Dark Souls before Dark Souls

Its come to my attention that Onimusha was practically the Dark Souls before Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne, and Nioh. I didn't really realize it until i started playing it again recently in an emulator. So why does everyone refer to games as Dark Souls clones, instead of Onimusha Clones, when Onimusha did it first? Was there an even earlier example of a dodge and strike game that relied upon collecting souls? I was so young in the early 90's I don't even remember as I wasn't allowed to play anything but Sonic until like 1998.

Because dark souls was the one that got the most popular. Also I predict nothing but shitposting to occur in this thread.

But my real question is, are there any games before Onimusha to do this?

Probably. The formula of "hard dodge and strike" is extremely general.

Nono, specifically collecting souls, dodging, timing hits, and it has to be in 3D.

You really are a jaded piece of shit if you can't notice the glaring similarities.

Is Onimusha the Dark Souls of Resident Evil?

I don't know, but it seems the shitposters have caught wind, so good luck OP.

and you aren't even trying with this shit anymore

Resident Evil doesnt coun't because you don't collect Souls and you mostly use guns. Devil May Cry is too stylish to count and really is its own genre. I'm talking slow awkward timed combat with the focus of dodging, striking, and collecting souls, leveling up, and saving at magic mirrors, shrines, bonfires etc.

Demons=Demons
Magic Mirrors=Bonfires, Shrines
Souls=Souls
Precision Combat=Precision Combat
Lockon Combat=Lock on Combat
Dodging/Blocking=Dodging,Blocking Rolling
Puzzles=Puzzles

I think you mean Demons' Souls.
I think you mean King's Field.

What's king's field? Maybe I'll give that a go too.

Those are some nice souls you're collecting.

Morrowind before Morrowind

Nah that's in first person, i wouldn't say it counts. I'm talking specifically 3rd person 3D combat, that involves dodging, rolling, lockon combat collecting souls, savepoints, etc.

Dark Souls is the Evangelion of anime

Would be a shame if someone took them all.

Onimusha is resident evil, how can it be dark souls nigger

STOP IT RIGHT FUCKING NOW

Bust seriously those guys arent as bad as the fucking archers that pick you off while you're trying to fight a boss.

Subhumans.

Also roll for your fap

That's a very cute Marisa.

When I think Resident Evil, I think Re4, every game before that was practically Silent Hill with a zombie skin. Besides it can't be Resident Evil if you're fighting demons, then it would be Devil May Cry (i.e. resident evil with demons)

Therefore its closer to Devil May Cry than Resident Evil, but ultimately Devil May Cry is just mechanically different and therefore its own genre.

That's some top tier autism op.

You stupid motherfuckers. All of you.

Sadly OP's autism won't let him accept that game, as you don't collect soul-like objects after defeating enemies, which is necessary for him to recognize a game as being soul-like.

Every Marisa is very cute.

Onimusha was literally Resident Evil with swords

This game looks like what im talking about, except for the soul collecting. Tell me are there save points, or can you just save anywhere? How do you level up?

This guy is a moron.

But user. Onimusha is much more forgiving than Dark Souls, at least regarding wasted time.

You are too optimistic if you think nu/v/ played that

come on man

If anything its harder because of the fucked up camera angles and tight spaces, there are no introductory builds, and there are only 3 swords, and very limited stat distribution.

Is Nioh the Onimusha of Dark Souls or the Dark Souls of Onimusha?

But when you die you don't lose all your points and don't get retarded debufs that make you easier to die.

At least in Demons Souls.

It's clearly inspired by both, though I imagine games featuring samurai fighting demons aren't exactly in short supply.

It's the Samurai Champloo of Zelda.

Onimusha is Onimusha, but Dark Souls very clearly took inspiration from it. Nioh is probably a modern return to form, with a little Ninja Gaiden added in for fair measure.

Nioh shouldn't really be lumped in with those games as if they're the same thing. It only plays like a Souls game if you don't take advantage of any of the unique mechanics it encourages you to play around with (ki pulsing, stance switching, combining the two, customisable movesets, depriving enemies of their stamina, Living Weapon essentially being a pseudo-Devil Trigger, etc). It's also a lot faster than any of them.
The influence is clearly there, but the similarities between Nioh and the Souls games are mostly superficial things like HUD layout and position of the camera when you lock on.

So its more like Ninja Gaiden then?
That's what I assumed from the gameplay I saw, like a wonky mix of Ninja Gaiden with Dark Souls sprinkled in.

ocarina of time and xbox ninja gayden

Oh shit im an idiot, I forgot about Zelda.

How the fuck is this possible?

That game was great. Although the knights stage was probably the best starting stage with all of the tricks and traps.

For fuck's sake it even has the Moonlight Sword, is made by From and you collect souls in it.

Just fucking kill me

Kind of. Think a bit of Demon's/Dark Souls, a bit of Ninja Gaiden and a loot system similar to Diablo. You can juggle enemies like in NG as well but it's more difficult to do. Check out embed related, it's beta footage but it's mostly similar still.

Theres no Jumping right?

1. autism
2. prerecorded gameplay and he's just mashing closely enough to be convincing

I could give less of a shit about 360 emulation, but I hope the two XBox emulators currently being worked on come through.

Zelda II.

Yeah, there's no dedicated jump button, but there are moves for every type of weapon that allow you to jump. The jumping moves for the spear and kusarigama (embed related) in particular let you jump quite high.
Embed related also shows that enemies can juggle you if they hit you while in mid-air, which is another difference from the Souls games. In general, enemies in Nioh play by the same rules the player does a lot more closely than enemies in the Souls series do.

Pong was Dark Souls before Dark Souls, because it was dark and you collect souls (points) and can dodge by moving the paddle up

I have a pertinient question, with the skins, can you also wear different clothing and armor? Or is it just basically like Way of the Samurai with a wearable model?

what's the dark souls of 8bit video games?

Oni Musha was just Resident Evil with katanas.

I already said Zelda II, holy crap do kids even read threads anymore?

Guess it depends on what defines the Souls-like experience. Personally, I always thought it was the build making, multiplayer components, bloodstain and the constant auto-saving that makes you live with some decisions like spending items or attacking NPCs (though there's ways to mend this, it's not immediately apparent) are what made it unique.
Onimusha 3 is one of my favorite PS2 titles with a surprising amount of depth to its combat as well as a shit ton of extras. It's one HD collection I'd probably goy for (provided it came with dual audio and, preferably, uncensored) but Capcom decided to ignore the series. The incredibly disappointing Dawn of Dreams was too ambitious for its current gen and showed the series needed to make the jump but with nuCapcom, I'd rather just plug the PS2 and play the ones I have.

Archers in these games are evil. Fuckers will hold a arrow for as long as it takes for you to press a button; blatant input reading bullshit.
Still, what about those little fuckers flying out of reach and casting those binding spells that circle you for a goddamned hour?

threads are the dark souls of reading

I wish the retards saying it was resident evil with katanas would fuck off, there was very little if any physical combat in resident evil and the combat was completely different.

Shit thread aside, I fucking played the shit out of the first Onimusha game. Was one of the first games I got for PS2.

The skins are wearable models, but it changes voice clips and animations too.

katanas are the dark souls of guns

King's Field was Dark Souls before Dark Souls. Miyazaki himself even said that what he laid down in King's Field was the foundation for Dark Souls, which is bascially a combination of all the original ideas from King's Field and Shadow Tower but added a different leveling mechanic and dodging in a third person combat. Even the basics combat and non-linear progression is the same.

It's literally Resident Evil in feudal Japan but uses "demon souls" as experience. Oh I see, it's the same because it has "Demon Souls". What a faggot.

I guess this is what it's like being born in 1999.

also I'm so sick and tired of this fucking "x is like dark souls" meme. Fuck off with this shit already.

I love it, its one of the many weebgames I have.

Weeb Games:
-Shenmue
-Shenmue 2
-Yakuza 1
-Yakuza 2
-Tenchu 1
-Tenchu 2
-Tenchu 3
-Tenchu Shadow Assasins (4)
-Tenchu Time of the Assassins
-Blood Will Tell
-Chulip
-Aragami
-M&B gekokujo(suguroku)
-Way of the Samurai 1
-Way of the Samurai 2
-Way of the Samurai 3
-Way of the Samurai 4
-Shadow Tactics
-Shinobi
-Bujingai: The Forsaken City
-Onimusha
-Onimusha 2
-Onimusha 3
-Onimusha Dawn of Dreams(4)
-Nioh

Set in Japan:
-Hitman(2016)
-Hitman Blood Money
-Tokyo42

Chinaboo Games:
-Sleeping Dogs
-Jade Empire

1993 actually

But it literally is like Dark Souls, not because its difficult, but because of the glaring gameplay similarities. So is Zelda now that I think about it.

This shit's fucking bait at this point, it spawned from the headline of a clickbait article.

Sure.

Fucking loved Tenchu Wrath of Heaven. Getting to play the doctor/assassin who jams needles into people's skulls was awesome.

He was a buddhist monk, not a doctor

rolling this shit

Is Dark Souls the Grand Turismo of fighting games?

Onimusha was the Dark Souls of Soul Blazer

Zelda II

because its not anything like Dark Souls you fucking retard.

>>>/4chan/

dark souls is the dark souls of game similarities

Kys

Dark Souls is 3D Zelda without the training wheels and Metroidvania level design.

shame on you

>>>/cuckchan/

I agree with this, it was stupid of me to forget Zelda. Is it too late to just make the thread about Onimusha, instead of arguing whether or not it it has similarities to Dark Souls?

Yes, way too late.
Either start lurking more or just fucking leave entirely.

I don't care if its from From Software, it looks like a bad daggerfall. Onimusha resembles darksouls more than this shit.

Why you haven't been banned yet for being a fucking neofag refugee is the million dollar question.

Except i've never been to Neogaf in my life and hate them for being liberal faggot sjws, so stop being a tryhard and either contribute to the discussion or fuck off.

I love those things once you can reliably kill them, because they increase the amount of souls.

Yeah but most of the time they just dissapear before I can kill them

Like right now?

daggerfall is already a bad daggerfall. the kingsfield games are mostly combat oriented ultima underworld.

if your reference for first person fantasy games is the elder scrolls, you really need to kill yourself

Didn't Elder Scrolls come directly after Ultima Underworld? I never much cared about first person melee, so I don't know much about the genre, but I thought Elder Scrolls sprang into existence immediately after UU2 and were the only games in the genre for a long time.

Destiny is the Dark Souls of cumskins getting btfo!

Just like people thought all the fruit games were a fruit ninja clone when in reality fruit ninja was a shitty fruit slice clone. A game made earlier and still better. But fruit ninja got famous instead.

huge if true

Check em

I am surrounded by Children.

Onimusha came out before 2007.

OP is a cuckchanner
He even made a second thread to prove it

check my dubs

Dark Souls came out at the right time. Years of casualized games meant DaS would stand out big time against the rest.

I always feel very slightly upset when I hear people talking about Ninja Gaiden and realize they aren't talking about pic related.
I'm not certain why.

That's really one of the downfalls of the game, the knight feels like the only really polished and 'complete' character, whereas all the others are a bit lacking in some way or another, although the barbarian isn't far behind the knight.

Is Dark Souls the Dark Souls of Dark Souls?

dubs

I don't think Miyazaki had anything to do with King's Field… IIRC he did draw inspirations for Dark Souls from playing King's Field.

Miyazaki played the King's Field games when he was younger and it was one of the reasons he applied to work at FromSoftware in the first place. Demon's Souls also started out as a formal King's Field reboot (in the same vein as Shadow Tower) before Miyazaki was handed the project.

kings field 1 came out the same year as arena. Arena was terrible. Daggerfall was terrible. """""""'people""""""" like morrowind and since then think the elder scrolls is the only game of its type.

What is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls?

Mario Party Advance

King's Field was nips pathetic attempt to rip off Elder Scrolls

this is the reddit race in action

i have a xbot 3shitty and never heard of it

deal with it nerd, even shadow tower was shit. king's Field is pure garbage.

im so happy the elder scrolls invented the first person fantasy game, truly todd howards revolutionary vision the game industry never deserved

you can bitch and moan all you want nerd, as shitty as elder scrolls is, nips tried to rip it off

yeah, its not like the elder scrolls started as a ripoff of a far better game from far better developers, no way. you retard.

Is Holla Forums the dark souls of image boards?

Yes unfortunately…

It's not the gameplay that made Dark Souls popular, it's the superior western themes.

Woah OP is Ninja Gaiden the Dork Souls of action games now?

Why do people need to compare everything to fucking Dark Souls? How do good games draw out the faggotry from within the hearts of men.

The fuck is wrong with you?

Nigger detected

user, if you're going to communicate with other humans, you have to speak in terms strictly as they're used and not just assume everyone can read your mind, or you'll just look like a big idiot.

Daggerfall had a god tier dungeon generator. I wish there were more games which were inspired by that.

Fix this right now

OP its called Action Adventure. Demon Souls only got famous, because it was the only not shit Action Adventure Game after a long drought.
I know its hard to imagine for young gamers, but we used to have several franchise of Action Adventure Games on all platforms that had the same production quality of the Souls Series.

Can't be emulated
Fuck I forgot
Kill Yourself
Its a bad game…
Can't be Emulated

I mean people on this board are retarded but I had no fucking idea where these idiots come from. Jesus Christ man you are even making OP look better

Dodged that joke really well

How can King's Field be the japanese version of wizardry when nips have developed their own Wizardry games? Also, it's nothing like Wizardry, like not even remotely.

Just call it the Dark Souls™ of Wizardry-Likes™.

Was the best of the games born from RE4s prototypes.

PC port never ever.

God bless you, boy.

Was the best of the games born from RE4s prototypes.

PC port never ever.

What
The
Helll
Is FROM software up to right now?

Dark Souls before Dark souls is Rune you twats.

They're planning some new game and making Armored Core 6

THe third one got a shit-ass port, though.

Don't play with my heart like that, user, don't you dare be false!

Is this bait? If not go google kings field and get used to First person slashing with a comfy atmosphere.

I saw that one but never again; plus it was long before their current ports which I haven't heard anything negative so far.

First person RPG's have been a thing for quite a while. Enjoy your (you).

Wizadry and Ultima put down the foundation for a large amount of Japanese RPG game including Final Fantasy and King's Field.
It's set in real time and is therefore much more action oriented and you only control one character but even the PSP King's Field games are probably the closets the series has to come to outright copying Wizardry, of course with their own twist on things.

Wizardry ended up being way bigger in Japan than in America, right? As for Ultima, Final Fantasy definitely took inspiration there since the NES versions of those games look pretty similar.

Are the armored core games worth playing? I watched some game play and couldn't understand what I was watching

Wait, I thought it was resident evil

Are we being baited?

All you just said is that the nips ripped off a ripoff. You didn't contradict his statement at all.

Huh, I've got a copy of that game on my desk right now. It's not really the most difficult game, but the 100+ levels makes it a huge timesink.

GAME JOURNALISTS GO HOME

DQ took inspiration from Wizardry and when it proved itself successful; FF was made as a final attempt to save Squares ass the first time they were about to go bankrupt.

Yes though it varies by game. If you enjoy speedy robots; Armored Core 4 is the one you should go for

you're fucking retarded and ur mom's a whore. onimusha games were like dmc1 (or the other way around) with a bit of resident evil, and nothing at all like niohsoulsborne games.

holocaust before lie

DQ isn't shit at all like Wizardry. Wizardry has you in one town with one massive dungeon. DQ has multiple towns and dungeons with a world map. It's more like Ultima, in that regard.

10-15 Yeas before Dark Souls, everything was as "hard" as Dark Souls. It's the timing that did it, not the gameplay. Teenagers thought it's some unique shit because they didn't know otherwise and that's that.