This pisses me off

This pisses me off

They integrate an OS and third-party app support but give fuck all options to configure the picture. There are good upscaling algorithms but they usually use a shitty one and give no options to turn then off or configure them.

Your complaint has been noted.

Why would I buy a new console or own a 4k TV for that matter?

4k is a meme

Joke's on him, BOTW is actually 900p

Aren't TVs a meme at this point? You sit two feet from your 21 inch monitor that cost 180 bucks or 8 feet from your 50 inch tv that cost several grand. I am not good at math but my initial calculations suggest it is 15,000 times better to use the monitor.

I've not even seen what 4k looks like yet and already I hear about 8k. What has to happen to have a generally accepted standard like 1080p? There was 720 and 1080i but they gave way. Aside from games, what can you do with a 4k tv? My relatives have one and they only have 1080p devices running on it.

You're a retard. The way it's done is done right. Decoding the proper gradient color between the 4 pixels is the right way to do it, otherwise it's a very jagged image and requires you to sit twice as far away.

a 4ktv has 4 pixerls in the same square area that a 1080p tv has 1 pixel you fucking dolt

Yeah and aggregating the proper gradient between the 4 pixels in relation to those around it is the proper way to do it, you mong.

Its actually a love seat. because everything I do is ghetto as fuck. And I told you the data was raw damn it.

My cheapo 4K TV looks fine when upscaling 1080p. Maybe it's because I sit too far to notice but it actually looks pretty smooth. Also isn't that shitty Zelda game only 900p?

pfft dude just get a fucking crt lmao

theres one 4k crt, barco reality 909 and quite a few 1080p crts

What is the point

What innocent bliss am I missing?

kek. You're at least right about 4k being a meme though.

One little sentence got 5 (you)s. I'd say that's pretty good

I kek'd.

I kek'd again.

THIS IS WHAT NINTENDRONES ACTUALLY BELIEVE

there are 16:9 crts, even john carmack had one during development of quake, a 1920x1080 crt.

Extended VGA has a resolution up to 1080p. If you had a computer back then with VGA monitor chances are you had a CRT at least 720p. I don't remember what resolution my forst VGA monitor was, but I do know it was 75hz. Something most LCDs today still can't do.

Jagged sharpness is superior to smeared potato shit.

i just want a crt that spits out a nice enough resolution at a really high refresh rate

That's going by the assumption that they're both the exact same size, which they probably aren't. 4k televisions tend to be larger than 1080p televisions.

Because your fetish is to be spied on by the government?

We were so close. Toshiba fucking shits.

CRT fags once again revealed whiny teens who know fuck all. Capped for future generations

Instead of bitching, fix the problem? Stupid entitled fuck.

Are you retarded?

dumb americans

I'm a pretty shit graphics programmer, but I'm pretty sure that's incredibly retarded. Where did you get this picture?

It's called pixel doubling, and even fucking Apple does it. TV manufacturers know that their average consumer is retarded.

Guys I can't work out what this picture is trying to convey. Be real with me am I too old or just retarded

Kill yourself, gooncunt.

4K is exactly double the pixels in both dimensions of 1080p. 1080p is 1920x1080, and 4K is 3840x2160 (yes, it's not even actually 4K in either dimension. Yes "4K" is a retarded marketing buzzword).
The picture is complaining that TV manufacturers have their 4K TVs upscale a 1080p picture with a smoothing interpolation (like bilinear or cubic) instead of just treating 4 4K pixels as if they were 1 1080p pixel. I'm inclined to agree, as bilinear interpolation always looks like ass, and people who disagree are either blind or the same faggots who use smoothing filters in emulators. It still didn't need its own thread, and OP is retarded.

fuck off, euroshit. we kicked your ass in ww2 and we'll do it again.

see the following two images
1 is 1080p scaled nearest neighbour, just like op describes; 2 is scaled cubic, this isn't 100% accurate, usually your tv adds more input lag due to scaling dependent on settings

Gotta look good for daddy government.

Aight thanks for helping this old man out, gents

Being invaded by jews is not kicking anybody's ass

why did all tv manufacturers agree that rectangles were the ideal way to view images on a screen? I want to see the rise of rhombuses

being invaded by muslims, not being allowed to own guns and getting arrested for "hate speech" is sure a lot better

I also want to know. I have a 4k TV, but not sure what can run 4k on it. does switch do 4k because I often play switch on it

The one on the right is closer to what the developer intended.

This actually depends by developers, some of them took into account the blending that'll be on old tv's to mix colors and edges. Though others actually attempted good pixel art

You want a raw, unfiltered image on videos and the like? I can understand not preferring pixel art to be filtered, but for everything else raw upscaling will look grainy as hell.

You're spot on, by the way. I love how jagged everything looks!

Yes. It doesn't look "grainy", if anything it would look aliased, and it's only doubling so it's not extreme at all.

Really proves your point when you have to lie to make my point look bad.
Here's an actual example of doubling vs bilinear interpolation.

Depends on your TV provider. Some cable providers have it. Netflix has a bunch of 4K stuff. There are 4K blu rays. So far, it's pretty slim pickings.
All that really has to happen is enough people buying it to justify producing the content at that resolution.

No. Most Switch games don't even do 1080p. It's all upscaled.

Whats the difference then between upscaled and native? Mario switch sure looks way better on my 4k tv than my 1080p tv.

Animation isn't a good example to use, since we talking about games.

Your image on the left does that job for me. If you enjoy alias-ridden messes, then by all means, enjoy your stew of pixel vomit. Looks even worse on 3D w/ lackluster anti-aliasing applied (you know, typical stuff found on the Switch).

Hello Leon. Rid me of this floating head

I know console wars are prohibited, but these shenanigans are laughable.
You get proper 4k in neither case, and sub-30 fps in your one brain cell games in both.
I honestly believe that there should be two separate boards for console and for PC games, it would fix all these shit threads.

How is the gun control going on for you, lad?

Lol

(checked)
But it's hip to be square

lol consolefags

That sounds like the USA to me

I'm studying for an exam on the subject matter, stop fucking me up

Yep. There's not a single 4K display that does nearest neighbour scaling of 1080p content. They all use some form of vaseline interpolation. It's a fucking joke. 4K is a meme and will remain one until this is fixed.

Nvidia are testing nearest scaling on linux drivers at the moment. So it'll be 12-18 months before we see it in windows.

BOTW was 900p on the switch wasn't it?

What dickweeds like you don't understand, is that if you sharpen up blurry pixels, you get pixellization instead, and it's a much worse looking artifact. Why do you think people invest resources into anti-aliasing?

You know what, looking back I really don't regret being a tech slowpoke.
It used to bother me that some of my friends jumped into HD gaming right away when PS3 came out and HDTVs were crazy expensive.
I always took some time to get into things, mostly for monetary reasons. And I can only imagine how enraged and frustrated I would feel if I had gotten myself into an expensive as fuck hobby just to deal with trouble after trouble and poor performance issues that require me to seek help on the internet. If I'm paying top dosh for something, it better not require me to fix it myself

There can be no console wars if all of the consoles are shit which has been the case for 12 years now.
You can only discuss which one is the least shit and the answer is the Switch which still has nogames, has the usual Nintendo kike stink into it and is essencially a response to the WiiU trainwreck essencially making it a 9th Gen console ahead of Sony and Microsoft and released 4 years after the fact

I had massive box from the 80's right up until it finally broke in like 2009. I miss it. N64 looks like ass in HD.

Go pretend you know what the fuck you're talking about back on Holla Forums please.

Are you mentally ill?

I see you are too dumb to comprehend such simple concepts. Let me break this down for you:

Imagine if there were no hardware pixels and pixel sharpness/blurryness could be controlled in software so that you can choose on the scale from completely smooth color transition to a perfectly sharp cutoff solid color square. Then you could display any resolution with any pixel sharpness. If you have only one specific resolution actually available (1080p) then you couldn't make the picture any sharper by fiddling with the settings, you could only make it smoother or more pixellated looking. This is an analog to integer vs interpolation situation on real monitors.

Go be retarded somewhere else.

Are you guys literal niggers?

You say the Switch is the least shit while also bringing up points against it making it sound like the most shit. The least shit is the PS4 which is the only console out right now that has games.

*Game

That's not Yakuza 0.

I didn't say it was great or perfect; the content isn't going to look really great unless it's in the native resolution. I'm saying that the pixel barf on the left looks way better than the fuzzy blurry shit on the right.

If you're going to make a console make sure it's offering something else. Not the same thing but worse.

The actual reason to want nearest-neighbor upscaling is lag. Especially if you're forced by exclusivecucked devs to play on already extremely laggy native consoles, since console games now have multiple frames of in-engine lag before video even leaves the console. Added onto the inherent lag of 30/60 FPS, LCDs, wireless controllers, and everything else in modern console gaming, the laggy postprocessing in HDTVs (worse than 250ms for certain modes on some TVs) can push total latency up to nearly a half second.

TVs were originally circular, due to that being the optimal shape for CRTs. This is also why we measure displays by diagonal size, rather than the aspect-ratio-neutral total area.

Yup, Switch rescales it internally to 1080p.