4x/Economy/Colonization

4X/Economy/Colonization games.

What games do this best? I love the comfy feeling of building up cities or colonies from scratch, and managing resources.

Recommend me some games similar to Imperialism/Civ: Colonization/Settlers, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

myabandonware.com/game/monopoly-tycoon-a3e#download
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wikipedia claims pic related is a 4X game. I didn't realize they could be action?

My problem with a great many of these games is that expansion of micromanagement in late game to the point where they become exhausting. What are some games that attempt to address this successfully?

Distant worlds has a helpfull AI management.

I can't get into distant worlds. It either plays itself or i drive my empire into the ground on anything other than easy difficulty. Just how should i balance automation? I tend to spam "build mining station" a lot and always end up with queues not completing, or a complete lack of resources to build shit because there aren't enough mining stations.

Well for starters, I've found that the AI is competent at waging war but absolutely retarded when it comes to when to start or end them. It seems to be fine at managing mining stations (mostly) but you ought to go out of your way to select certain places for mining. You can just select a million things if you like, but it is going to take awhile for it to chug through them (build more construction vehicles for faster building, goes without saying). I'm almost entirely not-automated now, I just let the machine run the actual battles (mostly). Because I absolutely hate military micromanagement, it's boring, frustrating and lame.
To try to summarize, I'd recommend no more automation than Ship Design, Intelligence Missions, Station Construction, Fleet management, Colonization and War waging (but not declarations). I personally manually control the former two as well as everything omitted.

For tips on what mining stuff to build and what not to build, check out your Expansion manager (or whatever it's called, it's the blue jigsaw thing). It can show you how many sources of all materials you have (sources are mines or stations that mine), how many you have stored, how many you have unfulfilled, how many are in the galaxy and maybe more. What I generally do is look at what's unfulfilled and try to scout out a source. Aculon, Nekros stones, Steel, Lead, Gold, Caslon, Hydrogen (and Helium?) tend to be pretty useful, specifically Caslon (fuel), Steel and Lead (building material), I think, are commonly necessary but like I said: Check the expansion page, it'll tell you what you need and what you have none of.
Or, in short; Build mining stations when your empire needs that resource but has no source, or not enough sources, other than that probably pass. It's also better to build mining stations in a solar system where you already have a colony (with a spaceport, preferably) because of how resources are moved around. On that note, I've also found having spaceports at every colony to be extremely useful, cuts down on refueling times, increases happiness (and therefore tax revenue), protects the colony (a little) and a myriad of other benefits.

Also, nice dubs.

You could always play Sword of the Stars. Expansion and colony management is pretty hands off in the first one. So it ends up as a bit more of a war game with various Star Trek like alien threats showing up occasionally to fuck your shit up. The second one is a completely different beast and the AI used to have an issue with bankrupting itself because it had no idea how to effectively manage their stuff.

Caesar III. Vid related, although he's not playing very well, so don't feel like you have to play his way.

Wikipedia is staffed by retards.

Basically any time a guy spends a lot of time discussing his strategy and talks about frustrating problems that trouble him, take that as a sign his strategy isn't actually very good, since the point of a gameplay strategy is to minimize frustrations. The whole donut layout shit he does is not necessary either and by his own admission he fucks himself out of the better houses by doing that.

For a proper scale progression to occur (which I think it one of the greatest allures of these types of games), management down to the finest details should be able to gain you an advantage early in the game. Then, at some point when players have expanded or progressed technologically far enough, it needs to stop providing that advantage. As long as micromanagement gives any sort of advantage to the player that does it, players are going to do it. So the idea should be perhaps to research a technology or setup an infrastructure at some point that performs these sorts of high-detail managements automatically and most optimally once a civilization has progressed to a certain level. What are some 4X games that do this?

nice taste

have you guys seen Oriental Empires btw?
I've heard it from another, looked it up today and pirated it
its an amazing 4x crossover from civ to total war,
set in ancient china, seems like they've nailed the perfect mix in that game design

DW is pretty damn good too, very satisfying settling on new worlds, building resource stations and watching your civilian freighters take over

Try star ruler if you haven't already. The economy of scale means that after about two hours you really don't care what your planets are doing as long as they're not draining resources.

Has anyone tried civ6 ? Im willing to give it a try despite the atrocious artstyle

Isn't it pozzed with all kind of SJW bullshit?

I dont know, what could they possibly pozz in a civ game?

Monopoly tycoon is a god damn blast, yes the graphics are ass-fuck ugly but the systems behind it are pretty complicated and have a depth thats just unexpected from what looks like a kiddie game.

Its about managing your buisness empire, but it also ties into prices, auctions, undercutting your foes, community polls, building buisness infastructure. Honestly this game is unexpectedly depe.

also…

myabandonware.com/game/monopoly-tycoon-a3e#download

you're welcome.

Christ, what next? A differently-abled person?

That Win95 era interface reminds me of Stars! which was a damn fine 4X game. It was before its time with stuff like customizing your race and designing ships. If you're not the type that needs a modern UI you would probably like it.

I don't think so if Civilization wants to stay somewhat historically accurate. There's a reason why retards or cripples weren't allowed to rule.

because they'd get fucking murdered before they ever got the chance. History has been a meritocracy untill a while a go, lad.

The very first Master of Orion was surprisingly good at keeping micromanagement in check. Planet management works with sliders instead of buildings and queues, so you don't really need to check on them often, and it automatically prompts you for the usual cases of slider changes being useful (Industry fully built up > switches to research, new terraforming tech researched > option to increase eco spending on all your planets to terraform, etc) Manages to be a fun game nonetheless because the decision making in general is interesting. It also doesn't drag too hard - wars with a decisive tech edge finish fast and you can just declare yourself winner with 2/3 of galactic pop to avoid some of the endgame slog.

coming from someone who really liked the art style
its shit, stay away

end yourself

Oh i see. If brazil can be considered a civilization, anyone can.

to be fair by all estimates Pedro II was an okay ruler. If only he couldve passed it on ot his son, maybe, just maybe brazil wouldn't be the shithole it is now.

Is Civ VI fixed yet

He was the first thief in Brazil, every favela is full of his descendants.

Literally this

It's not like there weren't Black queens in Africa, as it is recognizes by even the fucking Bible:

>Acts 8:26-40
>26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” 27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian[a] eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”

For reference, this is the historical Queen Amanitore.

Alpha Centauri for balance, Endless Legend for unique factions.

Literal anti-Scythian propaganda invented to say they had to have their women do their fighting for them
That ship has sailed.

My fucking sides.

Its not the black its the fat you dumb faggot.

To be fair, at least it's mentioned on Herodotus, so her story has historical pedigree. If someone ever heard about Tomyris, that's what they know about her.

It would be like a game showing Nero as a bloodthirsty tyrant who set Rome alight to play his lire and recite poetry. That's the accepted "historical" version we got of his rule, even if that's probably just a Judeo-Christian lie.

Did Fireaxis ever explained why they made her so fat? Her effigy clearly has a big ass and saggy tits, but not obese.

What the fuck is Goscinny doing here

it's so weird that this game is so fucking bad wonder what happened

Wanted to post this.

test

No