and if I actually wanted to make unique contraptions I'd play a game with a real physics engine.

How can PvP possibly work in a game with absolutely no PvP balance whatsoever?

I hate life.

Dunno, I never bothered with those, I preferred actual Mega Man games.

A little bit but not really.

Minecraft's endgame was pretty fucking lazy, but yes, it's what finally transformed it into a "game", albeit a pretty weak one.

And I love you.

I honestly wish there was a video game community that banned autistic people on the spot so I could just fucking enjoy things

Most of them do, that's why they're here, numbnuts.

That seems like a perfectly average post, what are you talking about?

ffs user.

sauce?

but an alternative/competitor would need to be better
how would you improve it?

If you are doing it right then fishing in Terraria is easy as pie.
You're right about the RNG though. I've yet to see a sponge or endless water bucket.

You seem like an autistic retard, especially if you sperg out over benign posts like that.

Take your meds and stop posting. Forever.

Review and steal good ideas from the countless imitators.

Anise, I thought we were friends…

You can beat Cthulhu's step-brother to death with a yoyo and Grwn's sunlight spear while you have Star Platinum and a space dragon protect you. I count that as a win in my book.

I'll fite you nigga!
Say that to my face after playing Breath of Fire 3 fishing mini game.

That's actually pretty hot

I was looking forward to Terraria: Otherworld but apparently they scrapped it and started over or something. And Terraria 2 is still probably a good 4-5 years off at least.

How do you think the corruption is really spread, user?

I guess enjoy way too hard biting then tbh

Does that look like something that you would let anywhere near you dick, user?

They need a good tugging is what I'm saying

don't jerk off the monsters user

Y-you too

I'm really looking forward to spider furniture.

save your jerking off for players aka me tbh

oh yeah that'd really tide me over till the next superficial update

We're getting corrupt furniture too.

it's funny that the first bio is only getting the sets now tbh

The Angler is 100% RNG cancer and whenever I see him having a comfy beach side resort I want to fucking burn it down. I only make shit shacks for him. Why? You can potentially never get many unique items that are only obtainable by a tiny drop chance after completing a quest for him because the drop chance is removed after a certain amount of attempts FOR NO REASON. I edited in the infinite bucket and sponge after 2 weeks of grinding for it with a 3rd party program. Call me a cheater. I don't give a fuck.

You know what I find Terraria to be missing?
An expansive farming and cooking system. It's my sole favorite thing about Starbound, the ability to search for seeds across various planets, grow them on your farms and cook dozens of foods with various boosts. Sure, Terraria has herbs which are okay too, and I love potionmaking, but with so many different minibiomes the game could have thrice the amount of farmable plants. It could also possibly give them various other growing mechanics.

I love how I can try and find 16 MILLION different types of dirt in Starbound

Dirt#FF2585 is much better than Dirt#FF2584

That may actually be a bug and yes it's bullshit. I hope they fix it.
Just lock him in with the Guide and let nature take it's course.

You could also hatefuck the angler. He's the only shota in the game.

do not hatefuck the shota

I think they got rid of that. Now all dirt types stack together. There are still six billion natural blocks that are fugly and useless.

So you would consider Terraria a "real game" if it rolled some credits every time you beat moonman and then shat you back to spawn as if nothing happened.

Focus on building, add survival and automation elements, make space travel possible, add more content tiers on other planets, unlock the core of the starting planet, add invasions that destroy blocks and require high tier defensive setups, etc.

What are those? I burned out of Terraria, but I want to play again, this might be exactly what I was looking for To think I wanted to play Starbound or Minecraft as replacement, so silly

Terraria keeps getting updated. The last thing teased by redigit was that the framework is finally in place with the previous patch for some super mega huge content dump that he's been planning for ages.
It sounds like marketing bullshit to me, but maybe 1.4 will be a massive as 1.1 was.

I'd like for them to address the NPC problem, though. At minimum, all NPCs should have some practical use that makes them more than just a fucker taking up a room, but so far it's really only the original pre-1.1 NPCs that matter worth a damn beyond just hammering out your completion.
I'd also like to see more early game content added, as well as more earlier hardmode content added. The Copper-Silver-Gold stage could be extended quite a bit, and the entire Cobalt/Mithril/Adamantite stage is skippable.
Rather than just mindlessly smashing altars with a hammer to make those ores appear, each ore type should have a summonable boss that populates the world with ore upon death.

Also more fishing. Fishing is super rewarding in this game. One of the few times I've given a fuck about fishing minigames.

Tremor, Spirit, Thorium, and Calamity. They're basically major additions that adding everything from items to weapons to NPCs to bosses.

I've played Calamity most of the way through, and some of its content gets properly absurd.
Are all four of those overhauls compatible with each other, though?

I remember copying that house.

Almost all big mods works together, might be some problems with multiplayer with specific mods but everything else is fine.

Yup. The Terraria modding community actually builds around these mods, similar to how Minecraft modders usually work around things like Tinker's Constructs and Thaumcraft.

I can install them all at once in the latest version? Do you happen to have the latest GOG version?

Hot damn, that's some good news. Thanks Satan and friend. Looks like I have another Terraria run to prepare for.

All you have to do is installed TmodLoader, and then pick from the list of mods in the mod search.

Or, if you're looking to join the server, its here at: 24.180.177.98

Just installed TmodLoader, and the game will actually sync all the servers mods with your client. no muss, no fuss.

OH BOY SURE IS FUN CALLING THIS BOSS, DYING BECAUSE I DIDN'T REALIZE IT'D POP OUT FROM THE SKY AND INSTAGIB ME, THEN HAVE IT NOT DESPAWN WHILE I RESPAWN INTO INSTANT DEATH UNTIL I UNINSTALL.

Fucking hell Terraria's a brand new game with the mods and mod-bosses too? Nothing better

Actually, let me post the server details for you guys:

Between all of these mods there are:

BOSS PROGRESSION
Anything one the same row is of roughly equivelent strength.
Pre-Hardmode
Hardmode
Post-Moon Lord
Note that this portion of the progression is guess work based on boss HP

I had a life, but now I have Terraria again.

The client does seem to crash halfway through syncing mods the first time, but if you just start it up again and log back in, it'll continue and sync just fine, and every time after that.
Here's some screenshots of the server. Also our world is Larger than Large, thanks to mods.

You're extremely out of date. Now Starbound requires you go to boss dungeons so you have no ability to build anything to help you.

Oh, and one more thing… We've expanded Wire Utilities. Auto-crafters, damage dealers. Go full Minecraft autism on this thing.

Imagine if Dwarf Fortress was segmented into some kind of grindy shit game where to get to the next underground biome/environment you had to build a spaceship to get there. It would be boring as shit.
I wish more devs and publishers would stop smelling their own farts long enough to think about whether their ideas actually make their game more fun. Even the game design instructors at my college taught the class to "murder your darlings," which is just a catchy way of saying "most of your ideas will be shit, get used to it." Shame nobody wants to follow that advice.

Oh hey it's me.

How is the server doing? I'm the /tg/-user who helped organize it, and my potato can barely handle games as it is, so I never logged on. Any good stories? What about the Bee Knight?

Does anyone remember tConfig? I assume that was largely irrelevant with the mod loader basically having the lion's share of the community behind it

yeah, pretty much. Everyone and their grandmother who played Terraria went over to Modloader once the whole Server Sync and Mod Database made it too damn easy to find and download mods. And once the big four went over, everybody did. It's like Twitch's Minecraft launcher, without the general slimy feel you get for using it.

Bee Knight never made it and vanished days ago, server is fine though it can have a few lag fits depending on how many people are playing.

I'm trying to install this shit, and nothing. Fuck it.

It's kinda hilarious how many features are added to Starbound only to later be removed, remade from scratch or replaced.
Crafting mining tools and generic armor? Gone, tools are buy only, generic armor doesn't exist.
Fuelling your ship with any burnable thing like wood or coal, allowing you to fly around right away? Gone, now you can only fuel it with the pink goop mined on the most boring moons ever.
Crafting boss-summoning items and summoning bosses? Gone, replaced by no-build platforming dungeons.
Exploring asteroid fields on foot, having to stand by a heat source every few minutes to avoid freezing? Gone, replaced with mech-mining.

It's really like the starbound staff added things into the game while having 0 idea about the direction the want it to go.

Nofap really works. My dick became a diamond quarterstaff with this.

The problem with crafting mining tools and generic armor was that it didn't make sense from a setting perspective, Starbound is set in a time and world where technology has evolved to the point that personal space travel is commonplace, anti-matter beams can mine material, and people have energy weapons. It doesn't really make sense that a pickaxe you put together yourself is better than the technology of the time, but it was, and just brought "This is just Terraria in space." to the forefront of the player's mind. Fueling your ship with twigs and coal was a problem because while it allowed the player to begin space travel almost immediately, it meant there was little incentive to explore underground. I understand why they made that change, but the way they did it was retarded and it got worse when they moved the goop from underground to moons that you can't explore without a heat source and flight.
Changing bosses from summons to a pre-made instance prevented the problem of making arenas to make bosses easier, and they were more fun to explore, but it yet again removed reasons to explore underground.
The asteroid fields were truly annoying because you had to maintain heat and oxygen, it was more of a chore exploring them and moons by extension. I don't know how mech mining is but I know they made vacuum-exploration better with a space suit, I think.
I'd like to bring up food and hunger, a system that they copied wholesale from Minecraft(Starbound's nearest relative), complete with its problems of being a chore to maintain, a system that only harms the player, and one that can be completely negated by simply allowing oneself to starve to death in a safe area, and continuing what one was doing. I think Terraria did do this system better, by making it a system that isn't necessary for the player to care about, but if he does he benefits from it. Starbound could've done much better with the food system and it's a shame that the most effort they put into it was coming up with alien-like plants and dishes made from those plants.

You are not wrong. I just meant to point out that it's silly they added it in the first place, and then tried to back out.
But also: it STILL makes no sense from the setting perspective. Tools didn't become unavailable - you can still find/buy copper-gold pickaxes, and they are stronger than your unupgraded manipulator. And I'm pretty sure highest-level drill is still better than the best manipulator.
Well fueling it with coal and other mine-able resources was a better "incentive to explore underground" than the current moon bullshit.
Also, let's not kid ourselves - the undergrounds in starbound are terribly boring. It's just boring caverns and repeating identical ruins. But most of all, the monsters are awfully generic and repetitive. All the random generation the game puts so much emphasis on means that all the monster become bland as fuck, with only a handful of unique hardcoded creatures.
We may be talking about different stages of development here, but I loved the asteroid fields from -whatever version of the game was it-.
True, you had to maintain your body heat and you needed the oxygen pack, but the amounts of ore on the asteroids were so immense that it felt really rewarding to explore them.
Now you explore them with a mech which is really clunky to steer, there is no gravity and nearly no threat. The dumbest thing about mech mechanics is that you lose exactly nothing if your die while piloting it, and you can also beam out exactly always.
Also, I'd like to add that the new oxygen/heating/cooling/radiation protection packs are absolute bullshit, an they basically boil down to "if you don't have the backpack, you can't ever go to this planet". If I go to a glacier planet, no amount of fireplaces will ever keep me warm, and that's bullshit. The entire idea of having many different varied biomes should be based on the fact that you need different inconvenient equipment and different survival techniques for each.

well, not exactly, since some part of your money is always destroyed when you die. But then again, money is nearly worthless in this game.
What only adds to the annoyance is that foods spoil AND don't stack. At least in minecraft you can carry a single stack of steaks or baked potatoes forever. Here you need to refuel every 20 minutes. Fuck exploration, I guess.

I was gifted this game by a friend and it took me a long time to wrap my head around this, just because I couldn't believe they'd make such an awful design decision. Especially considering the controls are as loose as shit in a ripoff of such a tight game as Terraria.

encase no one rejoins the server due to having everything complete thanks to rush fags, looking at you kubberz

I thought this sort of no-build instancing would have been helpful in Terraria, back in the day, since bosses are just "build arena and cheese" mostly

the issue with bosses and enemies is that they're all you touch you get hurt and that's how they do the majority of their damage, merely removing that aspect and giving them alot more attacks would fix this issue and it would allow for classes which aren't just >ranger but melee damage

What do you think a slime would feel like?
Imagine like warm, thick honey

Melee deals with yoyo's doesn't it? Last I checked those were OP as fuck. Also Summoner is literally dodge to win. If you know how to pad buffs and spam Ichor you could kill most bosses pretty easy.

That reminds me.
Terraria is fucking boring once you get everything you want. Not to mention, it's a fucking grind to craft anything worth while.

yoyo is a band aid to the underlying problem

Well there's the melee weapons that shoot shit. There's also equipping items that increase invincibility time after getting hit and tanking the damage. Late late game melee weapon are insanely powerful though as well.

That's not the point. Creating projectiles is hardly "melee". Like said, the game is balanced towards doing shit at a distance or spamming things that is fundamentally not "melee"

you'd think at least one modder would realize this and actually fix the fucking game instead of just adding a bunch of shit

are you fucking kidding me? Wind forge more like my creators are never gonna touch me again forge

Well it depends. Only a specific few weapons deal projectile damage and some of the later weapons just extend your range in unusual ways. You should look up a full list for the weapons they use. A lot of it isn't just using a sword. And a lot of it is as well but you also have to consider DPS damage. Sword users often deal solid damage and most of their mid to late armor is centered around being able to tolerate taking some hits.

what's the point, then?

The problem is that you need to either keep hardmode, especially late hardmode, enemies at a distance to prevent you from being destroyed. Hence projectile melee. If you try to correct it by giving melee armor greater defense in order survive the damage then everyone will just wear melee armor and ignore the other classes of armor regardless of what kind of weapon they use. If you make melee weapons do much more damage then then likewise everyone will only use melee weapons.
The best solution is probably just to give melee weapons much greater range but still keep them rooted to the player, in other words what yoyos do (and to a lesser extent flails and boomerangs).
Of course that leaves sword or spear users out in the cold so you would have to give late game swords and spears much greater effective range, probably up to about 1/4 of the screen for swords and 1/2 the screen for spears.

you could give meele weapons bonuses like "dealing damage makes you invulnerable to damage for 1 second"

You could but then you might end up in a situation like with spectre armor when it was first released.

remove "you touch you get hurt" and every build is viable

Well, you couldn't exactly "remove" it, since it's the core offense of some bosses, like the eater of worlds.
But year, for most monsters and bosses it would be enough to make them either have an explicit "attacking" state/move during which they do damage, and/or giving them damage-dealing hitboxes that don't encompass the entire creature.

I would say the problem is fundamentally one of control. Terraria simply does not have deep enough fine movement techniques or enemy behavior designed to simultaneously facilitate attacking and dodging (especially in terms of bosses) to warrant true melee-oriented. A possible solution to this is making dedicated melee armor add additional movement tricks, like a backflip or something.

Terraria has frame cancels if you land, right?

Actually come to think of it, you could put in item/ability/accessory slots that enable all that. Or even using your magic meter for frame cancels would be interesting too, as a sort of dex/int hybrid build.

I know you'd have to design around it, but Terraria's combat is kinda broken as it is

Yeah but I was referring hopefully to actually good close-quarters movement techniques, instead of the awful fucking trash in Igarashi's Metroidvanias.

Or expand this shield mechanic.

I attempt to make my way through Expert on Hardcore characters all the time and the few times I actually use melee weapons are very early in the game with a Cactus Sword to protect from bats and occasionally a nice Swordfish to make my way inside crimson cores where there are often some heart crystals lying around. Falcon Blade is handy for a bit too, mostly for defensive purposes. Everything else is a projectile launcher of some sort (Light Discs are pretty nice for instance); melee is just too dangerous to engage at close range.

If you count out the 10 or so outright beam swords (and a few others like the North Pole) you'll find that most of the other projectile melee weapons really just have projectiles as bonus damage rather than primary damage. Some of the projectiles don't even pierce or are extremely short range. Then there's acouple (the Beekeeper and Horseman's Blade) only produce projectiles when the blade itself comes into contact with an enemy. So really the projectile melee problem isn't really as bad as it first seems.
Also consider that ranged has infinite ammo capabilities with the shot pouch and quiver and intrinsically from some weapons like the Toxicarp and Piranha gun and paintball gun.
The thing about Terraria is that weapons classes are all ultimately "balanced" because they are all sort of broken in their on ways.
Except for summoning. There really needs to be some class of directly controllable summoning weapons since otherwise we're forced to multiclass in something else.

Also I meant to say that even several of the earlier swords, including the earlier beam swords, have a cool down and don't fire a projectile every swing.

Are they even working on that? I thought they were working on that corruption spinoff or whatever that also seems like vaporware now.

Yeah, but to me that's kind of the point, it's a building game. You wouldn't make, I don't know, a Mario game that turns into an on-rails shooter every time you fight Bowser.

Terraria just isn't designed for close range melee combat, you can't "fix" that without overhauling all of Terraria and pissing off 8 million autists.

Red has had plans for Terraria 2 for a long time, but last we heard about it he had quit Terraria. He has since returned to work on Terraria so who knows if he has long term plans to expand it now.

That's why I think a game like Terraria should focus on invasions, something where you build a fortress and defend it. Make enemies break blocks. Add blocks that are expensive but have more defensive value. Make cheaper blocks flammable. Add survival elements so you must make your house warm or hold in/produce oxygen or something. Add enemies that may randomly come along and steal from your chests. Add simpler enemies that'll try to get into your base but can be repelled with traps. Make blocks hard to craft so you must build an automated factory to make them in mass.

Basically make the player care about improving their base of operations instead of making a couple commiecubes and slapping chests on a platform.

I wouldn't mind if bosses and invasions inflicted creative shock.

Somebody post the 3 million stretch-goal webm. That's all that needs to be said.
Good idea, bad execution. It's low effort pixel grafixx, bare-bones, unbalanced, class based, multiplayer only trash. The combat is better than Terraria's, but that isn't saying much.

fucking kek. that's pretty good.

That's a good idea user, sounds like fun.

I guess, it still seems to take away from the main element of the actual game to me though.

You got me there, I haven't played any Mario games in a while.

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago. The GOG version of Tmodloader is outdated, so you need to hex edit the Terraria.exe included in the steam version of Tmodloader, search for "00 0A 0F 00 17", and change the 0x17 to 0x16. This will disable steam initialization and allow you to use it with the GOG version.

Thanks, user.

I think they're having to rebuild Otherworld almost from the ground up since they kicked Engine Software to the curb.

It wouldn't really take away that much. All it would do is commit you to you designs during a siege. And it would actually justify the dirt rod's existence and make the ice rod even more useful. It might even be an excuse for more temporary block creating tools.

Somebody please post the webm, because I haven't seen it

You could play King Arthur's World, the SNES game that King Arthur's Gold ripped off.
It's real-time strategy puzzle game, though, and plays like lemmings with building and combat.

Alright, hold on. I like that idea in principle, but in practice it's just tedious. Having to rebuild shit is a fucking drag.
How about instead, whenever there's an invasion everything you've built is snapshotted into a blueprint, and when the invasion's over, the entire thing is automatically rebuilt by NPCs as long as they have the materials in a chest anywhere within the blueprint area.
Make certain NPCs reduce the required materials, too, and it'd be even better.

I'd love to have bosses try to smash their way through my base, as long as I don't have to sit there autistically clicking the whole thing back together block by block.

That all sounds good, as long as there are no enemies that go through walls. That's the worst part about trying to build a base in Terraria, the fucking wraiths can just kill all your NPCs no matter what.

There's a compromise. Only let enemies actuate some blocks into their inactive state. Or only let enemies break temporary blocks and furniture. Or both.

Have you played Factorio? When enemies destroy your things, it leaves behind a ghost that can be automatically replaced by robots.

Sounds pointless. I think is a better option to have a switch if you want enemies to destroy your blocks or not, or that the option is given whenever you create a new world, that way you don't have to rebuild in worlds where you have your autistic buildings, but in worlds where you have your efficent commie blocks you do not. The only problem with that is that it would separate the "build" and "Play" aspects too radically.

Another options would be giving blocks resistance by attaching specific materials to them or when creating said block, that way you can keep the aesthetics of your building but you can also have an sturdy building, that would lessen the destruction of your base, and would also justify automated defense and THICK FUCKING WALLS.

You know what why not just make it exactly like Terraria, that way we don't have to deal with new things.

I have, but I've only played it with enemies off because I'm a turbo-autist who's fascinated by automation.

The real point is that building in terraria is fucking boring. If you could blueprint-build, or if there were proper paint tools like outline and area-fill and shit, maybe it could go faster. I used to build massive beautiful castles, but nowadays I even find minimalist commie blocks too tedious to want to bother building.

Fuck it, just make NPCs build their own houses around a chest with resources and a player-planted flag. As long as I don't have to care about the destruction, the monsters can blow it all to hell.

Why did you give that party bitch a nice room?

Blue-prints sounds nice if only so you can move buildings easily, that would be nice. The NPC's building simple commie blocks if needed sounds nice, and leaving a chest with items on the ground and bind them to it sounds like a good option, considering how enemies wouldn't be able to destroy the blocks below.
Also, I never gave a shit about NPC's dying since they just come back automatically.

That's the whores room.

Don't you mean the horse's room?

Just like real life I suppose

It's a christian whore house. I wanted to something like the Den of Mortal Delights, with hypocrisy and all

What music would you recommend for boss fights? I made a custom wavebank and want something more punchy for the boss fights. Sage for offtopic.

So I have the Tmodloader and all my maps and characters are gone now, where I'm supposed to place the files?

There should be a mod save folder in your normal save file location, just move the vanilla saves to the mod file.

I still hate that fucking bitch because of this, every time I see her I think

Modloader has separate world and player folders, your old stuff exists in the main Terraria folder still.

Alright faggots, all preparations complete, this better be good.

It would have been ok if they added the pony and not a humanized version, though? Like half the devs back then were furries and probably bronies.

Terraria and that gay brony shit were at the height of popularity at about the same time.

No?

For what reason? user already hates her and she's humanized. Never mind that to anyone who's not familiar with the brony shit would be quite puzzled as to why there's a talking horse fascinated with partying.

I have the exe in a hex editor but I can't find that string. Any tips?

Nevermind. Had to change the search criteria.

user, I'm a certified idiot and I did it, I'm sure as hell you can. Just use the search function and change the 17 to 16. Note that I've already did that on the screenshot.

Maybe because a lot of people don't like MMO grinds in their single player games and having a ton of bosses that basically all boil down to 'Jump circles around it'

What did you do after that? I can't get tmod to install. I have the gog version of terraria and the steam version of tmod.

Terraria can be played online, and what grinding does it have? There aren't any levels or skills you can improve.
That also answer doesn't make sense to OP's question when you take into account Terraria is one of the best selling and most played games on Steam, what OP was asking is why are there no other good games like Terraria.

user…

You don't need to install shit, user, just copy paste all the files in the Terraria folder, and replace the ones you need to. MAKE SURE you backup your folder first just in case, since the loader replaces the .exe

Fuck it, just use your imagination.

How many hours did it take you to make that?

A year. Does the mods add new furniture? Because I need more.

I remember seeing that tower a while ago in an old Terraria thread when it originally looked like Aku

A few hundred pieces of new furniture.

Pic related

Thanks fir the chuckle.

Absolute non argument.
Please, go somewhere else if you want to blogpost.

Tell me, where did you get the idea for the house at the top? Looks nice

He didn't post an argument, he posted a fact.

Chucklefuck go away

I remember you. Very impressive stuff, but what's going on in the east there?

Rate my base.

I don't get why this has become a somewhat of a meme in the Terraria community.
It's not that bizarre and people have done similar things before.

Pretty sure sure I copied the idea or ripped it from a post here.

What do you mean? The houses and the lights? It's an autistic story.
There used to be a village there and the priest sacrified a bunch of people bellow the church, which woke up an ancestral being that lurks in complete darkness in the center of earth, and thanks to that being the tower emergedThere's a lava cloud above it too

Really? Where? What's the most bizarre thing you've seen? I think it's pretty autistic to model a fucking shota cumming and doing it perfectly at that.

That is an autistic story, I fucking love it.

gay/gay

RIP server.

I think the game is trying to tell me something.

bloodloss.png

Actually I thought it looked more like a swastika, but now that you mention it.

are they getting bigger?

I used a gun dropped during the martian invasion that fucks with the stats of mobs, sometimes it makes them bigger, and bigger if the same stat change happens again, or smaller and then smaller etc.

Because it's fun.

Do you have a more in-depth guide? Like how to activate those bosses.

The mods all have their own wikis.
Look up Tremor, Spirit and Calamity.

>so many new bosses to get gibbed by like a fish in a blender dominate
Playing on Expert mode, and so far have managed to clear the first three vanilla bosses and some giant beetle that shits heat-seeking death glitter. Every time I've beaten a boss and wandered around, I've found new shit "activated" all over the place. New enemies, new blocks, weird ruins and mini-dungeons all over.

This is the good shit right here. You motherfuckers know what's good.

It's become a meme in the Terraria community?
I guess I have something to be proud about then.Or "proud" anyway.

Would get vored by / 10

Do yourself a favor and install Project_Logic as well. Auto-crafter and damage farming tools so you can go full-(((MinecraftTechnic))) on this Shit and automate boss, monster, and item farming.

But can I make a functioning elevator yet?

Actually I've started renovating it a bit by trying to fill out the head properly and removing/changing the outer envelope. I always thought it was sort of lazy but I couldn't think of anything better at the time. I'm just not sure where to go with it.

There's Teleporters unchained, which gives you Wireless Teleporters.
There's also the Wood Staircase glitch exploit, where a bunch of right-facing stairs stacked on top of each other can launch you up if you get in the right position on the first step.

I just want to make a fucking elevator where you hit a button and stand on a platform! Can nobody make it for this game?

It should be able to be implemented as a mount. I'm with you I'm not sure why it hasn't been implemented yet. Officially even.

They could've easily done something similar to the way the minecart works. Only instead of horizontal/diagonal tracks, it's a purely vertical elevator rope.

Yeah that's what I meant since minecarts are just special mounts.

I've got 498 hours of vanilla Terraria under my belt. What is the absolute best, most polished mod to start with?

Thorium, without question.

Is there anything else I need besides tmodloader?

Nope. TmodLoader, Thorium, and for extra licks, Large World Enabler if you want an even bigger world to explore than Large.

I almost don't want to open this can of worms, since I'm afraid I'll never be able to go back to vanilla again after experiencing mods, but fuck it, doing it up.

post screencaps of your adventures. A good story is worth sharing.

Is TShock still used or has something better finally come by to replace that buggy piece of shit?

HERO'S Mod, but unfortunately, just like its namesake, while it is overcontrolling and autistic(exactly what you want in a server control mod) it also tends to blow up if you don't do exactly what it wants (Server crashes if you don't use the mod's Log Off button)

So anyone can crash the server or is that only for the admin?

Nah it just makes it so you get disconnected upon joining if you didn't log out of it before leaving.

Well, the Server I posted earlier used to have it, but it kept on crashing until we removed it.

The Group GUI stuff does look interesting but using slash commands never really bothered me if thats all it really replaces.

Nah, most mod settings and vanilla settings get a gui for it as well.

I guess I'll look into it more later today. Thanks for the info.

All he wants is to sell fine clothes and make his customers happy.
Why do people do this?

Because they're heartless dipshits.
I alwyas give mine a clothier workshop, complete with loom, crafting bench and 7 or 8 mannequins to display several vanity suits.
He's happy now.

tModLoader is pretty fantastic, I had no idea Terraria mods got so advanced. I think my autism is flaring up.

I was just looking at Super Terraria World and it basically a full conversion mod. It's something else.

This is going to be super comfy.

Goddamn it, I better read the damn wikis

I'm so excited

You know what would be even better? Don't make the fucking item in the first place.

I was curious.

What are all the mods you guys have on the server?>>13758753

See

All bosses in the mod need to be summoned with special items?

Its fun to see how far along this game has come, I remember when the beta first leaked and Holla Forums was full of drama because of the FFV sprites used. Also the comparisons to Minecraft.

wew lads

I know I have those installed. I joined the server and my mods synced. However, I was reinstalling windows today and I lost some of the features I had. So they must have had some extra mods.

Decided to restart, since apparently everything I knew was a lie, and Large worlds have way shittier resource distribution. So Medium - Expert Thorium Mod it is.

Day 1, spent some time mining stone directly below spawn, grabbed some wood and started building a combloc because I'm creatively bankrupt, ran out of wood, and then night came so I'm sitting here waiting for the darkness to fuck off.

Having a large world is good If you were playing with the other major content mods like Spirit and Calamity I'd imagine. Building anything outside commie blocks and maybe vaults is a pain so I compensate by using nicer looking materials

Also if you're looking for any smaller mods to pop in, I recommend Quality of Life by INFINITE POWER. Not only can you craft some accessories if you can't be assed to explore for them, you can combine certain ones even further into new ones. Like combining Lava Waders and Frostsparks into Elemental boots. Sage for double postan

So, what class and subclass should I go for? I thought about going fir bard since it seems fun as fuck and as subclass summoner, but I just got a corruptor, and although it's nice for zombies, it's a pain for stronger enemies.
Also, commie blocks.

Multiclass into Summoner for both. Heal or Buff your minions.

So the bard is a support class? Well, that sucks. Also, the balance of some equipment is fucked up. Oh well. I guess I'll go throwing weapons for the fuck of it. Also, I'm just starting again to discover all the possible addons the mod brings. So far it isn't that impressive.

Does minions even have health? Maybe the stationary ones, but the ones that follow you don't have health, afaik.

Buffs still affect you and minions. Golden Trumpet is good early on for the health regen and the flute is great for underground.

Bump because I'm having fun.

so what happened to Nterraria anyway?
It seemed like a big deal back in the day but right now its so irrelevant they dont even bother to port to the current version

Gee, I wonder. It is either terribly unbalanced or a grindfest.

well its not like vanilla is terribly balanced either

Is it just me, or did terraria's gamepedia wiki's formatting get totally fucked sometime today? Have tested it with multiple browsers, and it's fucked. Every other gamepedia wiki I've tested, besides the one for Thorium mod (which is also fucked) are fine. Worked perfectly this morning.

I guess someone vandalized it or something, because now it's down and I'm getting an archived cloudflare page on both the Thorium Mod and regular Terraria page, and those have unfucked formatting.

The unsung hero of this pic is the guy in the top right.

What the fuck is this bug?
All of my NPCs are standing in the background parallax layer and move with the parallax rather than the foreground tiles. They can still be interacted with, but they're all interactable at their real positions inside the commie superbloc (and all invisible).
My merchant also appeared in the background during a boss fight randomly on the opposite end of the map.

It's fucking bizarre.

Summoner is both fun and shit at the same time. There's not enough variety if summons, and they're either completely useless or get in the way, but commanding an army is so fucking satisfying…

I AM SO FUCKING SORRY

Why did you do this to me

serb keeps dying on me

THIS IS EVERYTHING I'VE EVER WANTED AND MORE!
WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT THIS MAJESTY?

minecraft

blame rushfags tbh

Nigger, we were in pre-hardmode for a whole week.

Yeah. Actually, I need to get into contact with Server-user. FFF just updated, and it's basically the Terraria equivalent of Chisel. Pure, unadulterated Aesthetic, with over 2000+ decorative tiles being added, not to mention the furniture and other decor.

no we weren't it was less then a week and then even less in hardcore mode

We were in expert mode and had a system that forces people to slow down.
And loads of new content that we still haven't fully completed

Even with all these handicaps, and the full intent of being completly slow (we only did one major boss a day) you still complain.

Honestly, i think you're just really shit at this.
We've built an entire fucking commie block system with shared chests just for newfags.
Do we really have to hold your hand that much?
If you went online when anyone else was online, you'd know that most people were asking questions and helping eachother out, this is completly counter to the rushfag who only helps himself.

tl;dr: git gud faggot.

Well, there was one guy that killed Plantera and Golem one night when everyone was offline because we were too slow for him while we were building and crafting shit.

you mean ost or actual music? i would suggest checking out slimepunk or dark techno bands if you want a boss fight track collection, i e youtube.com/watch?v=8B-sFGfA3lM

it's got nothing to do with being good at the game, it's more everyones done this content so many times that it's not interesting anymore.

he also did cult leader as well as moon lord

sounds like you don't know how to deal with them. make them earn their own shit and let the tough ones come to you, don't associate with weak toddlermode normalfags unless you can fully handle them being toddlers

lurk moar

You haven't played any arcade style fishing vidya, haven't you?

So after restarting my world+character once more after having my autism triggered with really disgusting ocean generation, things are looking up. Still getting absolutely mangled by everything, but I'm clawing my way up as a summoner.

I've gotta say, Thorium's content is crazy polished. Also, this 'Adventurer's Lantern' thing is insane.

Should have tried Hardcore Expert anons, it really makes the game last a while.

How do you live with that

HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH THAT

Mediumcore truly is worst core.

man of culture.jpeg

How about they also add your death counter to remind you how much you suck at a game after you went through the effort to 100% complete it.

You could always be a ponyfucker and use the Calamity mod. FIrst boss drops fishing quest items and is pissbaby easy.

Server's down.

Oh boy, another shit Holla Forums server where everyone rushes to the end and leaves while the world is covered in craters, ruined commie blocks, and swastikas.

Don't you mean
I'll stick to single player, thanks.

That's hardcore, what are you talking about?

Gotta show your ectoplasmic epeen as proof.

I ran as a Healer playthrough solo, and it was shit. Bard, however, is fucking amazing to run solo. That accordion is so fucking dumb I love it.

I AS WELL WILL POST A REACTION IMAGE

Healer is shit for a solo playthrough, but Bard is fucking legit.

Checked.

You must've accidentally zoomed in, no idea why it breaks it like that. Check your controls for the zoom out key.

In hardcore when you die you die for good, user, in mediumcore you lose your items. It's called tediumcore for a reason.

I've not seen a lot of bard items, and I'm still pre-hardmode. Any reccomendation? I have the golden trumpet.

I meant that I lose my items completely. Only possible in Hardcore. In Mediumcore you can usually go pick them back up.

Get the Song of Ice and Fire. The damage and double debuffs will get you through a majority of early game. The Bongos and Tuning Fork are nice to have, but I personally never used them early game. ALSO snag all the Music Sheets. They don't require bonus summons and you can have one of each Music Sheet out. The buffs they provide are noticeable enough, plus the bonus damage they provide will make a huge difference.

Wait, is Bard actually good solo?

Can host upload the server world?

So, after completing most of the content of Calamity and Tremor, I've decided to turn them both off and start fresh with just Thorium and Spirit. Calamity and Tremor are not well balanced for each other, which I realized when I accidentally beat the final megaboss of Tremor without half trying, while still in the early stages of Calamity's ridiculous boss string (where you need to farm boss A to get the stuff to summon boss B which you need to farm to get the stuff for boss C and so on).
Tremor's bosses were fun, and some of Calamity's bosses were fun (Providence and Bumblebirb were pretty neat), but some of that shit was so absurd that I didn't even feel like I won afterwards (looking at you cosmic devourer, five phases and then a surprise respawn to do it all over again? pure anger fueled my victory).
It wound up with my having Calamity weapons that dealt all debuffs per hit plus screen-clearing on-swing projectiles plus 1000 damage per hit, with armor and accessories that made me immune to all debuffs, let me fly almost forever, let me move almost faster than I could reasonably control, heal on every damage tick I or my minions dealt, heal on every damage tick that enemies dealt to me, and so on.
I highly recommend Magic Storage and Enemy Affixes mods.
Magic Storage adds a system where you can put together a centralized storage network, though it takes considerable time and resources to assemble and then upgrade. It's great so you can just throw everything into one box, access it from wherever you need it, and craft straight out of your entire item pool at once rather than a million tiny chests all over the place.
Enemy Affixes just adds weapon affixes to enemies randomly, so you get Huge enemies and Godly enemies and Slow enemies and so on. Their size and speed other stats all change as you'd expect, and it spices things up a bit, particularly during invasions or blood moons.

tldr of above: Calamity gets fucking absurd like an acid trip and trivializes all other content. Unsure about Tremor. Magic Storage Mod and Enemy Affixes Mod are dope.

Forgot pic of Huge Zombie from affixes mod and also some magic storage mod components (box with green cross is main storage hub, box with blue cross behind my character is crafting hub that you insert crafting stations into modularly and customize it to craft what you want, conduits connect them to the actual storage units which are upgradable chests that you don't directly access - red LED on them means it's full yellow means it contains items).

I keep messaging Server-user, and I'm getting no reply.